Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1959 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

Fight the Russians now (and maybe die) or die with your hands tied behind your back later.   Its really that simple for the Ukrainians.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:

This was two weeks ago in western UA

Fight the Russians now (and maybe die) or die with your hands tied behind your back later.   Its really that simple for the Ukrainians.

So... a dozen women?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:

The US will dangle the F-35's in front of them again, like a multi-billion dollar carrot, and all the problems will go away.

View Quote
Turkey knows it is situated in a strategic position that NATO cannot afford to lose.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SpaceGuy:
The problem is that the lack of reasoning among many here in GD will proliferate to MANY OTHER AREAS.

Say 2 years from now... How much of GD will be against defending Taiwan because Biden did business in China? Imagine the line of discussion: "We shouldn't get involved in the military invasion of Taiwan because Biden is Xi's Puppet. He wants us to fight the Chinese, then stand down lose, and get annexed too!" "Australia isn't our friend! Kamala has investments there!" and so on.

The enemy will use every possible line of reasoning to distract and disinvolve us from their campaigns. I have absolutely NO doubt the Chinese are looking at how effective Russian Psyops are against the right wing, and will be taking some of that sweet, sweet Antifa money and put it towards more right-wing publications. Heck, I've seen Epoch (which is insanely anti-CCP) run so much anti-UA stuff, it scares me to think how easy the Chinese are going to run an end-around to mitigate them with controlled opposition in the years to come.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

It's not just the Russians running dis-info ops on conservatives. 95% of the skepticism over Ukraine comes from our own demo-commies using Ukraine as a slush fund and money laundering OP since before 2014.

Convincing some American conservatives that Ukraine is worth our interest and tax dollars is Kinda like trying to convince ya'll that 2016 and 2020 was filled with fraud.  Both can be true at the same time!
The problem is that the lack of reasoning among many here in GD will proliferate to MANY OTHER AREAS.

Say 2 years from now... How much of GD will be against defending Taiwan because Biden did business in China? Imagine the line of discussion: "We shouldn't get involved in the military invasion of Taiwan because Biden is Xi's Puppet. He wants us to fight the Chinese, then stand down lose, and get annexed too!" "Australia isn't our friend! Kamala has investments there!" and so on.

The enemy will use every possible line of reasoning to distract and disinvolve us from their campaigns. I have absolutely NO doubt the Chinese are looking at how effective Russian Psyops are against the right wing, and will be taking some of that sweet, sweet Antifa money and put it towards more right-wing publications. Heck, I've seen Epoch (which is insanely anti-CCP) run so much anti-UA stuff, it scares me to think how easy the Chinese are going to run an end-around to mitigate them with controlled opposition in the years to come.

Very true - makes no sense but it makes "cents". Epoch Times looked at the Tucker Carlson crowd since they always aligned with his audiences line of thinking (I was a big Tucker fan also just like my Ukrainian mother until he started his Kremlin bullshit). Epoch could not support Ukraine being invaded by Russia when Tucker has guests on like former Moscow State Institute of International Relations employee Clinton Ehrlich who states on his Facebook page that Ukraine is shelling its own hospitals to blame Russia.

A friend of mine got Epoch Times as a birthday gift a few months ago. He used to love to ask me questions about what is happening to Ukraine and was always pro-Ukrainian. Not really any more.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Great read.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doc540:
30 volunteer "drone unit" stops orchs early on

Volunteers - No Funding - Kills Orchs

Great read.

Yep, right now the R-18 drone units are doing over 200 sorties per day.  If they see something big, info goes to other units to hit it.  Most R-18's are doing night missions.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TylerF:
Turkey knows it is situated in a strategic position that NATO cannot afford to lose.
View Quote

Make Constantinople Greek Again.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

Very true - makes no sense but it makes "cents". Epoch Times looked at the Tucker Carlson crowd since they always aligned with his audiences line of thinking (I was a big Tucker fan also just like my Ukrainian mother until he started his Kremlin bullshit). Epoch could not support Ukraine being invaded by Russia when Tucker has guests on like former Moscow State Institute of International Relations employee Clinton Ehrlich who states on his Facebook page that Ukraine is shelling its own hospitals to blame Russia.

