Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1957 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prime:
View Quote

Why is United Kingdon allowing a Rusian ship to dock? Siezing the ship?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

While that would be funny,I am genuinely heartbroken at it taking this to realize just how much influence virtual interactions have had. It's one thing to be here on Arf and see people take Russian talking points at face value because they feel they need to pick a side and it's essentially meaningless to them anyway. At the breakfast table 194 km from the Russian border it is another thing to hear that Russia has legitimate concerns. If Russia crossed the border as Putin's dying gasp I have to fight,she knows this cognitively and can't understand the parallels between UA and here as to how easy it would be to press the same narrative.

I feel like an idiot for not doing more to at least temper this but just saw her watching Candace Owens videos as entertainment. I was never prepared for her to use them against my sending aid to Ukraine,I didn't think that portion of the right would take this stance. It is such an awful thing for me to internalize but I understand why some guys on here immediately run to "false flag coverup" when there is a shooting but have long naively thought "these are just a small portion of the farthest right,it's emotional"   but I haven't had this disconnect with reality with someone in real life,let alone who is closest to me.  I feel like a goddamn fool because I simply didn't get that this is what she's been filling her head with while I've been busting my ass to source IFAKs,helmets that have quadrupled in priceand the worst is that she is choosing the American far right over me and what I would have said months ago is our people. As a nation we are heavily supporting UA and the Internet/American right has turned her against our society. I would have preferred her finding another man as this is insanity to me. This sounds incredibly ridiculous and sensationalist but this nonsense has conditioned her for collaboration and it's simply unacceptable when she knows our history,she is 100% aware that a traitor turned in my great uncles to be executed. Emotionally this is a disaster and one that is difficult to rationalize.

I had no idea what  would happen in my home is that  the tweets of Candace Owens would be more important than the man she spent 12 years with. She has is smart enough to have read Friedman and Sowell but unfortunately has fallen for this.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/ABEC56BD-C350-4E04-B7AC-DB58205A1B24_jpe-2385733.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/F4488631-3DFB-4FD7-BF7E-95EC011C868A_jpe-2385734.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Unfortunately an awful lot of people have been very,very influenced by the Internet. My SO of 12 years and I are taking a break from each other now that may very well become permanent due to how much Jordan Peterson and Gad Saad and their social media circle has shaped her world view from being conservative to having moments of sheer crazy talk. It's a horrible thing to essentially lose someone to the internet but I can not accept "you have to at least be skeptical,Ukraine is corrupt and has faked many things" when discussing mass murder. We are a tiny nation on Russia's border,I don't want to hear about "they have their security concerns too". No.

This isn't someone who had zero knowledge of history and geography,it's a bright woman who latched on to the exact same talking points without thinking about them critically. It made me realize what caused this shift in her from being fairly conservative to complaining about Muslim immigration - there are next to none here - or homsexuals and such when I honestly don't see them remotely being an issue in our society.

My overall take is that if she can be manipulated about these things then it would be very,very easy to convince her about our country and myself. I see too many ways for this war to go sideways and involve us but more to the point when she told me that the aid I've personally sent to UA is just prolonging the fighting and that they need to make concessions for peace it was just too much,this isn't something she would have said a few months ago and quite frankly I'm terrified of the day she starts to go on about Globohomo and white replacement. It's just too upsetting that I feel I lost someone to a virtual cult and here is the thing: I can say my piece but I get told I'm  wrong because a bunch of virtual opinions say so,it's too insulting and ridiculous.

It makes it very easy to see how someone with little real world experience to temper things can take a bunch of shit far too literally. This is legitimately scary to me because if she can have her world view fucked by this then it it's no wonder someone young with no real world experience can easily adopt the worst aspects of the far right rhetoric and act upon them.

Send her a MAGA hat as a parting gift.

While that would be funny,I am genuinely heartbroken at it taking this to realize just how much influence virtual interactions have had. It's one thing to be here on Arf and see people take Russian talking points at face value because they feel they need to pick a side and it's essentially meaningless to them anyway. At the breakfast table 194 km from the Russian border it is another thing to hear that Russia has legitimate concerns. If Russia crossed the border as Putin's dying gasp I have to fight,she knows this cognitively and can't understand the parallels between UA and here as to how easy it would be to press the same narrative.

I feel like an idiot for not doing more to at least temper this but just saw her watching Candace Owens videos as entertainment. I was never prepared for her to use them against my sending aid to Ukraine,I didn't think that portion of the right would take this stance. It is such an awful thing for me to internalize but I understand why some guys on here immediately run to "false flag coverup" when there is a shooting but have long naively thought "these are just a small portion of the farthest right,it's emotional"   but I haven't had this disconnect with reality with someone in real life,let alone who is closest to me.  I feel like a goddamn fool because I simply didn't get that this is what she's been filling her head with while I've been busting my ass to source IFAKs,helmets that have quadrupled in priceand the worst is that she is choosing the American far right over me and what I would have said months ago is our people. As a nation we are heavily supporting UA and the Internet/American right has turned her against our society. I would have preferred her finding another man as this is insanity to me. This sounds incredibly ridiculous and sensationalist but this nonsense has conditioned her for collaboration and it's simply unacceptable when she knows our history,she is 100% aware that a traitor turned in my great uncles to be executed. Emotionally this is a disaster and one that is difficult to rationalize.

I had no idea what  would happen in my home is that  the tweets of Candace Owens would be more important than the man she spent 12 years with. She has is smart enough to have read Friedman and Sowell but unfortunately has fallen for this.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/ABEC56BD-C350-4E04-B7AC-DB58205A1B24_jpe-2385733.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/F4488631-3DFB-4FD7-BF7E-95EC011C868A_jpe-2385734.JPG
Whine about $40B going to good use, sans the pork demorats put in it

There should have been more whining with the democrats multi-trillion covid spending bills
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

The fact that Russia has lost over a THOUSAND tanks and THREE THOUSAND APC's is just mind boggling to me.

ALso 27,000 dead soldiers
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:

There should have been more whining with the democrats multi-trillion covid spending bills
View All Quotes

Depends on where the ship is flagged and who actually owns it. "Russian Ship" is a little vague.

By Nikos Chrysoloras, Alberto Nardelli and Ewa Krukowska (Bloomberg) The European Union is set to soften its sanctions package on Russian oil exports after a weekend of wrangling, though it aims to keep a key shipping provision that will hinder Moscow's ability to export its crude.

The bloc will drop a proposed ban on EU-owned vessels transporting Russian oil to third countries, according to documents seen by Bloomberg and people familiar with the matter. Critically, a prohibition on insurance is still in the works and would remain a significant impediment to exports.

Greece, whose economy is heavily reliant on shipping, was among the member states that pushed the provision on exporting to third countries to be dropped from the EU's sixth package of sanctions over Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the people said. The lack of a single position among Group of Seven nations was central to the proposal being dropped.

Bloomberg.

