Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3381 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:

Is that a rhetorical question?  There have been plenty discussed right here in this thread.  Somone just posted a link to a bunch of officials who were sacked for corruption.  Russia got away relatively unscathed during the Kharkiv AND Kherson advances.  There are ongoing reports of terrible corrupt leadership at the front.  There are scores of vids of Ukrainians being less than stellar soldiers.

Again, I'm for Ukraine, and I hope they kick Russia completely off every inch of their territory, but it ain't all rainbows and unicorns out there, as you must believe if you need proof of their failings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

What failings of the Ukrainians would those be?

Is that a rhetorical question?  There have been plenty discussed right here in this thread.  Somone just posted a link to a bunch of officials who were sacked for corruption.  Russia got away relatively unscathed during the Kharkiv AND Kherson advances.  There are ongoing reports of terrible corrupt leadership at the front.  There are scores of vids of Ukrainians being less than stellar soldiers.

Again, I'm for Ukraine, and I hope they kick Russia completely off every inch of their territory, but it ain't all rainbows and unicorns out there, as you must believe if you need proof of their failings.

No, it wasn't a rhetorical question, I was more so seeing if you were going to reference Nazis, genociding ethnic Russians in the Donbas, giving 10% to the big guy, etc. To your credit, you didn't. I don't disagree with your assessment that Ukraine has noteworthy issues with corruption (all post-Soviet states do), and I don't disagree that the Ukrainians have fucked up at the tactical, operational, and strategic levels multiple times. You can find posts of mine in this thread criticizing the Ukrainians for stubbornly refusing to retreat even when it would be tactically prudent to do so, I'll be the first to point out that Zelensky fucked up by not mobilizing prior to the invasion, and I don't disagree that the Ukrainians have fielded a lot of less than stellar troops.

Those are all valid criticisms of Ukraine. I don't consider ranting about Nazis, biolabs, genocide, NATO expansionism, WEF, etc. as being valid criticisms, which is unfortunately what most of Ukraine's detractors around here resort to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Anyone else see what looked like a suicide around the 1:35 mark?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Originally Posted By Erno86:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE_5N09p9Mg

Anyone else see what looked like a suicide around the 1:35 mark?

I think it was a negligent discharge from falling over backward.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

Bingo.

And we all know it wasn’t a joke. Keep telling other people “I just made a joke” to paint yourself in a good light. You know it’s a lie.

How’s the radios Gentlemanfarmer?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:
Originally Posted By craig19:
Originally Posted By Easterner:
Originally Posted By jebsofnga:

He 3haete ?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Wat_JPG-318.jpg

Извините. мой друга не та клавиатура.

вы не знаете? мы думаем, что вы, вероятно, понимаете по-русски. Нет?

"Sorry. my friend has the wrong keyboard.

you do not know? we think you probably understand Russian. Not?"

Google translate is pretty cool.  

No, not a Russian, don't support Russia.  I made a joke about the cash we are sending and these dudes got all bent out of shape claiming I'm a Russian. I'm not.

Fair enough but I think we were more along the lines of troll type #3, someone spreading or echoing  Russian disinformation because of masaroivka.

Troll type 3’s are sometimes homegrown Americans who are so far into “Biden bad” that they miss the bigger picture. They are also susceptible to zero hedge articles, Tucker, or Kalshinkov awesome videos. Other type threes are globohomo bildenberg acolytes of Putin savior complex.

Bingo.

And we all know it wasn’t a joke. Keep telling other people “I just made a joke” to paint yourself in a good light. You know it’s a lie.

How’s the radios Gentlemanfarmer?

Just an innocent happy-go-lucky, ne’er do well joker. And we’re taking them wrong. Poor misunderstood fellow. You had NO other point. People neeever make sarcastic jokes to make points. Jokes are funny when they’re some grain of truth to them, right?

No accountability these days. One of many broken feedback mechanisms. Ah I was joking, I can’t be held responsible (if you don’t like it).
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:31:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#6]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

What failings of the Ukrainians would those be?

