Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3862 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Capta:

TY!  Need to round some some M7 Bayonets.
Like I said my biggest change would ideally be a Micro RDS.  After that I think you could find a lighter rail.  The Midwest nightfighter rail is pretty stoutly made and the barrel nut is like 2.5” long.  Also pretty affordable compared to some options.  I’m not in a position to say that it’s objectively better than a lighter rail for LAM mounting.  However even a somewhat heavy rail the rifle is fairly lightweight with a T2.  Very nice handing, but somewhat muzzle-heavy.
I think irons are the right choice for the situation.  The only way I would go no irons is with an ACOG/RDS combo.

Had a long phone conversation with the program rep and I will be moving forward.  Later tonight or maybe tomorrow I’ll put together a summary and will begin contacting interested persons with all the information for them to decide for themselves.
View Quote

@Capta
Count me as interested in that info as well, please. *As long as there is a valid export license* then this could be a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Seemed like a cool way to make a ships 5"/127mm gun a lot more viable.

Those little guided glide shells might not bust a warship, but would work great for disabling blockade running containerships (shot to the bridge?) or disable some of the 'maritime militia' boats China uses.

Or just be used as filler to overwhelm enemy air defenses.
View Quote

Can anyone explain why the Navy doesn't use 155mm guns?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
I said over a month ago, If not Bakhmut then where. I believe the defenders of Bakhmut will go down in history as those warriors who held the line and gave Ukraine the time to equip themselves with western weapons and troops trained to use them. They have bled the enemy very well and have lost alot themselves. Much as the defenders at Astovol steel plant. Sometimes you just have to hold. There is so much going on that we do not know.

All the talk of the spring offensive, kinda like death or the return of Christ...No man knows the hour, and those that say they do are leading you away. I personally believe the "leaked documents" are alot of BS, otherwise our 3 letter agencies would have hung someone out to dry, let alone the true and righteous anger and fury of Ukraine, They would have let the world know who it was.

The studies and books that will be written will throw alot of us upside down when really learn the truth. Its amazing watching the world hang on every bit of disinformation. The Ukes have become masters of disinformation and with our help , are shaping the next battlefields.

Already so much that we thought of the mighty soviet army has turned out to be crap, I personally hope that there are real War Crime trials and punishments, Orcs who rape, steal, kill and behead people need to pay.
View Quote

Preferably in another Nuremburg style venue, but just as well if not.

I would recommend that everybody keep well clear of places where wealthy Russians congregate.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By j_hooker:

Thanks and I appreciate the explanation
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By voyager3:
I hear a lot of Russians say “Souka”, when something happens. What does it mean?

Literally it means "bitch" but it is often used simply as parasitic swear word like f*ck in English by people not good at forming long coherent phrases. Because of the Cyrillic spelling "сука", you may have seen the more emphatic curse written as "cyka blyat".

Thanks and I appreciate the explanation

I've also noticed that Ukraïnians will use it on occasion.
Here's some ProBass featuring the lyric "Welcome to Ukraine, сука!"  The song title is "Do Boyu" which translates as "To The Battle"

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Russia jamming U.S. smart bombs in Ukraine, leaked docs say
A separate technical problem, since fixed, had been causing the munitions to fail.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/12/russia-jamming-u-s-smart-bombs-in-ukraine-leaked-docs-say-00091600

American-made smart bombs are falling victim to Russian electronic jamming in Ukraine, causing them to miss their targets, according to leaked documents and confirmed by a Defense Department official.

In some cases, the weapons were also failing to detonate due to a technical issue, which Ukrainian troops have since addressed.

The Pentagon in December began sending Kyiv advanced equipment that could convert unguided air-dropped munitions into precision-guided “smart bombs” that can hit Russian targets with a higher degree of accuracy.

The guided bombs can be launched by a variety of aircraft such as bombers and fighters, and are called Joint Direct Attack Munitions or JDAMs. The longer-range version being sent to Ukraine is called a JDAM-Extended Range, or JDAM-ER.

But the weapons have experienced higher-than-expected dud rates and have missed their targets on the battlefield, according to a leaked slide prepared by the Joint Staff and confirmed by a U.S. official, who was granted anonymity to discuss a sensitive issue.

In some cases, the bomb fuzes were not arming when they were released, causing the weapon to fail to detonate. The Ukrainian air force put in place a fix to ensure the bombs are arming correctly, according to the slide and the official.

A larger problem is that Russia is using GPS jamming to interfere with the weapons’ targeting process, according to the slide and a separate person familiar with the issue who’s not in the U.S. government. American officials believe Russian jamming is causing the JDAMs, and at times other American weapons such as guided rockets, to miss their mark.