Greek Shipowners Kill EU's Russian Oil Tanker Ban
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Warstache is still alive:

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Most everyone left in DPR/LPR are Russian, and most Ukrainians have left
View Quote

Let me correct you. Most everyone left in DPR/LPR are pro Russia, and most who are pro Ukraine have left.
It's not an ethnic divide. UA military is full of ethnic Russians, same as DPR/LPR militia has a lot of ethnic Ukrainians.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hking:

The fact that Russia has lost over a THOUSAND tanks and THREE THOUSAND APC's is just mind boggling to me.

View Quote

That's probably a very rosy estimate. But if it's even 50% of that, it's still an amazing disaster for Russia.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Now I see, thanks!

https://i.insider.com/624ed08e1096d50018d1e011?width=1000&format=jpeg&auto=webp
Where do they attach stuff.

Apparently as centered as you can to the hub.

https://images.saymedia-content.com/.image/c_limit%2Ccs_srgb%2Cq_auto:eco%2Cw_620/MTg4MjAyMDM2MzA1NzMzNTI1/aerorozvidka-ukraines-special-drone-military-unit.webp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQYVgrmXIAIiOgX?format=jpg&name=small

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article26863643.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Inside-Ukrainian-drone-factory-building-cheap-killing-machines-from-scratch-to-halt-Russias-advance.jpg

Check out the tested warheads though:

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article26863628.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Inside-Ukrainian-drone-factory-building-cheap-killing-machines-from-scratch-to-halt-Russias-advance.jpg

However, after seeing these, it seems the 4 devices dropped by the drone we saw yesterday were larger than what is being shown for this model.   They are claiming a 10lb carry weight for the R-18, so we might have seen a drone that's larger with a hefty bomb load.

After the war is over, these drones will be delivering Amazon products
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

That's probably a very rosy estimate. But if it's even 50% of that, it's still an amazing disaster for Russia.
View Quote

From the intercepted Russian phone calls and communications I think the numbers coming from Ukraine are probably pretty close.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
Russia Stronk!, invents "new" Table.
  • Putin debuted another massive table while meeting with members of the Collective Security Treaty Organization.
  • According to Russian state media, the table is "long but round."
  • Putin has distanced himself while meeting with other world leaders at a different, impractically long table.

Russian state media shows off Putin's new 'long but round' table at the Kremlin
View All Quotes
Russia Stronk!, invents "new" Table.
  • Putin debuted another massive table while meeting with members of the Collective Security Treaty Organization.
  • According to Russian state media, the table is "long but round."
  • Putin has distanced himself while meeting with other world leaders at a different, impractically long table.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has a new long table  but this one is round.

According to Russian state media, Putin was joined by the leaders of the Collective Security Treaty Organization countries at the massive round table Monday.
The group discussed "deeper military cooperation and more efficient interaction on an entire range of current and new challenges and threats, including those emanating from Afghanistan," the Kremlin said, according to Russian state media outlet Tass.

Putin has met with a number of high-ranking officials at a different ridiculously long  but straight  white wooden table, including French President Emmanuel Macron and head of the UN General Antnio Guterres.

Media reports have hinted Putin is obsessed with his health, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Guardian wrote that the impractically lengthy table might be used to limit Putin's exposure to other people. It could also be an attempt to appear intimidating or to show guests his power in Russia, The Guardian reported.

The previously-used long table became an infamous symbol, appearing in state TV dispatches after Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24.

Russian state media shows off Putin's new 'long but round' table at the Kremlin

Blyats of the round table?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

WIA are usually 3-5 times the KIA.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Blyats of the round table?
View Quote
Ha
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Am I the only one who wants to see Estonia's Premier, and Finland's Prime Minister scissoring?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Krater:

A lot in absolute numbers, perhaps. In terms of percentages...I'd cap it at about 20% overall, maybe 30% in younger people.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

I'll say it again, though nobody really cares- there are a lot of Russians who absolutely do give a damn.

A lot in absolute numbers, perhaps. In terms of percentages...I'd cap it at about 20% overall, maybe 30% in younger people.

Based on? Polls in a country where you go to jail if you disagree?

Even the Russian government admits almost 4 million Russians have fled Russia this year.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#16]
No Big Mac's for you!

• McDonald's said Monday it's quitting Russia after more than 30 years in the country.
  • The fast-food giant paused operations in Russia in March, shortly after the Ukraine invasion began.
  • McDonald's said it would sell to a local buyer and "de-arch" all its restaurants in Russia.

McDonald's announced Monday it's quitting Russia after 32 years in the country because its business there is "no longer tenable."

The fast food giant said: "The humanitarian crisis caused by the war in Ukraine, and the precipitating unpredictable operating environment, have led McDonald's to conclude that continued ownership of the business in Russia is no longer tenable, nor is it consistent with McDonald's values."

McDonald's opened its first restaurant in Russia in 1990, in Moscow. For many Russians, the opening of a McDonald's restaurant  synonymous with capitalism and American culture  symbolized the impending collapse of the Soviet Union.

McDonald's said Monday it will sell its Russian business to a local buyer and will "de-arch" all its restaurants in the country, meaning that the company's name, branding, menu, and logo can't be used.

Today, most McDonald's restaurants in Russia are company-operated, but more than 100 are owned by franchisees, and some have refused to close. It's a similar story with other Western fast-food chains, including Burger King, which said the operator of its 800 Russian restaurants "refused" to close them.

McDonald's CEO Chris Kempczinski said Monday: "We have a long history of establishing deep, local roots wherever the arches shine. We're exceptionally proud of the 62,000 employees who work in our restaurants, along with the hundreds of Russian suppliers who support our business, and our local franchisees. Their dedication and loyalty to McDonald's make today's announcement extremely difficult."

He added: "However, we have a commitment to our global community and must remain steadfast in our values. And our commitment to our values means that we can no longer keep the arches shining there."

McDonald's said it expected to record a non-cash charge of between $1.2 billion and $1.4 billion as a result of its Russia exit. It reaffirmed its prior 2022 financial outlook.

Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24 and on March 8, McDonald's announced it was temporarily closing restaurants and pausing operations in Russia.

The company said Monday it had initiated the process to sell its Russian operations and was "pursuing the sale of its entire portfolio of McDonald's restaurants in Russia to a local buyer."

The company added it was "seeking to ensure the employees of McDonald's Russia continue to be paid until the close of any transaction" and that "employees have future employment with any potential buyer."

In a message to Russian franchisees, seen by The New York Times, Kempczinski said leaving the country was "a complicated issue that's without precedent and with profound consequences."

McDonald's said in April it had lost around $100 million in wasted inventory after shutting its restaurants in Russia and Ukraine.

Russian news outlet RIA Novosti previously reported that a number of McDonald's restaurants that were owned by franchisees remained open despite the Ukraine war.
View Quote

McDonald's is quitting Russia after 32 years in the country, citing the 'humanitarian crisis' caused by the Ukraine war
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#17]

From the intercepted Russian phone calls and communications I think the numbers coming from Ukraine are probably pretty close.
View Quote

I hope so. It's all just hard to believe those numbers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Stupid speech. She ties a bunch of unrelated stuff togethers to make them seem related. She should pull her head out of her ass and take a look at what she is saying. Talking as if Ukraine and baby formula are one and the same is false.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By realwar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd4XtwmEdPc
Stupid speech. She ties a bunch of unrelated stuff togethers to make them seem related. She should pull her head out of her ass and take a look at what she is saying. Talking as if Ukraine and baby formula are one and the same is false.

have you had to buy formula? I bet not. shits hard to find.
that crazy bitch does have a  good point on THAT
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Et2ss:

Am I the only one who wants to see Estonia's Premier, and Finland's Prime Minister scissoring?  
View Quote

I want to be in the middle of that party not see any scissoring!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes

It's Russia though, apparently they just leave their wounded behind.

