Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4969 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:52:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stone-age] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_4126-2979583.jpg

View Quote

"Russia started building direct railway links to the occupied Ukrainian cities Mariupol, Volnovakha, and Donetsk, which could decrease Moscow's logistical dependence on the Crimean Bridge, Petro Andriushchenko, an advisor to Melitopol's exiled mayor, said on Sept. 27."

https://news.yahoo.com/official-russia-starts-building-railway-081311418.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAH6Y-bhGm4JpaIBXPSoVBYstVjAKMw14g8QFacXju3Om2b4yfgFnPUDJ-fNWdYb0kYV--2TY5dOja8Jw4vvE8bPeNBanB4GokzIaPcsTL6PUnC1SxZrGBmFesGMOaSW38Eas6PZp07faYVz2NpGeJqFexl_XG02JryEbhi1fnW1i

And if the russians are not good at defending the crimea bridge, then I'm sure it will be blown up again as soon as it is repaired. I can't imagine any reason why Ukraine would allow it to supply the russian military if it can be stopped. So we will find out soon. I am highly jumpy about underestimating the russians.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

https://news.yahoo.com/official-russia-starts-building-railway-081311418.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAH6Y-bhGm4JpaIBXPSoVBYstVjAKMw14g8QFacXju3Om2b4yfgFnPUDJ-fNWdYb0kYV--2TY5dOja8Jw4vvE8bPeNBanB4GokzIaPcsTL6PUnC1SxZrGBmFesGMOaSW38Eas6PZp07faYVz2NpGeJqFexl_XG02JryEbhi1fnW1i

And if the russians are not good at defending the crimea bridge, then I'm sure it will be blown up again as soon as it is repaired. I can't imagine any reason why Ukraine would allow it to supply the russian military if it can be stopped. So we will find out soon. I am highly jumpy about underestimating the russians.
View Quote

I keep wondering why they don't aim for the suspension part of that bridge.  A failure of those arches would be very difficult to fix and it would drop a considerable chunk of roadway into the drink.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

I keep wondering why they don't aim for the suspension part of that bridge.  A failure of those arches would be very difficult to fix and it would drop a considerable chunk of roadway into the drink.
View Quote

It might be that those things are too tough for the long range missiles and drone boats that have been used. Carrying more explosives over that distance requires bigger weapons.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 6:49:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#6]

It might be that those things are too tough for the long range missiles and drone boats that have been used. Carrying more explosives over that distance requires bigger weapons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By johnh57:

Taurus would be very effective against the bridge, it has a pretty advanced fuze system that can count layers and void spaces with a specialized warhead.

https://en.topwar.ru/218616-taurus-kepd-350-javno-nedoocenennyj-protivnik.html

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

That's going to hurt some of GD's feelings lol
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
That is why Tucker Carlson can't do the interview.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:07:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#10]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
I would like to see one of those HAWK museum pieces shooting down something.

View Quote

Likewise. The Hawk is ancient but still capable enough in the point defense roll against Shahed drones at least. I'd park them all along the Odessa coast where their old radars don't have to worry much about terrain and obstacles.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Article Here:

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2023/10/army-moves-ahead-ukraine-style-bomber-drones/390918/

The U.S. Army has picked companies to demonstrate gear for arming small commercial drones, as Ukrainian and Russian forces are doing to dramatic effect in Ukraine.

Within eight to 12 months, two companies will demonstrate payload mechanisms for dropping a selection of munitions that troops would have readily available, such as 40mm or 60mm grenades, said Dan Hilty, portfolio manager for the Army Applications Laboratory. The mechanisms must also allow soldiers to safely attach and detach the munitions, Hilty said.

The companies, which Hilty declined to identify, are using drones from the Pentagon’s Blue UAS list, a roster of commercial drones cleared for military use.
View Quote

A further two companies are developing the capability to equip soldiers with small drones with more advanced munitions, Hilty said. One of the two is even demonstrating a drone weighing less than 55 pounds that can fire a precision guided missile.

