Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2819 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
Some tweets about Starlink. $20m/month is rough.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Very creative story you have there.

But no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PM4E:

Meh, the timeline makes sense to me:

1. Elon donates the Starlink, gets a lot of love and praise online
2. Love and praise dying down, so he makes the "peace proposal" - dude thought people would see him as a genius
3. Elon's ego got bruised yet again, so now he wants the money from the Pentagon
4. Pentagon leaks the money request.

In the end, the $20M is pennies and sure, the US should pay him if the service is working out for Ukraine.

But if the whole world was like, "holy shit, Elon's peace proposal involving giving up land to Russia is genius.. why hasn't anyone thought of this??" like he was expecting, we wouldn't be at this stage.

Very creative story you have there.

But no.

Spot the lie. You can't. Elon didn't care about the money until his ego got bruised.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:27:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#3]
Looks like an assisted aiming thermal sight with laser rangefinder and ballistic computer to let you know where rounds will hit.  Also export compatible restricted framerate.

Ukrainian sniper making 1.2km shots at Russian forces.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/y3y72h/a_ukrainian_sniper_engaging_a_russian_infantry/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

As critical as I am about Musk (including his closeness with Russia in the past) and being 100% on Ukraine's side, I agree that he should be paid for his Starlink service.
View All Quotes

As critical as I am about Musk (including his closeness with Russia in the past) and being 100% on Ukraine's side, I agree that he should be paid for his Starlink service.

Back in April
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/04/08/us-quietly-paying-millions-send-starlink-terminals-ukraine-contrary-spacexs-claims/
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't hate the guy but I'm pretty upset Elon proposed throwing Taiwan under the bus too. Possibly to get a better deal with making his cars in China.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:37:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#7]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

Back in April
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/04/08/us-quietly-paying-millions-send-starlink-terminals-ukraine-contrary-spacexs-claims/
View All Quotes

Back in April

That was debunked. IIRC, they paid for some additional terminals in addition to what SpaceX sent.

ETA I don't want to slide the thread anymore

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 7empest:

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon

The right has just as many mentally ill stupid motherfuckers as the left does.
View Quote
You should have your crack legal team hold a press conference in front of a landscaping company to explain these views  
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
I can't hate the guy but I'm pretty upset Elon proposed throwing Taiwan under the bus too. Possibly to get a better deal with making his cars in China.
View Quote

For many, it makes decision making  easy to simply throw morality under the bus for self serving interests.  

People should be paid fairly for their services they provide, but allowing Communism to spread and subjugate people for ones own personal gain is morally bankrupt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Looks like an assisted aiming thermal sight with laser rangefinder and ballistic computer to let you know where rounds will hit.  Also export compatible restricted framerate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/y3y72h/a_ukrainian_sniper_engaging_a_russian_infantry/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
View Quote
Damn, good work on the snipers part...I mean...that's so sad, those invaders probably didn't want to be there.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I am really curious as to why he tried to promote such a heavily Russian biased peace plan
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

Please. What exact power does Russia have over elon musk.

They’ve been enemies with spacex for 20 years and Spacex and musk has absolutely dunked on them over and over in the last 7 years.

I am really curious as to why he tried to promote such a heavily Russian biased peace plan

I agree.  

Russians / FSB are master of deceptive, unethical, and shady practices.

“Kompromat” - or compromising information - is one of the FSB’s favorite weapons to coerce targets.

The “kompromat” can be real, or fabricated.  

Imagine the FSB managed to locate a recording of Musk saying a racist word, or a comment that could be construed as racist? (he is, after all, born and raised in South Africa, so it’s not implausible).  

Imagine the FSB fabricated the recording (does not matter either way), it would:

- potentially sink Tesla’s sales in the US and Europe, costing him billions.

What if the FSB located (or fabricated) evidence of an affair by Musk?  

Point is: there are many ways the FSB could have gotten to Musk.  

I also find his recent comments quite odd, and implausible.  

But FSB blackmail?  That makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#16]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Damn, good work on the snipers part...I mean...that's so sad, those invaders probably didn't want to be there.
View All Quotes

Facinating to see though.  It reminds me of the old Tracking Point aiming system tested years ago.

Next Level Shit: Insane Accuracy at Tracking Point

Or Smart Shooter.
This high-tech rifle sight pulls the trigger for you | GearScout
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Assuming there's still a Russia by then.
View Quote

Fixed?

In current form anyway
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Fixed?

In current form anyway
View All Quotes

Fixed?

In current form anyway

Fast forward to May 2023 when Russia blows the Kerch Bridge to stop Ukraine's advance.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#19]

And if any of the left over ordnance is rigged to explode inside of the tank or artillery piece? That would be my concern.
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfCg8y_XkAEpcoC?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfChBRFXEAE_DJN?format=jpg&name=900x900

And if any of the left over ordnance is rigged to explode inside of the tank or artillery piece? That would be my concern.

Eldest Son has been mentioned time and again in this thread. There's no way Russia could pull that off without blowing up their own under trained conscripts on a regular basis. Boobytrap crates and rooms, yes; individual rounds to blow up when used, not very likely. Heck, they barely have the logistics capability to supply beans and bullets to their own troops.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:01:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stgdz] [#20]

Facinating to see though.  It reminds me of the old Tracking Point aiming system tested years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0oGZ4TZr5k

Or Smart Shooter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndBgiTsIRWI
View All Quotes

Or Smart Shooter.

