Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3861 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

SGA had some Bulgarian ones a few years back.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
To be fair, any soldier would cut down trees to keep warm in the winter. But Russia still assoe.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Capta:
SOON
https://i.imgur.com/CcxjBdO.jpg

Close to done.  Need to install front sight posts.  Waiting on three more Magpul QD sling swivel mounts.   Need one more A2 trapdoor buttplate.  Might put something grippy/insulating on the top rail.  Tried out Magpul AFG, Magpul RVG, and BCM KAG, rejected all of them.  Right or wrong I think the more stuff is hanging off the rifle the more likely it is to get ripped off at some point.  And it adds weight.
Technical question for those with experience with IR lasers.  I have a 3-slot picatinny rail at the 3-o'clock for a potential IR laser mount.  Is this going to be sufficient to hold zero?  Do I need something longer like 5-slot, or is top rail really the best option?
Biggest remaining challenge is the FSB pins.  On three of the four Delton barrels they oversized the holes for the FSB pins.  The pins came out very easily but when reassembled they do not fully tighten the FSB even driven flat.  Need to order oversize pins.  If anyone has a line on these let me know.  The fourth was a bitch to get the pins out and tightened up just fine when reassembled.  Data point on Delton barrels FWIW.
Will try to do a “tip to butt” tour if anyone’s interested.  Also need to organize and show the accessory/spares package.
Also tried one with an AP T2 and it feels awesome!  7 pounds 6oz all up with empty mag vs 7 pounds 12oz with PRO.  Wish I could send them with AP Duty RDS, but I had the PROs and the extra money isn’t in the cards.
View Quote

Those look great, like mini m16's.

May have to copy that build for myself
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Picture essay:

Fighting in trenches: Life at Ukraine's front line

https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/fighting-in-trenches-life-at-ukraines-fr-idUSRTSI1FA0
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]

So a Ukrainian officer ostensibly wrote something in Polish?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Assault guardsmen getting ready to hunt the ruzzki terorrists
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m35ben] [#8]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

So a Ukrainian officer ostensibly wrote something in Polish?
View Quote
I'm not sure what language it is.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I hear a lot of Russians say “Souka”, when something happens. What does it mean?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:44:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#11]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
To be fair, any soldier would cut down trees to keep warm in the winter. But Russia still assoe.
View Quote

To be fair, no, they would not.

You don't defoliate the trees in front of your position to clear sectors of fire.  You clear the underbrush, and maybe a few trees, for camouflage from the air, unless you have total air superiority and don't give a shit, which these Rus don't. So you defoliate the trees around you and now the recon guys will go over the area with a fine tooth comb to find you.  Not well thought out.

If disciplined soldiers cut down tees they use it to fortify their positions, not build bonfires.  One leaves you cold and alive, the other temporarily warm and dead.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: voyager3] [#12]
Originally Posted By j_hooker:
I hear a lot of Russians say “Souka”, when something happens. What does it mean?
View Quote

Literally it means "bitch" but it is often used simply as parasitic swear word like f*ck in English by people not good at forming long coherent phrases. Because of the Cyrillic spelling "сука", you may have seen the more emphatic curse written as "cyka blyat".
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:54:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#13]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
SOON

Close to done.  Need to install front sight posts.  Waiting on three more Magpul QD sling swivel mounts.   Need one more A2 trapdoor buttplate.  Might put something grippy/insulating on the top rail.  Tried out Magpul AFG, Magpul RVG, and BCM KAG, rejected all of them.  Right or wrong I think the more stuff is hanging off the rifle the more likely it is to get ripped off at some point.  And it adds weight.
Technical question for those with experience with IR lasers.  I have a 3-slot picatinny rail at the 3-o'clock for a potential IR laser mount.  Is this going to be sufficient to hold zero?  Do I need something longer like 5-slot, or is top rail really the best option?
Biggest remaining challenge is the FSB pins.  On three of the four Delton barrels they oversized the holes for the FSB pins.  The pins came out very easily but when reassembled they do not fully tighten the FSB even driven flat.  Need to order oversize pins.  If anyone has a line on these let me know.  The fourth was a bitch to get the pins out and tightened up just fine when reassembled.  Data point on Delton barrels FWIW.
Will try to do a “tip to butt” tour if anyone’s interested.  Also need to organize and show the accessory/spares package.
Also tried one with an AP T2 and it feels awesome!  7 pounds 6oz all up with empty mag vs 7 pounds 12oz with PRO.  Wish I could send them with AP Duty RDS, but I had the PROs and the extra money isn’t in the cards.