“I do think there may be concern that the Russians may be jamming the signal used to direct the JDAMs, which would answer why these munitions are not performing in the manner expected and how they perform in other war zones,” said Mick Mulroy a former Pentagon official and retired CIA officer.

View Quote

I'm skeptical. There were reports that Russia was supplying Iraq with jammers during OIF and they did nothing but tell our folks where to bomb to kill the jammers.

Lots of variables to take into account like are these even the same tech, was the tech updated, JDAM now vs whatever munition used then, etc. but, massive grain of salt here given how lacking Russian wunder-weapons have been to date.

U.S. Bombs GPS-Jamming Sites In Iraq, Possibly Sold by Russia

Russian GPS Jammers Pose Little Threat In Iraq

Also, just a friendly reminder that data in the leaks are probably best regarded as misinformation given the fact st least some data has already been acknowledged as fraudulent, even if the source of the leaks is authentic.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fike:
It’s interesting that all of the news stories coming out of “leaks” are all about failures of US systems, Ukrainian failures, and Russian successes.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
I and others keep hearing Blyat is Fuck.  He says Blyat is Whore
View Quote

Blyat does mean "whore" literally. But when used as an expletive the correct translation would be "fuck!" or "shit!" since you don't yell "whore!" when you step on a Lego block.
Literal word by word translation vs understanding context is the reason why the auto-translated texts look so stilted.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:03:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#8]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

All the prospective candidates, except Ukraine, are in both the EU and NATO. By establishing consensus amongst each other and voting as a Bloc, the will gain more influence in both together rather than they had separately. I wonder if that is why Macron and Schulz have been such bitches lately…..such an alliance is a direct threat to their rule of the EU.

It should also be said they can’t trust Washington much more than Brussels. They need to have the ability to act without help from either, if not passive-aggressive opposition.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I think you can make an argument for interests-driven decision making before the war.  EU slow-rolling a nuke reactor but Russia agrees to help?  OK fair enough.
Wanting to keep Soros’ dirty mitts of their internal politics?  OK, Poland has done the same and incurred some of the same grief over it.
Poland has also done everything possible since to help Ukraine and cooperate with NATO.
Turkey has played hardball over their political and financial interests too.  But they have also provided quite significant military aid, a lot of it off the radar.  They play hardball, they get (some of) what they want, and then they cooperate.
Hungary continues to refuse aid, refuses even the transit of aid, and has repeatedly tried to block military and financial aid within the EU.
I actually don’t have a problem with hardball quid pro quo politics.  But we aren’t seeing that.  We’re seeing obstructionism which is not tied to fulfillment of quid pro quo demands, and that raises pretty significant questions about Orban’s motives.
I watch a fair amount of EU/NATO press content on youtube, and Stoltenberg recently made pretty clear reference to “getting Hungary’s concerns for minority rights addressed” or words to that effect.  So NATO/the EU appears to be interested in playing ball with Orban for his domestic political goals.  Will Orban reciprocate?  I doubt it.
I’m not well versed in the politics of Hungary’s nuke plant saga.  However I read through this link and it certainly doesn’t paint a black and white picture of EU stonewalling/Russia helping.  If anything it raises strong questions of Russia using both energy and money for political leverage against Hungary and Europe.  Which of course is the same boat that Germany was in, but Germany has largely bailed out of that and Hungary…hasn’t.
https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-g-n/hungary.aspx
I reject the idea that “Orban may just think that everything will back to normal in a few months.”  Only an absolute moron would think that at this point, and Orban is not a moron.  The escalation of Russian barbarism and war crimes and the demand for war crimes trials and reparations will prevent any rapprochement with Europe for years if not decades.
We aren’t party to the reasoning behind a sanctions threat - yet.

I agree. I think Orban has personal animosity towards Zelensky and maybe Ukraine in general on top of all the legitimate concerns Hungary has with the EU. Maybe he also assumed that a quick Russian victory would be followed by very favorable terms for the Hungarian minorities in Ukraine. As an ethnic Hungarian who supports Orban in domestic policies, I am very frustrated by his stupid games over Ukraine.

Orban would have been wise to emulate the successes of Poland. Maybe piggyback off some of their moves.

If independence is a high priority for them and being a small country nukes are a bad path. It is a wonderful baseline generation capability but the technology and fuel are highly controlled by larger countries. Also, large Nuke plants like the Russian ones are not the answer. If they pursue nuclear power the French approach if more numerous and smaller plants is much better.

Located near the ME they could have multi-supplier options with natural gas. It is clean and the generation can be quickly ramped up or down to meet demand.

