Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 806 of 5590)
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wjwill:
Just a hypothetical question here...

Send F35's to knock out sams with AWAC supoort
F22's to provide CAP
AC-130's, A10's, and AH64's to clean up ground targets

Could it be done with no boots on the geound and how long would it take to clean house of the russian armor?
View Quote

I like the thought of the F-35's but not sure if AWACS detects SAM sites or if that is a JSTARS or some other platform capability.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

I'm going with "no".  

Nobody in the west is shooting first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Originally Posted By Consigli:

Does the deliberate destruction of nuclear plants to spread radiation justify a first strike nuke attack?

I'm going with "no".  

Nobody in the west is shooting first.

And Putin knows that. So he nukes Ukraine without firing a nuke. We should level Gomel and Minsk in Belarus. And tell Putin that if intervines, we will use nukes. Use his own theats against him..... Oh wait, we have a giant pussy in the White House.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By elcope:

As someone who has served continuously since the Cold War (1985) and the Russians are going to break through the Fulda Gap OMG, I'm disappointed in their performance. I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well the premise of "let's dump shit-tons of easy-to-use ATGM's and MANPADS" doctrine is working out for the Ukrainians. Who knew that arming the fuck out of motivated people works?

Do I think the Soviets of the 1980's would have performed better than now, probably, but there were also a shit-ton more of them too. Same as us.

For days now, I've been told "to wait for their tier one units".

I posit that this is their tier one units. This is as good as they get on the large scale.

As a logistician, watching that 40 mile stalled convoy flounder is both professionally infuriating, (how could they do that to their own troops) as well as (C'mon Ukrainians, fuck that thing up) and hilariously amusing.

They've turned their own logistics convoy into the Ukrainians largest POW camp through their own inaction / inability to move. Day 8 into a 3 day move??? The first half of that convoy is out of fuel and the batteries are dead. The morale in that convoy must be absolute shit.

Half those trucks will still be there 3 months from now even if no one is shooting at the maintenance recovery teams, or the Ukrainian version of rednecks don't steal them.

I look forward to the videos.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:

What's the talk around the water cooler about this?

I'm blown away at how they've broken down.

As someone who has served continuously since the Cold War (1985) and the Russians are going to break through the Fulda Gap OMG, I'm disappointed in their performance. I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well the premise of "let's dump shit-tons of easy-to-use ATGM's and MANPADS" doctrine is working out for the Ukrainians. Who knew that arming the fuck out of motivated people works?

Do I think the Soviets of the 1980's would have performed better than now, probably, but there were also a shit-ton more of them too. Same as us.

I posit that this is their tier one units. This is as good as they get on the large scale.

As a logistician, watching that 40 mile stalled convoy flounder is both professionally infuriating, (how could they do that to their own troops) as well as (C'mon Ukrainians, fuck that thing up) and hilariously amusing.

They've turned their own logistics convoy into the Ukrainians largest POW camp through their own inaction / inability to move. Day 8 into a 3 day move??? The first half of that convoy is out of fuel and the batteries are dead. The morale in that convoy must be absolute shit.

Half those trucks will still be there 3 months from now even if no one is shooting at the maintenance recovery teams, or the Ukrainian version of rednecks don't steal them.

I have assumed this is the answer to the question of why isn't anyone shooting at the convoy. Why would they? They literally made their own prison camp they can't escape.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

I wouldn't even focus on the convoy at this point. I'd focus on anything coming to resupply it.  Eventually it will run out of food or desertion will get high enough to render it even more combat ineffective than it currently is.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tboy:

Looks like a bad publicity stunt to me based on the title so I'm not going to waste my time or energy reading something that I'm suspect about.  I just don't get people asking for money to do something that they're convicted on doing.  I can see asking for money for supplies but not personal expenses.  But I also have been "giving until it hurts" to the point of crying and never asked for anything for myself and I won't accept anything (which is extremely difficult for Ukrainians to understand).  I did have friends give money to my refugees since they have nothing and I am very grateful for that.  I never asked them for help but they insisted because they knew these people are in desperate need.  I guess I could post a picture of their living conditions but I think that would be pandering.

But I guess I'm shallow to some folks.  I got pissed at another American that demanded that I provide $20 to some girl transporting orphans to the border.  Maybe I was out of line but I was on the road with a clown car full of exhausted kids with this guy constantly telling me to abandon them at either an airport or train station.

I haven't slept much this past week and have become drained while spending half my time telling family why I'm not abandoning UA and the other half trying to do the best I can for those with nothing.  You guys need to realize these million plus refugees in Europe aren't the only crisis.  Those left behind are barely getting by after this Covid nonsense and I just don't know how they're going to survive another economic crisis.  Just too many windmills that folks are telling me not to charge.

