Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 81
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got my invite today... signed up.  

50-150mb/s is better than the 14 i get today...
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

All I recall is the woman SpaceX person saying something about $80 a month...no one pays less than that.    That is wrong based upon input here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hdhogman:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanocallaghan/2020/10/27/spacex-reveals-monthly-cost-of-starlink-internet-in-its-better-than-nothing-betabut-is-it-too-expensive/?sh=2fc02c54a834

More expensive than the early reports when the program began.
Anyone remember what the early estimated monthly fee was?
I was thinking $20.00? I could be wrong.
It will be a Blessing for those who have no other options.

I'm paying $68.95 from Armstrong Cable, 170-15 speed, Mbps of course.

All I recall is the woman SpaceX person saying something about $80 a month...no one pays less than that.    That is wrong based upon input here.

I don't have a 'way back machine' but I swear when the program started that it was going to be CHEAP.
Again, not complaining and it will be a Blessing for those who have no hi-speed connection.
Maybe the 20 or less bucks was for a subsidized service in Timbuktu?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BeatsOfftoEVs] [#3]
Says I should get my equipment in 2-4 weeks...just got the offer today

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my order in today
Currently have 8mbps through centurylink. Which is apparently the fastest I can get in my neighborhood,  that's less than 3 miles from the center of a large city  
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compulynx] [#5]
Based upon a post here I just signed up for T-Mobile.

Here is a coverage map.

Free "router/gateway".

No installation fee.  No contract.

$50/months for about 50 Mbps.

I am currently paying $45/month for around 6 Mbps down via DSL with Centurylink.  

I don't know if it is 4G or 5G.  I don't really care.   50 Mbps will be awesome.
View Quote

There are some big issues with T-Mobile's home internet.  They use a weird NAT scheme that makes it almost impossible to use IPV4 equipment like DVR systems. I tried it and there is also no way to open up ports for things like Remote Desktop. The router has the settings, but they do nothing.  This was the old home router, and I am told their new 5G one does not even have the open port settings in it at all.

Been lots of issues with streaming also.

If all you wanna do is surf the internet, it may work fine for you.

I wound up returning mine after two days on the phone with support and getting nothing fixed. Even support said they knew there were issues.

I got around 12 MB if I had modem upstairs, but downstairs in closet, could only get 500k. That is another issue. No external antenna connector.

The thing that really pisses me off is that at the end of my driveway, literally across the 4 lane, there are two cable systems that dead end that have great internet. But since I am not in their coverage area (My electric company is different on my side of the highway), they want over $3000 dollars to run a line to me. If I were on the other side of the road, it would be free.

I am stuck with shitty AT&T 3mb DSL.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Got in today.  Man I hope this pans out.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:56:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackwind] [#7]
So, I didn't have high hopes but to state I am FED up with Frontier/Ziply Fiber would be a severe understatement. We live in "rural" Idaho and we both work from home. The wife has her router and phone line and I have mine. We pay a damn MINT for 35MB each. I paid less in Dallas for 1GB. Seriously. There are only two games in town CableOne or Ziply. We can ONLY get Ziply at our house and I check with CableOne every year. Both suck camel balls. We consistently bang out over 100MB with Starlink...with snowstorms. Had some serious snow build-up on the dish. Placed it in "Stow" mode, snow slid right off....re-synced with satellite. Done. Could NOT recommend more for people in the sticks.

EDIT:

Reading the posts here I have to laugh at the naysayers. Several proving they don't exactly understand how this actually works. By the way, the table setup here was to determine how far above our roof eave the dish would need to be for clearance etc. We have a two story house and the dish sits 2 ft above the roofline. Nay say all you would like, we love Starlink and it works.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]

With Starlink and Starship development going on right now their burn rate has to be hideous
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:We consistently bang out over 100MB with Starlink...with snowstorms. Had some serious snow build-up on the dish. Placed it in "Stow" mode, snow slid right off....re-synced with satellite. Done. Could NOT recommend more for people in the sticks.
View Quote

I'm glad it's working out for you.  I can't wait to get my hardware.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I am in as of this morning. Very hopeful it will outperform Viasat. Viasat really sucks and is about $100 more per month for the best plan.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Signed up!

