Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3859 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UKjohn:
I do hope so and soon
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:

A biblical reckoning is coming to these sons of bitches.
I do hope so and soon

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

Yeah, he's posted almost the exact things verbatim on that forum, used racial slurs, and rooted for Ukrainians to get killed. Just put the troll/shill on ignore and move on.
View Quote

It's hard to tell the difference between actual Russian trolls and folks suffering from borderline personality disorder shit posting...but I must admit I find both equally amusing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

Abrams, Brads, M113s, and HMMWVs storming across the plains of Europe to smite Russians, just as God intended!
View Quote
Painted in green like armor should be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stgdz] [#4]
Originally Posted By Prime:
View Quote

Hey guys don't bomb the shit out of our country before this is over

Is what they are trying to say.  But wouldn't that be grand that th ukranians go on the offensive to eliminate Russians in Belarus and oops we hit a few key Belarus positions to overthrow their govt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

That is some seriously shitty decepticon work. Like when I was 7 and I built a mortar out of a 2x4 and some survey posts.
View Quote

Maybe the Russians used the same drones to identify himars and then looked at their decoys and said

Great job Yuri
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
If Russia wants a ceasefire so they can leave Ukraine entirely, then they should propose it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
It is exclusively Pro-Russians talking about this.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

This goes back to one of the foundational principles of the EU, which is to increase both efficiency and interdependence to create a "United States of Europe".  The EU bureaucrats decided that  the "best course" for Hungary was to focus on agricultural production over industry or anything else.  The Hungarians have been (rightly in my opinion) pushing back on this for at least 20 years.  I know it has been a source of friction between the EU and NATO, since it has retarded Hungary's ability to significantly upgrade it's military over the years, and has led to the functional abandonment of several bases that were considered important in NATO planning, Tazsar being the most prominent of these. This goes back to a core conflict between NATO and the EU, where the US and NATO want to boost the economies in the east to improve their overall military capabilities (which means a certain level of industrialization) while the EU tends to favor established producers (largely in the "core" EU) at the expense of eastern members, who have the greatest need and motivation to improve their military capabilities. This is further complicated by the fact that the "Core EU" countries have largely failed/refused to maintain and finance sufficient forces to address the the NATO threats to the East and South (not just Russia) and the NATO countries in the East cannot afford to build or have the capability to maintain these forces, with Poland being the exception.  In foreign relations, Hungary is in an odd position in that it is linguistically separate from all it's neighbors, and has traditionally associated the most with Austria, which is not even a member of NATO.  Additionally, I'm sure Hungarians would be quick to point out that prior to the invasion, Germany and France's foreign policies were at least equally pro-Russian, and the EU going the extra mile to piss off the Hungarians for not accepting the brilliance of EU social, economic and industrial central planning for the last couple of decades has not helped matters, and Hungary does not have the economic "cushion" of Western Europe to play stupid games with things like the German Energiewende, sudden 180-degree shifts in policy, or giving up weapons and equipment it needs and cannot produce internally or afford to replace.  Orban is probably a Putin puppet, but this does not change the fact that current Hungarian policy choices are the outcome of at least 20 years of some seriously flawed EU policies
View Quote

Thank you for your input as always!
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]

This is the part that makes me laugh the most.

Retards: "We shouldn't be the world's police!"

Also retards: "Why is China advancing around the globe unopposed and why are foreign nations losing respect for us?!?!"

