Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The environmental regulations are onerous to even maintain their roads - let alone trim veg. This is my field - it’s expensive to maintain because it takes forever to work through the various environmental approvals.

So yes - while they are nominally allowed to trim veg, the environmental process is very expensive.
View Quote
I'm not sure "can't", "won't", or "don't" make much of a difference here.

Not happening = not happening.

Regardless.... when people point fingers, blame, regulate and sue to the extreme - this is the result.

People are going to cry either way.  Me...... I'll have Coke.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Can they not charge one rate for urban populations, and another rate for these people with high maintenance lines? I can understand city folk not wanting to pay high rates to subsidize the people who choose to live in BFE. I'm sure the people who actually live in these areas would be happy to pay a little more to keep their lights on.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can they not charge one rate for urban populations, and another rate for these people with high maintenance lines? I can understand city folk not wanting to pay high rates to subsidize the people who choose to live in BFE. I'm sure the people who actually live in these areas would be happy to pay a little more to keep their lights on.
View Quote
Everyone is served by these transmission lines. EVEN the urban populations. Typically electricity is generated from 2,300 to 25,000 volts. Then the voltage from the generator is fed into a main step up transformer just outside of the plant  at around 100kv and then fed into yet another transformer in a switch yard further out from the plant that increases the voltage again to 250kv or so then fed over the lines to substations that reduce the voltage down to the required lower system voltage and into another transformer that feeds the local customer with their required voltage. Clearly there are some differences but for the most part this is how it all works. I am a worker for a major electrical provider not just some guy who thinks he understands the grid.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
We will see if the electric rates increase in these staunch leftist areas when PG&E'S Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant closes permanently in 2022. One more cost point for the normal masses to consider.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We will see if the electric rates increase in these staunch leftist areas when PG&E'S Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant closes permanently in 2022. One more cost point for the normal masses to consider.
View Quote
Of course the rates will increase, then they'll increase again as PG&E and the feds try to figure out to do with all of the spent fuel, just like they are at San Onofre.

Getting rooftop solar is the best defense against rate increases for a lot of us.  I got mine in 2010 assuming rates would go up by 8% per year, and they've gone up by more than that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Yay for rats fleeing the ship at that point.

Welcome to a neighborhood near you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

California has far more value than say, Ohio. It just needs to be purged of leftists.
View Quote
As does most of the US.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It like usual where people post without reading the article, except this time you took it a step further and didn't even read the OP or possibly even the title.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somehow they managed to provide power to california for decades. Either global warming is real, or this is the rolling blackouts part of transitioning to a 3rd world country
It like usual where people post without reading the article, except this time you took it a step further and didn't even read the OP or possibly even the title.
You don't get the best bang for your trolling dollar having your guys read articles.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wonder what is going to happen when the people get fed up with the power outages and Gov Newsome announces that the State will seize and take over running of the power companies to fix it?
View Quote
Big urban areas won't be shut down, rural areas will be called bitter clingers.  The rulers will always have power.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Everyone is served by these transmission lines. EVEN the urban populations.
View Quote
If everyone is served by the same lines, then turning them off would turn off everyone's power. Wouldn't it?

Or are they just leaving some high risk lines operational based on the number of pissed off customers, as opposed to actual risk as stated?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.
View Quote
I was expecting more resistance.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If everyone is served by the same lines, then turning them off would turn off everyone's power. Wouldn't it?

Or are they just leaving some high risk lines operational based on the number of pissed off customers, as opposed to actual risk as stated?
View Quote
they are turning off some lines in high risk areas. You can bet that they are leaving on as many lines as possible. The smaller lower voltage distribution lines are more than likely what they are turning off based on the small amount of folks in the outage. The transmission lines like the ones that started the fires are more than likely not being shut off. There is a difference between distribution and transmission lines. It may simply be that the reporting in the articles is wrong and that the fires were caused by distribution lines instead of transmission as I had read.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Good for them. Suck on it California.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Everybody in California has solar power, don't they? This won't affect many people.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Projected outage area.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Everybody in California has solar power, don't they? This won't affect many people.
View Quote
If the grid is down, solar shuts off. Only if you are off grid on battery would you stay on.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good for them. Suck on it California.
View Quote
You do realize the only areas to blackout are remote conservative counties where the State of Jefferson is promoted and everyone is pro 2a? We are being shut off because the yuppies fucked up the clear zones and PG&E stopped being proactive maintaining lines many years ago.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ll shit myself if one of those affected areas catches fire during a blackout lol
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
California has far more value than say, Ohio. It just needs to be purged of leftists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again GD has shown the suck that is California..Trump should try and sell it back to Mexico.
Lol. I will enjoy my freedoms here while the left coast struggles with which bathroom to use.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#20]
man... that sucks bro.

at least the can afford to maintain all those homeless dopers and illegals tho... amIright?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Pigs Greed and Extortion

