Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd rather have an optic that makes picking up the red dot much easier for self defense vs having something that just has a smaller footprint.
View Quote
I believe that is the problem it is trying to solve...speed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh man... that would be sweet super-low mounted on the TP9.

Gotta find somebody that can do some plastic milling on the top cover.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't get how a larger window is gonna help, but I only have experience with an RMR sized window.  If you're missing the dot, it's because your eye is too far off from being directly behind the dot.  The dot is the same size, so how does a bigger frame around it help?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking about this on the drive in. I want a good red dot for one of my M&Ps ... love the size of the window on my Romeo1, and this might actually be slightly larger than that. Like the size of the R1 with the shroud, which isn’t bad at all.

My biggest beef with the RMR was the size of the window- it was too easy for me to lose the dot and have to slew around for it. With work on the drawstroke I can minimize that, but to be “on” I personally really need the larger window. Maybe it’s my monkey arms, I dunno. If these are durable and easy to keep the emitter clean, they’ll sell a ton of them, and possibly one to me if I can find someone to mill my loaded chamber indicator “feature” slide.

All I know is, this is a great time to have a red dot on a pistol.
I don't get how a larger window is gonna help, but I only have experience with an RMR sized window.  If you're missing the dot, it's because your eye is too far off from being directly behind the dot.  The dot is the same size, so how does a bigger frame around it help?
I covered that with an improved drawstroke.

The larger window helps. Because the optics are relatively parallax-free, so long as you can see the dot in the window and can put it on target, you’ll get a hit. Larger window = covers more of target = more hits.

The smaller RMR window means less real estate to see the dot. I’m sure I could have trained through it but with larger-window options hitting the market, I don’t have to.

And before anyone says it, I’m excellent with irons... I’m just trying to future proof myself for when my eyes aren’t as good.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Wonder if this will make RMR prices drop. What can dream.

Until then I’ll GBPSE
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
It helps during transitions, movement, reaquiring the dot under recoil/slide movement or basically anytime that you’re not shooting in ideal or near ideal conditions.

Ever wonder why competitive shooters are looking for the largest window possible? It’s because tenths of a second count and we’re not static in a square bay shooting slowly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
A larger visible reflective area means a larger angle of misalignment where the dot is still visible.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The larger window helps. Because the optics are relatively parallax-free, so long as you can see the dot in the window and can put it on target and get a hit. Larger window = covers more of target = more hits.

The smaller RMR window means less real estate to see the dot. I’m sure I could have trained through it but with larger-window options hitting the market, I don’t have to.

And before anyone says it, I’m excellent with irons... I’m just trying to future proof myself for when my eyes aren’t as good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking about this on the drive in. I want a good red dot for one of my M&Ps ... love the size of the window on my Romeo1, and this might actually be slightly larger than that. Like the size of the R1 with the shroud, which isn’t bad at all.

My biggest beef with the RMR was the size of the window- it was too easy for me to lose the dot and have to slew around for it. With work on the drawstroke I can minimize that, but to be “on” I personally really need the larger window. Maybe it’s my monkey arms, I dunno. If these are durable and easy to keep the emitter clean, they’ll sell a ton of them, and possibly one to me if I can find someone to mill my loaded chamber indicator “feature” slide.

All I know is, this is a great time to have a red dot on a pistol.

The larger window helps. Because the optics are relatively parallax-free, so long as you can see the dot in the window and can put it on target and get a hit. Larger window = covers more of target = more hits.

Yeah, I pulled mine out and looked.  A bigger window should help let you find it more, you can be further off alignment and see the dot.

GD confuses me - there was a thread not too far back about dot size on a handgun.  A lot of folks said a small 1 or 2 MOA is great with an RMR and they can find it just fine.  Now something with a bigger window comes out, and there's lots of oohs and ahs about finding the dot easier.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, I pulled mine out and looked.  A bigger window should help let you find it more, you can be further off alignment and see the dot.

GD confuses me - there was a thread not too far back about dot size on a handgun.  A lot of folks said a small 1 or 2 MOA is great with an RMR and they can find it just fine.  Now something with a bigger window comes out, and there's lots of oohs and ahs about finding the dot easier.  
View Quote
You're conflating 2 different things.

Size of the dot means little to nothing regarding loss due to misalignment.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
5-6 MOA is perfect for handguns.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It helps during transitions, movement, reaquiring the dot under recoil/slide movement or basically anytime that you’re not shooting in ideal or near ideal conditions.

Ever wonder why competitive shooters are looking for the largest window possible? It’s because tenths of a second count and we’re not static in a square bay shooting slowly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After looking at pics online, I see why I didn't think it's such a big deal.  I have a few Shield RMS sights.  Overall size the RMS is actually a little smaller, but it has a much bigger window.

I got mine when they just came out, found later reviews where they beat the sights to shit and the RMR is far more durable, but for CCW use it should be fine.  See worse sights like the Romeo doing duty use successfully.  I do also like how much lower they sit and you can change the battery without removing the optic.

Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're so far misaligned you lost the dot, of course then you have to find it & size of the dot is a factor as well.  
I have a 4 MOA and a 8 MOA Shield RMS.  Moving around and under recoil, it's faster to pick up the larger dot.  Something bigger = easier to see.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The larger window helps. Because the optics are relatively parallax-free, so long as you can see the dot in the window and can put it on target, you’ll get a hit. Larger window = covers more of target = more hits.

View Quote
Certainly an appeal with this new Trij. I plan on getting one for my G40 as soon as I can find one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried both a 4 MOA and 8 MOA on a Glock 19, and beyond a doubt the larger dot is easier to pick up.  And even the 8 MOA dot is good 'nuff for torso shots at 100 yards.  I ain't expecting more than that with a G19.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you're so far misaligned you lost the dot, of course then you have to find it & size of the dot is a factor as well.  
I have a 4 MOA and a 8 MOA Shield RMS.  Moving around and under recoil, it's faster to pick up the larger dot.  Something bigger = easier to see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, you're conflating 2 different things.

Not seeing the dot due to misalignment means it doesn't appear in the window regardless of it's size.

Not seeing the dot when it's appearing in the window because it's too small of a diameter, not bright enough, etc, is all together different.

The bigger sight window addresses, to some degree, the former, it's simple trigonometry.  The latter is individual preference that has no basis on window size.  I'm not saying anywhere that a larger dot isn't faster for the eye to acquire.  It has to be projected in your line of sight for that acquisition to occur.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you even operate bro'?

Who cares (really) what it looks like as long as it increases the chance of putting lead through a given target?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks gay
Do you even operate bro'?

Who cares (really) what it looks like as long as it increases the chance of putting lead through a given target?
It’s not how good you shoot, it’s how you look good shooting.  Everyone knows that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I know it's not all about looks but why does it have a damn overbite
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I tried both a 4 MOA and 8 MOA on a Glock 19, and beyond a doubt the larger dot is easier to pick up.  And even the 8 MOA dot is good 'nuff for torso shots at 100 yards.  I ain't expecting more than that with a G19.  
View Quote
The “old reliable” C-more has interchangeable dot modules.  87 zillion USPSA open shooters use them, and damn near all of them settle on the 6 MOA dot.  I tried a bunch and liked the 6MOA too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
They had to move the lens forward to get the battery compartment top loading while maintaining RMR mount compatibility.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not seeing the dot due to misalignment means it doesn't appear in the window regardless of it's size.

Not seeing the dot when it's appearing in the window because it's too small of a diameter, not bright enough, etc, is all together different.

The bigger sight window addresses, to some degree, the former, it's simple trigonometry.  The latter is individual preference that has no basis on window size.  I'm not saying anywhere that a larger dot isn't faster for the eye to acquire.  It has to be projected in your line of sight for that acquisition to occur.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We agree then - if you look you'll see I struck out my original post discovering for myself I was initially wrong.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice I will have to get one and try it on my CZ-P07 and maybe my Evo SBR that I have a RMR on now. Big window and top loading battery are huge improvements over the RMR. Hopefully the glass isn't as blue tinted which is one of my primary complaints with my RMRs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The “old reliable” C-more has interchangeable dot modules.  87 zillion USPSA open shooters use them, and damn near all of them settle on the 6 MOA dot.  I tried a bunch and liked the 6MOA too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t think there’s a “right” dot size. This is like globe and aperture sights in precision competitive shooting. The optimal size is dictated by the distance and size of the target.

Within the context of most contemporary competitive pistol shooting, yeah, 6ish is probably about right. Defensive shooting could probably be double or even triple that and be at or near optimal. Precision shots would be a fraction of it.

Lucky for us they gave us a small, medium, and large dot size with this optic so we all get our favorite. I fancy myself a better shooter than I really am, so I’ll probably get a smaller dot.

ETA: with a lot of this, brightness is as, or more important than, dot size. Given these adjust brightness, I’d just as soon get a smaller dot and set it brighter if desired. I can make a small dot more attention grabbing, I can’t make a big dot more precise (though I have had success dimming them to the point I shoot through them semi-transparent at the target).
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We agree then - if you look you'll see I struck out my original post discovering for myself I was initially wrong.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is the comment I was trying to sort out:

GD confuses me - there was a thread not too far back about dot size on a handgun. A lot of folks said a small 1 or 2 MOA is great with an RMR and they can find it just fine. Now something with a bigger window comes out, and there's lots of oohs and ahs about finding the dot easier.
I'm happy as can be with a 2 MOA dot (my astigmatism blows any dot up to about 2x actual size in my perception), but would prefer a larger window with less view obstructing structure around it.  I'm not trying to bust your balls I just think it's important when describing these characteristics to be specific as they're not immediately apparent to people maybe reading the thread deciding whether to try or buy having never used one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They had to move the lens forward to get the battery compartment top loading while maintaining RMR mount compatibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it looks like having the rear sight forward of the optic is a no go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was no 6 MOA option when I bought mine.  There was 4 & 8.

