[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could have small kids?
View Quote

Could have big kids?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I looked for the battery to replace in my iron sights. Couldn't find one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a feeling like two or three people are going to be added to an ignore list from this thread.

If you read any variation of the word “narcissistic” that means you have to drink.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Could have big kids?
View Quote

Why do you people always forget about the medium sized kids?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep. Let someone else control the narrative. Teach your kids to be afraid and that firearms are bad. It’s fine.
View Quote

I 100% lock up all my guns when I'm not carrying them,  I have kids,  they know guns and shoot all the time.  But having a unsecure firearm sitting around is irresponsible.  Maybe its just my military trainnig.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You should notice that the dot is dead when you do your 3-5 practice draw/presentations every day.

You are doing your 3-5 practice draw/presentations every day aren't you?  
View Quote

I was doing them prior to securing the pistol.  That is being swapped now, and being done during the gear up phase, going forward.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What the heck does, 'full stop' mean? That's real retarded, sir.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is why putting a red dot on pistol is ridiculous. Wtf for? Iron sights work all the time.
View Quote

Funny....I've personally witnessed more iron sights fail on pistols than red dots.  At least with a red dot you have backup iron sights, when iron sights fail you have nothing.....unless you're a point shooting advocate...in which case you're already lost.

OP.....I use New Years Day for annual maintenance on all my guns....I'm always off work and never have plans.  Batteries get changed in every optic / light, guns that don't get shot often get wiped down and a light coat of oil...etc...etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Funny....I've personally witnessed more iron sights fail on pistols than red dots.  At least with a red dot you have backup iron sights, when iron sights fail you have nothing.....unless you're a point shooting advocate...in which case you're already lost.

OP.....I use New Years Day for annual maintenance on all my guns....I'm always off work and never have plans.  Batteries get changed in every optic / light, guns that don't get shot often get wiped down and a light coat of oil...etc...etc.
View Quote

Yuuuup.

Saw a front sight fly off a gun in a match last Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a feeling like two or three people are going to be added to an ignore list from this thread.

If you read any variation of the word “narcissistic” that means you have to drink.
View Quote

We could add the word "narrative" to the list but then we'd all be shit faced by lunch.....which may or may not be a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I check the fairly often. Normally always keep a spares in stock or pistol grip storage as well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When my kids were small, all my guns were locked in the safe except my issued duty sidearm. I just took off my gunbelt when I got home and set it by the bed. My kids wouldn't have been able to get the gun out of the level 3 security holster it was in.
View Quote

Kids are ingenious.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#13]
All of my RDS have long battery lives, however they all get changed annually.  Pick a date of significance and change them all on that day.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why do you people always forget about the medium sized kids?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We could add the word "narrative" to the list but then we'd all be shit faced by lunch.....which may or may not be a good thing.
View Quote

Fuck yes. We need Bingo cards.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My 2 year old is smart. He's not smart enough to know the consequences of mishandling a loaded firearm.

Expecting him to not be a curious toddler is how dumb parents end up with dead kids.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could teach your small kids about firearms

My 2 year old is smart. He's not smart enough to know the consequences of mishandling a loaded firearm.

Expecting him to not be a curious toddler is how dumb parents end up with dead kids.
I hear ya. My 8 month is old is crawling and getting into everything already. A good biometric pistol safe is going to be on my Christmas list because by this time next year I will for sure need it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Funny....I've personally witnessed more iron sights fail on pistols than red dots.
View Quote

That’s because there are significantly more iron sights on pistols than red dots.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#18]
My Holosun 407c is supposed to go 40k hours. It makes it like 6 months! and most of that time its off with the shake awake feature. What a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That’s because there are significantly more iron sights on pistols than red dots.  
View Quote

And because they also fail.

If someone was honestly concerned about reliability they would have a MRDS with BUIS to give a level of redundancy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is why putting a red dot on pistol is ridiculous. Wtf for? Iron sights work all the time.
View Quote
Have you not heard the famous Arfcom adage "get both"? The sights on my G19 are perfectly usable through the RMR.

I once was a pistol red dot Luddite. But I was shown the way. And the way is good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Replace the battery on your birthday. Easy to remember. Cheap insurance.
View Quote

That is likely insufficient frequency for most pistol mounted RDS optics. Especially if you leave them on all the time.

It's going to depend on your battery, your optic, and what power level you keep your optic at, but a proactive schedule of replacing the battery is a good idea.

The hour numbers quoted by most optic manufacturers require settings that are often unusable in daylight. I tend to keep my red optics at about 1 or 2 settings below maximum, which means I will end up with a significantly shorter battery life. Every additional setting on an electronic optic is exponentially more battery drain.

With the Acro P1, I replaced the battery in my carry gun monthly. With my P2 I'll probably replace the battery 3 times a year as I tend to carry it on setting 8 or 9.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Replace the battery on your birthday. Easy to remember. Cheap insurance.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you not heard the famous Arfcom adage "get both"? The sights on my G19 are perfectly usable through the RMR.