TY!  Need to round some some M7 Bayonets.
Like I said my biggest change would ideally be a Micro RDS.  After that I think you could find a lighter rail.  The Midwest nightfighter rail is pretty stoutly made and the barrel nut is like 2.5” long.  Also pretty affordable compared to some options.  I’m not in a position to say that it’s objectively better than a lighter rail for LAM mounting.  However even a somewhat heavy rail the rifle is fairly lightweight with a T2.  Very nice handing, but somewhat muzzle-heavy.
I think irons are the right choice for the situation.  The only way I would go no irons is with an ACOG/RDS combo.

Had a long phone conversation with the program rep and I will be moving forward.  Later tonight or maybe tomorrow I’ll put together a summary and will begin contacting interested persons with all the information for them to decide for themselves.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Prime:
View Quote

"I'll put that on my to do list"

As a fleet mechanic I might have said that a few times.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:06:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j_hooker] [#15]
Originally Posted By voyager3:

Literally it means "bitch" but it is often used simply as parasitic swear word like f*ck in English by people not good at forming long coherent phrases. Because of the Cyrillic spelling "сука", you may have seen the more emphatic curse written as "cyka blyat".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By voyager3:

Thanks and I appreciate the explanation
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I hear a lot of Russians say "Souka", when something happens. What does it mean?
View Quote

Suka Blyat - 5 Main Russian Swear Words Explained in English
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#19]
View Quote

It's part of an interesting emerging pattern though. Russian puppets urging peace and negotiations, Russia themselves upping the rhetoric and bringing back the nuke threats, and Russian bots / trolls going hyperactive pushing any old nonsense and sometimes rehashing months old disinformation.

Makes me think Russia is very worried about what is coming.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:

I’ve got one somewhere. It’s cracked at the top.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:36:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: planemaker] [#21]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

Maybe they could set up some drones to home in on emitters, like a HARM.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tiberius:
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
This may have already been posted. But this article says that Mavic drones won't be useful at all in 2 to 3 months due to Russia EW working better. Instead of being able to fly 3km they can now only work at best 500 meters.

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-now-effectively-counters-commercial-180000421.html

Maybe they could set up some drones to home in on emitters, like a HARM.

There are COTS amplifiers available to boost signal strength to a point where the rooskie EW would be ineffective. I'd be more concerned about the batteries after constant use. They're only good for a while, particularly when you're making multiple flights a day on them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I said over a month ago, If not Bakhmut then where. I believe the defenders of Bakhmut will go down in history as those warriors who held the line and gave Ukraine the time to equip themselves with western weapons and troops trained to use them. They have bled the enemy very well and have lost alot themselves. Much as the defenders at Astovol steel plant. Sometimes you just have to hold. There is so much going on that we do not know.

All the talk of the spring offensive, kinda like death or the return of Christ...No man knows the hour, and those that say they do are leading you away. I personally believe the "leaked documents" are alot of BS, otherwise our 3 letter agencies would have hung someone out to dry, let alone the true and righteous anger and fury of Ukraine, They would have let the world know who it was.

The studies and books that will be written will throw alot of us upside down when really learn the truth. Its amazing watching the world hang on every bit of disinformation. The Ukes have become masters of disinformation and with our help , are shaping the next battlefields.

