BCM
User Panel

Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

Keep in mind, that being "on the ground in Ukraine" or being born in Ukraine, or having family in Ukraine, or having the ability to read a certain language, IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER gives anyone an advantage in assessing the intentions of Russia and Putin.

All we have to go on are the "reports" and images that help paint a picture of what and how the Russian forces are arrayed.

There is a MASSIVE campaign of propaganda and misinformation taking place, so words have very little meaning at this point.

Do you agree?
View Quote

I do know that Ukrainians don't like being told that they don't know what's going on by foreigners.  Apparently that recently happened to Biden.

I agree that I'm not read in with all the intelligence reports and admit that I don't read the news because most of it seems to be inflammatory with hints of propaganda.  It is very difficult to trust any government now to be truthful/transparent and the US intelligence community has credibility issues, especially when getting the US into wars.  I am in various expat forums where foreign reporters were recently trying to get interviews with their respective expats which tended to have some blowback due to the views of fanning the flames & glossing over the world ignoring these past 8 years of Russia aggression.  When I was visiting Texas two weeks ago it was nonstop RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA on the news.  I don't remember that occurring when Russia invaded in 2014.  Many Ukrainians that I've talked with are exhausted from these past 8 years so have become almost indifferent which I can understand.  They'll just worry about it if/when it finally happens to them individually.

You also need to listen to those that are currently living here, telling you what they are seeing and how people are reacting.  It is best to get as many perspectives as possible so you can better make an informed decision instead of being stuck inside an echo chamber.  Being around Ukrainians and living here has definitely changed my views, outlooks, and understandings.  I have had many challenging conversations from people from all over the world to force me to rethink everything that I thought I knew.  Some good, some bad.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

$$$ LOL Я не хочу говорю на деньги!

I am in charge of the finances. My woman understands this when she wants to. I have the means to move them around, or stay put depending on the situation.

Yes 3 generations is quite the handful. Momma feeds me like I am always starving. The wife wants me to be in control, but also wants to be in control. The daughter watches and learns. Usually just worries about being a young woman and enjoying life. I still love this crazy bunch. I have to say I spoil all three of them within reason.

It's sad to see us all worrying about this. In the end they just want a normal life like most people in the world.

View Quote

I completely understand your living conditions which reinforces why I will never put myself into a 3 generation dystopia, especially in Ukraine.  It's like ALL IN THE FAMILY meets MAMMA'S FAMILY meets MARRIED WITH CHILDREN speckled with a bit of WALTONS while being on a terrible acid trip.  You are much better man than me which makes me wonder how much you have in common with Leopold von Sacher-Masoch.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Keep in mind, that being "on the ground in Ukraine" or being born in Ukraine, or having family in Ukraine, or having the ability to read a certain language, IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER gives anyone an advantage in assessing the intentions of Russia and Putin.

All we have to go on are the "reports" and images that help paint a picture of what and how the Russian forces are arrayed.

There is a MASSIVE campaign of propaganda and misinformation taking place, so words have very little meaning at this point.

Do you agree?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tboy:

I just shake my head at members here that have NEVER BEEN TO UKRAINE tell us how it actually works here.  

Do you agree?

Who are we to tell Ukrainians what is good for them or not? We need to stay out of other nation's/people's business. If assistance is requested, we should consider it, but remain discerning.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]

All of our decisions should be based upon what is good for US.  

And we MAY determine that it is in OUR best interest to stay out of, OR get into "other nation's/people's business."

But as you said...we should always be discerning in making these decisions.
View Quote

Agree with both of you.  However.....we have plenty of issues here at home to resolve that are absolutely in our nation's best interest.  Outside assistance just changes focus and makes progress that much more difficult.  Left and right hand issue.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CTAC:

Agree with both of you.  However.....we have plenty of issues here at home to resolve that are absolutely in our nation's best interest.  Outside assistance just changes focus and makes progress that much more difficult.  Left and right hand issue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CTAC:

And we MAY determine that it is in OUR best interest to stay out of, OR get into "other nation's/people's business."

I posted earlier we need to take care of business here. I currently don't trust our politicians to do the right thing here, let alone anywhere else.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:

I just shake my head at members here that have NEVER BEEN TO UKRAINE tell us how it actually works here.  

Do you agree?

Who are we to tell Ukrainians what is good for them or not? We need to stay out of other nation's/people's business. If assistance is requested, we should consider it, but remain discerning.