View Quote

Isolationism is a fine theory but in practice it does not work on this planet, particularly at this time. The rest of the planet is not going to also abide by the isolationist policy. If we are not world police, a bunch of other places become invaders.
I guess it would be kind of like deciding we don't want cops or laws because we want to be left alone and leave other people alone. Other people would not leave us alone.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

View All Quotes

This goes back to one of the foundational principles of the EU, which is to increase both efficiency and interdependence to create a "United States of Europe".  The EU bureaucrats decided that  the "best course" for Hungary was to focus on agricultural production over industry or anything else.  The Hungarians have been (rightly in my opinion) pushing back on this for at least 20 years.  I know it has been a source of friction between the EU and NATO, since it has retarded Hungary's ability to significantly upgrade it's military over the years, and has led to the functional abandonment of several bases that were considered important in NATO planning, Tazsar being the most prominent of these. This goes back to a core conflict between NATO and the EU, where the US and NATO want to boost the economies in the east to improve their overall military capabilities (which means a certain level of industrialization) while the EU tends to favor established producers (largely in the "core" EU) at the expense of eastern members, who have the greatest need and motivation to improve their military capabilities. This is further complicated by the fact that the "Core EU" countries have largely failed/refused to maintain and finance sufficient forces to address the the NATO threats to the East and South (not just Russia) and the NATO countries in the East cannot afford to build or have the capability to maintain these forces, with Poland being the exception.  In foreign relations, Hungary is in an odd position in that it is linguistically separate from all it's neighbors, and has traditionally associated the most with Austria, which is not even a member of NATO.  Additionally, I'm sure Hungarians would be quick to point out that prior to the invasion, Germany and France's foreign policies were at least equally pro-Russian, and the EU going the extra mile to piss off the Hungarians for not accepting the brilliance of EU social, economic and industrial central planning for the last couple of decades has not helped matters, and Hungary does not have the economic "cushion" of Western Europe to play stupid games with things like the German Energiewende, sudden 180-degree shifts in policy, or giving up weapons and equipment it needs and cannot produce internally or afford to replace.  Orban is probably a Putin puppet, but this does not change the fact that current Hungarian policy choices are the outcome of at least 20 years of some seriously flawed EU policies

I am hoping more people will understand Hungarys perspective. It still doesn't excuse other parts like the farmer dude said but in the greater span of things....those power plants is the true prima Donna with Hungary.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Abrams, Brads, M113s, and HMMWVs storming across the plains of Europe to smite Russians, just as God intended!
View Quote

Amen brother! It gives me goose bumps thinking about it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#12]
fuck me , that's the winner
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
What is Taiwan's position on this no fly zone over their country?

China must have received permission from Taiwan
View Quote

"China is asshole"
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/F4802664-9C6B-4864-B710-EF6C9B869996-2779546.jpg
https://newsdig.tbs.co.jp/articles/-/430273

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FtgIWzwaEAA70kS?format=jpg&name=medium

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/73A82BDC-95AD-4A50-A407-8C204B3BBF9F-2779549.jpg
https://www.rfi.fr/fr/en-bref/20230412-p%C3%A9kin-%C3%A9tablira-une-zone-d-exclusion-a%C3%A9rienne-dimanche-au-nord-de-ta%C3%AFwan-pour-activit%C3%A9s-spatiales

I think Taiwan ought to seriously consider flying something in the no fly zone as a thumb in the eye to China.    Wouldn't be a bad thing if some aircraft off a US carrier did it too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

Carrot is usually cheaper than stick.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swede1986:

Fuck that, we need to put Orban's balls in a vice.

ok so put his carrot in a vice
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes

A biblical reckoning is coming to these sons of bitches.
I do hope so and soon

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/27E8032E-521B-4E86-A07A-F1533D32DE54-2779699.jpg

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

@DASJUDEN

Not much. Some politics, some purse swinging, the occasional pretty metal video of a turret toss, grenade drop, or artillery strike. Oh, and some speculation on the spring offensive.

The SMEs have been quiet, I guess because there isn't much new on the technical front that hasn't been explained before.

Welcome back though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Originally Posted By DASJUDEN:
So, without digging through the past 150 pages or so what did I miss in the last month?

@DASJUDEN

Not much. Some politics, some purse swinging, the occasional pretty metal video of a turret toss, grenade drop, or artillery strike. Oh, and some speculation on the spring offensive.

The SMEs have been quiet, I guess because there isn't much new on the technical front that hasn't been explained before.