A friend of mine got Epoch Times as a birthday gift a few months ago. He used to love to ask me questions about what is happening to Ukraine and was always pro-Ukrainian. Not really any more.
View Quote

And see, the Epoch stuff worries me because the playbook in Ukraine can and would be used against Taiwan, Tibet, or anywhere else the CCP wants.... "Protecting Ethnic Han Chinese" is a great line. It should have utterly horrified Epoch what Russia did, but instead, its all I get in my Epoch news feed, which is just nuts. This tells me that they're willing to feed into BS logic too, as long as the ad dollars from that viewership niche stay. So even they will kowtow to money, rather than principles.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Looks like they have decent setups

CZ Bren 2 with Eotech and magnifier
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#9]
It appears what many GD'ers are missing is that both Ukraine and Russia were notorious criminal-managed enterprises prior to this war.

Criminal cartels took precedence over politics, principles, freedom, God, mother, and whatever else is on that list.

However,

Ukraine must prevail.

Putin must disappear.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:09:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#10]
Fast and furious, Donbass edition.  Two Russian bmp's strike mines, the second one finds two.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/uqziox/two_destroyed_russian_bmps_after_entering_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:09:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#11]

And see, the Epoch stuff worries me because the playbook in Ukraine can and would be used against Taiwan, Tibet, or anywhere else the CCP wants.... "Protecting Ethnic Han Chinese" is a great line. It should have utterly horrified Epoch what Russia did, but instead, its all I get in my Epoch news feed, which is just nuts. This tells me that they're willing to feed into BS logic too, as long as the ad dollars from that viewership niche stay. So even they will kowtow to money, rather than principles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

I had big hopes for Epoch Times but for them to throw Ukraine aside for Russian propaganda just to avoid losing some of their audience tells me they are like any other alternative conservative news business. They won't fold on the Taiwan issue but it will be interesting to see how Kremlin spins that conflict - and yes, the Kremlin would be involved in this issue VERY heavily. I'm sure that the "USA has had biolabs in Taiwan for decades!" BS will be just one of many the conservatards will lap up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Hking:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hking:

Yes. It appears that all the SCARs, BRENs, and AR-type rifles go straight to Ukrainian special ops or foreign legion special ops UNLESS a Ukrainian bought an AR at a gun shop with his/her own money.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

Unfortunately an awful lot of people have been very,very influenced by the Internet. My SO of 12 years and I are taking a break from each other now that may very well become permanent due to how much Jordan Peterson and Gad Saad and their social media circle has shaped her world view from being conservative to having moments of sheer crazy talk. It's a horrible thing to essentially lose someone to the internet but I can not accept "you have to at least be skeptical,Ukraine is corrupt and has faked many things" when discussing mass murder. We are a tiny nation on Russia's border,I don't want to hear about "they have their security concerns too". No.

View Quote

If this war in Europe doesn't turn her around, I'd say find yourself a better woman. Hope there are not kids involved.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Problem solved
View Quote

I'm in.

Erdogan certainly keeps Turkey's interests above all others.

Too bad it's at the cost of Ataturk's legacy however.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]

The losses of males in DPR/LPR have been staggering. I wonder if this is part of a Russian repopulation strategy once the war is over and they think they win: Move in a ton of breeding-age males to make more Russian kids in these regions. Probably gonna do that with the Buryats too.
View Quote
Probably.  From reading tweets from Chechens, it sounds like there is a growing anti-infidel, anti-russian sentiment again.  After Putin's war concludes, there's going to be another attempt for musilms in Chechnya to break away is my belief.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#16]
It appears what many GD'ers are missing is that both Ukraine and Russia were notorious criminal-managed enterprises prior to this war.

