Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 683 of 5590)
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mad_Anthony:

Someone touched on this last week. I heard Russian pilots don't get many actual flight training hours, probably because the Russian gov can't afford to pay for the fuel, aircraft maintenance or pilot salaries.  Then you have to consider all the air defence weapons that have been sent in to Ukraine; Russia can't afford to lose planes.

Wasn't it Longshanks who said arrows cost money but the dead cost nothing?
View Quote

Arrows cost money. Use up the Irish. The dead cost nothing. Longshanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
LOL Holy shit, first tanks and now bombs.

"The gypsies communicated with the occupiers."

View Quote

I thought those would be heavier
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Toybasher:
I'm surprised though that the Russian vehicles are getting abandoned so often. I thought Russian equipment was supposed to be reliable and could take serious abuse before breaking down.
View Quote
Yeah, that's never been the case:

The T-34 is not as good as you think it is

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:23:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HappyCamel] [#4]
Originally Posted By eesmith:
I have them, don't think I have room though considering everything I'm taking is really dedicated to trauma gear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nutro:
@EEsmith

Do you have plates (Body armor)?
I have them, don't think I have room though considering everything I'm taking is really dedicated to trauma gear.
Ship them to your first destination, or final destination before crossing border
ETA: we're talking about non-ITAR soft body armor Also bring a helmet if you have one for frag protection

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Do you plan on picking some up when you get in country?

Are you going to get a gofundme set up so we can help you out if you need it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:
I'm personally torn on the kindness to pow thing.

Russian animals who shell and kill civillians should get no quarter.

All my life I've believed Russians to be lowlife, stupid, brutal animals in general.

But that's also not how you get people to surrender.

Perhaps keeping the pows near vital military targets, like your. Bm30"s defending Kiev, or where shelling may happen is a good compromise
View Quote

WRONG.
Those Russian grunts mean nothing to Putin.  NOTHING.  In fact they are a political liability for him.
The Russians would happily shell POWS located on a target to kill two birds with one stone.  Destroy the target and liquidate their political liability.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]

How does he get all this on a plane??

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Tech-Com:
I've covered this for a week fulltime. 1,500 tweets. Probably have to return to a source of income now. Going to sleep to think on it. Hopefully things are quite tonight.

View Quote

You have done a great service, take care of yourself, and put your personal life first.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By realwar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND2k87Drs88
View Quote
Maybe if the Ukrainians keep this up (and the Russians out of the stores) they can starve them out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#10]

At what point do all of these POWs become an issue?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

The New & Improved Hermit Kingdom.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]
My guess is they're afraid they can't be replaced given chip shortages and the potential sanctions (which happened). Maybe they've lost more than they're comfortable with already.  

Maybe keep them back in case of a wider conflict.

Just my WAG.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By martin248:

*wombat dung BBQ deleted*

My guess is they're afraid they can't be replaced given chip shortages and the potential sanctions (which happened). Maybe they've lost more than they're comfortable with already.  

Maybe keep them back in case of a wider conflict.

Just my WAG.

More likely, they figured out that with Ukranian SAMs (portable and mobile) and AA, that their aircraft would likely get blown out of the sky. Since they also likely lack ISR assets, they might not even know what to hit with their aircraft even if they flew them. Their helos were getting swatted by Stingers and the like so they've pretty much been out of the fight after the first 2-3 days. I think they also know that while Ukraine is getting re-supplied with help from the west, they are on their own and not doing so well at that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By madwis15:

What is the Raid for?
Asking for a friend...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By madwis15:
Originally Posted By Easterner:
Originally Posted By safe1:

Got any hot glue and decorative steel beads?

No but I do have a lot of nails and screws from my last craft project. Ukraine doesn't exactly have everything you need in one place. I've been getting very creative lately.

What is the Raid for?
Asking for a friend...

Be careful.

The Raid can set off chemical attack sensors. All you need is accusations of chem weapons being introduced by UKR. Choose targets wisely, if you can.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Geez. With enough people walking around there, it should be pretty easy to disable those one way or another.  Surely our intelligence knows weak spots on these vehicles.  Suppressed .22s to tires and gas tanks?

There should be a mass coordinated effort to let them get close, play the same slow the tanks with civilians game, then a mass timed coordinated attack. If the majority of vehicles got hit at once, this is over.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Somethings fucky. He lifted that like it weighs 5-10lbs max. What ordnance only weights 5lbs?!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Awesome, thanks EE.