Similar bomb-dropping drones are already in use among units playing the Army’s opponents at the National Training Center and Joint Readiness Training Center, the units’ commanders previously told Defense One.

Army Applications Laboratory is also researching drones that could be turned into loitering munitions, similar to how Ukraine and Russia have turned hobbyist racing drones into DIY suicide drones.

The research comes amid an Army push to incorporate lethal drones into Army infantry units. In August, the Army announced the Low Altitude Stalking and Strike Ordnance project, or LASSO, which seeks to provide soldiers with portable loitering munitions. While the Army did not announce which company will provide the munitions, they expect to field the weapon across infantry brigade combat teams in 2024.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

Likewise. The Hawk is ancient but still capable enough in the point defense roll against Shahed drones at least. I'd park them all along the Odessa coast where their old radars don't have to worry much about terrain and obstacles.
View All Quotes

That's a good idea for their use, Odessa area overlooking the sea.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
The Official Cause of Prighozin's Plane Crash:

Cocaine fueled party caused grenade accident!  

"The plane crash that killed Wagner mercenary boss Yevgeny Prigozhin could have been the result of intoxicated fighters letting off hand grenades, Russian President Vladimir Putin suggested Thursday."

https://www.politico.eu/article/cocaine-hand-grenades-vladimir-putin-theory-yevgeny-prigozhin-plane-crash/

View Quote

Holy crap they really aren’t trying to hide it anymore.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#14]

"Russia started building direct railway links to the occupied Ukrainian cities Mariupol, Volnovakha, and Donetsk, which could decrease Moscow's logistical dependence on the Crimean Bridge, Petro Andriushchenko, an advisor to Melitopol's exiled mayor, said on Sept. 27."

View Quote

Never say never or dismiss an opponent but those trains would be in HIMARs range and when F-16s finally show stand off range. But again I don’t dismiss or assume, so always best to have multiple plans, options and redundancy
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

And how about a dozen C-RAM.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bjfoien:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bjfoien:

That certainly wouldn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Huh. I thought Slovakia just a couple days ago gave Ukraine the finger and was buddy buddy with Hungary’s position??!

I hope this is the true direction for Slovakia.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_4125-2979041.jpg

View Quote

If I recall the incoming parties say there’s no authority to provide military aid https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-05/slovakia-freezes-state-military-aid-to-kyiv-after-election-upset
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:39:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#18]
Supposed to be better than THADD but isn’t. That is assuming the claims are more believable than the S-400 claims. Although supposed to have gone into production in 2019 there is little evidence they are in use.

Defense News- Where is Russia’s S-500 air defense system?

According to Michael Jerdev, a Russia military expert, international sanctions levied against the country may be negatively impacting work on the air defense system.
“Russia can multiply the production of air defense missiles, primarily missiles of the 48N6 family, as they are technological products with minimal dependence on foreign components,” said Jerdev, referring to the primary missile series for the S-400. “As for the production of anti-aircraft complexes and radars themselves, their production has a long cycle and depends on the supply of foreign electronic components, which obviously does not allow them to be produced around the clock.”
Furthermore, an Almaz-Antey employee said, the company is experiencing “problems with machine tools and a shortage of components.”
“The enterprise’s [production rate] has increased,” the source told Defense News on the condition of anonymity to speak freely, but “there are not enough workers.”

View Quote

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2023/03/29/russia-to-upgrade-moscows-missile-defenses-by-years-end/
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#19]

The way the dirt is dug up I'm guessing land mine. Maybe he somehow managed to step on a tank mine and set it off? Or maybe I'm just wrong.