Poland isn’t helping Ukraine to please Brussels, or Washington. They are doing it for their own reasons. Duda is a fan of Pilsudski’s Intermarium project, and a free and independent (and friendly) Ukraine is a core necessity for it, or something like it, to come to pass. By invading Ukraine, Putin literally dropped into Duda’s lap a once in a lifetime opportunity to turn Pilsudski’s dream into reality.  He understood the gift he was given immediately and ran with it. If it works out, future generations of Poles will venerate him for engineering an alliance that will shut out Russia forever.

The Three Seas or Intermarium alliance sounds much more practical for those in direct threat of Russia than EU or NATO. Then develop specific coordination agreements with NATO. Great to see they are already working toward this.

All the prospective candidates, except Ukraine, are in both the EU and NATO. By establishing consensus amongst each other and voting as a Bloc, the will gain more influence in both together rather than they had separately. I wonder if that is why Macron and Schulz have been such bitches lately…..such an alliance is a direct threat to their rule of the EU.

It should also be said they can’t trust Washington much more than Brussels. They need to have the ability to act without help from either, if not passive-aggressive opposition.

Good insight. I agree working together is their best bet to weather the manipulations by various power plays from the west. I’ve never been to Eastern Europe but the people I have known from Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, and Czechoslovakia are very solid good people of faith and good talent and skills. And the region has very rich history. I hope they can rebuild the greatness of Europe.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#9]

You are finding some hilarious graphics, Ben!!

Those guys are busy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#10]
It's interesting that all of the news stories coming out of "leaks" are all about failures of US systems, Ukrainian failures, and Russian successes.
View Quote
You know I had not thought of that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
I said over a month ago, If not Bakhmut then where. I believe the defenders of Bakhmut will go down in history as those warriors who held the line and gave Ukraine the time to equip themselves with western weapons and troops trained to use them. They have bled the enemy very well and have lost alot themselves. Much as the defenders at Astovol steel plant. Sometimes you just have to hold. There is so much going on that we do not know.

All the talk of the spring offensive, kinda like death or the return of Christ...No man knows the hour, and those that say they do are leading you away. I personally believe the "leaked documents" are alot of BS, otherwise our 3 letter agencies would have hung someone out to dry, let alone the true and righteous anger and fury of Ukraine, They would have let the world know who it was.

The studies and books that will be written will throw alot of us upside down when really learn the truth. Its amazing watching the world hang on every bit of disinformation. The Ukes have become masters of disinformation and with our help , are shaping the next battlefields.

Already so much that we thought of the mighty soviet army has turned out to be crap, I personally hope that there are real War Crime trials and punishments, Orcs who rape, steal, kill and behead people need to pay.
View Quote

Well said. Armies around the world must be scrambling to analyze and learn from this war!  The first world wide Social Media documented war. And Ukraine is doing well with opsec so looking forward to when that can all be revealed in the books.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Those little guided glide shells might not bust a warship, but would work great for disabling blockade running containerships (shot to the bridge?) or disable some of the 'maritime militia' boats China uses.

View Quote

Or you can find a way to stick 4 GMLRS-ER in each VLS cell.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#13]
It’s interesting that all of the news stories coming out of “leaks” are all about failures of US systems, Ukrainian failures, and Russian successes.
View Quote

Russian IO capability is top notch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

Can anyone explain why the Navy doesn't use 155mm guns?
View Quote

Fixed ammunition works better in naval applications.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:34:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#15]
Charles Michel: Europe warming up to Macron’s ‘strategic autonomy’ push away from US
European Council president says EU cannot ‘blindly, systematically follow’ Washington.

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-warming-up-to-macrons-strategic-autonomy-push-says-charles-michel/

BRUSSELS — European leaders are becoming increasingly favorable toward French President Emmanuel Macron's push for "strategic autonomy" away from the United States, European Council boss Charles Michel said Tuesday.

As controversy swells around Macron's comments that Europe should resist pressure to become "America’s followers," Michel suggested that the French politician’s position was not isolated among EU leaders. While Macron spoke as the French president, his views reflect a growing shift among EU leaders, Michel said.

"There has been a leap forward on strategic autonomy compared to several years ago," Michel told French television show La Faute à l'Europe (which has a partnership with POLITICO) in an interview set to air on Wednesday.

"On the issue of the relationship with the United States, it's clear that there can be nuances and sensitivities around the table of the European Council. Some European leaders wouldn't say things the same way that Emmanuel Macron did ... I think quite a few really think like Emmanuel Macron."

Following a trip last week to China with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, Macron told POLITICO and French newspaper Les Echos that Europe had to limit its dependency on the United States and avoid getting pulled into "crises that are not ours."

"There is indeed a great attachment that remains present — and Emmanuel Macron has said nothing else — for this alliance with the United States. But if this alliance with the United States would suppose that we blindly, systematically follow the position of the United States on all issues, no," Michel said.

