Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2997 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of the Vehicles Captured by Ukraine in Kherson
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:

That brave lady has no fear whatsoever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:
Originally Posted By Goodn:
Originally Posted By stgdz:
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
When the Russians came were there civilians on the streets welcoming them? The Ukrainian forces are being met by misty eyed grannies wanting to adopt and feed them, men and women lining up to hug and take pictures with them.

Those Russians in hiding won't last long, they will be reported if they are lucky, they will be executed and left in the street for the dogs if they aren't. A guerrilla campaign only works with the strong support of the local population, I doubt the Russians have that in Kherson.

I can’t remember the city but I think it was Kherson where the Russians were met with protests and townsfolk telling them in Russian that they weren’t being oppressed and there were no Nazis.
 And who can forget the bababushka that told the Russian soldier to fill his pockets with sunflower seeds so at least his corpse could do some good?

I recall the videos of Kherson when they invaded, and of course the ukranians did the most ukranians thing and told them

"go fuck yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L17Bi7zBJHI

That brave lady has no fear whatsoever.

That was a pretty prophetic conversation, hopefully they followed her advice.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:56:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PMB1086] [#3]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Not a lot of news comes out of there. It was quiet for a while, Donetsk gets all the attention.

It's not great, I'm sure.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/Luhansk_PNG-2597208.png

View Quote

Thanks. It seems weird it is reported on so little. Most of what I find on twitter is clearly Russian propaganda and usually in Spanish for some reason.
I’m sure there has been stuff posted here since but the last thing I remember was the S-300 complex getting hit in early July.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Or they do that with the main dam? They were designed at the same time to work together, and of the canal pics I have reviewed, it is pretty high-banked. There is also a control station in northern Crimea. It is a pump complex that lifts the water so it flows further south to Simferopol and Kerch. So it can also be used to control the level.

The dam and canal are considered together as one of the official “Great Construction Projects of Communism” (yawn). That means I guess it got a postage stamp and onto this list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Construction_Projects_of_Communism
View Quote

Really. That's all they got?

However, on one the sub-links (at least you know we pay attention to you, Jack) this was wild (and I had never heard of it):

In 1971, at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna, the Soviets disclosed information about earthworks on the route of the Pechora–Kama Canal using detonations of three 15-kiloton nuclear devices spaced 165 metres (540 ft) apart, claiming negligible radioactive fallout.[1] However, no further construction work, nuclear or otherwise, was conducted on that canal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Stugna wipes out entire column. A lot of armor

https://t.me/horevica/7568

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Some greet ZSU with hugs and flowers, others with ammo

https://t.me/uniannet/79826
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By vahog:

OK. I read it as he wanted to dry up the reservoir, but the same thing applies in reverse.

Where do you put all the new water while you are waiting for the downstream water to run out? It's all going to require some math.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

He wants to shut off the flow. let the river downstream of the dam dry up, and then cross when it freezes.

OK. I read it as he wanted to dry up the reservoir, but the same thing applies in reverse.

Where do you put all the new water while you are waiting for the downstream water to run out? It's all going to require some math.

Musk’s new Prufrock TBM can excavate a mile a week.  Get one of those bad boys in there and just go under the Dnipro.

“Surprise motherfucka!”
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Russia has two 23mm cartridges in service, one that is comparable mostly to our 20mm and another that’s closer to a 25mm, but both are mostly just aircraft and antiaircraft calibers. I suspect they chose 23mm because the first cartridge was a necked up 14.5x114mm and that probably gave them the shoulder and ballistics they wanted. They also have their 30mm which falls between our 25 and 30mm in performance.

Of all the Soviet/Russian calibers the only one I’m jealous of is 14.5x114mm and we would have done well to adopt either it, or the Air Forces .60 caliber or the FN 15.2mm that are similar. It’s a sweet spot of size and performance.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
That thing is a beast.

Any SME opinions on the Russian 23mm? Why 23mm? Dont they have a 25mm or only 30MM?

Any caliber decision is always a tradeoff between projectile size/capability and ammo supply, and resources consumed. If a 23mm will get the job done, then going to 25mm usually is contraindicated, because it consumes more resources for little or no improvement in performance, and at a cost of the amount of ammunition that can be produced and transported in the same volume and at the same cost in freight tonnage or fuel.

The Russians decided on 23mm as their anti-aircraft cannon round of choice, and also use that round in their basic aircraft cannon, while the US/West decided on 20mm and for much the same reasons in both aircraft cannon and basic air defense.

For whatever reason, the US/West like to go in increments of 5mm - so 20/25/30/35/40, while the combloc wasn't so hung up on round numbers, or perhaps had good operational reasons to select 23mm instead of 20 or 25.