From the Terms of Service:

For Services provided on Mars, or in transit to Mars via Starship or other spacecraft, the parties recognize Mars as a free planet and that no Earth-based government has authority or sovereignty over Martian activities. Accordingly, Disputes will be settled through self-governing principles, established in good faith, at the time of Martian settlement.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:02:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rbarry3715] [#13]
Dupe...
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Received my invite last night.  Purchased within 5 minutes of getting the email.  

Compared to the 4-6 Mbps I currently get (for $99/mo) from my WISP, this will be amazing.  No more losing service in the spring when the trees leaf out, or in the rain, or when the neighbors lose power (our WISP service fed from a repeater on the roof of their garage).  Wife will be able to work from home, I'll be able to do my online classes without having to go somewhere else for reliable connection, etc.  We'll be going from horse drawn carriages to a C8 Vette.  I'm super excited.

I've dumped about $700 into equipment for an LTE solution over the past 6 months, as I didn't think StarLink would be hitting us for another couple of years.  Looks like I was wrong on that one.  Considered selling the LTE gear, but for the $20/mo it'll cost I think I'll go ahead and hook it up and keep it as a backup.  With the StarLink taking most of the load, I shouldn't have to worry about putting a target on my back with the LTE usage/throughput.  I noticed the StarLink fine print that "may experience outages", so maybe I'll figure out how to get a rollover setup for the StarLink outages.  

I'm super excited.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By hdhogman:

I don't have a 'way back machine' but I swear when the program started that it was going to be CHEAP.
Again, not complaining and it will be a Blessing for those who have no hi-speed connection.
Maybe the 20 or less bucks was for a subsidized service in Timbuktu?
View Quote

We've been paying $99/mo for a few years now, for a claimed 10Mbps (reality, 4-6 Mbps) connection through a local WISP.

StarLink is the same price.  To say we're ecstatic is an understatement.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#16]
This is such a huge deal for rural America, I really hope it succeeds.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:51:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#17]
Attachment Attached File

I am paying the same monthly for cable internet with 100/5 and unlimited data.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#18]

What latitude?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:54:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#19]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

What latitude?
View All Quotes

What latitude?

Toledo Area
general coords: 41.547539, -84.511082
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:

Toledo Area
View Quote

Figured it had to be northern OH.  I'm not too far south of you.  Around 40.45 N in Indiana.  Hopefully it won't be too long
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Figured it had to be northern OH.  I'm not too far south of you.  Around 40.45 N in Indiana.  Hopefully it won't be too long
View Quote
I'm at 40.27 and was able to order yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MikeEIB:
View Quote

Preorder or actually order and get the equipment shipped now?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I got my order in this morning

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Toledo Area
View All Quotes

What latitude?

Toledo Area
WTF? I'm at 44.5 and could only pre-order. It said they should start servicing my area later this year.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I hope the service is more reliable than their emails.

I got an email from them in November confirming service was available in my area and to reenter my address to confirm... I haven't gotten a single email since, not even telling me pre-orders were live.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Actual order with shipping in 2-4 weeks.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm at 38.00 and got the "coverage is available in your area" email last night.  Ordered about 5 minutes later.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Musk is a visionary.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
I'm at 38.00 and got the "coverage is available in your area" email last night.  Ordered about 5 minutes later.
View Quote

Cool.  I preordered yesterday.  I'm at 39.00 degrees and will hopefully get the same email soon.

The local ISP has been promising fiber out here for years.  Crickets.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#30]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50102/26A1461F-7E38-4D1A-96AB-532362410A7F_jpe-1817535.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50102/26A1461F-7E38-4D1A-96AB-532362410A7F_jpe-1817535.JPG

Jelly
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
pre order in, cant wait
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#32]
My friend has been part of the beta for a couple months, they like it. I think it’s 90$ a month for a solid 100+ mb download speed in the middle of nowhere.

