Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2267 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

Nu uh! Ukraine is only doing this thanks to their American overlords giving them intel! There's just no fucking way millions civilian people in Ukraine could be giving their army accurate and timely intelligence!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
The tips coming in to the Ukrainian army by people in the Khearson area is insane.

Nu uh! Ukraine is only doing this thanks to their American overlords giving them intel! There's just no fucking way millions civilian people in Ukraine could be giving their army accurate and timely intelligence!

lol, add the Intel from angry Ukrainian citizens with the Intel from an interested super power and NATO and there's probably problems on how to filter it all.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Digging a little, Northrop Grumman had a shipping container ground launched HARM display in 2018.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24111/northrop-grumman-shows-off-shipping-container-launched-anti-radiation-missile-concept

View All Quotes
Digging a little, Northrop Grumman had a shipping container ground launched HARM display in 2018.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24111/northrop-grumman-shows-off-shipping-container-launched-anti-radiation-missile-concept

The Association of the United States Army conference and expo is underway in Washington DC and our own Joe Trevithick was making the rounds around the show floor and spotted a very interesting concept from Northrop Grumman. It takes the increasingly popular containerized weapons trend and mixes it with the company's newest anti-radiation missile designs, the AARGM, which is the advanced AGM-88E version of the long-proven High-Speed Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM), and the longer-range AARGM-ER with its sleeker form factor. You can read all about that missile here. In essence, such a system could place enemy threat emitters at risk in a persistent manner anywhere within the range of launcher's missiles. And that containerized launcher could be located on a road or at sea, as well as in semi-fixed positions.

It wouldn't be a first.  The Talos SAM came in a HARM/SSM version that was launched from ships to target North Vietnamese radars ashore.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

If true this is a BIG deal
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Interesting....

Translation from Russian:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZkE1PPWYAA370y?format=jpg&name=large

If true this is a BIG deal

Absolutely, great find.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:

I'd rather see 25,000 on a pile.
View Quote

I’m not saying I agree, but…it just hasn’t been the same without you

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I've seen references to fundraisers on reddit. So that might be a place for you if you don't already. But the "karma" points can be a pain in the ass. I expect more social media the better for fundraising. Cast your net wide, and all that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

Thanks guys, only 500$ more needed to obtain integrated comms hearing protection/ptt for a US trained Ukrainian SOF unit in Ukraine.

I've seen references to fundraisers on reddit. So that might be a place for you if you don't already. But the "karma" points can be a pain in the ass. I expect more social media the better for fundraising. Cast your net wide, and all that.

Haven’t gone to Reddit yet but
Thanks two Cristopher and two others PTTs were just bought!!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The current poor state of communications in the LPR/DPR forces, interesting read.

https://wartranslated.com/lpr-volunteer-and-blogger-murz-describes-the-state-of-radio-comms-in-the-republics-as-apocalyptic/

View All Quotes
The current poor state of communications in the LPR/DPR forces, interesting read.

https://wartranslated.com/lpr-volunteer-and-blogger-murz-describes-the-state-of-radio-comms-in-the-republics-as-apocalyptic/

Here at WarTranslated we’ve covered the livejournal blog of an old-school “LPR” blogger and volunteer Murz (aka Andrey Morozov) on a number of occasions. Murz is an engineering guy who repairs and accumulates various communications equipment for the so-called Republic’s Army Corps, and has been involved in the process since early 2000s, way before the republics emerged in 2014.

His reports are often eye-opening as Murz doesn’t spare words to describe the real state of affairs in his blog. On 7 August, he published a post detailing the current situation with communication devices in the “LPR” forces. Mainly, he says that the essentials such as tank intercoms have run out, and existing radio stations that are being used come from the Soviet era, such as the R-123 tube radios.

We provide the translation of the post below:  

That guy is a great writer- that universal crusty veteran content in an articulate and hilarious package.

Things that the KTsPN brought before 2022 immediately became a drop in the ocean of “things urgently needed yesterday”.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By K0UA:
That is some "mighty fine" looking radio equipment there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Originally Posted By K0UA:
That is some "mighty fine" looking radio equipment there.

Replaced by devices such as Imax B6, but these Imax B6 still need to be bought and brought and people taught how to use them.

