Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1956 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

Unfortunately an awful lot of people have been very,very influenced by the Internet. My SO of 12 years and I are taking a break from each other now that may very well become permanent due to how much Jordan Peterson and Gad Saad and their social media circle has shaped her world view from being conservative to having moments of sheer crazy talk. It’s a horrible thing to essentially lose someone to the internet but I can not accept “you have to at least be skeptical,Ukraine is corrupt and has faked many things” when discussing mass murder. We are a tiny nation on Russia’s border,I don’t want to hear about “they have their security concerns too”. No.

This isn’t someone who had zero knowledge of history and geography,it’s a bright woman who latched on to the exact same talking points without thinking about them critically. It made me realize what caused this shift in her from being fairly conservative to complaining about Muslim immigration - there are next to none here - or homsexuals and such when I honestly don’t see them remotely being an issue in our society.

My overall take is that if she can be manipulated about these things then it would be very,very easy to convince her about our country and myself. I see too many ways for this war to go sideways and involve us but more to the point when she told me that the aid I’ve personally sent to UA is just prolonging the fighting and that they need to make concessions for peace it was just too much,this isn’t something she would have said a few months ago and quite frankly I’m terrified of the day she starts to go on about Globohomo and white replacement. It’s just too upsetting that I feel I lost someone to a virtual cult and here is the thing: I can say my piece but I get told I’m  wrong because a bunch of virtual opinions say so,it’s too insulting and ridiculous.

It makes it very easy to see how someone with little real world experience to temper things can take a bunch of shit far too literally. This is legitimately scary to me because if she can have her world view fucked by this then it it’s no wonder someone young with no real world experience can easily adopt the worst aspects of the far right rhetoric and act upon them.

View Quote

Send her a MAGA hat as a parting gift.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Interesting that the drone was having a bit of a problem not zooming skyward. "EKF Primary Changed Z". Guess when you drop 3 out of 4 crazy heavy things in quick succession, it takes a little while for the control system to get back to an even keel. With the way the turrets have been launching themselves, I was a little surprised the last thing that drone saw wasn't a gun barrel headed straight for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

Holly Cow! The 4th one hit the sweet spot. Driver should have bailed with his mates.

Interesting that the drone was having a bit of a problem not zooming skyward. "EKF Primary Changed Z". Guess when you drop 3 out of 4 crazy heavy things in quick succession, it takes a little while for the control system to get back to an even keel. With the way the turrets have been launching themselves, I was a little surprised the last thing that drone saw wasn't a gun barrel headed straight for it.

Russia has developed new anti-drone weapon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

View All Quotes

Holly Cow! The 4th one hit the sweet spot. Driver should have bailed with his mates.

All they need to do is detonate a tank beneath every drone Ukraine has and the war is won. Its so easy a cave man could do it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Pics of docs in the quoted Tweet.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:35:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

All they need to do is detonate a tank beneath every drone Ukraine has and the war is won. Its so easy a cave man could do it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:

Still working on the cost/benefit analysis.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Krater:

Russian TG channels.

"I want to tell about my grief so that people know the truth. My husband, a simple worker. Sent on March 14 to the distributor of the military unit 08805 in Makeevka. On March 27 he was sent to Mariupol. On March 28, he wrote an SMS early in the morning, saying that he is the 3rd line of defense. Since then, silence ... For a whole month I was looking for my husband, hoping that he was alive, that there was simply no connection. Military unit 08805 lied to me on the phone. Yes, and when they arrived they were not allowed into the unit. They did not report where he serves. At the end of April, they said that he was not here, that he was in the direction of Kherson. And when I myself found my husband in the morgue of Mariupol, I informed the unit that he had died. But he was not listed as dead on their lists and wounded. The unit of me asked - WHERE HE SERVED???? Me, who was looking for him and tried to find out in the unit. According to the stories of colleagues, it was not possible to pick him up from the place of death, since there were battles. How long did my husband lie there - unknown. Part does not keep records of the dead, wounded and missing. Do not tell the truth to relatives, so that there are no panic. Our family itself was looking for its own, calling the morgues of Mariupol, Mangush. Found it at the end of April. April 21 was the act of opening it. But no one considered it necessary to inform his relatives that he was lying there. As the workers of the morgue said - THIS IS NOT IN THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES. Our relatives lie in sacks under fences in Kalinin, Makiivka, and so on. for 1-2 months and NOBODY tells them about it. Poor mothers, wives, children must examine all the corpses that are in the morgues and look for their relatives themselves. Why do we women of Donbass have to endure this!? For 8 years they killed us, worked for a penny like slaves, and now they have destroyed our men!!! There is a purposeful destruction of the male population of Donbass. I was found by his guys, who respected my husband, became friends, but they were lucky - they remained alive. They reported that on March 27, half an hour after their arrival in Mariupol, they immediately entered the battle. Our husbands, sons, without military experience, without protective equipment, were simply thrown into battle right away !!! What is the 3rd line of defense???? On March 31, my husband died and many men were with him too. Men are gradually being taken out of there. They throw our inexperienced, unprotected husbands straight into battle. They call them "mushrooms". They only have helmets. And they are mowed down like mushrooms. With the help of our inexperienced guys, enemy firing points are revealed. Now, in addition to hatred for Ukraine, hatred for the DPR and Russia has been added for using our relatives as targets. How many volunteers are there who want to fight!!! Why was it necessary to mobilize ordinary hard workers and purposefully and thoughtlessly send them to death?!!!"

