Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4949 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
A post for the Ghost of Kyiv!

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
I would also point out, this is a natural response to the horrible way the Soviet Union broke up in the 90s. State industries were handed to the control of individuals, but they never adopted true capitalism. They didn't break up state monopolies and create competition, there was no "investor class" and shareholder responsibilities, they just converted from communism to cronyism. It was a fiasco, and the US stood back because we didn't want to seem like we were telling them what to do. I forget which arfcommer was talking about how badly the US botched relations with Russia in the 90s, and this was part of it. The US failed on Russia diplomatically time and time again, and the results are war and death.
View Quote

Not entirely accurate. The Russians implemented the US recommendations which were to grant every citizen a privatization voucher valued at the cost of state assets divided by the population which the citizens were free to invest.
Unfortunately, the corruption turned the voucher privatization into a travesty (or a tragedy) where the people were cheated and bullied out of their vouchers in more ways than a forum post can contain. The end result was the eventual takeover of the national assets by the oligarchs. The word "voucher" became a sad joke and the names of the reformers responsible for the voucher privatization became dirty words.
The same happened in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By brahm:

never seen that amphibious thing before. found a video if anyone wants to see more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4VXcBPs32Q
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7SCW-IXEAAnh26?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7SCW-HXkAA6sXi?format=jpg&name=medium

never seen that amphibious thing before. found a video if anyone wants to see more.

Those EFA things are frigging badass!
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

I hear you 5x5 about some of these masquerading tankies. I regularly troll them as a #fella on Twitter. I keep a close watch on all those fuckers (ayden, rybar, lord bebo, OSINT defender, etc) because they reveal more than they think and to counter their claims.

Still think it’s valuable to understand the delta on fuck russia’s uas efforts.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Just for the record he's been on my ignore list as a vatnik shill, like Julian Ropke.  I see NAFO is going after his comments as well. snip

I hear you 5x5 about some of these masquerading tankies. I regularly troll them as a #fella on Twitter. I keep a close watch on all those fuckers (ayden, rybar, lord bebo, OSINT defender, etc) because they reveal more than they think and to counter their claims.

Still think it’s valuable to understand the delta on fuck russia’s uas efforts.

I agree, l just didn't know if you were familiar with their specific brand of dooming.  I'm sure I have read your comments lol.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#7]

🔴 Kalibr cruise missiles
🟣 Ballistic missiles
🟡 Shahed drones

Some UAVs veered off the main trajectory, disappearing from sight, while others joined later.

Interestingly, from the town of Komysh-Zorya in the Zaporizhia region, the S-300 missiles are being often launched towards the Zaporizhia district.

According to Ukraine’s Air Forces, on the night of 1 October 2023, Russian occupiers attacked Ukraine with Shahed drones from the south, southeast, and north directions.

Approximately 30 Shahed launches were recorded, with 16 drones successfully destroyed.

The attack on 1 October resulted in damage to a facility in Uman and several objects in Kharkiv.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Yep. Orban Jr. Straight from the book How to Win Friends and Influence People. National narcissism is a winning strategy for tiny countries.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Oh Turkey will love Russia for that “gift”.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Tuco22:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tuco22:

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By voyager3:

Not entirely accurate. The Russians implemented the US recommendations which were to grant every citizen a privatization voucher valued at the cost of state assets divided by the population which the citizens were free to invest.
Unfortunately, the corruption turned the voucher privatization into a travesty (or a tragedy) where the people were cheated and bullied out of their vouchers in more ways than a forum post can contain. The end result was the eventual takeover of the national assets by the oligarchs. The word "voucher" became a sad joke and the names of the reformers responsible for the voucher privatization became dirty words.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By voyager3:
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
I would also point out, this is a natural response to the horrible way the Soviet Union broke up in the 90s. State industries were handed to the control of individuals, but they never adopted true capitalism. They didn't break up state monopolies and create competition, there was no "investor class" and shareholder responsibilities, they just converted from communism to cronyism. It was a fiasco, and the US stood back because we didn't want to seem like we were telling them what to do. I forget which arfcommer was talking about how badly the US botched relations with Russia in the 90s, and this was part of it. The US failed on Russia diplomatically time and time again, and the results are war and death.

I never heard of such vouchers. I learned something today and it didn’t even hurt!  Thanks for the background.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:08:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#15]
Good thread about Shaheds and defending against them. Also discusses production quantities and overall losses of tanks, aircraft and artillery for both Ukraine and Russia.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:08:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#16]
Here is a very interesting analysis of some Pentagon actions within the existing budget to fund various ‘buys’ that largely support Ukraine.

This activity is called reprogramming where DOD can, with relatively minimal fuss, move money among enacted budget accounts to get shit done.

This is only a partial analysis of the reprogramming actions taken in the last month of FY23 (September).

It is fairly clear that Ukraine will be getting hundreds of ATACMS shots based on this reprogramming analysis.

Click and read. I posted the unrolled thread in the spoiler tags below.

