Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m gonna vote for trapping and dispatching outside of the residence in a legal manner. Do the homework on this before you start firing shots in your attic and hurt someone or get a swat team called out.
And don’t put this shit on youtube to give the anti gun “animal lovers”  more gun control arguments.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask a pro for guidance
@Lorax
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
22 shorts might work but shot placement will be critical. Why not live trap, haul them out of town and shoot them with something suitable there?
View Quote

Racoons be hard as hell to live trap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
22 shorts might work but shot placement will be critical. Why not live trap, haul them out of town and shoot them with something suitable there?
View Quote

This is what I would do.  Raccoons are some of the easiest to bait in to a trap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#5]

You need a gun to catch a pesky racoon ? Yeah that's what you need is a rotten Coon in you're attic stinking up the whole house. Great ideal Einstein. This is funny, grab the popcorn....
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m gonna vote for trapping and dispatching outside of the residence in a legal manner. Do the homework on this before you start firing shots in your attic and hurt someone or get a swat team called out.
And don’t put this shit on youtube to give the anti gun “animal lovers”  more gun control arguments.
View Quote

"Homework" is being done here in GD. I appreciate all of the suggestions and definitely had concerns about getting to meet the SWAT guys. Trapping and outdoor neutralization seems to be the best plan going forward. Being a "tool junkie", this might be a good excuse to acquire a good air gun though. The Crosman with silencer that was posted looks interesting!

The pre-charge air guns are cool but way pricey. Could buy/build a decent AR for what those cost.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have live trapped several.  It's easy with cat food or a can of tuna.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Crosman 2240.
Got a birthday notification from Midway and it was here before my birthday. 80 bucks delivered.
Got the suppressor, barrel and optic mounts from Buck Rail, the skeleton stock on ebay (new) and had the reflex sight sitting in a box unused.
So maybe a tad over 200 now and I  put the brakes on it unto Christmas. There will be more mods in the future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Finished this last week. It will penetrate a Palm tree through the bark and make it bleed at 30 feet. (tree is coming down anyways)
17.75 grain domed pellet is on the heavy side for a .22 air pistol, but it hits hard and is accurate. The suppressor works great, better than I thought it would, the 14.6 inch barrel bumped the velocity up a good 100fps also.
So far I have under $200 in to it and it's fun to shoot. I think it will dispatch a trash panda in an attic fairly easy with a head shot. If it doesn't then it's Jabberwocky time !

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279984/20231020_121757_jpg-3012641.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279984/20231029_133100_jpg-3012642.JPG

Nice! That would be perfect even if I just use it to off them after live-trapping. Which model is that?

Crosman 2240.
Got a birthday notification from Midway and it was here before my birthday. 80 bucks delivered.
Got the suppressor, barrel and optic mounts from Buck Rail, the skeleton stock on ebay (new) and had the reflex sight sitting in a box unused.
So maybe a tad over 200 now and I  put the brakes on it unto Christmas. There will be more mods in the future.

Just scrolling back through the thread this morning. Thanks, gonna look into that! Was looking at the Crosman Custom Shop online but couldn't get it to work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I like using the heavy duty one ways over their access point. Then that has to be fixed solid once the critter is out.

If live trapping, depending on roof line, area, time of year, etc, I'll set a live trap or two up on a shelf by the hole outside baited with marshmallows.

But usually, if they have been going in and out for a while, you will see plenty of sign, dirty smudging on gutters, rooflines, soffits that have been pushed up. Things like that. They will definitely let you know where and how they are getting in.

Exclusion every time. Anything else is not going to stop it from happening again, or allowing squirrels and mice to start using the hole the coons were using. You just replace one problem with another.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We've tried a live trap with various bait, but they seem to avoid it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've tried a live trap with various bait, but they seem to avoid it.

Have you tried marshmallows?  I’ve yet to see a critter that can resist marshmallows.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]

This, but a legit one used for deer hunting. Worse case if you miss is a small hole in the drywall.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just scrolling back through the thread this morning. Thanks, gonna look into that! Was looking at the Crosman Custom Shop online but couldn't get it to work.
View Quote

Buck Rail is great with products and pricing. Fast shipping too.
I had a piece of slag fall out of the suppressor and emailed them and asked if that was normal. They said it wasn't and sent me a another one with no charge.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Haveaheart traps, take them outside far away and release .
View Quote

Release them?  Hell no, drop them in a 55 gal drum of water for 3 min and be done with them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you shoot at them in the attic, you will end up with holes in your roof.