For the US, it's 3-5 times the KIA.

I bet their WIA is around 2 times the KIA.  Because, you know, Russians.

I remember one POW interview where a Russian was shot in the back and the leg, and his sergeant and another guy in his unit ran up to him laughing.  He's thinking he's going to be carried for medical care, instead they loot him of his ammo and run away laughing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Capta:

I care. *said in my best Luke Skywalker voice.*
That said, my college major was Russian and Eastern European studies, so I know that going back hundreds of years Russia has always taken the path of authoritarianism.  Always.  What’s going on now is totally unsurprising to me.
A large and vocal majority (centered on the over 40s) are all for genocide against Ukraine.  There is no other way to put that.  What criticism does appear in the public space is that Russia’s performance isn’t matching Russian jingoists’ expectations - i.e. Russia’s lack of success thus far in committing genocide.  No one is complaining that Ukrainian children are being blown to pieces, except to comment on how evil the Ukrainian Nazis are to blow their own children to pieces so they can blame it on Russia.  It’s insane and I cannot even describe my contempt for these people.  NO ONE is so fucking stupid that they don’t know what is really going on.
A significant percentage of younger Russians (under 40) harbor genuine, and even strong opposition to the war. However, these people aren’t making policy and are doing little if anything AFAIK to affect Russia’s public discourse.  I feel sorry for good people caught in a bad situation, but if all those under 40s who opposed the war took to the streets and to social media, they couldn’t arrest everyone and send them to Siberia.  Putin’s government would fall in a week.  But (outside of a tiny minority) they aren’t saying anything and they aren’t acting.  They are allowing genocide to take place in their name and they are allowing their own nation to commit suicide.  I don’t say that lightly or jingoistically.  Ukraine and the world in general are in deep shit thanks to Putin, but Russia is on the brink of destruction.  The exodus of young Russians provides some proof that the younger generation understands that their country is going to hell, but they’re taking the easy way out instead of fighting for change.
Sorry, long reply to a short statement.
View All Quotes

I'll say it again, though nobody really cares- there are a lot of Russians who absolutely do give a damn.

I care. *said in my best Luke Skywalker voice.*
That said, my college major was Russian and Eastern European studies, so I know that going back hundreds of years Russia has always taken the path of authoritarianism.  Always.  What’s going on now is totally unsurprising to me.
A large and vocal majority (centered on the over 40s) are all for genocide against Ukraine.  There is no other way to put that.  What criticism does appear in the public space is that Russia’s performance isn’t matching Russian jingoists’ expectations - i.e. Russia’s lack of success thus far in committing genocide.  No one is complaining that Ukrainian children are being blown to pieces, except to comment on how evil the Ukrainian Nazis are to blow their own children to pieces so they can blame it on Russia.  It’s insane and I cannot even describe my contempt for these people.  NO ONE is so fucking stupid that they don’t know what is really going on.
A significant percentage of younger Russians (under 40) harbor genuine, and even strong opposition to the war. However, these people aren’t making policy and are doing little if anything AFAIK to affect Russia’s public discourse.  I feel sorry for good people caught in a bad situation, but if all those under 40s who opposed the war took to the streets and to social media, they couldn’t arrest everyone and send them to Siberia.  Putin’s government would fall in a week.  But (outside of a tiny minority) they aren’t saying anything and they aren’t acting.  They are allowing genocide to take place in their name and they are allowing their own nation to commit suicide.  I don’t say that lightly or jingoistically.  Ukraine and the world in general are in deep shit thanks to Putin, but Russia is on the brink of destruction.  The exodus of young Russians provides some proof that the younger generation understands that their country is going to hell, but they’re taking the easy way out instead of fighting for change.
Sorry, long reply to a short statement.

That same probably majority of old people (I say probably because we really don't know) also gets their news from state media and knows no other way. I'm not excusing it- I know a couple of these people and it's no less disgusting. Yes, I agree Russia as a nation always chooses authoritarianism- for the last 20 years it's been a...sort of softer authoritarianism, and is now getting "stronger" and pushing those young people out. What else can they really do? They're unarmed. They've always been unarmed.
So they leave, or they suffer in silence (another very Russian thing to do).
Ultimately my point is that there are a significant number of Russians that are NOT like what we're seeing these animals in Ukraine do. Remember, even a lot of those guys have surrendered, and supposedly refused to follow orders- whether out of self preservation or conscience, nobody knows.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#22]
In March, Lucy Shtein escaped from house arrest in Russia by disguising herself as a food courier.

The Russian Internal Affairs Ministry placed Lucy Shtein, a member of the art and protest group Pussy Riot, on its wanted list on Monday after she fled from Russia amid the country's invasion of Ukraine.

The ministry stated that Shtein is wanted under an article of the Criminal Code, but did not specify which law she had broken.

In March, Shtein escaped from house arrest in Russia by disguising herself as a food courier, according to The Guardian. "We have become so used to delivery couriers roaming Moscow, so it was a foolproof way to escape," Shtein told the British newspaper.

Her girlfriend, Maria V. Alyokhina, fled Russia in April with the same disguise, according to The New York Times. Alyokhina was placed on the wanted list later that month.

Shtein was convicted last year by a court in Moscow for allegedly inciting people to break coronavirus regulations and sentenced to a year of restricted freedom of movement. She had posted about a protest in support of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny.

According to RBC news, Russian authorities had recently begun checking her Twitter posts on suspicion that she was spreading "deliberately false information" about the Russian armed forces.

Since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began, Russian authorities have cracked down even harder than usual on any criticism of the government or military. In March, the Russian parliament passed a law banning public actions and speech "discrediting" Russia's military and banning the spread of "fake news."

Alyokhina told The New York Times that she does not "think Russia has a right to exist anymore. Even before, there were questions about how it is united, by what values it is united, and where it is going. But now I don't think that is a question anymore."

On April 8, Shtein posted a video on Twitter of herself cutting a tracking bracelet off her ankle, writing that "parting is a small death, but I am forced to prematurely break off relations with the Russian Federation."

"It felt liberating to finally take off that electronic ankle tag," Shtein told The Guardian. "Out of reflex, I still put on my socks as if the tag is there. And I still get shaken when I hear someone knocking on my door."

