BCM
User Panel

Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aswrg7:

On a related topic, I was surprised to see F-15Cs being sent over there.  The MO Air National Guard had an F-15C fail and crash about 15 years ago (the pilot got away with a broken arm).
View Quote

Did you expect 1 crash to take the type out of service?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:19:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ruin] [#2]
Originally Posted By evo7011:

I agree 100%. Cut the budget by 50% and pull back our troops.

Current defense budget is $770bn, that's way too much.

View Quote

Ok. What’s a more appropriate number for a defense budget?

Also, I ask that you please show your work. I want to make sure everyone knows you’re speaking from a position of authority.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:25:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wjwill] [#3]

On a related topic, I was surprised to see F-15Cs being sent over there.  The MO Air National Guard had an F-15C fail and crash about 15 years ago (the pilot got away with a broken arm).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

I am happy we are sending hardware to the region that can kick some ass if it comes to that instead of a bunch of clapped out F-15C models that should be in the damn boneyard. We already have thousands of folks committed in the region. If we are committed, then we need to send our most capable equipment. This is the first sign our leadership is finally willing to do this. Doing less is how you get people killed.

Still to this day, the F15C is an extremely capable fighter for air to air combat. I would put it up against the best that Russia has to offer in the air. Has anyone here actually seen an SU57 manuver with a weapons loadout? Sure, it looks like a bad ass bird visually and on paper, but the F15C pound for pound would kill it. And as for the F22 facing off with a SU57,, it wouldn't even be considered a training flight.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
View Quote

Check out the spiked mace that dude has displayed in the background. That's hard core.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]

hmmm is Ukraine a NATO member?

Have you been to war?
View Quote

Have you read any books or watched any documentaries on the Revolutionary War?

If so, why? There's no way anyone who authored or produced them actually participated directly in it so, by your logic, no way they could speak with any authority on the matter.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
At this point wake me up when something happens.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ruin:

Also, I ask that you please show your work. I want to make sure everyone knows you’re speaking from a position of authority.
View All Quotes

I agree 100%. Cut the budget by 50% and pull back our troops.

Current defense budget is $770bn, that's way too much.

But he's been to war!!!  So his opinion is all that matters and besides, strategery was his specialty in Kosovo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Position of authority, I'm just a random guy on the internet, and my background matters little in the conversation.

I have no idea what an appropriate number should be, but it shouldn't increase every year. Certainly, in 2022 we can do more with less given technological advances.

Defense budget was signed last year, and last I checked, the budget has increased every single year. Of course I could double check that, but I don't think that I'm wrong.

https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/us-congress-passes-roughly-770-bn-defense-spending-bill-for-fy2022-121121600071_1.html

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

If so, why? There's no way anyone who authored or produced them actually participated directly in it so, by your logic, no way they could speak with any authority on the matter.
View Quote

You're absolutely right, I agree. However, one should never desire for war, it should only be used as a last resort.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mnd6563:

But he's been to war!!!  So his opinion is all that matters and besides, strategery was his specialty in Kosovo.
View Quote

Bro, I've been to other places besides Kosovo.

My opinion matters just the same as yours and everyone else in this thread.

Whatever I did many years ago, matters very little right now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Hold on there a minute partner. We aren't talking about Ukraine. We're talking about Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, and Bulgaria. They are indeed NATO members. In the post you quoted me on, you specifically said if it didn't involve U.S. territory specifically, then you didn't think we should be involved. That means you don't think we should do our part to defend NATO member nations. That is the part I have a major problem with. I don't think we should go to war over Ukraine either. But I do believe in our country doing its part to uphold its commitments. And I loathe any nation who doesn't.

And to answer your question, no, I have never been to war. But in regards to this discussion, I don't think that matters one way or another. Even if someone had served in every war from WWII to present and wore 4 stars on their collar, they would still be wrong if they were unwilling to uphold our end of the bargain as being a NATO member. Of course we should help defend eastern European NATO member states. I'd argue they are more worthy of and deserving of our support than many of the long time western European NATO members. At least they are making an effort to hold up their end of the deal and meeting spending goals, all while being much poorer than western Europe. If we are unwilling to do our part, then we should leave NATO entirely. But if we are to remain, we have to take a leading role being the most powerful NATO member nation. We would be absolute dogshit as a nation to not do so.
View Quote

Russia isn't attacking those NATO members.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FrankyRay:

Check out the spiked mace that dude has displayed in the background. That's hard core.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/546602/RebelRussCdr_01_jpg-2283420.JPG
View All Quotes

And ICONs
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#13]

You're absolutely right, I agree. However, one should never desire for war, it should only be used as a last resort.
View All Quotes

Better tell that to Putin.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

And why do you suppose that is?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

The obvious answer is Putin might be afraid of retaliation, but I don't really know.