I stand corrected, something came flying in from the left side. Maybe a tank missile or something.
View Quote

Pressure plate for tank mine won’t do anything when personnel traverse. https://www.jmu.edu/cisr/_pages/research/munitions.shtml#:~:text=Ordinarily%20they%20detonate%20by%20the,30%20pounds%20of%20high%20explosive
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By kncook:

Slovakias new leader got only 24% of the vote and has to form a coalition government. He may be anti-Ukraine and “leader” but he is t in charge by a long shot.
View Quote

https://apnews.com/article/slovakia-election-ukraine-arms-help-fico-d0c4218044d44721a8d8bbd743a56a56
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:46:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#21]

He has been unequivocal in speaking out for support of Ukraine and finding ways to help them. I have no idea if his domestic policy is good for you guys but he has the UK standing tall against Russia.

Now if he would only bitch slap Biden and drag his ass around the room until he approves Tomahawks…

View Quote

Japan needs the Tomahawks they’re intending to buy https://news.usni.org/2023/10/05/japan-accelerating-1-4b-tomahawk-strike-missile-buy-after-pentagon-meeting
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Slovakias new leader got only 24% of the vote and has to form a coalition government. He may be anti-Ukraine and “leader” but he is t in charge by a long shot.

https://apnews.com/article/slovakia-election-ukraine-arms-help-fico-d0c4218044d44721a8d8bbd743a56a56

They are forming a new govt so yes, all major decisions are halted.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Waldo:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/422/giphy17-2937661.gif

Every time I see a Hawk system, I think of my first GI Joe toy I had as a little kid.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Kinda like the USA right now...
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By strykr:

A complete Russian military collapse is just wishful thinking. It may happen, but expecting it  would be a mistake. I think many of us expected that a coup would depose Putin, but that hasn't happened either. Back in the spring there was an agreement that Ukraine will not win an attrition war with Russia for the simple reason that they have less manpower. Hence the need for maneuver warfare. However, those plans have not worked out too well over the summer. The reality on the battlefield is that Putin controls Crimea and Ukraine is not able to present a real threat to retake it without a significant ramp up in NATO support.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By strykr:
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Sobriety is cathartic, but it is painful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WjyIZ2YBKI

utter nonsense.

Ukraine is winning the fight, as I have repeatedly said. Russia is the much more powerful nation and still hasn't been able to take Kyiv after 20 months of war with every advantage.

Look at the USA vs Iraq in 2003. We had soldiers sleeping in Saddam's palaces in less time than Russia has in Ukraine and Zelenskyy is still free and in charge.

587 days into the 2 day Russian war

@sheltiepimp

@fadedsun

Your commitment is commendable. No one will ever question your resolve.

At some point, you are going to have to weigh the sacrifices and benefits that Ukraine is facing, and it is not a favorable balance.

When our friends, family, and our allies are in a situation that is unwinnable, we (should) give them the best, most honest, and most survivable advice based on our expertise.

This conflict needs to end, Ukraine has suffered enough.

Peace is the only prize.

You are right in spirit.  Unfortunately, this is not the "Russian" way.  Putin has set the Russians on a course of conquest that he can no longer control; at this point, Putin has no choice but to continue the war.  Any so-called "Peace" agreement would be temporary until the Russians can rearm/refit.  Russia has committed too much of their land power, residual strength, and economic power for Putin or any other leader to back down at this point.  Putin and those around him see this as an existential struggle for national survival, and Russia has already abandoned much of it's advantageous position in Central Asia, it's position vis/vis China, international standing, and it's world trade relationships, etc. to win in Ukraine.  Ukraine, for it's part, requires security; therefore, any since agreement the Russians would sign that they could market as a "victory" would leave Ukraine unacceptable vulnerable when (not "if) the Russians begin the next phase of the war.  The war will not end until the Russians are beaten so badly that there is no acceptable way to continue the war. Ukraine (and it's neighboring countries) understand this; the closest analogy I can come up with would be the French "Revanchist" policies regarding Alsace-Lorraine from 1871 through the First World War, in which France crippled it's position in Central Europe and ultimately sacrificed an entire generation of young men to regain them.

