Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4424 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
First Confirmed Loss of AS-90 Self-Propelled Howitzer in Ukraine in Zaporizhia
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UKjohn:
Need to do some stuff then off to bed .

To my American brothers, Happy Independence Day.

Have a great time and if you play with splody stuff keep your fingers out of the way

View Quote

Thanks pardner.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

I agree with you, but I think the green machine needs to take a look back and look at the whole forest, not just that tree.

The period generally from Id argue 1960 to 2010 was first world powers more or less stomping third world powers at the tactical level.  You might lose politically, or strategically, but the never winning a battle" mantra was a general truism.  It is similar to the late 19th century and European imperialism, and US Indian wars.  Breech loading rifles, artillery, trains, technology, machine guns, vs tribes, was a thing.  Until maybe the Russo-Japanese War and suddenly a whole lot of second stringers had tech, like emma gees and indirect fires, used against each other, that should have been a caution statement.  Noone paid attention and nine years later they learned it the hard way.  And here we are.

WWI had massive ammo expenditures, but the big big issues were bigger then that, and while ammo expenditure is a problem, is it the biggest problem? Arguably not.

Id say the big issue is a transparent battlefield with universal satellite imagery and cheap precision anyone can sell or donate.  I'm not sure, at all, that any Brigade or higher HQ will survive very long in the next fight.  Expeditionary logistics? Probably not.  

So, in a way, it's 1906, and anyone who wants to fight the big one in a few years should understand there are a dozen new variables out there and guessing the combination of how they turn out is highly unlikely.  Talking about a conventional war with a peer competitor should sound and smell like a bunch of 1950s leaders talking about duck and cover and winning a nuclear exchange.  

I realize the Taiwan straits is the situation it is, but right now, recognize anything and everything but proxy wars and insurgencies is a multi variable crapshoot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CharlieR:
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Ultimately, I am not unsympathetic to some of our posters (whom I assume have more than a passing familiarity with our chronic ammo stockage issues, and are passionately concerned about it) who are firing the red-star cluster on this.  My only argument is that they should probably switch from Cafe Cubano with a Rip-it chaser to beer for a little while and reflect.  IF we do not exercise our logistics and determine the actual "no-shit" requirements for extended HIC against a major power, we will NOT get it right during the next war.  We have a primo opportunity to fix at least parts of our broken procurement system, determine requirements based on actual objective data and facts as opposed to estimates built on estimates, and try out a bunch of systems (SAM-T, NASAMS, etc) that have never been fielded to a major war and determine their actual combat deployment usage and requirements based on actual as opposed to theoretical combat deployment.  AND, do all this while someone else is paying the Butchers' Bill. There IS both opportunity and risk associated with this approach.  The opportunity is that we get to accelerate fielding of improved systems (the M113 replacement, STINGER upgrade/replacement, next-gen PATRIOT, HIMARS, GMLRS, etc), Decrease storage/disposal costs of older systems (mid-range Blocs of the F16, older lots of JAVELIN, AT-4, PATRIOT, etc).  Build international relationships (and clients), etc.  The risks, naturally, is that if China and the Norks (or both) get froggy in the near-term, we may well get caught short. However, the other side of this coin is that the expenditure of stuff like PAC3 CRI and 1st Gen HIMARS is a forcing function to replenish our stuff expeditiously so DoD isn't spending it's money funding Tranny Rights and Renaming stuff because of "feels".  Otherwise, we could find ourselves fighting the next war with stockpiled PAC-3 CRI with limited upper-tier integration capabilities against a near-intercontinental Ballistic Missile Threat and launching deep-strikes against modern air defenses with 1st Gen HIMARS that have the radar cross section of a station wagon while swatting at low-observable drones and cruise missiles with 30 year old STINGERS.  However, keep in mind that R0N and others are not wrong, and we risk potentially having our ass bare during the period while production catches up with stockage and requirements, and this does need to be taken into account, because TANSTAAFL.

I agree with you, but I think the green machine needs to take a look back and look at the whole forest, not just that tree.

The period generally from Id argue 1960 to 2010 was first world powers more or less stomping third world powers at the tactical level.  You might lose politically, or strategically, but the never winning a battle" mantra was a general truism.  It is similar to the late 19th century and European imperialism, and US Indian wars.  Breech loading rifles, artillery, trains, technology, machine guns, vs tribes, was a thing.  Until maybe the Russo-Japanese War and suddenly a whole lot of second stringers had tech, like emma gees and indirect fires, used against each other, that should have been a caution statement.  Noone paid attention and nine years later they learned it the hard way.  And here we are.