Lol
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]

I completely understand your living conditions which reinforces why I will never put myself into a 3 generation dystopia, especially in Ukraine.  It's like ALL IN THE FAMILY meets MAMMA'S FAMILY meets MARRIED WITH CHILDREN speckled with a bit of WALTONS while being on a terrible acid trip.  You are much better man than me which makes me wonder how much you have in common with Leopold von Sacher-Masoch.
View Quote

In the end it is nothing more than family. We all have our quirks and deal with them. Everyone benefits and is loved.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]

That is correct.

Drunken pig-people, destined for a landfill.

I learned this by observing how Putin treats them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By colklink:

During the initial invasion into Crimea and Donbas, Russia denied their existence, and then treated their dead and wounded (and their families) like garbage.

I wonder if we’ll see that again.  We did in Syria.

Well, dead Russians are garbage, as are live Russians, so?

That is correct.

Drunken pig-people, destined for a landfill.

I learned this by observing how Putin treats them.

The greatest of all, was Stalin, because he killed more Russians than anyone! And he wasn't even a Russian!

Putin, he is just fleecing the country, and retarding any hope of Russia not being a shithole country. If he wants to be a Russian legend, he needs to start slaughtering Russians. Then maybe in 30 years the stupid fuckers will put up a statue of him in Red Square or some shit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Macron was in Moscow today meeting with Putin.  They discussed security proposals but have been silent on specifics until after Macron goes to Kiev tomorrow.  Meanwhile the German Chancellor is in DC distracting Biden.

US/NATO and Russia have taken a hard line against each other and it's unlikely that any compromise will happen between them.  It looks like Putin wants to deal with the EU separately and would probably make some concessions with them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JohnT83:
Macron was in Moscow today meeting with Putin.  They discussed security proposals but have been silent on specifics until after Macron goes to Kiev tomorrow.  Meanwhile the German Chancellor is in DC distracting Biden.

US/NATO and Russia have taken a hard line against each other and it's unlikely that any compromise will happen between them.  It looks like Putin wants to deal with the EU separately and would probably make some concessions with them.
View Quote

LOL.

Might was well shut this thread down if the only updates are going to be bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Well CNN and DHS succeeded in outdoing clown world......

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#13]
Invasion, Stock, and Barrel: Ukraine’s Personal Arms Market is Booming

Ruslan Rokhov, 35, from Kyiv, has purchased Diamondback riffle for self-defense (Photo:Natalia Kravchuk/ НВ)

6 February, 12:57

By New Voice of Ukraine News

If you applied for a gun permit this January, you deserve a free pizza at Pizza Veterano,” the owner of Pizza Veterano, Leonid Ostaltsev, the owner of the well-known veteran-established pizzeria in Kyiv, wrote on his Facebook page. His restaurant is running a promotion for a free pizza for new firearm owners from Feb. 2 to Feb. 4.

Ostaltsev says this is his way of supporting other Ukrainians who rushed out to purchase weapons in light of a massive Russian military buildup on Ukraine’s borders.

RELATED STORY: Former world boxing champion Wladimir Klitschko has joined the Kyiv brigade of the Territorial Defense Force of Ukraine

Demand for firearms has recently skyrocketed in Ukraine, local arms experts told NV, though they’re not cheap - with the usual price hovering at about three average monthly salaries - approximately $1,900. That price doesn’t even take into account the cost of a firearms permit, which is necessary to legally purchase one.

However, despite the high costs, Ukrainians are still investing in their personal safety. Owning your own firearm is also a requirement to join the Territorial Defense Force, which has been established to serve as a ‘home guard’ in case of all-out war.

However, Ukrainians aren’t waiting for one to start, instead, they’ve taken matters into their own hands and are already actively buying rifles, to give themselves time to go through the necessary training.

Kyivans attend territorial defense training / Фото: АFP

According to the data provided by the Ukrainian Arms Owners Association, Ukrainians buy around 70,000 guns a year. Experts are expecting a much higher figure this year. At the moment, there are almost 1.5 million firearms in circulation, reports the Interior Ministry, but that number is bound to soar, given the unprecedented demand.

“Sales are unequivocally on the rise,” the CEO of the Zbroyar arms company, Serhii Horban, told NV.

“We would like the figures to continue growing, but not because of a looming invasion…We expect the civilian arms market to keep growing in the future.”

A Zbroyar rifle is the weapon of choice for the 52-year-old mother of three, Maryana Zhaglo, who recently made headlines with her purchase. Mariana told The Times that she had bought the gun to join the Territorial Defense Forces.