All we can do is watch and wait.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 07Commander:

“We aren’t going to ‘invade-invade’. We’re just going to invade.”
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Greyswandir:
This is an interesting perspective.

Oh geez. Leave it to a lawyer.” It depends on what the definition of invade is”

Just the tip...pinky promise
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#17]

The obvious answer is Putin might be afraid of retaliation, but I don't really know.

View All Quotes

Yes, he might be afraid of retaliation. And specifically, he would be afraid of the US, since we are militarily the strongest NATO member.

You may have read my posts and somehow been misled into thinking I have some sort of a bloodlust for war with Russia. I don't. That is why it makes me excited to see us bolstering our defenses in Europe. If we put forth a weak response to Russia invading Ukraine, that could embolden them to try a NATO member nation next, maybe a small one or a group of small ones, such as Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania. A weak response would be sitting back and doing nothing militarily in response to an invasion of Ukraine. But if our reply to such an invasion is to send adequate forces and equipment to those vulnerable NATO nations, then they won't try it because they know we mean business.

I believe the best way to avoid war is to make sure any potential opponent doesn't ever get up the nerve to challenge us. We do that by confronting them with a military force so powerful and strong that no sane son-of-a-bitch would ever think it possible to go into battle against us and prevail. Presenting weakness has the exact opposite effect and history has proven this, time after time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

It’s exactly why he isn’t threatening military action against any NATO countries. He knows if he did the risk for a major escalation (and Russia most likely getting their ass kicked conventionally) or a nuclear exchange is way to great.

Ukraine wouldn’t be in this position if they were a member of NATO, or even if the US had sent a bunch of troops there and vowed to defend them. I’m not saying that would be right for the US to do, or if Ukraine should be a member of NATO, just that the risk would be too great or much greater to Russia if so.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

Did you expect 1 crash to take the type out of service?
View Quote

I thought they were barely serviceable for the NG 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:29:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 07Commander] [#20]
I’ve spent my entire 51+ years hearing about Russia, Russia, Russia, Russia, Russia. If it weren’t for the US military, Russia would own all of Europe and most of Asia. And we haven’t gone to war with them to stop them, it has simply been our presence that has stopped them. Some are saying that Russia isn’t attacking a nato country so why should we care? No, they aren’t yet but they damned sure would if we weren’t around. You may think this isn’t our problem or it’s not in our back yard. Think again. It is very much our problem. It is every country’s problem. And it is in our back yard. With modern technology the entire world is our back yard. If their missiles can reach us, their planes can reach us, and their ships can reach us, then they are in our back yard. Stop them now or sit back on the recliner and watch college basketball, eating Doritos and drinking Miller Lite, and then have to deal with them later. But the more they’re allowed to get away with, the stronger they become.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:33:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trapsh00ter99] [#21]

View Quote
That's a bulava. A traditional Ukrainian beating stick.

Edit: of course being a rebel commander they may call it something else in Russian.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Drakich:

National Review thinks the game is this:  Ukraine wants political independence from Russia and is willing to lose territory - and the Russian loyalists as part of the bargain.  Russia wants an intact Ukraine because the Russian population will keep Ukraine politically divided and thus subservient to Russia and not the West.

Thus if  Russia invades it won’t be to annex part it all of Ukraine it will be for regime change and to get Ukraine back to implementing the Minsk agreement.
View Quote

Minsk II is a pile of dog shit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
That's a bulava. A traditional Ukrainian beating stick.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184365/image-2283483.jpg
View Quote

How can I acquire one of these instruments of mayhem?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:

And ICONs
View Quote

My Dad snuck some of those outta Moscow back in the 1990s.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

I rotated through Bondsteel off and on ~ 99-00 and the threats of war smells like the same bullshit that kicked off Task Force Hawk.
View Quote

We were one of the first units on the ground at Tirana. We relieved the small ALCE out of Germany. Then proceeded to bring in all the Army shit, intermingled with humanitarian stuff, and pallets of Pepsi one LOL. Couldn't give that shit away after about two weeks. Non-stop airlift for 30 days straight.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: motown_steve] [#26]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I am at once disgusted, and aroused.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#27]
A shillelagh is a pretty imposing piece of fighting bad-assery as well, and more westernized.