And at what point do the ukranians figure out how to put that rifle setup on a stugna-p aiming system/chassis.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

I agree.  

“Kompromat” - or compromising information - is one of the FSB’s favorite weapons to coerce targets.

Imagine the FSB managed to locate a recording of Musk saying a racist word, or a comment that could be construed as racist? (he is, after all, born and raised in South Africa, so it’s not implausible).  

Imagine the FSB fabricated the recording (does not matter either way), it would:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

Please. What exact power does Russia have over elon musk.

They’ve been enemies with spacex for 20 years and Spacex and musk has absolutely dunked on them over and over in the last 7 years.

I agree.  

Musk used to work closely with Russia and purchased rocket motors from them I believe. He isn't well versed in Ukrainian history at all (or the history of our Bill of Rights either, 2A especially). Could always be blackmail or he could just be trying to play both sides to look smart (the rich and famous have a habit of developing a savior complex to feed their egos). He may be a genius on high tech but he and others who idolize him probably feel he is brilliant on everything- he is not. Most of America is ignorant of our own history let alone the history of Ukraine so to them Musk sounds reasonable when he says that Ukraine should give up land to end the war (which it wouldn't).
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:08:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#23]

And at what point do the ukranians figure out how to put that rifle setup on a stugna-p aiming system/chassis.
View All Quotes

Or Smart Shooter.

lol, you don't need to.  The Stugna uses a rangfinding laser and a laser riding guided round.  The systems I showed basically allow dumb rifle caliber rounds to have a higher chance to hit.  Guided atoms are another animal altogether.

Now put that rifle and sight in a remote station, with a video feed, it could be done.  We did it alot for remote gun mounts for armored vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

This smells like bullshit. A quick check confirms it’s bullshit. Yep, it’s bullshit.

Frankly, it’s difficult to accept that folks could believe it to be true if they took 2 minutes to look at WHO is posting this story all over. And to give it a moment of critical thought. But here we are.  

View Quote

It's discouraging to see so many falling for these fake stories who should have been reasonably expected to see through them.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Given that a Stugna-P is a "powered/guided" system, a ballistic computer doesn't make much sense for it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#26]

I agree.  

View Quote

Like others have mentioned his actions are very much Pro-Ukraine. I bet when this is over Starlink will be credited as a major factor. Russia is completely failing at comms and Ukraine isn't.

But to come out and say "Give Russia everything they want, ignore all the damages and losses you've taken and be left vulnerable" doesn't seem to match what he's done.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Fixed?

In current form anyway
View All Quotes

Fixed?

In current form anyway

That date, in the context of their other usually completely unreasonable demands, is pretty good confirmation that the bridge is every bit as fucked as we thought.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Lol what?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/2003B86C-A169-4FC1-87B9-20D13F595A55-2562455.jpg

Let me guess, you read the tweet but nothing else?
View Quote

How did they leave Dan Rather out of that line up?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#32]
The canal to Crimea branches off in Nova Kakhovka. I've seen in stated incorrectly on here many times.

Nova Kakhovka is going to be much easier to liberate than Kherson, comparatively.
View Quote

Nova Kakhovka is smaller than Cherson, but it´s behind the Dnipro ( Sp? ).

So it´s attacking over a bridge, and there´s a dam, too!

Hermann
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#33]
View Quote

Well, there go the last of the semi-accurate Russian sources.

Semi-accurate may be generous, but you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Musk used to work closely with Russia and purchased rocket motors from them I believe. He isn't well versed in Ukrainian history at all (or the history of our Bill of Rights either, 2A especially). Could always be blackmail or he could just be trying to play both sides to look smart (the rich and famous have a habit of developing a savior complex to feed their egos). He may be a genius on high tech but he and others who idolize him probably feel he is brilliant on everything- he is not. Most of America is ignorant of our own history let alone the history of Ukraine so to them Musk sounds reasonable when he says that Ukraine should give up land to end the war (which it wouldn't).
View Quote
the F9 exists because Russia wouldnt sell him a Soyuz. SpaceX exists because they told him to fuck off..lol.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Damn, that sounded wicked. Those guys have zero tactical sense. No wonder they are getting their asses handed to them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#38]

There is actually an Iranian/Persian DNA connection to Ukrainians. A large nomadic Iranian tribe settled in many parts of Ukraine called the Sythians. More info here: http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/display.asp?linkpath=pages%5CS%5CC%5CScythians.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythians
View Quote

I was wondering why I see so many passably Latina appearing women from there.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

lol, they were an interesting source of info at times.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Ukranians are nailing their power supply in order to disrupt the russian logistics? Is that probably it?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Ukranians are nailing their power supply in order to disrupt the russian logistics? Is that probably it?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Probably

Definitely sounded like something coming in, not partisan activity, but actual strike outside Ukrainian territory.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

I can safely criticize anyone from my couch with Cheetos and hot pockets
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Damn, that sounded wicked. Those guys have zero tactical sense. No wonder they are getting their asses handed to them.
View Quote

Was that some kind of airburst? It looked like they got hit with a shotgun from above.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

That's pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Gunner is lucky he didn’t canoe that dudes head.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:42:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stone-age] [#48]

View Quote

That's a talented shooter with some great gear..

Edited to add people are saying it's the Accuracy International system. That's about as good as it gets. I'm curious what round is being shot but I doubt anybody knows.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By grambosc:

It's discouraging to see so many falling for these fake stories who should have been reasonably expected to see through them.  
View Quote

Have you not been reading Arf the past few years?

Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2819 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top