Already so much that we thought of the mighty soviet army has turned out to be crap, I personally hope that there are real War Crime trials and punishments, Orcs who rape, steal, kill and behead people need to pay.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K0UA] [#25]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Isolationism is something we have tried as a nation, and failed miserably at, throughout our history.   "Isolationism" and "Not going off half-cocked everywhere as some kind of self-appointed World Police" are two different things.  Ukraine, though our policy is far from perfect, is probably one of the best applications of American military/diplomatic/economic power in the last 20 years.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Isolationism is one of the stupidest ideas in American politics. That was true in the 1930s. It is equally true today.

Either we use our wealth, power and global influence to help shape the world we live in, or we sit back and allow China and Russia to do it, then be forced to react to a world shaped in someone else's favor.

The U.S. certainly isn't perfect and doesn't have a perfect track record when it comes to world affairs. But I damn sure prefer a world where we are the guiding force over one dominated by China, Russia, Iran, North Korea and other fucktarded, oppressive regimes. It is no different than being actively involved in shaping our local neighborhoods. If the locals allow the shitheads within a community to set the tone, then the whole neighborhood becomes a shithole. Sometimes it is necessary to stand up to shitheads, be it the local thug selling Fentanyl on the streets to the thug in charge of a foreign nation that behaves in a similar manner to the drug dealer, just on a larger scale. Evil flourishes when good people do nothing and allow it to happen.

Isolationism is something we have tried as a nation, and failed miserably at, throughout our history.   "Isolationism" and "Not going off half-cocked everywhere as some kind of self-appointed World Police" are two different things.  Ukraine, though our policy is far from perfect, is probably one of the best applications of American military/diplomatic/economic power in the last 20 years.

Agreed to both quotes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
ISW assessment for April 12th.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-12-2023
View Quote

Great domestic coverage in that one.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Charles Michel: Europe warming up to Macron’s ‘strategic autonomy’ push away from US
European Council president says EU cannot ‘blindly, systematically follow’ Washington.

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-warming-up-to-macrons-strategic-autonomy-push-says-charles-michel/

BRUSSELS — European leaders are becoming increasingly favorable toward French President Emmanuel Macron's push for "strategic autonomy" away from the United States, European Council boss Charles Michel said Tuesday.

As controversy swells around Macron's comments that Europe should resist pressure to become "America’s followers," Michel suggested that the French politician’s position was not isolated among EU leaders. While Macron spoke as the French president, his views reflect a growing shift among EU leaders, Michel said.

"There has been a leap forward on strategic autonomy compared to several years ago," Michel told French television show La Faute à l'Europe (which has a partnership with POLITICO) in an interview set to air on Wednesday.

"On the issue of the relationship with the United States, it's clear that there can be nuances and sensitivities around the table of the European Council. Some European leaders wouldn't say things the same way that Emmanuel Macron did ... I think quite a few really think like Emmanuel Macron."

Following a trip last week to China with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, Macron told POLITICO and French newspaper Les Echos that Europe had to limit its dependency on the United States and avoid getting pulled into "crises that are not ours."

"There is indeed a great attachment that remains present — and Emmanuel Macron has said nothing else — for this alliance with the United States. But if this alliance with the United States would suppose that we blindly, systematically follow the position of the United States on all issues, no," Michel said.

-->US helping Europe with Ukraine is not likely to be reciprocated by the EU helping the US with Taiwan

I'm still 100% on the Fuck Russia, ATACMS for Ukraine lifestyle. But it's important to realize EU fondness of the US due to our support for Ukraine is already waning.

Outside of Britain, we really don't have any allies we can count on in Europe. We should be doing more to strengthen the British economically (such as granting them a NAFTA level access to the US market) and Militarily (say getting them discounted munitions and tech.)
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck Macron and all his cronie asshole buddies. Without us there would be no Europe.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jhereg:

I think Taiwan ought to seriously consider flying something in the no fly zone as a thumb in the eye to China.    Wouldn't be a bad thing if some aircraft off a US carrier did it too.
View Quote

Or, maybe a balloon....
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

Hey guys don't bomb the shit out of our country before this is over

Is what they are trying to say.  But wouldn't that be grand that th ukranians go on the offensive to eliminate Russians in Belarus and oops we hit a few key Belarus positions to overthrow their govt.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stgdz:

Hey guys don't bomb the shit out of our country before this is over

Is what they are trying to say.  But wouldn't that be grand that th ukranians go on the offensive to eliminate Russians in Belarus and oops we hit a few key Belarus positions to overthrow their govt.

