Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2286 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alaskanbred:

Except India, they just bought some long range bombers and S400 systems from them
View Quote

Against the Pakis and the same or worse Russian crap, meh.  

Against China?   That'll be interesting to see.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Must be rough being a die-hard propagandist.
I would’ve paid good money to see his personal reaction to the Crimea hit.
View Quote

I don't think you were going to get a comment out of that member on Putin or anything Russian. He was just hell bent on trolling and insults.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dracster:
" The Russian Foreign Ministry refused to allow Switzerland to represent the interests of Kyiv

The reason for the refusal, according to representatives of the Foreign Ministry, is the loss of neutral status by Switzerland after joining the sanctions against Russia."
View Quote

Russia is running out of countries that don't hate them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
" The Russian Foreign Ministry refused to allow Switzerland to represent the interests of Kyiv

The reason for the refusal, according to representatives of the Foreign Ministry, is the loss of neutral status by Switzerland after joining the sanctions against Russia."

I believe someone in this thread said "it's like a list of places you shouldn't drink the water".

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice Javelin kill on a Russian tank, drone gets close near the end.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#6]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

View Quote

Since there is more than one crew member but only the driver escapes, I'm assuming the rest are dead?

ETA: Would have been nice if the drone had been carrying an antipersonnel grenade and could have taken out the crewmember as he ran away.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

Since there is more than one crew member but only the driver escapes, I'm assuming the rest are dead?

ETA: Would have been nice if the drone had been carrying an antipersonnel grenade and could have taken out the crewmember as he ran away.
View All Quotes

Yea, smoke pouring out of the commanders hatch, gunner probably dead as well, fire at the rear in engine area.  Driver probably figured out he was alone.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:
Originally Posted By CB1:
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
. . . . Unlike the Russians, Ukrainians aren't fucking retarded. . . .
So much this.  

I've really tried my best to avoid getting overly propagandized into an overly rosy view of the Ukrainians efforts in this war.  I've tried to read Russian accounts, Russian Twitter feeds, and I even surf RT feeds occasionally.  I really do try to not just suck on the SLAVA UKRANI feeds - because I want a realistic view of the outcome of this war.

But as a human with basic common sense and enough tactical/strategic knowledge to play "Battleship" I'm constantly astounded by the sheer unmitigated incompetence of the Russian military.  I'm just flat out flabbergasted constantly by the amateurish and downright idiotic decisions made by their command staff.  At the pointy end, the actual execution of even the retarded plans of the RA General Staff are done in an entirely amateur and lackluster way.  I'm flat out amazed by what I'm seeing - even the folks on the pro-Russian side are in disbelief.

I grew up fearing the Sov/Russian soldier.  I thought they were 8 foot tall and bullet-proof.  And I'm pretty sure that the Red Army in the 80s was a formidable force that would have fought NATO tooth and claw and possibly even won.  But the Russians, with their endemic corruption and lack of even the most basic sort of intelligence, have taken that legacy and destroyed it forever.  

Now even Ida Amin level dictators are probably sitting in their mud huts watching TV thinking "Even my most ignorant toilet paper boy knows not to store the planes and the bombs in the same spot. What airdefense doing?  The Russians are so fucking stupid . . ."

This entire situation is so surreal that it makes me really start to think that maybe we *do* live in a simulation.  And the Russians are the AI enemies from Quake 1.

You really really had NOTHING to fear..I was in the Hun army doing my 6 month conscription back in 1991.
Most or all of anything remotely related to alcohol used in their various weapon systems was gone gone and depleted.

I helped do logistics for the war reserve and we inherited a shit ton of soviet equipment.

All of the maintenance supplies was gone and depleted and it wasn't taken back to Russia when they left.

They drank that shit..they stole that shit..
They raided that shit...
And then they replaced that shit with fake shit like those ERA plates we saw with egg cartons.

That was real...
I saw it in Hungary with the shit we got from the soviets.

TLDR and those with add...

Soviet forces were fucked in the 80s also...
NATO v. Warsaw would have been over quickly.
And this is my assessment serving in 2 armies.
so, the movie The Beast, where they depicted the guy drinking brake fluid was real?? holy fuck. That is worse than I imagined.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/drunk_russians_jpg-2484968.JPG

My old man was a tank driver during the Korea era, (Stationed at Ft. Knox).  He didn’t talk a lot about it, but had second hand stories from people back from overseas that Norks would filter fluids from their vehicles and drink them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
I know that date on that is recent, but I think I saw that one posted a few weeks ago as well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm still looking for a little more info on this one.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Asked a coworker who was in the Marines what he thought.

His answer is those two pictures are conclusive proof the USMC is operating in Ukraine.