A complete Russian military collapse is just wishful thinking. It may happen, but expecting it  would be a mistake. I think many of us expected that a coup would depose Putin, but that hasn't happened either. Back in the spring there was an agreement that Ukraine will not win an attrition war with Russia for the simple reason that they have less manpower. Hence the need for maneuver warfare. However, those plans have not worked out too well over the summer. The reality on the battlefield is that Putin controls Crimea and Ukraine is not able to present a real threat to retake it without a significant ramp up in NATO support.

I was thinking more along the lines of general economic collapse, productivity issues, and/or emerging threats to other places in Russia's "near abroad".  Russia may have to draw back militarily due to other issues.  Having said that, any drawback will be a leaky armistice at best and "5th Generation Warfare" in effect.  We also can expect Russia to make another go-around at Eastern Europe as soon as they recover sufficiently from their Ukrainian adventure.  Of Course, in 1984 no one expected the Iron Curtain to collapse in 5 years either.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Supposed to be better than THADD but isn’t. That is assuming the claims are more believable than the S-400 claims. Although supposed to have gone into production in 2019 there is little evidence they are in use.

Defense News- Where is Russia’s S-500 air defense system?

According to Michael Jerdev, a Russia military expert, international sanctions levied against the country may be negatively impacting work on the air defense system.
“Russia can multiply the production of air defense missiles, primarily missiles of the 48N6 family, as they are technological products with minimal dependence on foreign components,” said Jerdev, referring to the primary missile series for the S-400. “As for the production of anti-aircraft complexes and radars themselves, their production has a long cycle and depends on the supply of foreign electronic components, which obviously does not allow them to be produced around the clock.”
Furthermore, an Almaz-Antey employee said, the company is experiencing “problems with machine tools and a shortage of components.”
“The enterprise’s [production rate] has increased,” the source told Defense News on the condition of anonymity to speak freely, but “there are not enough workers.”

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2023/03/29/russia-to-upgrade-moscows-missile-defenses-by-years-end/

Excellent info, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Chida66:

Every time I see a Hawk system, I think of my first GI Joe toy I had as a little kid.
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

I was thinking more along the lines of general economic collapse, productivity issues, and/or emerging threats to other places in Russia's "near abroad".  Russia may have to draw back militarily due to other issues.  Having said that, any drawback will be a leaky armistice at best and "5th Generation Warfare" in effect.  We also can expect Russia to make another go-around at Eastern Europe as soon as they recover sufficiently from their Ukrainian adventure.  Of Course, in 1984 no one expected the Iron Curtain to collapse in 5 years either.
View Quote

When Kim jung il was developing nukes, putin went and visited him. After the meeting a reporter asked putin if he had convinced Il to stop developing nukes for the good of his country, or something like that. Putin responded that the north korean people would be eating grass before he would abandon the nuke program. I think putin feels the same way about Ukraine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Since the thread has slowed down, maybe you have time for 15 minutes of Mardan. He plays a clip of Ukrainians in Lviv refusing to be interviewed (man-on-the-street style) in Russian, and says that this warrants their destruction. So, genocide again. He goes on next about the Free Russia Forum meeting that took place recently an the resolution they adopted calling for an end to the war and Putinism, and Putin being illegitimate. He calls for those folks, particularly Kasparov, to be assassinated.

Russia is absolutely doing everything Nazi Germany did. And western leaders are too timid, too cowardly to name the threat to peace in Europe for what it is. The world is threatened by fascism again.

Sergey Mardan rails against Putin's enemies
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Easterner:
Today was live fire on the trench ranges. We ran one course as doubles, and the other in four man teams. At the end of the day the commander had 700 rounds left and told us to make it disappear. So five instructors, including myself, ran the range. Most rounds were fired in full auto at the targets at the end of the trench system.

I wish I could post the video of our run. The good news is we learn from our mistakes, and a video is a good way to analyze what we did wrong. It gets easier with each run.