Ask me how I know.

Conibear size 330 traps are the answer.

Nothing survives a Conibear.

Although I did once have a racoon in my attic try to steal a Conibear that had a squirrel trapped in it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/conibear-trap-330wolf6_photobucket_jpg-3012779.JPG
View Quote

Wow, where can you trap like that?  Alaska?

Here is WI, the DNR is so worried that little miss, Suburbia McFloppiebelly will be walking her $60,000 prize winning Shit Poo in the woods and it will find a body grip set for canines...

We can only use body grips on elevated or water sets...  :(
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've honestly not tried it, but know a guy who claims a popular fly bait drops them within a few feet.

We had some coon trouble this year.
Those things aren't staying in her attic, they're going out to eat etc.
We got some dog proof coon traps and put mini marshmallows in them. Worked great! Much better than the live trap cages IMO.
View Quote

Golden Malrin and Coke.

A coon won't get more than 3 feet from it...
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Pics of friend?

you should convince her to have you suck out all the old insulation to clean and then air seal the attic.  There are insulation suckers you can rent or make.

Are you doing this for free?  Loud music and lights are free. She might even have something you can use for that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I once witnessed a friend hit a Raccoon center mass with a CCI 44mag shotshell out of a 8" Model 29 .

Coon was up in the trusses of a addition under construction , my friend walked right under the coon , range must have been 4 or 5 ft so the full load went into the coon.

Coon dropped down to the floor after running around up in the trusses for 40 or 50 seconds leaking blood all over the place. Coon mixed it up with a couple of dogs so the friend couldn't get a second shot into him .

Made a horrible bloody mess out of the new kitchen addition under construction before the coon finally ripped through a plastic covered window opening and made his way outside. My friend let loose a couple more shots at distances of 15 and 25 feet but those shotshells spread pretty fast so the coon ran away into the woody back yard never to be seen again .

Big coons are mean and tough , seems to me anything with a good chance to kill them could easily tear up a house or make holes in the roof . A puncture in a roof is a pai in the ass to fix correctly.

Seems best to trap the bastards and deal with them outside of the house somewhere .

Guy who used to belong to my club had a side business of nuisance trapping . Kind of a mean spirited guy , he claimed he had a sliding scale of how far away he would release the coons and other vermin depending on if he liked the customer or not . ( he really didn't like most folks much and most critters got released barely out of sight of the customer) .
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had a piece of slag fall out of the suppressor and emailed them and asked if that was normal. They said it wasn't and sent me a another one with no charge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading some air gun forums, wow, a guy could really "go down the rabbit hole" with air gun stuff.

Gotta wonder though if 400-500 FPS with a 14gr. pellet would actually deliver a kill shot on a raccoon, even at close range?

.22 Short looks far superior: "22 Short launches a 29-grain (1.9 g) bullet at 1,045 feet per second (319 m/s) with 70 ft·lbf (95 J) of energy from a 22 in (559 mm) rifle barrel and can penetrate 2 inches (51 mm) of soft pine." Would like to see a comparable penetration test with an air gun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Poisoning raccoons outside I can understand but if he ate something in my house that's on him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poison them

Highly illegal. Especially if using the popular raccoon mixture.

I'd hate to see OP charged with a felony over clearing out vermin.
OP "had a problem with flies" in his attic is an hell of lot safer legally than illegal discharge of a firearm in city limits issues.

@shack357 give me some case references for homeowners catching a felony for that and I'll pull the cases from PACER/LEXIS.

It hasn't happened yet as far as I know but it's bound to. Off label use of a poison and mixing an organophosphate.

DNR in IA is on the warpath for people using it on raccoons, ever since spme baby eagles died while people watched the webcam.

Thw poison is very well known, all it takes is one raccoon to die where OP can't find it, he has to call a pro to get it out, and the perspn doing the work makes a phone call.

I'll risk a fine and ass chewing for shooting in city limits over that any day, especially considering the low risk of being caught when it's a .22 short indoors.

Poisoning raccoons outside I can understand but if he ate something in my house that's on him.