Every bit of that has been discussed in this thread, Ukraine's corruption, the shitty leaders on the front, the lack of taking tactical decisions further, etc.. we do critique ukraine in this thread so dont say its not happening. But the bigger picture is that is stuff we have to deal with, the other choice is to let russia win and that isnt acceptable. not at all.  the fact is we ARE getting one hell of a deal with the aid we are sending Ukraine. thats an undeniable fact. we cannot let Russia continue this aggression just because "10 percent for the big guy"  or corrupt leaders. Thats just ignorant and a very weak excuse.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By kncook:

I don’t think you want Russia to win.

It’s just that people that don’t think it’s worth the money don’t see the larger picture.

If you’re not seeing the benefit in the return it’s hard to trust the “don’t send them money” brigade with other opinions.

It’s kinda like my grandad that stuffed a shoe box full of cash under the floorboards of his cabin as he didn’t believe in banks or investing. At 55 the cabin burned down and he lost everything. That was on top of his money just sitting there for 25 years.

He didn’t understand how his money worked for him….didn’t want it to leave his hands.

Same level of misunderstanding.
View Quote

That was one heck of a good explanation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By vahog:

Not between St. Petersburg and Kaliningrad.

They are not going to close the Baltic. A blockade is an act of war.

The thing I saw suggested Estonia would only stop ships for search to enforce sanctions. This would not matter unless Finland also enforced a zone on their side of the Gulf of Finland.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vahog:
Originally Posted By sq40:
Denmark and Sweden alone could close the Baltic completely couldn’t they? There are only two ways out, no?

Not between St. Petersburg and Kaliningrad.

They are not going to close the Baltic. A blockade is an act of war.

The thing I saw suggested Estonia would only stop ships for search to enforce sanctions. This would not matter unless Finland also enforced a zone on their side of the Gulf of Finland.

Yea Finland would have to be a partner in this decision.  Im not really sure how legal this is going to be for them to do this though. Isnt there some type of passage law  through straits to land of another country? i may not even know wtf im talking about I just dont see how they are able to do this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:17:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#9]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Yea Finland would have to be a partner in this decision.  Im not really sure how legal this is going to be for them to do this though. Isnt there some type of passage law  through straits to land of another country? i may not even know wtf im talking about I just dont see how they are able to do this.
View Quote

I believe they are talking about enforcing sanctions.  The original tweet was very, very badly written.  The Law of the Sea treaty has really distinct laws governing this. What little I know about this (Prime probably knows this stuff, too, or more):

- A country can extend it’s national waters from 12nm (note nm, not statute) for purposes of law enforcement.
- This “contiguous zone” is a further 12nm, for a total of 24nm where they can enforce laws.
- This CZ is not automatic and must be claimed, legally. Presumably, that is what Estonia is doing right now.
- Since Finland and Estonia share a water narrower than this (~30mi), I presume the limit meets in the middle for each. That is the norm, no overlap.
- Since Russia is dependent upon this for ocean access, I *think* they are guaranteed transit rights.
- Russia’s transit rights do not supercede international law, though.  I.e. - sanctions can be enforced regardless.

So to make it really stick, so that traffic just evades the Estonia CZ, Finland has to be on board and that’s questionable IMO.  Who knows, though?  AFAIK, sanctions can be enforced in international waters, so Estonia could enforce it in the shipping lanes as long as Finland doesn’t claim a CZ there.

Another point - if they do start inspecting ships - it has wider-reaching implications. Mainly via insurance.  Insurers will have a cow and greatly drive up rates for hulls bound for Ust-Luga or St. Petersburg, because the risk of seizure has skyrocketed.  This is why Russian oil is so cheap, for example - much lower than the cap (one of the reasons).  So this can really screw with Russia w/o ever getting “hot.”

The Gulf of Finland through here is only about 30-ish miles wide for the most part. Finland and Estonia each get national waters out to 12nm, and then a CZ for enforcement another 12, so my belief is each’s zone would meet in the middle.  I also noted the other major ports besides St. Petersburg, Ust-Luga and Primorsk.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
BMPT Terminator firing into the woods.

Russian propaganda video! NSFW starts at 0:45

Crazy rate of fire.

View Quote

That Terminator is aptly named.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]

I think most posts in GD are less than kind. I agree about having thick skin, which is why I'm still here.

This infighting is taking away from the point of this thread.  So, I'll just say this, I'm sorry for my joke.  I'm sorry for not explaining why I posted the Russian video.  Let's get back to the war.
View Quote

Yes, that video was 100% pure organic Putin semen, but its time to move on and I have no issues giving you a pass, and lets have some positive constructive conversations. *thumbs up*

Honestly Im a newbie to GD. I personally think lot of GD is chickenshit insecure men who live in their own little bubble. However in this thread I have enjoyed many in here, and there are some smart mofos in here too.

