Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't. my PC has 3X rifle mags on it and thats it. rest goes on the belt. and I have a esee 4.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

is that Hypalon backing on your chest rig? The shoulder straps?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SOG Field Knife, mounted on weak-side cumberbund.

https://i.imgur.com/dc7rC0K.jpg

is that Hypalon backing on your chest rig? The shoulder straps?

No idea. Whatever Eagle Industries is putting on their Low-Vis Plate Carrier. Whatever it is, I freaking love it!

Link
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't want to be judgy but some of you need to do force on force combative training in your gear.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Gerber LMF
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I used to hunt wild hogs with dogs and my SRK.  The curs would bay them, the bulldog would catch, then I would grab the back legs, drag them backwards, then throw to one side, pivot quickly and plant one knee on their back just behind the shoulder, raise the front leg and put the SRK under the leg and slide it between the ribs. Work it around the dice the heart up.  You'd know when you got it because the blood would gout out pretty hard for a second.  Even the large boar hogs only last about 8 seconds or so before the blood pressure drops and it's lights out.
I've had to stab a few hogs to death that I couldn't get thrown that were cutting dogs up and it's touch and go.  You stab, stab, stab while they are preoccupied with a dog, but they inevitably turn on you and you got to dash for cover behind a tree and hope the dogs grab it again.  You get the licks in as fast as you can.  
The point I'm making about the SRK is this.  The handle is knobby and slightly softer rubber, it "kinda" has a guard that keeps your hand from riding up on the blade.  I've never come close to hurting myself with it.  I've got a couple of the older Carbon V models and one of the San Mai models.  The newer model I have has a little bit of a hollow grind which pisses me off because I liked the strength of the older blades even with the added weight. Haven't broken the belly out of it yet and it's razor sharp like the others.

View Quote

Interesting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So... if you have time and space to draw a knife why wouldn't you just transition to a handgun?
View Quote

There's a few TTPs regarding this.  If you don't want to carry a knife on your PC, then don't.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Gerber Strongarm for $70, or Gryphon M10 for $100?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gerber Strongarm for $70, or Gryphon M10 for $100?
View Quote

Eh.

At least the M10 is a Terozula design and VG10.

A helpful chart for inquisitive people
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Applegate fairbairn dagger or a toor knives serpent
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Applegate fairbairn dagger or a toor knives serpent
View Quote

So many fairbains are made out of crap.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Eh.

At least the M10 is a Terozula design and VG10.

https://i0.wp.com/knifesteelnerds.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CATRA-4-27-2020-2.jpg?w=753&ssl=1

A helpful chart for inquisitive people
View Quote

I have no idea what that chart means.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#13]
When I wore a plate carrier, it had one of these attached to it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Okie dokie.

In short its a chart that shows how long a steel will keep its edge. Granted there are several factors that impact this, the guy who made the chart tried to mitigate a lot of these factors to give a "baseline" to compare steels.

There's more to it than this but it's a pretty easy reference.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Okie dokie.

In short its a chart that shows how long a steel will keep its edge. Granted there are several factors that impact this, the guy who made the chart tried to mitigate a lot of these factors to give a "baseline" to compare steels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okie dokie.

The higher a knife is on the chart, the longer it holds an edge? I'm not seeing the Strongarm steel in there for a comparison.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The higher a knife is on the chart, the longer it holds an edge? I'm not seeing the Strongarm steel in there for a comparison.
View Quote
The Strongarm would likely be slightly higher than 8670.  420 is a pretty poor performer.

It is relatively tough however. That's likely why it was chosen.  AEB-L would have been a better choice and possibly even tougher yet.

420 isn't on the chart because it's practically unused by anyone but Randall and Buck anymore.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Make a recommendation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No Ka-Bar love?

Make a recommendation.

K-Bar Mk 1 in a Cleveland Custom Kydex sheath, that I put velcro tape on, and secure in the cummerbund of a Ferro Slickster.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Where'd you get that patch?
View All Quotes

This! I need one!
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.

Because it's not good.

I mean if you have room on your PC for a sharpener
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Get one that's sharp, strong, and you can afford to lose. Go with a Glock knife or a Cold Steel SRK.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Gerber LMF II on mine. Similar to the StrongArm, but I like the LMF handle better and the pommel is more gooder
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the SRK blade design and handle. But it has a design deficiency imo where the tang is greatly reduced and the shoulders have sharp right angles creating stress risers

Before you say "ya well I just won't baton pole barn nails" just note that the way the pressure was being focused was directly through the blade into the nail. For it to fail 3" back is a pretty significant issue imo.

If I were buying an SRK to put on my PC I'd make sure it was the 3V version.