-->US helping Europe with Ukraine is not likely to be reciprocated by the EU helping the US with Taiwan

I'm still 100% on the Fuck Russia, ATACMS for Ukraine lifestyle. But it's important to realize EU fondness of the US due to our support for Ukraine is already waning.

Outside of Britain, we really don't have any allies we can count on in Europe. We should be doing more to strengthen the British economically (such as granting them a NAFTA level access to the US market) and Militarily (say getting them discounted munitions and tech.)
View Quote

I don’t think any of that is new. France has forever skirted sanctions, tried to control EU, and do business with every pariah nation.

Those are all words to try to distract from his shameful groveling on knees to China and being humiliated by Xi. France has agreed to become an economic vassal and had to pay homage to its new master.

Honestly I could give a rip if France or most of Western Europe was invaded. They have been weak ass allies and always bitching and moaning. Ukraine and Poland should just tell Russia, Listen bub, you are not welcome here, but if you want to grab some Rhineland castles and vineyards and some sweet Riviera beaches then you are welcome to scoot through here most ricky tick. Don’t stop until you see wind turbines!

I’m glad UK bailed on the EU and hope it brings them much prosperity and insulation from the EU stupids.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Hence Bush II and Trump wanting to make deals with Eastern Europe ("New Europe" in Rumsfeld's words") outside of NATO.  France was the first NATO country to establish diplomatic relations with Red China (1964), and the Germans have not been our friends since Helmut Kohl left office not long after the Berlin Wall came down.  The entire purpose of expanding the European Community to the European Union in 1994 was to challenge US dominance in the Post-Cold War era.  Just as Hungary is looking out for #1, so is Western Europe.  France and Germany are looking our for a Europe after Russia has been crippled militarily and economically and is no longer an overwhelming threat to France and Germany.  If you don't think the Europeans will undermine US interests for their own benefit, you have not been paying attention to US/European economic and diplomatic history since roughly 1968.
View All Quotes
Charles Michel: Europe warming up to Macron’s ‘strategic autonomy’ push away from US
European Council president says EU cannot ‘blindly, systematically follow’ Washington.

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-warming-up-to-macrons-strategic-autonomy-push-says-charles-michel/

BRUSSELS — European leaders are becoming increasingly favorable toward French President Emmanuel Macron's push for "strategic autonomy" away from the United States, European Council boss Charles Michel said Tuesday.

As controversy swells around Macron's comments that Europe should resist pressure to become "America’s followers," Michel suggested that the French politician’s position was not isolated among EU leaders. While Macron spoke as the French president, his views reflect a growing shift among EU leaders, Michel said.

"There has been a leap forward on strategic autonomy compared to several years ago," Michel told French television show La Faute à l'Europe (which has a partnership with POLITICO) in an interview set to air on Wednesday.

"On the issue of the relationship with the United States, it's clear that there can be nuances and sensitivities around the table of the European Council. Some European leaders wouldn't say things the same way that Emmanuel Macron did ... I think quite a few really think like Emmanuel Macron."

Following a trip last week to China with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, Macron told POLITICO and French newspaper Les Echos that Europe had to limit its dependency on the United States and avoid getting pulled into "crises that are not ours."

"There is indeed a great attachment that remains present — and Emmanuel Macron has said nothing else — for this alliance with the United States. But if this alliance with the United States would suppose that we blindly, systematically follow the position of the United States on all issues, no," Michel said.

-->US helping Europe with Ukraine is not likely to be reciprocated by the EU helping the US with Taiwan

I'm still 100% on the Fuck Russia, ATACMS for Ukraine lifestyle. But it's important to realize EU fondness of the US due to our support for Ukraine is already waning.

Outside of Britain, we really don't have any allies we can count on in Europe. We should be doing more to strengthen the British economically (such as granting them a NAFTA level access to the US market) and Militarily (say getting them discounted munitions and tech.)

Hence Bush II and Trump wanting to make deals with Eastern Europe ("New Europe" in Rumsfeld's words") outside of NATO.  France was the first NATO country to establish diplomatic relations with Red China (1964), and the Germans have not been our friends since Helmut Kohl left office not long after the Berlin Wall came down.  The entire purpose of expanding the European Community to the European Union in 1994 was to challenge US dominance in the Post-Cold War era.  Just as Hungary is looking out for #1, so is Western Europe.  France and Germany are looking our for a Europe after Russia has been crippled militarily and economically and is no longer an overwhelming threat to France and Germany.  If you don't think the Europeans will undermine US interests for their own benefit, you have not been paying attention to US/European economic and diplomatic history since roughly 1968.

Good points.