I am a combat veteran myself. I lost a buddy I went to sniper school with, I lost a platoon sergeant, I lost a team leader, I cant count the guys that got wounded, that Ive help patch up before the CSH. War is war, and Iraq and Afghanistan was a complete fucking waste.

That being said, this isnt that type a war. This is a country fighting for its survival vs a invader. This is larger scale conventional warfare. Ill be straight up, if I had to choose to fight in this war vs Iraq/Afghan, Id pick this quick. This WOULD be a type of war USA excels at, and we would absolutely crush Putins nuts hard.

However we are not fighting this war with our own men, and thats fine with me too. BUT lets give them everything they need. Lets look at the battlespace, see what the intelligence says, what the guys on the ground are saying, get some military SMEs in US/NATO together and create a shopping list and what is needed for the Ukrainians to PUSH the orcs out. As the battlefield changes and or evolves, adapt. Regardless its all about ending this conflict ASAP, and do it while the Russians are still on their heels. I am HOPING we are doing some moves on the inside, so when spring comes, we can make a huge push. I do not want to see this game continue where we wait........wait...wait some more before we react. All you are doing at that point, is giving Putin more time to possibly re group, gather more men, and prolong this even longer.

Tanks, himars, atacms, artillery, ammo, aircraft I really want to see. Anyways my point is this is not a Iraq or Afghanistan or NAM. This deserves our utmost attention.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I heard from a source on the news yesterday: That the German Leopard tank is smaller, faster and a better battle tank for the Ukrainians; than the gas-guzzling M1 Abrams --- Even though the Abrams is outfitted with more tactical weaponry.
View Quote

Abrams uses 2x the fuel, and runs on Jet fuel not diesel:

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:49:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By zx2man:

Yes, that video was 100% pure organic Putin semen, but its time to move on and I have no issues giving you a pass, and lets have some positive constructive conversations. *thumbs up*

Honestly Im a newbie to GD. I personally think lot of GD is chickenshit insecure men who live in their own little bubble. However in this thread I have enjoyed many in here, and there are some smart mofos in here too.

I am a combat veteran myself. I lost a buddy I went to sniper school with, I lost a platoon sergeant, I lost a team leader, I cant count the guys that got wounded, that Ive help patch up before the CSH. War is war, and Iraq and Afghanistan was a complete fucking waste.

That being said, this isnt that type a war. This is a country fighting for its survival vs a invader. This is larger scale conventional warfare. Ill be straight up, if I had to choose to fight in this war vs Iraq/Afghan, Id pick this quick. This WOULD be a type of war USA excels at, and we would absolutely crush Putins nuts hard.

However we are not fighting this war with our own men, and thats fine with me too. BUT lets give them everything they need. Lets look at the battlespace, see what the intelligence says, what the guys on the ground are saying, get some military SMEs in US/NATO together and create a shopping list and what is needed for the Ukrainians to PUSH the orcs out. As the battlefield changes and or evolves, adapt. Regardless its all about ending this conflict ASAP, and do it while the Russians are still on their heels. I am HOPING we are doing some moves on the inside, so when spring comes, we can make a huge push. I do not want to see this game continue where we wait........wait...wait some more before we react. All you are doing at that point, is giving Putin more time to possibly re group, gather more men, and prolong this even longer.

Tanks, himars, atacms, artillery, ammo, aircraft I really want to see. Anyways my point is this is not a Iraq or Afghanistan or NAM. This deserves our utmost attention.
View All Quotes

I think most posts in GD are less than kind. I agree about having thick skin, which is why I'm still here.

This infighting is taking away from the point of this thread.  So, I'll just say this, I'm sorry for my joke.  I'm sorry for not explaining why I posted the Russian video.  Let's get back to the war.

Not to derail this thread but, if that's where you were, please don't feel that way. My brother was in AFG as well. Had his tour cut short by an IED but thankfully everyone involved made it out.