Hoping they will offer it down here in Texas eventually
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#33]
but for the $20/mo it'll cost I think I'll go ahead and hook it up and keep it as a backup.  With the StarLink taking most of the load, I shouldn't have to worry about putting a target on my back with the LTE usage/throughput.  I noticed the StarLink fine print that "may experience outages", so maybe I'll figure out how to get a rollover setup for the StarLink outages.  
View Quote

That is exactly what I would do if I were in your shoes.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Pre ordered.  Says mid to late this year.  Anyone want a 40' radio tower?  Goodbye local wisp!
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm at 39.9 lat. Only able to pre-order. If its based on that?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chubrocker] [#37]
I'm at 41.36 Iowa and ordered last night...
ETA - delivered in 2-4 weeks, not pre-order

Starlink is now available in limited supply in your service area.

During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically. For latency, we expect to achieve 16ms to 19ms by summer 2021.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm happy that ya'll are getting hooked up!
22 years ago when I went from dial up to cable at 10 mega boppers, WOW!----170 and 15 now., Mbps.
Dial up, I'd start my PC, login,  get my coffee maker going, and Hopefully I'd be connected in time to check a few things before leaving for work.
Took 3 days to download a trial version of Norton Anti Virus, 600 MB.
I sent in a request just to support SpaceX but I'm doing well with my existing provider.
I really hope that it works out long term.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I preordered it, but it kind of sucks because everyone around me has it already or it's on the way. I must smell funny or something because I'm not sure when I'll get mine, and we need it bad for work.

I'm getting 3.3 down right now and it sucks so bad.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:
but for the $20/mo it'll cost I think I'll go ahead and hook it up and keep it as a backup.  With the StarLink taking most of the load, I shouldn't have to worry about putting a target on my back with the LTE usage/throughput.  I noticed the StarLink fine print that "may experience outages", so maybe I'll figure out how to get a rollover setup for the StarLink outages.  

Indeed.

Asus makes a router that will aggregate two WAN inputs.  I think it's their most expensive gaming router.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Holy. Fuck.

I will throw every liquid dollar I have at it.
It will be THE worldwide internet provider.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:33:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atomic_Ferret] [#43]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327887/brave_vkrO8jyNB5_jpg-1817448.JPG

View Quote

I hope the service address thing isn't GPS linked and will kill service if it moves.

There are a lot of boat, RV, off grid and traveler types that are probably chomping at the bit to have this as an option.

ETA: I wonder if in motion service is technically possible?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#44]
How is FJB’s new EO going to fuck up their sat deployment plans?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
If you already have cable or fiber, this wouldn't be for you. Many in America, can't get anything better than cellular, DSL if they are lucky and neither is going to provide the bandwidth coming anywhere near "high speed internet." Even in "town" here in Idaho, you're LUCKY if you can acquire 100MB via cable or fiber. We have been here since 2016 and have fought tooth and nail to acquire 65MB and we pay a mint for that privilege. Starlink drastically changes all of that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
If you already have cable or fiber, this wouldn't be for you.
View Quote

I'm really hoping that starlink doesn't look at the fcc's fantasy broadband maps deciding who to give service to. According to that map I can get 300meg cable but in reality I can't getting anything faster than dialup.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

I'm really hoping that starlink doesn't look at the fcc's fantasy broadband maps deciding who to give service to. According to that map I can get 300meg cable but in reality I can't getting anything faster than dialup.
View Quote
Its a good "question" and frankly I have no idea what they are using for secret sauce in making those determinations but we are beyond ecstatic we were in a coverage area because our options are extremely limited no matter what any so called "map" says we have available. For example, if you visited Frontier or Ziply prior, it clearly states we have access to 100MB. The BEST we had in 2016 was 10MB.....that was it. CONSTANT issues. Down at least a week at time at least once a month. Two years later I was "upgraded" to "20MB" via bonded pair. Fortunately, we bought a different house "closer" to town and still 8 miles outside anything available "in town."

Again, issues. We confirmed the previous owners had internet. Moved in, Frontier said they didn't service our address. We literally can see the DEMARC from our kitchen window, not even 200 yards away. LOL To say I raised holy hell? Yea, I ended up on the phone with an exec out of Seattle.....they installed two routers the next week. Four years of this nonsense.....I about kiss the damn Starlink router every time I see it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Just ordered, i already have sat net, hopefully this is less per month with better data packages..I have no other option except dialup.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Ordered mine this morning, have Frontier now, Frontier can fuck off as soon as I get my Starlink dish, I don't care if it costs twice as much.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#50]
62.5 N for my cabin.  Too far north.
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top