These are all, not isolated cases, a lot of people write, unfortunately I can't publish all the stories.
View Quote

The losses of males in DPR/LPR have been staggering. I wonder if this is part of a Russian repopulation strategy once the war is over and they think they win: Move in a ton of breeding-age males to make more Russian kids in these regions. Probably gonna do that with the Buryats too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:21:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TAP] [#8]
A fixed target is going to need some major upgrades to survive a drone-heavy environment. I suspect that will redefine some ADA technologies with tricks like distributed grids of millimeter wave radars or other new spatial sensor technologies to keep the small, stealthy drones away from sensitive areas.

Aircraft revetments may need to be upgraded, fully-enclosed and/or also equipped with APS to be more survivable.

There's still nothing you can do about very long-ranged GPS guided attack vectors, like mine-dispensing ALCMs sent along the runways, or long-ranged GPS artillery rounds, except to have counterbattery radar to warn you about incoming, and either protect or disperse assets.
View Quote

Not attacking the OP or the response, but that discussion raises some good points.  The threat, and thus the protection against it, is quite different for a stable, long-term location like an airbase.

To put that in a real-world-elsewhere perspective, how many successful quadcopter attacks (of the nature seen in a loads of videos here) have been made on our bases in Iraq and Syria in recent years?  The number is zero, because of our systems designed to protect against such threats.  

Contrast that with how many successful attacks on those same bases from Type III or larger drones (generally fixed wing one-way suicide attacks, more like small cruise missiles or V1 rockets)- and the number is not zero.  It comes down to issues like speed, detection, defense layers, airframe survivability, electronics, etc- none of which I'll get into here.  

The small-payload quads are great against an undefended location, such as forward troops who simply cannot be defended everywhere all the time by the necessary systems due to resource constraints. But if you think a single grenade dropping quad is going to get over and take out targets on a US base or airfield, you're learning the wrong lessons from this conflict.  A weapon needs to be matched against its target, and quads are currently not a universal answer as some seem to suspect.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

View All Quotes

Unfortunately an awful lot of people have been very,very influenced by the Internet. My SO of 12 years and I are taking a break from each other now that may very well become permanent due to how much Jordan Peterson and Gad Saad and their social media circle has shaped her world view from being conservative to having moments of sheer crazy talk. It’s a horrible thing to essentially lose someone to the internet but I can not accept “you have to at least be skeptical,Ukraine is corrupt and has faked many things” when discussing mass murder. We are a tiny nation on Russia’s border,I don’t want to hear about “they have their security concerns too”. No.

This isn’t someone who had zero knowledge of history and geography,it’s a bright woman who latched on to the exact same talking points without thinking about them critically. It made me realize what caused this shift in her from being fairly conservative to complaining about Muslim immigration - there are next to none here - or homsexuals and such when I honestly don’t see them remotely being an issue in our society.

My overall take is that if she can be manipulated about these things then it would be very,very easy to convince her about our country and myself. I see too many ways for this war to go sideways and involve us but more to the point when she told me that the aid I’ve personally sent to UA is just prolonging the fighting and that they need to make concessions for peace it was just too much,this isn’t something she would have said a few months ago and quite frankly I’m terrified of the day she starts to go on about Globohomo and white replacement. It’s just too upsetting that I feel I lost someone to a virtual cult and here is the thing: I can say my piece but I get told I’m  wrong because a bunch of virtual opinions say so,it’s too insulting and ridiculous.

It makes it very easy to see how someone with little real world experience to temper things can take a bunch of shit far too literally. This is legitimately scary to me because if she can have her world view fucked by this then it it’s no wonder someone young with no real world experience can easily adopt the worst aspects of the far right rhetoric and act upon them.

