Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

Is Dana a lizard person?

That is the most logical explanation.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

I posted the times up the page. In the 7 laps before the RB pit stop fuck up Lando lost time (not a lot) to Max. He was not 'catching up to him'. The RB pit stop fuckup is the ONLY reason Lando was near Max in the first place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rebel31:
Originally Posted By not_sure:
Originally Posted By Mblades:
Just caught up on the sprint and the race so I'm a little late to the party but here is my takeaways from the weekend.

1. I still really like the current sprint weekend format and look forward to them. Sprint qualifying and a sprint race are worlds more entertaining than FP2 and FP3. I'd like to see sprint weekends somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the calendar.

2. The black cloud that's followed LeClerc his whole F1 career seems to be back. Ferrari doing Ferrari things screwed him in the sprint and the 3 into 1 Perez and Piastri sandwich screwed him in the race. Qualifying was on him but that's to be expected with LeClerc, he goes 100% during qualifying and sometimes pushes a little too hard but he's also got 24 pole positions and hasn't had the best car on the grid for any of them, it's pretty impressive what he can do over one lap.

3. The Lando/Max was in motion since lap 1, turn 1 last week in Spain. Lando had a whole week to stew about bitching out and going from 1st to 3rd, I think he had made up his mind before the weekend started that next time he wouldn't back down. Combine that with Max's well known "either you blink or we have a big crash" method of defense and it was always going to happen if they found themselves on the same piece of track at the same time.

4. The crash overshadowed the fact RB is as dominant as ever. If it wasn't for the botched pit stop Max would have finished 10 seconds ahead of anyone in the field. He won the sprint race by almost 5 seconds and qualified 4/10ths ahead of everyone on the shortest lap of the year. We'll see what happens next week but I'm guessing the RB is going to be the fastest car out there again.

5. Checo fucking sucks. He'll probably be 7th in the drivers championship by the summer break and 8th at the end of the season. Just give the seat to Lawson for the rest of the season, he couldn't do worse.

I have to disagree on #1.  I think having FP2 and FP3 are needed for car development and dialing it in for the race.  I would be OK adding them to the format and keeping what is there though.  Say 1 and 2 before the sprint qualification and sprint race and 3 between that and the actual qualification / race.

Also I don't buy 4 because Lando was make up ground on Max and forced him to defend.  Yes, the pit stop helped but closing to DRS range was Lando.  I think Max drove the wheels off an inferior car.

And 5, for sure we are on the same page.

I posted the times up the page. In the 7 laps before the RB pit stop fuck up Lando lost time (not a lot) to Max. He was not 'catching up to him'. The RB pit stop fuckup is the ONLY reason Lando was near Max in the first place.

On the 3 stint Lando was clearly faster. The slow pit stop hurt Max, but Lando wasn't in DRS range.  The combination of fuel load, track conditions and newer tires made a big difference and he was clearly faster than Max during that stint.

You know how there are passes where the announcer proclaims that "driver that did the pass", wasn't going to be denied.  Well, Max denied Lando.   In any event, I am looking forward to Silverstone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fike:

Toto got the police involved a few weeks ago (Lewis fans).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By poison123:

Those deranged Lewis and Lando fans are *almost* as fanatical as Max fans.   Having a difference of opinion - even if your opinion is based on direct observations of a replay - will often delegate you into "troll" or "retard" category.  

For all of the faults with the rabid lewis / Lando fans...  They're downright reasonable compared to His Holy Grace Verstappen enthusiasts.

Bull...Fucking....Shit.  No one is a bad as a Brit Lewis / Lando Fan....fucking no one.

Toto called the police on Lewis fans???  But seriously, what are you talking about?  I have not seen anything along these lines.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]

I think honestly that's why everyone gives Max a WIDE birth.   Even Hams commented on it a few years ago (2020 IIRC) - every race start Max violently veers to the inside of the track; half the time he leaves room, half the time he doesn't.   No one ever makes a comment, but I guess that's because most drivers have to talk evasive action to avoid being punted off the track.

I'd love to see one driver just keep going straight (and punting Max right into the wall), but they'd be taken out as well and both get DNF's.   Max drives a game of brinkmanship:  it's awesome, right up until it isn't.  

This race, I think Max got what was coming to him.   Everyone loves his aggressive style, so IMHO it's only fitting Lando is there willing to dish it right back.   IMHO the only fault from today was Lando got the DNF and Max still got points - and Max wasn't forced to give back P1 after he "gained an advantage" going off track in T1 the second time... just Like Lando had to on the first time.   Track limits or not, Lando made fair and clean moves given the status of the current rules, and it was great racing.  

For track limits, I saw Verstappen past the white line twice in the lap coming up to that exchange, and nary a peep from the commentary.   So who knows.  

But I hope to see Lando keep doing what he did today.  Odds are, next time Max gives him room (because he knows), and Lando keeps the position.
View All Quotes

If you race hard, expect to be raced hard back.  People should know if you pull that shit with Max he's going to give it back to you tenfold.  Just like all the track limit violations for Lando.