Shtein and other members of Pussy Riot have been repeatedly arrested by Russian authorities in the past decade as they expressed strong criticism of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
View Quote

Pussy Riot member placed on Russian wanted list after escape
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#23]

While that would be funny,I am genuinely heartbroken at it taking this to realize just how much influence virtual interactions have had. It’s one thing to be here on Arf and see people take Russian talking points at face value because they feel they need to pick a side and it’s essentially meaningless to them anyway. At the breakfast table 194 km from the Russian border it is another thing to hear that Russia has legitimate concerns. If Russia crossed the border as Putin’s dying gasp I have to fight,she knows this cognitively and can’t understand the parallels between UA and here as to how easy it would be to press the same narrative.

I feel like an idiot for not doing more to at least temper this but just saw her watching Candace Owens videos as entertainment. I was never prepared for her to use them against my sending aid to Ukraine,I didn’t think that portion of the right would take this stance. It is such an awful thing for me to internalize but I understand why some guys on here immediately run to “false flag coverup” when there is a shooting but have long naively thought “these are just a small portion of the farthest right,it’s emotional…”   but I haven’t had this disconnect with reality with someone in real life,let alone who is closest to me.  I feel like a goddamn fool because I simply didn’t get that this is what she’s been filling her head with while I’ve been busting my ass to source IFAKs,helmets that have quadrupled in price…and the worst is that she is choosing the American far right over me and what I would have said months ago is our people. As a nation we are heavily supporting UA and the Internet/American right has turned her against our society. I would have preferred her finding another man as this is insanity to me. This sounds incredibly ridiculous and sensationalist but this nonsense has conditioned her for collaboration and it’s simply unacceptable when she knows our history,she is 100% aware that a traitor turned in my great uncles to be executed. Emotionally this is a disaster and one that is difficult to rationalize.

View All Quotes

Unfortunately an awful lot of people have been very,very influenced by the Internet. My SO of 12 years and I are taking a break from each other now that may very well become permanent due to how much Jordan Peterson and Gad Saad and their social media circle has shaped her world view from being conservative to having moments of sheer crazy talk. It’s a horrible thing to essentially lose someone to the internet but I can not accept “you have to at least be skeptical,Ukraine is corrupt and has faked many things” when discussing mass murder. We are a tiny nation on Russia’s border,I don’t want to hear about “they have their security concerns too”. No.

This isn’t someone who had zero knowledge of history and geography,it’s a bright woman who latched on to the exact same talking points without thinking about them critically. It made me realize what caused this shift in her from being fairly conservative to complaining about Muslim immigration - there are next to none here - or homsexuals and such when I honestly don’t see them remotely being an issue in our society.

My overall take is that if she can be manipulated about these things then it would be very,very easy to convince her about our country and myself. I see too many ways for this war to go sideways and involve us but more to the point when she told me that the aid I’ve personally sent to UA is just prolonging the fighting and that they need to make concessions for peace it was just too much,this isn’t something she would have said a few months ago and quite frankly I’m terrified of the day she starts to go on about Globohomo and white replacement. It’s just too upsetting that I feel I lost someone to a virtual cult and here is the thing: I can say my piece but I get told I’m  wrong because a bunch of virtual opinions say so,it’s too insulting and ridiculous.

It makes it very easy to see how someone with little real world experience to temper things can take a bunch of shit far too literally. This is legitimately scary to me because if she can have her world view fucked by this then it it’s no wonder someone young with no real world experience can easily adopt the worst aspects of the far right rhetoric and act upon them.

While that would be funny,I am genuinely heartbroken at it taking this to realize just how much influence virtual interactions have had. It’s one thing to be here on Arf and see people take Russian talking points at face value because they feel they need to pick a side and it’s essentially meaningless to them anyway. At the breakfast table 194 km from the Russian border it is another thing to hear that Russia has legitimate concerns. If Russia crossed the border as Putin’s dying gasp I have to fight,she knows this cognitively and can’t understand the parallels between UA and here as to how easy it would be to press the same narrative.

I feel like an idiot for not doing more to at least temper this but just saw her watching Candace Owens videos as entertainment. I was never prepared for her to use them against my sending aid to Ukraine,I didn’t think that portion of the right would take this stance. It is such an awful thing for me to internalize but I understand why some guys on here immediately run to “false flag coverup” when there is a shooting but have long naively thought “these are just a small portion of the farthest right,it’s emotional…”   but I haven’t had this disconnect with reality with someone in real life,let alone who is closest to me.  I feel like a goddamn fool because I simply didn’t get that this is what she’s been filling her head with while I’ve been busting my ass to source IFAKs,helmets that have quadrupled in price…and the worst is that she is choosing the American far right over me and what I would have said months ago is our people. As a nation we are heavily supporting UA and the Internet/American right has turned her against our society. I would have preferred her finding another man as this is insanity to me. This sounds incredibly ridiculous and sensationalist but this nonsense has conditioned her for collaboration and it’s simply unacceptable when she knows our history,she is 100% aware that a traitor turned in my great uncles to be executed. Emotionally this is a disaster and one that is difficult to rationalize.

Damn, that sucks. I don't follow Owens closely, I didn't know she went all retarded over Ukraine. I would have a real hard time living with someone who was repeating that bullshit.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mrrick:

have you had to buy formula? I bet not. shits hard to find.
that crazy bitch does have a  good point on THAT
View Quote

Ok but what does military aid to Ukraine have to do with the price and availability of baby formula?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:17:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Mike] [#25]

Unfortunately an awful lot of people have been very,very influenced by the Internet. My SO of 12 years and I are taking a break from each other now that may very well become permanent due to how much Jordan Peterson and Gad Saad and their social media circle has shaped her world view from being conservative to having moments of sheer crazy talk. It’s a horrible thing to essentially lose someone to the internet but I can not accept “you have to at least be skeptical,Ukraine is corrupt and has faked many things” when discussing mass murder. We are a tiny nation on Russia’s border,I don’t want to hear about “they have their security concerns too”. No.

This isn’t someone who had zero knowledge of history and geography,it’s a bright woman who latched on to the exact same talking points without thinking about them critically. It made me realize what caused this shift in her from being fairly conservative to complaining about Muslim immigration - there are next to none here - or homsexuals and such when I honestly don’t see them remotely being an issue in our society.

My overall take is that if she can be manipulated about these things then it would be very,very easy to convince her about our country and myself. I see too many ways for this war to go sideways and involve us but more to the point when she told me that the aid I’ve personally sent to UA is just prolonging the fighting and that they need to make concessions for peace it was just too much,this isn’t something she would have said a few months ago and quite frankly I’m terrified of the day she starts to go on about Globohomo and white replacement. It’s just too upsetting that I feel I lost someone to a virtual cult and here is the thing: I can say my piece but I get told I’m  wrong because a bunch of virtual opinions say so,it’s too insulting and ridiculous.

It makes it very easy to see how someone with little real world experience to temper things can take a bunch of shit far too literally. This is legitimately scary to me because if she can have her world view fucked by this then it it’s no wonder someone young with no real world experience can easily adopt the worst aspects of the far right rhetoric and act upon them.

View Quote

You are dropping a lot of names.  I've not seen anything pro-Russian invasion from Peterson but the opposite.
https://youtu.be/Ys2zTL-b3eE

Mike

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SpaceGuy:

The losses of males in DPR/LPR have been staggering. I wonder if this is part of a Russian repopulation strategy once the war is over and they think they win: Move in a ton of breeding-age males to make more Russian kids in these regions. Probably gonna do that with the Buryats too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpaceGuy:

Russian TG channels.

