Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4695 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Some of ya'll visceral hatred for Trump is messing with your logic. Next we will hear how the Afghanistan fiasco would have been the same even if Trump was POTUS. Reagan was the same as Carter, Bush the same as Clinton, FBHO was the same as Trump, "sleepy joe is just doing what Trump would have done, except when it's stupid...then it still Trump's fault"  ..."all POTUS are the same...
View Quote

No kidding.  There was plenty of time to withdraw had we chosen to do so. Probably would have if the current piece of shit was in office then.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
I literally hate that saying

It is spoken by cowards, and/or people trying to protect the bear.
View Quote

Perhaps you need to pay attention more.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By vtmarine:

We used to train to shoot and “scoot” in under two minutes. It was very difficult to do.

At our best we had the counterfire drill to the point where for some trajectories we could have radar directed rounds out before the enemy fire actually landed. Impossible without en extensive digital network though.

With clouds of drones it has to be misery. Sit still and die from radar directed counterbattery. Move and die when the drones see movement and direct fire on you.
View Quote

Apparently Russian counterbattery detection is so poor now that Ukrainians don’t scoot because that’s how the drones find you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

Meanwhile the West pretends to believe China when it says they don’t provide military aid to Russia and thus don’t sanction China too. 😂😂😂

The West has to quickly get over its queasiness and stand up to multinational corps that drool at the thought of access to the population of China. China and Russia are enemies of free societies. Anyone that does business with them is an enemy of free societies.
View Quote

Agreed.  I hope we are at least applying some serious pressure behind the scenes.  This is one area where I am positive Trump would be a much stronger player in this game.  I expect he would be putting huge pressure on the Chinese if he were in Biden's shoes.  

The good news is that it looks like China is slowly losing its power.  It is still dangerous, but they have some serious issues, and regimes like that rarely have creative solutions to tough problems.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By silverstate55:

The bear is toothless, the preponderance of the Russian military “might” is engaged in Ukraine, Russian strategic forces are ineffective and virtually blind against incoming threats….. now is the time to poke, and poke as hard as we possibly can. Look back to the failed “readiness exercise” when FJB visited not long ago.
View Quote

It is amazing how many people think that nuclear war is not something to even consider in our decision making. I see it as adolescent chest thumping.  Easy to do on the internet, harder to do as an adult in real life with real consequences for a miscalculation.

I sure won't take the time to repost my bonifides as a hater of Russia and lover of freedom and thus Ukraine.  But you clearly are willing to bet millions of lives on Russia acting rationally and never going nuclear.  I am not willing to do that.  We need to beat them bad, but we need to beat them carefully.  IMHO

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:49:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stgdz] [#7]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Some of ya'll visceral hatred for Trump is messing with your logic. Next we will hear how the Afghanistan fiasco would have been the same even if Trump was POTUS. Reagan was the same as Carter, Bush the same as Clinton, FBHO was the same as Trump, "sleepy joe is just doing what Trump would have done, except when it's stupid...then it still Trump's fault"  ..."all POTUS are the same...
View Quote

Well he set.the deadline for may 2021 and the year before that the trump govt pushed to release a lot of Taliban prisoners.

I honestly don't.care how we got out as long as we go out.  We should have left in 2002-2003
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Paraflare:
Does anyone feel like we are on the cusp of some major developments?

I've been impatient watching the slow rolling, but when looking at the big picture, there is definitely a method to the madness.

I feel like even ONE major line break on the RUS side could cascade. I would love to see the Eastern front cut right in half, an isolated south east line and Crimea, and then a push North to clear the rest of the country.

And then push into Russia to DMZ that shit. Ok, that's maybe wishful thinking, but I digress.

Let's go!
View Quote

Maybe, and fingers crossed you are right.  That big bulge the Ukrainians have pushed down south is very promising, but I am pretty sure it has only penetrated their first line of defense.  That leaves two more to go.  Hopefully the Orcs are out of people to man those next two lines.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DKUltra] [#9]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I literally hate that saying

It is spoken by cowards, and/or people trying to protect the bear.

Help me out just a bit

What needs more attention?

This is a personal opinion! Built from years of people telling me not to "Poke The Bear"! Once again! Cowards! And people trying to protect "The Bear"!
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#10]
https://open.substack.com/pub/eurasianology/p/nato-joe-bidens-campaign-calculus
Interesting Substack article concluding that Biden’s slow walk support is his NSA Jake Sullivan’s deliberate campaign strategy. Author is disgusted at that as lives are being lost. And Jake’s timing may end up sending ATACMS and F-16 too late.

