Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3291 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
We'll see if this gets legs fast with the British offer of Challenger 2.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Personally, I do not believe the actual T-62s and T-72s which are physically present in Ukraine right now, will stay in the fight for long after receiving a burst of 25mm fire from a Ukrainian Bradley.  If nothing else, the exterior view ports and sensors on a T-72 will be quickly scrubbed off if hit by a Bradley’s 25mm.  More distant Russian tanks face the TOW.

As for doubts about setting things on fire, it’s not classified as to what DU does if it manages to penetrate: it becomes a potent incendiary.
View Quote

And we can hope they have the sense to send the M919 DU rounds and not the inferior M791 tungsten rounds.  Reports from Desert Storm with the M791 were that it was not effective on heavy armor like the M919.

GD (the one with the toys) has a new M919-style tungsten round that has not been adopted (?).  Finned long rod like the M919, and a smokin’ V - 4,560fps (1,390mps).

https://www.gd-ots.com/munitions/medium-caliber-ammunition/25mm-tungsten-apfsds-t/
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]

That mortar-round drop video is fascinating.

Notice how the stretcher-bearers take 2 or 3 steps right after the detonation?  

It is almost like the chicken who continues to run even after it’s been decapitated.

More likely:  the leg bones were not shattered or broken by the point-blank blast, and the leg muscles momentarily still functioned, as did the brain and CNS.  

But within 3 seconds, the front 2 soldiers collapsed.

Blood loss?  Shock?  

Every mortar man should watch that video.
View Quote

I rewatched that shit like 4 times because what you see on that video does not compute.

Dead man walking…
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
25 min ago.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

I rewatched that shit like 4 times because what you see on that video does not compute.

Dead man walking…
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It is almost like the chicken who continues to run even after it’s been decapitated.

More likely:  the leg bones were not shattered or broken by the point-blank blast, and the leg muscles momentarily still functioned, as did the brain and CNS.  

Blood loss?  Shock?  

Dead man walking…

Now I am wondering if those guys just didn't get startled and trip over themselves.  Front left guys goes down, but seems to be getting up near end of the video.  Doesn't seem to be nursing any wounds.  Front right guy walks off screen, suggesting he isn't really hurt.    

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
How is an M777 Howitzer Aimed?
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By general_cluster:

Now I am wondering if those guys just didn't get startled and trip over themselves.  Front left guys goes down, but seems to be getting up near end of the video.  Doesn't seem to be nursing any wounds.  Front right guy walks off screen, suggesting he isn't really hurt.    

View Quote

I’m curious how effective a lot of these drone-dropped munitions are. I mean, they must have to be pretty light. A lot of videos with direct or near-direct hits, with orcs moving around after. Who knows for how long though…
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Dead man walking
View Quote

It was almost like a Looney Tunes thing. Like the Coyote doesn't fall for a couple seconds after going over the cliff.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:16:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: general_cluster] [#10]
Originally Posted By OBird:

I’m curious how effective a lot of these drone-dropped munitions are. I mean, they must have to be pretty light. A lot of videos with direct or near-direct hits, with orcs moving around after. Who knows for how long though…
View All Quotes

Obviously hard for us to say from the comfort of our blue screens.  seems like they might be impact rather than airburst, which might be degrading performance.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

View Quote
I get it

The US ships 50 BFVs and UA might see 1 arrive
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#12]

It is almost like the chicken who continues to run even after it's been decapitated.

Blood loss?  Shock?  

View Quote

Impact fuse hitting at close range. The frag pattern that close will still be very close to the ground. Most of the hits were probably to the lower legs
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes

these seem nifty

It takes only 30 seconds to stop and prepare for firing. Out of action time is also as short as 30 second

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Marketing stunt.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
I get it

View Quote

Yeah, it'd be totally easy for somebody to sell M2 ODS Bradleys on the black market. Totally wouldn't raise any eyebrows or get any authority's attention.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I get it

View All Quotes

I get it

lol, if that is what helps them to sleep at night.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#17]
translated video.

View Quote
I'd like to see the firearms the prisoners are supplied with.  Probably broken shit or they would fight back when returning
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#18]

these seem nifty

View All Quotes

these seem nifty

It takes only 30 seconds to stop and prepare for firing. Out of action time is also as short as 30 second

All the clues for maneuver warfare with rapid reaction long range fires.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Did I miss some news about the Brits sending over Challenger 2's to Ukraine? I know this thread moves fast
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

I don't think you're  supposed to hit a cas evac. But with everything Russia has done to Ukrainians under their occupation..... Fuck 'em.