These ranges have stationary targets and motion activated ones that pop out as they are approached.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/Screenshot_2023-10-03-22-32-55-583_com_g-2976174.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/Screenshot_2023-10-03-22-33-03-043_com_g-2976175.JPG

On the way out we leave tactically, but weapons empty for safety as we are approaching friendlies. Last man, myself on the way out, has to pull rear security and cover the rear.  It goes fast. Speed, violence, and action.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/Screenshot_2023-10-03-23-01-46-240_com_g-2976190.JPG
View Quote
Nice looking shoot house
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

I wouldn't broadcast that anywhere; there is NOTHING in the news anywhere, and I'm sure this would have been picked up by a lot of folks immediately. Plus, BBC interviewing Putin would be major news all by itself. It's probably a Photoshop.
View All Quotes

I wouldn't broadcast that anywhere; there is NOTHING in the news anywhere, and I'm sure this would have been picked up by a lot of folks immediately. Plus, BBC interviewing Putin would be major news all by itself. It's probably a Photoshop.

GD believes anything, right? And nobody needs to fact-check anything before posting it, right?

I don't think BBC has interviewed Putin since 2020. Nothing shows up on their news page. What else has that Twitter user published?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#35]

This is like my 7yr old arguing with me a tree and telling it not to be wood.

Logical responses do nothing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
I am pro Ukrainian.

I want the Ukrainian nation to exist after this conflicts ends.

I am tired of watching young men die, needlessly.

If you want a Ukrainian nation to exist, you support military aid to Ukraine. Lots of it. And you support lots of killing of Russian troops, because that's the only thing that can make them stop. Given all the things Russian leaders have said, given their consistent, repeated violations of their agreements and commitments, what other option is there?

Did you watch that Russian Media Monitor video posted above? And the other video where the Russian leader talks about taking back the Baltics? And the other quote that says Russian children must be taught that Estonia & Latvia do not exist so that there is no question when the time comes to invade them?

This is like my 7yr old arguing with me a tree and telling it not to be wood.

Logical responses do nothing.

FIFY.  Don't demean your 7 year old.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

That was definitely a CNS shot.

Ugh, you could practically see him shit his pants before his body hit the deck.

Oh that was brutal, but probably the best death one could ask for in War.

Boom. Lights out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

That was definitely a CNS shot.

Ugh, you could practically see him shit his pants before his body hit the deck.

Oh that was brutal, but probably the best death one could ask for in War.

Boom. Lights out.

Dammit account suspended already?  Any other link?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#37]

I am pro Ukrainian.

I want the Ukrainian nation to exist after this conflicts ends.

I am tired of watching young men die, needlessly.

View Quote

Good!
But how does not fighting back change this? In what pacifist eutopia does the attacker stop when the resistance stops?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

The German (and the Swiss) industry envisioned the huge threat from drones and Shaheds. The Gepards got upgraded for Quatar around 2016-2018 and were delivered 2020 to protect the Soccer World Cup in 2022 from drone or Shahed attacks.  

BTW, the German industry predicted the widespread use of drones in a war as early as 2010, but nobody listened until the Second Nagorno-Karabakh War 2020.

View Quote

Very interesting. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

The German (and the Swiss) industry envisioned the huge threat from drones and Shaheds. The Gepards got upgraded for Quatar around 2016-2018 and were delivered 2020 to protect the Soccer World Cup in 2022 from drone or Shahed attacks.  

BTW, the German industry predicted the widespread use of drones in a war as early as 2010, but nobody listened until the Second Nagorno-Karabakh War 2020.

I think of this guy whenever I hear the names of those regions.

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:04:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#40]

View All Quotes

well to be fair, it shouldnt suprise anyone if he did..

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/putins-useful-idiots-abound-in-maga-world/

ya i know its a liberal rag...
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Oh course it was satire.