Particularly on a knife where the common excuse for using low hardness, low carbide steels is so that they're "tough enough" for anything.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#24]
A buck paklite is flatter than tay tay, and slips into the map pocket for storage until I need it. Mine is not for fighting, more for utility work.
Sucks that you guys pointed out it's made from pop cans, and completely useless.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A mother fucker shanker

https://i.imgur.com/DIDER9H.jpg

Battle tested

https://i.imgur.com/2CKNs6F.jpg
View Quote

Info please @Star_Scream
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A buck paklite is flatter than tay tay, and slips into the map pocket for storage until I need it. Mine is not for fighting, more for utility work.
Sucks that you guys pointed out it's made from pop cans, and completely useless.
View Quote
It's not useless any more than an M1A is useless. There are just better options today.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I used to hunt wild hogs with dogs and my SRK.  The curs would bay them, the bulldog would catch, then I would grab the back legs, drag them backwards, then throw to one side, pivot quickly and plant one knee on their back just behind the shoulder, raise the front leg and put the SRK under the leg and slide it between the ribs. Work it around the dice the heart up.  You'd know when you got it because the blood would gout out pretty hard for a second.  Even the large boar hogs only last about 8 seconds or so before the blood pressure drops and it's lights out.
I've had to stab a few hogs to death that I couldn't get thrown that were cutting dogs up and it's touch and go.  You stab, stab, stab while they are preoccupied with a dog, but they inevitably turn on you and you got to dash for cover behind a tree and hope the dogs grab it again.  You get the licks in as fast as you can.  
The point I'm making about the SRK is this.  The handle is knobby and slightly softer rubber, it "kinda" has a guard that keeps your hand from riding up on the blade.  I've never come close to hurting myself with it.  I've got a couple of the older Carbon V models and one of the San Mai models.  The newer model I have has a little bit of a hollow grind which pisses me off because I liked the strength of the older blades even with the added weight. Haven't broken the belly out of it yet and it's razor sharp like the others.

View Quote

Haven't looked at the SRK, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:00:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I got This a month or so back.  Its light as hell with out scales and its elmax.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Info please @Star_Scream
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A mother fucker shanker

https://i.imgur.com/DIDER9H.jpg

Battle tested

https://i.imgur.com/2CKNs6F.jpg

Info please @Star_Scream

Spartan CQB

Similar to Benchmade SOCP.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 2:22:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like the SRK blade design and handle. But it has a design deficiency imo where the tang is greatly reduced and the shoulders have sharp right angles creating stress risers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO_PlT50ae8

Before you say "ya well I just won't baton pole barn nails" just note that the way the pressure was being focused was directly through the blade into the nail. For it to fail 3" back is a pretty significant issue imo.

Particularly on a knife where the common excuse for using low hardness, low carbide steels is so that they're "tough enough" for anything.
View Quote

This is the first time I have ever encountered anyone who was critical of the SRK's toughness. Here's a rebuttal. These guys managed to break a $40 knife by abusing the hell out of it. Okay. Every blade is a series of compromises -- nothing is free. Cost, weight, balance, strength, there is no perfect answer. But some few knives have really stood the test of time and proven themselves. The SRK certainly is one of these. Is the $40 version the pinnacle of bladed excellence? No, but it's about as good as it can possibly get at that price point, and significantly better than many knives that cost far more.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 6:08:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Versus their handgun?

Yeah, ok.
View Quote

Another visible weapon to worry about retaining, if you happen to be in a struggle. I'm looking at it from the LE point of view. I see lots of Officers wearing one or more dagger type blades on their outer carrier.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I have an old Benchmade dagger someone gave me. It’s pointy, so it would serve its purpose.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Since I'm from the flak vest and tin pot days, I hadn't thought of a knife on my Plate Carrier until I saw this.  

https://www.crkt.com/shop/tactical-knives/clever-girl.html
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I have an Esee 3 on one and a Benchmade SOCP on another; both are great.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is the first time I have ever encountered anyone who was critical of the SRK's toughness. Here's a rebuttal. These guys managed to break a $40 knife by abusing the hell out of it. Okay. Every blade is a series of compromises -- nothing is free. Cost, weight, balance, strength, there is no perfect answer. But some few knives have really stood the test of time and proven themselves. The SRK certainly is one of these. Is the $40 version the pinnacle of bladed excellence? No, but it's about as good as it can possibly get at that price point, and significantly better than many knives that cost far more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fair.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I just like posting knife pics in knife threads.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File
If I'm just wearing my plate carrier I keep my Benchmade auto clipped in my right front pocket.  I don't really like a lot of stuff on the PC, too heavy, so I keep everything else on a battle belt including an ESEE fixed blade.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Me too

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That's fair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fair.