It made me laugh.
View All Quotes
Brutal.

I don't think you're  supposed to hit a cas evac. But with everything Russia has done to Ukrainians under their occupation..... Fuck 'em.

It made me laugh.
Now the originally wounded RU has to help with the stretcher
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Did I miss some news about the Brits sending over Challenger 2's to Ukraine? I know this thread moves fast
View Quote

They're considering it, but nothing concrete yet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

They are saying they are *thinking about* sending 10.

Whole point is to break the ice and shame Germany or the US into doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#24]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

Latest word is Britain is going forward by the end of this week, Poland offering 10 Leopards as well, plus the US doing training of 500 Ukrainian troops on maneuver warfare in Europe each month.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Yeah, it'd be totally easy for somebody to sell M2 ODS Bradleys on the black market. Totally wouldn't raise any eyebrows or get any authority's attention.
View All Quotes
I get it

Considering that, in Europe, they pretty much have to be moved long-distance by rail or water, and the Ukrainian seaports are mostly closed, smuggling them out would be a tad difficult
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Capta:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
9 min ago.

Part 2 video.

If you tell me you're a pipe hitter, this
Is what I think you do.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

And we can hope they have the sense to send the M919 DU rounds and not the inferior M791 tungsten rounds.  Reports from Desert Storm with the M791 were that it was not effective on heavy armor like the M919.

GD (the one with the toys) has a new M919-style tungsten round that has not been adopted (?).  Finned long rod like the M919, and a smokin' V - 4,560fps (1,390mps).

https://www.gd-ots.com/munitions/medium-caliber-ammunition/25mm-tungsten-apfsds-t/
View All Quotes

Personally, I do not believe the actual T-62s and T-72s which are physically present in Ukraine right now, will stay in the fight for long after receiving a burst of 25mm fire from a Ukrainian Bradley.  If nothing else, the exterior view ports and sensors on a T-72 will be quickly scrubbed off if hit by a Bradley's 25mm.  More distant Russian tanks face the TOW.

As for doubts about setting things on fire, it's not classified as to what DU does if it manages to penetrate: it becomes a potent incendiary.

GD (the one with the toys) has a new M919-style tungsten round that has not been adopted (?).  Finned long rod like the M919, and a smokin' V - 4,560fps (1,390mps).

I would fire and the running gear and engine deck, to stop it, maybe try to disable the turret, then let the infantry kill it.  That is of course TOW use was not practical.
in 1986, that is what I was taught as a M2A0 gunner.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

That makes me happy, but keep in mind that the new supply is MUCH more expensive than before.
View All Quotes

That makes me happy, but keep in mind that the new supply is MUCH more expensive than before.

This will get buried in this thread fast, BUT, if you wanted a global energy thread I can chime in.

New supplies will go down when it's in a non-emergency situation, such as over the next 9-12 months.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Not nearly as expensive as being chummy
with Russia  could be.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#32]
"Ukraine soldier says cold weather helps track Russian movements north of Bakhmut
View Quote

Ukraine soldier says cold weather helps track Russian movements north of Bakhmut
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#34]
We'll see if this gets legs fast with the British offer of Challenger 2.

View Quote

Poland I believe U.K. I’m inclined to believe but I doubt most of Europe will emulate Poland’s example. But I’m only half lucid, taking pain pills waiting for this leg to heal. So my posts might be full retard
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#36]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
We should be buying that system for our own use.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:38:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#38]

View All Quotes

What was dropped is very clearly a mortar munition or mortar bomb.

It’s possible is was a U.S.  60mm bom for the M224 system.

I checked the Russian production (current) and the smallest they currently field appears to be the 82mm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_infantry_mortars

However, my guess is an 82mm mention would have had a more drastic, immediate and devastating effect on those men (but I could be wrong).

As for other Ukr drone-dropped munitions, the most typical seems to be the modified Russian 30mm VOG-17 grenade made for their belt fed full auto launcher.

Next would maybe either a standard Russian hand grenade or maybe the modified US 40mm launcher grenade.