And when you dispose of the carcass and something eats it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Have you tried marshmallows?  I’ve yet to see a critter that can resist marshmallows.
View Quote

The ones that can, fall for marshmallows with a couple of drops of anise oil on them.

FYI make SURE you secure a havaheart trap before trying to haul an animal in your vehicle or drown it. They can and will come open when inverted.

Also downspouts are removeable.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Finish the job before trying to take the trap out of the attic.  Critters will try to get at you while you are trying to carry the trap.  I don't trust gloves.

Plus, the trap will be doing a jig with the live, angry critter inside.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Reading some air gun forums, wow, a guy could really "go down the rabbit hole" with air gun stuff.

Gotta wonder though if 400-500 FPS with a 14gr. pellet would actually deliver a kill shot on a raccoon, even at close range?

.22 Short looks far superior: "22 Short launches a 29-grain (1.9 g) bullet at 1,045 feet per second (319 m/s) with 70 ft·lbf (95 J) of energy from a 22 in (559 mm) rifle barrel and can penetrate 2 inches (51 mm) of soft pine." Would like to see a comparable penetration test with an air gun.
View Quote

Aguilla 60grain SSS.  It dispatches racoons quite well and I've never had one go through. 950 fps at the muzzle and 120 ft-lb.  Quieter than my air gun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Let me know if you need ideas for what to release to get rid of the coyotes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. This is perhaps the most fun I've had inside my own head in years. I'm writing the screenplay as I type this.

Let me know if you need ideas for what to release to get rid of the coyotes.
Roadrunners?

Or mountain lion.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#26]
A harpoon so you can reel them in from the other side of the attic.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#27]
One way gate on the entry and exit holes,  then live trap in the attic.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

nope

very easy

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Golden Malrin and Coke.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've honestly not tried it, but know a guy who claims a popular fly bait drops them within a few feet.

We had some coon trouble this year.
Those things aren't staying in her attic, they're going out to eat etc.
We got some dog proof coon traps and put mini marshmallows in them. Worked great! Much better than the live trap cages IMO.

Golden Malrin and Coke.

Correct, you'll have a pile of them near the pan.

My dad used Pepsi, he tried diet Pepsi once but they didn't like it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Poison them
View Quote

Nothing like a rotting raccoon in the house.  

Trap them and dispatch outside.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#31]
No way would I be in an attic with a Racoon at the same time.  They don't attack often, but can. Especially if injured.  I've had to dispatch enough of them in a trap at at short range (basically point blank) , and for the most part, a headshot with my .22 Air rifle does the job...(Benjamin Nitro) but sometimes it takes 2 or even 3 shots.  In the meantime, they are MAD.  

We've trapped them with Tuna in the can at the back of a trap.  Works the best.  Used peanut butter also, but Tuna is best.   I would definitely try the trap method first.  Then killing them in the trap.

I do not like Racoons. They look cute.  But they aren't.  They are disease spreading chicken killers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Poison them
View Quote

Farmer next door uses some gnarly shit, they barely make it 10' from the pan they drink it out of.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#34]
States where it is legal to own a racoon, shown in yellow

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Live trap, cheap canned cat food.
View Quote

Heat the cans up 1st for a few hours

The smell will lure them out

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It hasn't happened yet as far as I know but it's bound to. Off label use of a poison and mixing an organophosphate.

DNR in IA is on the warpath for people using it on raccoons, ever since spme baby eagles died while people watched the webcam.

Thw poison is very well known, all it takes is one raccoon to die where OP can't find it, he has to call a pro to get it out, and the perspn doing the work makes a phone call.

I'll risk a fine and ass chewing for shooting in city limits over that any day, especially considering the low risk of being caught when it's a .22 short indoors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poison them

Highly illegal. Especially if using the popular raccoon mixture.

I'd hate to see OP charged with a felony over clearing out vermin.
OP "had a problem with flies" in his attic is a hell of lot safer legally than illegal discharge of a firearm in city limits issues.

@shack357 give me some case references for homeowners catching a felony for that and I'll pull the cases from PACER/LEXIS.

@shack357

Its not an organophosphate, there is zero phosphorus in the chemical structure of the thing we're talking about.  