Am I correct in remembering that you are a knifemaker like myself Kuraki?  A common question I get is "your a knifemaker, why aren't you using yours instead of a Ka-Bar-SRK-Randall, MORA, etc.  
I love knives, I buy knives, I make knives.  I collect and them.  Would I hang my $1200 Chris Reeve MKIV on my APC?  Abolutely not. I clean bluegills with a Mora because of it's size and shape.  Many of the knives I make go as gifts to friends and family and some are set back as heirlooms to pass down.  Some I use.

My own knives get cycled in through skinning deer, cleaning fish, etc and are coldly compared to others.  I can't recommend folks buy mine because I usually don't have any for sale, but for the value I recommend the SRK just because it's commonly available and will do most anything you want it to do from batonning to stabbing to cleaning a deer.  And if you lose it, meh, get another one. Even my KaBars and Randalls  are too bulky to hang from an APC or warbelt.  I have one of the 3/4 size Randalls that would be perfect if my hands weren't too big for the handle.

Stay away from knives overly thick, overly long, overly heavy.  You'll start hating it when it's in your way everytime you go to do something.  Those little Mora Garbergs full tangs are excellent EDC knives.

I make knives from D2, 5160, W2 (favorite), Elmax, and M390.  I will take a high carbon W2 that has been properly normalized, heat treated, and good geometry over a sharpened crowbar.

Give me 1" high blade, 5.25" long, 5/32" thick and put a small guard on the bottom side. LIttle bit of belly, stop just short of a full flat grind and drop the tip a little.  Make it carbon W2 so I can get a nice gray patina on it . Round all of the handle hotspots especially under the guard and I'm sold.  Full tang unless it's stag and I'm a huge fan of stag and ram.

I'd rather talk knives than eat.  I love hanging out with other knifemakers because I learn so much.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Sexy!
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I like pokey  stuff..

Emerson karambit on the right for meat and greet.
Esse 4 on left for utility
Socp in center to request social distancing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/1C1885B0-FFB0-4265-9F1E-97E27235A63D-1545571.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/F896B900-62B6-4992-BDD0-28EA8E0EE9A9-1545572.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/DD727E83-822A-4D48-81AB-1BD5BA23508B-1545573.jpg

Edit
Side knives are fairly  hidden when worn.
View Quote

You must move around like Ralphies little brother in the snow suit with that load out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Am I correct in remembering that you are a knifemaker like myself Kuraki?  A common question I get is "your a knifemaker, why aren't you using yours instead of a Ka-Bar-SRK-Randall, MORA, etc.  
I love knives, I buy knives, I make knives.  I collect and them.  Would I hang my $1200 Chris Reeve MKIV on my APC?  Abolutely not. I clean bluegills with a Mora because of it's size and shape.  Many of the knives I make go as gifts to friends and family and some are set back as heirlooms to pass down.  Some I use.

My own knives get cycled in through skinning deer, cleaning fish, etc and are coldly compared to others.  I can't recommend folks buy mine because I usually don't have any for sale, but for the value I recommend the SRK just because it's commonly available and will do most anything you want it to do from batonning to stabbing to cleaning a deer.  And if you lose it, meh, get another one. Even my KaBars and Randalls  are too bulky to hang from an APC or warbelt.  I have one of the 3/4 size Randalls that would be perfect if my hands weren't too big for the handle.

Stay away from knives overly thick, overly long, overly heavy.  You'll start hating it when it's in your way everytime you go to do something.  Those little Mora Garbergs full tangs are excellent EDC knives.

I make knives from D2, 5160, W2 (favorite), Elmax, and M390.  I will take a high carbon W2 that has been properly normalized, heat treated, and good geometry over a sharpened crowbar.

Give me 1" high blade, 5.25" long, 5/32" thick and put a small guard on the bottom side. LIttle bit of belly, stop just short of a full flat grind and drop the tip a little.  Make it carbon W2 so I can get a nice gray patina on it . Round all of the handle hotspots especially under the guard and I'm sold.  Full tang unless it's stag and I'm a huge fan of stag and ram.

I'd rather talk knives than eat.  I love hanging out with other knifemakers because I learn so much.

View Quote
I do use mine. When I don't it's generally because I've already sold whatever I made that would suit the purpose.

In this case I am definitely going with this knife on my PC.  It's small, light, grippy and stabby and the sheath while I designed it for pocket carry is perfect for the map pouch.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have a ZT 0350 in a utility pouch. I like the 0223 and recommended it because the OP seems interested in the style of knife.

For the thread posters in general, maybe I’ll catch flak for this, but if you’re going to carry a big knife, I hope you have training to go with it. Plates are great for protecting your vitals from bullets, but thinking in terms of worst case, plates won’t do jack shit if you’re on the ground with your knife against someone who has competency grappling.
View Quote

If you're on the ground you already failed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I do use mine. When I don't it's generally because I've already sold whatever I made that would suit the purpose.