It seems predicated on the Rs yielding the Ukraine issue. The smart move would be to get ahead of Biden and shame him mercilessly before Jake allows him toy release those weapons.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

I couldn't really figure out what they were firing at. Trenches/foxholes?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Damn that was a bit nuts

Is it possible that the whole operation was just bait to get the Russian guns located?  That was wild.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Help me out just a bit

This is a personal opinion! Built from years of people telling me not to "Poke The Bear"! Once again! Cowards! And people trying to protect "The Bear"!
View Quote

You are calling me a coward and saying I want to protect Russia.  That is the clear implication in your own words.

Number one, that is just silly as you don't know me at all.  Number two, if you've paid much attention in this tread, I expect you would see I am pretty aggressive towards Russia.  I am just crazy enough to not want nuclear war and think that if things are handled wisely, we can beat the crap out of Russia without it developing into something we would really regret.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#13]

I figured you'd see a solution quickly.
View All Quotes
https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/08/17/ukraine-develops-autonomous-fpv-drones-photos/

https://euromaidanpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/fpv-drone-ukraine-800x500.jpg
https://euromaidanpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/4917526a-27621f663b1cb80ac4c9a007b1aae46a.jpg

Ukraine develops autonomous FPV drones: photos
Increasing domestic drone production is one of Ukraine’s most essential tasks, given both the high demand for UAVs and their heavy losses at the front

The Ukrainian company AirUnit is developing FPV drones with a self-guided system that should overcome Russian electronic warfare and increase the impact of strikes on Russian positions, Fokus said, citing co-owner of the company Andrii Shtepa.

Over the past 15 months, Ukaine’s Defense Ministry has already put into service more than 30 models of unmanned aerial vehicles of various types, from reconnaissance and attack drones to loitering munitions.

However, Russia also effectively introduces technologies into its army and efficiently utilizes inexpensive solutions. The cheaper the means one side employs and the greater the losses they impose on the other, the more effective they make combat operations.

“We need cost-effective solutions that will achieve at least 20% effectiveness when launching a kamikaze drone to alter the situation on the front significantly. We aim to create a reliable product that will work flawlessly, pose no issues, be user-friendly, and exhibit an efficiency exceeding 20%,” Andrii Shtepa said.

According to the developer’s calculations, the effectiveness of Ukrainian FPV drones is currently around 10%. The effectiveness of the Russian Lancet drones is approximately 25%-30%.  

With the autonomous system, the drone operator will need to capture the target by clicking on the object on the screen, and the drone will be able to fly to it independently, even under the influence of electronic warfare. Most often, communication with the ground station is lost if there is no electronic suppression when the drone descends and goes to the target – radio signals do not reach due to the terrain.  

“Currently, there is a global issue – none of the Ukrainian drone manufacturers have solved the issue of automatic guidance. This is exactly what we want to offer first. Perhaps someone will be a little ahead of us, but we already have an agreement with manufacturers of processors and chips for computer vision. We plan to solve the problem by using computer vision and building an algorithm for the drone’s operation during a loss of communication,” Shtepa said.

The self-guided system makes drones two to three times more expensive, but according to Shtepa, this price will not be extremely high.

“We started working with drone components and received Evaluation Kits for testing and assembling prototypes, which comes out to $180 for an onboard computer, which will essentially be a flight controller, which is very cheap. I think, the final cost of the board we will offer will be around 25,000-30,000 hryvnias, which is not much more expensive than the products already available in Ukraine,” Shtepa concluded.  

The first prototypes of the self-guided FPV drones will be delivered to the Ukrainian military in September, and after confirmation of their effectiveness, mass production will begin.

Currently, the company manufactures three types of drones for different tasks and targets: a 7-inch frame drone, a 9-inch frame drone, and a wing-type drone for rear targets.

“We plan to produce 10,000 FPV drones of all three types by the end of the year,” said the project manager.  

AirUnit also brings to Ukraine and helps to integrate electronic warfare and reconnaissance equipment from the German AARonia company.

So, they plan to use a BeagleBone Blue? www.amazon.com/dp/B099WFJXLT

It runs the ardupilot firmware and can also run other stuff concurrently. It would be just about right for this application.

I just bought one of those units because I saw it was only $48. That's a whole lot cheaper than a full Pixhawk cube. And, it's cheaper than I've seen it before (had been $99).