Welcome back though.

wonder if dasjuden caught the trench Predator stuff?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Cannot wait for the epic footage.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
Anybody else having issues with this thread dropping off their subscriptions?
View Quote

Not me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

I could be wrong, before my time, but I thought during Desert Storm build up they built some Iraqi positions and stuff at NTC and wargamed against it.

If I was king for a day someone should have done something like that in Hohenfels or Graf or someplace and worked out some ideas.

Bottom line, and I'll keep this simple.

If the Russians aren't moving around, and the IC has a lot of collectors, like satellites and such, a lot of analysts, a lot of time, and a small sector, say a few miles square....and then a lot of HIMARs and Excal and a lot of smart munitions, they can precisely blow a hole through the line, and rip through.

If the Russians were smart they'd be camouflaging and moving and hiding.....but that requires brains and discipline and they have showed neither.
View Quote

They did. There was also a full 1 for 1 mockup of Bin Laden's compound at Campbell. When we do rehearsals we do it as realistically as possible. Personally I don't think storming Crimea is the way to do it without a shitload of preperatory fires and some sort of flanking element manouvering around the defenses (air assault/amphib) in order to split the defenses/fuck with the Russian fires planning. Even with half assed defense plan and low quality troops attacking on a ground front that narrow with enemy preplanned defenses/fires is going to be a bloodbath.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jhereg:

I think Taiwan ought to seriously consider flying something in the no fly zone as a thumb in the eye to China.    Wouldn't be a bad thing if some aircraft off a US carrier did it too.
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/F4802664-9C6B-4864-B710-EF6C9B869996-2779546.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/73A82BDC-95AD-4A50-A407-8C204B3BBF9F-2779549.jpg
https://www.rfi.fr/fr/en-bref/20230412-p%C3%A9kin-%C3%A9tablira-une-zone-d-exclusion-a%C3%A9rienne-dimanche-au-nord-de-ta%C3%AFwan-pour-activit%C3%A9s-spatiales

They are quietly making surprises.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/taiwan-shows-off-its-radar-killing-kamikaze-drones
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Cannot wait for the epic footage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FthwbPvXgAAufWl?format=png&name=medium
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ILfreedom:

Very good news. Russia can't counter this.
View Quote

Can you elaborate on this? Our stuff is not invincible so I don't think I get what you are saying.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#25]

It's hard to tell the difference between actual Russian trolls and folks suffering from borderline personality disorder shit posting...but I must admit I find both equally amusing.
View Quote

Yeah. No kidding. It's not just this forum. It seems like the farther right you go the higher the percentage of weird stuff like pro-russian views. Obviously the same for far left.
The russian troll farms are surprisingly extensive. I've found them on the political forums in tiny little gun forms in the dark corners of the internet.
Pro-russian right wingers is just weird.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#26]

They are quietly making surprises.
https://www.thedrive.com/uploads/2022/11/16/Chien-Hsiang-loitering-munition.jpg?auto=webp&crop=16%3A9&auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1920

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/taiwan-shows-off-its-radar-killing-kamikaze-drones

Unless they're planning on starting a shooting war that might be a bit extreme.     I was thinking more of a freedom of navigation type thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Hungary has for sure benefited from EU membership and commerce associated with it ... A BUNCH ... it is an Industry 4.0 hub in Europe as well as biotech and other STEM ... when I left in 1997 ... we had not really industry outside of ag ... now ... its a much more balanced setup ... Orban is not really a puppet to anybody EXCEPT to Hungary ... he is a fierce nationalist ... that is what Hungarians want ... always ... they do not want a globalist ... now where Orban really sucks is his foreign relations ... however that is because of history ... the West has back stabbed Hungary a lot during WWII and after ... so Hungary is Hungary and they want to make sure Hungary is taken care of first ...