In this case I am definitely going with this knife on my PC.  It's small, light, grippy and stabby and the sheath while I designed it for pocket carry is perfect for the map pouch.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125898/SmartSelect_20200815-110426_Gallery_jpg-1547296.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125898/SmartSelect_20200815-110409_Gallery_jpg-1547297.JPG

View Quote

Maybe I need a utiliclip to test it out on my PC

From my testing of 80CrV2 vs concrete
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Have you trained in your PC? Run? Pushups? Chins? Everyday tasks?

I mean if it works for you, it works. But it looks bulky to my ultra low speed, high drag eyes. I’m too fat to carry any more extra weight than necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even know why he's bothering to carry spare pistol mags. He can't fucking draw a pistol from either side with 42 pounds of shit he has hanging off both sides. It's like he is trying to cover any exposed molle with.. Something.

Post yours, let me see how you do it..

Have you trained in your PC? Run? Pushups? Chins? Everyday tasks?

I mean if it works for you, it works. But it looks bulky to my ultra low speed, high drag eyes. I’m too fat to carry any more extra weight than necessary.

He has a name tape and sheriff's badge on the carrier so maybe it sits in the trunk most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Saved to favs. I use bulk peroxide baking soda and water in a tub and then hit it with deep woods off and let it set in the sun to dry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I try to clean mine.

key word being try.

I'll take the thing apart and wash it when it's filthy.  I use Bio-o-clean because it doesn't have any brighteners and wash on cold.

Saved to favs. I use bulk peroxide baking soda and water in a tub and then hit it with deep woods off and let it set in the sun to dry.

You have to watch those bug sprays, some are not recommended for contact on nylon because it will ruin it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#49]
With respect to everyone, quite a few in here are suggesting daggers. Here's the problem with that. You are sacrificing a great deal of a knife's utility and strength for perhaps a slight increase in effectiveness in ONE thing: stabbing.

I say perhaps because properly designed Tanto points are generally stronger and penetrate just as well, trading the dagger's back-cut (that the double edge offers) for the increased cutting power at the Tanto blade's Yakote. As a COMBAT knife, meaning it is called upon to do multiple jobs, a properly designed Tanto -- like the Cold Steel Recon Tanto -- is going to be far more useful as a tool than any dagger. As a fighting knife for assassinating sentries or something, I guess either would do.

I would like to make an additional point about daggers as well. It has become cool these days to say that stabbing wins fights, and to be essentially dismissive of a knive's cutting ability. I don't know where this silliness came from, but it is completely absurd. Across the world we can look at a multitude of knife cultures and fighting traditions, and examine the weapons that evolved in these places. We can look and see what worked best for them.

As best I can tell almost all of them ultimately settled on a large blade that favored cutting performance over stabbing, while retaining both. Think the Argentinean Gauchos with their Facón, the Gurkhas with their Kukris, the Khanjars and Janbiya of the middle east, the Bolo, the Falcata, the Katana and Wakizashi. Even here in America knife fighting was once a huge thing and ultimately gave us the Bowie knife. In more modern times a relative few companies have attempted to design knives for self defense and came to the same conclusion. A few noteworthy examples are the Spyderco Civilian / Cold Steel Black Talon or Cold Steel Voyager Vaquero and Espada. All of these knife designs focus on maximizing the cutting potential of the weapon.

Why? Because nothing will end a fight faster than removing your adversary's physical ability to fight. It doesn't matter how motivated or stoned an enemy is, if you cut muscle and nerve and tendon things will stop working instantly. Stabbing doesn't do that.

More, most of the daggers that knife companies produce are for show. The blades are not long enough to properly do the only job a dagger can do. If a dagger isn't long enough to punch through someone's clothing and gear and still reach vital organs from any angle then it is too short. Think 6 or 7" plus, and you better know exactly where you are stabbing.

Summary: If you want a knife for fighting or defense, get something as big as you can carry that is designed with that in mind. Get a Bowie (with a guard), get a Kukri, if you need a folder get a Vaquero or Espada. It doesn't need to be some expensive super steel (for hopefully obvious reasons). If you want a general purpose combat knife get whatever you like, but I suggest something inexpensive that can do pretty much any job (SRK, KaBar, Recon Tanto) and couple if with a multi-tool. I personally went with a Drop Forged Hunter (because it was cheap and as close to indestructible as anything could be, and as a civilian I wanted something less aggressive looking).

All of the above is just my opinion. It is not based on any special elite skills or training, and shouldn't be counted any higher than anyone else's opinion. Decide for yourself. Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am not  Kabar fan by any means, in fact I actively dislike them.  But hunting and killing feral hogs like you described above begs for the use of a Kabar IMO.  I consider it ideal for hogs.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top