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1708504111149162643

I am in Warsaw and was quite busy the last two weeks with the preparation for and then networking at the Heart of Europe International TV Festival... so I only found the time to work through two #Pentagon Ukraine Realignment papers.

So many new weapons for 🇺🇦 Ukraine 😃😃
1/14

https://x.com/noclador/status/1708504113296580796

So let's begin with the coolest stuff - there is a classified Army emergency missile procurement for $187.4m... which it seems isn't GMLRS, as that is under another classified section: $71.3m of GMLRS are being acquired. So: if it isn't GMLRS... what could it be 😉
2/n

Unrolled thread here. Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
https://kyivindependent.com/zelensky-ukraine-wont-ever-pay-again-with-its-sovereignty-for-illusory-promises-of-peace/

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#18]

VIDEO

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Unrolled thread here. Read it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Todays Ukraine is celebrating Defenders Day.

One of many thousands.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#22]
For about the past 2 days I've been away dealing with life and such.
Has anything significant happened?
Any bombings of important russian stuff?
Any breakthroughs of their lines?

I appolgize for asking questions that have already been answered. Like I said, life happened to me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#24]
Originally Posted By stone-age:
For about the past 2 days I've been away dealing with life and such.
Has anything significant happened?
Any bombings of important russian stuff?
Any breakthroughs of their lines?

I appolgize for asking questions that have already been answered. Like I said, life happened to me.
View Quote

Not much change in the lines. Big news is the Ukraine defense industry forum was a success. Many companies are setting up armament factories in Ukraine in the next 2-5 years. Drones, armor, munitions, rifles, etc.

UA is still taking out about 38 artillery tubes per day. Some Republicans tried to derail funding for Ukraine but a separate funding package is expected to be easily passed next week.

Sorry to hear about the disruption in your life. I hope it gets sorted to the good for you soon.

Oh yeah, UK sending trainers into Ukraine. 😁

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#25]
NSFW. Video of a few more on the same Russian soldier.

NSFW STILL FROM THE VIDEO
Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Fairly big news south of Bakhmut. The railroad tracks have been a difficult barrier to breach.  Now it becomes a solid secondary line for them to consolidate behind and keep pushing north and east.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#28]
FILE:  Russia Will Never Invade a NATO Country

EXHIBIT: 87+1

In our country, Russian military bases are located on the occupied territories.

She told LRT about this during her visit to Lithuania.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

With great power comes great turret toss?

Also, anime toilets

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:

It is interesting as Ukraine has the Tavor and ACE under license. Yet I don't think I've seen a single photo of a Tavor or Galil ACE this entire war. They must have built very few, and I assume lack of funds and corruption kept them from actually being built in number.

Poland has donated thousands of Grot rifles as well. But I think more M4/C7 rifles have been donated. Canada is supposed to be buying something like 30,000 M4/M5/M16/C8s from Colt Canada and Colt. I have a feeling at the end of the day Ukraine will end up adopting an AR variant long term.
View Quote

Something tells me that the "best" rifle will NOT be chosen and the final decision will be political.

Ukraine's future depends on financial aid and weapons systems like the F16, Grippen etc. So they will try to curry favor with a country or some big manufacturer by adopting their small arms to get jets or whatever.

Although I dont think they could go wrong with an M16/M4 of some variety especially Colt/Canada.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7SCW-IXEAAnh26?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7SCW-HXkAA6sXi?format=jpg&name=medium

Engineering assets are some of my favorite mil vehicles to discuss.

I don't have any data to point to but I get the worrying feeling the US doesn't have nearly the quantity nor the variety of engineering equipment in our force structure as some NATO countries. We also seem to stash a lot of our units and equipment in the ARNG...and I don't know how many US units get to practice opposed water crossings these days. 😬

Anybody who is worried about the MIC should love engineering vehicles - only perhaps logistics and transpo units have any civilian analogues in quantity that are potentially so useful during natural disasters or other crises, and making them still creates a bunch of jobs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Some posts about why Kherson fell so quickly Feb 2022

First a hero
Like so much of the SVO, this area was supposed to fall easily by use of high ranking UA traitors. But some heroic efforts prevented a total collapse and bought precious days and weeks for Ukraine to maneuver and stop the offensive.

Now the dirty bastards

Will be great to finally find out exactly who was responsible. Of course, it all took some very poor oversight by Ukraine to enable...and a lack of a few brigades placed strategically on the southern front.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Long thread. Biden has repeatedly refused to spend all the funds appropriated for Ukraine aid. By several billions. Congress is getting fed up and demanding a classified briefing of the plan to win including weapons to be sent and timelines. Or no funding at all.  Biden is clearly dragging his feet the maximum amount possible.

This could really backfire on Sullivan if he was planning to stall until Sept-Oct 2024 and then suddenly pull out a Big Surprise victory.