WWI had massive ammo expenditures, but the big big issues were bigger then that, and while ammo expenditure is a problem, is it the biggest problem? Arguably not.

Id say the big issue is a transparent battlefield with universal satellite imagery and cheap precision anyone can sell or donate.  I'm not sure, at all, that any Brigade or higher HQ will survive very long in the next fight.  Expeditionary logistics? Probably not.  

So, in a way, it's 1906, and anyone who wants to fight the big one in a few years should understand there are a dozen new variables out there and guessing the combination of how they turn out is highly unlikely.  Talking about a conventional war with a peer competitor should sound and smell like a bunch of 1950s leaders talking about duck and cover and winning a nuclear exchange.  

I realize the Taiwan straits is the situation it is, but right now, recognize anything and everything but proxy wars and insurgencies is a multi variable crapshoot.

This is where all of that "wasted" time fighting insurgencies will pay off, if we bring the lessons learned forward.  The next war will not have a defined front/FLOT, and everyone; Grunts, Loggies, Staff weenies, Clerks, etc, will have to function like they are in forward positions, as the enemy tactical "reach" will be tens or even hundreds of miles from the main battle.  Comms, ADA and EW assets will be critical, and resupply and rear staging will become extremely complex.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Just a quick note, the latest sketti thread is not going well for him.
View Quote
I've pretty much said what I needed to in that thread.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:21:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ERNURSE] [#5]
And the fact that F-russia is using Lewisite in explosive artillery shells. Lewisite hasnt been used since world war 1, causing untold suffering, blindness and horrible blisters. Lewisite is a blister agent, and is prohibited from use. But again F-russia doesnt care about world norms. So blowing a nuke plant is on the level of the the third reich craziness.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
And the fact the Frussia is using Lewisite in explosive artillery shells. Lewisite hasnt been used since world war 1, causing untold suffering, blindness and horrible blisters. Lewisite is a blister agent, and is prohibited from use. But again Frussia doesnt care about world norms. So blowing a nuke plant is on the level of the the third reich craziness.
View Quote
I must have missed that
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh noes!  Russians aren’t safe walking around alone?  
Russians die under mysterious circumstances in Mariupol – City Council
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Auto5guy:

By most standards of law that kind of premeditation is an aggravating circumstance and it goes all the way to the top.  Dear God let the putin regime topple and the government structure crumble to the point that some of these can be brought to justice.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Auto5guy:
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Even "orcs" does not adequately describe the evil of RuAF. Recall that Putin pushed through a legislative change a couple of months ago declaring any crimes such as rape, murder, pillage, etc are NOT crimes in occupied territories.

Previous articles said she was kidnapped by a group of Russian soldiers and when her body was found it was determined she had been raped many times, tortured and quartered.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_1866-2873482.jpg

By most standards of law that kind of premeditation is an aggravating circumstance and it goes all the way to the top.  Dear God let the putin regime topple and the government structure crumble to the point that some of these can be brought to justice.

At the beginning of the full scale invasion, a Russian soldier posted a video on Telegram of himself raping a toddler.  That there are sick motherfuckers is understood, why would one would post it openly like that unless he believed it was OK to do?

Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By yekimak:
Big badaboom in Donetsk
View Quote
Do we know yet what this was?
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fike:
Boy howdy, if the Russians blow up ZNPP it’s going to get interesting.
View Quote

Nothing will be done.

If we won’t act to protect it, we aren’t going to act if they blow it.

Only the US, British, French, and maybe Poles can do anything. Italy and Israel sure aren’t getting involved
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NEXT23:

Nothing will be done.

Only the US, British, French, and maybe Poles can do anything. Italy and Israel sure aren’t getting involved
View All Quotes

Nothing will be done.

To be honest we have no idea what is being done behind the scene,
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

View All Quotes
Boy howdy, if the Russians blow up ZNPP it's going to get interesting.

Nothing will be done.

If we won't act to protect it, we aren't going to act if they blow it.

Only the US, British, French, and maybe Poles can do anything. Italy and Israel sure aren't getting involved

I would hope that, in addition to ensuring that Russia understands that this would be a mistake of epic proportions for them, we're pressuring China to dissuade them as well.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

True.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

(Damn, now I want to watch Hot Fuzz. )
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Nothing will be done.

View Quote

Exactly how do you propose we protect it? They have filled it with anti tank mines, and placed explosives.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#16]

20 min ago, indicating Ukrainian air force will try to intercept.

Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Sadly, I don't believe the western response would be anything but playing the victim card.

From my time in the military, 95% of the officers I interacted with were looking out for their own self interests far more than anything else.  Few would show any initiative or politely challenge superiors, they were all trying to get to retirement without having to make any tough decisions.   They were always writing themselves memos and inventing excuses to cover their own failures to take action.   Personal integrity simply didn't exist except in the newby Lieutenants, and most of them caved pretty quickly.   Hell, the USAF redesigned ICBM launch procedures to account for the possibility of launch officers refusing to fire their missiles when given legitimate launch orders.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
The underlying issue here is that western militaries foolishly failed to invest in ADA and presently have little to give relative to what’s required to support a war that’s not backstopped heavily by airpower. Instead of dragging this out the administration needs to grow some balls and help finish it so that the production rate of SAMs vs the production rate of OWA drones isn’t so relevant.

That said, Ukraines capability and will to resist weren’t broken by Iskander before Patriot and won’t be after.
View Quote

Well said and on point. The West has assumed total air dominance and never considered an alternative. Now they can either give ADA till it hurts or supply them a few older jets that are the necessary alternative. Ukraine is paying in lives for both the bad planning then and the dithering now. All (most) of this would be moot if we gave them some air power.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:48:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#19]
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Exactly how do you propose we protect it? They have filled it with anti tank mines, and placed explosives.
View Quote

Above my pay grade. No clue but I can’t see the US going and laying waist to a bunch of Russians after the fact they pikute another large portion of Europe. I just don’t.

We going to openly declare war on them?
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

With a credible show of the resolve to hold Russia responsible.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
They already lost a Mig due to being to close to a done being destroyed.
View Quote

I remember that story. Supposedly the pilot shot down a bunch of Shitheads that day. I was wondering if he was hit with debris from exploding Shitheads, hit stall speed trying to get a vector or what.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By centex_SR-15:

At the beginning of the full scale invasion, a Russian soldier posted a video on Telegram of himself raping a toddler.  That there are sick motherfuckers is understood, why would one would post it openly like that unless he believed it was OK to do?

View Quote
Its clear that doesn't matter to some posters here.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Above my pay grade. No clue but I can’t see the US going and laying waist to a bunch of Russians after the fact they pikute another large portion of Europe. I just don’t.

We going to openly declare war on them?
View Quote

I would hope behind the scenes it is being made clear that they will cease to exist as a country if they blow up the plant.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By absael:
View All Quotes
Big badaboom in Donetsk

The way it exploded many believe ammunition.  Geolocated to this area.  

Perhaps Russian barracks with their ammo stored in the basement like they did at Kherson?  

Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Its clear that doesn't matter to some posters here.
View Quote

I care.  I hope every Russian military person on the face of planet earth is incinerated alive in the fires of Hell for eternity.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

Ukraine inherited all they know about corruption from the former Soviet Union. They are working aggressively to clean it up and be more Western. Biden was getting bribes from oligarchs inherited from Soviets while the Ukraine prosecutor tried to investigate Burisma and Hunter. So it was Ukraine’s effort to clean up that earned them threats and ire from VP FJBiden.

Russia is the source and support for much of the corruption in the west. The sooner Russia falls into oblivion the better off we all will be. Right now Ukraine is the only nation willing to bleed to make that happen.
View Quote

And McDonalds is the source and support of obesity in the West.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#28]

I would hope behind the scenes it is being made clear that they will cease to exist as a country if they blow up the plant.
View Quote
It needs to be made clear that anyone that works with Russia if they cause the plant to meltdown they will receive harsh treatment too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ascendent:

I care.  I hope every Russian military person on the face of planet earth is incinerated alive in the fires of Hell for eternity.
View Quote
I was not the clearest in that post. There are members on this site that don't care. I was not intending to mean this thread.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Perhaps Russian barracks with their ammo stored in the basement like they did at Kherson?  

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0OU_IiWAAEa0K6?format=jpg&name=small
View All Quotes
Big badaboom in Donetsk

Most of the videos I have seen seem to have been started after the intital blast judging by the smoke and are showing a massive secondary explosion with all sorts of pops and bangs of smaller things going off.

Hoping some footage of the area will be released tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By GAU5-A-A:

Sadly, I don't believe the western response would be anything but playing the victim card.