Eh, at 25 yards you're talking about a 2" dot vs a 1.5" dot.  With a G19 and my eyes I'm not worried about it.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Eh, at 25 yards you're talking about a 2" dot vs a 1.5" dot.  With a G19 and my eyes I'm not worried about it.  
View Quote
12 MOA is awesome on the shotgun too.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Meh. I’ll stick with my Rmr type 2’s.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm happy as can be with a 2 MOA dot (my astigmatism blows any dot up to about 2x actual size in my perception), but would prefer a larger window with less view obstructing structure around it.  I'm not trying to bust your balls I just think it's important when describing these characteristics to be specific as they're not immediately apparent to people maybe reading the thread deciding whether to try or buy having never used one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GD confuses me - there was a thread not too far back about dot size on a handgun. A lot of folks said a small 1 or 2 MOA is great with an RMR and they can find it just fine. Now something with a bigger window comes out, and there's lots of oohs and ahs about finding the dot easier.
I guess it's just GD being GD.  Some will argue against the obvious.  

If you have trouble picking up the dot on a RDS on a handgun, a bigger window and a bigger dot will help.  Selecting dot size is a compromise - smaller for more precision, larger to acquire faster.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An illuminated AUG donut of death would probably be perfect!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather have an optic that makes picking up the red dot much easier for self defense vs having something that just has a smaller footprint.
exactly
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Preordrerd the acro, now think I might cancel and goes this route, dang
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Appears that way.  Doesn't affect me personally.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Preordrerd the acro, now think I might cancel and goes this route, dang
View Quote
Don't think I would. That thing has an exposed emitter and that hood looks like a shit magnet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I never got the idea behind that anyway.  What’s the advantage?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I never got the idea behind that anyway.  What's the advantage?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'm still waiting on my slide to get back for my first rmr so I don't have any practical experience. But I figured having less obstructions behind the optic would be better for me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Email from ArmsUnlimited today shows the SRO in stock in 1moa, 2.5moa and 5moa. They also have the Glock MOS plate for it.

Price $495.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Don't think I would. That thing has an exposed emitter and that hood looks like a shit magnet.
View Quote
Lol open emitters killing operators for years
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
All the way down to a 1.0 dot...wow...
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On some handguns it's a requirement of how the striker/firing pin/blocks/etc are laid out in the slide.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is C-more g2g for HD use?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#42]
What makes this better than an RMR?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What makes this better than an RMR?
View Quote
Reading this thread for starters
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That window size is amazing. Like an updated C-more. Makes the ACRO with it's Terrible Tunnel look dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That window size is amazing. Like an updated C-more. Makes the ACRO with it's Terrible Tunnel look dumb.
Yup, I'm honestly quite excited for this mounted on SMG's, SBR's, offset, etc. Buuut...

Quoted:
Looks like it would make a nice little cup to hold water inside a holster. Needs drain holes right at the lens.
Quoted:
So, is the emitter still exposed?  It looks like still might be...
Quoted:
A day of carry with my current MRDS in my shop ends up with it full of dust. Cant imagine how much debris that will collect in a holster in a field.

Does this move the emitter in between two lenses? If not, this is a solution in search of a problem IMO.

ETA: nope....
This doesn't look like an upgrade over the RMR for most pistol use, IMO. I'll be waiting for Aaron's abuse of it to see the durability, but without the "wings" of the RMR hood I wouldn't expect it to have as much durability, since from what I've read and seen those help to re-direct forces around/away from the lens. Having to re-cut - or potentially replace holsters depending on design is a bit of an ouch. Some of my holsters have a cant to them, and based on their design I don't know that it could be cut much further down. Additionally, in some cases this design would appear to preclude having your BUIS in front of the optic.

I'm definitely interested to see where this goes, but for pistol/duty use I think I'm going to hold out to see if Ashbury Precision Ordnance is going to start cutting the HK45C for the Acro. If they don't, I'll just go with a Type 2 RM06.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Looks pretty slick to me.
View Quote
I agree
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#46]
It's hard to take someone seriously when they're holding an XD.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks great.  It is going on the list.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Same.  Idgaf what it looks like, just how it performs.  I liked my RMR but wasnt amazed by it and so I sold it a few months back.  Waiting on a sub $500 acro...

And knowing aimpoint I'll be waiting until hell freezes over but a man can dream lol
View Quote
Aimpoint shipped ACRO's out this week - Optics planet says they will have them in the warehouse on the 30th shipping out to Cx...

This seems an improvement over the RMR.  But the cup seems like it would fare worse in any emitter-obstructed situation than the RMR.  Definitely sticking with my Acro purchase - hopefully the most durable/reliable option available for my backup.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm curious to know if it was designed for the gamer crowd, the EDC crowd or everyone.

Guess I'll ask at their booth tomorrow.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top