So, I'm tired of foreigners using us for sensationalism.  I've refused multiple interviews and watched the TV crews swarm over tired people, having no place to go, while aid workers getting their photo ops, looking all good for the cameras.  That just turns me off.  Sorry.

It's after 1am here and I have to sign off soon so can't keep up with this never ending thread.  The last time I tried, it took me 2 days.  Now I'm just too busy with immediate issues affecting Ukrainians to watch the news.  This has been an informative thread but it's just become overwhelming for me to follow and answer properly.

Just be careful of scammers because many of you have a big heart and want to help.  I want to try to make this happen but competing with other "fundraisers" gives me a bad taste in my mouth.
View Quote

Brother I’ll call you in the next day or two and see if I can bring a bunch more medical gear like Erin, besides just me and my combat gear. God bless you- I also believe in giving until it hurts. This is a battle between good and evil.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]

The Ukrainians still have S300's, though I'm not sure on their missile supply.
View Quote
Surely the Russians would understand how to defeat their own system. I hope they can't but damn.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MattyCR:

He talking about a large size soft stick RC airplane.  Would need a decent motor and prop and youd want more than a 1/4lbs of C4 to do anything more than kill a soldier or two.

Id be working on heavy lift octocopters that can drop multiple mortar rounds.
View Quote

Apparently the Ukranians got pretty good at the dropped mortar thing in the past. I saw a video yesterday of them dropping a mortar on a guy and it landed DIRECTLY on his head. Popped his fuckin head right off.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]

F22's to provide CAP

Could it be done with no boots on the geound and how long would it take to clean house of the russian armor?
View Quote

Based on their current performance against the Ukrainians? About 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
Putin apparently doesn't have sole control over Russian nukes.
View All Quotes

Seems like Putin is getting backed into a corner and running out of options.

Seems like he has only two left. Win or launch nukes. I'm pretty sure he won't get taken alive.

I've been wondering if the doctrine of MAD applies to megalomaniac's?

If Napoleon had nukes would he have used them once he realized he would loose the Battle of Waterloo?

Would Hitler have used them?

Mad only makes sense if you are rational, logical.
Putin apparently doesn't have sole control over Russian nukes.

Who oversees Putin and how does that work? Because I think in Putins mind its either win or nuke and take everyone with him. We have all met people like that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By x248716x:

a better path would be to raise import tariffs on chinese-manufactured goods, and provide tax incentives for US companies to transfer manufacturing from overseas back to the United States.

but, oh wait.  Biden & Hunter are in bed with the Chinese, therefore "Xiden".  and ... no more mean tweets.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By x248716x:
Originally Posted By madwis15:

I'd rather just see companies abandon China just like they did with Russia. That would hurt them far more.

a better path would be to raise import tariffs on chinese-manufactured goods, and provide tax incentives for US companies to transfer manufacturing from overseas back to the United States.

but, oh wait.  Biden & Hunter are in bed with the Chinese, therefore "Xiden".  and ... no more mean tweets.

Agreed, on all counts. We are fucked because those with the power to make that change are the ones profiting the most by it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Seems the only real move today was towards the north side of Odessa.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Originally Posted By CavScout:
Seems some of the live invasion analysis streams are quiet today/tonight. What are we watching? The Nemico(n) child or something better?
Seems the only real move today was towards the north side of Odessa.

did that amphibious assault ever happen?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Gunner226:
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Originally Posted By Chokey:

Good. Somebody is saying it.

A lot of people are saying it.

Elon might be able to make it happen.

Elon kind of straddles the middle. He's been saying some red-pillish things lately, but still has a large following of lefty environmentalist types. If HE is saying we need to drill, a lot of those people might start to open their minds a little. Enough to matter? Time will tell, I guess.

Yeah well, if you have to rely on a filthy unmarked ford 350 diesel with an aluminum trailer to pick up one of your lightly used 100k$ cars twice a year....
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mokerr:

Jack Posobiec is a fucking idiot and it amazes me people still follow him
View Quote

have some more.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Given the distances to front line fighting, Id take payload over endurance.  

Bigger issues Id have with am electronics is being jammed or plain old shot at.  

Id want to have a decent INS and make a smart flight plan to get in and out ASAP and carry as much as I could.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:

I've got a big hex that can pick up roughly 15lbs. Thing about multicopters is they typically don't have a lot of endurance/range. With just a gopro and transmitter, my big hex gets about 40minutes of endurance. With a 10lb payload, that probably would drop in half. Those styrofoam FQM-117Bs have about 15 minutes on glow fuel, 25 minutes if you use batteries and an electric motor. I like them because they're easy to mount payloads in.