The West could flipping lock down Europe hardcore against commies in Russia and China if they would embrace that ... but Hungary's and many other Eastern European countries NATO membership was done so as a blockage to Russia ... I think you will see a bigger cooperation between the V4 countries that any other former block countries in the near future ... with Poland leading the way ... and the Czechs being the backup QB ...
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#29]
More on the possible Ukrainian Summer offensive mentioned by the Ukrainian Prime Minister, more to read in Tweet.

View Quote

Which means it will happen in May ... disinformation is an art
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:

This is the problem and Hungary went with Russia because of the EU and US stance.

Hungary even went to Japan but Fukushima happened.

I'm not pulling a pity dick but I am trying to say what the position Hungary is in.

It sucks but my blame is on the EU and them being fucken assholes and the same for the US.

Japan was willing to work with us as Toshiba is pretty good and very westernized.

It's a lot of politics and in the end as I stated since this started.

Give Hungary good terms and they will turn.
View Quote

Yup.

I lived 20 minutes from Paks ...
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Isolationism is a fine theory but in practice it does not work on this planet, particularly at this time. The rest of the planet is not going to also abide by the isolationist policy. If we are not world police, a bunch of other places become invaders.
I guess it would be kind of like deciding we don't want cops or laws because we want to be left alone and leave other people alone. Other people would not leave us alone.
View All Quotes

This is the part that makes me laugh the most.

Retards: "We shouldn't be the world's police!"

Also retards: "Why is China advancing around the globe unopposed and why are foreign nations losing respect for us?!?!"

"Nature abhors a vacuum."
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Can you elaborate on this? Our stuff is not invincible so I don't think I get what you are saying.
View Quote

Our stuff isn't invincible. But it is vastly superior to Russia's T-72s and the even older junk they are dragging out of storage. Russia has already lost the bulk of their useful, serviceable tanks in Ukraine. And they simply don't have the means to produce enough new ones or to modify enough old ones to keep up with even 5% of the attrition rate. Every additional, modern western tank that arrives in Ukraine is an additional tank the Russians aren't prepared to meet on the battlefield. If a significant number are sent. they will likely end up being decisive.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Good point, and despite that we will try to sort it out here in this thread regardless.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By general_cluster:
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
This is Russian TASS news so...

https://tass.com/politics/1602435?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=smm_social_share

Newly formed Ukraine brigades need time to sort out comms, do company., battalion, and brigade battle drills prior to this offensive. Drill, drill, drill. They got some of these drills in training grounds in the UK and Germany but need more. Late May or June gives them time to put all the pieces into play.

My bet is still on a May offensive.

I understand that, but some of those guys have been training since January, every week is a bonus but everyone involved wanted to ready with everything by the end of March.

I definitely think we're into the mind games phase, where it could kick off anywhere from days to months. We're going to be flooded with disinformation about everything until after it kicks off. IMO, everyone knows it's coming so they're going to have to leverage misdirection and disinfo to the max to gain any advantage.

I think your spot on with that opinion.   I remember the first offensive Ukraine did and all we had was panicked Russian videos showing massive Ukrainian artillery use on front line command areas followed by Tanks.   We thought they were faked videos at first.

With generative AI, the possibilities for deception are truly endless.  Radio chatter, social media posts, signal emissions, even video.  When all those mediums coalesce around one message, it will be hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.  Dozens of traffic cameras matching cell phone videos matching will be hard to ignore even when a small number of trusted resources is saying something different.  

Good point, and despite that we will try to sort it out here in this thread regardless.

I was thinking the russians, but it applies to us as well.  I, for once, look forward to being as confused as i am deceived.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I know there are a lot of Tolkien references used with the Orcs and whatnot but to me the most apropos is "war is upon you whether you would wish it or not". People that act like shit wouldn't be immeasurably worse if we just hit the mattresses and didn't get involved anywhere else are retarded
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#35]

The Russian/Soviet/Russian Empire is responsible for the vast majority of hatred, death, and misery of the last hundred years.  I still, sincerely, hope for the spiritual salvation of the Russians involved in fighting this war, but the Russian Empire has to be smashed to pieces.