I think honestly that's why everyone gives Max a WIDE birth.   Even Hams commented on it a few years ago (2020 IIRC) - every race start Max violently veers to the inside of the track; half the time he leaves room, half the time he doesn't.   No one ever makes a comment, but I guess that's because most drivers have to talk evasive action to avoid being punted off the track.

I'd love to see one driver just keep going straight (and punting Max right into the wall), but they'd be taken out as well and both get DNF's.   Max drives a game of brinkmanship:  it's awesome, right up until it isn't.  

This race, I think Max got what was coming to him.   Everyone loves his aggressive style, so IMHO it's only fitting Lando is there willing to dish it right back.   IMHO the only fault from today was Lando got the DNF and Max still got points - and Max wasn't forced to give back P1 after he "gained an advantage" going off track in T1 the second time... just Like Lando had to on the first time.   Track limits or not, Lando made fair and clean moves given the status of the current rules, and it was great racing.  

For track limits, I saw Verstappen past the white line twice in the lap coming up to that exchange, and nary a peep from the commentary.   So who knows.  

But I hope to see Lando keep doing what he did today.  Odds are, next time Max gives him room (because he knows), and Lando keeps the position.

Lewis and Max went thru this sort of thing, as did Lewis and Nico, Michael and everyone else...  I missed the Vettel years due to what was available on my local cable network at the time.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:39:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flyhack72] [#5]

Lewis and Max went thru this sort of thing, as did Lewis and Nico, Michael and everyone else...  I missed the Vettel years due to what was available on my local cable network at the time.  
View All Quotes

If you race hard, expect to be raced hard back.  People should know if you pull that shit with Max he's going to give it back to you tenfold.  Just like all the track limit violations for Lando.

It was a significant story a couple of weeks ago.

One of many articles
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Toto called the police on Lewis fans???  But seriously, what are you talking about?  I have not seen anything along these lines.
View All Quotes

Those deranged Lewis and Lando fans are *almost* as fanatical as Max fans.   Having a difference of opinion - even if your opinion is based on direct observations of a replay - will often delegate you into "troll" or "retard" category.  

For all of the faults with the rabid lewis / Lando fans...  They're downright reasonable compared to His Holy Grace Verstappen enthusiasts.

Bull...Fucking....Shit.  No one is a bad as a Brit Lewis / Lando Fan....fucking no one.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jun/21/toto-wolff-reports-anti-mercedes-email-to-police-and-says-abuse-must-stop
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 4:58:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rebel31] [#7]
Originally Posted By Weirding_Module:

So...you're saying Lando should just drive right into the wall out of spite and wreck himself (because he's already driven the along-side Max into the grass)...yeah, that's one way to go.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Weirding_Module:
Originally Posted By Esterhase:
Martin Brundle said of Senna from F3 days that he had this trick of putting a wheel on the inside line, and leaving it to you whether you had an accident or not. The trick being, if you ever let him do it, even once, you were finished, and Senna knew it. Mansell and Piquet also have some famous examples of this too, Mansell commenting that it took both of them a while to knock it off with one another as they kept colliding.

It's going to be similar now with Max and Lando. They both simply have to come to an understanding of how far they're willing to go, because they both just learnt one possible outcome. In a lot of ways people refusing to blame either have it right; Lando had to let Max know he wasn't going to just give up, and everybody on the grid knows that this is how Max behaves and it is how he has behaved from the beginning. He's a bully boy, and you deal with bully boys by letting them know in no uncertain terms that you're not going to be pushed around. If their personal relationship doesn't survive that, it was worth nothing in the first place.

This is exactly it. The crash in Austria was set in motion lap 1 turn 1 in Spain. That time Lando backed down and paid the price by going first to third. I think he made up his mind long before the start of the Austrian GP he wasn't going to do it again.

So...you're saying Lando should just drive right into the wall out of spite and wreck himself (because he's already driven the along-side Max into the grass)...yeah, that's one way to go.

That lap 1 start is the beginning of this video below. I don't think Lando should be complaining too much when he forced Max off the track and into the grass after a poor start. So much so he allowed Russell to take the the lead and ended up in 3rd after starting at pole.

Edit- you can also see when Max passed RUS that RUS turned left just before the corner which is the same thing Max did to Lando

Race Highlights | 2024 Spanish Grand Prix

Link Posted: 7/4/2024 5:02:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 7/4/2024 5:04:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyk3] [#9]
Attachment Attached File

ETA: Beat
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Arfcom bonus point for Bearman.

Link Posted: 7/4/2024 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2024 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice, now if Sainz could get off the dime and sign with someone.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Watched him back in F4 when he did the dual title (Italy and Germany!). Glad he's got a full time seat. Now crack on with F2, Ollie!
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
Is KMag staying with Haas? Is that a done deal?
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
View All Quotes

It's looking like KMag will be racing in a different series next year.