“It turned out that Territorial Defense Forces are quite open to women recruits,” Zhaglo told NV.

“I’ve been acquiring news skills for the last two years. That’s how it all began.”

The thorny path to gun ownership

The first step to gun ownership is to save around 50,000 Ukrainian hryvnias (a little under $2,000). Then, a citizen can apply for permission purchase a firearm, which needs to be registered with law enforcement authorities.

“It takes about a month to get permission to purchase a gun,” said new gun owner, 33-year-old Oleksandr Pechalov.

“Then you need to buy the weapon together with a safe. Afterwards, you take your gun purchase permit to the authorities. A month later you can collect your gun storage permit.”

Pechalov has been regularly training with the 130th battalion of the Kyiv Territorial Defense Force since last spring. In autumn, he bought a .223 caliber Zbroyar Z-15 rifle worth around 50,000 Ukrainian hryvnias ($1,778.39 at current exchange rates). Pechalov is now using his rifle to work on his combat and marksmanship skills.
Read also:

RELATED STORY: Kyiv resident feels ‘much safer’ after joining Territorial Defense Force

The exact nature of this newly found demand for firearms is constantly changing. There are those who prefer to buy Ukrainian-made weapons, while others are fans of foreign-manufactured rifles.

“The demand has definitely evolved in the light of the looming Russian invasion,” says Zbroyar’s Horban.

Zbroyar’s most popular models are the Z15 and Z9 carbines, though the Z9 is the more affordable option as it takes pistol caliber rounds and needs cheaper cartridges.

This demand for firearms has spread beyond Ukrainians concerned with a potential invasion, or looking to join the ranks of the Territorial Defense Forces, and if the current threat passes, then Ukraine may find itself in the midst of a personal defense weapon renaissance.

For now, Ukrainian legislation still restricts the market - Ukrainian civilians can typically only own non-lethal and hunting weapons [NOTE: MSRs with "hi-cap" mags and suppressors are considered hunting weapons, Ukraine's government uses the word "hunting" in the same way BATFE uses the term "sporting"]- the category that Zbroyar’s offerings fall into. Handguns, submachine guns, and other popular categories of firearms are still out of the question.

Bachelor’s in Self-Defense

Of course, just owning a rifle and knowing where the shoot bit is is far from all that’s needed to be able to use the weapon in combat. Firearm experts note the need to participate in regular trainings and drills, as marksmanship skills are likely to degrade if not polished.

Center-A, a security training center based in central Kyiv, is offering courses and trainings for gun owners, and have reported a dramatic increase in client numbers over the past months.

“In the last month and a half we’ve started up to ten new groups with eight people each,” said Center-A CEO Roman Zembitsky.

“The new participants are learning to use non-lethal pistols, as well as rifled and smooth-bore guns. We offer courses where we teach the basic skills for gun usage, including tactical skills.”

A basic gun training course is composed of 5 to 9 classes, depending on the category, and can cost up 900 dollars. Having completed the beginner’s course, you can then go on to do three more advanced-level courses, with ten classes each.

Given the current situation, there is also public demand for first aid courses, which Center-A also offers.

The number of people wishing to become gun owners is constantly growing and it boost the development of the weapon market. Ukrainian shops offer a wide choice of guns, cartridges and other equipment.

Since the personal arms market has hardly been a historically dynamic one for Ukraine, the current demand has led to greater variety in gun stores across the country. The current boom is reminiscent of 2014, the year when Russia first invaded Ukraine, explains weapon expert Taras Oliynyk.

“However, there’s a much wider selection now available in shops. The target audience are middle-class people who can afford to own a rifle.”

Oliynyk says that the cheapest option is a smooth-bore hunting rifle, that can cost up to 6,000 Ukrainian hryvnias (around $200). Civilian carbines such as the AKM and AR-15 are more pricey, but also a lot more effective.

“All civilian firearms in Ukraine are classified as hunting weapons,” said Oliynyk.

“This is mostly a formality, but when you apply for a gun purchase permit, you have to fill in ‘hunting’ rather than ‘self-defense’ or ‘defending your country’. Bear that in mind if you want to get a permit without any issues,” adds Oliynyk, though he notes that actually going on a hunt is entirely optional.

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

IBIS Ukrainian gun store chain (Beautiful stores which can rival Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops)  -

MSR Page,

"hi-cap" magazine page,

suppressor page .