While that would be funny,I am genuinely heartbroken at it taking this to realize just how much influence virtual interactions have had. It’s one thing to be here on Arf and see people take Russian talking points at face value because they feel they need to pick a side and it’s essentially meaningless to them anyway. At the breakfast table 194 km from the Russian border it is another thing to hear that Russia has legitimate concerns. If Russia crossed the border as Putin’s dying gasp I have to fight,she knows this cognitively and can’t understand the parallels between UA and here as to how easy it would be to press the same narrative.

I feel like an idiot for not doing more to at least temper this but just saw her watching Candace Owens videos as entertainment. I was never prepared for her to use them against my sending aid to Ukraine,I didn’t think that portion of the right would take this stance. It is such an awful thing for me to internalize but I understand why some guys on here immediately run to “false flag coverup” when there is a shooting but have long naively thought “these are just a small portion of the farthest right,it’s emotional…”   but I haven’t had this disconnect with reality with someone in real life,let alone who is closest to me.  I feel like a goddamn fool because I simply didn’t get that this is what she’s been filling her head with while I’ve been busting my ass to source IFAKs,helmets that have quadrupled in price…and the worst is that she is choosing the American far right over me and what I would have said months ago is our people. As a nation we are heavily supporting UA and the Internet/American right has turned her against our society. I would have preferred her finding another man as this is insanity to me. This sounds incredibly ridiculous and sensationalist but this nonsense has conditioned her for collaboration and it’s simply unacceptable when she knows our history,she is 100% aware that a traitor turned in my great uncles to be executed. Emotionally this is a disaster and one that is difficult to rationalize.

I had no idea what  would happen in my home is that  the tweets of Candace Owens would be more important than the man she spent 12 years with. She has is smart enough to have read Friedman and Sowell but unfortunately has fallen for this.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

It's been said by others but, the 4channing of ARFCOM.

Guess we've gotten a sneak peek of what that entails with Buffalo.

Damn, that's really shitty, especially on the heels of your loss of your mom. I genuinely hope things start looking up for you soon.

I really do wonder how this mass lack of critical thinking has taken hold. Critical thinking and common sense have always been in somewhat short supply but it really seems to have been slowly turned up to 11 in the last decade, bordering on some sort of mass psychosis. Psychology isn't my thing but this unraveling of our collective social fabric is quite scary, watching otherwise normal people around you go over the cliff so to speak. Thankfully I keep my real life social circle small and they've all been immune to it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sq40:
https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/news/2022/05/16/7139472/

The United States believes that Ukraine can "bypass" the MAP on the way to NATO, as Finland and Sweden

According to US Chargé d'Affaires Christina Quinn, Ukraine has a chance to become a member of NATO without a member of the Membership Action Plan, such as Finland and Sweden, because it is not a mandatory part of the accession process.
She said this in an interview with European Truth .
"As for the possibility of Finland's accession without a MAP, the Membership Action Plan has never been a legal requirement for NATO membership, so Ukraine can also join the Alliance without a MAP. However, I would not call it a shortened procedure," she said. .
She noted that the MAP is a mechanism that allows a Member State to meet compatibility requirements, and if a State already meets all the requirements, the Membership Action Plan becomes unnecessary.
"Therefore, neither Ukraine nor any other country should receive a Membership Action Plan and implement it if you generally meet most of the requirements," said Christina Quinn.
It should be noted that the decision of the NATO Summit in Brussels in June 2021 confirmed the decision of the Bucharest Summit in 2008 that Ukraine will become a member of the Alliance in the future through the Membership Action Plan.
View Quote

Wishful thinking. Ya not getting in while there is active conflict.

Also, Zelensky already thumbed his nose at nato once before.

I have concerns that Ukr will be just like turkey in 10 years and stab everyone in the back as some goofball takes over.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
claymore or some other direction mine?

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:49:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#13]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
claymore or some other direction mine?

View Quote

Damn. Sawed them in half.

That was a shaped IED I believe. Too big for a claymore I think.

Replies say they are DNR - Russian Militia.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#14]
1956 remembers

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:52:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oswald01] [#15]

View All Quotes

It may be that Russia's Special Military Operation in the Ukraine has shocked your SO to the point of considering the distinct possibility of a near term military operation entailing Estonia as part of a broader conflict with Russia. Not sure who said it, but nothing focuses ones thoughts quite so much as the imminent prospect of death.

Last Dec/Jan Putin put forward diplomatic proposals which he saw were needed to lead to written guarantees addressing Russia's security concerns vis a vis NATO. A large part of these proposals was the withdrawal of NATO to its 1997 boundaries. I imagine Putin saw the NATO Founding Act 1997 as a loose basis for this proposal. This of course was rejected out of hand by NATO.