It's also been posted where Lukashenko asked Russia to defend Belarus "as if it were Russian territory," adding emphasis to that whole "union state" push to erase Belarus sovereignty. Any sign of Belarussians going against that?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Charles Michel: Europe warming up to Macron’s ‘strategic autonomy’ push away from US
European Council president says EU cannot ‘blindly, systematically follow’ Washington.

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-warming-up-to-macrons-strategic-autonomy-push-says-charles-michel/

BRUSSELS — European leaders are becoming increasingly favorable toward French President Emmanuel Macron's push for "strategic autonomy" away from the United States, European Council boss Charles Michel said Tuesday.

As controversy swells around Macron's comments that Europe should resist pressure to become "America’s followers," Michel suggested that the French politician’s position was not isolated among EU leaders. While Macron spoke as the French president, his views reflect a growing shift among EU leaders, Michel said.

"There has been a leap forward on strategic autonomy compared to several years ago," Michel told French television show La Faute à l'Europe (which has a partnership with POLITICO) in an interview set to air on Wednesday.

"On the issue of the relationship with the United States, it's clear that there can be nuances and sensitivities around the table of the European Council. Some European leaders wouldn't say things the same way that Emmanuel Macron did ... I think quite a few really think like Emmanuel Macron."

Following a trip last week to China with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, Macron told POLITICO and French newspaper Les Echos that Europe had to limit its dependency on the United States and avoid getting pulled into "crises that are not ours."

"There is indeed a great attachment that remains present — and Emmanuel Macron has said nothing else — for this alliance with the United States. But if this alliance with the United States would suppose that we blindly, systematically follow the position of the United States on all issues, no," Michel said.

-->US helping Europe with Ukraine is not likely to be reciprocated by the EU helping the US with Taiwan

I'm still 100% on the Fuck Russia, ATACMS for Ukraine lifestyle. But it's important to realize EU fondness of the US due to our support for Ukraine is already waning.

Outside of Britain, we really don't have any allies we can count on in Europe. We should be doing more to strengthen the British economically (such as granting them a NAFTA level access to the US market) and Militarily (say getting them discounted munitions and tech.)
View Quote

Hence Bush II and Trump wanting to make deals with Eastern Europe ("New Europe" in Rumsfeld's words") outside of NATO.  France was the first NATO country to establish diplomatic relations with Red China (1964), and the Germans have not been our friends since Helmut Kohl left office not long after the Berlin Wall came down.  The entire purpose of expanding the European Community to the European Union in 1994 was to challenge US dominance in the Post-Cold War era.  Just as Hungary is looking out for #1, so is Western Europe.  France and Germany are looking our for a Europe after Russia has been crippled militarily and economically and is no longer an overwhelming threat to France and Germany.  If you don't think the Europeans will undermine US interests for their own benefit, you have not been paying attention to US/European economic and diplomatic history since roughly 1968.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

This is coming from ignorance and not trying to be provocative. BUT, since the USA has MUCH more and better GLMRS, MLRS, and every other type of fires, why do we need an Air Force? Is it only for that remaining 5% that the precision fires cannot cover or something else. Or is the Air Force just to cover our immense force projection far from home? Are we rapidly approaching the point where manned aircraft are replaced with drones and super precise missiles?

Personally I think Ukraine needs the F16 urgently since Russia is still flying lots of jets. And ATACMs...I guess if they could get only one, probably ATACMs would be the most efficient and cheapest option by far.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

This is what every other commentator I have read/heard has said: for what Ukraine needs most for their upcoming offensive, they can do 95% of what really needs doing without F-16s at all. They have air defenses to keep the worst Russian air attacks away, and GLMRS, Excalibur, and other artillery can reach to the depth necessary to support an offensive just fine, for a fraction of the cost of any aircraft.

