BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 195
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By poison123:

Bull...Fucking....Shit.  No one is a bad as a Brit Lewis / Lando Fan....fucking no one.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By sledhead907:

Your post was probably in jest, but I figured it was probably for a constructors point. Although, AM isn't threatened and isn't catching Mercedes.
View Quote
That point wouldn't count. Only counts for the top 10 finishers.
The only reasons to stop and steal it at the last lap, in that case, was simply to rob the point from Max/RB (As if AM is actually challenging them for points, lol),
or just for bragging rights/historical stats.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Your post was probably in jest, but I figured it was probably for a constructors point. Although, AM isn’t threatened and isn’t catching Mercedes.
View Quote

AFAIK, the point isn’t awarded at all unless you finish in the top 10, so it doesn’t help AM in the least.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
The only reasons to stop and steal it at the last lap, in that case, was simply to rob the point from Max/RB (As if AM is actually challenging them for points, lol),
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Your post was probably in jest, but I figured it was probably for a constructors point. Although, AM isn't threatened and isn't catching Mercedes.

Interesting, I never considered it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fike:

The coverage mentioned Lando not being allowed any more track limit violations well before the ultimate fracas. What is the conspiracy?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chaas67:
Originally Posted By Roland-G23:

I'm not sure I get what you're asking me. I like both drivers, and find it hard to blame one more than the other.

Max isn't going to roll over every time someone tries to dive up the outside, nobody in F1 should or would, unless they're being shown the blue flag.

He certainly made zero steering wheel input when Lando was alongside him.

The collision was avoidable, and I tend to agree with Windsor in that the delay in applying the track limits penalty for 4 or 5 laps is the majority of the problem.

Tin foil hat time - does anyone think the delay in applying the track limit penalty was deliberate in order to create drama on the track. I’m not saying the FIA wanted a wreck but they wanted a nail biter of a finish.

The coverage mentioned Lando not being allowed any more track limit violations well before the ultimate fracas. What is the conspiracy?

I recall a banner popping up indicating that the stewards were reviewing a track limit penalty, after the black and white flag. I took this as a strong indication that he would receive the penalty and the stewards were simply dotting their I’s and crossing their T’s.

This was during the corner drive bombing attempts and said to my wife, if there is a 5 second penalty it’s over.

I may rewatch that part but I’ve got a match this weekend and the range is calling so not at the top of my list.  😬

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Bull...Fucking....Shit.  No one is a bad as a Brit Lewis / Lando Fan....fucking no one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

Those deranged Lewis and Lando fans are *almost* as fanatical as Max fans.   Having a difference of opinion - even if your opinion is based on direct observations of a replay - will often delegate you into "troll" or "retard" category.  

For all of the faults with the rabid lewis / Lando fans...  They're downright reasonable compared to His Holy Grace Verstappen enthusiasts.

100%
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warp_foo] [#7]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

So basically, he pitted just to prevent Max from getting a fastest lap point.  Classy!
View Quote
It's more than that.

The points are worth, potentially, millions of dollars when the season is over. Denying RBR any points makes more dollars available to the other teams. I've said it before, but I'll repeat it again: Formula 1 isn't about racing. It's a business.

Sure, winning is a nice perk, but all of the teams make money racing. This is why, when a back-marker gets a point, it's smiles all around. From the championship perspective, that point may be meaningless, but from a prize money disbursement perspective, it matters.

m

ETA: To clarify, finishing outside the top 10, fast lap doesn't get a point, but it denies points to the other teams. So, the points used to divide up the prize funds at the end of the season may slightly increase the payout to the back marker teams.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By warp_foo:
It's more than that.

The points are worth, potentially, millions of dollars when the season is over. Denying RBR any points makes more dollars available to the other teams. I've said it before, but I'll repeat it again: Formula 1 isn't about racing. It's a business.

Sure, winning is a nice perk, but all of the teams make money racing. This is why, when a back-marker gets a point, it's smiles all around. From the championship perspective, that point may be meaningless, but from a prize money disbursement perspective, it matters.

m

ETA: To clarify, finishing outside the top 10, fast lap doesn't get a point, but it denies points to the other teams. So, the points used to divide up the prize funds at the end of the season may slightly increase the payout to the back marker teams.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By willi3d:

So basically, he pitted just to prevent Max from getting a fastest lap point.  Classy!
It's more than that.

m

Prize money is awarded by position, not point totals.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

hmmm...
Distribution of the Prize Pot
The prize money is distributed based on a number of different factors, including a team's performance in the Constructors' Championship, the number of points scored by a team's drivers, and the number of pole positions and fastest laps achieved by a team.
Although, that quote is from a news article, I suppose it may not be 'official'.