Be that as it may, one might observe the Ukraine SMO as concrete proof that Putin was serious in not only stopping further NATO enlargement (Ukraine) which he saw as a red line existential threat, but may well remain committed to his stated goal of rolling back NATO to its 1997 borders.

As you may be aware, Estonia joined NATO after 1997 and are thus in Putin's eyes targeted as part of the NATO roll back. At this point NATO is committed to fighting Russia to the last Ukrainian. To do the same in the future regarding Estonia is no great leap.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#16]

While that would be funny,I am genuinely heartbroken at it taking this to realize just how much influence virtual interactions have had. It’s one thing to be here on Arf and see people take Russian talking points at face value because they feel they need to pick a side and it’s essentially meaningless to them anyway. At the breakfast table 194 km from the Russian border it is another thing to hear that Russia has legitimate concerns. If Russia crossed the border as Putin’s dying gasp I have to fight,she knows this cognitively and can’t understand the parallels between UA and here as to how easy it would be to press the same narrative.

I feel like an idiot for not doing more to at least temper this but just saw her watching Candace Owens videos as entertainment. I was never prepared for her to use them against my sending aid to Ukraine,I didn’t think that portion of the right would take this stance. It is such an awful thing for me to internalize but I understand why some guys on here immediately run to “false flag coverup” when there is a shooting but have long naively thought “these are just a small portion of the farthest right,it’s emotional…”   but I haven’t had this disconnect with reality with someone in real life,let alone who is closest to me.  I feel like a goddamn fool because I simply didn’t get that this is what she’s been filling her head with while I’ve been busting my ass to source IFAKs,helmets that have quadrupled in price…and the worst is that she is choosing the American far right over me and what I would have said months ago is our people. As a nation we are heavily supporting UA and the Internet/American right has turned her against our society. I would have preferred her finding another man as this is insanity to me. This sounds incredibly ridiculous and sensationalist but this nonsense has conditioned her for collaboration and it’s simply unacceptable when she knows our history,she is 100% aware that a traitor turned in my great uncles to be executed. Emotionally this is a disaster and one that is difficult to rationalize.

I had no idea what  would happen in my home is that  the tweets of Candace Owens would be more important than the man she spent 12 years with. She has is smart enough to have read Friedman and Sowell but unfortunately has fallen for this.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/ABEC56BD-C350-4E04-B7AC-DB58205A1B24_jpe-2385733.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/F4488631-3DFB-4FD7-BF7E-95EC011C868A_jpe-2385734.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/ABEC56BD-C350-4E04-B7AC-DB58205A1B24_jpe-2385733.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/F4488631-3DFB-4FD7-BF7E-95EC011C868A_jpe-2385734.JPG

To be fair, I don't think many people fully understand this War (myself included) and are left to main stream sources to formulate some kind of opinion. Hanging ones hat on one or two peoples opinions has always turned out to be a downfall to those who do not look further for more complete information. Psyops are being played on both the left and right sides, one needs to be vigilant as to what is true, and what is utter bullshit.

Sorry you are losing her.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:05:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: norseman1] [#17]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

The biggest eyeopener was seeing Arfcommers blinded by their hate for Biden complaining about handing out free guns and reposting pro Russia social media vids. That would have had to be some pre placed long time Russian IW strat within conservative circles.

View Quote

Huh? Rather broad brush you paint with.

There are a few turds in every online forum these days.

I might have missed the posts about folks COMPLAINING about handing out guns to civilians. If anything, there was a shitload of cheering early in this thread.

Your other points about peoples views is not ignored. There is a difference between identifying historical factors that lead to a conflict and "moral equivalence".

Putin is Hitler. His excuse for going into UKRAINE is every bit a silly as Adolf going into Poland.

What you see alot of folks asking really hard questions now is this:

What the fuck does "winning" look like? I guess I am kinda old fashioned to ask such silly questions. The middle east has tempered my gung-ho attitude. (Shrub/NeverTrumpers kinda make me giggle when ever there is a call for war)

Biden's support of UKR may very well be financially motivated and not humanitarian. Nobody can say for sure, but, there are still a ton of crackpipes his son has left behind in those countries.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

Look at GD, someone makes a comment and the responses are a various combinations of buzzwords and whataboutisms. She knows her base and works it well.