Criminal cartels took precedence over politics, principles, freedom, God, mother, and whatever else is on that list.

However,

Ukraine must prevail.

Putin must disappear.

View Quote

What I had read prior to this war was that Ukraine was trying to shake the left over soviet corruption and was trying to move toward being a western style nation. They do NOT like russia or soviets. My daughter went to school with Ukranians.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Probably.  From reading tweets from Chechens, it sounds like there is a growing anti-infidel, anti-russian sentiment again.  After Putin's war concludes, there's going to be another attempt for musilms in Chechnya to break away is my belief.
View All Quotes

The losses of males in DPR/LPR have been staggering. I wonder if this is part of a Russian repopulation strategy once the war is over and they think they win: Move in a ton of breeding-age males to make more Russian kids in these regions. Probably gonna do that with the Buryats too.
That's the thing. There are no breeding age Russian males to move in.

The Russian military is supposed to Slavic majority by design, and they cannot even maintain that.

Russia cannot even repopulate itself.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By realwar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd4XtwmEdPc
View Quote

She was on track until she equated supporting Ukraine with regime change
Because putin is the only one wanting regime change, by toppling a popularly elected government that actually did run on a reform platform.  How well they well getting along with that I don’t know.  
But there surely is a lot of nonsense and crooked spending in all that $40B.

Still destroying the Russian military and its current government is a good thing.  

Getting rid of the rampant corruption in the supposedly ethical western governments like the USA and most of not all of Western Europe- will probably take an Act of God.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]

If this war in Europe doesn't turn her around, I'd say find yourself a better woman. Hope there are not kids involved.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

Unfortunately an awful lot of people have been very,very influenced by the Internet. My SO of 12 years and I are taking a break from each other now that may very well become permanent due to how much Jordan Peterson and Gad Saad and their social media circle has shaped her world view from being conservative to having moments of sheer crazy talk. It's a horrible thing to essentially lose someone to the internet but I can not accept "you have to at least be skeptical,Ukraine is corrupt and has faked many things" when discussing mass murder. We are a tiny nation on Russia's border,I don't want to hear about "they have their security concerns too". No.

Europeans don't have kids!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Capta:

I hope for Russia’s sake they can accomplish change without suffering utter defeat, but I am highly skeptical.
That said, the Russians in the middle of that mess who do what is right no matter the cost have my utmost respect.  It’s easy to make the right choice when there are no consequences involved.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

That same probably majority of old people (I say probably because we really don't know) also gets their news from state media and knows no other way. I'm not excusing it- I know a couple of these people and it's no less disgusting. Yes, I agree Russia as a nation always chooses authoritarianism- for the last 20 years it's been a...sort of softer authoritarianism, and is now getting "stronger" and pushing those young people out. What else can they really do? They're unarmed. They've always been unarmed.
So they leave, or they suffer in silence (another very Russian thing to do).
Ultimately my point is that there are a significant number of Russians that are NOT like what we're seeing these animals in Ukraine do. Remember, even a lot of those guys have surrendered, and supposedly refused to follow orders- whether out of self preservation or conscience, nobody knows.

I hope for Russia’s sake they can accomplish change without suffering utter defeat, but I am highly skeptical.
That said, the Russians in the middle of that mess who do what is right no matter the cost have my utmost respect.  It’s easy to make the right choice when there are no consequences involved.

Agreed
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

What I had read prior to this war was that Ukraine was trying to shake the left over soviet corruption and was trying to move toward being a western style nation. They do NOT like russia or soviets. My daughter went to school with Ukranians.
View Quote

network security professionals know the work of Ukrainian and Russian cartels

both stole $billions from the U.S. alone
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#22]

However,

Ukraine must prevail.

Putin must disappear.