m
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]
hmmm...
Although, that quote is from a news article, I suppose it may not be 'official'.

m
View All Quotes

hmmm...
Distribution of the Prize Pot
The prize money is distributed based on a number of different factors, including a team's performance in the Constructors' Championship, the number of points scored by a team's drivers, and the number of pole positions and fastest laps achieved by a team.

m

I have honestly never heard about any sort of system that provides more money on a per point basis. The Concorde Agreement isn’t a public document, but we do know how the prize fund distribution works. As it currently stands, Red Bull (355 pts) is set to get 14% and Sauber (0 pts) is set to get 6%. And that is a prize pool made up of 50% of F1’s revenue up to $2 billion, at which point the percentage starts to decrease.

The above doesn’t include heritage bonuses, etc.

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 7:18:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flyhack72] [#11]

I'm not sure I get what you're asking me. I like both drivers, and find it hard to blame one more than the other.

Max isn't going to roll over every time someone tries to dive up the outside, nobody in F1 should or would, unless they're being shown the blue flag.

The collision was avoidable, and I tend to agree with Windsor in that the delay in applying the track limits penalty for 4 or 5 laps is the majority of the problem.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

They whacked back tires. Max was outside the racing line.
Why?

I posted that same take immediately after the race.

Some here agreed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve worked out the defense to dive bombing, to lunging:

Become the bomber.

Move to the inside line, preventing the trailing car from dive bombing

Enter the corner as if YOU were doing the dive bombing.

The trailing car goes to the outside to go around but they are now the victim of the dive bomb.  Trailing car has to choose; go off track or impact the lead car. The lead car does to them exactly what they were trying to do to the leader.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:09:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartan16] [#13]
Originally Posted By danpass:

Become the bomber.

The trailing car goes to the outside to go around but they are now the victim of the dive bomb.  Trailing car has to choose; go off track or impact the lead car. The lead car does to them exactly what they were trying to do to the leader.
View Quote

Thing is, when the trailing car is .500" back you're really not expecting the dive. If you, the leading car, take a defensive line when it's not necessary you're going to cost yourself a ton of time and likely lose the position the following turn (thinking T3 to T4 at RBR for example). The trailing car would do the ol-switcharoo and get passed. Only way to defend that as the lead car is park it on the apex, but following car can just go around the outside at that point. Lead car can't defend in the inside and outside lanes at the same time.

Hindsight is always 20/20 so it's easy to say "had he just defended on the exact turn and lap where he got passed he'd still be winning" but you have to look at it holistically. Max can't possibly try and defend every turn for lap after lap when having a big gap and expect to stay in the lead.

That is why, IMO, he was doing some old Max stuff - multiple moves waiting for Lando to act so he [Max] could react; really bordering on moving under braking at times and even doing so for sure when they made contact; etc.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Spartan16:

Thing is, when the trailing car is .500" back you're really not expecting the dive. If you, the leading car, take a defensive line when it's not necessary you're going to cost yourself a ton of time and likely lose the position the following turn (thinking T3 to T4 at RBR for example). The trailing car would do the ol-switcharoo and get passed. Only way to defend that as the lead car is park it on the apex, but following car can just go around the outside at that point. Lead car can't defend in the inside and outside lanes at the same time.

Hindsight is always 20/20 so it's easy to say "had he just defended on the exact turn and lap where he got passed he'd still be winning" but you have to look at it holistically. Max can't possibly try and defend every turn for lap after lap when having a big gap and expect to stay in the lead.

That is why, IMO, he was doing some old Max stuff - multiple moves waiting for Lando to act so he [Max] could react; really bordering on moving under braking at times and even doing so for sure when they made contact; etc.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spartan16:

Become the bomber.

Later on I was thinking of Alonso defending against Perez for over 30 laps.

ALO would slow more than normal at the apex leaving PER with no drive out of the corner.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:59:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#15]

Become the bomber.

View Quote

Go try it in ACC. You get punted or passed in the next corner. Because of the positioning normally you’re punted out and the following car can continue racing. Open wheel cars can’t punt without major damage so the follower normally gets the next corner with ease unless it is a long straight after the corner.

Sim racing isn’t perfect but it helps you understand some events better.