I'll hit it after work today.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By kncook:

I know the M72 LAW is insufficient on MBTs but 2.7k of them from one country would really beat up the BMPs, trucks, and Tigr-M stuff.

Would a M72 LAW defeat an MRAP type vehicle?
View Quote

MRAP? Generally yes. The uparmored MRAPs with ceramic and ERA blocks? Probably not. But those aren’t common worldwide.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

There is a difference between Ukrainian soldiers hog tying and ass raping Russian soldiers, and pissed off civilians hog tying and ass raping Russian soldiers.
I agree neither should be done, and it's bad optics. But in terms of "war crimes"...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

Not sure, just answered the question I saw. If anyone lies and says they are going in as press but intended to go and fight there will be charges when they get back. ITAR is nothing to fuck with.
View Quote

Legally true but if you don’t get caught by customs and you keep your mouth shut I’m guessing nothing ever comes of it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
Is it just me, but does every Chechen soldier in the recent videos give the impression of being a massive douchebag?
View Quote

Chechen are massive douchebags.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:

Me too, they are advancing, but taking such heavy losses is not going to last forever. Might be the USA's tactic to bleed Russia dry to discourage taking other nato states.

It's fucking insane what we are seeing, the Russian tactics are so stupid and their logistics are so fucked up I have a hard time thinking they accepted and planned for these losses. I don't believe they are that retarded, but maybe the soviet mindset of expendability is still there.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:
Originally Posted By maddmatt:

That was my theory. They were originally going to use Ukraine as a jumping point for some smaller NATO countries and figured on a bigger fight. Since they knew everything would be watched closely, they didn't want to let folks start working on countermeasures until the last moment. Now? I don't have an idea on what the fuck they are doing.

Me too, they are advancing, but taking such heavy losses is not going to last forever. Might be the USA's tactic to bleed Russia dry to discourage taking other nato states.

It's fucking insane what we are seeing, the Russian tactics are so stupid and their logistics are so fucked up I have a hard time thinking they accepted and planned for these losses. I don't believe they are that retarded, but maybe the soviet mindset of expendability is still there.

I've been out of this thread since Friday, and I'm sure I've missed some good stuff, but I've been following other sources the entire time.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is that Russia made the fairly big assumption that they wouldn't get much resistance, and they apparently bet the farm on that assumption.

Before the war, one could imagine a scenario where Russia could hit key objectives with airborne troops, thunder run in on the ground with enough supplies to last a few days, then replenish when the Ukrainian government rolls over. That's obviously not what happened.

Russia is now in a no-win scenario. We're talking about a country that HAD (past tense lol) the GDP of Italy, and they're trying to invade and occupy a large, fairly modernized nation with fierce resolve, their own troops have little to no will to fight, they've over-extended their own logistics, and the nation they're invading is receiving huge shipments of advanced weaponry. We've seen other examples of insurgencies and resistance forces backed by foreign aid before, but absolutely nothing on this scale.

The US Army (well trained, well equipped, great logistics) fighting against Jaish al Mahdi, Asa'ib Ahl al-Haq, and Kata'ib Hezbollah (poorly trained, iffy equipment) supplied by Iran (EFPs, 107mm rockets, small arms, etc) was playing the game on easy mode compared to what Russia is facing now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Hking:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:31:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IPv6] [#24]

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Truly ponderous that they have made next to no use of their air force, which has allowed UKR to continue to fly those drones that wiped out several columns.

Russia has a huge air force but it's mostly just sitting on the ground. Why they haven't used it is unclear.
View Quote

Kaminski drank the brakes!

Russian corruptness and ineptitude, Russian Air Force probably isn’t flying because it can’t. What a bunch of fuckin’ losers. ( Thankfully)
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Pray for cossackgundi

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Sure, if you fly one. What you would expect is a wave. The cruise missiles took out a lot of radar. Then fly a huge wave and destroy anything that fires AA.

Some planes would be lost, but fairly quickly there would be nothing shooting back.