The first pic is a hit from a marine rubbing one out. The second is from the marine wanting a snack afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

His answer is those two pictures are conclusive proof the USMC is operating in Ukraine.

The first pic is a hit from a marine rubbing one out. The second is from the marine wanting a snack afterwards.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By governmentman:

I have my doubts. I don't see a rubber mallet, an anvil, or any crayons.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Way to go little girl

For reference, she's selling them for basically a nickel.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Way to go little girl

For reference, she's selling them for basically a nickel.

Yeah the Girl Scouts empty my wallet every February when they set up Samoa and Thin Mint cookie ambushes out side of Lowes.

Every. February.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I wonder how our resident Swiss Putin puffer feels about this.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:

Yeah, I was just thinking about that, the Russians are about to lose a lot of market share.  Some because it will take them at least a decade to replace all their own blown up stuff, some because all the customers watched that stuff blowing up helplessly in HD.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/arms_exports_jpg-2485311.JPG

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Edit: couldn’t remember when I typed this which era we were talking about specifically. Comparing like era T-72 and M-60 they are a lot more alike than people want to admit. The big differences being advances in ammunition, thermals, fire control and armor.
View Quote

Isn't that essentially all the things that makes a tank a tank?  the stuff you shoot, the stuff you use to see your target, the stuff you use to hit the target and the stuff to protect you from your target.  What's the same?  The fuel they use and the tracks?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 1969iggy:

Isn't that essentially all the things that makes a tank a tank?  the stuff you shoot, the stuff you use to see your target, the stuff you use to hit the target and the stuff to protect you from your target.  What's the same?  The fuel they use and the tracks?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Edit: couldn't remember when I typed this which era we were talking about specifically. Comparing like era T-72 and M-60 they are a lot more alike than people want to admit. The big differences being advances in ammunition, thermals, fire control and armor.

I think you have a good point   hahaha
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]

An excerpt from the Rand publication Inside The Soviet Army In Afghanistan.
View Quote
Great read. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:13:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Scott] [#19]

View Quote

Mostly yes, except for ergonomics, reliability, maintainability etc. There’s a reason those things are upgraded, if your base design is good that’s where you can improve.

Point is, if you compare like years, the gap is closer than people think until the US got the Abrams and Europe the Leopard. That was the first time that the west was solidly ahead and gaining steadily with developing and fielding tanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#20]

First one might be anti material rifle?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:18:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jozsi] [#21]
Originally Posted By IllardSuggins:
Great read. Thanks OP.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IllardSuggins:

An excerpt from the Rand publication Inside The Soviet Army In Afghanistan.
Great read. Thanks OP.

I have that book and I can mark about 40 percent of it being very wrong in some places from my own experience in the Hungarian army. We had to clean up their mess from their old bases and setups. Maybe if were allowed to leave their closed isolated cities they created, maybe life would have been good or decent but even with open access to everything, their life was SHIT despite all of the luxuries, they had to pilfer, steal, raid, and switch stuff around.

for example, their nuclear and rocket forces...

https://sites.google.com/view/nuclear-weapons-in-hungary/table-of-contents

when they evacuated them, they created toxic spills everywhere it went.

Kiskunmajsa is still a super toxic wasteland in places as they just dumped rocket fuel into the ground.

The rockets and missiles were shit, the Hungarian attache attached to those units said that maybe 30 percent of them was combat ready, while the rest of poorly deficient and wouldn't be able to launch anything.

That is a continuing theme song played over and over again.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
Incase yall missed the meltdown of a bizarre commie lover last night..

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/F-Yo-Ukraine/5-2576400/?page=1
View Quote

Fuck that commie luvin piece of shit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#25]

My bad. It's an old article.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-29.gif

My bad. It's an old article.

Comes across as a little desperate...
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#26]
NO......I've changed my stance since the 90s and seeing the battle plans for 1979.

They would have still lost.

The fact that the Soviets wanted the entire Hungarian army occupying a nuclear ravaged Austria shows to me that a revolt would have happened ASAP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_to_the_River_Rhine
Not trying to side track..

I just feel that the Soviets weren't as powerful as people imagined it to be.

I once watched a Spetnatz unit come to Sopron and the Hungarian parachute training school. They were teaching all sorts of martial arts and all sorts of stuff, when our parachute master went against their top spetnatz honcho. Our guy kicked him in the balls, he went down and he pummeled him. All that stupid kung fu magic did nothing against a ball kick.

This was Summer 1990.
View Quote

Thanks Jozsi.  

We read and liked your earlier posts - especially the one about how quickly the Ukrainian children are learning Hungarian, and doing well in school (unlike the refugees, who mostly seem ungrateful and lazy).

You saw in person the incompetence of “the mighty Russian army” of the USSR,” during your Hungarian service.