"I want to tell about my grief so that people know the truth. My husband, a simple worker. Sent on March 14 to the distributor of the military unit 08805 in Makeevka. On March 27 he was sent to Mariupol. On March 28, he wrote an SMS early in the morning, saying that he is the 3rd line of defense. Since then, silence ... For a whole month I was looking for my husband, hoping that he was alive, that there was simply no connection. Military unit 08805 lied to me on the phone. Yes, and when they arrived they were not allowed into the unit. They did not report where he serves. At the end of April, they said that he was not here, that he was in the direction of Kherson. And when I myself found my husband in the morgue of Mariupol, I informed the unit that he had died. But he was not listed as dead on their lists and wounded. The unit of me asked - WHERE HE SERVED???? Me, who was looking for him and tried to find out in the unit. According to the stories of colleagues, it was not possible to pick him up from the place of death, since there were battles. How long did my husband lie there - unknown. Part does not keep records of the dead, wounded and missing. Do not tell the truth to relatives, so that there are no panic. Our family itself was looking for its own, calling the morgues of Mariupol, Mangush. Found it at the end of April. April 21 was the act of opening it. But no one considered it necessary to inform his relatives that he was lying there. As the workers of the morgue said - THIS IS NOT IN THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES. Our relatives lie in sacks under fences in Kalinin, Makiivka, and so on. for 1-2 months and NOBODY tells them about it. Poor mothers, wives, children must examine all the corpses that are in the morgues and look for their relatives themselves. Why do we women of Donbass have to endure this!? For 8 years they killed us, worked for a penny like slaves, and now they have destroyed our men!!! There is a purposeful destruction of the male population of Donbass. I was found by his guys, who respected my husband, became friends, but they were lucky - they remained alive. They reported that on March 27, half an hour after their arrival in Mariupol, they immediately entered the battle. Our husbands, sons, without military experience, without protective equipment, were simply thrown into battle right away !!! What is the 3rd line of defense???? On March 31, my husband died and many men were with him too. Men are gradually being taken out of there. They throw our inexperienced, unprotected husbands straight into battle. They call them "mushrooms". They only have helmets. And they are mowed down like mushrooms. With the help of our inexperienced guys, enemy firing points are revealed. Now, in addition to hatred for Ukraine, hatred for the DPR and Russia has been added for using our relatives as targets. How many volunteers are there who want to fight!!! Why was it necessary to mobilize ordinary hard workers and purposefully and thoughtlessly send them to death?!!!"

These are all, not isolated cases, a lot of people write, unfortunately I can't publish all the stories.

The losses of males in DPR/LPR have been staggering. I wonder if this is part of a Russian repopulation strategy once the war is over and they think they win: Move in a ton of breeding-age males to make more Russian kids in these regions. Probably gonna do that with the Buryats too.

I have no first hand knowledge of the ethnic makeup of the Donbas region, but from the maps posted earlier in this thread it seems to me that those areas were already majority Russian. So, if they wanted increase Russian ethnic "control" all they had to do was reduce Ukrainian ethnic component, which they've done by way of causing a refugee crisis and forcibly relocating Ukrainians from the Donbas (if reports of that are true and I believe they are). This means they are actually sending locals into the meat grinder that are already Russians. I guess they are being liberated of their lives? On the surface this makes no sense except if you consider how much cheaper it is for Russia to use these people as bait versus using their regular troops. Thus illustrating how little human lives of any ethnicity mean to Russia. This should not be a surprise to anyone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Drakich:

I remember one POW interview where a Russian was shot in the back and the leg, and his sergeant and another guy in his unit ran up to him laughing.  He's thinking he's going to be carried for medical care, instead they loot him of his ammo and run away laughing.
View Quote

I watched this interview. That "another guy" was his commanding officer
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Russian TG channels.

They throw our inexperienced, unprotected husbands straight into battle. They call them "mushrooms". They only have helmets. And they are mowed down like mushrooms. With the help of our inexperienced guys, enemy firing points are revealed. Now, in addition to hatred for Ukraine, hatred for the DPR and Russia has been added for using our relatives as targets. How many volunteers are there who want to fight!!! Why was it necessary to mobilize ordinary hard workers and purposefully and thoughtlessly send them to death?!!!"

These are all, not isolated cases, a lot of people write, unfortunately I can’t publish all the stories.
View Quote

Now she is starting to understand.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I hope things work out for you. You are in a stressful, complicated situation.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:30:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PurpleOtter] [#30]
We all believe Russia will let this happen, right?

An agreement on the evacuation of wounded Ukrainian soldiers from the territory of the Azovstal metallurgical plant was reached with a humanitarian corridor being opened, the Russian Ministry of Defense reported.

"On May 16, as a result of negotiations with representatives of Ukrainian military personnel blocked on the territory of the Azovstal metallurgical plant in Mariupol, an agreement was reached on the evacuation of the wounded," the ministry said.

Wounded Ukrainian soldiers will be transported to a medical facility in Novoazovsk, Donetsk, which is controlled by Russian forces. Russia states the wounded "will be provided with all the necessary assistance."

Reuters could not immediately verify Ukraine's battlefield account and it was not clear how many troops had reached the Russian border and where.

If confirmed, it would suggest a Ukrainian counter-offensive is having increasing success in pushing back Russian forces in the northeast after Western military agencies said Moscow's offensive in the Donbas region had stalled.

On Monday, Ukrainian spokesman for General Staff of the Armed Forces Oleksandr Shtupun said that Russia was concentrating on preventing the Ukrainian military from reaching the border.

Ukraine's Defense Ministry said in a Facebook post that the 227th Battalion of the 127th Brigade of Ukraine's armed forces had reached the border with Russia, adding: "Together to victory!"

Kharkiv region governor Oleh Sinegubov wrote on the Telegram messaging app that troops of the 227th Battalion had restored a sign on the state border.
"We thank everyone who, risking their lives, liberates Ukraine from Russian invaders," Sinegubov said.

Shtupun warned that Russia was preparing for an offensive from the area of Izyum, based on the concentration of units there.

In Mariupol, "the main efforts of the occupiers focused on the blocking and damaging of our units in the area of the Azovstal plant," said Shtupun. He said the Russians continued to use artillery barrages and airstrikes to pummel the area.

In Kherson, the first major Ukrainian city to fall to Russia during the war, Russia claims to have achieved full control.

"The Kherson region is 100% under the protection and guard of the troops of the Russian Federation," deputy head of the military-civilian administration of the region Kirill Stremousov told Russian state media outlet TASS. However, he said that the city was still in range of Ukrainian artillery.

Russia on Monday said its forces had shot down three Ukrainian fighter jets, one near Snake Island in the Black Sea and the others in the Mykolaiv and Kharkiv regions, while its missiles continued to pound targets in the east of the country.