Fact is CONUS didn't suffer a single major terror attack the entire time we were engaged in major operations in those places. You guys did your job, sucking in and getting rid of as many of the terrorists as the politicians would allow. Be proud of it!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

I believe they are talking about enforcing sanctions.  The original tweet was very, very badly written.  The Law of the Sea treaty has really distinct laws governing this. What little I know about this (Prime probably knows this stuff, too, or more):

- A country can extend it’s national waters from 12nm (note nm, not statute) for purposes of law enforcement.
- This “contiguous zone” is a further 12nm, for a total of 24nm where they can enforce laws.
- This CZ is not automatic and must be claimed, legally. Presumably, that is what Estonia is doing right now.
- Since Finland and Estonia share a water narrower than this (~30mi), I presume the limit meets in the middle for each. That is the norm, no overlap.
- Since Russia is dependent upon this for ocean access, I *think* they are guaranteed transit rights.
- Russia’s transit rights do not supercede international law, though.  I.e. - sanctions can be enforced regardless.

So to make it really stick, so that traffic just evades the Estonia CZ, Finland has to be on board and that’s questionable IMO.  Who knows, though?  AFAIK, sanctions can be enforced in international waters, so Estonia could enforce it in the shipping lanes as long as Finland doesn’t claim a CZ there.

Another point - if they do start inspecting ships - it has wider-reaching implications. Mainly via insurance.  Insurers will have a cow and greatly drive up rates for hulls bound for Ust-Luga or St. Petersburg, because the risk of seizure has skyrocketed.  This is why Russian oil is so cheap, for example - much lower than the cap (one of the reasons).  So this can really screw with Russia w/o ever getting “hot.”

The Gulf of Finland through here is only about 30-ish miles wide for the most part. Finland and Estonia each get national waters out to 12nm, and then a CZ for enforcement another 12, so my belief is each’s zone would meet in the middle.  I also noted the other major ports besides St. Petersburg, Ust-Luga and Primorsk.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/D64F70FE-E105-4D02-AA89-8D5BEBF638E1_jpe-2684545.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/D64F70FE-E105-4D02-AA89-8D5BEBF638E1_jpe-2684545.JPG

Ok cool, thanks for the info. I figured Russia did have rights of transit. It will be interesting if they see this through with Finland.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:05:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

Not to derail this thread but, if that's where you were, please don't feel that way. My brother was in AFG as well. Had his tour cut short by an IED but thankfully everyone involved made it out.

Fact is CONUS didn't suffer a single major terror attack the entire time we were engaged in major operations in those places. You guys did your job, sucking in and getting rid of as many of the terrorists as the politicians would allow. Be proud of it!
View Quote

Like everything there is much more context to my story, and that statement doesnt exactly describe how I feel, more of a blunt blanket statement. I also had insane fun while I was in, a wild ride, took me years to calm down, made friends for life etc.

Anyways Thank you for the gesture :)

now lets get back to the thread.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:05:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

It’s lost on me, every time I see reports like this, why the violated Russian soldiers don’t kill a bunch of Kadyrovites on their way out.

I mean, if you’re suicidal over the treatment you’ve received, why not share the misery?

That’s some real beta cowardice in my eyes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:
Originally Posted By Prime:

Reminder:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FnHbwHwWAAEpfsf?format=jpg&name=900x900

It’s lost on me, every time I see reports like this, why the violated Russian soldiers don’t kill a bunch of Kadyrovites on their way out.

I mean, if you’re suicidal over the treatment you’ve received, why not share the misery?

That’s some real beta cowardice in my eyes.

Especially since they have machine guns, hand grenades, and rocket launchers...its not like they have to take on a prison gang with a sharpened toothbrush.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:05:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

https://i.ibb.co/52VGzyP/Screen-Shot-2023-01-23-at-9-18-08-PM.png
View Quote

what did they do drive them down hill? 14.7 per km. lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:09:07 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
I heard from a source on the news yesterday: That the German Leopard tank is smaller, faster and a better battle tank for the Ukrainians; than the gas-guzzling M1 Abrams --- Even though the Abrams is outfitted with more tactical weaponry.

They can run on diesel if I'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Uh, not to be too pedantic about it, but jet fuel is sort of kerosene, which is sort of diesel anyway, and the mil mixes just have funky additives for mil specific reasons (corrosion? unicorn farts? fairy dust? I don't know, I just know we have had oilfield bros respond to other threads on ARF and explain what all that was about).