Russia has two 23mm cartridges in service, one that is comparable mostly to our 20mm and another that’s closer to a 25mm, but both are mostly just aircraft and antiaircraft calibers. I suspect they chose 23mm because the first cartridge was a necked up 14.5x114mm and that probably gave them the shoulder and ballistics they wanted. They also have their 30mm which falls between our 25 and 30mm in performance.

Of all the Soviet/Russian calibers the only one I’m jealous of is 14.5x114mm and we would have done well to adopt either it, or the Air Forces .60 caliber or the FN 15.2mm that are similar. It’s a sweet spot of size and performance.

According the William’s books “Rapid Fire” and “Auto-cannons”.  The first fielded was the larger variant as a ground attack round because 20mm rounds could not penetrate 25mm of armor at 400m. They first started with 37mm in the 1930s and trial and error found 23mm as the minimum to meet the requirement.  The smaller air-air round was fielded nearer to the end of WWII.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
As this threat goes towards the 3000 pages and the Russians have been kicked out of Kherson I would like to thank the news updaters/analists,  
@AlmightyTallest
@Prime
@Fadesun
@ARokie
@M35ben
@Ryan_Scott
@Ryan_Ruck
@Joszi
@Eastener
@CPT_CAVEMAN
And any others I forgot

for making this the single best and most comprehensive news/analisis source in this war.

Unlike what parts of GD think this war wil be pretty much defining for the world for a long time and it's of the utmost importance that Russia is not allowed to get away with their actions because of the consequensea that will entail not only for Ukraine.

It's been a weird time were (I was genuinly supprised by this) 'conservative gun owners' would prefere to be aligned with Russia, NORKs, Iran, Syria, Zimbawe, commie Cuba, Venezuela ect. over the US and Western world. Most of the time the argumets don't even make sense in a 'having logical thought pattern' type way or are just repeated from know Russian sources as ghospel.

Anyway I'l give a round of applause for the above posters who brought the bad and the good news over the last 3k pages    

View Quote

Thanks iggy1337, we appreciate your contributions and perspectives as well. I like when a lurker that almost never posts comes out of nowhere and gives info that helps clarify a situation for the others in a thread like this.   That's why I love this place.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RunnngCircles:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#12]

And it isn’t controlled in Nova Kakhovka, either. It’s controlled by a dam in Kalanchak, ~40 miles due south. They built it there in 2014 to cut the canal’s flow to Crimea, but not hinder it in southern Kherson Ob.

Ukr will have to:
-capture Nova Kakhovka dam and city, on the left bank.
-establish a secure bridgehead on the left bank of sufficient depth to allow engineers to build a new dam.
- defend that bridgehead on a 180 degree front, with the canal bisecting the bridgehead.
-the canal origin is about a mile or so from the existing dam, in the southern most corner of the reservoir.

This isn’t going to be easy or very quick.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

That isn't controlled in Kherson. It starts in Nova Kakhovka (East of the dam) and runs South, all in RU controlled territory.

And it isn’t controlled in Nova Kakhovka, either. It’s controlled by a dam in Kalanchak, ~40 miles due south. They built it there in 2014 to cut the canal’s flow to Crimea, but not hinder it in southern Kherson Ob.

Ukr will have to:
-capture Nova Kakhovka dam and city, on the left bank.
-establish a secure bridgehead on the left bank of sufficient depth to allow engineers to build a new dam.
- defend that bridgehead on a 180 degree front, with the canal bisecting the bridgehead.
-the canal origin is about a mile or so from the existing dam, in the southern most corner of the reservoir.

This isn’t going to be easy or very quick.

Ah- got it.  That is indeed a MUCH tougher lift.

So: forget everything I said about Kherson cutting off water to the Crim.  The Orcs occupying the Crim will have plenty of water for a while longer, sadly.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sq40:

Musk’s new Prufrock TBM can excavate a mile a week.  Get one of those bad boys in there and just go under the Dnipro.

“Surprise motherfucka!”
View Quote

Think ahead. Send two so if the Russians hear it and dig a counter-tunnel, we can dig a counter-counter-tunnel and intercept it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Bahahahaha that's awesome
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#15]
">10 KIA".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhSXGogWYAUF0CV?format=jpg&name=large

View Quote

Fuckin Russia starved those boys.   Such bullshit.  I can't believe Russia is still part of the U.N... it's time to kick this 3rd world garbage out
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PMB1086:
View Quote

Now that's some big news to me!

I hope they got the radar sets too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#17]

“Surprise motherfucka!”
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

He wants to shut off the flow. let the river downstream of the dam dry up, and then cross when it freezes.

“Surprise motherfucka!”

that made me chuckle.

Totally forgot about his boring company! And hey, they got starlink like this….

We need one of those in Baltimore for more harbor tunnels. I’d say in Pittsburgh too but I think the city couldn’t handle a higher commuter delivery rate. Well maybe if you’re not going downtown. But I digress…
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

The dissonant attempt at music is as terrible as the video is outstanding.