You're saying that this is a potential felony charge.  Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rotenticide Act (FIFRA) doesn't have felony penalties, only federally a misdemeanor, even if you kill a couple of kids with fumitoxin.   A quick glance did not show state statues making this a felony in Iowa or Wisconsin, but I'm happy for you to point me to one.  Looks to be less of a legal issue and a lower fine to misuse a pesticide than eat a reckless discharge of a firearm charge in Iowa.

The only part that make sense is that if you kill an eagle with it, that gets to be a big problem.  If OP's lady friend has a lot of eagles in her attic that might be an issue worth considering.

I still vote for trapping and gassing them as the easiest, safest, and most legal option.

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#37]
PSA gotcha covered today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Raccoons used to climb up in the rafters of my grandmother's pole barn to sleep during the day.  I was able to shoot them in the head with a .22lr (standard velocity) without damaging the roof or walls.  Sometimes I would shoot them up to 3 times in the head before they fell off the rafters.  One shot would kill them, but 3 makes it happen faster.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'll add my two cents.  

If you're using cat food as bait in your trap expect to catch other critters. Around here sweet stuff catches the raccoons and everything else stays away.  The blood and musk smell is real, takes a lot of cleaning to make it go away.  

Ive had a few get in the house thru the cat door. A bright LED flashlight absolutely blinds them completely. A sharp little tap on the head with a little league baseball bat knocks them out pretty easy. Grab them by the tail and take it outside. Couple more sharp raps to the head finishes the job with zero blood.
View Quote

Have some enyzmatic cleaner on hand too.

When you whack them like that they can lose bowel control. It's messy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I get done with mine it will be pushing 900..

Airgun Hunting Raccoon ?? with JSAR Raptor in .22
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Noose stick.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Can cannon
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Their feces can contain millions of parasite eggs that can go airborne, which will end up nesting in your brain after you breathe them in. Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I was gonna suggest building a bonfire below the crawlspace access door, and smoking them out, but so many people have suggested smoke already.

Flame thrower.  No chance of holes in your roof, walls, or ceiling, and therefore it is perfectly safe.  Plus, it will remove cobwebs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Get a couple dukes dog proof raccoon traps and load them with mini Marshmallow. Come back later and dispose of them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a 22 short bolt action I bought specifically for this application.

I have also used a 22 air rifle with very good results  on raccoons before.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Duke dog proof trap and marshmallows.

I've tried Aguila Colibri. Would not recommend, but if you have to (i.e. indoors as you mentioned) I'd aim for the chest as the rounds won't penetrate the skull for shit. That said, through a gallery gun, they're Hollywood quiet.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Get yourself a suppressed .22lr pistol, a garrote, and a realistic racoon costume.  Hang out by the trash and when they come to feed give them something tasty.  Do this a few times to gain their trust.  Once they trust you, embed even deeper into the group by dating one of the daughters.  You don't have to bang her, explain that you want to save yourself for marriage.  Thanksgiving is coming up, so propose that week and plan a big celebratory trash can Thanksgiving dinner.  They will be fat and sleepy after dinner and excited about the upcoming nuptials and will have their guard down.  After dinner, offer to help the mom take the trash to the trash can.  Take the mom out at the trash can with the garrote while she is gathering food.  Call one of the sons out and tell him his mom passed out.  When he bends over to check on her, use the garrote again.  Here's where it gets tricky, carry the moms body back to the attic and say she had a heart attack.  While they swarm around her, use the suppressed .22lr pistol to take as many head shots as you can followed by gut shots.  Follow the blood trails and execute the wounded ones.  Problem solved, problem staying solved.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lol, it can get way stupider.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This whole thread couldn't be stupider.  Congrats.

Lol, it can get way stupider.
loose three hungry blue tick hounds in the attic and close the door, make sure they have go-pros on.

There, much dumbifer
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And when you dispose of the carcass and something eats it?
View Quote

Quoted:

Nothing like a rotting raccoon in the house.  

Trap them and dispatch outside.
View Quote

Quoted:

Farmer next door uses some gnarly shit, they barely make it 10' from the pan they drink it out of.
View Quote

I've cleaned racoon shit off roofs and valley's and I'd hate to have several 5 gallon buckets worth a month in my attic. You can retrieve it and burn it, it wouldn't make it far enough to destroy the echo system or rot away in a wall.

I retract my poison statement because I didn't know it was illegal but if it wasn't it would be a simple solution without contaminating the wildlife population.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top