Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2596 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

With what?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/23/us/politics/putin-ukraine.html

Putin taking even more control of the invasion
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

With what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

With what?

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:56:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLurker] [#4]

With what?
View All Quotes

With what?

Hopium

Edit. And rocks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

"New"?  I guess these guys never looked at....well, Russia's entire military history.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

View Quote
This is great news . . . Putin has zero real military background and will be just as successful as McNamara or Johnson.  Perfect!
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

That worked out well for Hitler.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Theyve literally been trying that in the east..
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

That will truly make things even better and smoother
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

As well as Saddam Hussein
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdWPemdXwAMbQsk?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

For some reason, what's written in small letters isn't translated. It says:

"However, in the future never expect Russia to liberate you.
Now you know what happens when someone is counting on foreign invaders".

Oh, it says "Time to go home" on the very top.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Russia can’t help but continually prove WHY it’s border countries are armed to the teeth.

It’s one thing to act like a complete asshole- it’s completely infuriating when you try playing the victim.

Of course the referendum is bullshit. And if you’re a true believer and want to be part of that goat fuck country then pack your shit and move there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sq40:
Wonder what would happen if all of the referendums failed for Putin?  Would that give him an out?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SkiShooter:

I am about  4 months and 2/3 of the way through Duolngo’s Ukrainian lessons. I am learning words and phrases and probably know enough to get by as a tourist. Learning the grammar has been a challenge. I am supplementing it with resources and podcasts through Ukrainian.Lessons.com. The opportunity to practice with native speakers is critical to becoming fluent.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

Thank you!  

Any other major city/oblast pronunciations that westerners get wrong?  I don’t want to misspeak again.

Ya Kharkiv. Same thing, K is silent. That’s about all I can think of. I’m sure someone else will chime in with some others.

Thank you.

Now I need to learn the alphabet.  

Hell, I might learn Ukrainian on one of those apps. It may come in handy one day.

Duolingo is a pretty good app.

I am about  4 months and 2/3 of the way through Duolngo’s Ukrainian lessons. I am learning words and phrases and probably know enough to get by as a tourist. Learning the grammar has been a challenge. I am supplementing it with resources and podcasts through Ukrainian.Lessons.com. The opportunity to practice with native speakers is critical to becoming fluent.

Good luck with that. I lived there and studies for two years before I became halfway proficient, another to become fluent. Still takes me two weeks to get it back after not using it. In Ukraine there will be a ton of slang or mixed Ukrainian/Russian. You have to go live there to learn it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:45:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#16]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

We all know that. He is just wondering what putin would do if somehow it went against him. IF putin wants out of this, it would be a great opportunity. But I think putin is only willing to win or burn the world if he can't have it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Is that a joke?  

The Russians determined the outcome of this referendum long before it ever began.  

There is no “referendum.”  It is a complete, total, 100% farce.

We all know that. He is just wondering what putin would do if somehow it went against him. IF putin wants out of this, it would be a great opportunity. But I think putin is only willing to win or burn the world if he can't have it.

OK, to answer the question seriously, no.
First, it would be essentially a full admission to the Russian public that the war against Ukraine all the way back to 2014 was hogwash.  The Russian public can (now) question the tactics, the preparation, and the competence of certain individuals, but they will NEVER be allowed to question the justifications for the war, which of course is the only important question.
Second, if he wanted to bail out via that method, he wouldn’t be mobilizing.  Mobilization will be a disaster, but Putin believes not mobilizing will be worse at least for his goals.  Mobilization is a massive escalation and not one that I would file under “escalate to de-escalate.”  The ramifications are too bad and long term.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Pellets will take out drones

They need an shotgun type ammo that ignites so many feet out
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

They only use small burst when hunting drones, 8 to 12 rounds, the BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT videos aren't showing the normal use of the Gepard.

And the Germans delivered more ammo earlier, 53k plus 4k training ammo.  

2,1k per vehicle with the latest delivery, not much but better than nothing.

The Swiss are blocking more ammo, the German Army had no more ammo because the Gepard was decommissioned years ago.

watch this video of Rhinemetal anti UAS drone system. this needs to be in Ukraine!  it shoots shells that explode pellets right in front of the drone or swarms of drones.