Dang, this place costs me money even when not trying.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#15]

That too, they put a few into the dirt nearby.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:
Damn that was a bit nuts

I think it was a treeline, trench position.  Another section of the video shows the tank firing at the northern part of Urozhaine.  The end of the video you can see another vehicle doing a run as well.

I think their gun stabilizer was inop as well. Some of their shots didn't go very far.

There was a video a while back of some point blank tank-on-emplaced orc action, and during a rapid reverse the tank shot a round into the ground that saved their ass, since a Russian ATGM flew through the dust and smoke from that shot and narrowly missed them.  It looked very intentional, like they knew there was a missile team there and were covering.  This is back when we were getting multiple videos of them battling in that field that had a bermed-off flat dirt section next to intersecting wooded edges.  Surely we're tons of wild shots, but I've seen others since then that I thought could have been firing into the ground to create a screen.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

View Quote

Good!
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]

I just bought one of those units because I saw it was only $48. That's a whole lot cheaper than a full Pixhawk cube. And, it's cheaper than I've seen it before (had been $99).

View All Quotes
https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/08/17/ukraine-develops-autonomous-fpv-drones-photos/

https://euromaidanpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/fpv-drone-ukraine-800x500.jpg
https://euromaidanpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/4917526a-27621f663b1cb80ac4c9a007b1aae46a.jpg

Increasing domestic drone production is one of Ukraine’s most essential tasks, given both the high demand for UAVs and their heavy losses at the front

The Ukrainian company AirUnit is developing FPV drones with a self-guided system that should overcome Russian electronic warfare and increase the impact of strikes on Russian positions, Fokus said, citing co-owner of the company Andrii Shtepa.

Over the past 15 months, Ukaine’s Defense Ministry has already put into service more than 30 models of unmanned aerial vehicles of various types, from reconnaissance and attack drones to loitering munitions.

However, Russia also effectively introduces technologies into its army and efficiently utilizes inexpensive solutions. The cheaper the means one side employs and the greater the losses they impose on the other, the more effective they make combat operations.

“We need cost-effective solutions that will achieve at least 20% effectiveness when launching a kamikaze drone to alter the situation on the front significantly. We aim to create a reliable product that will work flawlessly, pose no issues, be user-friendly, and exhibit an efficiency exceeding 20%,” Andrii Shtepa said.

According to the developer’s calculations, the effectiveness of Ukrainian FPV drones is currently around 10%. The effectiveness of the Russian Lancet drones is approximately 25%-30%.  

With the autonomous system, the drone operator will need to capture the target by clicking on the object on the screen, and the drone will be able to fly to it independently, even under the influence of electronic warfare. Most often, communication with the ground station is lost if there is no electronic suppression when the drone descends and goes to the target – radio signals do not reach due to the terrain.  

“Currently, there is a global issue – none of the Ukrainian drone manufacturers have solved the issue of automatic guidance. This is exactly what we want to offer first. Perhaps someone will be a little ahead of us, but we already have an agreement with manufacturers of processors and chips for computer vision. We plan to solve the problem by using computer vision and building an algorithm for the drone’s operation during a loss of communication,” Shtepa said.

The self-guided system makes drones two to three times more expensive, but according to Shtepa, this price will not be extremely high.

“We started working with drone components and received Evaluation Kits for testing and assembling prototypes, which comes out to $180 for an onboard computer, which will essentially be a flight controller, which is very cheap. I think, the final cost of the board we will offer will be around 25,000-30,000 hryvnias, which is not much more expensive than the products already available in Ukraine,” Shtepa concluded.  

The first prototypes of the self-guided FPV drones will be delivered to the Ukrainian military in September, and after confirmation of their effectiveness, mass production will begin.

Currently, the company manufactures three types of drones for different tasks and targets: a 7-inch frame drone, a 9-inch frame drone, and a wing-type drone for rear targets.

“We plan to produce 10,000 FPV drones of all three types by the end of the year,” said the project manager.  

AirUnit also brings to Ukraine and helps to integrate electronic warfare and reconnaissance equipment from the German AARonia company.