I still think they should be leaning forward and at least getting the pilots trained, but it will take YEARS before Ukrainian pilots are flying and supporting F16s from home soil.

This is coming from ignorance and not trying to be provocative. BUT, since the USA has MUCH more and better GLMRS, MLRS, and every other type of fires, why do we need an Air Force? Is it only for that remaining 5% that the precision fires cannot cover or something else. Or is the Air Force just to cover our immense force projection far from home? Are we rapidly approaching the point where manned aircraft are replaced with drones and super precise missiles?

Personally I think Ukraine needs the F16 urgently since Russia is still flying lots of jets. And ATACMs...I guess if they could get only one, probably ATACMs would be the most efficient and cheapest option by far.

Delivering freedom around the globe requires an airforce. I imagine B21's flying out of the continental US dropping LRASM's into the South China Sea will be key to the US stopping an invasion of Taiwan, especially if our naval forces and bases in the region get Pearl Harbored by a few hundred ballistic missiles.

But for smaller countries trying to defend their borders, I absolutely think HIMARS and other guided missile trucks + SAM systems + drones could replace most of their airforce, and would give a lot more bang for the buck.

Romania for example is getting 8X F35s. They probably would be better off with 8x $F35's worth of HIMARS and NASAMS.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Is Europe’s all of a sudden going to start fielding more than 5 working aircraft and 10 tanks? Lol, they will be on the US teat long after Macron is dead of old age.’
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:17:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#34]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

It's also been posted where Lukashenko asked Russia to defend Belarus "as if it were Russian territory," adding emphasis to that whole "union state" push to erase Belarus sovereignty. Any sign of Belarussians going against that?
View Quote

ETA- I realize now you’re talking domestic Belarus.

Article from two days ago in Belarus (BY), which doesn’t seem that remarkable to me as an outsider. Seems like Lukashenko wants it in writing or something.

But then there’s this odd detail- the BY Embassy here in these United States with this.

Almost like they’re haggling for something. It’s like a domestic call where Russia’s like “come back inside, let’s talk about it” and Belarus is in the street finger wagging saying ”oh no, we’ll talk about it NOW”.

It’s probably nothing, but what countries say and which embassies they say it from is usually pretty calculated.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Faggotry. Should be a missile.
View All Quotes

Faggotry. Should be a missile.

I'm sure there will be a rocket-assisted version in the near future... RA-LRMP
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

It's a pity they didnt feel that way during WWI and WWII of and Vietnam. So when the next group of assholes is kicking France's ass, they will then rekindle their feelings of closeness with the USA? And who the fuck asked them or anyone to blindly follow US? They want to be China's bitch instead of USA's allies? Ok then.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Considering the fact that the Ukrainian tend to integrate what appear to be higher-quality infantry  formations with tanks, my guess is that the lifespan of these "special scout RPG-7 teams" will be Nasty, Brutish, and Short.  Knowing what I know about STINGER ambush tactics, the goal is to "shoot and scoot".  Reengaging multiple times against a single ground target in the proximity of trained and experienced enemy infantry as a repetitive tactic seems to have a few obstacles to overcome on the way being a successful TTP for the Orcs.
View All Quotes
Cannot wait for the epic footage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FthwbPvXgAAufWl?format=png&name=medium

Considering the fact that the Ukrainian tend to integrate what appear to be higher-quality infantry  formations with tanks, my guess is that the lifespan of these "special scout RPG-7 teams" will be Nasty, Brutish, and Short.  Knowing what I know about STINGER ambush tactics, the goal is to "shoot and scoot".  Reengaging multiple times against a single ground target in the proximity of trained and experienced enemy infantry as a repetitive tactic seems to have a few obstacles to overcome on the way being a successful TTP for the Orcs.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#38]

ETA- I realize now you’re talking domestic Belarus.