The Abrams turbine engine is multi-fuel...it's just that the mil supply system tends to "prefer" the NATO spec stuff for a lot of good reasons, even though an Abrams could burn anything you wanted...as long as you weren't worried about the already terrible fuel economy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:16:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ludder093:

Jet fuels, gasoline and diesel
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:25:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

When this started last February, I used this example to my wife: Russia is the husband/ boyfriend that constantly abuses the shit out of you, but when you get fed up and leave, tries to murder you, the whole time blaming you for making them do it.

Nato, in this example, represents the battered women's shelter with armed guards that keep him from hurting or killing you in a drunken angry rage after the restraining order has been served.

View Quote

Oh man! That is a wonderful analogy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:27:19 AM EDT
[#23]

I saw an update posted earlier this evening saying that it has diverted from the expected route to those exercises, and it's now headed toward the US.  No idea what to believe here, but if true, you can bet the bastards have something nasty up their sleeves.  I can only hope we're ready to respond accordingly.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:36:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Uh, not to be too pedantic about it, but jet fuel is sort of kerosene, which is sort of diesel anyway, and the mil mixes just have funky additives for mil specific reasons (corrosion? unicorn farts? fairy dust? I don't know, I just know we have had oilfield bros respond to other threads on ARF and explain what all that was about).

The Abrams turbine engine is multi-fuel...it's just that the mil supply system tends to "prefer" the NATO spec stuff for a lot of good reasons, even though an Abrams could burn anything you wanted...as long as you weren't worried about the already terrible fuel economy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Good to know.

The fuel economy shocked me. I don't think I could burn 14L of fuel pouring it on the ground and lighting it on fire as quickly as the Abrams is using it
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By grambosc:

I saw an update posted earlier this evening saying that it has diverted from the expected route to those exercises, and it's now headed toward the US.  No idea what to believe here, but if true, you can bet the bastards have something nasty up their sleeves.  I can only hope we're ready to respond accordingly.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481717/IMG_20230124_215942_879_jpg-2684591.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481717/IMG_20230124_215942_879_jpg-2684591.JPG
I wouldn't get too excited. They will probably just sail around off the east coast and go 'neener neener boo boo, Russia stronk!' and flick boogers at us.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Veccio:
I wouldn't get too excited. They will probably just sail around off the east coast and go 'neener neener boo boo, Russia stronk!' and flick boogers at us.
View Quote

It's a false flag. They'll have a smoking incident, catch fire and sink off our coast.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Got a link to that? Would be interested in the Swedes evaluation results..
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:49:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#28]

View Quote

They will sail to Havana, where the sun is warm, and so is the … “comradeship.”

Seriously, Russian ships have called on Havana routinely, including this ship just a few years ago.  I don’t understand how they know it “diverted” from its course unless someone at Red Banner Northern Fleet leaked the op plan?  Just click-bait imo.

ETA: Adm. Gorschkov entering Havana, 2019
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:06:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By lycurgus:

All post-Soviet states have some manner of problems; some more and some less. You don't live through 45 - 70 years of cultural and social rot and disease brought about by Marxism/Communism and come out the other side without serious issues.

If the CCP ever fell in mainland China and a "democratic" government would arise, China would still deal with serious social and cultural issues for a long time as a result of the CCP rule
View Quote

I don't think most Americans, or life long westerners for that matter, can grasp how damaged these cultures are and how difficult it is to change them.

It's not all that unlike the war on drugs or inner city thuglording. Everyone has their part to play in the rot and the social systems supporting that rot. The force for change needs to be an overwhelming flood.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:12:14 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Today, frigate Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Gorshkov with Tsirkon hypersonic missiles on board is embarking on a long-range sea voyage across the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, as well as the Mediterranean Sea," the minister said.

https://tass.com/defense/1558937
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:24:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grambosc] [#31]

Seriously, Russian ships have called on Havana routinely, including this ship just a few years ago.  I don’t understand how they know it “diverted” from its course unless someone at Red Banner Northern Fleet leaked the op plan?  Just click-bait imo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/2812301E-5E65-4F3D-B13E-8C5AF32DE482_jpe-2684596.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/2812301E-5E65-4F3D-B13E-8C5AF32DE482_jpe-2684596.JPG

They had expected it to head to South Africa for exercises with their friends in the Chinese and SA navies which are scheduled for next month.  If they're playing FAFO in the water near the US before then, they might miss their little play date.