It runs the ardupilot firmware and can also run other stuff concurrently. It would be just about right for this application.

lol, that's awesome, glad I could help!
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:53:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#18]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

There was a video a while back of some point blank tank-on-emplaced orc action, and during a rapid reverse the tank shot a round into the ground that saved their ass, since a Russian ATGM flew through the dust and smoke from that shot and narrowly missed them.  It looked very intentional, like they knew there was a missile team there and were covering.  This is back when we were getting multiple videos of them battling in that field that had a bermed-off flat dirt section next to intersecting wooded edges.  Surely we're tons of wild shots, but I've seen others since then that I thought could have been firing into the ground to create a screen.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
Originally Posted By Dracster:
Damn that was a bit nuts

I think it was a treeline, trench position.  Another section of the video shows the tank firing at the northern part of Urozhaine.  The end of the video you can see another vehicle doing a run as well.

I think their gun stabilizer was inop as well. Some of their shots didn't go very far.

That's one alternative, I do remember those videos.  Also like Birddog15 said it could be used to allow the drones to find the Russian mortars and artillery.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:56:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#19]

Piano burning is a fighter pilot tradition, which began during the Battle of Britain during World War II. The Royal Air Force pilots were to be gentlemen and proposed the solution to have anyone who wasn't trained in piano to be given lessons. One day the pilots squadron club was burned to the ground for an unknown reason, spreading the word to other squadrons and thus beginning ignition of pianos. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Tabatha Duarte/Released)
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By GBTX01:

I was thinking about this the other day.  While it is obvious that China wants Taiwan, it may be an easier battle to take land and resources from Eastern Russia.   Russia is weak and spread thin.   The Chinese military hasn't been battle tested in a long time.   May be a good trial run to seize land from Russia first.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

It's in ChinaIsAsshoe's interest for the war to last a long time because they see Russia is self-immolating. They will get one of their primary competitors taken off the board without having to actually do anything but sit back and laugh. (And, they'll be making profits on selling stuff to both sides.)

I was thinking about this the other day.  While it is obvious that China wants Taiwan, it may be an easier battle to take land and resources from Eastern Russia.   Russia is weak and spread thin.   The Chinese military hasn't been battle tested in a long time.   May be a good trial run to seize land from Russia first.

What China wants from Taiwan is not land or natural recourses. What they want is technology and production capability of chips that Taiwan excels at.  China makes chips already you say?  Yes, but not the complex and newest chips that Taiwan can make. China is behind, and would rather steal  than develop on their own. Just like they have stolen thousands of pieces of technology from the US and Europe over the years.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:03:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jaehaerys] [#21]
Portrait of Ukrainian advances. Great article. Some exerpts:

From the beginning of May to the present, 3 OShBr \[3rd Separate Assault Brigade\] mounted six deliberate operations southwest of Bakhmut. They all succeeded. These were day, infantry-led assaults, in company and platoon strength against strong points and trench lines. Tanks were used in ones and twos to lead in assaults and to provoke flight. Objectives were ‘prepped’ with artillery and rocket fire. Over the twelve weeks, 3 OShBr inflicted a three-figure number of casualties on Russian forces while only suffering light casualties. Around 20 prisoners were taken (with video evidence), but the true number will be higher. Russian equipment and ammunition storage sites were destroyed. Four units were defeated and a Russian major general was sacked and then apparently re-instated.

Notwithstanding this success, there is the unavoidable question of tempo. The explanations for 3OShBr’s slow advance do not lie in mine belts and defensive obstacles which are slowing down the Ukrainian counter-offensive on the Zaphorizhzhia front. Russian forces never built these in this sector, as they were advancing with the intent to capture Bakhmut and the surrounding area. The three principal reasons for the slow tempo are:

* **Casualty aversion**: 3 OShBr has been pursuing a deliberate policy of re-capturing ground, incurring no or few casualties. This goal has been achieved but has reduced the tempo of Ukrainian operations.
* **Soldier weights**: In an infantry war, an assault can only advance as far as a soldier of average fitness can fight before exhaustion sets in.
* **Artillery**: Artillery (and rocket) fire is still accounting for four in five casualties. This may explain why of 100 Ukrainian soldiers wounded within 3 miles of the front line, 36% are very seriously wounded (shrapnel wounds). After capturing a Russian strongpoint or trench line, Ukrainian troops perforce must remain in place as the standard Russian response is to bombard the lost positions. In one recent case, Ukrainian soldiers had to share the trenches with the Russian dead which could not be moved (not least because the departing Russians, who not uncommonly abandon their dead, had booby-trapped the corpses). The only option was to cover the corpses with plastic sheets which due to the cramped conditions were used as ‘soft’ seats, while smoking heavily to disguise the smells. A Ukrainian soldier asked whether he was not afraid one of bodies might suddenly detonate, replied; ‘Everything is detonating here.'

