BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL I have 3. And in no way am I a snowflake or hipster.  All 3 are Hanna hats, a Irish grey wool tweed, my dad's black wool, and a tan linen summer hat.   The wool hats to me were as much a part of dove hunting as my Browning.  My dad and I wore them to church but they come off at the door.

Unfortunately OP has a point, kind of like the cheap fedoras I see hippster azzhats wearing.  But you can tell they are wearing cheap knock offs.  A real Donegal Hanna hat start about $50 and goes up. Hippsters don't even have the sense to appreciate the quality of a good hat.  They just appropriate what they think is cool and ruin it.
View Quote
I have a Hanna hat also.  Donegal wool.  I like it a lot.  Been wearing it for years...before I knew what a hipster was.  It keeps my head warm.  I am far from hipster.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Wear whatever you want...this is America.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Everyone that I met that wears these hats were lazy self-centered snowflakes.
View Quote
yes
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you the same guy who was whining about people saying they hustle?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I like them and think I look good in them. Don't own any right now. For non baseball cap wearing things, my wife much prefers me in fedora like hats (it's not a fedora, but I dunno wtf it's called). I think they look terrible on me, but she likes it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Old guys can do it. Young guys look like they failed out of art school
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what are the acceptable hats
View Quote
It depends on who you are.

I'm 67 and wear a 2.5" brimmed fedora most of the time and it draws a lot of nice unsolicited comments.

Yet the same lid on a geeky hipster would look pretty stupid.

I have been told that I look good in '40s style clothing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife's ex husband wears those all the time. He is balding , but not a millennial.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am such an idiot!  

I'm over sixty, so I can pull it off.  As a bonus, the woman of the house hates it.
View Quote
I know how you feel.

WHat REALLY galls her is when we are walking along and someone out of the clear blue looks at me and says, "Nice hat."
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Agree with OP.

Pakul hat FTMFW.

Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#11]
That hat has European origins from military use by conscripted soldiers. Then it became more common civilian wear, and was highly popularized from Ireland thru Italy by the late 1800's.

I have ancestors on both sides. They came to America to escape repression and being forced to fight in the wars of princelings, to enjoy our freedoms. I wear that hat now as an expression my heritage - unlike the vast majority of citizens who wear a uniform cap invented for inner city sports exhibitions which idled the masses time away - the "baseball cap."

Baseball caps are the preferred wear of most people committing crimes against their neighbors in America today. So, that's good? Why the hell would I want to identify with them?

As for not being able to stare you in the eye - I could go on for days, but since when did this become a mandatory expression of worth among humans?

One of the more noted human responses of highly intelligent people is to avoid eye contact - you have to EARN it with a proven relationship that has no backstabbing or constant aggression to establish dominance. Why? Because that is how they test YOU to see if you are smart enough to recognize it, and respond in kind, parsing the meaning of the spoken word. Not posturing, chest thumping, and blading at 45 to establish rank.

Maybe you're doing it all wrong.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Those are the ugliest hats ever invented.

That is all.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That hat has European origins from military use by conscripted soldiers. Then it became more common civilian wear, and was highly popularized from Ireland thru Italy by the late 1800's.

I have ancestors on both sides. They came to America to escape repression and being forced to fight in the wars of princelings, to enjoy our freedoms. I wear that hat now as an expression my heritage - unlike the vast majority of citizens who wear a uniform cap invented for inner city sports exhibitions which idled the masses time away - the "baseball cap."

Baseball caps are the preferred wear of most people committing crimes against their neighbors in America today. So, that's good? Why the hell would I want to identify with them?

As for not being able to stare you in the eye - I could go on for days, but since when did this become a mandatory expression of worth among humans?

One of the more noted human responses of highly intelligent people is to avoid eye contact - you have to EARN it with a proven relationship that has no backstabbing or constant aggression to establish dominance. Why? Because that is how they test YOU to see if you are smart enough to recognize it, and respond in kind, parsing the meaning of the spoken word. Not posturing, chest thumping, and blading at 45 to establish rank.

Maybe you're doing it all wrong.
View Quote

Did you just copy and paste an article from Fedora'd Gentleman?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I have one my mom bought it for me when I bought a TR6. I don't wear it but I do like it, I think I'll wear it now :-)
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#15]
They pay you to judge.  Did he drive a british sportscar?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
While I generally wouldn't wear a cap to an interview,  judging someone based on their hat seems a little.... Well, fuck it, I'll allow it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

Going to buy one now and send to OP.

Quit bitching snowflake.
While I generally wouldn't wear a cap to an interview,  judging someone based on their hat seems a little.... Well, fuck it, I'll allow it.
I look at it as a being like a turn signal, except instead of indicating the direction they’re going to turn it indicates that they’re a douchebag. No different than flat billed ball caps and white framed Oakley’s. It says everything you need to know without a word spoken.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
what are the acceptable hats
View Quote
At a job interview.