Russia's defense ministry said its forces shot down Su-25 aircraft near the settlements of Yevhenivka in the Mykolaiv region and Velyka Komyshuvakha in Kharkiv, and a Su-24 near Snake Island, which achieved worldwide fame in the conflict's first hours when Ukrainian border guards stationed there rejected a Russian warship's demand for their surrender.

Belarus deployed forces on its border with Ukraine earlier in the month, and have since been watched by Ukrainian forces with wary eyes.

"The presence of Belarusian forces near the border will likely fix Ukrainian troops, so they cannot deploy in support of operations in the Donbas," The UK Defense Ministry said in a Monday morning intelligence briefing. "Despite early speculation, to date Belarusian forces have not been directly involved in the conflict."

The Ukrainian military said on Monday that it had identified up to seven battalions stationed on the border. The Ukrainian military is monitoring the contingents.

"Belarusian territory was used as a staging post for Russia's initial advance on Kyiv and Chernihiv. Russia has also launched air sorties and missile strikes from Belarus," wrote the UK Defense Ministry.  "Belarusian President Lukashenko is likely balancing support for Russia's invasion with a desire to avoid direct military participation with the risk of Western sanctions, Ukrainian retaliation and possible dissatisfaction in the Belarusian military."
View Quote

Russia agrees to evacuate wounded Ukrainian soldiers from Azovstal
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AZ_Mike:

You are dropping a lot of names.  I've not seen anything pro-Russian invasion from Peterson but the opposite.

Mike

View Quote

Not being sufficiently pro-Ukraine is just as bad, to some folks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

If things were going differently, would this woman lament the Ukrainian men, women and children killed by her husband and people like him?  You have sown the wind and you are reaping the whirlwind.
At least now you know whom you serve and that you mean NOTHING to them.

Of course not, she wouldn't give a damn.  She is just upset because her man was used exactly as Russian government sees him - cannon fodder.

Unfortunately, they either have to bite their tongues or flee into exile.

I pity the separatists….the Ukrainians reject them as traitors, their Russian patrons see them as subhuman. They have nowhere to go.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

I pity the separatists.the Ukrainians reject them as traitors, their Russian patrons see them as subhuman. They have nowhere to go.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

If things were going differently, would this woman lament the Ukrainian men, women and children killed by her husband and people like him?  You have sown the wind and you are reaping the whirlwind.
At least now you know whom you serve and that you mean NOTHING to them.

Of course not, she wouldn't give a damn.  She is just upset because her man was used exactly as Russian government sees him - cannon fodder.

I pity the separatists.the Ukrainians reject them as traitors, their Russian patrons see them as subhuman. They have nowhere to go.

The Brit's seem to have a plan.

The British government recently announced a pilot plan to address its continuing refugee crisis. The U.K. interior ministry has signed a deal with Rwanda to send many migrants arriving in the U.K. to the East African nation where their asylum claims can be processed. Many may be asked to settle there. As Willem Marx reports, the proposal has already drawn widespread condemnation.
Britain has partnered with Rwanda to process and settle thousands of migrants
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#34]

New Lada/Technical/MRAP for Ivan...

I guess they had to do something rapid to replace the APCs getting smoked. Looks sorta like some of the South African stuff. Wonder if it will stop an RPG?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
They will, then torture and mutilate the wounded in an attempt to extract more information. I'd rather die my own agonizing death than to have it expedited by a godless orc, there is nothing humane about the lying, morally corrupt scum.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Holy shit!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

Holy shit!

Here I’m think Ok, was being impressed with that this multicolored is carrying more than one grenade or mortar round, then watching the orc run around in a circle in the wooded patch at the top of the screen.   Then holy smokes!

Someday I want to see a turret flying up toward the drone camera, with the commanders face screaming like the nazi officer looking right into the camera as we saw when the old tank falls off the cliff as in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AZ_Mike:

Mike

View Quote

Yeah. I became more concerned about communism and the radical left in north america specifically because of peterson warning about them and the murders of russian communists.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Thank you,this on top of my mom dying is quite a lot on the old heart.

She isn’t an idiot,she’s a smart woman and yet this has worked on her. Stupid,stupid me could understand how the Russians wanted to buy influence at the NRA,groom some to appear on Russia Today and make them Russophile and then send them back to US media,how they fuck with us here and push fragmentary movements everywhere. I just feel like a damn fool to not have seen what was happening under my nose,I was unaware that the influence was so strong and that she was internalizing these ideas so deeply. I simply did not think people who were ostensibly pro-freedom would so quickly side with Russia,I certainly didn’t think it was going to happen to her. This is like some kind of supernatural punishment but better it happen now than later.

The crazy thing is she detests,absolutely can not stand,Russian men. She’s gonna have to go find one or maybe a MAGA hat wearer 🤷🏼‍♂️

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

Damn, that's really shitty, especially on the heels of your loss of your mom. I genuinely hope things start looking up for you soon.

I really do wonder how this mass lack of critical thinking has taken hold. Critical thinking and common sense have always been in somewhat short supply but it really seems to have been slowly turned up to 11 in the last decade, bordering on some sort of mass psychosis. Psychology isn't my thing but this unraveling of our collective social fabric is quite scary, watching otherwise normal people around you go over the cliff so to speak. Thankfully I keep my real life social circle small and they've all been immune to it.

She isn’t an idiot,she’s a smart woman and yet this has worked on her. Stupid,stupid me could understand how the Russians wanted to buy influence at the NRA,groom some to appear on Russia Today and make them Russophile and then send them back to US media,how they fuck with us here and push fragmentary movements everywhere. I just feel like a damn fool to not have seen what was happening under my nose,I was unaware that the influence was so strong and that she was internalizing these ideas so deeply. I simply did not think people who were ostensibly pro-freedom would so quickly side with Russia,I certainly didn’t think it was going to happen to her. This is like some kind of supernatural punishment but better it happen now than later.

The crazy thing is she detests,absolutely can not stand,Russian men. She’s gonna have to go find one or maybe a MAGA hat wearer 🤷🏼‍♂️

As both of you know, I have posted dozens of times with details on the Kremlin operation to capture the hardcore conservative right and that it started around 2005. Now, there are dozens of popular conservative celebrities who are duped with an alternative view of political events for the past 20 years which reinforce/dovetail all current propaganda.  And, then there are the thousands of minor conservative wannabe websites which parrot all the BS from the others they wish to be. People gave me shit here because I kept bringing it up but now I think many see just how serious this is. The problem is that to recognize what is really going on one must be very well read (like books) in history and politics and the vast majority of conservatives are not other than websites with 500-word articles.

If we ever did go to war directly with Russia, don't be surprised if many of these so-called patriot websites wouldn't outright call for Americans to fight for Russia.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Oh look, the EU bureaucrats sold out, no one saw that coming.

• Bloc to offer firms options to pay without breaching sanctions
  • Russian flows through Ukraine were expected to fall Monday
The European Union's plan to offer energy firms a way to pay for Russian natural gas without breaching sanctions helped send prices lower for a second day as invoice deadlines loom.