MATADOR DE DRONES (ENXAMES) Counter UAS - RheinMetall Oerlikon MK3 - GUN X DRONE REAL FIRE 23-06-21
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Trés riche.
View Quote

1%??? They have 30.000.000 reserves??? Doubt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:00:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#19]
Originally Posted By Capta:

First, it would be essentially a full admission to the Russian public that the war against Ukraine all the way back to 2014 was hogwash.  The Russian public can (no) question the tactics, the preparation, and the competence of certain individuals, but they will NEVER be allowed to question the justifications for the war, which of course is the only important question.
Second, if he wanted to bail out via that method, he wouldn’t be mobilizing.  Mobilization will be a disaster, but Putin believes not mobilizing will be worse at least for his goals.  Mobilization is a massive escalation and not one that I would file under “escalate to de-escalate.”  The ramifications are too bad and long term.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Is that a joke?  

The Russians determined the outcome of this referendum long before it ever began.  

There is no “referendum.”  It is a complete, total, 100% farce.

First, it would be essentially a full admission to the Russian public that the war against Ukraine all the way back to 2014 was hogwash.  The Russian public can (no) question the tactics, the preparation, and the competence of certain individuals, but they will NEVER be allowed to question the justifications for the war, which of course is the only important question.

The problem with the "Escalate to Deescalate" strategy is it can quickly spiral out of control if the other side doesn't respond in the desired fashion, or if the escalating party miscalculates.  The Cuban Missile Crisis, the Japanese takeover of French Indochina, the Serbian-sponsored assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, The Russian Czar's  mobilization against the Imperial Germans, and so forth.  Ultimately, things can end badly for one side (such as such as the USSR's partial backdown over Cuba and Khrushchev's  removal from power) or both sides  (WWI, The Pacific portion of WWII, etc).
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Developing pending corroboration.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I just watched the return of the POWs from Azov on Zolkins youtube channel. They said that they lost 20 to 25 kilos on average while in captivity and they look it. All were very skinny to almost gaunt.

Fortunately it seems that the women were treated much better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Hopefully they can get to the artillery and raise hell.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By wildturkey09:
I just watched the return of the POWs from Azov on Zolkins youtube channel. They said that they lost 20 to 25 kilos on average while in captivity and they look it. All were very skinny to almost gaunt.

Fortunately it seems that the women were treated much better.
View Quote

They may have actually been fed but I'd be surprised if they were actually treated better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

watch this video of Rhinemetal anti UAS drone system. this needs to be in Ukraine!  it shoots shells that explode pellets right in front of the drone or swarms of drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2irqTXikg
View All Quotes

They only use small burst when hunting drones, 8 to 12 rounds, the BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT videos aren't showing the normal use of the Gepard.

The Swiss are blocking more ammo, the German Army had no more ammo because the Gepard was decommissioned years ago.

It took out what looks like static UAVs sitting in one location.  Some room for improvement

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#25]
It took out what looks like static UAVs sitting in one location.  Some room for improvement

View All Quotes

In a 38 minute video no one will watch.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#26]

I'd really like to know what the plan is. Ukraine is chewing up russian troops. If putin gets the idea he is going to lose this, he is going to launch a tactical nuke on the battlefield. Then what? Biden has issued a very stern warning. What could we possibly do to russia now without actually shooting at them with american forces? If we do that, it's war. Are we ready to get into an actual war with russia after they have proven they will use nukes? I'm sure everybody is hoping somebody inside russia is going to remove or kill him. Or russia will revolt. We better not depend on that. People already said putin would not use national mobilization. He's doing it while calling it something else. And the second he made the announcement, agents with lists were going door to door handing out notices for people to show up.
View All Quotes

I don't think that Biden decides anything. He is doing what he is getting told.

I'd really like to know what the plan is. Ukraine is chewing up russian troops. If putin gets the idea he is going to lose this, he is going to launch a tactical nuke on the battlefield. Then what? Biden has issued a very stern warning. What could we possibly do to russia now without actually shooting at them with american forces? If we do that, it's war. Are we ready to get into an actual war with russia after they have proven they will use nukes? I'm sure everybody is hoping somebody inside russia is going to remove or kill him. Or russia will revolt. We better not depend on that. People already said putin would not use national mobilization. He's doing it while calling it something else. And the second he made the announcement, agents with lists were going door to door handing out notices for people to show up.