Putin did say a lot of things today in Valdai though:
https://businessukraine.ua/putins-chilling-warning-ukraine-will-have-a-week-left-to-live-if-west-ends-military-aid/
PUTIN'S SPEECH TODAY: KEY PARTS

⚡️⚡️⚡️ Putin's "historic" speech today.

📍 The Kremlin is concerned by the weakening of the Ruble [The 🇷🇺  ₽ Ruble surpassed 100 to the 🇺🇸 $ USD during his speech].

📍 On Prigozhin's airplane, parts of an exploded hand grenade were found within the bodies.

📍 5 Kilos of cocaine were found in the office of Prigozhin, however, no drug or alcohol tests of Prigozhin's body were carried-out.

📍Russia's defense expenditures are now 2x greater than before.

📍 Russia may withdraw from the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.

📍 Odesa 🇺🇦 is "a Russian city, but a little - tiny bit - Jewish."

📍Russia has never opposed Ukraine joining the European Union, only against joining NATO.

📌📌 Putin’s speech was hyped by the Kremlin. However, Putin only blathered some of his moronic thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I was surprised to learn today, even though SCOTUS told FJB hard no, that with a $9 billion dollar announcement today, the FJB admin has forgiven $127 billion in student loans in a few short months since June.

I would have figured with all the fiscal responsible people here in GD that start dozens of threads a month against funding Ukraine, there would be an equal or more amount of outrage threads in GD seeing as this has surpassed the Ukraine expenditures in just a few short months?

Weird
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

I'd respect you guys more if you stopped trying to pretend like you care about Ukrainians. The faux concern and moral outrage is really, really stale. The vast majority (over 80% IIRC) of Ukrainians have stated that they want to keep fighting until they reclaim all of their territory. And, no sane person can argue that this is not a logical position. The Russians have time and time again violated every single agreement they've signed in relation to Ukraine, from the Budapest Memorandum to the Minsk Agreements. There's no reason for Ukraine to stop fighting at this point, given that all of the available evidence suggests that any ceasefire or peace treaty would just be another temporary lull in the fighting. So, the logical course of action is for Ukraine to fight until it wins in a manner that even the most diehard vatniks can't deny, and most Ukrainians agree with that course of action. You aren't in a position to tell the Ukrainians otherwise.
View Quote
I have more respect for those that blatantly say "Ukraine ain't our problem" than those that have fake concern for the Ukrainians in their pitch for "peace" aka surrender.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GBTX01] [#44]
Huge drone(s) hit in Syria.

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#45]
If you want to watch the entire Valdai session today, SkyNews has the video with live translation. The live translation is a little awkward. Putin gives a speech, and then there is discussion. The whole session with Putin is over three and a half hours.

Vladimir Putin delivers speech at annual Valdai meeting in Sochi
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By GBTX01:

View Quote

Jury rigged COTS drones and dedicated loitering munitions have kept me up at night since 2016 when I started to learn about them. They'll be a part of every conflict from here on out. Even the Mexican cartels are using them against the government and each other . It's only a matter of time before some non-state actor uses them on a Western civilian populace and we seem no closer to an integrated defense solution to them
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#47]
More notes from Putin at Valdai, courtesy of Reuters.
Oct 5 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin on Thursday delivered a keynote speech at a meeting of the Valdai Discussion Club in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, followed by a question and answer session.

Following are some key quotes:

On Ukraine joining the NATO alliance:
"We have always been against this and our position has a serious basis, because NATO expanding to our borders directly threatens our security."
"NATO is, in fact, first and foremost, a tool of U.S. foreign policy."

On cooperation with China:
"We will expand our interaction (with China) in the security sphere. We're not creating any blocs against anyone, but we are forced to react to what is happening around our states."

On the Group of 20 forum of major economies:
"The G20 was once created as a platform for discussing economic rather than political issues. Politicisation of the G20 is simply a sure path to its self-liquidation."

On nuclear doctrine:
"Should we change? Why? ... There is no situation today in which the existence of the Russian state would be under threat."