Thank you, the lowers are KE-15 polymer, A-1 length.  They’re the basis for the “WWSD” line of rifles and I like them a lot.  They also have OD and FDE versions.  Very reasonably priced too.
https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/ar-15-kp-15-stripped-lower-receivers-polymer/
Saves about 8-10oz over a standard complete lower receiver assembly if you do nothing else to save weight.  I have a couple more waiting to build out as true lightweight rifles after I finish this project.
View Quote

Please remove if this is not the place to mention it, but TN Arms Company also offers polymer lowers in a more traditional form-factor, and they are supposed to have very good reviews as well. I have no idea how they would hold up in combat, but I would sure like to find out!
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By apr67:

I would think its all in manuals, they would just need to find them and perhaps one old guy to tell you what's not in the manual.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By apr67:
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

If they could find enough people to get the propulsion plant operational. When they reactivated them in the 80s they had to bring in retirees who had ratings the Navy retired years before. I don’t think there are any BTs on Active Duty anymore….one of the things they got right in that “Battleship” movie was the only people they had who knew how to light off the boilers were long retired vets in their 60s - 80s.

I would think its all in manuals, they would just need to find them and perhaps one old guy to tell you what's not in the manual.

You underestimate the complexity of those old steam power plants. Even for the boilers, there is a whole host of systems that together makes it all work. The manuals have the basics, but there is a lot of institutional knowledge that doesn’t get in them. Some of the ratings that handled aspects of the plant were discontinued decades ago. They can pull MMs and EMs from boats, but IIRC the last conventional steam plant was on the Kitty Hawk, decommissioned in 2009. I’m sure they would be able to find some retired BTs who would leap at the chance to come back and light off boilers one more time, they will need them to train a crew to run them right. Great Lakes once had such a plant built on shore to train MMs and BTs, I doubt it’s still there now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Gun crew spots FPV drone diving on a Russian MT-LB with a roof mounted ZU-23 as they fire on Ukrainian trenches
MT-LB with ZU-23 Mounted Hit by FPV Near Zarichne

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BlackHoleSon:

I know there are a lot of Tolkien references used with the Orcs and whatnot but to me the most apropos is "war is upon you whether you would wish it or not". People that act like shit wouldn't be immeasurably worse if we just hit the mattresses and didn't get involved anywhere else are retarded
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackHoleSon:

This is very true.

Was listening to Mark Levin last evening while planting more fruit trees on my property and in his first hour he said he believes WW3 has started, whether the pacifist isolationist Republican want to admit it or believe it, and we weren't the ones that fired the opening shots, the enemy Axis is. That Ukraine is the opening shots as the Sudetenland was in WW2.

I don't know if he's right but, he certainly has the potential to be.

As I was just discussing in the "not enough weapons for China" thread, this is culmination of over three decades of shitty national leadership.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Currently, the situation in the Northern operational zone allows not only to constantly strengthen the defense, but also to engage purposefully in the acquisition of military skills by servicemen.
An obstacle course has been built, provides comprehensive training for two or three units at once and includes action as part of the unit. In particular, department commanders acquire management and leadership skills here, and their subordinate servicemen practice running in tanks, deploying in combat formations, and overcoming various obstacles that simulate real combat operations.

Together we will win!

@SerhiyNaiev

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Very near miss.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Isolationism is one of the stupidest ideas in American politics. That was true in the 1930s. It is equally true today.

Either we use our wealth, power and global influence to help shape the world we live in, or we sit back and allow China and Russia to do it, then be forced to react to a world shaped in someone else's favor.

The U.S. certainly isn't perfect and doesn't have a perfect track record when it comes to world affairs. But I damn sure prefer a world where we are the guiding force over one dominated by China, Russia, Iran, North Korea and other fucktarded, oppressive regimes. It is no different than being actively involved in shaping our local neighborhoods. If the locals allow the shitheads within a community to set the tone, then the whole neighborhood becomes a shithole. Sometimes it is necessary to stand up to shitheads, be it the local thug selling Fentanyl on the streets to the thug in charge of a foreign nation that behaves in a similar manner to the drug dealer, just on a larger scale. Evil flourishes when good people do nothing and allow it to happen.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Regarding the timing of the Ukrainian counter offensive, I'd have to agree with the yahoo article of later May or early June. Looking at the list of items going, it will take time to get them there and staged in Ukraine. Drier weather is also a factor.