View Quote

I work I.T. and I can easily point at 50 recent instances of Russian organized crime in the U.S.. Stuff ranging from ransomware to bank robberies. From the news, they are all over Europe selling guns and smuggling all kinds of crap. On the other hand, I really can't point of any specific Ukrainian examples of the same.

I've heard a MANY people say Ukraine has an OC problem and a corrupt government. I can't seem to find anything other than the Eastern European hobby of embezzlement and money laundering for tax evasion. Both of which are endemic everywhere over there. Maybe a leftover from outright Soviet flavored communism?

I guess my question is: What are you talking about when you say Ukraine has a notorious criminal problem?

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#23]

I'm in.

View All Quotes

Problem solved

I'm in.

Ataturk and the so-called 'Young Turks' were genocidally murderous sonofabitches.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#24]

GROT Machine gun for the Armed Forces of Poland: is it a good replacement for the Kalash?

By the Ukrainian Gun Owners Association (zbroya.info)

Soldiers of the Ukrainian Defense Forces have already started receiving Polish GROT guns, which Warsaw is handing over as military aid.

This small automatic weapon under the caliber 5.56x45 NATO is new for Poland itself. Its mass serial production began only in 2017, and it is thanks to GROT that the Polish Army plans to abandon the Soviet legacy.
GROT machine as a challenge for Poland

For Poland's defense industry, the development of the GROT was a challenge, as it was about developing an assault rifle from scratch. Earlier, in 1997, the Poles developed and deployed production of the wz.96 Beryl machine gun, but this was only an upgrade of the AK-74 to NATO cartridge.

In addition, the Poles immediately set themselves the maximum high bar - the new development had to be better than the German HK416 and the Belgian FN SCAR-L. And these two models are not only new, but also one of the best in their class, combining reliability and efficiency.

Moreover, the main feature of GROT is modularity. And in a much broader sense than in many other shooting systems. Virtually the entire system is a constructor from which it is possible to assemble a rifle, machine gun, assault rifle and compact weapon for combat in cities or for armored crews. And all this in the field.

There is also a bulpup version of the machine, which uses the same modules, but has not yet gone into series.

As a result, the GROT was developed from 2007 to 2017, in which it was adopted in the version of the assault rifle with the index GROT C16 FB-M1. The first batch of weapons underwent a thorough research operation, during which deficiencies were identified in the weakness of plastic elements and other "children's diseases".

This caused a relatively high-profile "weapons" scandal and the manufacturer upgraded as quickly as possible. GROT C16 FB-M2 received a longer stream to cover the gas block, reinforced drummer, modified handle and butt.

Features of the GROT C16 FB-M2 automatic rifle

GROT C16 is a classic assault rifle with automatic piston short-stroke automatic and barrel channel locking when turning the shutter. Aluminum and impact-resistant plastic are widely used in the design, but the weight of the rifle without cartridges for the version with a barrel of 406 mm (16 inches) - 3.65 kg, which is approximately equal to the AK-74. Dimensions are also standard: 900 mm and 843 mm with folded butt.

The developers paid special attention to ergonomics. A classic for NATO countries, a three-position safety fuse-selector for the thumb. Mine for a standard NATO store and a large key for its reset. Shutter knobs on both sides, which remain stationary when firing.

As for the range and accuracy of GROT C16 firing, they are standard for assault rifles. The aiming range is defined by the developers at 500 meters, the standard cluster according to the specification is 150 mm from the average aiming point per 100 meters. Speed ​​is also standard for NATO systems - 700-900 shots per minute.

The development of the Poles' own automatic weapons, especially from scratch, without the use of the American AR platform or Kalashnikov's work, of course, caused fierce envy in Russia.

This resulted in a number of publications, which reproduced all the shortcomings identified in the first version of GROT C16, and the "winner" of course was "St. Kalash". But the main disadvantage of the AK-74 and the newer AK-12, primarily in ammunition 5.45x39, which is worse than NATO 5.56x45.