But that never happened and I don't understand why not.
View Quote

You’re assuming Russia has the technical ability to do SEAD in detail.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Yes, a pattern indeed. First ounce of truth I've ever hear out of that bitch's mouth.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#29]

*wombat toe jam on toast from the Pfailed Pfizer Pfropaganda team deleted*
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:
Originally Posted By Spade:

I think they thought it would be over too fast for reactions and that the world wouldn't care.

I mean, czechslovakia, Hungary, etc

Truly ponderous that they have made next to no use of their air force, which has allowed UKR to continue to fly those drones that wiped out several columns.

Russia has a huge air force but it's mostly just sitting on the ground. Why they haven't used it is unclear.

Too many ways to either eat a warhead or get shot down.

*wombat toe jam on toast from the Pfailed Pfizer Pfropaganda team deleted*

Wow, the PPP doesn't understand something, how could that be?

Mobile SAM and AA systems didn't get hit for the most part by the Russian early salvos of missiles. Obviously, neither did the man-portable systems. Further, it is very likely that NATO intel from AWACS or other airborne assets in Poland are being provided to the Ukranians and the Russians have no or limited ISR assets. If you don't know whether you're going to be eating a warhead and you don't really have a good mission to go perform, you stay on the ground.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Send them west as refugees and make the west deal with them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#32]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FM19Rj-XwAUDg3T?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

That is powerful.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

I've been out of this thread since Friday, and I'm sure I've missed some good stuff, but I've been following other sources the entire time.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is that Russia made the fairly big assumption that they wouldn't get much resistance, and they apparently bet the farm on that assumption.

Before the war, one could imagine a scenario where Russia could hit key objectives with airborne troops, thunder run in on the ground with enough supplies to last a few days, then replenish when the Ukrainian government rolls over. That's obviously not what happened.

Russia is now in a no-win scenario. We're talking about a country that HAD (past tense lol) the GDP of Italy, and they're trying to invade and occupy a large, fairly modernized nation with fierce resolve, their own troops have little to no will to fight, they've over-extended their own logistics, and the nation they're invading is receiving huge shipments of advanced weaponry. We've seen other examples of insurgencies and resistance forces backed by foreign aid before, but absolutely nothing on this scale.

The US Army (well trained, well equipped, great logistics) fighting against Jaish al Mahdi, Asa'ib Ahl al-Haq, and Kata'ib Hezbollah (poorly trained, iffy equipment) supplied by Iran (EFPs, 107mm rockets, small arms, etc) was playing the game on easy mode compared to what Russia is facing now.
View Quote
In a word, yes. In a few weeks the absolute worst job on the planet is going to be a Russian T-72 crewman in Kiev.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: martin248] [#34]

Someone touched on this last week. I heard Russian pilots don't get many actual flight training hours, probably because the Russian gov can't afford to pay for the fuel, aircraft maintenance or pilot salaries.  Then you have to consider all the air defence weapons that have been sent in to Ukraine; Russia can't afford to lose planes.

View All Quotes

Of course, but this is at some level a technical thread.

What is the reason Russia hasn't used its air power? In theory it should have flown an overwhelming number of SU's over Ukraine after the initial cruise missile strike against airfields and AA, like every other invasion in recent times.

But that didn't happen. They flew only limited sorties. That left the skies contested, and it's the reason those drones are still flying as well.

They have suffered huge losses as a result and STILL no wave of SU's. They are all sitting on the ground in Russia.

Why?

I think the question I have is, is this a failure of the Russian army, some gross incompetence? Or is this a technology change in the nature of warfare?

If the Russian equipment just doesn't work, or the pilots are just incompetent, they should have known that when they did all those training exercises in the weeks leading up to the invasion. It's severe incompetence on many levels if they didn't know they weren't ready, or invaded even though they knew they weren't ready.

Or it could be a change in the nature of war, in which case this war has two lessons:

#1 Tanks are no longer relevant, and
#2 Fighters are no longer relevant

Because both can be destroyed be cheap man portable devices carried by infantry or by drones.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Could it be some kind of booster? Seems way too light to have a warhead.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MBUZICHOMA:

I know it has be said to be given to Ukraine but is it really crossing the border at this time?  Go in by truck? It's not going in by aircraft.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:
Originally Posted By BigB32:
Originally Posted By Action45:

Cannot confirm, but being reported. Fingers crossed
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108967/73BD88D8-C814-4333-975F-6BD2338D8C72_jpe-2298591.JPG

Why would they say this? Doesn't make sense

I read into the entire story on this.  It said the Ukranian pilots were going to be there for at least 2 weeks training. The Polish upgraded the electronics on them and need to teach the pilots the new systems.

