Yep.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My body is ready for increased bacon and porkchop consumption.

Unfortunately this. We could absolutely 100% wipe out the vast majority of feral hogs inside the USA in a year or less. No limit no permit no tags no restrictions - have at it. They'd disappear in a damn hurry.
View Quote

There’s no season, no limit, no restrictions on them in Georgia and they’ve been here for centuries.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There’s no season, no limit, no restrictions on them in Georgia and they’ve been here for centuries.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My body is ready for increased bacon and porkchop consumption.

Unfortunately this. We could absolutely 100% wipe out the vast majority of feral hogs inside the USA in a year or less. No limit no permit no tags no restrictions - have at it. They'd disappear in a damn hurry.

Hell, last time I looked even California had no season restrictions, no bag limits, though they're still "game" and not "pest" animals so tags are required...at something like $5/tag, with no limit.

Hogs are still a problem.

Though I'll admit it's been a few years since I checked (<10)
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
If they’re like the European boars I’ve seen on videos, .223/5.56 ain’t going to do.
They don’t usually get all that big here but the larger ones can eat .223 SP’s and ballistic tips are like using a fly swatter.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you have any idea what the wild hog population is here, and how quickly they reproduce?  In terms of eradication, that pile of pork is nothing.  A single group of sows can replace every one of those pigs within a year.
View Quote

I’ve got a prettty good handle on population, repro rate ect. I am aware they can be replaced in a year.
@defenderao
@lilmac25

Help me out here boys
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]

That warrants the purchase of a drone with thermal and an electric dirtbike to run them down
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One thing that hasn't proven effective is recreational hog hunting, which disperses sounders and causes some pigs to go nocturnal, making them harder to locate and remove. Brook says the most important thing people can do is to alert authorities. "Report any sightings of wild pigs," he says. "There's a Squeal on Pigs program in the U.S. and Canada. You can also report wild pigs to someone like your local game warden. Early detection and action are critical."
View Quote

Bullshit... hunters can make a huge dent to say the least if state and federal government regulations get out of the way.

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you have any idea what the wild hog population is here, and how quickly they reproduce?  In terms of eradication, that pile of pork is nothing.  A single group of sows can replace every one of those pigs within a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh....not even close.  Trying to eradicate feral hogs via hunting is like trying to eradicate cockroaches by stepping on them when they run across your kitchen floor.  Don't get me wrong, I hunt hogs every chance I get (it's fun and they're delicious), but it's not an effective means of eradication...not by a long shot.

Respectfully disagree…
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467317/96FCC95B-BFDE-4781-BB6A-2D57EDA69E48_jpe-2679608.JPG

Oh boy
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Surprised this plague doesn't have Chinese origins.

Put a bounty on them and have at it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hell, last time I looked even California had no season restrictions, no bag limits, though they're still "game" and not "pest" animals so tags are required...at something like $5/tag, with no limit.

Hogs are still a problem.

Though I'll admit it's been a few years since I checked (<10)
View Quote

You can shoot them at night here with lights or night vision equipment and we still can’t kill them all. There’s lots of places they can go that’s just inaccessible. Places where the woods are so thick you can’t walk.
They sure are fun to shoot at though. Fortunately my employment situation allows me lots of hog shooting permission. If I didn’t have to work for a living, it’s all I would do every night.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’ve got a prettty good handle on population, repro rate ect. I am aware they can be replaced in a year.
@defenderao
@lilmac25

Help me out here boys
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@defenderao
@lilmac25

Help me out here boys

There are hunters in this thread. And there are theorists.

When the haul in the picture is a week, and not an annual, some might be able to see differently than their current theorist minds allow.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Gross.

I should get thermal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Helicopter pig hunts .
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@defenderao
@lilmac25

Help me out here boys
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@defenderao
@lilmac25

Help me out here boys

Then you know (or should know) that photo represents absolutely nothing.  You could kill that many every day for a year and it would amount to less than 1.5% of the current estimated population of wild hogs in TX.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Lol wish I could find a video.