This methodical approach has worked for 3 OShBr, but it carries an important penalty: breakthrough is not achieved. The defender is afforded 2-3 week windows to reinforce, re-build defences, and prepare for the next Ukrainian push. This has been the pattern for the last three months. Emphatically, this war is not the coming of the tank Antichrist – the tank a platform with ‘no future’ – as some commentary suggests. On the contrary: every day is a reminder that until someone rediscovers brigade-level, mobile, all arms, armoured warfare, the grinding penny-packet infantry attrition will continue.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Yeah there was another vehicle to the left. I thought maybe he was skipping tank rounds. Grazing fire with a 125mm!!! Non-stabilized gun and hauling ass over rough terrain...And some of the RU arty just missed them by a second or two. Amazing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:

I kind of think Trump sort of forgot about Afghanistan and wasn't really fully aware that we were at war for the whole four years he was President. I think it slipped his mind because it never gave him any opportunity for a photo op or claim what a great thing he did.

I'm sure if he was President he would be very focused on Ukraine's relationship to Hunter Biden or a photo op shaking Putin's hand and so he might have a better shot at knowing something is going on there than with Afghanistan.
View Quote

Yeah...except when Trump told the head asshole of the taliban his exact location and told him if any Americans die, he WILL be targeted personally...and not one US service person died after. Not until chief shits-in-pants took over...
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

That's where you're wrong. Russia provoked this conflict. They own it, and ALL the consequences. Not only Moldova, but Japan should get the Kurils back. Faced with a devastating war in Ukraine, losing Transnistria and Kurils might be enough for even the siloviki to turn on Putin. We should keep poking until the Kremlin loses the ability to export unrest, war, and destruction.

Sure, some people fear what happens if Russia collapses, is wracked by popular uprising and/or civil war. But in a way, having that happen would remove Russia's ability to generate trouble for the rest of the world.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Giving up land for entrance into NATO is a pragmatic idea.  We may not like it, but if Ukraine eventually chooses that path, I'd understand.  

For those who say that this will just delay Russia's next attack; Russia has shown no inclination to go to war with NATO.  If they do decide to attack NATO down the road at some point, then all of this worry over Ukraine and its territory will be a moot point.  The world will have much bigger worries.

Whether Russia loses to Ukraine next year and goes back home with no Ukrainian territory, or goes home with a little Ukrainian territory, really doesn't make much difference in the long run, as far as long term security goes for Ukraine.  Either way, Ukraine is ending up in NATO and Russia will be very unlikely to attack it again.  

Obviously, we all hope that Ukraine keeps every square inch of its territory and that every Russian that set foot in Ukraine ends up as dirt.  But Ukraine is the one with more and more families visiting grave sites every day, so how this ends is their decision alone to make.  

That's why I say give up Crimea and Russia loses Donetsk and Luhansk.

The defensive line in northern Crimea is going to be a tough nut to crack. It's a win for Ukraine and a major loss for Russia.

BUT before that deal happens Ukraine needs to liberate Transnistria and send it back to Moldova.

That would be the ultimate defeat for Russia.
That would be sweet, but we need to be careful how many sticks we poke the bear with.  

That's where you're wrong. Russia provoked this conflict. They own it, and ALL the consequences. Not only Moldova, but Japan should get the Kurils back. Faced with a devastating war in Ukraine, losing Transnistria and Kurils might be enough for even the siloviki to turn on Putin. We should keep poking until the Kremlin loses the ability to export unrest, war, and destruction.

Sure, some people fear what happens if Russia collapses, is wracked by popular uprising and/or civil war. But in a way, having that happen would remove Russia's ability to generate trouble for the rest of the world.

Agree.  This is how I feel.

Look, the Cold War never ended.  We have been fighting Russia continuously since 1945, and they have cost this country far too much.  They were behind the Korean conflict.  Vietnam was their fault.  And so many other conflicts.

And look at their programs to subvert our society, interfere with our elections, and bring us down?  It is a constant effort, and the Russians are good at these ops.

So, let’s end them.  Permanently.

Let’s say they break up:  so what?  A fractured Russia can only be less effective at interfering in our affairs than the current Russia.

What about nukes?  Russia today can probably launch a few functioning nukes, but a fractured Russia will be far less likely to be able to maintain their nukes.