IBIS YOUTUBE Channel - POF Rifle review:
???????? ??, ?????? ?16: ???????? ? ???????? POF USA
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 58Teague:

LOL.

Might was well shut this thread down if the only updates are going to be bullshit.
View Quote

I’m not sure what else one might expect from that account

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Someone needs to tell Ruslan Rokhov he has his scope mount backwards and not fully mounted on the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Filed under: It’s a message to NATO.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
care to wager?
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:25:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#18]

Feb 18 - Congressional budget deadline
Feb 20 - End of Winter Olympics in China
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
care to wager?
View All Quotes

care to wager?

That Ukraine becomes a full on member in the EU.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#20]
care to wager?
View All Quotes

care to wager?

It's all hypothetical right now.  Putin could return a few military units to their permanent bases and call it a deescalation and it would cost him nothing.

Putin has been negotiating with the EU all along.  The US was not involved in Normandy Format or Minsk Agreements, only France and Germany.

Here's the French view of things.  https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20220207-live-macron-in-moscow-in-push-for-diplomatic-solution-to-mounting-ukraine-crisis

Russian leader Vladimir Putin said after talks Monday with French President Emmanuel Macron that Moscow would do its best to find compromises in the crisis with the West over Ukraine.

"As far as we are concerned, we will do everything to find compromises that suit everyone," Putin said, adding that there would be "no winners" if war breaks out on the European continent.

The Russian leader also stressed that NATO and the United States had ignored Moscow's demand of security guarantees including NATO's non-expansion and would press them for a firm commitment.

"I don't think that our dialogue is over," he said, adding that Russia would soon send a response to NATO and Washington.

He also insisted that Ukrainian authorities should respect Western-brokered Minsk agreements on the country's separatist conflict.

"I believe that there's simply no alternative," Putin said.

French President Emmanuel Macron said he had made proposals of “concrete security guarantees” to Russian leader Vladimir Putin at Monday’s talks.

“President Putin assured me of his readiness to engage in this sense and his desire to maintain stability and the territorial integrity of Ukraine,” Macron said after nearly five hours of talks with Putin in the Kremlin.

Putin says ‘quite possible’ to move forward on some of Macron’s proposals

Russian President Vladimir Putin described Monday’s talks with French President Emmanuel Macron in the Kremlin as useful, substantive and business-like, and said that some of Macron’s ideas could form a basis for further joint steps.

In a joint news conference after the talks, Putin said that a number of Macron’s ideas concerning security were realistic and that the two would talk again once Macron had travelled to Kyiv to meet Ukraine’s leadership.

“A number of his ideas, proposals, which are probably still too early to talk about, I think it is quite possible to make the basis of our further joint steps,” he said.

“We have agreed that after his trip to the Ukrainian capital we will call each other again and exchange views on this matter,” he said.

Which of these two do you think is in a stronger position?

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#21]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 58Teague:

LOL.

View Quote

We’ve missed you
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#23]
UK Defence Journal
@UKDefJournal
·
6h
U.S. Air Force B-52 bombers will be deploying to the United Kingdom shortly as part of a 'Bomber Task Force' training mission to "familiarise themselves" with European airspace.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I just heard on the radio that mumbles intends to shut off the Nordstream 2 pipeline if Vlad invades the Ukraine.

Such statesmanship.

I'm sure the perfidious rotkrauts will support him to the hilt.

mean tweets defeated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Look, US liberal commies are finally caring about a border.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes

I would not be surprised one single bit if France (possibly with the help of Germany) did a complete end-run around POTATOUS, and that would not be hard to do anyway. France is ready to wear the big boy pants in Europe, and wants to be a leader there. Given the absolute shit show that US foreign policy has been, especially recently, there is a vacuum and we are seen as weak and likely to waffle.

Uhhhh, what? US/NATO and hard line don’t really belong together.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:38:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#27]

Macron is in no position at all.  

He has no leverage over the conversation.

All he has to offer is “compromise” and submission.
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLA1WFaXEAcY13m?format=jpg&name=small

Macron is in no position at all.  

He has no leverage over the conversation.

All he has to offer is “compromise” and submission.

100% correct.

ABC reported today that Macron stated that Russia has legitimate security concerns. What a joke he is.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LowBeta:
I just heard on the radio that mumbles intends to shut off the Nordstream 2 pipeline if Vlad invades the Ukraine.

Such statesmanship.

I'm sure the perfidious rotkrauts will support him to the hilt.

mean tweets defeated.
View Quote

How?
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#29]

You are miserable at reading comprehension.

