Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4948 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:04:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Shahed hunters: how Ukrainian air defense shoots down Iranian Kamikadze drones launched by Russia

'Shahed hunters': Air Force of Ukraine continue to shoot down Iranian drones launched by Russia

Videos I discussed previously.

Hmmwv DMS and the pickup trucks with DSHKs are pretty popular.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:49:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
New 1420 video. A Pan-European council officially declared Russia a dictatorship, which gave Daniil an excuse to ask Russians if they agree. He was in outside the Moscow State Institute of Foreign Relations and got an interesting mix of responses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMBrfwsjiM
View Quote

That guy is always interesting.   I think Putin allows him to live, only to entrap the unwary.    

I bet we’ve chatted with This Guy a time or three.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi2vtp3WYwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XSGAMbn50Q

View Quote

They sure seem to be effective. Very few Shaheds are getting through. They must be downing 80%, 85%?

And to think GD geniuses were traipsing through here assuring us Patriot was being used to shoot Shaheds and Muh Missiles!!

Obviously Ukraine needs thousands of every type of missiles but Ukraine is employing cost effective auto cannons and machine guns and manpads mostly for these.

Great videos.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:14:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#5]
VIDEO

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Ben Hodges - Compilation of 4 Silicon Curtain Interviews with Lt. Gen. Ben Hodges - Oct-22 to Jun-23
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:
@Fund_GARISSON

Here is the balaclava displayed in my classroom.  My kids (fourth grade) begged me to let them be in the picture giving you guys a bunch of thumbs up!  They are very pro Ukraine. But the county would have my head for posting their pictures on AR15.com.  LOL

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/270175/Balaclava_jpg-2970560.JPG

Super!!!thank you

ETA  My kids thought it was the coolest thing in the world that this had come to their classroom all the way from the front lines in Ukraine.  A few times a week someone raises their hand and asks about how things are going in Ukraine.  Kids being kids, they hate bullies.  They would give you all of our nuclear weapons if they could!

Huge thanks!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#9]

One Tu-95 at Engels Airbase.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Why Are the Russians So Bad? War Stories from Ukraine with Neil Vermillion

Pretty good interview with an early volunteer
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Casualties, Battlefield Medicine, & Lessons from Ukraine - Threats, Logistics & Innovations
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

It's more nuanced than that for sure but realistically russian hasnt developed or fielded anything in numbers since the 80s. So its not really a surprise that upgraded western 90s designed stuff is doing well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

Well you know,  I'm not saying the MIC is flawless or above criticism when it merits it. But they're not churning out junk. US weapons designed in the 80s and 90s are proving to be a match for the latest Russia has.

We should be putting our most precious resource first. Which is the lives of our young men and women. If it was the other way around, people here would be screaming their heads off about all the casualties we're taking and why didn't we invest in this or that.

Yeah stuff costs more, we shouldn't be cheaping out on our future warfighters.

It's more nuanced than that for sure but realistically russian hasnt developed or fielded anything in numbers since the 80s. So its not really a surprise that upgraded western 90s designed stuff is doing well.

I dont think they have designed anything since the last of their WW2 German salves died
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:25:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#13]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

The setup is a thermal on the MG and linked with a occular display?
Anybody got a link to the product?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi2vtp3WYwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XSGAMbn50Q

The setup is a thermal on the MG and linked with a occular display?
Anybody got a link to the product?

Yeah, it's an older model, we used to call "RedEye" because of the lense in it, it allows you to see what the sight it's plugged into sees.    I can't remember the exact model though.

Similar to this:

https://nightvisionhome.com/product/heads-up-display/

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:
I've been very busy lately, but here's the recent War on the Rocks interview with Michael Kofman about the state of the Ukrainian offensive and Zelensky's visit to Washington.

Key takeaways:

. Ukrainian progress south of Bakhmut is notable. It'll be interesting to see if they can take the high ground around Kurdymivka.

. There's been a renewed Ukrainian push towards Verbove, which is the linchpin of Russian defenses in the area. It's currently being held by VDV elements from the 7th and 76th divisions. There's a debate in the community about whether Russia has enough forces to hold, considering their deployment of so many strategic reserves in the area.

. Calls the Ukrainian advances beyond the 2nd Surovikin line is a "breach" not a breakthrough, since the Russian defense is being pressed but not collapsing.

. He goes into a discussion about how to define a breakthrough vs a breach, says he tends to be conservative about it. Troops don't like it when you claim victory on their behalf, or declare they've broken enemy lines when they aren't there yet. Also misleading to the public.