The Russians are using Imax battery chargers, for their radios?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell me my logic is flawed here.
We suspect Ukraine now have HARM. Something flies over Belgorod and the air defense system detects and launches. isn't that a good way to have those defenses catch a HARM?
Lets have some drones carry big sheets of mylar between them to give a large signature on RADAR and then waste said RADAR. lol
Srious about the first, not serious bout the second.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting....

Translation from Russian:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZkE1PPWYAA370y?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Interesting...

"Magnum, suka!"
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Evil_Chaos:
Lets have some drones carry big sheets of mylar between them to give a large signature on RADAR and then waste said RADAR. lol
View Quote

tow or mount a corner reflector - orcs seem to like those
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JTF:
The Russians are using Imax battery chargers, for their radios?
View Quote

The old radios also use batteries, and the soviet-era chargers they have for them are also broken?

Supposedly, they had some quantity of digital motorolas and Imax B6 chargers for those, but those were all blown up, or stolen and looted, and they have no more modern spread-spectrum military radios, and can't seem to scrounge up digital commercial motorolas, so have had to fall back on the soviet-era tube radios from the deep, deep bunker stores. And as the blogger writes - rather than stick them in a museum, they have to stick them in a tank or IFV and actually use them. And they're out of headphones and throat mics to equip the crews.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:30:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#15]
Originally Posted By Evil_Chaos:
Tell me my logic is flawed here.
We suspect Ukraine now have HARM. Something flies over Belgorod and the air defense system detects and launches. isn't that a good way to have those defenses catch a HARM?

View Quote

To answer your first question that's pretty much what you can do.  Bait them with a cheap drone, make them turn on their radars to track it, and lob harms at them in lock on after launch mode.  Profit!

Like Circuits said, imagine a small drone carrying an aluminum foil reflector on fishing line over 100 feet away.  The Sam missiles will go to the attractive reflector instead of the drone.  Your logic isn't flawed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Video in link.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#19]

LOL R-123's... Jesus. I got one of those to fuck around with years ago, I'd be amazed if it even worked.

Literally a CB radio would be better.

At least the R-159 is vaguely modern.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:49:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#21]
All bridges in Kherson hit again.

Big flash in Odessa.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Video in link.

View Quote

Have I been too deep in Ukrainian war news if I know without looking that Sumy is in the northeast?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Have I been too deep in Ukrainian war news if I know without looking that Sumy is in the northeast?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Video in link.

I can't believe how much I learned of the geography for this region as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:56:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#24]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
View Quote

What about all the reflectors? Can't be.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:59:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#25]

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#27]
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/does-ukraine-now-have-agm-88-high-speed-anti-radiation-missiles

it must be stressed that there is just as much a chance that this is another case of disinformation or misnformation, by mistake or by state-sponsored choice, as it is evidence that HARMs are on the battlefield in Ukraine. Regardless, its presence would make sense and would fit with increasingly advanced arms transfers from the U.S. and NATO to Kyiv. Above all else, it would put Russia's air defenses, which have largely operated with impunity minus the threat from drone and artillery strikes, under direct and persistant threat.

If HARMs are now on the ground in Ukraine, we probably we be seeing more of them soon.
View Quote

I was stoked to hear about anti-radiation missiles in the hands of Ukrainians! This is a good start, but with Iranian UAVs now entering the fray, hopefully Israel starts sending its own radar killing Harpy drones down range too

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I know the Brits retired their ARMs almost a decade ago, but with the HARM likely in theater.. makes me wonder if they'll refurbish some ALARMs and send them to Ukraine too:

ALARM has three main modes of operation, which depending on the type of carrier can be programmed before the flight or set on the suspension directly during the flight.

Direct attack is a tractional method of engaging the radar when the missile is launched on a pre-determined target and follows the most optimal trajectory.  Capturing the target PWGN missile is carried out on the suspension of the target designation from the equipment of the aircraft carrier or on the trajectory. The maximum firing range in direct attack mode of a pre-prospected target is about 93 km. Immediately before the target, the missile executes a slide and attacks the target from above. If the target is lost, the missile can be redirected to another radar.

The second mode is barrage mode. In the second mode, the missile is launched from a carrier plane flying at low altitude at a distance of up to 40 km from the target. The missile is launched in the absence of direct visibility of the radar target. After the launch, the rocket gains an altitude of up to 12 km, after which the engine is turned off and the parachute opens, with the help of which the missile can barrage for about two minutes. In the process of reducing the radar missile searches for working enemy radars. When capturing the target of the WGSN parachute shoots off and PRR, running the engine, diving to the target.