In the West, the vast majority of observers, first of all, noted the convenience of GROT. This is what our fighters, who have already received these weapons, say. As for the peculiarities of operation in real combat, it is likely that reviews will appear no less quickly.

As for the price, in 2019 Warsaw ordered 18,000 GROT C16 for 40.2 million dollars, which gives the cost of one rifle at 2,233 dollars.
Features GROT C16 FB-M2

Ammunition: 5, 56x45 mm NATO

Initial velocity of bullets: 890 m / s

Muzzle energy: 1600 J.

Theoretical rate of fire: 700-900 shots per minute.

Aiming range: 500 m

Length with butt / with folded: 900/843 mm.

Barrel length: 406 mm.

Weight of the weapon without shop: 3650 g

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
The formula shortage and Russian invasion are not related. Russia attempting to occupy a country did not cause the shortage nor was the amount of formula sent close enough to effect supply here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Originally Posted By CletusRoundbelly:

Well, unless we sent 6 metric tons of baby formula to them while shelves are bare here. The U.S. government is the single biggest buyer of baby formula, this is done through the WIC program, and they have severely curtailed any other country from entering the market. That and the closing of the biggest baby formula plant in the country by the FDA over a bacterial infection in a few infants that was proven not to have been caused by their formula is why there isn't any available here.

I'd have to see the numbers before I made a decision on that. I already agree she is a bit of a loon otherwise.
The formula shortage and Russian invasion are not related. Russia attempting to occupy a country did not cause the shortage nor was the amount of formula sent close enough to effect supply here.

Most are missing her primary point
This regime is not doing its primary function and that is to work for the benefit of the US citizens
Instead they stock and hand out formula to illegals
They are making inflation worse.  Restricting the supply of fuel products and hurting all American consumers.  But then turn corn to fuel when it’s needed for food and animal feed
Destroying russia is good,   But there’s not an ounce of concern for American families and industry with the demorats

No doubt there’s lots of very sketchy kickback schemes within the $40B
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Et2ss:

Am I the only one who wants to see Estonia's Premier, and Finland's Prime Minister scissoring?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

However,

Ukraine must prevail.

Putin must disappear.

It was well on its way with the pro-USA Yushchenko administration back around 2006-2010 - I worked with them. With the help and skill of Paul Manafort, the Kremlin corruption was put back in with Yanukovych.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

I work I.T. and I can easily point at 50 recent instances of Russian organized crime in the U.S.. Stuff ranging from ransomware to bank robberies. From the news, they are all over Europe selling guns and smuggling all kinds of crap. On the other hand, I really can't point of any specific Ukrainian examples of the same.

I've heard a MANY people say Ukraine has an OC problem and a corrupt government. I can't seem to find anything other than the Eastern European hobby of embezzlement and money laundering for tax evasion. Both of which are endemic everywhere over there. Maybe a leftover from outright Soviet flavored communism?

I guess my question is: What are you talking about when you say Ukraine has a notorious criminal problem?

View Quote

They are right.

That's as specific as I'm going to get publicly.

And there's a significant difference between "working I.T." and specializing in network security.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:40:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cyclone] [#29]
Apparently, the KA-52 has problems.........unsure if propaganda, so take it for what its worth

Russia’s Ka-52 Attack Helicopters Have A Serious Vibration Problem
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Keep in mind how many people in the US have fallen victim to that - the numbers are staggering.