Do not fear taking down Russia.  The time to end Russia is now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

Well he set.the deadline for may 2021 and the year before that the trump govt pushed to release a lot of Taliban prisoners.

I honestly don't.care how we got out as long as we go out.  We should have left in 2002-2003
View Quote

You should tell that to the 13 Gold Star families...
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#26]

You are calling me a coward and saying I want to protect Russia.  That is the clear implication in your own words.

Number one, that is just silly as you don't know me at all.  Number two, if you've paid much attention in this tread, I expect you would see I am pretty aggressive towards Russia.  I am just crazy enough to not want nuclear war and think that if things are handled wisely, we can beat the crap out of Russia without it developing into something we would really regret.  

View All Quotes
Help me out just a bit

Uhhh OK

Not once have I called you a coward! My Man!

please don't try to make my statement more than it is! Its my opinion! And mine alone! And has nothing to do with you personally! Sorry if it came across that way!

Your now thread sliding! And personally attacking me! For my opinion! Move on please! Before I have to report this BS!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

I'm not so sure.

Trump called Putin's move "genius" on day one.

I could almost envision Trump saying to his "friend" Putin "you take the Eastern half and we'll take the rest".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Like I said Obamas foreign policy was total shit.

And honestly if Trump was re-elected, this wouldn't be happening IMO.

I'm not so sure.

Trump called Putin's move "genius" on day one.

I could almost envision Trump saying to his "friend" Putin "you take the Eastern half and we'll take the rest".

If Zelensky was as much a man as Obama or Biden, Trump would have been right.  World distracted, the other country that agreed to remove Nukes from Ukraine doing fuck all...

But because Ukraine held on long enough for the world to see what Russia was doing, and because Ukrainians look like us, and not some third world nation, popular opinion forced Biden to do something, however small it was, and then the snowball got bigger as it rolled.

I can't imagine that Trump would ever have supported Russia's invasion.  Had he been in office it would have been an affront to him as leader of the nation that signed the agreement setting Ukraine as a sovereign nation.  Only because he saw it as Putin taking advantage of a weak Biden did he say it was "genius".  If it happened under his watch he would have had to "win" as he always seems to need to do.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

From the beginning of May to the present, 3 OShBr \[3rd Separate Assault Brigade\] mounted six deliberate operations southwest of Bakhmut. They all succeeded. These were day, infantry-led assaults, in company and platoon strength against strong points and trench lines. Tanks were used in ones and twos to lead in assaults and to provoke flight. Objectives were ‘prepped’ with artillery and rocket fire. Over the twelve weeks, 3 OShBr inflicted a three-figure number of casualties on Russian forces while only suffering light casualties. Around 20 prisoners were taken (with video evidence), but the true number will be higher. Russian equipment and ammunition storage sites were destroyed. Four units were defeated and a Russian major general was sacked and then apparently re-instated.

Notwithstanding this success, there is the unavoidable question of tempo. The explanations for 3OShBr’s slow advance do not lie in mine belts and defensive obstacles which are slowing down the Ukrainian counter-offensive on the Zaphorizhzhia front. Russian forces never built these in this sector, as they were advancing with the intent to capture Bakhmut and the surrounding area. The three principal reasons for the slow tempo are:

* **Casualty aversion**: 3 OShBr has been pursuing a deliberate policy of re-capturing ground, incurring no or few casualties. This goal has been achieved but has reduced the tempo of Ukrainian operations.
* **Soldier weights**: In an infantry war, an assault can only advance as far as a soldier of average fitness can fight before exhaustion sets in.
* **Artillery**: Artillery (and rocket) fire is still accounting for four in five casualties. This may explain why of 100 Ukrainian soldiers wounded within 3 miles of the front line, 36% are very seriously wounded (shrapnel wounds). After capturing a Russian strongpoint or trench line, Ukrainian troops perforce must remain in place as the standard Russian response is to bombard the lost positions. In one recent case, Ukrainian soldiers had to share the trenches with the Russian dead which could not be moved (not least because the departing Russians, who not uncommonly abandon their dead, had booby-trapped the corpses). The only option was to cover the corpses with plastic sheets which due to the cramped conditions were used as ‘soft’ seats, while smoking heavily to disguise the smells. A Ukrainian soldier asked whether he was not afraid one of bodies might suddenly detonate, replied; ‘Everything is detonating here.'

