Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw this movie
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's some program probation departments use that "predicts the chance at reoffending" through the use of questions, not trolling social media.

There was an old study that tried to make a connection between tattoos and criminality.

I bet if I had unrestricted access to Facebook I could look at the accounts of local criminals and predict that many of their Facebook friends are involved in drugs and theft
View Quote

Inkies
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What is the definition that you use for "terrorist", in particular domestic terrorist?

I was active duty in JSOC, in Ops, when the Patriot act was passed. It's something to see a group of people who perhaps are collectively the most aggressive war fighters on the planet look at each other and pretty much say…."wow, that's going to come back and bite us…."

You're naive if you don't understand how these sets of laws and authorities are being used against political opponents.  You should be terrified.
View Quote

I believe that Antifa is a domestic terrorist organization.
I believe that anyone rioting, burning buildings, looting en masse, attacking police officers and opposing protestors with violence are engaging in domestic terrorism.
I believe that the amended Patriot Act can and should be used to prosecute those people as enemy combatants.  They are a clear and present danger to society.

Sorry Uncle Ben, but times have indeed changed.  Those who would use the Constitution to protect their own seditious acts do not deserve the protection that document bestows on good Americans.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Isn't that like  "profiling?"  Using characteristics of some group or other as an excuse to harass, watch, follow, accost someone who appears to fit into that group?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I believe that anyone rioting, burning buildings, looting en masse, attacking police officers and opposing protestors with violence are engaging in domestic terrorism.
I believe that the amended Patriot Act can and should be used to prosecute those people as enemy combatants.  They are a clear and present danger to society.

Sorry Uncle Ben, but times have indeed changed.  Those who would use the Constitution to protect their own seditious acts do not deserve the protection that document bestows on good Americans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the definition that you use for "terrorist", in particular domestic terrorist?

I was active duty in JSOC, in Ops, when the Patriot act was passed. It's something to see a group of people who perhaps are collectively the most aggressive war fighters on the planet look at each other and pretty much say…."wow, that's going to come back and bite us…."

You're naive if you don't understand how these sets of laws and authorities are being used against political opponents.  You should be terrified.

doesn't matter what you believe, TPTB have a different definition of domestic terrorist
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see a few problems here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Just another reason to not use social media. Is anyone surprised, social media has no gains. Use it and lose your privacy. what’s the point, being more connected? Nope, everything shows more depression and narcissistic behaviors with users. It’s a liability at best and at worse damages your well being.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
and even enables law enforcement officers to infiltrate groups and private accounts using fake personas.

So is this now a call out thread??
View Quote

Wait, we are supposed to use our real names here?

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The 'Protect Act' allows US federal overseas agents to investigate and prosecute US citizens involved in child molestation in other countries (mostly SE Asia.)
There is no written agreement with the other nation (if they informally agree to allow it,) and due process is simply ignored (i.e. warrantless forensic searches/surveillance of private residences, renditions, etc.)

Watch 'The Pedophile Hunters' on Amazon if you want to learn more.

I'm fine with that.  I'm also fine with identifying and prosecuting terrorists - be they foreign or domestic.  We live in a world where giving up a little liberty is necessary if we want to protect our nation.
And yes, I see the potential for abuse, and it makes me a little fearful. But I ask myself: "Should Americans who travel overseas to abuse children have any of the protections the Constitution provides?  Should terrorists who mean to kill innocent citizens have those protections?"

My answer is a resounding "No."

Flame on...
View Quote

The whole point of due process is to make sure innocent people don’t get incorrectly treated as terrorists, pedophiles, etc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh well, I classify the popo all the time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#11]
How does this correlate with standing down while cities burn and felons loot stores?

Why be proactive if you won't do anything? There are hundreds begging for arrest in Portland and Kenosha and thousands more across the country.

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Just the nerd version of Ms. Cleo.

Just as full of it.

I’d love to get labeled a ‘pre-criminal’ and sue the hell out of them for libel and/or slander.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Im perpetually amazed at the system's willingness to embrace new and novel methods of crime fighting, regardless of the constitutional implications, while they simultaneously and consistently fail to do things like keep the Waukesha terrorist in jail when his criminality and recidivism was OBVIOUS.