If she spent as much time writing bills that have a prayer of a chance to get heard as she does making videos, being a meme or going on right-wing media she'd get something done. For now she's focused on fundraising and soundbites
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

My takeaway was that this "small government Conservative" thinks the FedGov should be spending billions on producing formula because the private sector isn't meeting demand. Sounds like your typical Big R Republican to me...

If she cared so much about the formula shortage, she'd be sponsoring a bill to fast track the FDA reopening the plant it shuttered instead of crying about Ukraine.

Look at GD, someone makes a comment and the responses are a various combinations of buzzwords and whataboutisms. She knows her base and works it well.

If she spent as much time writing bills that have a prayer of a chance to get heard as she does making videos, being a meme or going on right-wing media she'd get something done. For now she's focused on fundraising and soundbites

Sadly, when Trump got rid of the Cruise Ship grifters, he only cleared the decks for the B Team grifters….MTG being their Queen…. to rise and Ply thier trade.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

Sadly, when Trump got rid of the Cruise Ship grifters, he only cleared the decks for the B Team grifters….MTG being their Queen…. to rise and Ply thier trade.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:12:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#20]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Where do they attach stuff.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Now I see, thanks!

https://i.insider.com/624ed08e1096d50018d1e011?width=1000&format=jpeg&auto=webp
Where do they attach stuff.

Apparently as centered as you can to the hub.

Check out the tested warheads though:

However, after seeing these, it seems the 4 devices dropped by the drone we saw yesterday were larger than what is being shown for this model.   They are claiming a 10lb carry weight for the R-18, so we might have seen a drone that's larger with a hefty bomb load.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Pulled that speech straight from GD, or vice versus. Hard to tell.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Stupid speech. She ties a bunch of unrelated stuff togethers to make them seem related. She should pull her head out of her ass and take a look at what she is saying. Talking as if Ukraine and baby formula are one and the same is false.
Pulled that speech straight from GD, or vice versus. Hard to tell.
listening to her talking about Ukraine and Russia makes me sick. She's a fucking moron.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:18:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 715700] [#22]

Damn, that's really shitty, especially on the heels of your loss of your mom. I genuinely hope things start looking up for you soon.

I really do wonder how this mass lack of critical thinking has taken hold. Critical thinking and common sense have always been in somewhat short supply but it really seems to have been slowly turned up to 11 in the last decade, bordering on some sort of mass psychosis. Psychology isn't my thing but this unraveling of our collective social fabric is quite scary, watching otherwise normal people around you go over the cliff so to speak. Thankfully I keep my real life social circle small and they've all been immune to it.
View Quote

Thank you,this on top of my mom dying is quite a lot on the old heart.

She isn’t an idiot,she’s a smart woman and yet this has worked on her. Stupid,stupid me could understand how the Russians wanted to buy influence at the NRA,groom some to appear on Russia Today and make them Russophile and then send them back to US media,how they fuck with us here and push fragmentary movements everywhere. I just feel like a damn fool to not have seen what was happening under my nose,I was unaware that the influence was so strong and that she was internalizing these ideas so deeply. I simply did not think people who were ostensibly pro-freedom would so quickly side with Russia,I certainly didn’t think it was going to happen to her. This is like some kind of supernatural punishment but better it happen now than later.

The crazy thing is she detests,absolutely can not stand,Russian men. She’s gonna have to go find one or maybe a MAGA hat wearer 🤷🏼‍♂️

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Capta:

The discussion was on central European countries which are not nuclear powers forming an alliance.
Even France and the UK only have nuclear forces sufficient to deter an attack on themselves.  If Russia could be assured of the US sitting it out, I believe they would take the bloody nose to wipe the UK and France out and conquer Europe.
MAD is a thing, and if an aggressive (but sane) actor calculates that they can benefit from an exchange then nukes are not a deterrent.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Circuits:

Well, and the UK and France, too, to a lesser extent.

The discussion was on central European countries which are not nuclear powers forming an alliance.
Even France and the UK only have nuclear forces sufficient to deter an attack on themselves.  If Russia could be assured of the US sitting it out, I believe they would take the bloody nose to wipe the UK and France out and conquer Europe.
MAD is a thing, and if an aggressive (but sane) actor calculates that they can benefit from an exchange then nukes are not a deterrent.

If Moscow and St Petersburg are yeeted I’d have to wonder if Russia could keep going in its current form. All thier best and brightest, not to mention the decision makers, would be gone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:24:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Croak] [#24]

View Quote

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a coping mechanism.  Might be more comforting/less scary to believe that Russia is being played in this conflict, or that Putin really just wants to thin out the Nazi herd, than it is to believe Russia is just being Russian.  Especially when you're bordering them.  Normalcy bias with a booster shot of talking heads.  