Benchmark gas futures in the Netherlands fell as much as 5.5%, extending Friday's 9.2% drop. The European Commission is set to offer buyers new guidance on how to pay for gas, satisfying President Vladimir Putin's demands while avoiding a potential violation of sanctions imposed as a result of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Traders have been eagerly waiting for an update of the European guidance, with most payment deadlines due by the end of the month. Russia had asked companies to accept a new transaction method that would involve opening two accounts at Gazprombank, one in euros or dollars and another in rubles.

In the new guidance, the commission plans to tell companies they should make a clear statement that they consider obligations fulfilled once they pay in euros or dollars, in line with existing contracts, according to people familiar with the matter. The bloc could also cap gas prices if Russia cuts or significantly limits shipments, according to a draft of energy-market intervention measures seen by Bloomberg News.

Warmer-than-normal weather is adding to the downtrend in prices. Temperatures in Madrid are set to exceed 35 degrees Celsius (95 Fahrenheit), while Paris will top 30 degrees by end of this week, Maxar said in a report. Stronger wind power production expected in Germany next week is reducing the need for gas to generate electricity.

Meanwhile, vessels carrying liquefied natural gas continue to arrive, providing the continent with alternatives to supplies from Russia. At least 15 more tankers are expected to reach northwest Europe, including the UK, by the end of the month.

Russian gas flows crossing Ukraine were expected to be lower on Monday, based on orders. Last week, gas shipments to Europe via the route were curtailed after a key cross-border entry point was out of service because of troop activity on the ground. That's helped to limit losses.

Dutch front-month gas, the European benchmark, fell 3.5% to 93.54 euros per megawatt-hour by 12:27 p.m. in Amsterdam. German power for June followed gas, dropping 4.7%.

The equivalent gas contract in the UK, which is somewhat buffered from issues related to Russian supply, was 9.9% higher.
View Quote

European Gas Prices Fall as EU Drafts Plan for Russian Payments
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

New Lada/Technical/MRAP for Ivan...

I guess they had to do something rapid to replace the APCs getting smoked. Looks sorta like some of the South African stuff. Wonder if it will stop an RPG?
View Quote
That giant windshield won't stop an rpg
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:

They want that sweet sweet diesel fuel  
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

Damn, that's really shitty, especially on the heels of your loss of your mom. I genuinely hope things start looking up for you soon.

I really do wonder how this mass lack of critical thinking has taken hold. Critical thinking and common sense have always been in somewhat short supply but it really seems to have been slowly turned up to 11 in the last decade, bordering on some sort of mass psychosis. Psychology isn't my thing but this unraveling of our collective social fabric is quite scary, watching otherwise normal people around you go over the cliff so to speak. Thankfully I keep my real life social circle small and they've all been immune to it.

Don't take this as kicking you when you are down, as I sympathize with you and realize that losing someone over BS like that sucks. But, I think your (perhaps partly emotional) lumping all conservatives, and all "MAGA hat wearers", into the pro-Russian category is painting with a wide brush. Way too wide. Yes, there exists a segment of the right that are susceptible to all kinds of propaganda, for example the Q cult segment. These people will believe anything, especially if it aligns with a pre-conceived notion they have. But this does not describe all conservatives. Not even close. The percentage of conservatives who bought Russian propaganda is also small. Yes, they exist but they are not the majority. I'm an America First, small government, Constitutional conservative that voted for Trump twice (yes I know Trump is not really a conservative, voting is always a choice between two imperfect candidates). I'm against Russian imperial expansion. I'm not buying the Kremlin excuses and lies. I realize Russia has been an adversary to the US (and also to most of its neighbors) my entire life. So, there's no one-size-fits-all template for conservatives. I know far more people in my circles that share my views on this topic than the ones who parrot Russian talking points, although strangely those exist. The few I ran into that bought the Kremlin lies I try to convince them otherwise when given the opportunity. Some are willing to listen and a few are absolutely too far gone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

An agreement on the evacuation of wounded Ukrainian soldiers from the territory of the Azovstal metallurgical plant was reached with a humanitarian corridor being opened, the Russian Ministry of Defense reported.

"On May 16, as a result of negotiations with representatives of Ukrainian military personnel blocked on the territory of the Azovstal metallurgical plant in Mariupol, an agreement was reached on the evacuation of the wounded," the ministry said.

Wounded Ukrainian soldiers will be transported to a medical facility in Novoazovsk, Donetsk, which is controlled by Russian forces. Russia states the wounded "will be provided with all the necessary assistance."

Reuters could not immediately verify Ukraine's battlefield account and it was not clear how many troops had reached the Russian border and where.

If confirmed, it would suggest a Ukrainian counter-offensive is having increasing success in pushing back Russian forces in the northeast after Western military agencies said Moscow's offensive in the Donbas region had stalled.

On Monday, Ukrainian spokesman for General Staff of the Armed Forces Oleksandr Shtupun said that Russia was concentrating on preventing the Ukrainian military from reaching the border.

Ukraine's Defense Ministry said in a Facebook post that the 227th Battalion of the 127th Brigade of Ukraine's armed forces had reached the border with Russia, adding: "Together to victory!"

Kharkiv region governor Oleh Sinegubov wrote on the Telegram messaging app that troops of the 227th Battalion had restored a sign on the state border.
"We thank everyone who, risking their lives, liberates Ukraine from Russian invaders," Sinegubov said.

Shtupun warned that Russia was preparing for an offensive from the area of Izyum, based on the concentration of units there.

In Mariupol, "the main efforts of the occupiers focused on the blocking and damaging of our units in the area of the Azovstal plant," said Shtupun. He said the Russians continued to use artillery barrages and airstrikes to pummel the area.

In Kherson, the first major Ukrainian city to fall to Russia during the war, Russia claims to have achieved full control.

"The Kherson region is 100% under the protection and guard of the troops of the Russian Federation," deputy head of the military-civilian administration of the region Kirill Stremousov told Russian state media outlet TASS. However, he said that the city was still in range of Ukrainian artillery.

Russia on Monday said its forces had shot down three Ukrainian fighter jets, one near Snake Island in the Black Sea and the others in the Mykolaiv and Kharkiv regions, while its missiles continued to pound targets in the east of the country.

Russia's defense ministry said its forces shot down Su-25 aircraft near the settlements of Yevhenivka in the Mykolaiv region and Velyka Komyshuvakha in Kharkiv, and a Su-24 near Snake Island, which achieved worldwide fame in the conflict's first hours when Ukrainian border guards stationed there rejected a Russian warship's demand for their surrender.

Belarus deployed forces on its border with Ukraine earlier in the month, and have since been watched by Ukrainian forces with wary eyes.

"The presence of Belarusian forces near the border will likely fix Ukrainian troops, so they cannot deploy in support of operations in the Donbas," The UK Defense Ministry said in a Monday morning intelligence briefing. "Despite early speculation, to date Belarusian forces have not been directly involved in the conflict."

The Ukrainian military said on Monday that it had identified up to seven battalions stationed on the border. The Ukrainian military is monitoring the contingents.