Simpsons did it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bullshit... hunters can make a huge dent to say the least if state and federal government regulations get out of the way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing that hasn't proven effective is recreational hog hunting, which disperses sounders and causes some pigs to go nocturnal, making them harder to locate and remove. Brook says the most important thing people can do is to alert authorities. "Report any sightings of wild pigs," he says. "There's a Squeal on Pigs program in the U.S. and Canada. You can also report wild pigs to someone like your local game warden. Early detection and action are critical."

Night shooting here is what keeps them somewhat in check. Individuals killing 100+ a year makes a difference.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Well the wolves will eat well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome.

As a nightvision shooter, I’m pretty excited about these prospects.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Surprised this plague doesn't have Chinese origins.
View Quote

It's pigs and not rotten bat soup man.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When the haul in the picture is a week, and not an annual, some might be able to see differently than their current theorist minds allow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@defenderao
@lilmac25

Help me out here boys

Sorry, but the numbers don't give a shit about your "Me great white hunter" delusions.  I'm a hunter, BTW...I just happen to also have a grasp of basic math.  If you killed that many hogs EVERY week it would take you 450 years to get through just the current static population.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most of those were taken with traps.  Traps never sleep, never stop and have no remorse...
View Quote
Trapping is waaaaaay more efficient at actually putting food on the table.
People don't have time to hunt when there's crops and livestock and firewood and so on to deal with.
If anyone is serious about prepping for the "zombie apocalypse", learn trapping.

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Citizens!  Arm yourselves.  Defend our border from those Canadian swine!  
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sorry, but the numbers don't give a shit about your "Me great white hunter" delusions.  I'm a hunter, BTW...I just happen to also have a grasp of basic math.  If you killed that many hogs EVERY week it would take you 450 years to get through just the current static population.
View Quote

Technically you’re right . If I killed that many every week it wouldn’t do shit.  If more folks were good at it, it would put a big dent in it. Like to extinction.

I will concede that it unlikely, because townies that claim to be “great white hunters “ are really just internet warriors that suck at being in the woods and killing stuff .
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hunting them at night, under thermal/NV in Montana sounds like a fucking blast. Have rifle, will travel.
View Quote

This!

Oh I didn’t draw an elk tag this year? Who’s up for some fly fishing and night hunting hogs!?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#28]
If they come east I could probably shoot them off the back deck.  Pretty rural here and very close to the Canadian border.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#29]
We're gonna have to get PSA making some fancy new rounds for the new Canadian hogs. And make sure they sell them in bulk
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Cool
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Then you know (or should know) that photo represents absolutely nothing.  You could kill that many every day for a year and it would amount to less than 1.5% of the current estimated population of wild hogs in TX.
View Quote

Thought some about what you said . Have you ever worked with the state on population density studies, or their “estimates on damages” and how they come up with the figures?

For the record, I hope the super pigs come down from Canada through Wisconsin.  I have no doubt those folks can find a way to drink beer in the frozen tundra and find a way to kill pigs .  Also feel like they’ll drink too much, and several super pigs will slip through the cracks, and eventually make it to texas .they’ll breed with ours .   At that point in Time the pigs will take over the world. The only natural enemy they have will be skynet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Excellent news!    Now those pig-greedy Texas ranchers can’t bogart all the pigs.
View Quote

But muh guide fees
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Super BBQ.  Hopefully Eastern NC style.

No stupid red shit BBQ.

No bun sandwiches.

No disgusting slaw.

View Quote

PREACH IT!
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This!

Oh I didn’t draw an elk tag this year? Who’s up for some fly fishing and night hunting hogs!?
View Quote

I  don’t know why they’re not up there with y’all yet .  The entire Midwest /cornbelt seems like buffet .

There has been serious conversations , behind closed doors, about soil quality/pesticides used and impact on grub worms ect.  Basically they get starved from primary food source once the hit legit row crop country .