They have finally killed Reddy Kilowatt
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
watch a fire get started by some idiot trying to run a cheap generator for the first time....
View Quote
Was going to post something along these lines.  Seems safer to me to have power flowing through power lines than thousands of people firing up generators to get them through the outage.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
watch a fire get started by some idiot trying to run a cheap generator for the first time....
View Quote
oh you know this is coming.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lol. I will enjoy my freedoms here while the left coast struggles with which bathroom to use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again GD has shown the suck that is California..Trump should try and sell it back to Mexico.
Lol, I don't know. Sounds like being able to walk into any bathroom thats available to take a piss is the definition of freedom.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Build Tesla towers and be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll shit myself if one of those affected areas catches fire during a blackout lol
View Quote
How would they call the local fire department?  Phones won't work without electricity.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't know a lot about power transmission, but it seems to me that underground lines would make sense in fire-prone areas.  I'm sure the cost is high, but it's one and done as opposed to having to come back and trim vegetation every few years.
View Quote
Underground lines are incredibly expensive to run.  They would have to pass that cost on to consumers, much like they would the cost of trimming trees.  Californians don't like that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#28]
My thoughts... Honestly, it doesn't make sense to be turning the power on and off, given how capricious wind can be. What are the chances that they are cutting power to certain areas in order to ensure power to major cities over the weekend? You know, picking winners and losers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I guarantee you that every Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. in the affected areas has people lined up to buy generators at this very moment.  They will be sold out by 10:00 AM.
View Quote
What good will they be when you can't pump the gas out of the gas tanks.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its still a blackout, if they shut it down on purpose. What is different now from all the other summers when PG&E could provide uninterrupted service? Global warming causing more hazardous fire conditions? Or failing infrastructure and neglected forests as a symptom of our increasing 3rd world status. I see you got the reading part down now work on the thinking part and you'll be set.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Prop 65 Warning - Electricity is known to cause cancer in the state of California
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#33]
As many of you recall California blamed PG&E for last years wildfire and sued the shit out of them. I don't blame PG&E for refusal of service. Blame the old hippies.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#34]
My kid lives in Oroville and her power is still on as of a few min ago. Sucks cause a lot of the older folks they moved from Paradise when the nursing home burned are there in Oroville still.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#35]
regarding the clearing of vegetation from around the power line corridors

there are distances and heights around the power lines that pg&e are allowed to cut to. the problem is, there are many areas where

1 - communities around the power lines don't like pg&e from clear cutting the corridors because 'the trees provide beauty and enhance property values'
2 - the areas around some of the corridors have trees much higher than the cutting easement, so if they fall, they will pull down the power lines anyway
3 - there is more miles of corridors they have to maintain than what they can afford to fund, based on what charges they can pass on to customers by the utility rate commission

and most importantly, the heavily forested areas around the power line corridors have lots of fuel loads that have not been cleared for years, due to tree cutting and lumbering restrictions. don't allow people to cut forested areas or clear the underbrush, means lots more to burn in a lot of areas, and as they die, you get  a lot of dead timber that builds up and isn't cleared away.

prescribed burns would decrease some of this fuel load, and clear away a lot of fuel, but there are air quality restrictions on how much and when you can burn, so much of the stuff never gets permitted to be burned.

over the years, instead of fires that can be easily managed, you get fire that breaks out, becoming huge wildfires, because of how much fuel there is to burn.

pg&e was ordered to do an extensive clearing and inspection of it's lines and corridors. at the beginning of the year, pg&e complained, citing this

California utility company PG&E said in a court filing Wednesday that it can't afford a federal judge's order to inspect its energy grid and clear trees that could fall into its power lines, work it estimates would cost between $75 billion and $150 billion.

The company told the U.S. District Court in San Francisco that the judge's so-called vegetation management plan would force it to dramatically increase the rates it charges customers to employ more than 650,000 full-time workers.

"PG&E would inevitably need to turn to California ratepayers for funding, resulting in a substantial increase  an estimated one-year increase of more than five times current rates in typical utility bills," it said in the filing.

The work was proposed in a Jan. 9 order by U.S. District Judge William Alsup.
View Quote
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/24/pge-says-it-might-have-to-quintuple-rates-if-forced-to-clear-trees.html

alsup in april ordered pg&e to cease issuing dividends, and direct all funds toward implementing this vegetation management plan.

basically, alsup will end up driving pg&e into further forms of bankruptcy until it broken up and sold off
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Mandated solar panels will save Kalifornia

Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Somehow they managed to provide power to california for decades. Either global warming is real, or this is the rolling blackouts part of transitioning to a 3rd world country
View Quote
Or it could simply be that leftiest over the years prevented prudent fire mitigation measures and now we're suffering because of it
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If we shut down the roads, we can cut car accidents down to zero!
View Quote
Please don't give them more ideas

what Cal should really do is put a giant wall up to keep other Americans out of their utopia
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Needs more sky saw.  Can’t be too expensive...

Trimming trees by power line with helicopter
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Needs more sky saw.  Can't be too expensive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz1YrpMbBg
View Quote
I think the problem is California will not allow saws like this.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs more sky saw.  Can't be too expensive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz1YrpMbBg
do they cause cancer?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Home use generators will be banned by the state.

Give everyone that has a power outage AOC's personal phone number, to tell them what they think of their New Green Deal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a troll account.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Power company pun!
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Shut off SoCal's power, too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The power company was successfully sued for starting fires last year. They are responding to.that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The power company was successfully sued for starting fires last year. They are responding to.that
Yep, a big back-at-ya fuck you and your A/C, TV, Interwebz, etc
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top