The third mode - a combined use mode. In this mode, the missile is launched in direct attack mode, with the loss of contact with the target PRR rises to altitude and goes into barrage mode.  This mode is used from high and medium altitudes of the launch vehicle and is optimal in case of action against mobile and marine air defense systems.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#29]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZlumoPX0AEVSrg?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

LOL nice, the missile's own blast showed the bridge supports pretty good. Guess those decoys are a waste of time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#31]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZlqUZUWAAAYuAP?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

Sp they took out the bridge but haven't hit the patoons. Has Russia thought that maybe UA has something planned for them?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Video in link.

View Quote

Maybe the same F-16 that fired that HARM is now plinking Sukhois with AMRAAMs?

Okay, okay, it probably wasn't an F-16 that fired the HARM, if a HARM was even used. And it was probably a Ukrainian Air Force operated SAM battery instead of an aircraft that shot down the Russian fighter. But still, it is fun to contemplate. And it is also a useful topic of discussion to fuck with the Russians mentally.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/does-ukraine-now-have-agm-88-high-speed-anti-radiation-missiles

I was stoked to hear about anti-radiation missiles in the hands of Ukrainians! This is a good start, but with Iranian UAVs now entering the fray, hopefully Israel starts sending its own radar killing Harpy drones down range too

https://www.deagel.com/library/md/2007/m02007062400133.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

it must be stressed that there is just as much a chance that this is another case of disinformation or misnformation, by mistake or by state-sponsored choice, as it is evidence that HARMs are on the battlefield in Ukraine. Regardless, its presence would make sense and would fit with increasingly advanced arms transfers from the U.S. and NATO to Kyiv. Above all else, it would put Russia's air defenses, which have largely operated with impunity minus the threat from drone and artillery strikes, under direct and persistant threat.

If HARMs are now on the ground in Ukraine, we probably we be seeing more of them soon.

https://www.deagel.com/library/md/2007/m02007062400133.jpg

I don't we can rely on Israel to send much of anything.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Now that China is good and pissed off at us, I think we can count on them to supply Russia with whatever they need. They may not be as advanced as Taiwan, but they're decades ahead of the garbage we've seen inside of Russian equipment so far.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:54:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#35]
Longer version of the T-90 video from a few days ago.  One crewman bails out after a significant length of time, driver still seems to be in burning tank.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

Now that China is good and pissed off at us, I think we can count on them to supply Russia with whatever they need. They may not be as advanced as Taiwan, but they're decades ahead of the garbage we've seen inside of Russian equipment so far.
View Quote

China might sell things to Russia but they won’t want to be caught doing it and they don’t benefit from Russia grinding it out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#37]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZlqUZUWAAAYuAP?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

Soon

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

China might sell things to Russia but they won’t want to be caught doing it and they don’t benefit from Russia grinding it out.
View Quote

Whether they benefit from Russia grinding it out depends on if what they supply could affect the war. If Russia sprouts a new airforce and an assload of ballistic missiles all of a sudden, Ukraine is in a whole new world of trouble.

After their Taiwan embarrasment they might not care about getting caught as much.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Whether they benefit from Russia grinding it out depends on if what they supply could affect the war. If Russia sprouts a new airforce and an assload of ballistic missiles all of a sudden, Ukraine is in a whole new world of trouble.

After their Taiwan embarrasment they might not care about getting caught as much.
View Quote

Russia can’t pay for modern things from China. Maybe spare parts, older tanks, obsolescent munitions…but they can’t afford new Chinese fighters because they couldn’t afford new Russian fighters…
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Russia can’t pay for modern things from China. Maybe spare parts, older tanks, obsolescent munitions…but they can’t afford new Chinese fighters because they couldn’t afford new Russian fighters…
View Quote

There's precedent for a lend-lease level of cooperation between Russia and the Chinese in a proxy war. China needs to stick their finger in our eye, and I'll be surprised if they don't.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#42]
China also wants to avoid western sanctions. We kinda have the Chicoms by the balls in that regard.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#43]

There's precedent for a lend-lease level of cooperation between Russia and the Chinese in a proxy war. China needs to stick their finger in our eye, and I'll be surprised if they don't.
View All Quotes

Just having neat toys doesn't give them the ability to employ them effectively.