I think the answer to this question from the west’s perspective is “what is next?”
Let’s say Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine.  IMO, most likely it will be multiple, possibly including population centers.  A “demonstration” nuke will almost certainly not produce any results against the Ukrainian will to fight, so why bother?  No, they will try to blow holes in the Ukrainian army, and destroy the infrastructure (including cities) necessary to bring in western supplies.  I’ve said before that we already had indications that the Ukrainian army is in a nuclear defensive posture - i.e. dispersed as much as possible.  So this won’t be a case of dropping a nuke on a brigade or two and being done with it.  It would probably take a dozen tactical nukes to have the desired effect on a sector of the line.
Point is, having demonstrated the will to win at any cost in Ukraine - what next for Russia?  Can there be any doubt whatsoever in the West that Putin will do the same against the Baltics?  Poland?  Finland?  If Russia goes nuclear it is IMMEDIATELY an existential issue for Europe.  Not a new cold war.  Not a “lets see how this plays out.”
The question that should be asked is not “how will the west respond” but “will the west give Russia that chance?”
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:

That wuld be good, but they may be going for the rail tracks. That’s a railhead and an axis of advance that puts them astride the main route supplying the Southern and Western front.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

He bet he could take Ukraine in a week, he lost. So he doubled down. Then doubled down again. I really do think at this point he is a poker player on tilt. He has to win it all back, he has to. I think for him admitting he lost and facing the music back home would be a lot worse than launching a nuke in the hopes of winning.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

That wuld be good, but they may be going for the rail tracks. That's a railhead and an axis of advance that puts them astride the main route supplying the Southern and Western front.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/8BDEAD90-2CAC-4C4E-B90A-33CAF61F52E3_jpe-2537072.JPG
View Quote
That would be good
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

That wuld be good, but they may be going for the rail tracks. That’s a railhead and an axis of advance that puts them astride the main route supplying the Southern and Western front.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/8BDEAD90-2CAC-4C4E-B90A-33CAF61F52E3_jpe-2537072.JPG
View Quote

Is it plausible that the entire reason the russians bought the Iranian loitering suicide drones was specifically to find and destroy the himars?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

In May?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Kagetora:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kagetora:

the first 3 mins is all you need to watch.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:40:39 AM EDT
[#33]

I think the answer to this question from the west’s perspective is “what is next?”
Let’s say Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine.  IMO, most likely it will be multiple, possibly including population centers.  A “demonstration” nuke will almost certainly not produce any results against the Ukrainian will to fight, so why bother?  No, they will try to blow holes in the Ukrainian army, and destroy the infrastructure (including cities) necessary to bring in western supplies.  I’ve said before that we already had indications that the Ukrainian army is in a nuclear defensive posture - i.e. dispersed as much as possible.  So this won’t be a case of dropping a nuke on a brigade or two and being done with it.  It would probably take a dozen tactical nukes to have the desired effect on a sector of the line.
Point is, having demonstrated the will to win at any cost in Ukraine - what next for Russia?  Can there be any doubt whatsoever in the West that Putin will do the same against the Baltics?  Poland?  Finland?  If Russia goes nuclear it is IMMEDIATELY an existential issue for Europe.  Not a new cold war.  Not a “lets see how this plays out.”
The question that should be asked is not “how will the west respond” but “will the west give Russia that chance?”
View All Quotes

The use of a nuclear bluff to scare the west appears at this point to be a non-issue in terms of dissuading the west from supplying Ukraine with arms and keeping the sanctions on Russia. If Russia uses a nuke at all in Ukraine, that immediately changes the calculus from a blustering bluff to an immediate nuclear threat to NATO. Once that genie is let out of the bottle, it can't be put back in. NATO won't give Russia the chance to do that again because they know that an attack on NATO is a foregone conclusion once a nuclear weapon, even a tactical one, is used anywhere in Europe.

Further, the Russian economy is in freefall and can't support a war effort much longer. If Putin thinks Russia is going to collapse or he is going to take a dirt nap, he may very well think it's time to go out with a bang. NATO knows that once it looks like he's going to go out in a blaze (no glory, just a blaze), they have to launch.

There has been speculation that the US or a western country has an asset very high up in Putin's inner circle. Most likely between "regular" ISR that monitors their nuclear posture and locations of their mobile nuclear forces and the asset's intel, NATO will know very quickly if something is up. It's also possible that the "asset" somebody in the west has would be in a position to put a bullet in Putin's forehead should Putin decide to try to bring about WW3 or at a minimum would be in a position to start a successful coup.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

Good luck with that. I lived there and studies for two years before I became halfway proficient, another to become fluent. Still takes me two weeks to get it back after not using it. In Ukraine there will be a ton of slang or mixed Ukrainian/Russian. You have to go live there to learn it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

Thank you!  