The Carlson/Owens/et al talking points about Ukraine are easily digestible if you were coming into this mostly uninformed, or just plain don't want to accept reality.  

Especially if over the course of the last few years you learned to trust and respect folks like Owens because they fought the woke orthodoxy.  And anything the orthodoxy likes must always be wrong, right?  We've been taught by these righteous fighters for the truth to never support The Current Thing, to do so is to be a lemming and tool.

"They were correct before, they must be correct now.  They're on my side!"  

No darlin', they aren't.  They're on their side, and the trick is figuring out what that means.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#25]
yeah he might be full of shit
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CletusRoundbelly:

C'mom, man. Biden said Putin is responsible for all of our woes.

yeah he might be full of shit

Biden just admitting who controls him.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Wow.  Man I’m so to hear that.  I hope she can get her head straight.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

A real military tarp would have thermal blocking; those are already on the market these days.

I suspect future wise, we'd see an anti drone tarp combining thermal blocking with a core of 1-2 layers kevlar to prevent gravity dropped munitions/drones from tearing through the tarp.
View Quote

The new woobie!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:37:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#28]
https://t.me/new_militarycolumnist/83015
⚡️Commander of the Vostok Battalion of the DNR National Army Alexander Khodakovsky stated that an agreement had been reached on the possible evacuation of wounded Ukrainian servicemen from the territory of the Azovstal enterprise.

View Quote

https://t.me/aleksandr_skif/2170
The first ten military men with white flags came out of "our" tunnel, - let's press on.

View Quote

https://t.me/aleksandr_skif/2173
Apparently, the evacuation of the wounded is being prepared. A group of parliamentarians from the enemy’s side, who left in the morning with white flags, and a counter group from our side determined the route for the removal of the wounded, the enemy began clearing the rubble, we are observing and do not interfere.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:

The new woobie!
View All Quotes

A real military tarp would have thermal blocking; those are already on the market these days.

I suspect future wise, we'd see an anti drone tarp combining thermal blocking with a core of 1-2 layers kevlar to prevent gravity dropped munitions/drones from tearing through the tarp.

The new woobie!

We shall call it...The Droobie!  I foresee that they will be in short supply and require two to shelter under each one, and henceforth those huddled close under the protection shall be called...The Droobie Brothers!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#30]

My takeaway was that this "small government Conservative" thinks the FedGov should be spending billions on producing formula because the private sector isn't meeting demand. Sounds like your typical Big R Republican to me...

If she cared so much about the formula shortage, she'd be sponsoring a bill to fast track the FDA reopening the plant it shuttered instead of crying about Ukraine.
View Quote

How about impeaching FDA director that kept it closed for so long. Time this admin started facing consequences for wrongdoing/negligence.

Back to UA-RU war now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#31]

The new woobie!
View All Quotes

The new woobie!

Arf crowdfunded?!?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#32]
https://t.me/aleksandr_skif/2169
They had only "muffled" one rat move, when, in the course of squeezing the enemy from the periphery, they discovered the next one. What you see is that very periphery. It encircles Azovstal for many kilometers, keeping the enemy able to get out "into the fresh air."

Our task is to localize him in the zone of the main workshops, which are successfully destroyed by aircraft, and force him to surrender. As long as he maneuvers even in a narrow strip around the plant, he has a chance to evade air strikes that are effective against a concentrated, not "smeared" enemy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#34]

A few things -

If you really believe that Ukraine isn't guilty of a bunch of the crap that was thrown at them and the Hunter Biden/other DNC relatives and families getting paid, I feel sorry for you.

If you really be believe that Russia is on some Christian and corruption fixing crusade, I feel sorry for you.

If you don't believe that Biden offered Zelenski a ride out, hoping war would kill and destroy a lot of evidence of their crimes, I feel sorry for you.

If you don't believe killing Russians is a righteous cause, and spending our money, not our blood, to do it there is good, I feel sorry for you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

The tank driver's upper torso flying up at the drone at high speed?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#37]

I'm no fighter ace but this is a totally different tactic. The Russians are not "popping up" and engaging any target. They never see the target but are lobbing their unguided rockets in the general direction of the enemy.

This is the equivalent to infantry using their automatic grenade launcher for indirect fire. They have no idea where the rounds will hit, they do not see the target, but are hoping to get lucky.

Infantry analog is holding your rifle above your head, hopefully out of the foxhole and emptying a mag towards the enemy.