This methodical approach has worked for 3 OShBr, but it carries an important penalty: breakthrough is not achieved. The defender is afforded 2-3 week windows to reinforce, re-build defences, and prepare for the next Ukrainian push. This has been the pattern for the last three months. Emphatically, this war is not the coming of the tank Antichrist – the tank a platform with ‘no future’ – as some commentary suggests. On the contrary: every day is a reminder that until someone rediscovers brigade-level, mobile, all arms, armoured warfare, the grinding penny-packet infantry attrition will continue.

This explains a lot really.   The good news is that it also means that Ukrainian forces aren't suffering the casualties some predicted because of the tactics they are using.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope this gets jammed up his ass.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#30]

This explains a lot really.   The good news is that it also means that Ukrainian forces aren't suffering the casualties some predicted because of the tactics they are using.
View All Quotes

I agree, provided these tactics are widespread (and I think they probably are), but it's important to note that this is just an examination of one unit in one sector. My intuition is that units like the 47th down in Zaporizhzhia attempted to fight very aggressively initially using a lot of armor, got their cherries popped, and shifted to fighting like the 3rd Assault Brigade is southwest of Bakhmut. Provided that this take is correct, I think it says good things about Ukrainian force composition going forward.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#31]

Is it possible that the whole operation was just bait to get the Russian guns located?  That was wild.

View Quote

That's exactly what they do, though often with faster, cheaper hummers and apc's rather than risking expensive heavy MBT's.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

If we ever get in a drone war, I might kick in a few bucks for you to move to south Alabama.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:

I like the process used on other forums: thumbs-up and thumbs-down for individual comments.  

How I'd implement it: if a single comment gets enough thumbs-down, it becomes hidden AND unquotable.  If that same user posts, say, three total comments in the same thread and they get enough thumbs-down that all three become hidden, the user is automatically locked out of posting in that thread.  

In real life, if a person goes inside a gun show or gun rights convention and starts preaching about gun control and/or badmouthing gun owners, he WILL get escorted out of the event.  I've seen it.

There's no reason we shouldn't be able to implement something like this.  Change my mind, if you can.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Originally Posted By sywagon:
The provocations are trolling, with a capitol T. You are saying you see them. They are a COC violation. What is being done about it - has anyone gotten a warning even for trolling?

This is a situation where propaganda from one of our country's biggest enemies, which is unarguably also a terrorist state, is being promoted actively and vigorously on this site. That is beyond trolling, but also fits that definition. Is anything being done about the people who constantly start those threads. e.g. with a Ritter or Zero Hedge link to kick it off?

Like I mentioned in my previous reply: You think we can just carefully excise those comments without also gutting the essence of GD? You're thinking in narrow terms confined to the Ukr-Rus conflict, but whatever moderating decisions are reached will affect ALL of Arfcom. It ain't as easy as it looks. Believe me, I wish it were...

I like the process used on other forums: thumbs-up and thumbs-down for individual comments.  

How I'd implement it: if a single comment gets enough thumbs-down, it becomes hidden AND unquotable.  If that same user posts, say, three total comments in the same thread and they get enough thumbs-down that all three become hidden, the user is automatically locked out of posting in that thread.  

In real life, if a person goes inside a gun show or gun rights convention and starts preaching about gun control and/or badmouthing gun owners, he WILL get escorted out of the event.  I've seen it.

There's no reason we shouldn't be able to implement something like this.  Change my mind, if you can.

That is a wonderful idea.

I don't post much and I don't usually get involved disputing ignorance because, quite frankly, I don't wish to spend part of my few remaining years arguing with idiots.

I would love a thumbs up down option.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:

Sounds like tyranny of the majority
View All Quotes

Yeah, it's a lot tougher than one might think on the surface, as a mod JUST told us a few pages back.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:18:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GBTX01] [#35]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Bradley popping smoke
View Quote

Seems to be more activity at night.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Glock63:

Too bad. Freedom of speech doesn't apply here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glock63:

Too bad. Freedom of speech doesn't apply here.

LOL, you sound like you're new here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Russians will be jailed for photos and videos of drone attacks

The Federation Council proposed to prohibit the dissemination in the media and the Internet of photos and videos of places of shelling, drone attacks and deployment of troops, except for those provided by the Russian Defense Ministry.

The corresponding bill was developed by a group of senators from the Committee on Constitutional Legislation and State Construction, head of the committee Andrey Klishas told TASS.