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The 'Protect Act' allows US federal overseas agents to investigate and prosecute US citizens involved in child molestation in other countries (mostly SE Asia.)
There is no written agreement with the other nation (if they informally agree to allow it,) and due process is simply ignored (i.e. warrantless forensic searches/surveillance of private residences, renditions, etc.)

I'm fine with that.  I'm also fine with identifying and prosecuting terrorists - be they foreign or domestic.  We live in a world where giving up a little liberty is necessary if we want to protect our nation.
And yes, I see the potential for abuse, and it makes me a little fearful. But I ask myself: "Should Americans who travel overseas to abuse children have any of the protections the Constitution provides?  Should terrorists who mean to kill innocent citizens have those protections?"

Flame on...
View Quote

You are wrong.  They aren't criminals until convicted.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like something the country that the acts are taking place in should be handling.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@FlashMan-7k

I think you posted the wrong link in the OP
View Quote

Fixed, good catch ... DOH.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've gone into some of this here before and don't have the energy to repeat myself but I worked these types software tools, in a SOF environment against Jihadis, from 2010ish up until about 3 years ago. It's an incredible capability and if you're not intimately familiar with these tools it almost seems to be some type of science fiction fantasy.

I can only imagine how powerful these tools have become with the USGs significant efforts into expanding their AI capabilities.  See PROJECT MAVEN.

When one ponders these types of deep and accurate analytical tools and then layers in the fact that the USG is now treating citizens as terrorists under the Patriot act it becomes very apparent, very quickly that we are entering into a totalitarian form of government.  That's not hyperbole imo, it's a fact. If nothing else look to what's happening to those parents who challenged CRT and the FBI.

Words have meaning, especially when uttered by a POTUS. When Biden said that there is a war on "domestic terror" it should have stunned this nation. It didn't which in and of itself is terrifying
View Quote

The problem is when people treat these things as if they are capable of finding the truth.

They cannot.

They are profiling, except instead of being done by a human being in the environment, they are being done by a human being programming software, and the programmer cannot even know all the possible actions/outcomes the software will give him.

Profiling threats is a start, not an end or even a middle. Because it's humans using it, it will be abused.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame on...

Considering cell phone metadata was being used to justify murdering people with drones outside of the USA, and we're now watching the establishment turn that apparatus on america because the establishment is racist irrational and neurotic ...

It will probably be similar to how the intel apparatus written to snoop on all of the USSR was turned on us after 9-11 and bush said "this can never happen again." Except, this is being done by enforcement, but built onto the back of the fusion centers and google/fb/apple's private datamining efforts.

The only saving grace is that there is so much information that it cannot be humanly assessed and sorted. If you are decided to be a target by the government, you're screwed. When they start deciding irrational things are worthy of people being targets, it will get orders of magnitude worse.  Right now we are watching parents who go to PTA meetings be targeted by one of the enforcement branches, but that ... is understandable in terms of "political enemy fight." It's not remotely justifiable, but it is understandable.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here’s an amazing “pre-crime” tool:

When you arrest a guy for attempting to murder a woman by running her over with an SUV, and then you release him with no bail and hand him the keys to that SUV…
View Quote
I think a case could be made that at least certain kinds of attempted murder are capitol crimes in reality and should be treated as such.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Then they can be there waiting next time 20-80 thieves target a store.
View Quote

But they don't want to.

So that won't happen.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Will internet purchases be next?  If you buy a 2” x 8” nipple at Home Depot, and end caps at Lowe’s will that be a pipe bomb?  Or, is constructive intent grounds for a search warrant?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Will internet purchases be next?  If you buy a 2” x 8” nipple at Home Depot, and end caps at Lowe’s will that be a pipe bomb?  Or, is constructive intent grounds for a search warrant?
View Quote

I don't see why not.

If you carry the adult pacifier and pocket snitch and commit the 'crime'  of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can be subject to a search warrant:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2021/08/26/google-gave-feds-data-on-phones-located-at-kenosha-riot-arsons/
Google geofence data was given to police from two arson sites during the Kenosha riots, though there were individuals trying to stop the fires within the vicinity. Scott Olson/Getty Images

A year after the Kenosha riots, following the police shooting of Black citizen Jacob Blake, Google has handed over data on any phones that were located in the vicinity of two arson attacks during the public disorder, even though some protesters were trying to stop the fires.

