Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I don’t care. For the overwhelming majority it’s about their heritage of rebellion not about the hate. It wasn’t associated to hate until about the 1960s when the southern democrats resisted desegregation and the southern governors basically wanted to signal “we’ll do it again”.

I personally wish the south would have tried to secede for states rights over a different reason other than slavery. That being said: 98% of the confederate army never owned a slave and that flag was the flag of the army of northern Virginia which represented those 98% of the men fighting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For reference, I lived in GA for nearly a decade.

If I see it down south, I think nothing of it.  I saw enough black folk with it on their porch or Black Sons of the Confederacy doing demonstrations with it to know there is zero association to color for many.

If I see it up north, like here in PA, I assume you're white trash and moved here from NJ or NY.
View Quote

I still see them all over in the middle South PA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to drive by this every day for years and never thought anything about it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't care.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]
It’s sad that supposedly open-minded people cannot acknowledge the unpleasant aspects of what the flag represents historically, but equally acknowledge what it represents today has drastically changed. I was never a fan of The Dukes of Hazzard, but culturally, that goofy show pretty much trashed the purely racist legacy of the flag and instead promoted the spirit of independence and anti-authority freedom. Anyone with two brain cells to connect would find it impossible to show the Duke boys were racist.

Popular culture has utterly diluted the “evil” from the flag, retaining only the positive aspects, and this should be recognized as progress. Of course, you have your meth heads pretending to be skinheads and flying it with Nazi flags….but they are far and away the minority. And complete retards. Yet those who ironically call themselves “progressives” won’t have it. As always, like a drug addict, progressives need excuses to cover their constantly failing policies, and what a perfect excuse that flag is.

Edit: By “purely racist legacy”, I say meaning that’s how many have seen it as opposed to any cessation aspects…not helped by 50s-60s southern Democrats….
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used to drive by this every day for years and never thought anything about it.

http://content.wltx.com/photo/2015/06/22/635705934319411963-GettyImages-51964824_2679953_ver1.0.jpg
View Quote

The way things are going, we may be praying it flies in the top spot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Zero fucks but also zero fucks about anything else that doest directly have an effect on my life.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a South Carolina native.

When I was younger I was rather vocal about the heritage of the confederate flag.

Lately it has been such a hot button that I don't have the energy to bother explaining the history of the flag.  I don't care if people fly it, but when I drive past houses with multiple confederate flags, Gadsden flags, etc. I wonder if they are flying them for the history or for the "stick in your eye" effect.

TLDR; I don't care, but the stigma it carries is not worth the effort any longer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#10]
It doesn't bother me but most of the time when I see it now it's on some douchebags brodozer whose driving like a fucking assclown.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I feel great
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Confederate flag, the Bonnie Blue or the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia.

I like both of them and I am from the north.  

Both flags are history and should be flown proudly.  

Time to cancel the mental midget self loathing people that are offended by everything.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't care.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't bother me but usually a good sign theyre poor white trash.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#15]
It’s been vilified by the left. In a sense, the CF has been taken over by the left as a symbol of hate, hasn’t it. The gheys have taken over the rainbow as a symbol also haven’t they.

I discount the lefty agenda and have decided not to participate.  I have to get butthurt for them to matter, so i don’t.

Fly whatever floats your boat. I have other concerns.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't care.

However, the confederate flag did not gain popularity down here until the civil rights movement, so I do believe it's original popularity is rooted in racism. Growing up in the 80s, we just liked it for the "rebel" concept.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I assume low IQ.
View Quote

Reeeeeee!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#21]
It’s a rebel flag and that’s what I see it as.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I've always associated it with Southern pride.  Kinda thought it was cool...I admire rebel spirit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Confederate flag, the Bonnie Blue or the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia.

I like both of them and I am from the north.  

Both flags are history and should be flown proudly.  

Time to cancel the mental midget self loathing people that are offended by everything.
View Quote

Most folks think the Northern VA battle flag is the Confederate flag.  You could fly the other two flags and the idiots wouldn’t have a clue.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#24]
In the south, I don't feel anything particularly, generally just a Skynrd shirt or Dukes of Hazard car replica.