I don't know, but personally I doubt they will go back to Ukraine. Flying into Ukraine from a Nato country would be seen as an act of war against Russia. I might be wrong though

If they are Ukrainian aircraft, it wouldn't matter if they were flying in from Poland or some non-NATO country, it's their aircraft at that point. Besides, we're already giving Ukraine shitloads of weaponry and equipment.

I know it has be said to be given to Ukraine but is it really crossing the border at this time?  Go in by truck? It's not going in by aircraft.

My understanding is that most all the weaponry and equipment is going across the border in trucks. There were some airlifts prior to the invasion and possibly early on. Haven't seen any reports of airlifts for the past 3-4 days (not that it would be publicized anyway).
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Consequences of the 7th day of Russia’s invasion and uniting the world for the sake of Ukraine
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#38]
??????? ???????? ?????? ?????????

?????????? ???????? ???? ?????????))

John Deere(Ukraine) & ??? ???-?2(russia).

?? ???????? ?????????? ? ??????????

???????? ?????, ???????? ??????
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 74HC:

I thought that Poland refusal at first was hardball negotiation.  I'm sure they wanted someone to replace those donated MIGs with updated fighters.  If this is true, then somebody did because there would be no way a country who's next on Putin's WARSAW appetite would give up fighters.

It's either Germany, UK, or USA that behind it doing the updating for Poland.  I suspect it's the USA because Poland wants F-35s more than ever.  So does everyone else. Putin's invasion is probably the best salesman for Lockheed Martin.  Would love to see their book to bill ratio are like in these next couple of weeks.
View Quote
Poland just signed a $6 billion for M1A2s last week.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Needs more sticky bomb.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

View Quote

I agree with everything you have said, but what I cant understand is why they havent adapted to the fight. Incompetance, pride, or part of the plan? Whatever it is, its stupid and costly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Jesus christ.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Love that reply...

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

110 ruble is a fiction, you can't buy it under 150

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
Sitting captured Russians next to a Great Patriotic War memorial and explaining to them that they are the Nazis since they didn’t learn history in school.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/CBACF015-253B-4CB2-9EE5-EFF0824E60CD_jpe-2298475.JPG
View Quote

Priceless.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Burnsy87:

Jesus christ.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Burnsy87:

Jesus christ.

A pox on that administration, and anyone who voted for them ... retards everyone

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By sergtjim:

For those not familiar with hand grenades here's a picture of an m-67 showing the pin and spoon.
Pull the pin, spoon flys off
5 seconds later BOOM.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/264818/Grenade_M-67_jpg-2298597.JPG
View Quote
Kinda hard to put the pin back in when you have one in each hand.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#49]

I think the question I have is, is this a failure of the Russian army, some gross incompetence? Or is this a technology change in the nature of warfare?

If the Russian equipment just doesn't work, or the pilots are just incompetent, they should have known that when they did all those training exercises in the weeks leading up to the invasion. It's severe incompetence on many levels if they didn't know they weren't ready, or invaded even though they knew they weren't ready.

Or it could be a change in the nature of war, in which car this war has two lessons:

#1 Tanks are no longer relevant, and
#2 Fighters are no longer relevant

Because both can be destroyed be cheap man portable devices carried by infantry or by drones.
View Quote

Tanks are less relevant.  Fighters are still relevant, especially when you have more than a handful and can perform maintenance. Poorly trained fighters without air superiority is what Russia has now.  They can't afford to risk there handful of their best jets and pilots over contested air.

If this was a western national conducting the same war, all AA and SAM sites would be toast already.  The lack of ability to evade these sites with either stealth, or probably more relevant real time data and intelligence is the Achilles heel for Russia.  Add in the fact the Ukraine is surely getting real time updates from friendly assets.  Ukraine knows anytime a missle/rocket get launched and when a Russian fighter/bomber is airborn. Russia also lacks smart bombs in any numbers and can't afford to replace what they do have. They are saving their few working good assets for defense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Ukrainian Regiment "Azov" leads artillery from a drone in the village of Stary Krym near Mariupol

????-????? ?????????. ??????? "? ????"
Page / 5590
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 683 of 5590)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top