According to him, in the conditions of the war with Ukraine, the data published by citizens become a source of information for the enemy. The Armed Forces of Ukraine use photo and video materials to identify the location of military equipment, weapons and ammunition, "as well as any potential combat target."

“For example, the moment of launching a ballistic missile, captured on video, allows you to determine the flight path, and therefore, when it hits the final target, it reveals the location of the launcher by mathematical calculation,” the senator explained.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/15082

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Prime:

View All Quotes

Bradley popping smoke

Good to see them taking advantage of their night fighting capabilities. The lack of proliferation of night vision among conventional forces is something that's been noted by a number of commentators.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Vlad does a fantastic video

How Putin Fooled the Western Left

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By K0UA:What China wants from Taiwan is not land or natural recourses. What they want is technology and production capability of chips that Taiwan excels at.  China makes chips already you say?  Yes, but not the complex and newest chips that Taiwan can make. China is behind, and would rather steal  than develop on their own. Just like they have stolen thousands of pieces of technology from the US and Europe over the years.
View Quote

China's objective in Taiwan is the same as Russia's in Ukraine: empire, and the restoration of rule over historical possessions. If Taiwan had no semiconductor manufacturing at all, China wild still feel as strongly about wanting it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:54:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#44]

Olya Harlan with a fan.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Good to see them taking advantage of their night fighting capabilities. The lack of proliferation of night vision among conventional forces is something that's been noted by a number of commentators.
View Quote

Exactly.

Bradleys have superior nightfighting capabilities. Use them!
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Oof!
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:It is amazing how many people think that nuclear war is not something to even consider in our decision making. I see it as adolescent chest thumping.  Easy to do on the internet, harder to do as an adult in real life with real consequences for a miscalculation.

I sure won't take the time to repost my bonifides as a hater of Russia and lover of freedom and thus Ukraine.  But you clearly are willing to bet millions of lives on Russia acting rationally and never going nuclear.  I am not willing to do that.  We need to beat them bad, but we need to beat them carefully.  IMHO
View Quote

First, Russia does have an internal logic. Not like ours, but they have thought processes. They are homicidal, but not suicidal. And I really don't think anybody is ignoring Russian nukes, only pointing out that Russia has no basis to use them, even under their own doctrine. There is absolutely nothing about the Ukraine conflict that threatens the existence of the Russian state, and nobody is going to launch on Russia, so they aren't going to launch.

Second, I think there's been a wake-up call inside Russian military circles. Having seen how badly their equipment performs, they have to be scared to pop nukes because of reliability issues. They can't launch any limited strike, because they have to believe a large percentage of warheads would fail to deploy, fail to go to target, or fail to detonate. And any nuclear strike would be an act of national suicide. Worse, because of system failures, they know they would be ended, but the rest of the world would survive. And every survivor would slaughter every Russian they found until the entire people group was extinct. That's what Russia faces if they pop nukes: extinction.

I agree we need to beat them carefully, but where that line lies is open to debate. I think we can safely push the line farther. Remember, Russian military forces were actively killing US personnel in Korea and Vietnam, and we let them. And we're still not involved in killing Russians, unless they attack us (see Syria). That's a good, safe rule. Let Ukraine fight, but give them the tools they need.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#48]

The Federation Council proposed to prohibit the dissemination in the media and the Internet of photos and videos of places of shelling, drone attacks and deployment of troops, except for those provided by the Russian Defense Ministry.

The corresponding bill was developed by a group of senators from the Committee on Constitutional Legislation and State Construction, head of the committee Andrey Klishas told TASS.

According to him, in the conditions of the war with Ukraine, the data published by citizens become a source of information for the enemy. The Armed Forces of Ukraine use photo and video materials to identify the location of military equipment, weapons and ammunition, "as well as any potential combat target."

“For example, the moment of launching a ballistic missile, captured on video, allows you to determine the flight path, and therefore, when it hits the final target, it reveals the location of the launcher by mathematical calculation,” the senator explained.

View Quote

It sure would be fun to start a thread about this but change all the references to Ukraine/Zelensky/etc., let it stew for a few pages, then bring out the plot twist.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Russia is saving the world from corrupt West, one statue at a time!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_3027-2920666.jpg
View Quote

Sweet! This will give Russians something to tear down again.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

This is a fool's errand. With all the dashcams they have over there, they'd have to shut down all road traffic to not pick anything up. They'd have a real revolt if everyone got told to shut off their dash cams.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4695 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top