VER moved outside the racing line after he saw NOR in his left mirror. Left no room on the tarmac and NOR didn’t budge. They were side by side, referencing that the both lost rear tires in the fray.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:
Danica got fired from Sky for the Reptillian podcast

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334296/Image-1_jpeg-3255913.JPG
View Quote

Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up but apparently this is fake news
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
Danica got fired from Sky for the Reptillian podcast

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334296/Image-1_jpeg-3255913.JPG

These things happen. Matter of time would be my guess.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#18]
It was hard racing, and its a welcome sight after all the RB dominance.

We all wanted a race, we had a race, now everyone is complaining about it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By stampkolektor:

View Quote
Easy with those broad brush strokes man! I'm not complaining. This season has already been
way more engaging than last season. I want unpredictable results!
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Best of all, It is almost certainly going to happen again this season.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Easy with those broad brush strokes man! I'm not complaining. This season has already been
View Quote

not you bro, lol

in general, everyone blaming max, i really didnt see it as bad as max vs ham.

there are some who say max didnt deserve a penalty.

but yes, an unpredictable season it has become. so i am all for it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#22]

an unpredictable season it has become. so i am all for it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes

Agree. Things were looking pretty bleak after Saudi, I thought the only drama would be seeing if RB could win every race or not.

It’s not like we have a championship fight but it’s nice to see several teams capable of winning on any given week.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#24]

but yes, an unpredictable season it has become.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Those of you with F1TV archive should watch Belgium 1995. A classic Schumacher race from midfield, wet/dry, but most of all a great example of  defending that still got a bit frisky at points.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#26]

any news on the Lando- Max bromance yet? they made up or what?
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#28]

https://media1.tenor.com/m/LJdkvSLb4n4AAAAC/iodadance.gif

View All Quotes

https://media1.tenor.com/m/LJdkvSLb4n4AAAAC/iodadance.gif

Lando got his revenge off the track by banging Kelly Pique…probably.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

View Quote

Max stole her and her kid from a former teammate. He such a great team player.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

She was just trading her way up: Torpedo —> Danny Ric —-> Max
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Become the bomber.

View Quote

That inside line, like T3, gives you less traction on the exit.

With DRS activated right after T3, you are placed in a very difficult position to defend.

I get what you are saying though.  It really depends on the turn's properties.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Because she's a piece of property and doesn't have any say in the matter...
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

With DRS activated right after T3, you are placed in a very difficult position to defend.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

Become the bomber.

His suggestion is how you don't defend T3, because it's sets you up for the 2nd car to cut back and under on the exit of T3 and get a better launch out of T3, and since the 2nd car is going to have DRS on the way to T4, you'll be a sitting duck.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Martin Brundle said of Senna from F3 days that he had this trick of putting a wheel on the inside line, and leaving it to you whether you had an accident or not. The trick being, if you ever let him do it, even once, you were finished, and Senna knew it. Mansell and Piquet also have some famous examples of this too, Mansell commenting that it took both of them a while to knock it off with one another as they kept colliding.

It's going to be similar now with Max and Lando. They both simply have to come to an understanding of how far they're willing to go, because they both just learnt one possible outcome. In a lot of ways people refusing to blame either have it right; Lando had to let Max know he wasn't going to just give up, and everybody on the grid knows that this is how Max behaves and it is how he has behaved from the beginning. He's a bully boy, and you deal with bully boys by letting them know in no uncertain terms that you're not going to be pushed around. If their personal relationship doesn't survive that, it was worth nothing in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Is all the talk of "dive bombing" at the Austria race just due to the driver or was it due to the short track/track layout?  

Curious as with the huge number of track limit issues last year maybe that track just sucks at having good passing areas?  Even in the post race interview Max made a comment about their incident could be partially due to that corner layout.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By captexas:
Is all the talk of "dive bombing" at the Austria race just due to the driver or was it due to the short track/track layout?  

Curious as with the huge number of track limit issues last year maybe that track just sucks at having good passing areas?  Even in the post race interview Max made a comment about their incident could be partially due to that corner layout.
View Quote

No, the track is pretty good for passing opportunities.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Esterhase:
Martin Brundle said of Senna from F3 days that he had this trick of putting a wheel on the inside line, and leaving it to you whether you had an accident or not. The trick being, if you ever let him do it, even once, you were finished, and Senna knew it. Mansell and Piquet also have some famous examples of this too, Mansell commenting that it took both of them a while to knock it off with one another as they kept colliding.