Any other major city/oblast pronunciations that westerners get wrong?  I don’t want to misspeak again.

Ya Kharkiv. Same thing, K is silent. That’s about all I can think of. I’m sure someone else will chime in with some others.

Thank you.

Now I need to learn the alphabet.  

Hell, I might learn Ukrainian on one of those apps. It may come in handy one day.

Duolingo is a pretty good app.

Yep, I understand that. Hoping to be able to spend time in Ukraine to do that in the future. My grandparents from both sides of my family are from there and I want to visit there where they lived.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:50:32 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

I’ve been lusting after Rhinemetals creations for years hoping one day to see them in use in a theater of war.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Good assessment.  Regardless of the hand wringing by the Neville Chamberlain types, even a single act of nuclear aggression by Russia could not go unanswered.  And it's more likely to be multiples, which will guarantee a response.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By grambosc:

Good assessment.  Regardless of the hand wringing by the Neville Chamberlain types, even a single act of nuclear aggression by Russia could not go unanswered.  And it's more likely to be multiples, which will guarantee a response.
View Quote

People keep using this word. I don't know what you can do to somebody who has just proven they will launch nukes, unless you nuke them first. You can't do something to somebody who just launched a nuke and expect they won't launch a nuke at you. Or a half dozen nukes at you. They just nuked somebody.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 4:07:01 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

AHEAD ammo, in 35 mm for Oerlikon guns. Which principally is the gun system of the Gepard.

Hermann

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 4:09:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

I smell bullshit.

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/italy/cuba?sc=XE34

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DPeacher:
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

Italy has a per capita GDP slightly lower than Cuba. Turn off the EU money spigot and that tard won't have a paycheck.

I smell bullshit.

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/italy/cuba?sc=XE34

Because it is. ruSSia has the economic power of italy, Cuba is a dwarf.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 4:34:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#40]

People keep using this word. I don't know what you can do to somebody who has just proven they will launch nukes, unless you nuke them first. You can't do something to somebody who just launched a nuke and expect they won't launch a nuke at you. Or a half dozen nukes at you. They just nuked somebody.
View Quote

They just nuked a non-nuclear somebody. Bullies think differently when someone can hit back.

But honestly, it may not even require a reaction. Global outrage would cut off Russia in a heartbeat. It’s moving that way anyway. Their own territories would likely start seceding - what’s Moscow going to do, nuke Vladivostock?  The Russian far east would split off rapidly, for a start, I bet.

Using a nuke would end Russia as it now as a political entity.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:07:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Perspective on nuke usage starts about 3:25:

Russia's threats 'don't add up' | Justin Bronk

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Wtf? Russia issuing large black bags with their uniforms to the newly conscripted victims.

Is the idea to save on the logistics by issuing everyone with their own bodybag?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Alex9661:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alex9661:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdWPemdXwAMbQsk?format=jpg&name=large

I don't understand what all of that means in context.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#44]

A few days back someone was joking about new orc conscripts being issued rusty rifles.... Looks like that is already the accepted approach.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

Google the phrase "EU PIGS"
You can buy houses throughout Italy for one shiny euro... people left because the place sucks, and their birthrate is non-existent.
Literally half the houses are vacant and have been owned by the state for years.
View Quote

Please stop posting when you have zero clue what you are talking about, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Those Russian girls be cold and calculating, yo...
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQVrcaBfsCw

Emotional Goodbyes Across Russia As Ukraine Mobilization Begins

As hardcore pro-Ukrainian I have been all of my life, this is sad to watch what Putin is doing to Russian families. I hope the fucker gets it like Mussolini did. And soon.
View Quote

I hope none of them comes back. Ends 6 feet deep in Ukrainian soil or deserts the second they can and never goes back to that shithole ruSSia.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#48]

I’ve been lusting after Rhinemetals creations for years hoping one day to see them in use in a theater of war.
View All Quotes

Would be awesome to see!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

Those Russian girls be cold and calculating, yo...
View Quote

cant let a chance at a new car go to waste! hahahahaha
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#50]

With what?
View All Quotes

With what?

With finely crafted trebuchet, made from stronk Siberian pine.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2596 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top