Subjectively, the Russian 30mm munition seems to have an immediate and horrible effect on the Orcs, with a surprisingly large injury radius for such a small diameter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CB1:
I would fire and the running gear and engine deck, to stop it, maybe try to disable the turret, then let the infantry kill it.  That is of course TOW use was not practical.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CB1:

Personally, I do not believe the actual T-62s and T-72s which are physically present in Ukraine right now, will stay in the fight for long after receiving a burst of 25mm fire from a Ukrainian Bradley.  If nothing else, the exterior view ports and sensors on a T-72 will be quickly scrubbed off if hit by a Bradley's 25mm.  More distant Russian tanks face the TOW.

As for doubts about setting things on fire, it's not classified as to what DU does if it manages to penetrate: it becomes a potent incendiary.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Far more than 50 Bradleys headed over?  That makes me happy.

As far as the ACTUAL performance/ armor penetration of the 25mm DU rounds?

- that is classified information.

Which leaves us to speculate.  But we have some anecdotal evidence:

- take another look at the quotes Jack67 took the time to post in the middle of page 3288.

Personally, I do not believe the actual T-62s and T-72s which are physically present in Ukraine right now, will stay in the fight for long after receiving a burst of 25mm fire from a Ukrainian Bradley.  If nothing else, the exterior view ports and sensors on a T-72 will be quickly scrubbed off if hit by a Bradley’s 25mm.  More distant Russian tanks face the TOW.

As for doubts about setting things on fire, it’s not classified as to what DU does if it manages to penetrate: it becomes a potent incendiary.

Only time will tell for sure.  I believe the 50+ Bradleys will eventually be game changers, negating nearly all of Russia’s armor.
View Quote

There’s a mathematical formula for calculating roughly the penetration depth of an APFSDS projectile and it says 93mm. There are very few places on the front of a T-72 that would fall victim to that and the gun isn’t accurate enough to stack rounds in the same place except at extremely close range. Now, are they sawing through armor with long bursts at 50m? Maybe. But that doesn’t scale. Only a small percentage of enemy armor is going to let you do that without killing you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Somebody posted some stuff about them a while back. I know exactly nothing about these rascals, whether they’re good or they suck… but they are neat looking.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#42]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZlxDFRQ0KQ
View Quote

That's pretty badass  
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:01:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#43]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

There’s a mathematical formula for calculating roughly the penetration depth of an APFSDS projectile and it says 93mm. There are very few places on the front of a T-72 that would fall victim to that and the gun isn’t accurate enough to stack rounds in the same place except at extremely close range. Now, are they sawing through armor with long bursts at 50m? Maybe. But that doesn’t scale. Only a small percentage of enemy armor is going to let you do that without killing you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Far more than 50 Bradleys headed over?  That makes me happy.

As far as the ACTUAL performance/ armor penetration of the 25mm DU rounds?

- that is classified information.

Which leaves us to speculate.  But we have some anecdotal evidence:

- take another look at the quotes Jack67 took the time to post in the middle of page 3288.

Only time will tell for sure.  I believe the 50+ Bradleys will eventually be game changers, negating nearly all of Russia’s armor.

I can appreciate why many stick to the adages about the best ways to attack tanks (from the air, from artillery range, etc) and how the worst place to be is facing the frontal armor.

Finding yourself facing a tank head-on, you would ideally want another tank or a concealed ATGM to try to defeat the thickest frontal armor.  

Even then, sound tank doctrine would never leave a single tank alone facing the enemy, so following your successful shot, a second enemy tank would take you out soon after.

But so far in Ukraine, I have rarely seen the Russians employ sound tank doctrine.

Hopefully the Ukrainians can exploit that, and take out as many T72s as feasible, without losing many Bradleys, and hopefully they never have to go head to head with a T72.

NOTE:  as far as the number of vital seconds in an encounter with a tank, it looks like the TOW is much slower to deploy and fire than the Bushmaster cannon.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:

View Quote

Sounds pretty bad over there.  Hope Ukraine can stop the bleeding.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#48]
36 min ago.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Marketing stunt.

View Quote

God bless them if they kill a single orc.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:45:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7empest] [#50]
So damn depressing. Hopefully the Ukrainians can recover the situation and push the orcs back.

And damn it the West needs to stop debating and slow rolling shit. Give the Ukrainians the fucking tools already and they will do the job.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3291 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top