Article from two days ago in Belarus (BY), which doesn’t seem that remarkable to me as an outsider. Seems like Lukashenko wants it in writing or something.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/F7EDFF62-DD93-4C9E-8727-E8324F61B8F6-2780461.jpg

But then there’s this odd detail- the BY Embassy here in these United States with this.

Almost like they’re haggling for something. It’s like a domestic call where Russia’s like “come back inside, let’s talk about it” and Belarus is in the street finger wagging saying ”oh no, we’ll talk about it NOW”.

It’s probably nothing, but what countries say and which embassies they say it from is usually pretty calculated.  

View Quote

To me it sounds like Belarus is telling Russia..."OK, we went along with your stupid invasion that stirred up the whole world against us and turned Ukraine into a giant hate-filled, raging enemy, all while you got your asses kicked so you better step up when they come HERE looking for payback"...or something more diplomatic...
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Russia jamming U.S. smart bombs in Ukraine, leaked docs say
A separate technical problem, since fixed, had been causing the munitions to fail.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/12/russia-jamming-u-s-smart-bombs-in-ukraine-leaked-docs-say-00091600

American-made smart bombs are falling victim to Russian electronic jamming in Ukraine, causing them to miss their targets, according to leaked documents and confirmed by a Defense Department official.

In some cases, the weapons were also failing to detonate due to a technical issue, which Ukrainian troops have since addressed.

The Pentagon in December began sending Kyiv advanced equipment that could convert unguided air-dropped munitions into precision-guided “smart bombs” that can hit Russian targets with a higher degree of accuracy.

The guided bombs can be launched by a variety of aircraft such as bombers and fighters, and are called Joint Direct Attack Munitions or JDAMs. The longer-range version being sent to Ukraine is called a JDAM-Extended Range, or JDAM-ER.

But the weapons have experienced higher-than-expected dud rates and have missed their targets on the battlefield, according to a leaked slide prepared by the Joint Staff and confirmed by a U.S. official, who was granted anonymity to discuss a sensitive issue.

In some cases, the bomb fuzes were not arming when they were released, causing the weapon to fail to detonate. The Ukrainian air force put in place a fix to ensure the bombs are arming correctly, according to the slide and the official.

A larger problem is that Russia is using GPS jamming to interfere with the weapons’ targeting process, according to the slide and a separate person familiar with the issue who’s not in the U.S. government. American officials believe Russian jamming is causing the JDAMs, and at times other American weapons such as guided rockets, to miss their mark.

“I do think there may be concern that the Russians may be jamming the signal used to direct the JDAMs, which would answer why these munitions are not performing in the manner expected and how they perform in other war zones,” said Mick Mulroy a former Pentagon official and retired CIA officer.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

I'm sure there will be a rocket-assisted version in the near future... RA-LRMP
View Quote

At some point by the time it’s loaded into a cannon it’ll be almost missile length.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:44:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#41]
A separate technical problem, since fixed, had been causing the munitions to fail.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/12/russia-jamming-u-s-smart-bombs-in-ukraine-leaked-docs-say-00091600

American-made smart bombs are falling victim to Russian electronic jamming in Ukraine, causing them to miss their targets, according to leaked documents and confirmed by a Defense Department official.

In some cases, the weapons were also failing to detonate due to a technical issue, which Ukrainian troops have since addressed.

The Pentagon in December began sending Kyiv advanced equipment that could convert unguided air-dropped munitions into precision-guided "smart bombs" that can hit Russian targets with a higher degree of accuracy.

The guided bombs can be launched by a variety of aircraft such as bombers and fighters, and are called Joint Direct Attack Munitions or JDAMs. The longer-range version being sent to Ukraine is called a JDAM-Extended Range, or JDAM-ER.

But the weapons have experienced higher-than-expected dud rates and have missed their targets on the battlefield, according to a leaked slide prepared by the Joint Staff and confirmed by a U.S. official, who was granted anonymity to discuss a sensitive issue.

In some cases, the bomb fuzes were not arming when they were released, causing the weapon to fail to detonate. The Ukrainian air force put in place a fix to ensure the bombs are arming correctly, according to the slide and the official.