The world needs one simple history lesson and everything else can be worked out.
China is asshoe and Russia is barbarian asshoe. Do not feed either.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Delivering freedom around the globe requires an airforce. I imagine B21's flying out of the continental US dropping LRASM's into the South China Sea will be key to the US stopping an invasion of Taiwan, especially if our naval forces and bases in the region get Pearl Harbored by a few hundred ballistic missiles.

But for smaller countries trying to defend their borders, I absolutely think HIMARS and other guided missile trucks + SAM systems + drones could replace most of their airforce, and would give a lot more bang for the buck.

Romania for example is getting 8X F35s. They probably would be better off with 8x $F35's worth of HIMARS and NASAMS.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

This is what every other commentator I have read/heard has said: for what Ukraine needs most for their upcoming offensive, they can do 95% of what really needs doing without F-16s at all. They have air defenses to keep the worst Russian air attacks away, and GLMRS, Excalibur, and other artillery can reach to the depth necessary to support an offensive just fine, for a fraction of the cost of any aircraft.

I still think they should be leaning forward and at least getting the pilots trained, but it will take YEARS before Ukrainian pilots are flying and supporting F16s from home soil.

This is coming from ignorance and not trying to be provocative. BUT, since the USA has MUCH more and better GLMRS, MLRS, and every other type of fires, why do we need an Air Force? Is it only for that remaining 5% that the precision fires cannot cover or something else. Or is the Air Force just to cover our immense force projection far from home? Are we rapidly approaching the point where manned aircraft are replaced with drones and super precise missiles?

Personally I think Ukraine needs the F16 urgently since Russia is still flying lots of jets. And ATACMs...I guess if they could get only one, probably ATACMs would be the most efficient and cheapest option by far.

Delivering freedom around the globe requires an airforce. I imagine B21's flying out of the continental US dropping LRASM's into the South China Sea will be key to the US stopping an invasion of Taiwan, especially if our naval forces and bases in the region get Pearl Harbored by a few hundred ballistic missiles.

But for smaller countries trying to defend their borders, I absolutely think HIMARS and other guided missile trucks + SAM systems + drones could replace most of their airforce, and would give a lot more bang for the buck.

Romania for example is getting 8X F35s. They probably would be better off with 8x $F35's worth of HIMARS and NASAMS.

That seems logical. I would love to see what “equivalent” hit capabilities cost in comparison including maintenance and dedicated logistics. How many launchers and missile and drones to equal an F16?

The Ukraine war really shows what happens when you don’t have air dominance whether that is via aircraft or missiles. Slugfest attrition. Damn incredible having a fraction of the Russians in most categories they have done so well. Imagine if they started with thousands of HIMARS and hundreds of ATACMS and tens of NASAMs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Why not both?

But seriously, we've got 70 Arleigh Burkes (90 planned) with 5" cannons taking up a fair amount of real estate on their decks, and an increasing number of the ships VLS needed to house defensive anti air/ anti missiles rather than offensive weapons.

So making the 5" gun an actually useful anti boat / anti ship weapon with 50-100km range and ability to hit moving targets seems quite desirable.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#19]

To me it sounds like Belarus is telling Russia..."OK, we went along with your stupid invasion that stirred up the whole world against us and turned Ukraine into a giant hate-filled, raging enemy, all while you got your asses kicked so you better step up when they come HERE looking for payback"...or something more diplomatic...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:

ETA- I realize now you’re talking domestic Belarus.

Article from two days ago in Belarus (BY), which doesn’t seem that remarkable to me as an outsider. Seems like Lukashenko wants it in writing or something.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/F7EDFF62-DD93-4C9E-8727-E8324F61B8F6-2780461.jpg

But then there’s this odd detail- the BY Embassy here in these United States with this.

Almost like they’re haggling for something. It’s like a domestic call where Russia’s like “come back inside, let’s talk about it” and Belarus is in the street finger wagging saying ”oh no, we’ll talk about it NOW”.

It’s probably nothing, but what countries say and which embassies they say it from is usually pretty calculated.  

To me it sounds like Belarus is telling Russia..."OK, we went along with your stupid invasion that stirred up the whole world against us and turned Ukraine into a giant hate-filled, raging enemy, all while you got your asses kicked so you better step up when they come HERE looking for payback"...or something more diplomatic...

+1
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#20]

@Capta
Count me as interested in that info as well, please. *As long as there is a valid export license* then this could be a good thing.
View All Quotes

TY!  Need to round some some M7 Bayonets.
Like I said my biggest change would ideally be a Micro RDS.  After that I think you could find a lighter rail.  The Midwest nightfighter rail is pretty stoutly made and the barrel nut is like 2.5” long.  Also pretty affordable compared to some options.  I’m not in a position to say that it’s objectively better than a lighter rail for LAM mounting.  However even a somewhat heavy rail the rifle is fairly lightweight with a T2.  Very nice handing, but somewhat muzzle-heavy.
I think irons are the right choice for the situation.  The only way I would go no irons is with an ACOG/RDS combo.