If they suddenly show up with a bunch of J-20's you can bet your ass that The West will respond in a meaningful way.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

China is absurdly vulnerable to sanctions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:08:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#45]

View All Quotes

There is, but IMO you should look at the longer term/bigger picture.
Russia’s play for European conquest is a failure but for political reasons they’ve committed their army to be ground to hamburger in Ukraine.  Russia is headed for disaster and breakup.
The US has provided some important aid, but ultimately minor in the scheme of things.  The US is signaling China that we don’t even have to break a sweat to dispose of Russia.  Better yet, we’ve got someone doing it for us!
At the same time we take an unexpectedly hard stance on Taiwan.  Of course that’s going to rile up the Chinese.  But IMO our intention is to give them some assistance in reconsidering their interests.  The Taiwan objective is almost entirely about face and does little to nothing to improve China’s strategic position.  A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would also guarantee nuclearization of South Korea, Japan, and Australia/New Zealand.  China doesn’t want this.
By putting our foot down in front of Taiwan, China is being invited to look towards Russia for their strategic goals.  Land, energy, resources.  The Russian Far East has it all.  Russia is on the ropes, and if China helps Russia survive then the Russian Far East comes off the table.
China is being offered a consolation prize that’s better than their first choice.  In the long term the west’s challenge is to make sure they don’t ultimately collect that prize, or if they do it’s a poison pill.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Western companies retain the ability to remotely brick their fabs and chip design systems if they violate sanctions
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#47]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
China also wants to avoid western sanctions. We kinda have the Chicoms by the balls in that regard.
View Quote

They are definitely in trouble. Whether this year or last year, they've hit their peak. From now on their economy will only shrink. Shitty that they have been able to accumulate a lot of hardware during that time. Which is probably why they seem like they are on a hair trigger to attack Taiwan. They probably realize their window of opportunity for doing something on that island is very small.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Russia’s play for European conquest is a failure but for political reasons they’ve committed their army to be ground to hamburger in Ukraine.  Russia is headed for disaster and breakup.
The US has provided some important aid, but ultimately minor in the scheme of things.  The US is signaling China that we don’t even have to break a sweat to dispose of Russia.  Better yet, we’ve got someone doing it for us!
At the same time we take an unexpectedly hard stance on Taiwan.  Of course that’s going to rile up the Chinese.  But IMO our intention is to give them some assistance in reconsidering their interests.  The Taiwan objective is almost entirely about face and does little to nothing to improve China’s strategic position.  A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would also guarantee nuclearization of South Korea, Japan, and Australia/New Zealand.  China doesn’t want this.
By putting our foot down in front of Taiwan, China is being invited to look towards Russia for their strategic goals.  Land, energy, resources.  The Russian Far East has it all.  Russia is on the ropes, and if China helps Russia survive then the Russian Far East comes off the table.
China is being offered a consolation prize that’s better than their first choice.  In the long term the west’s challenge is to make sure they don’t ultimately collect that prize, or if they do it’s a poison pill.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:

This.

There is a much higher likelihood that China takes the Sakhalin island, than Taiwan.

The Russian army is going to be a shell of whatever it was formerly. Arrange some sort of “separation” vote. Claim it’s historical land from the time of Khan.

Suddenly China isn’t the worlds largest importer of petroleum products.

We blockaid China for 3 days. They run out of fuel. And their billion people starve.

How hand-to-mouth China lives on food and energy supply from other countries is amazing.

Let alone going broke. And the foreign investment flight out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

Haven’t gone to Reddit yet but
Thanks two Cristopher and two others PTTs were just bought!!!!
View Quote

Not everybody is good at everything, that's just the way it is. But it would be MASSIVELY helpful if every american who joins up with the Ukraine foreign legion was active in social media, posts pictures, and does fund raising to buy gear. Americans definitely will donate if they know about it. It's one of the things we are good at. "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." -Winston Churchill.

It seems like you are already well down that path, not even including your own personal contributions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By lokifox:

Just having neat toys doesn't give them the ability to employ them effectively.

If they suddenly show up with a bunch of J-20's you can bet your ass that The West will respond in a meaningful way.
View Quote

They're shitbags, but they're still human and able to adapt. Their surviving troops are vastly more experienced than the guys who started out. Now they have Iranian drones and even the fuckin Norks offering to send bodies.

China doesn't even have to hand out whole aircraft. They can get Russia's production lines running again on Iskander or Su34/35 or whatever they need most.  Hell, imagine the difference something as simple as a bunch of trucks and forklifts could make.

Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2267 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top