Unrolled thread

View Quote

Very interesting. Could Xiden's DOD or other agency use those unspent funds for some nefarious use? I know nothing about federal appropriations and spending but have felt that something is wrong with the type and pace of aid. It seems VERY specifically aimed at aiding Ukraine only tactically and NOT strategically.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Oh, you want to turn the clock back eh?

What happens if someone decides that it's time for a return of the Mongol Empire? Or for that matter we have Swedes launching Viking raids into Russia?
View Quote

Maybe Macedonia should start talking about taking Turkey, Egypt, and Persia, all the way to India...
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Pietor Parkerski says blyat!
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:11:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#37]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Very interesting. Could Xiden's DOD or other agency use those unspent funds for some nefarious use? I know nothing about federal appropriations and spending but have felt that something is wrong with the type and pace of aid. It seems VERY specifically aimed at aiding Ukraine only tactically and NOT strategically.
View Quote
approps have to be used for their specified purpose, within their established time of availability, and not to exceed the enacted amount by the relevant agency/department.

Purpose, time, amount.

This is a failure of the executive branch to aid Ukraine to decisively win instead of the drip, drip, drip approach Sullivan et al are taking.

ETA: if someone wanted to do something not above board… there are ways. However, this is a failing of the NSC and the west wing. I worked in the west wing and for the executive office of the president in addition to working at OSD, OUSD, AF, Navy, etc.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#38]
NSFW. Video of a few more on the same Russian soldier.

NSFW STILL FROM THE VIDEO
Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

That guy's eyes..
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

In Soviet Novorossiya landmine step on you.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#42]
A Ukrainian Officer’s Captured Russian Tank Wasn’t Working. So He Called Tech Support—In Russia.

So when a Ukrainian tanker with the callsign “Kochevnik” ran into problems with his captured Russian T-72B3—problems local expertise couldn’t immediately solve—he called Uralvagonzavod tech support. And incredibly, the help line actually helped.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Not much change in the lines. Big news is the Ukraine defense industry forum was a success. Many companies are setting up armament factories in Ukraine in the next 2-5 years. Drones, armor, munitions, rifles, etc.

UA is still taking out about 38 artillery tubes per day. Some Republicans tried to derail funding for Ukraine but a separate funding package is expected to be easily passed next week.

Sorry to hear about the disruption in your life. I hope it gets sorted to the good for you soon.

Oh yeah, UK sending trainers into Ukraine. 😁

View Quote

Call me crazy but after Kherson when the Ukranians had momentum it seems to me that was the time to bury Ukraine in much needed equipment so they could keep pushing forward. Instead of our leaders wringing their hands over fear of making putin angry.
Of course I also think there was a strategic mistake when wagner was pulling out and actively fighting with the russian military, that was the time to go for it. The russians in bakhmut never had the time to build massive defensive positions as they were pushing forward up to that point. Oh well, 20/20 hindsight in war.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
A Ukrainian Officer’s Captured Russian Tank Wasn’t Working. So He Called Tech Support—In Russia.

So when a Ukrainian tanker with the callsign “Kochevnik” ran into problems with his captured Russian T-72B3—problems local expertise couldn’t immediately solve—he called Uralvagonzavod tech support. And incredibly, the help line actually helped.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif

Fucking unbelievable.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is a very interesting analysis of some Pentagon actions within the existing budget to fund various ‘buys’ that largely support Ukraine.

This activity is called reprogramming where DOD can, with relatively minimal fuss, move money among enacted budget accounts to get shit done.

This is only a partial analysis of the reprogramming actions taken in the last month of FY23 (September).

It is fairly clear that Ukraine will be getting hundreds of ATACMS shots based on this reprogramming analysis.

Click and read. I posted the unrolled thread in the spoiler tags below.

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1708504111149162643

I am in Warsaw and was quite busy the last two weeks with the preparation for and then networking at the Heart of Europe International TV Festival... so I only found the time to work through two #Pentagon Ukraine Realignment papers.

So many new weapons for 🇺🇦 Ukraine 😃😃
1/14

https://x.com/noclador/status/1708504113296580796

So let's begin with the coolest stuff - there is a classified Army emergency missile procurement for $187.4m... which it seems isn't GMLRS, as that is under another classified section: $71.3m of GMLRS are being acquired. So: if it isn't GMLRS... what could it be 😉
2/n

Unrolled thread here. Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Great info, it seems we are dedicated to depleting Russian capabilities while upgrading our own systems.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Javak:

Also, anime toilets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocCtQs4QYJ0
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Javak:

Also, anime toilets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocCtQs4QYJ0

lol
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

My understanding is that the Rosgvardiya is not like our national guard but the internal Praetorian guard used to put down resurrections (LOL says hot dog man) and uprisings. This pilot might have some interesting takes to tell.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

“Well sir, it’s like this. I was driving along blasting Rooskies when the old Stalin chariot quit. We couldn’t figure it out. But right here on the drivers panel it says “For support call 800-BLYAT-MIR so I did.

They were very helpful and I gave them 5 stars on the service survey but turned down the extended warranty offer. Was that wrong?”

Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4949 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top