I remember driving past an old cemetery in TX and seeing a bunch on graves of Confederate veterans on Memorial day, while I disagree with their cause I believe they deserve that respect, like how there are WWI cemeteries in France where the German flag flies too. I had family on both sides, I'm even related to Jefferson Davis by marriage. I feel the immense tragedy related to the whole situation deeply.

Here in CO, it seems to be usually displayed in a different context, which is something most of my black friends agree with.

To me it is sad that what is an image of heritage and Southern pride is displayed around here as an image of hate targeted at black folks, likely by some fool who has never been to or lived in the south...

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When I'm in the South, or see a Confederate flag, or meet people from the South, it makes me wish I was a Southerner. But I'm from the north....and it sucks.
View Quote

American by birth, southern by the grace of God.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#26]
To me-

It's about having the balls to buck the authorities when the authorities don't have your best interest at heart.

Hmmmmm.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#27]
FPNI

People care about too much that doesn’t affect their lives. Who gives a shit, it’s a free country!
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't care.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I giggle thinking how many woketards are upset by it
View Quote

Well they’re upset by the current US flag too

I don’t care.  Or really even give it much notice

But what I think is a bit absurd are people who live in PA or OH and other northern states flying it.   Usually in front of a trailer or run down house with a couple cars up on cinder blocks and old appliances in the yard or on the porch.  

Gadsen flag would be more appropriate these days.  If you want to send some sort of message.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I grew up in the shadow on Stone Mountain and I honestly think people who fly the stars and bars are pretty cringe.
Say what you want but the flag has negative meaning to people. I've witnessed it shoved in peoples face with all intentions of provoking them.
It's the battle flag of the losing team.
I would rather fly an Atlanta Thrashers flag. They were around longer than the CSA and accomplished more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#31]
When I see who is offended or angered by it, I usually support that it be flown even higher.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I generally roll my eyes. My family has been in Tennessee just shy of 200 years. Poor dirt farmers in the mountains of Tennessee. We didn’t own slaves. Historically, don’t care who did or didn’t. Waving or displaying the confederate flag at this point is stupid. You know the emotions that come with it. It’s more a look at me! thing for white trash mouth breathers but it’s their right to do it so wave on General Lee!
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Funny part is, you fly an actual Confederate flag, not the battle flag, and 99% have no idea what it is.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#34]

I immediately think of this
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't care.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Sadness.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Nobody cares.

/Thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Doesn’t bother me one bit. I live in Alabama, the heart of Dixie. It’s part of the culture down here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I chuckle a little
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I remember when this went down:
Attachment Attached File

"Effective January 1, 2021, the Division of Motor Vehicles will no longer issue or renew specialty license plates bearing the Confederate battle flag or any variation of that flag," the statement read. "The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has determined that license plates bearing the Confederate battle flag have the potential to offend those who view them. We have therefore concluded that display of the Confederate battle flag is inappropriate for display on specialty license plates, which remain property of the state."
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've always thought it means you are proud of your Southern Heritage
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Absolutely no feeling about it at all, but I am not from the US. To me it's Dukes of Hazzard and country tradition, there's no connotation to it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Nothing.   These things don’t bother me.  It’s not like it’s the ISIS flag
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#46]
I think it’s stupid but I don’t really care.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#47]
<---- Opinion of a person of color

Depends on the context.  

If it's flown by the KKK during a march, it becomes a symbol of hatred.

If it's flown by reenactors or at a Civil War site, no problem and it would be a disappointment if it wasn't flown.

At the California Civil War round tables I belonged to, we had both flags displayed at our meetings.  It was about history.

In the course of conducting research for my first book (sharpshooting in the black powder era), I've been to the south many times and experienced more racism in San Francisco.  Down South I've no problems wherever I went and the places I ate or stayed at.  Can't same the same about my native city which is supposed to be progressive and all embracing.

Historian John Coski has a book on the subject, The Embattled Flag.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I assume low IQ.
View Quote

The cool thing about message boards is that you seldom have to assume someone's IQ.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Several fly in my neighborhood. It is just a southern dixie thing. Proud to be a southerner. Nothing more, nothing less.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#50]
BTW, the rectangular flag is the Confederate Naval Ensign.
The battle flag flown by the Army of Northern Virginia was more square but with the same Cross of St. Andrew.
The Hardee flag (blue with white snowball) was carried by the Confederate Army of Tennessee.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top