Had a long phone conversation with the program rep and I will be moving forward.  Later tonight or maybe tomorrow I’ll put together a summary and will begin contacting interested persons with all the information for them to decide for themselves.

@Capta

I have a copy of the export license which I will provide along with the comms.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:57:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#21]
New Leaked Documents Show Broad Infighting Among Russian Officials
The additional documents also suggest the breach of American intelligence agencies could contain far more material than previously believed.

https://archive.ph/BmFQT

The depth of the infighting inside the Russian government appears broader and deeper than previously understood, judging from a newly discovered cache of classified intelligence documents that has been leaked online.

The additional documents, which did not surface in a 53-page set that came to wide public attention online last week, paint a picture of the Russian government feuding over the count of the dead and wounded in the Ukraine war, with the domestic intelligence agency accusing the military of obscuring the scale of casualties that Russia has suffered.

The new batch, which contains 27 pages, reinforces how deeply American spy agencies have penetrated nearly every aspect of the Russian intelligence apparatus and military command structure. It also shows that the breach of American intelligence agencies could contain far more material than previously understood.

In one document, American intelligence officials say that Russia’s main domestic intelligence agency, the Federal Security Service, or F.S.B., has “accused” the country’s Defense Ministry “of obfuscating Russian casualties in Ukraine.” The finding highlights “the continuing reluctance of military officials to convey bad news up the chain of command,” they say.

F.S.B. officials, the document says, contend that the ministry’s toll did not include the dead and wounded among the Russian National Guard, the Wagner mercenary force or fighters fielded by Ramzan Kadyrov, the strongman leader of the southern Russian republic of Chechnya. The sundry fighting forces that the Kremlin has deployed in Ukraine have sometimes acted at cross purposes, further complicating Russia’s military effort.

The F.S.B. “calculated the actual number of Russians wounded and killed in action was closer to 110,000,” the document says.

The new documents also provide fresh details about a very public dispute in February in which Yevgeny V. Prigozhin, the business mogul who runs the Wagner force, accused Russian military officials of withholding urgently needed ammunition from his fighters. Mr. Putin attempted to resolve the dispute personally by calling Mr. Prigozhin and Mr. Shoigu into a meeting believed to have taken place on Feb. 22, one document reports.

“The meeting almost certainly concerned, at least in part, Prigozhin’s public accusations and resulting tension with Shoygu,” the document says, using an alternative transliteration of the minister’s name.

One slide that appears to have been produced by the military’s Joint Staff and dated Feb. 23 concludes that Russia has failed to disrupt the massive flow of Western arms and equipment into Ukraine since the start of the war, and asserts that the Kremlin’s battered military will not be able to change that anytime soon.

“During the next 6 months, Russia’s economic challenges and degraded conventional capabilities very likely will further impede its efforts, creating a mostly permissive environment for continued lethal aid deliveries,” the document said.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:12:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Why not both?

But seriously, we've got 70 Arleigh Burkes (90 planned) with 5" cannons taking up a fair amount of real estate on their decks, and an increasing number of the ships VLS needed to house defensive anti air/ anti missiles rather than offensive weapons.

So making the 5" gun an actually useful anti boat / anti ship weapon with 50-100km range and ability to hit moving targets seems quite desirable.

https://www.seaforces.org/wpnsys/SURFACE/Mk-45-gun_DAT/Mk-45-gun-027.jpg
View Quote

Vulcano is what you seek.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:26:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

I'm skeptical. There were reports that Russia was supplying Iraq with jammers during OIF and they did nothing but tell our folks where to bomb to kill the jammers.

Lots of variables to take into account like are these even the same tech, was the tech updated, JDAM now vs whatever munition used then, etc. but, massive grain of salt here given how lacking Russian wunder-weapons have been to date.

Also, just a friendly reminder that data in the leaks are probably best regarded as misinformation given the fact st least some data has already been acknowledged as fraudulent, even if the source of the leaks is authentic.
View All Quotes
A separate technical problem, since fixed, had been causing the munitions to fail.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/12/russia-jamming-u-s-smart-bombs-in-ukraine-leaked-docs-say-00091600

American-made smart bombs are falling victim to Russian electronic jamming in Ukraine, causing them to miss their targets, according to leaked documents and confirmed by a Defense Department official.

In some cases, the weapons were also failing to detonate due to a technical issue, which Ukrainian troops have since addressed.

The Pentagon in December began sending Kyiv advanced equipment that could convert unguided air-dropped munitions into precision-guided “smart bombs” that can hit Russian targets with a higher degree of accuracy.