10/10 with the sound off

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

View All Quotes

I believe another twitter user had pictures posted but I'm not sure if they got the radar too. I'll try to find the post.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#22]

10/10 with the sound off

View All Quotes

10/10 with the sound off

lol, for decades after this is over there's going to be dedicated teams of people restoring the videos by removing the music.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#23]

I believe another twitter user had pictures posted but I'm not sure if they got the radar too. I'll try to find the post.
View All Quotes

Thanks for that, if you can find the photos I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:28:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#24]
Footage in Tweet.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Best video today.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#26]
1 hr ago.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

No, its a good idea.

You open the gates up a little to get the reservoir down.  Right before an attack you stop the flow completely. The river dries up; if it gets down to a foot or two the infantry could walk across and they could get combat power across, say in a night attack, without needing boats.

You'd still need to lay on bridges but its not a bad idea. As anotehr poster said, I dont know if its environmentally possible; youd have to look at the watershed and where the water comes from.

The only flaw is if the Russians have the ability to destroy the dam with airpower while you plan on walking across.  Then you have this sort of "Force 10 from Navarone" remake.  It would be less risky to use boats as the primary but that's a hair away from suicidal.

Im not gonna lie, I just. dont. see it. That river has an Omaha Beach/Pickett's charge vibe to me.  I think its no mans land.

Dnieper river near Kherson

Looking west toward Kherson
View Quote

Just dry the river up, wow that’s a big order. 20 years ago we dewattered a large oxbow lake ( that was red river) so they could modify the spill gate. They drained it in September and the following August you still couldn’t drive anything bigger than an ATV on it. Don’t believe me, just ask all the local rednecks that tried it with there jacked up 4x4 trucks. Farmers were constantly pulling people out all summer long. Everyone wanted to to be the first to drive across.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I was hoping they could hit this asap before they could leave.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:36:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#30]

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#32]
4 videos in Tweet.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#33]

However, on one the sub-links (at least you know we pay attention to you, Jack) this was wild (and I had never heard of it):

In 1971, at a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna, the Soviets disclosed information about earthworks on the route of the Pechora–Kama Canal using detonations of three 15-kiloton nuclear devices spaced 165 metres (540 ft) apart, claiming negligible radioactive fallout.[1] However, no further construction work, nuclear or otherwise, was conducted on that canal.
View All Quotes

Or they do that with the main dam? They were designed at the same time to work together, and of the canal pics I have reviewed, it is pretty high-banked. There is also a control station in northern Crimea. It is a pump complex that lifts the water so it flows further south to Simferopol and Kerch. So it can also be used to control the level.

The dam and canal are considered together as one of the official “Great Construction Projects of Communism” (yawn). That means I guess it got a postage stamp and onto this list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Construction_Projects_of_Communism

We (the US) had plans to bypass the Suez Canal by using 500+ nukes to blast a new canal through Israel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Sniper Dubbed 'Ukrainian Joan Of Arc' Shares What Saved Her Life
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

I heard a rumor that the Soviets used to see what caliber we made and make theirs a hair larger so they could (try) to fire our captured ammo if necessary. (Ignoring the issue of pressures)
View Quote

I have heard similar rumors when I was in the Army but that sounds silly now (mostly). But the Russians seem to have been trying to be just a little bit different, probably out of Russian pride. We have our 81mm mortar, they have the 82 (hypothetically they could use our ammo but we could not use theirs?) We have the 155mm they have the 152...
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Precision attacks on Russian vehicles, some I haven't seen as of yet.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Russians had a stockpile of mines to deploy… until Mr. DJI showed up…

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/yt4sgp/perhaps_the_bravest_mavik_during_a_combat_mission/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Big bada boom
View Quote

Right next to their dugouts too.  Too bad we didn't get the aftermath images, that drone was tumbling lol.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Best video today.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Best video today.

That has to be one of my favorites from the entire ordeal. Fucking outstanding.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:54:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PMB1086] [#42]

View All Quotes

both are from the comments on the tweet I posted, the best I could find regarding pictures. Not sure on the validity of either sources. I think the photos I saw earlier were closer, I could be mistaken though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

The HE explosive rounds are basically big bullets, and not super streamlined.

But the 25-35mm APFDS rounds are firing tungsten or uranium flechettes, which is basically 'All the BC.'

Autocannon APFDS are ludicrous ballistics.

25mm = 98g tungsten flechette @ 4560fps

https://www.gd-ots.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/25mm_tungsten.png
View Quote

I bet that would go clean through a WWII tank, even a Tiger!
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#44]

both are from the comments on the tweet I posted, the best I could find regarding pictures. Not sure on the validity of either sources. I think the photos I saw earlier were closer, I could be mistaken though.
View All Quotes

I guess they ran out of thermite grenades too or never had them to begin with

Letting the enemy keep your equipment must be part of Russian SOP these days. Hopefully these S-300s are the newer variety!
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

The HE explosive rounds are basically big bullets, and not super streamlined.