ETA  anybody here row crop in Arkansas?  Care to chime in?  Missouri ain’t that much further north, and it’s barely a problem there. But it is, in my observation, much more serious about row cropping /fertilizing/pesticides ect .  I could be wrong so feel free to correct me

Long live super pigs!
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@defenderao
@lilmac25

Help me out here boys
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@defenderao
@lilmac25

Help me out here boys

Tim knows.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Technically you’re right . If I killed that many every week it wouldn’t do shit.  If more folks were good at it, it would put a big dent in it. Like to extinction.

I will concede that it unlikely, because townies that claim to be “great white hunters “ are really just internet warriors that suck at being in the woods and killing stuff .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I absolutely resemble that remark. And it hurts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Humans once thought carrier pigeons were so numerous that humans could never hunt them into extinction.  It is the same with feral hogs.  If farmers, ranchers, government really wanted them hunted into extinction, it wouldn't be all that difficult.  However, there are so many restrictions put on where, and when they can be hunted, that they will continue to be a problem.

The destruction that feral hogs cause is real, and the restrictions landowners put on those who would like to hunt the hogs are just as real.  I understand that landowners don't want idiots shooting their prize cattle or otherwise wrecking their property...so they get feral hog damage along with all the restrictions they put on hunters.

I have no doubt that feral hogs could be hunted into extinction if government, farmers, and ranchers really wanted them eradicated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why is Texas unable to deal with its pig problem?
View Quote

Too much land, too few shooters, too many pigs, mindset.

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#39]

We don't have 15,000 wild hogs in CT.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#40]
As if I needed a reason to get a 10mm pistol for camping in Southeast Ohio
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We don't have 15,000 wild hogs in CT.
View Quote

If the govt say you have them, you have them .  They’re geniuses, and masters of their craft .

I’ll give you an example.  Years ago we were trying to kill some pigs for a guy . He called and said don’t come out Tuesday or Wednesday, the state was there do a research project.  The subject was steel shoot vs lead shot effectiveness on doves .  The concluded that the avg hunter was no more effective with lead shot . It took 5 shots with lead, and 5.5 shots with steel to kill a dove . They spent almost 80k for this 2 day study. They concluded that since lead really wasn’t effective, the state should mandate steel .  I could’ve saved them money and suggested that
1. Most folks suck at shooting, and lead vs steel argument wasn’t the problem
2. Outlawing beer and or whiskey would be better for the environment than trying to outlaw lead shot for general public
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Author is geographically challenged, or those pigs can really swim.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Uh....not even close.  Trying to eradicate feral hogs via hunting is like trying to eradicate cockroaches by stepping on them when they run across your kitchen floor.  Don't get me wrong, I hunt hogs every chance I get (it's fun and they're delicious), but it's not an effective means of eradication...not by a long shot.
View Quote

Yep
Their breeding cycle is a genetic win
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Still can be hunted out of existence.
View Quote

Go right ahead, killer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Shoot. Skin. Sausage.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#46]
quick google...  Female hogs can breed at as young as 6 months (it is dependent on size, so better food, faster breeding), average litter is 4-6 pigglets.  In theory they can have 3 litters in 14 months - but 1-1.5 is more common.  Still, if the food is available, 1 sow can have 30 (or more) decedents in 1 year.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@defenderao
@lilmac25

Help me out here boys

It certainly makes the AO leaner.  Then they run to your area.  What have you done?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Farmers and ranchers are still gonna sell hunts on their property. If they were truly a problem they’d be paying to have them removed
View Quote

Help US. The wild boars are killing are livelihood !! That will be a thousand dollars to hunt here sir plus 50 dollars for parking.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:23:40 AM EDT
[#49]
I know I really don't want them here in Minnesota, but...
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:27:15 AM EDT
[#50]
So does this drastic increase in available food resources mean the Bigfoot populations will now be able to increase proportionately?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top