2nd drivers for Haas is sounding like Ocon, but could be Bottas or Zhou.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 9:09:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HRJ] [#16]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:

View Quote

Is Hulk a getting better ride? Why wouldn’t he be retained by Haas? I understand why they’d boot Kmag
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HRJ:

Is Hulk a getting better ride? Why wouldn’t he be retained by Haas? I understand why they’d boot Kmag
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HRJ:

Hulk is going to Sauber/Audi as the token German.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mars87:

If the guy you’re racing has a yield or we crash mentality, the only option is escalation.

It’s going to be a fun rest of the season.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mars87:

This is exactly it. The crash in Austria was set in motion lap 1 turn 1 in Spain. That time Lando backed down and paid the price by going first to third. I think he made up his mind long before the start of the Austrian GP he wasn’t going to do it again.

If the guy you’re racing has a yield or we crash mentality, the only option is escalation.

It’s going to be a fun rest of the season.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

And likely a better ride.

Audi can put together a fast under steering F1 car, no doubt.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Ah OK that makes sense
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Factory team but unless they pull off a miracle of miracles, it’s going to be a struggle bus for a few years.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I was 87 before it became popular

(my first official race number)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Financially Zhou makes sense, but Ocon or Bettas would be a way better choice in terms of experience.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
He was doing quite well with Cadillac in IMSA before he got the call to return and replace the Russian kid.
I know it's not as glamorous as F1, but I'd like to see him in the IMSA Paddock again.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 10:53:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalNovice] [#25]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRoNPdaaUAAFPg4.jpg

View Quote

Breaking: Ollie Bearman graduates 6th grade.

Eta Wiki says he is 19.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#26]
He was doing quite well with Cadillac in IMSA before he got the call to return and replace the Russian kid.
I know it's not as glamorous as F1, but I'd like to see him in the IMSA Paddock again.
View Quote

He fitted in really well in IMSA. I agree it'd be great to have him back.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Financially Zhou makes sense, but Ocon or Bettas would be a way better choice in terms of experience.
View All Quotes

On the subject of money, this is going to be Haas’ first real foray into developing the next big Ferrari driver. That comes with some pretty significant financial incentives. David Bearman’s Aventum Group will probably also be dropping some money as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#28]

On the subject of money, this is going to be Haas’ first real foray into developing the next big Ferrari driver. That comes with some pretty significant financial incentives. David Bearman’s Aventum Group will probably also be dropping some money as well.
View Quote

That's a great point about Ferrari's funding. I did not think of that. Also as you say daddy Bearman's deep pockets can't hurt. I'm hoping Haas go from strength to strength under Komatsu; it appears he has found a way that works for them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 6:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#29]

That's a great point about Ferrari's funding. I did not think of that. Also as you say daddy Bearman's deep pockets can't hurt. I'm hoping Haas go from strength to strength under Komatsu; it appears he has found a way that works for them.
View All Quotes

Speaking of Haas, they have pretty significant upgrades coming this weekend. I wouldn’t expect magic out of the box, but it will be an interesting one to watch given their history with very few mid to late season upgrades.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 7:42:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCV_117] [#30]
Bro needs to make up his mind already.

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 12:28:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCV_117] [#31]
Checo in the hot seat again.

Honestly, Yuki should replace him not Ric.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

While i believe Checo is in danger, i struggle to understand why Daniel would be a better choice.

Hell grab Lawson for that matter.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

While i believe Checo is in danger, i struggle to understand why Daniel would be a better choice.

View All Quotes

I think Lawson has more potential upside than Yuki or RIC but any one of the three is miles better than Checo.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#35]
McLaren looking strong so far this weekend.
Of course, we all know Max will show up in Q3 and drop a lap that makes you go, "WTF did that come from?"

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#36]
McLaren looking strong so far this weekend.
Of course, we all know Max will show up in Q3 and drop a lap that makes you go, "WTF did that come from?"

View Quote

Hulk turning some fast laps also.

I suspect Haas will do well here.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#37]
The Zak Brown whine-a-thon continues.  That was so last week.  What’s done is done, time to move on.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

He is also 35
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#39]

I think Lawson has more potential upside than Yuki or RIC but any one of the three is miles better than Checo.
View All Quotes

I'd love to see Lawson in there but I doubt that would happen. We never see young bloods in front running cars.

I'm very excited to see Kimi Antonelli in that Mercedes next year (assuming the rumors are true)
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By willi3d:
The Zak Brown whine-a-thon continues.  That was so last week.  What’s done is done, time to move on.
View Quote

Is that fat cunt still bitching?
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Yes.
I fast-forwarded through his whine.
It's over, just move on.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Kinda like some people in this thread  
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By spyk3:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spyk3:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I’ve liked Zac up to this point but the continued whining isn’t a good look.

As a leader it’s your job to be the calm and keep your people focused not help stir the pot.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
100% agreed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Agree with you there. RB can no longer afford the mid season drop offs. At this point where Checo is in the standings it is worth a switch to see what one of the others can do.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Just finished watching FP1, what was that, 3 times Stroll impeded people on hot laps?
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By thormx538:
Just finished watching FP1, what was that, 3 times Stroll impeded people on hot laps?
View Quote

Licking windows…
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 195
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top