Therein lies the biggest disaster of the Trump legacy: The number of deluded people he left behind that fell for the nonsense he spouted. I only came to that realization AFTER he left office and saw the damage he had done to the people on the conservative/right side of the spectrum. Nobody uses critical thinking anymore. They believe what they want to believe and anything counter to the truth is dismissed as fake news. We all know how it goes. It's going to take years to undo the damage.
View Quote

What you describe isn't Trump's legacy. It's the establishment media's legacy. They destroyed their own credibility through decades of pushing propaganda in service to the "elites". Trump just pointed it out. And he was right. So, while you're right about the issue you're describing, it's wrong to hang it around Trump's neck. That's the equivalent of shooting the messenger. He didn't force the big media companies and tech companies to become propaganda arms of the establishment and knowingly peddle falsehoods 24/7/365. They decided to do that on their own. We, as a nation are better off for waking up to their treachery instead of sucking it all down. Cynicism and skepticism with respect to the info channels owned by the powerful and well-connected are healthy responses. That's the very definition of critical thinking.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tomislav:

Ataturk and the so-called 'Young Turks' were genocidally murderous sonofabitches.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tomislav:

Problem solved

I'm in.

I suppose I was referring to his secularism and belief of Republicanism.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

My takeaway was that this "small government Conservative" thinks the FedGov should be spending billions on producing formula because the private sector isn't meeting demand. Sounds like your typical Big R Republican to me...

If she cared so much about the formula shortage, she'd be sponsoring a bill to fast track the FDA reopening the plant it shuttered instead of crying about Ukraine.
View Quote

If the democrats wanted to reopen the Abbott plant they would
And since the Republicans are a minority party , just how is that going to happen?   They can try all they want to get these bills launched out of committees, but as long as the D chairman says no, it goes nowhere.  

Amazing how much ignorance of our political system there is here
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#33]

They are right.

And there's a significant difference between "working I.T." and specializing in network security.  
View All Quotes

They are right.

My dude, the first time I configured an ASA was 2001...
I do mail and IP blacklists for a company with 3500 employees these days. Layer 3 and up because I got sick of owning every issue.

I can't name a cash only colo in Ukraine, and the Vodafone IPs blacklisted are the result of Russian shit.

Shit isn't "Classified" and you can point fingies. Lay it one me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#34]

I do mail and IP blacklists for a company with 3500 employees these days. Layer 3 and up because I got sick of owning every issue.

I can't name a cash only colo in Ukraine, and the Vodafone IPs blacklisted are the result of Russian shit.

View Quote

that's all I'm sayin' about it in public

you nailed it when you said Eastern Europe is a security vipers' nest

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#35]

They are right.

View All Quotes

They are right.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Yep, right now the R-18 drone units are doing over 200 sorties per day.  If they see something big, info goes to other units to hit it.  Most R-18's are doing night missions.
View Quote

200 sorties a day?! Where'd you get this info? That's SUPER FASCINATING to hear about how many sorties the drones are doing, since it seems that the argument is that the Russians are running 100 manned plane missions a day.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#37]

View All Quotes

However,

Ukraine must prevail.

Putin must disappear.

He's been brainwashed into think Ukraine is that way. He doesn't know anything you don't already know
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

If you told him, would you have to kill him?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

If you told him, would you have to kill him?
View Quote

I have nothing to do with I.T.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

Just wounded?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

I remember Top Gear talking about buying cars in Bulgaria
"Low miles and only stolen once."
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:04:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#43]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

surrender appears to be in process

wounded are supposed to be given a "safe corridor"
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Croak:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a coping mechanism.  Might be more comforting/less scary to believe that Russia is being played in this conflict, or that Putin really just wants to thin out the Nazi herd, than it is to believe Russia is just being Russian.  Especially when you're bordering them.  Normalcy bias with a booster shot of talking heads.  

The Carlson/Owens/et al talking points about Ukraine are easily digestible if you were coming into this mostly uninformed, or just plain don't want to accept reality.  

Especially if over the course of the last few years you learned to trust and respect folks like Owens because they fought the woke orthodoxy.  And anything the orthodoxy likes must always be wrong, right?  We've been taught by these righteous fighters for the truth to never support The Current Thing, to do so is to be a lemming and tool.

"They were correct before, they must be correct now.  They're on my side!"  

No darlin', they aren't.  They're on their side, and the trick is figuring out what that means.