Mhhhhhmmmm. I reckon I hit im upside the head two good whacks wid it. Kilt him. Mmmmm hmmm.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By motown_steve:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50575/FL04PYRWUAQPNqS_jpeg-2283491.JPG

View All Quotes

Is stronk, like ox!

A much better looking Soviet newscaster!

Makes me want to fire up the old OG Xbox.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

What's that saying... "Violence is rarely the answer, but when it is... it's the only answer."

The history of humanity is a history of war. I don't see anything in human nature that will change that anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:01:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Charging_Handle] [#33]
Isn't it funny how Russia has their neighbor surrounded on three sides with 150,000 troops, numerous fighter jets, tanks, artillery pieces (both tube and rocket) and SRBMs, yet they seem surprised when others think they just might have intentions of invading Ukraine? Russians are a strange people.

ETA: After a few hours of quiet, the EAM's have resumed yet again. Whoever they have on the radio now is female and seems to be a better speaker than the guy who was on the mic all afternoon. I'm not sure what station name she is using. It sounds like she's saying "Describe", but it could be disguise or something else. I notice these stations tend to use names that aren't extremely clear or common.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

View Quote

but will he shit himself and then go for ice cream?
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#35]

We can't reconstitute USAREUR without a Slavic bogeyman.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
I see you are one that has failed to learn anything from history.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Isn't it funny how Russia has their neighbor surrounded on three sides with 150,000 troops, numerous fighter jets, tanks, artillery pieces (both tube and rocket) and SRBMs, yet they seem surprised when others think they just might have intentions of invading Ukraine? Russians are a strange people.
View Quote

Meanwhile in Taiwan...
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Is stronk, like ox!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Xc-dMC26U

View All Quotes

Is stronk, like ox!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Xc-dMC26U

"AMERIKA.....IS A WHOREHOUSE!"
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:07:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#39]

View Quote

His dispositions are clear - he isn't going to attack NATO or more specifically a NATO country.    

Also, its clear the weather is far from optimal for a massed attack on the Ukraine - the temperatures are above average along key axis and have been hovering between 0 to 7 degrees celsius in areas where it matters.  

Moreover, it doesn't look like they are set for a direct drive to KYIV - there are three well established axis for this and to do it "safely" e.g. limited exposure of flanks etc.  You don't need to execute all three simultaneously but you do have to execute two as a minimum.  

The fact of the matter is that wouldn't be the best move.  The best move would be to attempt the destruction of Ukrainian forces east of the Dneiper with Kyiv as a secondary or even tertiary objective.  In this regard, the safest place for the main mass of Ukrainian forces is to the west of the Dneiper - Ukrainian forces are less likely to be flanked and more likely to retain some level of decisive force capability plus they are behind a significant natural barrier. Equally, the Russian forces options are decreased and their logistics lines are stretched and more vulnerable.  

Anyhow, none of this is material as its unlikely a massed attack is going to take place (at least during this rapidly ending winter) or rather the chances are rapidly diminishing and that assumes the Russians were going to attack in the first place  (I have always felt this was unlikely).  

This has always been about diplomacy and the airing of grievances by all parties whilst at the same time being taken seriously.  

Again the Biden administration needs to be careful, the statement made by Blinken yesterday read like a prologue from a Tom Clancy novel, not the measured words of a seasoned diplomat.  The State Dept. and Intelligence services couldn't predict what would happen in AFG even tho they had thousands of people there - they have no credibility.  They have to work to build that credibility back up - build trust in their collective judgement.  Calm minds and steady hands need to prevail.  

The breathless reporting from OSINT types and the media doesn't help - basically very naive, in some cases puerile and only adds fuel to the fire for no gain or change of circumstances.  

"I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell."

Remarkably, I arrived at the same conclusion as the former head of MI6 and largely for the same reasons.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Bunn19:

It’s not part of the US, but it’s better to project strength to prevent conflict than project weakness.

By your mindset, why waste the money on our large military to begin with?  No one has directly threatened to attack the US since what, 1812?

Why not scale back everything but our nukes and a large enough air and ground force to protect our homeland and save the money and trouble?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bunn19:

Dick Cheney, is that you?