The guided bombs can be launched by a variety of aircraft such as bombers and fighters, and are called Joint Direct Attack Munitions or JDAMs. The longer-range version being sent to Ukraine is called a JDAM-Extended Range, or JDAM-ER.

But the weapons have experienced higher-than-expected dud rates and have missed their targets on the battlefield, according to a leaked slide prepared by the Joint Staff and confirmed by a U.S. official, who was granted anonymity to discuss a sensitive issue.

In some cases, the bomb fuzes were not arming when they were released, causing the weapon to fail to detonate. The Ukrainian air force put in place a fix to ensure the bombs are arming correctly, according to the slide and the official.

A larger problem is that Russia is using GPS jamming to interfere with the weapons’ targeting process, according to the slide and a separate person familiar with the issue who’s not in the U.S. government. American officials believe Russian jamming is causing the JDAMs, and at times other American weapons such as guided rockets, to miss their mark.

“I do think there may be concern that the Russians may be jamming the signal used to direct the JDAMs, which would answer why these munitions are not performing in the manner expected and how they perform in other war zones,” said Mick Mulroy a former Pentagon official and retired CIA officer.

Russian EW warfare has made leaps and bounds since the Iraq war.  That is one area they have spent a ton of money on. they are pretty good at EW
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:29:32 AM EDT
[#24]
The additional documents also suggest the breach of American intelligence agencies could contain far more material than previously believed.

The depth of the infighting inside the Russian government appears broader and deeper than previously understood, judging from a newly discovered cache of classified intelligence documents that has been leaked online.

The additional documents, which did not surface in a 53-page set that came to wide public attention online last week, paint a picture of the Russian government feuding over the count of the dead and wounded in the Ukraine war, with the domestic intelligence agency accusing the military of obscuring the scale of casualties that Russia has suffered.

The new batch, which contains 27 pages, reinforces how deeply American spy agencies have penetrated nearly every aspect of the Russian intelligence apparatus and military command structure. It also shows that the breach of American intelligence agencies could contain far more material than previously understood.

In one document, American intelligence officials say that Russia’s main domestic intelligence agency, the Federal Security Service, or F.S.B., has “accused” the country’s Defense Ministry “of obfuscating Russian casualties in Ukraine.” The finding highlights “the continuing reluctance of military officials to convey bad news up the chain of command,” they say.

F.S.B. officials, the document says, contend that the ministry’s toll did not include the dead and wounded among the Russian National Guard, the Wagner mercenary force or fighters fielded by Ramzan Kadyrov, the strongman leader of the southern Russian republic of Chechnya. The sundry fighting forces that the Kremlin has deployed in Ukraine have sometimes acted at cross purposes, further complicating Russia’s military effort.

The F.S.B. “calculated the actual number of Russians wounded and killed in action was closer to 110,000,” the document says.

The new documents also provide fresh details about a very public dispute in February in which Yevgeny V. Prigozhin, the business mogul who runs the Wagner force, accused Russian military officials of withholding urgently needed ammunition from his fighters. Mr. Putin attempted to resolve the dispute personally by calling Mr. Prigozhin and Mr. Shoigu into a meeting believed to have taken place on Feb. 22, one document reports.

“The meeting almost certainly concerned, at least in part, Prigozhin’s public accusations and resulting tension with Shoygu,” the document says, using an alternative transliteration of the minister’s name.

One slide that appears to have been produced by the military’s Joint Staff and dated Feb. 23 concludes that Russia has failed to disrupt the massive flow of Western arms and equipment into Ukraine since the start of the war, and asserts that the Kremlin’s battered military will not be able to change that anytime soon.

“During the next 6 months, Russia’s economic challenges and degraded conventional capabilities very likely will further impede its efforts, creating a mostly permissive environment for continued lethal aid deliveries,” the document said.

View Quote

FFS!! they need to stop these fucking leaks...
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:20:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

View All Quotes

It was just announced Gen Mark “Loose Lips” Milley is retiring this year. Coincidence? At 65 for a political animal that loves the limelight? Hmmm
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:25:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Stevo89:

For what, an RBMK?
View Quote

Not great, not terrible
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:09:15 AM EDT
[#27]
https://wapo.st/3UvaNTQ

Leaker of U.S. secret documents worked on military base, friend says

THE DISCORD LEAKS | The online group that received hundreds of pages of classified material included foreigners, members tell The Post

April 12, 2023 at 9:36 p.m. EDT

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:22:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:34:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#29]

More info that is worth considering: https://www.euractiv.com/section/europe-s-east/news/track-two-of-eu-ammunition-plan-stalls-over-legal-definitions/
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

THE DISCORD LEAKS | The online group that received hundreds of pages of classified material included foreigners, members tell The Post

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Wow. The stupid of that OG guy is mind boggling. He even knew half the discord “family” were foreigners including Russia.