I once was a pistol red dot Luddite. But I was shown the way. And the way is good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not wanting a red dot on your handgun isn't being a luddite. You can admit that your eyes got worse and the red dot is the only way for you to sight something. No need to make up that last part, just admit it that it was because of your current eye condition.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I 100% lock up all my guns when I'm not carrying them,  I have kids,  they know guns and shoot all the time.  But having a unsecure firearm sitting around is irresponsible.  Maybe its just my military trainnig.
View Quote

Military also said you should be disarmed as an individual on a base
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Good god this thread went into the ditch with authority.

OP, replace the battery once a year. I do the first of the year, but lots of people use their birthday.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not wanting a red dot on your handgun isn't being a luddite. You can admit that your eyes got worse and the red dot is the only way for you to sight something. No need to make up that last part, just admit it that it was because of your current eye condition.
View Quote

Red dots are measurably better than irons.....sorry your iron sights lost.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arguing that unsupervised 2 year old kids should be trusted with loaded firearms might be the dumbest hill I've seen anyone die on here.....congrats I guess.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eye sight has nothing to do with it. I'm one of Arf's hated group, the millennials. My vision is still great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Also, see this thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/I-ll-make-my-own-Staccato-but-better-With-blackjack-and-hookers-/16-206013/
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Eye sight has nothing to do with it. I'm one of Arf's hated group, the millennials. My vision is still great.
View Quote

There's millennials who have bad eyes too.

The only thing that this has to do with is user preferences. You prefer it, I do not. Instead of trying to be edgy we instead accept each other's preferences without trying to eat our own? That would be great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, see this thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/I-ll-make-my-own-Staccato-but-better-With-blackjack-and-hookers-/16-206013/

Tl;Dr

The way forward is training. The way backwards is arguing until all you hear is your words out of our mouths.

Grip
Rotate.
Present
Shoot.

That's what you should be concerning yourself about, not arguing with the others if they don't have a red dot or not on their EDC. Aren't we all on the same team here?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The only thing that this has to do with is user preferences. You prefer it, I do not. Instead of trying to be edgy we instead accept each other's preferences without trying to eat our own? That would be great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I prefer it, because it's better for many reasons. The one getting all defensive in here is you. Feel free to shoot however you want.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Check every morning. All you need to do is look at your sight and see the dot. Replace battery every 6 months regardless. They are cheap.

To all those who say irons won’t fail, LOL. These are the same people who don’t know if their sights are even zeroed. Irons can and do shift.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny....I've personally witnessed more iron sights fail on pistols than red dots.

In classes I've taken in the last 2 years I'd say it's been pretty close to 50/50 irons to red dots.  A class last month had 8 shooters....all but 3 had red dots.

I honestly don't care what people use on their guns but the "irons never fail" crowd is just being willfully ignorant, or doesn't spend enough time on the range.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't care if you use a red dot or not, I personally dont have one on my carry guns now. However I don't kid myself, I don't doubt they are better for aquiring targets and accuracy in the real world where threats arent stationary targets. In fact I am going to go get a P365 and throw a red dot on there in the next few days because I have put it off too long. The guns and optics are now at a size that can easily be carried and concealed and it is time for me to change my ways.

There have been a number of times when it comes to firearms I had to realize I was being an obstinate ass about change. One was optics on rifles. I was a grunt fresh out of the Corps and I knew I could shoot irons just fine. then I shot a red dot on a rifle and realized I was indeed being ignorant. since that epiphany I have shot number of pistol competitions with mixed classes and can't dismiss the times and accuracy of those shooting a class that allows optics.

Also yes, you should change your batteries as well take them out of the optics in the safe that you dont use.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Change mine on July 4th each year, because Freedom.

I try to only use Japanese manufactured lithium batteries.  Panasonic industrial seems to be good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Once a year
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yes I prefer it, because it's better for many reasons. The one getting all defensive in here is you. Feel free to shoot however you want.
View Quote
You just got defensive right now, so that now makes "two" of us. And I wasn't being defensive, I was being honest from a neutral POV. So now it's just one being defensive.

I am glad that you have something to prefer, better than being told to prefer what we never needed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#39]
The AA on my EOTech started leaking. Now I have to clean off all the contacts and hope I can restore it
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't care if you use a red dot or not, I personally dont have one on my carry guns now. However I don't kid myself, I don't doubt they are better for aquiring targets and accuracy in the real world where threats arent stationary targets. In fact I am going to go get a P365 and throw a red dot on there in the next few days because I have put it off too long. The guns and optics are now at a size that can easily be carried and concealed and it is time for me to change my ways.

There have been a number of times when it comes to firearms I had to realize I was being an obstinate ass about change. One was optics on rifles. I was a grunt fresh out of the Corps and I knew I could shoot irons just fine. then I shot a red dot on a rifle and realized I was indeed being ignorant. since that epiphany I have shot number of pistol competitions with mixed classes and can't dismiss the times and accuracy of those shooting a class that allows optics.