But you're right, they may just be heading to Havana.
Hopefully to pick up more cigarettes, cigarillos, and cigars to carelessly smoke around the fuel and munitions.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:24:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Today, frigate Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Gorshkov with Tsirkon hypersonic missiles on board is embarking on a long-range sea voyage across the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, as well as the Mediterranean Sea," the minister said.

View All Quotes

Definitely a lot of chances for smoking accidents while literally sailing around the world, all by your lonesome…

Wonder if they’ll fall for thee ole Glomar Explorer trick again
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:25:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#33]
More Abrams love:

2-12 Cav now kitted out with M1A2 SEP V4 (M1A2D), first unit equipped. From article:

The M1A2 SEP V4 includes new equipment and upgrades to existing systems. Some of the new equipment includes:

- Improved situational awareness and networking capabilities through the installation of a new digital battlefield management system.
- Integration of third generation (3GEN) FLIR the cornerstone technology that will provide tank crews the ability to identify enemy targets farther than ever before. The 3GEN FLIR will be an upgrade to both sights and will be common with other combat platforms.
- An upgraded power generation system, which includes the installation of an auxiliary power unit (APU) and a new power distribution system.
- Increased armor protection, including the installation of enhanced armor packages on the hull and turret.
- Improved fire control and targeting systems, including the integration of a new third-generation thermal imaging system and a new laser rangefinder.
- An upgraded driver's display and control system, which includes a new color display and improved controls for the driver.
- A new air conditioning system to improve crew comfort in extreme temperatures.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/defense_news_january_2023_global_security_army_industry/us_army_thunderhorse_2-12_cavalry_regiment_receives_first_m1a2_sep_v4_abrams_tank.html

New M1A2 SEP V4 (air conditioning upgrade shown (jk))
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:31:19 AM EDT
[#34]

They had expected it to head to South Africa for exercises with their friends in the Chinese and SA navies which are scheduled for next month.  If they're playing FAFO in the water near the US before then, they might miss their little play date.

Hopefully to pick up more cigarettes, cigarillos, and cigars to carelessly smoke around the fuel and munitions.
View All Quotes

When on Earth did South Africa become this friendly with China?

I understand economic relations and “noble” development partnerships China has been doing in poorer countries…. But military exercises??
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Escaped Russian spy given asylum in Norway.

also brought along secret harness that held camera.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:38:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#37]

WOW!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#38]

I understand economic relations and “noble” development partnerships China has been doing in poorer countries…. But military exercises??
View Quote

Over the last 10 years, through the Belt and Road initiative.  China has invested heavily in SA, Durban port among other things (banks, etc).  They have been using economic leverage to get military access routinely around the globe.  Durban’s port has been an investment focus there to gain ownership and access.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I'd suspect a translation error.

Russia and China have many flunky states in all of mother Africa, including its south.

I don't believe that "South Africa (e.g. 'RSA')" is one of them. I could be wrong. Putin's and Xi's dicks are apparently long and tasty.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:06:15 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

It runs on diesel and JP8.

That's the same as saying a Hmmwv runs on jet fuel.

Everything runs on JP8
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

Russia and China have many flunky states in all of mother Africa, including its south.

I don't believe that "South Africa (e.g. 'RSA')" is one of them. I could be wrong. Putin's and Xi's dicks are apparently long and tasty.
View All Quotes

Nope, South Africa is apart of BRICS alliance.  (brazil, Russia, india, china, south africa).   they are all best buds now
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#42]
More Abrams love:

2-12 Cav now kitted out with M1A2 SEP V4 (M1A2D), first unit equipped. From article:

The M1A2 SEP V4 includes new equipment and upgrades to existing systems. Some of the new equipment includes:

- Improved situational awareness and networking capabilities through the installation of a new digital battlefield management system.
- Integration of third generation (3GEN) FLIR the cornerstone technology that will provide tank crews the ability to identify enemy targets farther than ever before. The 3GEN FLIR will be an upgrade to both sights and will be common with other combat platforms.
- An upgraded power generation system, which includes the installation of an auxiliary power unit (APU) and a new power distribution system.
- Increased armor protection, including the installation of enhanced armor packages on the hull and turret.
- Improved fire control and targeting systems, including the integration of a new third-generation thermal imaging system and a new laser rangefinder.
- An upgraded driver's display and control system, which includes a new color display and improved controls for the driver.
- A new air conditioning system to improve crew comfort in extreme temperatures.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/defense_news_january_2023_global_security_army_industry/us_army_thunderhorse_2-12_cavalry_regiment_receives_first_m1a2_sep_v4_abrams_tank.html