A larger problem is that Russia is using GPS jamming to interfere with the weapons' targeting process, according to the slide and a separate person familiar with the issue who's not in the U.S. government. American officials believe Russian jamming is causing the JDAMs, and at times other American weapons such as guided rockets, to miss their mark.

"I do think there may be concern that the Russians may be jamming the signal used to direct the JDAMs, which would answer why these munitions are not performing in the manner expected and how they perform in other war zones," said Mick Mulroy a former Pentagon official and retired CIA officer.

View Quote

This is a welcome finding. Hopefully they can overcome the jamming to return to full functionality of the Jdams. This is a big tip of the cards by Russia.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#42]

For the kind of money involved, should still be a missile.
View All Quotes

lol.  There are other options, I like the ram jet powered 155mm personally.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-8c5bfddd89f1e031f21ff5c9e150ac5a-lq

For the kind of money involved, should still be a missile.

Seemed like a cool way to make a ships 5"/127mm gun a lot more viable.

Those little guided glide shells might not bust a warship, but would work great for disabling blockade running containerships (shot to the bridge?) or disable some of the 'maritime militia' boats China uses.

Or just be used as filler to overwhelm enemy air defenses.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
This may have already been posted. But this article says that Mavic drones won't be useful at all in 2 to 3 months due to Russia EW working better. Instead of being able to fly 3km they can now only work at best 500 meters.

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-now-effectively-counters-commercial-180000421.html
View Quote

That would be bad.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Like I said my biggest change would ideally be a Micro RDS.  After that I think you could find a lighter rail.  The Midwest nightfighter rail is pretty stoutly made and the barrel nut is like 2.5” long.  Also pretty affordable compared to some options.  I’m not in a position to say that it’s objectively better than a lighter rail for LAM mounting.  However even a somewhat heavy rail the rifle is fairly lightweight with a T2.  Very nice handing, but somewhat muzzle-heavy.
I think irons are the right choice for the situation.  The only way I would go no irons is with an ACOG/RDS combo.

Had a long phone conversation with the program rep and I will be moving forward.  Later tonight or maybe tomorrow I’ll put together a summary and will begin contacting interested persons with all the information for them to decide for themselves.
View All Quotes
SOON

Yes with all the mud there, plus all the diving for cover from artillery, Irons make a ton of sense.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

This is a welcome finding. Hopefully they can overcome the jamming to return to full functionality of the Jdams. This is a big tip of the cards by Russia.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By theskuh:

The Pentagon in December began sending Kyiv advanced equipment that could convert unguided air-dropped munitions into precision-guided "smart bombs" that can hit Russian targets with a higher degree of accuracy.

A larger problem is that Russia is using GPS jamming to interfere with the weapons' targeting process, according to the slide and a separate person familiar with the issue who's not in the U.S. government. American officials believe Russian jamming is causing the JDAMs, and at times other American weapons such as guided rockets, to miss their mark.

"I do think there may be concern that the Russians may be jamming the signal used to direct the JDAMs, which would answer why these munitions are not performing in the manner expected and how they perform in other war zones," said Mick Mulroy a former Pentagon official and retired CIA officer.

Yeah its good to have JDAM's tested against a high level threat so they can be improved and hardened.

Let's just hope JDAM technology evolves faster than jamming tech when it comes to Chyna.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUh2gzTD5sM
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
I hear a lot of Russians say "Souka", when something happens. What does it mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUh2gzTD5sM
I and others keep hearing Blyat is Fuck.  He says Blyat is Whore
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

It's part of an interesting emerging pattern though. Russian puppets urging peace and negotiations, Russia themselves upping the rhetoric and bringing back the nuke threats, and Russian bots / trolls going hyperactive pushing any old nonsense and sometimes rehashing months old disinformation.

Makes me think Russia is very worried about what is coming.
View Quote
Ann-Margaret
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#49]
News has really slowed down.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#50]
It’s interesting that all of the news stories coming out of “leaks” are all about failures of US systems, Ukrainian failures, and Russian successes.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3861 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top