View Quote

There’s got to be an element of $ payoffs involved with Tucker and others (from russia/ putin).
When what’s in the $40B bill becomes open, and she did read off a few things (like covid assistance in UKR) and other funding that has nothing to do with killing russians or shooting down their missiles, more will get pissed off that things never change here - the swamp I mean.
For $40B the Ukrainians ought to be getting a wing of F-16s and a couple Patriot missile batteries - and they ought to be getting moved to the front of the line for those things and start training.
And you don’t want to be handing out too much rebuilding $$$ yet, not until the russian military is broken.   Why rebuild a city along the eastern border only to have it turn over hands in five years?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#45]
Steel Plant Siege Over?

"In order to save lives, the entire Mariupol garrison is implementing the approved decision of the Supreme Military Command and hopes for the support of the Ukrainian people," the Azov Regiment said in a social media post.

In an accompanying video, one of the unit's senior commanders, Denys Prokopenko, said: "The main thing is to realise all the risks, is there a plan B, are you fully committed to that plan which must allow for fulfilling the assigned tasks and preserve the lives and health of personnel?"

"This is the highest level of overseeing troops. All the more so when your decision is endorsed by the highest military command."

Prokopenko did not spell out what action the defenders were taking. The video was released hours after Russia said it had agreed to evacuate wounded Ukrainian soldiers to a medical facility in the Russian-controlled town of Novoazovsk.

legit?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:08:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PurpleOtter] [#46]
One of the biggest-ever Nato exercises in the Baltics is now under way.

Named "Hedgehog", the drills involve 10 countries, including Finland and Sweden, which are expected to formally apply to join the alliance within days.

The exercises in Estonia, which will last until 3 June, were arranged before Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Vladimir Putin has said Russia has no issue with Finland or Sweden, but a military expansion near its border would demand a reaction.

Sweden on Monday confirmed its intention to apply for Nato membership, joining Finland, which declared its position last week.

Nato has said the aim of the exercises is to "enhance the readiness and interoperability" of its forces.

Some 15,000 troops are involved in the exercise in Estonia, making it one of the largest military drills held in the country since 1991.

The exercise is taking place 64km (40 miles) from Russia's nearest military base. It is intended to simulate an attack from Russia on Estonia.

Russia sees Nato as a security threat and has warned of "consequences" for the prospective new members.

Sweden stayed neutral in World War Two and for more than two centuries has avoided joining military alliances.

Finland, meanwhile, shares a 1,300-km (810-mile) border with Russia. Until now, it has stayed out of Nato to avoid antagonising its eastern neighbour.

The exercises were planned before Russia's invasion of Ukraine on 24 February. But amid the growing security threat from Russia, they are being closely watched.

Finland and Sweden confirmed they will apply for Nato membership, on Thursday and Sunday respectively. They are expected to hand in their formal bids to join the alliance on Wednesday.

Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg suggested that there could be a fast-track process to the two countries' application, with interim security arrangements put in place to deal with any possible Russian retaliation.

Despite its rather cosy codename, Nato Exercise Hedgehog ("Siil" in Estonian) is taking place at a time of heightened tensions in the Baltics, says BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine has convinced governments in the region that they need to seriously beef up their defences if they are to deter President Putin from further military aggression, our correspondent adds.

Estonian Foreign Minister Eva-Maria Liimets said: "We see that once our close neighbours and friends would join Nato, then of course, the overall security environment in our region would increase and especially around the Baltic Sea."

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has said Russia was watching the expansion closely, adding that he was convinced it would not strengthen the security of Europe.

"This is a serious issue, an issue that raises our concern, and we will follow very carefully," he said.