View Quote

Look up the Lee Enfield Mad Minute.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Wouldn't be the first time. They did it after the Holodomor already.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Originally Posted By SpaceGuy:

The losses of males in DPR/LPR have been staggering. I wonder if this is part of a Russian repopulation strategy once the war is over and they think they win: Move in a ton of breeding-age males to make more Russian kids in these regions. Probably gonna do that with the Buryats too.

Wouldn't be the first time. They did it after the Holodomor already.

Regarding the “DPR/LPR” cannon fodder,many  of you are forgetting some history. Who did Stalin throw at Finland in the Winter War?

Attachment Attached File

Those were Ukrainians.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:53:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#40]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Russia and the USSR before them never understood nuclear war to be “unthinkable.”  They planned for and expended the resources to limit their casualties and preserve productive capacity.  During the cold war, the USSR would have accepted 80% casualties to “win” an all-out nuclear war with the US.  Only overwhelming MAD prevented them from testing that philosophy.  Unfortunately, 200-400 total warheads will not fulfill the requirements of MAD.  All of them are sub-based, and typically 1/3 to 2/3 of that arsenal is in port at any given time.  Now we’re down to 130-264 at most.  Of those maybe 20% will fail.  Now we’re down to 104-211.
If they could be guaranteed of the US sitting it out, Russia would try to split the nuclear NATO nations from the rest and from each other in order to achieve their aims in Europe.  Faced with total destruction, it is very likely that France and possibly Britain would forge a separate peace with Russia.  If only Britain opposed them, that’s 180 warheads, only 100 of which will hit targets.  An unknown number of those would be neutralized by Russia’s ABM defenses.  If Russia could achieve those conditions, and given the current power structure in Russia, I believe they would launch tomorrow and accept the damage while holding the rest of the world hostage.  You’re free to disagree.
View Quote

The underground facilities at Aztoval were designed to survive a nuclear attack. The Ukrainians still fight on there. I think Russia has a lot of this type of infrastructure in its cities.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TAP:

Not attacking the OP or the response, but that discussion raises some good points.  The threat, and thus the protection against it, is quite different for a stable, long-term location like an airbase.

To put that in a real-world-elsewhere perspective, how many successful quadcopter attacks (of the nature seen in a loads of videos here) have been made on our bases in Iraq and Syria in recent years?  The number is zero, because of our systems designed to protect against such threats.  

Contrast that with how many successful attacks on those same bases from Type III or larger drones (generally fixed wing one-way suicide attacks, more like small cruise missiles or V1 rockets)- and the number is not zero.  It comes down to issues like speed, detection, defense layers, airframe survivability, electronics, etc- none of which I'll get into here.  

The small-payload quads are great against an undefended location, such as forward troops who simply cannot be defended everywhere all the time by the necessary systems due to resource constraints. But if you think a single grenade dropping quad is going to get over and take out targets on a US base or airfield, you're learning the wrong lessons from this conflict.  A weapon needs to be matched against its target, and quads are currently not a universal answer as some seem to suspect.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TAP:
A fixed target is going to need some major upgrades to survive a drone-heavy environment. I suspect that will redefine some ADA technologies with tricks like distributed grids of millimeter wave radars or other new spatial sensor technologies to keep the small, stealthy drones away from sensitive areas.

Aircraft revetments may need to be upgraded, fully-enclosed and/or also equipped with APS to be more survivable.

There's still nothing you can do about very long-ranged GPS guided attack vectors, like mine-dispensing ALCMs sent along the runways, or long-ranged GPS artillery rounds, except to have counterbattery radar to warn you about incoming, and either protect or disperse assets.

You won't mount a successful attack on any base with a thermal and an ar15 either. That does not mean you should not have both in your bag of tricks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Thank you,this on top of my mom dying is quite a lot on the old heart.

She isn’t an idiot,she’s a smart woman and yet this has worked on her. Stupid,stupid me could understand how the Russians wanted to buy influence at the NRA,groom some to appear on Russia Today and make them Russophile and then send them back to US media,how they fuck with us here and push fragmentary movements everywhere. I just feel like a damn fool to not have seen what was happening under my nose,I was unaware that the influence was so strong and that she was internalizing these ideas so deeply. I simply did not think people who were ostensibly pro-freedom would so quickly side with Russia,I certainly didn’t think it was going to happen to her. This is like some kind of supernatural punishment but better it happen now than later.

The crazy thing is she detests,absolutely can not stand,Russian men. She’s gonna have to go find one or maybe a MAGA hat wearer 🤷🏼‍♂️

View Quote

If I demanded that my wife (or any other human being) agreed with me 100% I'd be living in a cave. Sure, this IS an important subject but you seem very dogmatic also and I bet she is almost as frustrated as you are.