Also yes, you should change your batteries as well take them out of the optics in the safe that you dont use.
View Quote

Your schtick to shame isn't working. Being an obstinate ass to those not wanting to fix a problem that doesn't exist is an ignorance all on it's on. You've been called on this in the past trying to crash in and harshly criticize under the pretenses of dIsCuSsIoN and hElPiNg. And most wasn't just coming from just me as others were pointing this out as well.

Before the age of red dots on handguns, how were so many of you able to stay alive? Were you all not serious then too, or is it serious only if a red dot is on their and the approved tribal list of carry and SHTF guns? If that's the case, there is a metric ton of hypocritical BS.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
Quoted:

iRoNz NeVeR fAiL!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241349/7E23BF1A-EEE0-42A3-A58E-9A155023E6BD_jpe-2500786.JPG

I can join that club,

When you’re shooting a string and suddenly lose your front sight focus because you lose your front sight

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Arguing that unsupervised 2 year old kids should be trusted with loaded firearms might be the dumbest hill I've seen anyone die on here.....congrats I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I can join that club,

When you’re shooting a string and suddenly lose your front sight focus because you lose your front sight

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/D3D69ACA-3A74-409F-BA2F-372F9BCC14FD_jpe-2501243.JPG
View Quote

Whoopsies!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yup.

I have a rule that loaded guns are either in my hands, on my belt, or in the quick access safe.

Period, full stop.

I don’t mess around with my kids safety. Leaving a loaded gun on the nightstand, in the car, etc could have tragic consequences where 3 years ago it was no big deal.
View Quote

Same. Of it's not securely holstered on my person or disassembled for maintenance etc, it's locked up. Once my kid showed up, my entire "firearms around the house" procedure had to change drastically. People who've never had a toddler running around don't know what a large shift in procedures it is.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Your schtick to shame isn't working. Being an obstinate ass to those not wanting to fix a problem that doesn't exist is an ignorance all on it's on. You've been called on this in the past trying to crash in and harshly criticize under the pretenses of dIsCuSsIoN and hElPiNg. And most wasn't just coming from just me as others were pointing this out as well.

Before the age of red dots on handguns, how were so many of you able to stay alive? Were you all not serious then too, or is it serious only if a red dot is on their and the approved tribal list of carry and SHTF guns? If that's the case, there is a metric ton of hypocritical BS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound mad. Are you mad, bro?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I know, “Chinese trash-panda” optic, but they haven’t failed me yet…and I’m still alive!  Battery life is 50,000 hours. I have one P365XL that I’m going to let test that feature, but other ones I carry, I change them at year two. I keep a decent stock, so all my battery powered optics get batteries rotated; it’s really cheap insurance.  That said, I kind of prefer BUIS, even on my handguns. Not all are (like the XL), but it just gives me a warm fuzzy for some reason…likely my career of going from irons to optics…old dogs still like irons, even if for backup.  

I still appreciate irons, but there is simply no comparison to having a red dot for the “average” shooter. Can you spend thousands of hours and thousands of rounds every month to be John Wick? Sure, but for the average shooter, speed and accuracy at distance with a red dot will ALWAYS beat irons. Period. If you don’t practice defensive shooting beyond the standard 25 yards, a red dot may not be important to you. If you just practice the usual 7 yard an in drills, it’s also a wash (at least for me it is). Speed at distance and multiple targets is where a red dot separates from iron sights…unless split times and accuracy are secondary concerns.

Quoted:
By 2 my son knew exactly what a firearm was and what it did. But I guess I’m a careless parent. Hell, he shot his first Mac11 a little before he was 5. No need to be curious when you’ve been allowed to handle them
View Quote

Parents know their kids best, I don’t judge. My son was three and half when he was on the range and safely handling a little .22 Rifle. Other than my bedroom defense guns, all my guns were locked up in the gun safe and anytime he wanted to see a gun, I let him. We would go through the whole safety process and handling. Guns weren’t taboo, I just taught him that he could handle them whenever he asked and I was with him. Interesting how that works…that 3-1/2 year old kid is now a 23-1/2 year old Infantry 2LT, full-time LEO, and on his department’s SWAT team.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's kinda his thing.....you can reference basically any red dot thread for examples.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yuuuup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yuuuup.

Si.

Saw it just last week running guys through training. His RDS (DPP) was working but his front sight was spinning.

Just to add to the bitching... Glock MOS plates are complete garbage.

Carry on...
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone’s going on the ignore list!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Same. Of it's not securely holstered on my person or disassembled for maintenance etc, it's locked up. Once my kid showed up, my entire "firearms around the house" procedure had to change drastically. People who've never had a toddler running around don't know what a large shift in procedures it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

I have a rule that loaded guns are either in my hands, on my belt, or in the quick access safe.

Period, full stop.

I don’t mess around with my kids safety. Leaving a loaded gun on the nightstand, in the car, etc could have tragic consequences where 3 years ago it was no big deal.

Agree.  Now that it's just myself and my wife in the house and the kid is an adult, I will leave an unloaded gun unsecured on my workbench.  When the kid was younger, everything was locked up or on my person.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top