Most likely a feint will happen to get Russia to commit their armored reserve to a fake axis while the main attack occurs elsewhere. Night attacks to take advantage of superior thermal and optics of western armor. More time to practice night attacks which are tricky even if you train for them.

I've noticed very little use of smoke to obscure movement. I'd expect that to change in this offensive. Thermal vision can see through smoke. Not quite as useful with drone observation around but very useful for protection when clearing minefields against the ATGM threat.

View Quote

No telling when things will or have actually arrive, but they do need to wait for a strong contingent rather than attack too soon.

I don’t see the Russians have much ability to regroup and improve except on more barriers. Their logistics is crap, they are low on supplies, they do not have large replacement capability of armor. I assume the offensive is planning for lots of barriers so that is not a huge issue either.

As long as the UA defense can keep holding the line and prevent major breakthroughs they have time to get deliveries and prep.

It will be interesting to see how maneuverable Russian forces are in areas they have turned to rubble and the fact they are so dependent on rail.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Isolationism is one of the stupidest ideas in American politics. That was true in the 1930s. It is equally true today.

Either we use our wealth, power and global influence to help shape the world we live in, or we sit back and allow China and Russia to do it, then be forced to react to a world shaped in someone else's favor.

The U.S. certainly isn't perfect and doesn't have a perfect track record when it comes to world affairs. But I damn sure prefer a world where we are the guiding force over one dominated by China, Russia, Iran, North Korea and other fucktarded, oppressive regimes. It is no different than being actively involved in shaping our local neighborhoods. If the locals allow the shitheads within a community to set the tone, then the whole neighborhood becomes a shithole. Sometimes it is necessary to stand up to shitheads, be it the local thug selling Fentanyl on the streets to the thug in charge of a foreign nation that behaves in a similar manner to the drug dealer, just on a larger scale. Evil flourishes when good people do nothing and allow it to happen.
View Quote

For years China has been telling us exactly what they plan to do, and we've sat back and WATCHED.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

Looks more like Hungary has been trying to play both sides in the short term, with poor regard for the long term.   Nobody respects an “ally” like that.

You want to jump in Warsaw Pact v2.0, knock yourself out… just don’t suck up to Putin then make overtures about how you “remember the past”, and how you’re an opponent to them later.
View Quote

I think the Hungarians remember and hate the Russians plenty. How much of their current policy is an Orban thing or an "average Hungarians" view of things, I can't really say.

I will say that EU policies, especially around immigration and agriculture have periodically cropped up as points of dispute in many other EU countries. I just think that energy is so fundamental to the economy, and Hungary is not such a big place, that it is having an outsize effect on their politics.

If you are ever in Budapest, the "House of Terror" sometimes referred to as the "dual occupation museum" is an incredible and sobering place. The Hungarians really got a raw deal in the 20th century.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Agree. When I think about the history of WWII, maybe the only people that got a raw deal as badly as Poland, if not worse, was Hungary.

We need to work twice as hard to give them good reasons to side with us (and I bet American companies and technologies could profit from that, if the main Euro economies of France and Germany won't look past their own wallets).
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#48]
❗️The Washington Post has published satellite images of large-scale defensive positions of the Russian Armed Forces, equipped on the Crimean Peninsula recently.

For obvious reasons, the largest positions are mainly built in the north of Crimea: near Lake Sivash near the village of Medvedovka (next to the former Chongar checkpoint), as well as along the North Crimean Canal near Armyansk, the villages of Maslovo and Novoivanovka.