Across Europe, other Nato exercises are being held in Poland, North Macedonia and Lithuania.
View Quote

Nato begins its military exercises in Baltics
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:09:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#47]

200 sorties a day?! Where'd you get this info? That's SUPER FASCINATING to hear about how many sorties the drones are doing, since it seems that the argument is that the Russians are running 100 manned plane missions a day.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Let me find the source for you, I was impressed with that tidbit as well.

https://africa.businessinsider.com/military-and-defense/inside-the-elite-ukrainian-drone-unit-founded-by-volunteer-it-experts-we-are-all/mjtndlj

The team has drones flying 20 hours of the day on reconnaissance or combat missions, Mykhailo said.

Aerorozvidka is divided into the drone team, the Delta team, and a cybersecurity team.

Delta is a NATO-supported web-based situation awareness system that creates a map of Russian targets using information from various sources, including agents on land and reconnaissance data from the drone team.

The unit also uses Elon Musk's Starlink satellite system, which helps ensure connectivity even if there are internet or power outages.

The unit carries out around 300 reconnaissance missions daily and has destroyed "dozens, possibly hundreds of Russian vehicles, Mykhailo said.

Aerorozvidka typically carries out missions under cover of night because their drones' thermal imaging cameras give them an advantage. Equipped with night-vision goggles and sniper rifles, the drone soldiers would use quad bikes to move stealthily through the forests and get in position to attack the Russian forces.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

Most are missing her primary point
This regime is not doing its primary function and that is to work for the benefit of the US citizens
Instead they stock and hand out formula to illegals
They are making inflation worse.  Restricting the supply of fuel products and hurting all American consumers.  But then turn corn to fuel when it’s needed for food and animal feed
Destroying russia is good,   But there’s not an ounce of concern for American families and industry with the demorats

No doubt there’s lots of very sketchy kickback schemes within the $40B
View Quote

Yup. I think for many it isnt anything against Ukraine (although Ukraine has put a really bad taste in people's mouths after the democrat's money laundering schemes) but it's the outright inconsistency of all.

None of the democrats wanted to support Ukraine, sending fucking blankets and encouraging words after the 2014 invasion. Trump shows up and is the 1st to send lethal aid....the democrats impeach him (for asking Zelensky to stop corruption). Then Russia starts the huge buildup on the border, everyone suspects an invasion yet democrats offer a ride out for Zelensky. Eventually they are dragged kicking and screaming to help Ukraine and do as little as possible for 2 fucking months (veto'ing everything UA begs for like the MIG 29's) until it is 100% clear to the world that Ukraine and Zelenky's gov't will survive.

NOW...biden and the demo-commies want to go balls deep all of a sudden. I say great. But can we take a pause on the intentional destruction of our own country while ya'll pander for aid to Ukraine (10% for the big guy).

Many of the outspoken pro Ukraine dudes here hated Trump and mock MAGA. Where the fuck were ya'll when Trump was the first in sending Javelin's to UA? Did you cheer when FBHO/Biden sent them blankets? Yet now many have become enlightened and pro-Ukraine and mock MAGA!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dracster:
"The Ukrainian military is already being trained on the Slovak Zuzana 2 self-propelled artillery mounts.

"I can confirm - and you are the first to whom I confirmed this - that the training of Ukrainians on this technique is already underway, so there is a serious and very intense interest," (Slovak Minister of Defense Jaroslav) Nad said.

According to the minister, at least eight self-propelled guns will be transferred to the Armed Forces of Ukraine."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-05-16_09-22-01_jpg-2385848.JPG

View Quote

That’s pretty slick looking
I’m guessing everything is GPS coordinated so just drive up, set out some stabilizers, shoot to the requested coordinates for a couple rounds, then move a bit, repeat?   Very minimal setup time and minimal calculations.   Keep the counter battery risk to a minimum- just need to be on the lookout for russian spotter drones.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:

Why is United Kingdon allowing a Rusian ship to dock? Siezing the ship?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:

Why is United Kingdon allowing a Rusian ship to dock? Siezing the ship?

Or at least hopefully welch on the payment for the cargo, then impound the ship and crew.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1959 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top