It's going to be similar now with Max and Lando. They both simply have to come to an understanding of how far they're willing to go, because they both just learnt one possible outcome. In a lot of ways people refusing to blame either have it right; Lando had to let Max know he wasn't going to just give up, and everybody on the grid knows that this is how Max behaves and it is how he has behaved from the beginning. He's a bully boy, and you deal with bully boys by letting them know in no uncertain terms that you're not going to be pushed around. If their personal relationship doesn't survive that, it was worth nothing in the first place.
View Quote

This is exactly it. The crash in Austria was set in motion lap 1 turn 1 in Spain. That time Lando backed down and paid the price by going first to third. I think he made up his mind long before the start of the Austrian GP he wasn’t going to do it again.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#38]
BRITISH GRAND PRIX SCHEDULE

FRI 06/05
FP1 7:30AM - ESPNU
FP2 11AM - ESPNU

SAT 06/06
FP3 6:30AM - ESPN2
QUALI 10AM - ESPN2

SUN 06/07
RACE 10AM - ESPN2

Max Verstappen's Pole Lap | 2023 British Grand Prix | Pirelli

1 Hour Of INTENSE Silverstone Moments!
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

The only thing Lando is banging is random dudes on a street corner....
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#40]

This is exactly it. The crash in Austria was set in motion lap 1 turn 1 in Spain. That time Lando backed down and paid the price by going first to third. I think he made up his mind long before the start of the Austrian GP he wasn’t going to do it again.
View Quote

If the guy you’re racing has a yield or we crash mentality, the only option is escalation.

It’s going to be a fun rest of the season.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 2:35:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#41]
View All Quotes

but yes, an unpredictable season it has become.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/478547/Yoda-Retina_2a7ecc26_jpeg-3256974.JPG

Hmmm yes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm excited for the GP this weekend
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By fredegar:
I'm excited for the GP this weekend
View Quote

Hell yeah. This triple header has been awesome. The two weeks between every race thus far has really sucked. They need to unfuck the schedule and have more back to back races.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Those of you with F1TV archive should watch Belgium 1995. A classic Schumacher race from midfield, wet/dry, but most of all a great example of  defending that still got a bit frisky at points.
View Quote
Schumi's wet weather driving is legendary.
Wet track, Hill on wet tires and Michael on slicks, and Hill still couldn't get past him.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#45]

The only thing Lando is banging is random dudes on a street corner....
View Quote

Danny Ric is probably right, Lando still doesnt have hair down there to bang women.

lol jk, he has been known to be a player w the ladies, i mean i would be too if i was an f1 driver...
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 6:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Weirding_Module] [#46]

View All Quotes

So...you're saying Lando should just drive right into the wall out of spite and wreck himself (because he's already driven the along-side Max into the grass)...yeah, that's one way to go.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 6:47:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Weirding_Module] [#47]
I think what is consistently missed or under discussed is that catching is not passing in F1. To pass without trouble, you have to be roughly a full second faster. Landon was never that much faster than Max at Spielberg. This he was going to have to force the issue or wait and hope for a Max mistake. He's done the wait for Max to make a mistake, doesn't seem to happen. So, he knew he was going to have to force the issue. Nothing wrong with that, but not a single "move" he made was a slam dunk...including the contact. Just the year before Sainz ran Max wider at 3 than he was forcing Lando. No contact as Max shifted farther left to avoid contact.

So, either Lando doesnt react as quickly as Max...or chose not to. /Shrug. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just tough racing and I loved it. Shitty outcome for Lando, but until he can be significantly faster than Max, or is at a track with even bigger DRS impact...it'll be more of the same.

It's funny to me all the pearl clutching (both ways) as this is a mirror of how Max had to go at Hamilton (who was in a predominantly faster car). RBR and Max had to get very creative and lucky (often) to get the results they did.

ETA: What is with my phone and Lando= Landon every freaking time...SoB
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I wonder what the topic for next week will be after this weekend

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By spyk3:
I wonder what the topic for next week will be after this weekend

View Quote

If Max wins it'll be about how he's overcome all the odds stacked against him
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#50]

I recall a banner popping up indicating that the stewards were reviewing a track limit penalty, after the black and white flag. I took this as a strong indication that he would receive the penalty and the stewards were simply dotting their I’s and crossing their T’s.

This was during the corner drive bombing attempts and said to my wife, if there is a 5 second penalty it’s over.

I may rewatch that part but I’ve got a match this weekend and the range is calling so not at the top of my list.  😬
View All Quotes

Tin foil hat time - does anyone think the delay in applying the track limit penalty was deliberate in order to create drama on the track. I’m not saying the FIA wanted a wreck but they wanted a nail biter of a finish.

I was aware Lando was getting a 5 sec penalty, I can't imagine any of the teams there did know it was going to happen.  The last one wasn't even close.
Page / 195
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top