In the latest example of police applying for a so-called digital dragnet, just-unsealed court orders reveal that Google was ordered to hand over data from users of any of its location services who were near a Kenosha library and museum that were set on fire during the August 2020 unrest. Known as geofence or reverse location warrants, they asked Google to scoop up information on any device at the sites over a period of two hours at the public library and 25 minutes at the Kenosha Dinosaur Discovery Museum.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#24]
It's called "thought-crime" and I am sure others have stated it's to be used against the currently law-abiding conservatives engaged in spreading wrongthink, I mean critical thinking. It won't be used against the FSA going into jewelry stores in groups of 50+ to collect reparations.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Wow that one on the upper right had some serious boobs.

Hey. I have my priorities.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Do we get Arfcom profile flair if so designated?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

With you.

With you.

Hell no. The "patriot" act is a deliberate misnomer that has done nothing but undermined the Constitution and everything it stands for. According to the GAO exactly zero successful prosecutions have been made with evidence collected in accordance with the act. And yet we have leaks from government saying the government themselves is collecting information and acting in excess of the authority granted by this and subsequent "anti-terror" acts. All the department leaders have been proven to have lied in front of Congress, with no accountability, about their agencies' effectiveness under this act, as well as their adherence to the law.

We have surrendered a LOT of liberty and gained exactly ZERO safety.

That's not even in the "patriot" act there, "patriot." And how would you know the American is "good" without evidence beyond all reasonable doubt? Your opinion? Because if so, you're on the other side, and BLM will welcome you.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's called "thought-crime" and I am sure others have stated it's to be used against the currently law-abiding conservatives engaged in spreading wrongthink, I mean critical thinking. It won't be used against the FSA going into jewelry stores in groups of 50+ to collect reparations.
View Quote

Thought crime is a very old world thing too.

You can see the evils of government enforcing against wrongthink by looking into the past.

Back when we had sacral states (sacral is not theocracy), people were routinely punished for wrong think under the term "heresy," and it didn't really take its final death stroke until roger william's day. People in government have been trying to revive that monster ever since.

You can see this in the recent past as political correctness, and you can see it right now in the attack on conscience protections and the attack on (wrongly named) religious exemptions (which are just another set of conscience protections).
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ll take things that glow and are unconstitutional for $1000 Alex!

ANTIFA and BLM have proven beyond any doubt by their words and their actions that they are a primary threat to the American people and the American way of life as well as it’s freedoms! They are DOMESTIC TERRORIST GROUPS and would have been classified as such however a USURPER took control of the presidency and has aided these groups instead of condemning them! This unholy alliance is a direct violation of the Constitution of the United States and it must be eliminated! I am not afraid to say this and it is my Constitutional right to voice this truth! The FBI and Justice Department have shown their willingness to oppress and harm American citizens in the name of the current regime that has also shown it will completely destroy America and its people to appease a minority of criminals and reverse racist socialists!
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok.

Just wondering why you didn't answer the question I asked but rather chose to give examples?  

Here, let me help you. Fill in the blank….A terrorist is a person who _____________________

Who's Uncle Ben, BTW?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ok.

Just wondering why you didn't answer the question I asked but rather chose to give examples?  

Here, let me help you. Fill in the blank….A terrorist is a person who _____________________

Who's Uncle Ben, BTW?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Who's Uncle Ben, BTW?

The question can't be coherently answered without moral assumptions underlying it.

War is using violence to achieve some or the other end ... including political ones. Which almost exactly fits the definition of terrorism.

You have to know in reality ... when and for what violence is a morally justified action. Something our governments are particularly incapable of. They are good at making stuff up and clubbing people with it though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#32]
But blue line is friend?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Why does this matter when they don't even arrest people after they've actually committed an offense?

"We think you're going to commit a crime and we're still not going to arrest you."

The criminals have received the memo.

Trust me on that one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here’s an amazing “pre-crime” tool:

When you arrest a guy for attempting to murder a woman by running her over with an SUV, and then you release him with no bail and hand him the keys to that SUV…
View Quote

Yup.  There are plenty of data points already available.