Given the distances to front line fighting, Id take payload over endurance.  

Bigger issues Id have with am electronics is being jammed or plain old shot at.  

Id want to have a decent INS and make a smart flight plan to get in and out ASAP and carry as much as I could.

Is this stuff ITAR restricted? Could knockdown kits be sent to Poland for assembly/transportation to frontline?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
https://i.imgur.com/Mi8pfWK.gif
View Quote

Well done.
We can only wish.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:27:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#16]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

Apparently the Ukranians got pretty good at the dropped mortar thing in the past. I saw a video yesterday of them dropping a mortar on a guy and it landed DIRECTLY on his head. Popped his fuckin head right off.
View All Quotes

He talking about a large size soft stick RC airplane.  Would need a decent motor and prop and youd want more than a 1/4lbs of C4 to do anything more than kill a soldier or two.

Found the video. Check it out at about 20 seconds in. What a shot!

(NSFW) Ukrainian Quadcopter Makes Direct Hit On Russian Proxy With Mini Bomb (FNN 13)

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By zach_:

Well done.
We can only wish.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zach_:

Well done.
We can only wish.

Brutal yet perfect
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Hmmm....

Well, would not be the first time someone with money tried to get others less fortunate (or hard working) to fight their battles for them.

Not that i hold a grudge. Everyone wants to be rich, not everyone wants to die fighting.

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I'm just here for the skull-fucking part of this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Does Federal make 5.45?  If so why don't I already have 15 cases of it?  It would be releasable brass .
View Quote

Federal 5.45 would be a treat.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

wow, awesome.  now, somehow just need to sneak that in onto Russia state broadcast evening news.  would be epic.  Is Edward Snowden still there?  He'd be the guy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Johnrpb:

Is this stuff ITAR restricted? Could knockdown kits be sent to Poland for assembly/transportation to frontline?
View Quote

Depends on who is considering it.  A lot of shit could be ITAR depending on the given application.  Id say yes if it had integrated targeting systems and a deployment mechanism on board.

Octos could definitely be made/build for deployment.  Not cheap though, especially for heavy lift, those cost as much as some small cars.  Hell, youd be getting into gas/electric to carry a 30-50# payload.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

Maybe to watch and see how the Russians react to it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DeathMetalMedic:
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
Ukraine still has 'significant majority' of its military aircraft

https://www.reuters.com/world/ukraine-still-has-significant-majority-its-military-aircraft-us-official-2022-03-04/

Uh .... why are we telling the world this?

Regardless, the fact that Ukrainian air power is still a factor in this conflict is remarkable.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By norseman1:

Hmmm....

Well, would not be the first time someone with money tried to get others less fortunate (or hard working) to fight their battles for them.

Not that i hold a grudge. Everyone wants to be rich, not everyone wants to die fighting.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By norseman1:

Hmmm....

There's also something to be said about who follows international relations and who watches ESPN all day.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Getting caught up and seeing people talking shit on Federal and Musk.

Is butthurt ointment blocked by the sanctions package or something? Get a grip.

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#27]

If I were in charge, I would only attack that convoy at intersections to further add to the mayhem / difficulty in remedying the situation.
View Quote
I had a similar idea. Attack them to separate them and destroy them in detail. No real idea on how to do that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#28]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3KkEMxA4EQ
View All Quotes

Woah!
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

What about a kamikaze drone equipped with a thermite charge?  Land on a vehicle, activate thermite. Could that burn through an engine cover?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#31]
That's a 5.45 '74 from the look of the brake. Perfect for kids - short length of pull and almost zero recoil. My son shot mine when he was 7 with no probs at all.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By racer765:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/CA712EE3-A7E2-423D-A72B-ABA71F81C0C4_jpe-2301645.JPG

ar would be a better platform for kids.  less recoil, adjustable stock, lighter.  
That's a 5.45 '74 from the look of the brake. Perfect for kids - short length of pull and almost zero recoil. My son shot mine when he was 7 with no probs at all.

If untrained, unknowledgeable about maintenance, semi or can rock auto ... AK is the go to.  From Africa to Middle East, any kid or idiot can be effective with one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Depends on who is considering it.  A lot of shit could be ITAR depending on the given application.  Id say yes if it had integrated targeting systems and a deployment mechanism on board.

Octos could definitely be made/build for deployment.  Not cheap though, especially for heavy lift, those cost as much as some small cars.  Hell, youd be getting into gas/electric to carry a 30-50# payload.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Johnrpb:

I'd go with Skywalker X-8s if you can get it off the standard channels.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#33]

The Ukrainians also still have some A2A / fighter interceptor capability.