Since when is Eastern Europe part of the US? Oh its not, then I give fuckall about. Wake me up when Russia is attacking a US State or Territory, until then, I could care less what Putin does. If he wants to expand the Empire, that is not our problem. If he wants to cut of NG to Europe, oh well. Europe needs to take care of their own backyard problems, and clap cheeks if need be.

It’s not part of the US, but it’s better to project strength to prevent conflict than project weakness.

By your mindset, why waste the money on our large military to begin with?  No one has directly threatened to attack the US since what, 1812?

Why not scale back everything but our nukes and a large enough air and ground force to protect our homeland and save the money and trouble?

Most clueless and uneducated post so far this year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#41]
A shillelagh is a pretty imposing piece of fighting bad-assery as well, and more westernized.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-99kn4fj7jr/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/485/736/91PBSH_1__84515.1607300824.jpg?c=1

Mhhhhhmmmm. I reckon I hit im upside the head two good whacks wid it. Kilt him. Mmmmm hmmm.
View Quote

Being half Irish, this is the choice.  Got a nice, authentic shillelagh when I had a knee replacement last year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By New2AR15s:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By New2AR15s:
Originally Posted By Greyswandir:
This is an interesting perspective.

Oh geez. Leave it to a lawyer.” It depends on what the definition of invade is”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By rca2222:

The longer people feel that way, the longer the uncertainty and anticipation, the more likely they'll be willing to make concessions.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rca2222:
Originally Posted By CTAC:

Just going to sayno time like the present. Wish he'd just get it over with.  I'm sure much if Ukraine is thinking the same thing.  Constant "what ifs" can be as bad as the "what is" sometimes.

Edit-  quoted wrong post

The longer people feel that way, the longer the uncertainty and anticipation, the more likely they'll be willing to make concessions.

Well,  there is that. Very true
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

It’s on the fucking Russia Times no?
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:34:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#45]

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:

This is pretty much the same conclusion I have come to.  I still think smaller parts of Eastern Ukraine are in play and Putin would have a better chance of holding, but I just can't war game out a scenario where going for Kiev or all of Ukraine would make sense. Russia does not have the military might or economic power it did in the 60s and 70s. Putin has surely watched the US fuck up Iraq and Afghanistan and spend trillions. He most certainly knows of the USSR and Afghanistan in the 80s.  I just can't see him trying to take much of Ukraine knowing this. Then again,  it is 2022 and fucking nothing makes sense anymore.
View Quote

You underestimate Putin. Genocide creates more free housing for Russians.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#47]

ETA: After a few hours of quiet, the EAM's have resumed yet again. Whoever they have on the radio now is female and seems to be a better speaker than the guy who was on the mic all afternoon. I'm not sure what station name she is using. It sounds like she's saying "Describe", but it could be disguise or something else. I notice these stations tend to use names that aren't extremely clear or common.
View Quote

Its not clear if the Russians believe the crap the state owned media is putting out.  Its not like they get to elect their leaders either.  All the political opponents of Putin who would normally stand a chance end up in jail, exiled, or dead.  

It takes some major spin to put 150k troops on the border of Ukraine, a minor military power, and claim they are threatening Russia.  Putin is paranoid about NATO being close to its borders for reasons I don't understand.  NATO isn't a threat to Russia.  They are a nuclear power with a huge military.  Nobody is going to be invading Russia, 1941 style.  

It sounds like Putin has become irrational, like many dictators in power for many years.  He's probably surrounded by yes men and hardliners.  He's also afraid that if he doesn't pull off some kind of political win, one of his subordinates will retire him forcefully.  He doesn't want to die like other dictators who lose power and will do his best to protect himself, no matter what the cost.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Drakich:

National Review thinks the game is this:  Ukraine wants political independence from Russia and is willing to lose territory - and the Russian loyalists as part of the bargain.  Russia wants an intact Ukraine because the Russian population will keep Ukraine politically divided and thus subservient to Russia and not the West.

Thus if  Russia invades it won’t be to annex part it all of Ukraine it will be for regime change and to get Ukraine back to implementing the Minsk agreement.
View Quote

Capturing Ukraine will more than double the GDP of the new Russia if he takes it intact. That's if the Ukrainians don't scorch earth the country.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By DOW:

Sounds like you have a real hard on to get it on.
View Quote

Putin's the one with the hard-on that wants a war. Got no problem with serving up a double dose of what he wants to dish out.
Page / 5591
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top