From my time in the military, 95% of the officers I interacted with were looking out for their own self interests far more than anything else.  Few would show any initiative or politely challenge superiors, they were all trying to get to retirement without having to make any tough decisions.   They were always writing themselves memos and inventing excuses to cover their own failures to take action.   Personal integrity simply didn't exist except in the newby Lieutenants, and most of them caved pretty quickly.   Hell, the USAF redesigned ICBM launch procedures to account for the possibility of launch officers refusing to fire their missiles when given legitimate launch orders.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GAU5-A-A:
Boy howdy, if the Russians blow up ZNPP it's going to get interesting.

I think the western response won't matter as Poland pushes Russia's shit in.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Should start a thread in GD with that headline
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

Should start a thread in GD with that headline
View Quote

Nah. At some point arf staff/mods are going to reach a point where their patience with trolling from either side of the UA/RU debate runs out. Why tempt fate?
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
If that plant goes up Poland will invoke article 5 and its on.
View Quote

I was born shortly after Chernobyl happened. As a Cbrn dude I never expected to be in the liquidators MOS field when Chernobyl 2 happened
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#35]

He was trying to throw shade on Ukraine for cluster mines, and the article, (zero hedge ) only SUSPECTS Ukraine is using them. Everyone for the most part is saying good for them.
View Quote

Where?
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mancow:

WTF blue balls. I wanted to see him let it off.
View Quote

Paging Brandon Herrera.....
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#37]

What thread?

I’m at work and have been sleeping
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

What thread?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

What thread?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2656472_Ukrainian-Forces-Are-Using-Internationally-Banned-Scatter-Mines.html
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#40]
If the Russians are going to fabricate a meltdown, they will wait for the prevailing winds to be blowing northwest. Was southwest all day today.

It's kinda a bold strategy Cotton. Little weather hiccup and Donetsk and Rostov-on-Don get all glowie.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
If those stupid, inbred, fucking Orcs cause a radiological emergency as the ZNPP, then we need to give them an anal reaming unlike anything they've ever experienced before. You don't fuck around with nuclear power plants! This goes well beyond Ukraine. A release there becomes the world's problem. And the world needs to stand ready to put down this rabid animal otherwise known as Russia.
View Quote

As stupid as they have proven to be, I just can't believe they are stupid enough to blow up a nuclear plant.  That would be a monumental escalation.  They might as well just directly attack NATO.

I hope they are just playing mind games in the misguided hope that they can scare folks into capitulation.

They're are the drunk guy in a bar fight who is getting his ass kicked and decides to yell out "These hands and feet are licensed as deadly weapons!".  All done in the retarded hope that his adversary might pause and back down.

Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#42]
If RuS does somehting dumb with ZPP, I would hope that would arouse a significant and swift response from NATO.

As far as anyone is concerned, it should be considered a nuclear attack, which it is, and should not be up for debate.

Why is Russia so fucking stupid. There is no place for these rogue countries in the global sphere. That includes China, Iran, and every other destabilizing force on the planet.

It's time for a purge.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
If thats the case the casualties might be crazy high... yikes..
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#44]
will crosspost the interview tomorrow in this thread
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:58:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Birddog15] [#45]

Is it just me, or does the smoke in front of the fireball look like Jack Skellington from Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas.

ETA  Or maybe the Pope.

Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:

As stupid as they have proven to be, I just can't believe they are stupid enough to blow up a nuclear plant.  That would be a monumental escalation.  They might as well just directly attack NATO.

I hope they are just playing mind games in the misguided hope that they can scare folks into capitulation.

They're are the drunk guy in a bar fight who is getting his ass kicked and decides to yell out "These hands and feet are licensed as deadly weapons!".  All done in the retarded hope that his adversary might pause and back down.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
If those stupid, inbred, fucking Orcs cause a radiological emergency as the ZNPP, then we need to give them an anal reaming unlike anything they've ever experienced before. You don't fuck around with nuclear power plants! This goes well beyond Ukraine. A release there becomes the world's problem. And the world needs to stand ready to put down this rabid animal otherwise known as Russia.

Wouldn't that mean that since he's already using deadly weapons you can legally use one too and just shoot him?
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Is it just me, or does the smoke in front of the fireball look like Jack Skellington from Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas.

View Quote

This is Blyatoween, this is Blyatoween,
Blaytoween, Blyatoween...
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#48]

ETA  Or maybe the Pope.

View All Quotes

ETA  Or maybe the Pope.

Slow mo version.

Link Posted: 7/4/2023 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Like watching museum pieces rolling by.

Link Posted: 7/4/2023 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Live stream

Ukraine Update: Latest Developments with Andrew, Constantine, and Exit 2023-7-04

Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4424 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top