Did she paint a big "Z" on her car or is just a little sinical about Ukraine. Maybe she doesnt see the non-Russian world as one big happy globalist commune. Give her a break and change the subject, find stuff you do agree about.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Russia Stronk!, invents "new" Table.
  • Putin debuted another massive table while meeting with members of the Collective Security Treaty Organization.
  • According to Russian state media, the table is "long but round."
  • Putin has distanced himself while meeting with other world leaders at a different, impractically long table.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has a new long table  but this one is round.

According to Russian state media, Putin was joined by the leaders of the Collective Security Treaty Organization countries at the massive round table Monday.
The group discussed "deeper military cooperation and more efficient interaction on an entire range of current and new challenges and threats, including those emanating from Afghanistan," the Kremlin said, according to Russian state media outlet Tass.

Putin has met with a number of high-ranking officials at a different ridiculously long  but straight  white wooden table, including French President Emmanuel Macron and head of the UN General Antnio Guterres.

Media reports have hinted Putin is obsessed with his health, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Guardian wrote that the impractically lengthy table might be used to limit Putin's exposure to other people. It could also be an attempt to appear intimidating or to show guests his power in Russia, The Guardian reported.

The previously-used long table became an infamous symbol, appearing in state TV dispatches after Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24.
View Quote

Russian state media shows off Putin's new 'long but round' table at the Kremlin
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#49]
"The Ukrainian military is already being trained on the Slovak Zuzana 2 self-propelled artillery mounts.

"I can confirm - and you are the first to whom I confirmed this - that the training of Ukrainians on this technique is already underway, so there is a serious and very intense interest," (Slovak Minister of Defense Jaroslav) Nad said.

According to the minister, at least eight self-propelled guns will be transferred to the Armed Forces of Ukraine."

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Krater:

Russian TG channels.

"I want to tell about my grief so that people know the truth. My husband, a simple worker. Sent on March 14 to the distributor of the military unit 08805 in Makeevka. On March 27 he was sent to Mariupol. On March 28, he wrote an SMS early in the morning, saying that he is the 3rd line of defense. Since then, silence ... For a whole month I was looking for my husband, hoping that he was alive, that there was simply no connection. Military unit 08805 lied to me on the phone. Yes, and when they arrived they were not allowed into the unit. They did not report where he serves. At the end of April, they said that he was not here, that he was in the direction of Kherson. And when I myself found my husband in the morgue of Mariupol, I informed the unit that he had died. But he was not listed as dead on their lists and wounded. The unit of me asked - WHERE HE SERVED???? Me, who was looking for him and tried to find out in the unit. According to the stories of colleagues, it was not possible to pick him up from the place of death, since there were battles. How long did my husband lie there - unknown. Part does not keep records of the dead, wounded and missing. Do not tell the truth to relatives, so that there are no panic. Our family itself was looking for its own, calling the morgues of Mariupol, Mangush. Found it at the end of April. April 21 was the act of opening it. But no one considered it necessary to inform his relatives that he was lying there. As the workers of the morgue said - THIS IS NOT IN THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES. Our relatives lie in sacks under fences in Kalinin, Makiivka, and so on. for 1-2 months and NOBODY tells them about it. Poor mothers, wives, children must examine all the corpses that are in the morgues and look for their relatives themselves. Why do we women of Donbass have to endure this!? For 8 years they killed us, worked for a penny like slaves, and now they have destroyed our men!!! There is a purposeful destruction of the male population of Donbass. I was found by his guys, who respected my husband, became friends, but they were lucky - they remained alive. They reported that on March 27, half an hour after their arrival in Mariupol, they immediately entered the battle. Our husbands, sons, without military experience, without protective equipment, were simply thrown into battle right away !!! What is the 3rd line of defense???? On March 31, my husband died and many men were with him too. Men are gradually being taken out of there. They throw our inexperienced, unprotected husbands straight into battle. They call them "mushrooms". They only have helmets. And they are mowed down like mushrooms. With the help of our inexperienced guys, enemy firing points are revealed. Now, in addition to hatred for Ukraine, hatred for the DPR and Russia has been added for using our relatives as targets. How many volunteers are there who want to fight!!! Why was it necessary to mobilize ordinary hard workers and purposefully and thoughtlessly send them to death?!!!"

These are all, not isolated cases, a lot of people write, unfortunately I can't publish all the stories.

Most everyone left in DPR/LPR are Russian, and most Ukrainians have left

I took it as cannon fodder, make UA use up their munitions on the LPR/DPR conscripts so the Russian conscripts live longer.  If this is it, its not working
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1956 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top