My friend Vlad - now a naturalized US citizen who held a security clearance - was conscripted into the Russian army in the 70s. His rifle training consisted of firing just 3 (three) rounds of 7.62x39mm through a beat up old SKS.  He said the rest of the training was a joke too.  

I think we, the West, has vastly over-estimated the Russians for decades.

I am not persuaded by any of Putin’s claims about their new “Satan” hyper-sonic missile.  I doubt it works.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Thanks Jozsi.  

We read and liked your earlier posts - especially the one about how quickly the Ukrainian children are learning Hungarian, and doing well in school (unlike the refugees, who mostly seem ungrateful and lazy).

You saw in person the incompetence of “the mighty Russian army” of the USSR,” during your Hungarian service.

My friend Vlad - now a naturalized US citizen who held a security clearance - was conscripted into the Russian army in the 70s. His rifle training consisted of firing just 3 (three) rounds of 7.62x39mm through a beat up old SKS.  He said the rest of the training was a joke too.  

I am not persuaded by any of Putin’s claims about their new “Satan” hyper-sonic missile.  I doubt it works.
View Quote

The real question is... do THEY believe their own stuff works?

This whole exercise seems to indicate that they do... or at least did.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Same.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Waldo:
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
I know that date on that is recent, but I think I saw that one posted a few weeks ago as well.

Same.

I've seen so many by now I lose track.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:09:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#31]

What air defense doing?

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Regarding the 1970s and 1980s Russian military production and Iraqi "Monkey Model" tanks; there were a variety of protection packages that were done for Russian tanks:

1.) Russian/Soviet armor package -- high end, expensive "combination" armor of ceramics and steel.  (T-64 series, T-80 series, T-72A and T-72B)

2.) Warsaw Pact "Trusted" Armor Package - Moderately priced armor using fiberglass/composites/rubber and steel. (Czech/Polish/East German T-72M)

3.) Everyone Else Armor: Cheap armor using steel and if you were lucky, some rubber inserts. (Export T-72M for Arabs, etc)

Additionally, the Soviets were short of fire control components. They only had electronic digital fire control computers in the later T-80 modernizations; everything else had electronic analog fire control computers.

The Russians didn't even produce a thermal sight for their tanks, other than prototypes in the late 1980s for the T-80, while from the mid 1970s, NATO was putting thermal sights onto everything.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:14:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#33]

What air defense doing?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZ6HFoXX0AMG_M_?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

They'd run out of anti-sat missiles faster than we could replace the satellites.

If sats become fair game, they're fucked.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Apparently the USMC didn’t get thermals on M60s. Ever. Except some A3s from the Army in theater.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Thanks Jozsi.  

You saw in person the incompetence of "the mighty Russian army" of the USSR," during your Hungarian service.

I am not persuaded by any of Putin's claims about their new "Satan" hyper-sonic missile.  I doubt it works.
View All Quotes
NO......I've changed my stance since the 90s and seeing the battle plans for 1979.

They would have still lost.

The fact that the Soviets wanted the entire Hungarian army occupying a nuclear ravaged Austria shows to me that a revolt would have happened ASAP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_to_the_River_Rhine
Not trying to side track..

I just feel that the Soviets weren't as powerful as people imagined it to be.

I once watched a Spetnatz unit come to Sopron and the Hungarian parachute training school. They were teaching all sorts of martial arts and all sorts of stuff, when our parachute master went against their top spetnatz honcho. Our guy kicked him in the balls, he went down and he pummeled him. All that stupid kung fu magic did nothing against a ball kick.

This was Summer 1990.

Thanks Jozsi.  

You saw in person the incompetence of "the mighty Russian army" of the USSR," during your Hungarian service.

I am not persuaded by any of Putin's claims about their new "Satan" hyper-sonic missile.  I doubt it works.
The Satan works as good as Russia's electronics.  It's coming out they don't use MIL qualified components

Most everything electronic is purchased from other countries.  Electronics is currently embargoed. Don't expect much from a country with a GDP of Texas

Russia does have a vast amount of natural resources. Instead of improving the Russian people and economy, Putin goes to war
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#36]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

They'd run out of anti-sat missiles faster than we could replace the satellites.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

What air defense doing?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZ6HFoXX0AMG_M_?format=jpg&name=medium

Oh yes, they would be toast.

Guy is smart in the recorded call though, they are afraid of the American military.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

View All Quotes

It's kinda fun watching the people with Putin daddy issues choke on the cognitive dissonance.