So, what ties to you have in UA?  When was the last time you were here?  When are you coming to fight the Russians?  With all your talk and being such a pro Ukrainian, I would have thought you had put yourself on a plane weeks ago.  

It is so MUCH EASIER for Americans to push for a war with Russia.  Ukrainians don't want to this.  Otherwise this conflict would have ended 7 years ago, win or lose.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

No insult to your girlfriend's family, I'm basing my comments on your comments.

No I am not there now and you are there because your girlfriend is there not because you went to defend Ukraine. My family left in the 1940s due to German and Russian occupation. I've stated my background regarding Ukraine several times on various threads.

You are miserable at reading comprehension.

So, what ties to you have in UA?  When was the last time you were here?  When are you coming to fight the Russians?  With all your talk and being such a pro Ukrainian, I would have thought you had put yourself on a plane weeks ago.  

It is so MUCH EASIER for Americans to push for a war with Russia.  Ukrainians don't want to this.  Otherwise this conflict would have ended 7 years ago, win or lose.

Nobody in this thread has made any indication that they in particular or Americans in general are "pushing" for a war between Ukraine and Russia. Discussing the facts about how Russia is by all appearances "pushing" for such a war is not an indication of agreement and support. Nor will burying one's head in the sand to the aspect of significant massed forces on your borders effectively stop what's coming if Putin so chooses. How has the US made this drag on for seven years as you claim?
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#30]

During the initial invasion into Crimea and Donbas, Russia denied their existence, and then treated their dead and wounded (and their families) like garbage.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

That's a very traditional Russian response. It vastly predates the soviets.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Meanwhile from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome:

Soyuz launches Russian military spy satellite

What will you be doing?

Soyuz-2.1a launches Kosmos-2553

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By PissedMick:
Filed under: It’s a message to NATO.

View Quote

Kaliningrad is an extremely important stretch of territory to watch.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:52:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#35]

https://www.ft.com/content/4e39ea22-9981-4afb-8302-1055cd865e10

I believe this thing may be starting to wind down. They'll throw Putin a few crumbs to make him look like he's getting some minor concessions from the west so he can save face. And Putin will end up not invading, which he may not really be in much a of position to do anyway. The weather for the immediate future looks terrible, with well above freezing daytime temperatures and rain in the forecast, which make for enough Ukrainian mud to bog down anything. It also seems there are some cracks emerging in the Russian home front among military leaders who aren't overly crazy about the idea of launching an invasion of Ukraine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By PalmettoSharpshooter:
Meanwhile from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome:

Soyuz launches Russian military spy satellite

What will you be doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SD28jeWjm0
View Quote

Kosmos-2551 didn't end up so good...

Watched it burn up overhead myself.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

FYI - that right there is why people are accusing you of being a Russian mouthpiece.

NOBODY in the west wants a war.    NOBODY is interested in fighting, and NOBODY is interested in sending troops to defend Ukraine.  They don’t want a war, and when the war starts they are going to leave Ukraine hanging out to dry, because they are not willing to fight.  Russia IS willing to fight, and Russia wants a war.  EVERYONE in the west is desperately and naively hoping there will not be a war.

Your statement is 100% pure Russian propaganda, nothing else.
View All Quotes

I just don't get why so many Americans are pushing for a war here.

FYI - that right there is why people are accusing you of being a Russian mouthpiece.

NOBODY in the west wants a war.    NOBODY is interested in fighting, and NOBODY is interested in sending troops to defend Ukraine.  They don’t want a war, and when the war starts they are going to leave Ukraine hanging out to dry, because they are not willing to fight.  Russia IS willing to fight, and Russia wants a war.  EVERYONE in the west is desperately and naively hoping there will not be a war.

I don't want a war, but I think a war where Russia loses badly is the only way to make this shit stop for a few more decades. Russia and the west will clash eventually, on this course. It's inevitable. Their ambitions threaten the west.

If that war happens, I want in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:53:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Number0neGun] [#39]

If that’s the plan, maybe we should send in Macron to negotiate…
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Number0neGun:

I just don't get why so many Americans are pushing for a war here.

I don't want a war, but I think a war where Russia loses badly is the only way to make this shit stop for a few more decades. Russia and the west will clash eventually, on this course. It's inevitable. Their ambitions threaten the west.

If that war happens, I want in.