They probably would be willing to risk their use for actual bombers.
View Quote
True
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mnd6563:

Adderall, Germans invented Methamphetamines to create super soldiers.  It works for a few days, then they get irritable and stab each other for farting in the tank.
View Quote

I was a tweaker for a rather regrettable time25 years ago. It works great for about a week, sort of. Then it's an endless numb zombie chase to catch up. It gets hard stay with just one thing long enough to actually finish before starting on something else. I can only imagine the bright, alert, seemingly bushy tailed chaos of a whole unit of of grunts 120 hours behind on sleep, but wide awake, would be like.

"Yessir Sarn't I'll get that done right away!" and then they get sidetracked and spend 4 hours on some ancillary task.
"Oh shit, I was supposed to X!"
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:

What about a kamikaze drone equipped with a thermite charge?  Land on a vehicle, activate thermite. Could that burn through an engine cover?
View Quote

MAYBE?  Thermite isnt as awesome as it sounds.  Also weighs a lot.

If I was in Ukraine trying to make expedient attack drones, theyd be dropping at LEAST a grenade and preferably mortar rounds on human targets.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By CPT1-285TH:

Yeah, the muzzle brake on the AK-74 is very effective.  Recoil seems almost non-existent compared to even the AR-15.  The Russians definitely got that design right.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CPT1-285TH:

Yeah, the muzzle brake on the AK-74 is very effective.  Recoil seems almost non-existent compared to even the AR-15.  The Russians definitely got that design right.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
I ain't buying it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Of course.  Higher incomes don't enlist.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Do not believe anything until it's officially denied. There we go. Ukraine can now expect guests from Belorussia.

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Tough to lose them when they stay on the ground.
Edit: I don't blame them for saving them, and the pilots. That is the most expensive part of their military.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

https://www.reuters.com/world/ukraine-still-has-significant-majority-its-military-aircraft-us-official-2022-03-04/

Tough to lose them when they stay on the ground.
Edit: I don't blame them for saving them, and the pilots. That is the most expensive part of their military.

That's what I'm thinking.

Seems to be LOTS of anti-air in the Russian forces.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#41]

yup, shows the arrogant smugness of rich people knowing that they're not the ones who will be getting their hands bloodied.  fuckers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I am right there with you. I wasn’t logistics while I was in, but I’m deeply involved in logistics now in a different arena. When I couple my current experience with my military experience while examining the Russian performance, it’s somewhere between

And

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Regardless, the fact that Ukrainian air power is still a factor in this conflict is remarkable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DeathMetalMedic:

Uh .... why are we telling the world this?

A factor? Sounds like they mostly own it. Which means if they had a dozen of the maligned A10s, there would no longer be a column north of Kiev.

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Tboy:

All I can legally carry now is a knife.  Things aren't bad enough in Lviv yet, especially since the vast majority of home guard have nothing.  I finally started seeing soldiers, one stationed next to the Russian Consulate who confronted me and made me delete a picture I took of the abandoned complex.  Nice guys.  They have been very confrontational but pretty cool, considering what's going on.  One friend said that there is a heavily armed checkpoint near one of the crucial crossroads/bridges.  I must have gotten lucky last night.
View Quote

well, at least they didn't Saran-wrap you to a telephone pole and pull your pants down.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

There are all sorts of fun small.payloads you could put on cheap drones and they wouldn't need to be disposable.

Few hundred drones with grenades on a supply line or thermite package would be pretty nasty
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:43:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Theodoric] [#46]

That's what I'm thinking.

Seems to be LOTS of anti-air in the Russian forces.
View Quote
That is just staggering, if true.  I guess it's that the Russians are that bad, the Ukrainian pilots are that good, and the intel we are giving them is just incredible.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Woah!
View All Quotes

Woah!

Is that real?  If so, holy fucking shit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#48]

shocking that the people who will do everything in their power to protect their kids from having to go are the ones who most want tge war.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Seems like Putin is getting backed into a corner and running out of options.

Seems like he has only two left. Win or launch nukes. I'm pretty sure he won't get taken alive.

I've been wondering if the doctrine of MAD applies to megalomaniac's?

If Napoleon had nukes would he have used them once he realized he would loose the Battle of Waterloo?

Would Hitler have used them?

Mad only makes sense if you are rational, logical.
View Quote

Putin is not likely to be deposed from within.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By alphabavo:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alphabavo:

F22's to provide CAP

Not even long enough to get through the Dos Gringos playlist.

Page / 5590
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 806 of 5590)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top