. To consider it a breakthrough, he would like to see Ukrainian mechanized/motorized units operating behind the line largely uncontested and see significant withdrawals of Russian forces, not just 100m at a time. It entails a sense of momentum.

. Kofman: "I wanna be optimistic about this, I think Ukrainian forces are widening a breach through this line of defense that they hope to turn into a breakthrough." It remains to be seen if Ukrainians can pick up the pace or if the current (slow) pace of advance will continue up to the Winter or through the Winter.

. Current assessment of the offensive: Ukrainian forces have penetrated the first Russian line of defense and in some places the second line of defense, causing a breach not a breakthrough of Russian lines though it might be trending in that direction.

. Q: This offensive may continue indefinitely at the current pace, how do you judge its success if that happens? A: analysts need to bound and judge an offensive based on their own framework, it's rare that offensives are announced to be over. If the Ukrainian objective is to continue pressing Russian forces going into the Winter, and also through the Winter then the intensity of fighting might eventually decline to a level which can be sustained through the Winter, which will make it challenging for analysts to determine when to call the offensive over or not. Kofman clarifies that he doesn't see it this way, he will judge the offensive based on the goals it set for itself: namely the maximalist goal of reaching the Azov coast and capture of Melitopol as well as the minimalist goal of reaching Tokmak.

. If Ukrainian forces are able to reach Tokmak he would consider the offensive a qualified success. Even if they don't, it could still be considered a success depending on the damage they are able to inflict on Russian forces vs what they themselves suffered.

. Kofman thinks Ukraine likely has a positive ratio of casualties and equipment destroyed in this offensive. He also thinks Ukraine likely has the ammunition available to continue the offensive into or through the Winter, though he's unsure about Ukrainian force availability to continue the offensive that long. He thinks the Ukrainian military is aiming to keep the initiative at least into the Winter.

. He thinks Ukraine is able to rotate their forces launching attacks in Zaporizhzhia adequately, but its unclear what the state of Ukrainian assault forces are, which is different from the number of brigades Ukraine has available on paper.

. Weather won't impact the offensive if it continues at the current pace, but if Ukrainians are hoping for a breakthrough, that would be affected since vehicles are required for higher pace of movement. If Ukraine doesn't achieve a breakthrough, it will be a very long slog to Tokmak.

. Goal of Zelensky's visit was to advocate for the $24b supplemental aid package to Ukraine stuck in Congress. Kofman thinks that those in Washington who hoped Ukraine's offensive would put them in a superior negotiating position have abandoned these hopes and people are starting to wake up to the fact that this will be a long war and that all the potential opportunities to end the war more quickly have been missed. Ukraine will need Western investment in their domestic equipment production and maintenance facilities, and increased Western training support to enable them to reconstitute their forces.

. Long periods of heavy attritional fighting is going to become necessary to put pressure on Russian forces and prevent them from being able to go on the offensive, and Ukraine will need Western support to be able to do this.

. Kofman hopes that key decisionmakers are finally coming to the realization that this is a long war and it will continue for a long time, and that Ukraine needs longterm commitments and investments to keep up the fight.

. Without another round of mobilization Kofman doesn't think Russia will be able to go on the offensive again.

. Kofman differentiated between Ukrainian Intelligence Service drone campaign and the military cruise missiles strike campaign. He thinks the GUR campaign is focused on getting Russian domestic audience to wake up to the fact that there's a war going on and especially to convince Russian elites that there's no guarantee of Russian victory and their livelihoods are also on the line. The military cruise missiles campaign is more focused on solid military targets, especially on degrading the Russian Black Sea fleet and potentially forcing them to rebase to Novorossisk. Western support in targeting and ISR and the inherent difficulty in defending Crimea has made this strike campaign quite effective. He also thinks we're actually looking at a number of different parts of the Ukrainian military with different goals and strategies and lumping them altogether.

. Ukrainians are likely to get the M29 cluster munitions variant of ATACMS. It's shorter range, but should prove effective targeting Russian forward helicopter operating bases (like Berdiansk), as well as Russian force concentrations, and time sensitive targets. Unclear how many they will receive/how many are available. Importantly ISR is crucial to how they will be employed, and as is Ukraine has difficulty targeting positions 30+ km behind the line. As such there's an expectation that the West (US) would assist with targeting, but that would require very close coordination that likely doesn't exist at the moment. It's likely only high level commanders will be able to approve the use of these munitions, which will affect what targets they are used on. They'll also be largely ineffective against Russian AD targets since Russia has way more S-300 and S-400 TELs than there are ATACMS.