On nuclear weapons testing:
Putin said he was not ready to declare that Russia needed to resume nuclear weapons testing, but that "theoretically we could revoke ratification" of the international nuclear test ban treaty.

On U.N. reform:
"Of course those countries must be represented in the U.N. Security Council that are acquiring great significance in international affairs and, due to their sheer power, can and do influence the way key international issues are decided. Which countries? India ... Brazil ... South Africa ..."

On Canadian parliamentary speaker honouring a Nazi in parliament:
"He essentially lumped together Nazi collaborators, [Nazi] SS troops and the Ukrainian military of today who are fighting against Russia. He lumped them together. This only confirms our thesis that one of our goals in Ukraine is denazification."

On military spending:
"This is a completely healthy budget and a healthy economy, so it's not true to say that we spend too much on guns and forget about butter."
"All previously announced development plans, the achievement of strategic goals and all social obligations assumed by the state for the population are being fully implemented."

On the budget:
"We are coping [with financing the conflict] and I have reason to believe that we will cope in the future ... Ultimately, at the end of the year we will have a [budget] deficit somewhere around 1% of GDP. And for the coming years - 2024-2025 - we expect that the deficit will be somewhere around 1% of GDP ...
“We have a stable, sustainable situation. We have overcome all the problems that arose after sanctions were imposed on us, and begun the next stage of development on a new basis."

On Western 'arrogance':
"Western influence over the world is a giant Ponzi scheme."
"All the time, we hear 'You must', 'You have to', 'We're seriously warning you'. Who are you anyway? What right do you have to warn someone? Maybe it’s time you got rid of your arrogance, stopped behaving that way towards the world."
"It’s time to drop this thinking, from the era of colonial rule ... That era is long over, and will never return."

On Russia's approach:
"We have always tried and are trying to offer solutions that take into account everyone's interests, but our interlocutors in the West seem to have completely forgotten that there are such concepts as reasonable self-restraint, compromises, readiness to give in something in order to achieve what is acceptable to everyone.

On war in Ukraine:
"There is permanently increasing military and political pressure [from the West]. We have to respond. I have said many times that it was not us who started the war in Ukraine. On the contrary, we are trying to end it."

On confrontation with West:
"Everyone realises that in an international system where arbitrariness reigns ... anyone can be under attack simply for the reason that this or that country was not liked by the hegemon, who has lost his sense of proportion and, I would add, his sense of reality. Unfortunately, we have to admit that our counterparties in the West have lost their sense of reality."
"Adherence to bloc approaches, the desire to drive the world into a situation of constant confrontation between 'us' and 'them' is a vicious legacy of the 20th century. It is a product of Western political culture. The West always needs an enemy."
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Jury rigged COTS drones and dedicated loitering munitions have kept me up at night since 2016 when I started to learn about them. They'll be a part of every conflict from here on out. Even the Mexican cartels are using them against the government and each other . It's only a matter of time before some non-state actor uses them on a Western civilian populace and we seem no closer to an integrated defense solution to them
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GBTX01:

I was following the battle of Mosul fairly closely, and I recall ISIS terrorizing Iraqi SOF using drone dropped munitions. I was reading reports of Iraqi SOF panicking the second they got word a drone was in the air, doing non-stop mag dumps into the air in an effort to bring them down, etc. The writing has been on the wall for a while, and we've been painfully slow to respond, I think.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#49]
More on Valdai from Moscow Times (independent).
“Lasting peace will be established only when everyone feels safe, understands that their opinion is respected and that there is balance in the world, when no one is able to force others to live and behave as the hegemon wishes,”
View Quote
But Ukraine is excluded from feeling safe, being respected, having balance, and Russia gets to force others to live and behave as they want? I'm so sick of those Russian Nazi fascist scum.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:36:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#50]

???????? ??? “??????” ? ??????????? ??????????
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4969 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top