None.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I only wear mine when I have a suit on... Gotta channel my inner Tommy Shelby sometimes...
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#20]
That's a shame, I wanted to get a cape.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#22]
How about guys that try to look hip, wearing their hat backwards?  
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here in Florida we can tell who the assholes from "upnorth" are when we see them wearing that kind of cap.
View Quote
I've seen more than a few Floridians with the mesh Kangol cap on their nasty heads.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Must be balding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He failed to remove the hat indoors?
Must be balding.
Or a cowboy.
My dad told me only cowboys wear their hats inside...
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#25]

I wear baseball caps often. Usually outdoors or on vacation.

Baseball caps and sunglasses help you look low key.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32554/1B045936-F560-44B4-A68C-DFFB8F81757F-862098.jpg

I wear baseball caps often. Usually outdoors or on vacation.

Baseball caps and sunglasses help you look low key like a tourist.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#27]
If he was wearing one of LaRues shrunken head ball caps would you have hired him?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've sent boys your age to the gas chamber Danny. Didn't want to do it. I felt like I owed it to them.

Judge Smails is my spirit animal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've sent boys your age to the gas chamber Danny. Didn't want to do it. I felt like I owed it to them.

Judge Smails is my spirit animal
Yes, There is a soft spot in my heart for him.  I felt sorry for him.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
For a job interview.

Could not even look me in the eye.

Writing the "sorry you are not a right fit" for my company now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For a job interview.

Writing the "sorry you are not a right fit" for my company now.
He should have removed it.  Covering one's head outside is appropriate, but inside take it off
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
please, I NEED to know what hats are ok to wear

is it OK to wear this?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4oQAAOxyYSdTCdr7/s-l500.jpg
View Quote
Sure, wear it for your next interview

Again wear any hat you want, just take it off when inside
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Flat caps are fine if you are also wearing Italian driving shoes and matching string back driving gloves.  Extra points if they can speak knowingly about the Mille Miglia.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Say that to a Peeky Blinder; I dare you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Those hats must have a nasty, greasy stench.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are in Greece and you are a fisherman, you're good.

Apparently you can get a waiver for use if you're a fat guy who writes overrated fantasy novels optioned by cable channels too
Those hats must have a nasty, greasy stench.
One spark and that fucker is fully involved and looking like a burning tire
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Only old people can really pull off this look.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#35]
That's a flat hat?  I thought it was that stupid fucking shitbird ball cap with the flat brim and sticker that assfucks wear down over their ears.

Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#36]
The hat in the OP used to be called a "touring cap", didn't it?  They've been around since Great Gatsby days, I think.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
*snip*

*snip*.
View Quote
LOL, I don't know about the rest of that shit, but pretending that one man shouldn't look another in the eye when conducting business, is some of the most fertile horse shit I've ever read on ARFCOM
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Everyone that I met that wears these hats were lazy self-centered snowflakes.
View Quote
Dad wore a hat like that every day.

He was 87 when He died.

Never ever wore it indoors though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The Peaky Fookin Blinders disagree.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#40]
I've always called them 'go-to-hell-caps' since that is what my father used to call them. Drove around in his 63' MG Midget with it on. And that was back in 63'!
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've always called them 'go-to-hell-caps' since that is what my father used to call them. Drove around in his 63' MG Midget with it on. And that was back in 63'!
View Quote
I thought those were bush covers!
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For a job interview.

Writing the “sorry you are not a right fit” for my company now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For a job interview.

Writing the “sorry you are not a right fit” for my company now.
It’s the soft skills that will kill most in this generation.

I see it everyday.

Parents think they come naturally and don’t bother to stress how important they are.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Holy shit, they date back to the 14th century!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_cap
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#44]
That douche looks like he should be shining shoes when Mickey Mantle was playing ball.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And yet, black guys can wear pretty much any type of hat/cap and still look infinitely cooler than a white guy
View Quote
They also look more cool with a bald head, and can rock some bright colors that I would receive some unflattering comments over.

I too thought this was a flat bill bro hat thread.

I am a millennial and I do own several flat caps. They don’t blow off your head as easily as a ball cap of any style bill while one is engaged in activities like driving a convertible at highway speeds or golfing in the wind. That said my mother raised me right and I don’t wear a hat indoors, and especially not during an interview (unless it happens to be outside on a golf course).

They are also nice shooting hats, lacking the freaking button that your ear muffs (and your buddies) drive into your skull.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#46]
My grandpa wore those hats and he was far from an idiot. Only losers care and bitch about what other people wear.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd never wear that hat.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#49]
My mother in law gave me a flat cap which i believe belonged to her father.

I always thought they were cool looking caps, unfortunately i look like a fool in them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@armoredman

OP doesn't pertain to you.

Because you're old.
View Quote

I guess half century is old now - I thought 50 was the new 30 or some crap like that?
In honesty, my Dad, God rest his soul, wore one of these often, and his hobby was the complete restoration of Model A and Model T cars and trucks to original, going so far as buying rusted bent frames and having them dipped and stretched. First vehicle I was behind the wheel of was a Model T rumbleseat. Only car of his I really wanted was his '33 Two Door Touring Coupe, but 'Ol Henry' went down the road before I reached driving years. I saw that hat at WalMart, (Yep, I'm People of WalMart now!), labeled "drivers hat", and away we went.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top