Overall, it seems like Kofman is actually still somewhat optimistic about the potential for a Ukrainian breakthrough, or barring that, their ability to keep pressing the Russians over the next few months and potentially through the Winter.
View Quote

Good post.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:36:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#16]
More Prigozhin video

Good thread on Wagner from FEB of this year.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
The next Flork meme will have them putting a Ukrainian Army cap on a tidal wave. Hell, just a normal high tide will totally fuck that "fortification".
View Quote

Point of information: the Black Sea is mostly closed from the ocean, and tidal variation is pretty minimal.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
That guy is always interesting.   I think Putin allows him to live, only to entrap the unwary.    

I bet we’ve chatted with This Guy a time or three.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12451/IMG_2289_png-2972134.JPG
View Quote

I like the part where the one guy froze when forced to confront the conflict between "we don't live in a dictatorship, we have freedom" and "I can't say what I really think."
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Russian Milanalyst Rybar: "In Sochi, at about eight in the morning, a UAV was shot down by small arms fire on the territory of the air harbor. Due to the fact that at that moment a passenger airliner was landing, the use of the Pantsir air defense system was fraught with risk.

Judging by the video of the UAV flying through the private sector, most likely it was Ukrainian formations of Mugin-3 kamikaze UAVs.

For security reasons, a temporary flight restriction was introduced at the airport (8.20 am the airport operates as usual)."
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#23]

As for Bayraktar Akinci, this issue is under consideration, as far as I know. The Ukrainian military is well aware of what we manufacture and invest in. So our plan is to manufacture all the systems we have here.

We have the necessary permissions for this. Therefore, we can fully manufacture Bayraktar TB2 instead of assembling it. Also here we can fully produce Bayraktar Akinci. We have permission for this from our government, which shows how close we are to implementation.

And Ukraine is the first country that has such permission. Because defense cooperation requires state permits, and we have this permit. Therefore, the issue regarding Akinci is under consideration, here is what I can say about it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7SCW-IXEAAnh26?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7SCW-HXkAA6sXi?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

never seen that amphibious thing before. found a video if anyone wants to see more.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#26]
10 or so Tweets in this thread. BLUF - russian internal security and police forces are weak and getting weaker while violent crime flourishes across the mir.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's what's coming in the gas/oil sector: Solovyov has been ranting about gas prices for some time, talking about the injustice of high prices and profits for oligarchs, how it interferes with the war effort. Now he's postulated the solution: nationalizing the industries. Those resources belong to the People!

We all know what that really leads to: fuel for the military and government, and none for the people.

I would also point out, this is a natural response to the horrible way the Soviet Union broke up in the 90s. State industries were handed to the control of individuals, but they never adopted true capitalism. They didn't break up state monopolies and create competition, there was no "investor class" and shareholder responsibilities, they just converted from communism to cronyism. It was a fiasco, and the US stood back because we didn't want to seem like we were telling them what to do. I forget which arfcommer was talking about how badly the US botched relations with Russia in the 90s, and this was part of it. The US failed on Russia diplomatically time and time again, and the results are war and death.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:24:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#32]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

Just for the record he's been on my ignore list as a vatnik shill, like Julian Ropke.  I see NAFO is going after his comments as well.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Just for the record he's been on my ignore list as a vatnik shill, like Julian Ropke.  I see NAFO is going after his comments as well. snip
View Quote

I hear you 5x5 about some of these masquerading tankies. I regularly troll them as a #fella on Twitter. I keep a close watch on all those fuckers (ayden, rybar, lord bebo, OSINT defender, etc) because they reveal more than they think and to counter their claims.

Still think it’s valuable to understand the delta on fuck russia’s uas efforts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:50:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#35]
this should be fun. Fuck these clowns.

Context:
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:05:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#36]

Context:
View Quote

So Gaetz would rather derail the essential business of passing appropriations bills to play the theatrical game of electing a Speaker? If I didn't think Goetz was a cunt before, this would seal the deal. Gaetz is a cunt, and it isn't about Ukraine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:10:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NE223] [#37]
Here's what's coming in the gas/oil sector: Solovyov has been ranting about gas prices for some time, talking about the injustice of high prices and profits for oligarchs, how it interferes with the war effort. Now he's postulated the solution: nationalizing the industries. Those resources belong to the People!

We all know what that really leads to: fuel for the military and government, and none for the people.