But the 25-35mm APFDS rounds are firing tungsten or uranium flechettes, which is basically 'All the BC.'

Autocannon APFDS are ludicrous ballistics.

25mm = 98g tungsten flechette @ 4560fps

https://www.gd-ots.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/25mm_tungsten.png

Side and back, probably not frontal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

That’s some badass, I like how they had indirect and small arms on the guys too so they wouldn’t realize the source of their demise. They likely thought troops were fighting them down the road, not the two stugna teams 2k away on another hill.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By hrt4me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1NeHt4bFDA
View Quote

Greatest generation folks. Greatest generation
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#48]

Dugin is literally calling for a populist commisar and dictatorship. It’s not vague or an illusion.

The “Soviet Russia was just imperialist Russia…” concept is getting a little overcooked. It’s very useful and in some areas applicable, but not across the board. There were genuine and sincere efforts to end absolute authoritarianism and a long line of men fought that corner seriously -and many losing their lives to Stalin n the process.  Notably Kamenev, Trotsky, and Zinoviev.

I also immediately felt this was a dagger aimed directly at Putin, a blatant call to arms against him - personally motivated or sincerely public, we don’t know clearly but it could be either, or both. Regrettably, way too late this hour to engage in this deeply enough.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:

Given his overt politics I disagree.  Dugin is identifying himself as a literal Nazi - a national socialist, or an economic socialist where the nation-state (Russia) is supreme, with a traditional absolute monarch in the tsarist form.
The rhetoric (if not always the reality) of communism and the USSR was internationalist and universalist, although i will be the first to say that in most cases this was rhetoric and not reality.  Communism in the USSR was always Russian Imperialism by another name.  Universalism was a useful concept for communist advances overseas.
It’s actually a very interesting public statement and worthy of examination by smarter people than me.  Dugin combines some truly ancient political ideas with - IMO - a revenge play for his daughter’s death.  There are some interesting parallels between Dugin’s antiquarian fascism and the antiquarian movements that were a part of the rise of fascism in Germany - romanticizing the distant teutonic past to justify national socialism in the present.
Dugina was (IMO) an FSB plot with Putin’s blessing.  Dugin, who is an academic with no real power, can only hope that a true believer in his brand of Russian fascist ideology will obey his implied command.  I don't think its a totally ridiculous assumption.  Russia is in a catastrophic situation entirely due to Putin’s stupidity, and Putin’s self-serving propaganda aside, many inside Russia must know this.  Hence the threat - absolute power, absolute responsibility.

Dugin is literally calling for a populist commisar and dictatorship. It’s not vague or an illusion.

The “Soviet Russia was just imperialist Russia…” concept is getting a little overcooked. It’s very useful and in some areas applicable, but not across the board. There were genuine and sincere efforts to end absolute authoritarianism and a long line of men fought that corner seriously -and many losing their lives to Stalin n the process.  Notably Kamenev, Trotsky, and Zinoviev.

I also immediately felt this was a dagger aimed directly at Putin, a blatant call to arms against him - personally motivated or sincerely public, we don’t know clearly but it could be either, or both. Regrettably, way too late this hour to engage in this deeply enough.

Agree.

Dugin is appealing to the prevailing Russian psyche, which longs for the “safety” of a strongman who can allay the innate Russian paranoia.

Notice how many Russians still hang images of Stalin?

It will take more than mere regime change to correct this attitude.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#49]

I have heard similar rumors when I was in the Army but that sounds silly now (mostly). But the Russians seem to have been trying to be just a little bit different, probably out of Russian pride. We have our 81mm mortar, they have the 82 (hypothetically they could use our ammo but we could not use theirs?) We have the 155mm they have the 152...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

I heard a rumor that the Soviets used to see what caliber we made and make theirs a hair larger so they could (try) to fire our captured ammo if necessary. (Ignoring the issue of pressures)

Exactly! Going back to increasing less nuanced times, it was a decently pragmatic clever Soviet style idea… details like pressures and crew safety were afterthoughts.  I heard this from an army scientist that worked on stuff from the 60-till today (that’s right, he’s in his 80’s and still working.)
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#50]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhS7CvTXkAEZq4k?format=jpg&name=900x900

View Quote

Finally, we are seeing the faces of the hero's. I never understood all the masks and blurred faces. Not everyone is an SBU operative or DevGru on "vacation" in Ukraine. You are liberating your own country so feel proud to show your faces! The Russian war criminals should be the ones hiding their ugly mugs.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2997 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top