Anyone else notice that the pussy Russians didn't kill a bunch of civilians after getting their ass handed to them? That's a new thing. Usually they target a bus station, a hospital, and an elementary school after a bloody nose.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

At this point, I have to wonder how many of the deployed RU gee-whiz electronics are a bunch of lights, switches, and displays hooked up to a super-cheap embedded SBC that makes everything look like it's "working." Build one or two that are functional for testing and then pocket the savings on all the rest.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By R0N:

There was a need for the Marine Corps to evolve its mission and there are some good things coming out of FD2030.  But I think the biggest problem has been the wargaming was not so much about developing a solution but instead it was more about making a pre-decided course of action work.  There also has been a large disconnect between what the visionaries see as potential future systems and capabilities and what the available, what is in development, and what it can be developed without great investment.  

The fires community was mostly ignored in the discussion on the way ahead because several of the theorist writing about what is needed were Artillery guys in their previous life (some not so well respected but they did have the MOS) so when the Arty Community sponsored its own wargames to determine their needs, they said ISR, Mounted Guns for mobility, loitering munitions and an ICM replacement.  Those findings were mostly shelved.
View Quote
In the end when something kicks off, the Marines will get artillery and tanks back. Then other vehicles will get more armor and more guns on them
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

It's kinda fun watching the people with Putin daddy issues choke on the cognitive dissonance.

Anyone else notice that the pussy Russians didn't kill a bunch of civilians after getting their ass handed to them? T
hat's a new thing. Usually they target a bus station, a hospital, and an elementary school after a bloody nose.
View Quote

Wondering about that. If it doesn’t happen soon, then either:

A) Running out of missiles, or
B) Toning down the war crimes in advance of having to face the consequences (e.g., Himmler late WWII, NV post- Ho Chi Minh)

Neither a good indicator for them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Except India, they just bought some long range bombers and S400 systems from them
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K0UA:
When this is over, Russia is not going to be able to give away a tank or air defense system to another prospective buyer country, let alone sell them any.

Buyer's remorse is a thing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Wow. That was a meltdown.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Illegible_Signature:

Buyer's remorse is a thing.
View Quote

Wonder if they paid for them yet?  :)
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

It’s been noted that the Russians are (at least sometimes) running 2-man tank crews due to lack of manpower.  There appeared to be a fire in the turret, so the second crewman is probably a goner.
I’ve thought for a while that Ukraine could benefit by stationing a Switchblade 300 along with a Javelin to kill crewmen bailing out of damaged tanks.  The crew are probably more valuable to Russia than the tank at this point.  Ukraine probably has far more Javelins than Switchblades though.  Maybe the Switchblade could be a battalion-level asset on call from multiple drone teams.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Capta:

It’s been noted that the Russians are (at least sometimes) running 2-man tank crews due to lack of manpower.  There appeared to be a fire in the turret, so the second crewman is probably a goner.
I’ve thought for a while that Ukraine could benefit by stationing a Switchblade 300 along with a Javelin to kill crewmen bailing out of damaged tanks.  The crew are probably more valuable to Russia than the tank at this point.  Ukraine probably has far more Javelins than Switchblades though.  Maybe the Switchblade could be a battalion-level asset on call from multiple drone teams.
View Quote

Sounds like another shooting sport I could get into.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

Sounds like another shooting sport I could get into.
View Quote

Pull!
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#47]
This is from that LPR/DPR radio repair guy that worked on putting tube radios into tanks recently because they are running out.  Today he explains why progress is so slow in the Donbas.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By K0UA:
Think about it: All Russia had to do was sell energy to western Europe, mine diamonds, gold and titanium and sell to the rest of the world, raise grain to sell. and continue to sell their crappy weapons systems to anyone that wanted them. and just rake in money and be a friendly with everyone. That is all they had to do to become rich and happy. Then came Feb. 24th, 2022 and pootey poot. just screwed up EVERYTHING. It was really that simple.
View Quote

Yup!  He could have negotiated access and basing leases for Crimea and just sat back and sold shit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
The Satan works as good as Russia's electronics.  It's coming out they don't use MIL qualified components

Most everything electronic is purchased from other countries.  Electronics is currently embargoed. Don't expect much from a country with a GDP of Texas

Russia does have a vast amount of natural resources. Instead of improving the Russian people and economy, Putin goes to war
View Quote

I feel sorry for many Russians.  Their country has a lot going for it, both culturally and naturally.  They could’ve had a bright future and a productive and friendly relationship with Europe.  But as a society they couldn’t let go of several hundred years of insecurity dealt with by aggression.  No one was going to invade them.  It’s a 19th century self-serving fantasy.  Now no one trusts them.  They’ve ruined their future and they deserve it for committing genocide in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
What was the record between M60a3s and T72s in Desert Storm. They went toe to toe under conditions that favored the Iraqis, and the outcome was definitive, the M60 was vastly superior, by about a 100 to 1 ratio.

View Quote

At that time, with the improved ammo, after the M 60 was discovered to cannot penetrate the T 72´s glacis in the 70´s!

Hermann
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2286 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top