I would also point out, this is a natural response to the horrible way the Soviet Union broke up in the 90s. State industries were handed to the control of individuals, but they never adopted true capitalism. They didn't break up state monopolies and create competition, there was no "investor class" and shareholder responsibilities, they just converted from communism to cronyism. It was a fiasco, and the US stood back because we didn't want to seem like we were telling them what to do. I forget which arfcommer was talking about how badly the US botched relations with Russia in the 90s, and this was part of it. The US failed on Russia diplomatically time and time again, and the results are war and death.
View Quote

Solovyov thinks nationalizing the industry will help take the oligarchs out of the picture, but doesn't consider that the military is a arm of the state and it's leadership is so corrupt that their troops have been left to fight with shitty equipment, insufficient ammunition and non existent training, just so the generals could build mansions. But the Russians put in charge of refineries would be completely honest.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By NE223:

Solovyov thinks nationalizing the industry will help take the oligarchs out of the picture, but doesn't consider that the military is a arm of the state and it's leadership is so corrupt that their troops have been left to fight with shitty equipment, insufficient ammunition and non existent training, just so the generals could build mansions. But the Russians put in charge of refineries would be completely honest.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NE223:

This goes to what Solovyov is. He floats ideas to build public acceptance. We think he's crazy and outrageous, but Russia doesn't have free media and open access to information. People like Solovyov and Mardan are mainstream in Russian media. He floats these ideas, they become normalized in the public mind, they become publicly acceptable. Nationalized industry, nuclear war, Russian moral superiority, etc.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:
@Fund_GARISSON

Here is the balaclava displayed in my classroom.  My kids (fourth grade) begged me to let them be in the picture giving you guys a bunch of thumbs up!  They are very pro Ukraine. But the county would have my head for posting their pictures on AR15.com.  LOL

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/270175/Balaclava_jpg-2970560.JPG

ETA  My kids thought it was the coolest thing in the world that this had come to their classroom all the way from the front lines in Ukraine.  A few times a week someone raises their hand and asks about how things are going in Ukraine.  Kids being kids, they hate bullies.  They would give you all of our nuclear weapons if they could!

Huge thanks!
View Quote

You could have the kids hold their arms out so that only their thumbs-up-ed hands are visible in the frame.  

Glad to see kids of any age understanding and appreciating what's going on in the world.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#40]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7WdEdPXEAEwUWt?format=jpg&name=medium
View All Quotes

As for Bayraktar Akinci, this issue is under consideration, as far as I know. The Ukrainian military is well aware of what we manufacture and invest in. So our plan is to manufacture all the systems we have here.

We have the necessary permissions for this. Therefore, we can fully manufacture Bayraktar TB2 instead of assembling it. Also here we can fully produce Bayraktar Akinci. We have permission for this from our government, which shows how close we are to implementation.

And Ukraine is the first country that has such permission. Because defense cooperation requires state permits, and we have this permit. Therefore, the issue regarding Akinci is under consideration, here is what I can say about it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7WdEdPXEAEwUWt?format=jpg&name=medium

It will be interesting to see where Ukraine can use that considering the AD and Su-35 situation. Twin turboprop is interesting. Must be flying heavy with missiles?

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Govt run gas distribution?  😂. I see a 79% embezzlement of gas revenues in the near future.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Interesting their defense spending is going so high but only sustaining level of conscription. Could be they are paying hefty prices for Iranian munitions and drones?  Or just normal “shrinkage?”

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Interestingly, Smer (Fico's party) is known for corruption. No actual convictions, but lots of cases and investigations.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#46]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giBIaPnV61c
View Quote

ROST !!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#47]

I wonder how much funding got transferred out by midnight last night Hawaii time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#48]

So Gaetz would rather derail the essential business of passing appropriations bills to play the theatrical game of electing a Speaker? If I didn't think Goetz was a cunt before, this would seal the deal. Gaetz is a cunt, and it isn't about Ukraine.
View Quote

Never underestimate the capacity of a power hungry cunt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

View Quote

"Weakness is escalation."

Hits the nail right on the head.  Quite a brilliant observation, and should be repeated often.  

As well as two years ago.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Context:
View Quote
Gaetz is a grade A dipshit. The GOP barely holds control of the House and is demanding things that can only really happen if they had a commanding majority. They have enough to reliably hold procedural control and that's about it, which means putting in a new Speaker won't change anything.
McCarthy is doing the best he can with the votes he has.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4948 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top