New M1A2 SEP V4 (air conditioning upgrade shown (jk))
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/0FE3A2E0-3AF3-48C3-B6FF-072EF5A6C70C_png-2684603.JPG
View Quote

Man, things like that last point on HVAC remind you it’s good to be a tanker today vs the past.

When did we start putting AC in tanks?  The Abrams probably had it from the beginning of memory serves. Anyone have experience to comment on using them? What temp did you set it too? Any fights over “who touched the thermostat !?”

Bet the Russian tanks have broken ones if even equipped. The heat and cold is complained about in every wwii tanker memoir.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:11:54 AM EDT
[#43]
BIG!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Nope, South Africa is apart of BRICS alliance.  (brazil, Russia, india, china, south africa).   they are all best buds now
View Quote

BRICS is not actually an alliance - it is an economist's ideation of countries with nominal similar GDPs, economies, aspirations and economic prospects, who can also cause world problems because of their regional and global influences and populations and economies - and of course their possibly intersecting self-interests outside the US sphere of influence or range of desired outcomes.

They're "usual suspects" not "La Cosa Nostra", IMO
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I posted the maritime borders a few pages ago.

Here is some more information, I had not the time to read it yet.

IILSS-International institute for Law of the Sea Studies - WORLD MARITIME BOUNDARIES ATLAS maritime boundaries between Russia and Estonia  24th May 2021  No Comments
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Man, things like that last point on HVAC remind you it’s good to be a tanker today vs the past.

When did we start putting AC in tanks?  The Abrams probably had it from the beginning of memory serves. Anyone have experience to comment on using them? What temp did you set it too? Any fights over “who touched the thermostat !?”

Bet the Russian tanks have broken ones if even equipped. The heat and cold is complained about in every wwii tanker memoir.
View Quote

Abrams had water cooled vests.

My brdm has a heater that burns my leg. It works very well
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/DWeXAAn.jpg
I posted the maritime borders a few pages ago.

Here is some more information, I had not the time to read it yet.
IILSS-International institute for Law of the Sea Studies - WORLD MARITIME BOUNDARIES ATLAS maritime boundaries between Russia and Estonia  24th May 2021  No Comments
View Quote
You know the funny thing about borders? They don't really exist - you can just interdict them or walk all across them as you please, if you're already at war or willing to risk being at war.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:24:57 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Meh, for 30-40 years now, the Russians will be "We have ten ships of this class!" but maybe 1-2 of those ships ever goes out on exercises or leaves Russian coastal waters.  We can send a frigate around the world without a морской буксир in the group to bring it back is not a big flex honestly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:25:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#49]

BRICS is not actually an alliance - it is an economist's ideation of countries with nominal similar GDPs, economies, aspirations and economic prospects, who can also cause world problems because of their regional and global influences and populations and economies - and of course their possibly intersecting self-interests outside the US sphere of influence or range of desired outcomes.

View All Quotes

well the militrary "joint" maneuvers between known BRICS members sure looks like to me that BRICS is turning into more than just about economics, especially since China is joining south africa and russia in them.

"Since 2009, they have increasingly formed into a more cohesive geopolitical bloc, with their governments meeting annually at formal summits and coordinating multilateral policies; China hosted the most recent 14th BRICS summit on 24 July 2022. "
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:27:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#50]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

Meh, for 30-40 years now, the Russians will be "We have ten ships of this class!" but maybe 1-2 of those ships ever goes out on exercises or leaves Russian coastal waters.  We can send a frigate around the world without a морской буксир in the group to bring it back is not a big flex honestly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

The main point is not really the ship cruising the seas, Its what the ship is bringing along with it. The Zircon missle, which no one has a way of stopping. So its a new threat travelling around the oceans while our carriers are also out there. They were made to kill carriers..100 percent chance we have a sub tailing every where it goes. that is why I highlighted the seas they said its going to. Its the same seas we have carriers
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3381 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top