However, positions are also being built in the west of Crimea, in particular, on the coast near the village of Vitino. There, in addition to the standard trenches, bunkers, caponiers and "dragon's teeth", you can see artillery pieces already brought to direct fire.

Thus, it can be stated that the Russian command has abandoned the veil of illusions and, against the background of the coming enemy counteroffensive, is building a competent echeloned defense of the peninsula, which also includes positions on the coast and in the depths of the peninsula. And the North Crimean Canal, following the example of the Ingulets River or the Seversky Donets, is planned to be used as a natural defensive barrier.

@milinfolive

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

The gun sight and drone video footage which is going to come out of this is going into the spank banks of every Armor crewman and Cavalry trooper for the next 20 years.

The fabled GWI "through and through" sabot shots? We're going to have those in thermal view and HD in quality.

It's going to look like a pit bull that got ahold of a toddler.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#50]

I agree. I think Orban has personal animosity towards Zelensky and maybe Ukraine in general on top of all the legitimate concerns Hungary has with the EU. Maybe he also assumed that a quick Russian victory would be followed by very favorable terms for the Hungarian minorities in Ukraine. As an ethnic Hungarian who supports Orban in domestic policies, I am very frustrated by his stupid games over Ukraine.
View All Quotes

I think you can make an argument for interests-driven decision making before the war.  EU slow-rolling a nuke reactor but Russia agrees to help?  OK fair enough.
Wanting to keep Soros’ dirty mitts of their internal politics?  OK, Poland has done the same and incurred some of the same grief over it.
Poland has also done everything possible since to help Ukraine and cooperate with NATO.
Turkey has played hardball over their political and financial interests too.  But they have also provided quite significant military aid, a lot of it off the radar.  They play hardball, they get (some of) what they want, and then they cooperate.
Hungary continues to refuse aid, refuses even the transit of aid, and has repeatedly tried to block military and financial aid within the EU.
I actually don’t have a problem with hardball quid pro quo politics.  But we aren’t seeing that.  We’re seeing obstructionism which is not tied to fulfillment of quid pro quo demands, and that raises pretty significant questions about Orban’s motives.
I watch a fair amount of EU/NATO press content on youtube, and Stoltenberg recently made pretty clear reference to “getting Hungary’s concerns for minority rights addressed” or words to that effect.  So NATO/the EU appears to be interested in playing ball with Orban for his domestic political goals.  Will Orban reciprocate?  I doubt it.
I’m not well versed in the politics of Hungary’s nuke plant saga.  However I read through this link and it certainly doesn’t paint a black and white picture of EU stonewalling/Russia helping.  If anything it raises strong questions of Russia using both energy and money for political leverage against Hungary and Europe.  Which of course is the same boat that Germany was in, but Germany has largely bailed out of that and Hungary…hasn’t.
https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-g-n/hungary.aspx
I reject the idea that “Orban may just think that everything will back to normal in a few months.”  Only an absolute moron would think that at this point, and Orban is not a moron.  The escalation of Russian barbarism and war crimes and the demand for war crimes trials and reparations will prevent any rapprochement with Europe for years if not decades.
We aren’t party to the reasoning behind a sanctions threat - yet.

I agree. I think Orban has personal animosity towards Zelensky and maybe Ukraine in general on top of all the legitimate concerns Hungary has with the EU. Maybe he also assumed that a quick Russian victory would be followed by very favorable terms for the Hungarian minorities in Ukraine. As an ethnic Hungarian who supports Orban in domestic policies, I am very frustrated by his stupid games over Ukraine.

Orban would have been wise to emulate the successes of Poland. Maybe piggyback off some of their moves.

If independence is a high priority for them and being a small country nukes are a bad path. It is a wonderful baseline generation capability but the technology and fuel are highly controlled by larger countries. Also, large Nuke plants like the Russian ones are not the answer. If they pursue nuclear power the French approach if more numerous and smaller plants is much better.

Located near the ME they could have multi-supplier options with natural gas. It is clean and the generation can be quickly ramped up or down to meet demand.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3859 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top