"Belarusian territory was used as a staging post for Russia's initial advance on Kyiv and Chernihiv. Russia has also launched air sorties and missile strikes from Belarus," wrote the UK Defense Ministry.  "Belarusian President Lukashenko is likely balancing support for Russia's invasion with a desire to avoid direct military participation with the risk of Western sanctions, Ukrainian retaliation and possible dissatisfaction in the Belarusian military."

I suspect that’s the dozen or so patients that are septic and likely to die anyway.  Russia will encourage it, they’re going to a hospital in DPR.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Large portions on the right have been anti MIC for over a decade now it’s no longer a left right issue https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Biden-approves-US-ground-force-deployment-in-Somalia/5-2553107/?r=-1&page=1&anc=98677271#i98677271
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#45]
No Big Mac's for you!

• McDonald's said Monday it's quitting Russia after more than 30 years in the country.
  • The fast-food giant paused operations in Russia in March, shortly after the Ukraine invasion began.
  • McDonald's said it would sell to a local buyer and "de-arch" all its restaurants in Russia.

McDonald's is quitting Russia after 32 years in the country, citing the 'humanitarian crisis' caused by the Ukraine war
View All Quotes
No Big Mac's for you!

McDonald's announced Monday it's quitting Russia after 32 years in the country because its business there is "no longer tenable."

The fast food giant said: "The humanitarian crisis caused by the war in Ukraine, and the precipitating unpredictable operating environment, have led McDonald's to conclude that continued ownership of the business in Russia is no longer tenable, nor is it consistent with McDonald's values."

McDonald's opened its first restaurant in Russia in 1990, in Moscow. For many Russians, the opening of a McDonald's restaurant  synonymous with capitalism and American culture  symbolized the impending collapse of the Soviet Union.

McDonald's said Monday it will sell its Russian business to a local buyer and will "de-arch" all its restaurants in the country, meaning that the company's name, branding, menu, and logo can't be used.

Today, most McDonald's restaurants in Russia are company-operated, but more than 100 are owned by franchisees, and some have refused to close. It's a similar story with other Western fast-food chains, including Burger King, which said the operator of its 800 Russian restaurants "refused" to close them.

McDonald's CEO Chris Kempczinski said Monday: "We have a long history of establishing deep, local roots wherever the arches shine. We're exceptionally proud of the 62,000 employees who work in our restaurants, along with the hundreds of Russian suppliers who support our business, and our local franchisees. Their dedication and loyalty to McDonald's make today's announcement extremely difficult."

He added: "However, we have a commitment to our global community and must remain steadfast in our values. And our commitment to our values means that we can no longer keep the arches shining there."

McDonald's said it expected to record a non-cash charge of between $1.2 billion and $1.4 billion as a result of its Russia exit. It reaffirmed its prior 2022 financial outlook.

Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24 and on March 8, McDonald's announced it was temporarily closing restaurants and pausing operations in Russia.

The company said Monday it had initiated the process to sell its Russian operations and was "pursuing the sale of its entire portfolio of McDonald's restaurants in Russia to a local buyer."

The company added it was "seeking to ensure the employees of McDonald's Russia continue to be paid until the close of any transaction" and that "employees have future employment with any potential buyer."

In a message to Russian franchisees, seen by The New York Times, Kempczinski said leaving the country was "a complicated issue that's without precedent and with profound consequences."

McDonald's said in April it had lost around $100 million in wasted inventory after shutting its restaurants in Russia and Ukraine.

Russian news outlet RIA Novosti previously reported that a number of McDonald's restaurants that were owned by franchisees remained open despite the Ukraine war.

Should pay them to stay.
They prolly kill shitloads of Russians with that nasty shit they sell.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#46]
No Big Mac's for you!

View All Quotes
No Big Mac's for you!

McDowell's will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#47]
Russian media claiming Ukrainians blew something up “as a provocation”. Haven’t heard of any accusations recently.

Ukrainian special services blew up ammonium nitrate near Mazanovka in the DPR

Ukrainian special services staged an explosion of ammonium nitrate near Mazanovka in the DPR

MOSCOW, May 16 - RIA Novosti. Ukrainian special services blew up ammonium nitrate to accuse the Russian Armed Forces of using poisonous substances, the Russian Defense Ministry told reporters on Monday.
"The Kiev regime continues the practice of provocations to accuse the Russian armed forces of allegedly using poisonous substances. Today at 13:35 on a farm located one and a half kilometers north-west of the village of Mazanovka, the Ukrainian special services detonated a landmine laid in advance, reinforced with a lining up to one ton ammonium nitrate," the ministry said. They specified that as a result of the explosion, a poisonous cloud about 1 kilometer high was formed, which shifted towards the settlement of Kramatorsk .
The department recalled that on May 11, a similar provocation was carried out by the SBU in the area of ​​​​the settlement of Dolgenkoye, Kharkiv region . In order to accuse the Russian army of using chemical weapons, the SBU blew up a tanker with fertilizers, presumably with ammonium nitrate.
View Quote

Telegram link with video
https://t.me/bbbreaking/124969

Donetsk Governor
UPDATED AT 15:55

The concentration of chemicals in the area of the explosion is within the norm. The data has been set up by the experts.

The explosion in Kharkiv region is not a threat to the local population.

According to operational information, this afternoon a Russian missile hit a warehouse in Kharkiv region, where, according to preliminary information, ammonia seltra was stored.

Residents of northern Donetsk region saw a large pillar of smoke that could scare, but there is no reason for panic.

Ammonia celitra is not a dangerous chemical, and its highest concentration after the explosion is in a cloud reaching 200-500 meters from the epicenter. This explosion is not a threat to the population. Settlements of Donetsk region do not fall into the cloud distribution zone.
At this point, experts are already determining what damage has been caused to the environment. The situation is under control.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Pro-Russian stances has become the Right’s version of BLM.  It saddens me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Who bought Lockheed Martin stock, raise your hands.

May 16 (Reuters) - Lockheed Martin Corp has been awarded two contracts worth $309 million by the U.S. army for its Javelin missiles, the antitank weapon that has helped Ukraine fight Russia's invasion, the company said on Monday.

The Javelin missiles are made jointly by Lockheed and Raytheon Technologies' (RTX.N) missile unit.

Demand for Javelin missiles remains high as the war in Ukraine worsens, where they were used to stop Russian tanks from advancing on the capital, to an artillery battle in Ukraine's east.

So far, the United States has sent more then 5,500 Javelin systems to Ukraine.

The defense contractor added that the contracts include more than 1,300 Javelin missiles funded from the recent Ukraine Supplemental Appropriations Act and orders for several international customers including Norway, Albania, Latvia and Thailand.

Lockheed also said that it is working to increase its missile production rate beyond the current 2,100 per year.
View Quote

Lockheed Martin wins $309 million Javelin missile contract from U.S. army
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

@itchy-finger - hking is right.  When you correlate Russian leaks, intercepted comms, battlefield observations - it comes out very, very close.  This is not a modern Version of the US’s “Five O’clock follies” from the Vietnam war.  Ukr officials are well aware of a modern media and internet realities - lies get inevitably exposed and erode trust.  They aren’t committing credibility suicide like the Kremlin.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1957 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top