Hell, the system doesn’t care about people who have already committed multiple crimes, why would they bother trying to predict the next person they are going to run through the revolving door?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I thought the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Minority Report

I thought the same thing.

How is this any different than when the feds got caught putting everyone who bought a motorcycle since 1992 in a criminal database because they were statistically more likely to commit a crime?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#36]
So they're going to catch all the joggers before they mass shoplift?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There's some program probation departments use that "predicts the chance at reoffending" through the use of questions, not trolling social media.

There was an old study that tried to make a connection between tattoos and criminality.

I bet if I had unrestricted access to Facebook I could look at the accounts of local criminals and predict that many of their Facebook friends are involved in drugs and theft
View Quote

Facebook Friends Lists are a fucking investigative goldmine. There are people in prison right now ID'd that way.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#38]
No other nation that I am aware of places law enforcement across international borders in an attempt to prosecute anyone for their nation's law.

As disgusting as child sexual abuse is, Thailand and Cuba are the nation's that should be prosecuting the perps. I think a foreign prison experience might send the proper message.

Our military should be hammering any terrorists.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No other nation that I am aware of places law enforcement across international borders in an attempt to prosecute anyone for their nation's law.

As disgusting as child sexual abuse is, Thailand and Cuba are the nation's that should be prosecuting the perps. I think a foreign prison experience might send the proper message.

Our military should be hammering any terrorists.

View Quote

We are not the only nation. 1st world nations have been doing it for some time.

Other countries have different laws, so banging a 12 year old is legal in other countries. Or there is no LE that can/will prosecute those cases. 16 year olds can be legal prostitutes in the DR. People love to take pictures, videos, and stream their sexual escapades which makes it easy for US LE to prosecute. If the pornography was legally produced in a country where there are no laws against it, wouldn't it be difficult to prosecute the US Americans for possessing or distributing it?

In order to stop the tourism of sexually abusing children, nations created laws to stop it. The nations where the sex tourism is booming have inadequate abilities to investigate and prosecute. They sure aren't going to pay to extradite someone either.

I don't agree with the border search antics that have come along with this though. That is pure exploitation of the reasonableness exception.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why does this matter when they don't even arrest people after they've actually committed an offense?

"We think you're going to commit a crime and we're still not going to arrest you."

The criminals have received the memo.

Trust me on that one.
View Quote
It matters because us stupid humans look at a supposedly precision instrument that is this software and it gives us such useful or nice clean outputs and presume it has to be right and we start *acting* as if it has to be right.  That's aside from the fact that the software itself will always be stuck on whatever the programming is - there's no there-there, no mind, no thinking - it can't adapt.

People will also slack off in the areas the software is used. "we have a tool for that, I don't have to work as hard at it."

It all combines up to deaden and pervert the real-world useful profiling.

Also there's the wee little problem of the fact that what's precrime today (stop and think about it, it's not "this might develop badly", it's 'pre-crime') is tomorrows "why are we just not arresting them before they do it?"  Our government does the same thing all the time - they just call it *regulation* ... trying to stop you from doing something that's actually wrong by stopping you from doing the things they think are precursors to doing that wrong.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 1:35:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I've got a busy day of comitting crimes tomorrow. I love committing crime. I ? crime.

There, that should be enough to test it out. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've got a busy day of comitting crimes tomorrow. I love committing crime. I ? crime.

There, that should be enough to test it out. Fuck them.
View Quote

Dibs on ammo.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
But blue line is friend?
View Quote

lol lol lol
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#44]
So we should just all commit crimes before we have the urge, right? That'll fool them!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#45]
TNW needs to start with big tech

And laterally MSM

end transmission

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:25:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Is it too late to delete the memes I've posted? Don't want to get pre-crimed for having a dark sense of humor.

Eh probably too late. I'll post more then. May as well go all in if they are going all Minority Report on us.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Are “ they” talking about us deplorables again?
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The troubling part is that those problems are glaringly obvious and presently being demonstrated in real time.  Who decides who is a person not entitled.  That who determines everything.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#49]
There’s no way they keep this up because every time they do a machine learning for crime it becomes “racist” and they can’t use it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#50]
You can bet every politician has his site blocked, they would be arrested at birth.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top