If that’s the plan, maybe we should send in Macron to negotiate…

There are no good options.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:51:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Layer60:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Layer60:

Да пиздец
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

I believe this thing may be starting to wind down. They'll throw Putin a few crumbs to make him look like he's getting some minor concessions from the west so he can save face. And Putin will end up not invading, which he may not really be in much a of position to do anyway. The weather for the immediate future looks terrible, with well above freezing daytime temperatures and rain in the forecast, which make for enough Ukrainian mud to bog down anything. It also seems there are some cracks emerging in the Russian home front among military leaders who aren't overly crazy about the idea of launching an invasion of Ukraine.
View Quote

It may be that the troops and equipment in Belarus were never intended to be used. I don't think Putin ever planned on taking more than areas in the south. If they give him water for Crimea and recognize the independence of the so called breakaway regions, he'll pick up his toys and go home. Any mechanism that would delay consideration for NATO membership would seal the deal. He has goals but I don't think they include getting bogged down invading Ukraine.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#43]

Putin assembled SO large a force, more that half of ALL Russian ground forces, moving units from thousands miles, pushing an information operation that told a tale of Ukrainian Nazis

for water in Crimea, and a NATO membership restriction/situation that he already achieved in 2014?

That's a strange bluff. I suspect there might be other motives.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rca2222:

It may be that the troops and equipment in Belarus were never intended to be used. I don't think Putin ever planned on taking more than areas in the south. If they give him water for Crimea and recognize the independence of the so called breakaway regions, he'll pick up his toys and go home. Any mechanism that would delay consideration for NATO membership would seal the deal. He has goals but I don't think they include getting bogged down invading Ukraine.

Putin assembled SO large a force, more that half of ALL Russian ground forces, moving units from thousands miles, pushing an information operation that told a tale of Ukrainian Nazis

for water in Crimea, and a NATO membership restriction/situation that he already achieved in 2014?

There certainly may be other motives. Putin is many things but stupid isn't one of them.

My gut feeling is that he's overplayed his hand and now he's looking for a way out that lets him save face and claim a small trophy or three.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

care to wager?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#45]

It's all hypothetical right now.  Putin could return a few military units to their permanent bases and call it a deescalation and it would cost him nothing.

Putin has been negotiating with the EU all along.  The US was not involved in Normandy Format or Minsk Agreements, only France and Germany.

Here's the French view of things.  https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20220207-live-macron-in-moscow-in-push-for-diplomatic-solution-to-mounting-ukraine-crisis

View Quote
nothing is hypothetical about moving entire combat and supply units in masse thousands of miles and keeping them staged.
see my sigline

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#46]

There certainly may be other motives. Putin is many things but stupid isn't one of them.

My gut feeling is that he's overplayed his hand and now he's looking for a way out that lets him save face and claim a small trophy or three.

View All Quotes

What are your indicators that he's overplayed his hand and is looking for a way out?

From what I've seen he's still building up. Troops are leaving staging areas in the bigger towns in Russia and seem to be headed closer to the border. The North Sea ships are still headed towards the Black Sea. I haven't seen any indicators that he's scaling back.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Weren't they leaving there anyway?

Now do the Russia The Ukraine border
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:

What are your indicators that he's overplayed his hand and is looking for a way out?

From what I've seen he's still building up. Troops are leaving staging areas in the bigger towns in Russia and seem to be headed closer to the border. The North Sea ships are still headed towards the Black Sea. I haven't seen any indicators that he's scaling back.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:

For one, it wouldn't make sense for him to stop troop movement or start withdrawals if he's trying to gain concessions. He wouldn't be getting the attention he is now if he hadn't done what he's done so far. There's been analysis posted in this thread showing that it really isn't costing him as much as people suggest.

I think he underestimated the resolve of NATO, the EU, UK, and US in terms of their unwillingness to agree to his grandiose demands. Now he has to either invade or hope for some tasty crumbs that he can sell as a minor victory. He knows that an invasion would end badly politically, economically, militarily, and personally, so in a way his back may be against the wall.

In the end we're all speculating. Maybe the thread needs a poll and a few pmag side bets.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#49]
nothing is hypothetical about moving entire combat and supply units in masse thousands of miles and keeping them staged.
see my sigline

View All Quotes

see my sigline

I believe any reason put forth for Putin's action is hypothetical. All we know is what he is doing, not why.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By pivoproseem:
Someone needs to tell Ruslan Rokhov he has his scope mount backwards and not fully mounted on the receiver.
View Quote

Which picture?

Page / 5591
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top