Sounds like with all the postings and interactions the feds will nail him soon. Apparently no earth shattering info bits but the gross abuse of access is inexcusable.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:02:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:24:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Fuck me...so some dumb fucking incel dumped all this shit online to impress some gamer boys.. little dis he know he could be changing history due to his antics.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:26:07 AM EDT
[#33]

More info that is worth considering: https://www.euractiv.com/section/europe-s-east/news/track-two-of-eu-ammunition-plan-stalls-over-legal-definitions/
View Quote

Macron sure is doing a huge 180 lately.  China must pay pretty damn good. Guess Biden isn't rhe only one in on the China grift
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#34]

It's been a looooong time since zero tanks have been deleted from the battlefield. If ever
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Fuck me...so some dumb fucking incel dumped all this shit online to impress some gamer boys.. little dis he know he could be changing history due to his antics.
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

Dumping text copies and then actual pics of documents by the hundreds over several months. Amazingly dumb. Not just a one time leak but MONTHS OF DAILY LEAKS. To members known to be foreigners.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Send it to me for…ugh..evaluation.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#37]
The OG leaker says he works at a military base. Fort Meade, home of the NSA, is a military base. The guy seems to have some broad access since the leaks have reference to Five Eyes and DOD documents. Another Snowden type idealist maybe. It doesn't appear he was trying to make money on this but wanted to impress his fellow gamer geeks.

Whoever he is, they need to nail his ass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:58:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Russian EW warfare has made leaps and bounds since the Iraq war.  That is one area they have spent a ton of money on. they are pretty good at EW
View Quote

The Ukrainians are flying comercial drones right over Russian EW stations but they are capable to jam JDAMs?

Interesting,...

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#39]
More pictures:

T-90A at a truck stop in Louisiana.

April 2023
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Perhaps it's on the way to Fort Benning Armor School.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
More pictures:

https://i.imgur.com/XZnKvzK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/frwzA62.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4pcdN9Z.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/v8Dgwro.jpg

April 2023
View Quote

Hopefully we get more complete examples to form an Aggressor force
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#42]
More pictures:

https://i.imgur.com/XZnKvzK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/frwzA62.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4pcdN9Z.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/v8Dgwro.jpg

April 2023
View Quote

Small world! I know those marks. That's the Mechanized unit that fixed our van.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Wow. Great read and very believable.

At least he impressed some kids on the internet.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Isolationism is something we have tried as a nation, and failed miserably at, throughout our history.   "Isolationism" and "Not going off half-cocked everywhere as some kind of self-appointed World Police" are two different things.  Ukraine, though our policy is far from perfect, is probably one of the best applications of American military/diplomatic/economic power in the last 20 years.
View Quote

^^This^^
I don't want to paint with too broad of a brush, but the US has so many "interests" that it can't please everyone. No wonder why most of our policies look "half-assed". Regarding Ukraine and the US policy, sure looks like a half-blind, non-binary squirrel is finding an acorn. I can only hope this aligning of the stars happens more often.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Hang him
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:52:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#46]

View All Quotes

From the I believe RUSI analysis of the initial invasion, Russian EW was almost too good: it was jamming the invasion forces comms as well.

Here's an article on that:

https://archive.ph/YzbWg

In the first days of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Russian jamming disrupted Ukraine's air-defense radars and communications links. The problem for Russian forces is that their electronic warfare also jammed their own communications.

This "electronic fratricide" became so acute that Russian troops had to stop disrupting Ukrainian communications, according to a study by the Royal United Services Institute, a British think tank.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ILfreedom:
If I'm Putin right now  I'd be having  severe doubts if my generals told me they can handle a Ukrainian offensive.  His best bet is to abandon this war, declare victory, and move on.
View Quote

Maybe Russians are gullible enough. Claim victory. Liberation complete. Then in a month or two, when Ukraine attacks, they are the aggressor. But then, how do you tell your people that your 2nd strongest army in the world just got smacked in the face and couldn't counterpunch?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Send it to me for…ugh..evaluation.

View Quote

You don't need to fuck a donkey on a dare to know that, surprise, that feels like donkey's ass.

I really doubt there is anything to learn from this recent trophy. Don't strain a muscle over it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

Assuming all the others were actually teens. Doesn’t sound like any met in person. So who knows who all were as they represented themselves on line?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#50]

The Ukrainians are flying comercial drones right over Russian EW stations but they are capable to jam JDAMs?

Interesting,...

View All Quotes

Interesting,...

@4xGM300m

You must have missed this article I posted yesterday.  No they are not flying commercial drones anywhere close to what they used to do...

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-now-effectively-counters-commercial-180000421.html
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3862 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top