Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just came back from a weekend in Portland Oregon, with my Gf as we make an annual trip for food and beer.  A few things I noticed as we galavanted about town.

1.  Almost every local shop had signs up saying "any race, any color, any religion, any gender is welcome here". But the place has to be 90% white people.

2.  In the same shops there would be bags, posters, shirts etc that said "read, rise, resist" or "vote, rise, resist"

3.  I noticed was how many women AND men had their hair dyed green or blue.  Many of the older women with colored hair were single or lesbian.

4.  It has been a year since I was there last and the homelessness seems to have multiplied 10x.  So many tent cities, panhandlers and makeshift shelters.  Along with the smell, holy moly the smell.

5.  Many of the "men" around the area all look very defeated, weak and with eye contact have the look of a domesticated animal.  No spark or drive.

My gf and I used to love going there for the food, beer and atmosphere but she wants to find a new destination after this weekend.  Wtf happened to Portland?
View Quote
I've found the city less attractive after visiting there for like 12 years, and I've been exploring the falls south of the city all the way to Oregon City.

Not to mention Astoria, Mt Hood, etc.

_
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Other than Matt’s BBQ, I have no other reason to go to Portland anymore.   It’s just a place I drive through to get where I’m going.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So there aren't decent people in the downtown Portland area?  None at all?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hitting a little too close to home, eh?
Not at all. My parents and sister/family live in the Portland area.  Downtown is a relatively large metro area downtown with all kinds of people - some worthless, some just fine.
Not true at all.
So there aren't decent people in the downtown Portland area?  None at all?
The narrative you're crafting here is that there is a comparable ratio.

That is not the case.

The "just fine" category of folk that live in downtown proper is a hyper minority.

So small, it may as well not exist.

ETA: Also, no it is not relatively large. It is a small, specific district.

Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The tolerant intolerant
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#5]
That fucking first post!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you ask them if they were single or lesbian? Or were you visiting lesbian bars/events?

Listening to their conversation bits while at restaurants/bars, seeing them hold hands, kiss, leaving establishments while holding hands, walking about town seeing them cuddle/walk as a couple.

What makes you an expert on determining if someone is defeated, weak and has no spark or drive?  Are you referring to the homeless population or the general population?

I wouldn't say I am an expert but previous jobs I have held and living life you learn to read people by their actions and as humans one can tell quite a bit just by eye contact alone.  The whole "the eyes are the window to the soul" rings true.  I am referring to the general population.

I am not saying there aren't good people there, I have met a few.  But then those were people who weren't from or live in portland.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#7]
All of these "Safe Space" signs in the store fronts feed the liberal's paranoia that "their people" are being oppressed, abused,  etc. If aliens came to Portland and saw those signs, they'd probably ask where the death camps are.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got back a few days ago from there, what a shit hole even the suburbs.
Driving in the scenery is shit thanks to the gorge fire from last year, that and
I noticed a lot of the good trees left are infected with gypsy moth all the way
from The Dalles to Portland. I grew up there in the 80s and periodically visit
every couple years or more. This time I could tell how much worse it got in
two years. That city and the way it was is gone forever. The day after I left
my brother had his work van stolen, he lives in Gresham.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a laughably pretentious, horribly overpriced shithole.

And that's by comparison even to other democrat urban strongholds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:10:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Good job OP for injecting money into that cesspool!

You say you enjoy the "atmosphere" then list a bunch of things that ostensibly bother you or make you say WTF.

Reassess your vacation destinations.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like OP got a good representative sampling of Portland. That's all I can add.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good job OP for injecting money into that cesspool!

You say you enjoy the "atmosphere" then list a bunch of things that ostensibly bother you or make you say WTF.

Reassess your vacation destinations.
View Quote
If you re read my original post I said we USED to love going there and how my GF requested a different location for our annual trip. She no longer feels safe there and I cannot be watching her and everyone else 100% and be in vacation mode.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:26:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I went to Portland to give a talk.  About the only thing I besides the talk was to shop at Powell's Book Store.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:29:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dude, you're lying to yourself. You've posted so much shit on here that has proved you fit in with the California mindset WAY TOO much. You're a lib. It's not an insult, but it's true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Dude, you're lying to yourself. You've posted so much shit on here that has proved you fit in with the California mindset WAY TOO much. You're a lib. It's not an insult, but it's true.
My voting record begs to differ with your "You're a lib" assessment.

Quoted:
By the way, "Kleberg county birth certificate.  Check."? So, if I was born on an Army base in Germany and moved back to the US at age 2, never to return, I'm a true and blue German?  No.
I like how you purposely ignored the rest of the post.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:33:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And in the 20 years since....?

You're trying too hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I lived there 69-82. Great place to grow up.  Problem started then, influx of people from California.
Oh definitely. CA was known for being hardcore liberal in 1982 for sure
Prop 187 passed after 1988.
And in the 20 years since....?

You're trying too hard.
I'm trying to hard to do what exactly?  Show me where I said CA politics hasn't gone bat shit crazy in the last 30 years.  That doesn't mean everyone in CA is a flaming liberal - despite what you think.  Have you spent time in CA or Oregon outside of the major metro areas?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:38:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The narrative you're crafting here is that there is a comparable ratio.

That is not the case.

The "just fine" category of folk that live in downtown proper is a hyper minority.

So small, it may as well not exist.

ETA: Also, no it is not relatively large. It is a small, specific district.

http://www.mappery.com/maps/Portland-Neighborhood-Map.jpg
View Quote
I didn't say Downtown Portland is a large geographical area.  And I didn't say there were a large number of "just fine" people living in the downtown area - I said there are "just fine" people there.

I asked the OP his qualifications and methods for determining the relationship status, sexual orientation and "manliness" of the people he saw - it's always amusing to read GD posts about all the betas, cucks or the pajama boy "men" that exist everywhere but here according to some.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I5 is Oregon’s anus, and it needs an enema
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:43:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did you ask them if they were single or lesbian? Or were you visiting lesbian bars/events?

Listening to their conversation bits while at restaurants/bars, seeing them hold hands, kiss, leaving establishments while holding hands, walking about town seeing them cuddle/walk as a couple.

What makes you an expert on determining if someone is defeated, weak and has no spark or drive?  Are you referring to the homeless population or the general population?

I wouldn't say I am an expert but previous jobs I have held and living life you learn to read people by their actions and as humans one can tell quite a bit just by eye contact alone.  The whole "the eyes are the window to the soul" rings true.  I am referring to the general population.

I am not saying there aren't good people there, I have met a few.  But then those were people who weren't from or live in portland.
View Quote
How large of a town/city do you live in?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#19]
There used to be a nifty wine shop with a cigar bar in the back. It was a couple blocks from Powell's Books.

Portland was kind of sketchy in the late 90s, early 2000s when I lived there. Lots of homeless teens even then. There was an old school XXX cinema across the street from my school, along with 100 strip clubs. Mary's strip club was like something out of a movie set.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I was born in Portland but grew up across the river in Vancouver. Lived on campus when I went to PSU, then worked downtown from 2004 to 2018. Now I'm moving to TX. Portland was always a shithole IMO, but only recently has it fully embraced communism, racism against white people, and violent tendencies towards anyone to the right of Marx. Occupy Portland showed everyone that the commie scum bags were in charge, and the homeless have flocked in and become ridiculously brazen ever since. It's entirely predictable to the sane, and it will get worse. More gun control will happen in  OR/WA, just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's a laughably pretentious, horribly overpriced shithole.

And that's by comparison even to other democrat urban strongholds.
View Quote
^^^^^^This
Wife and I have family there.  They always talk about the wonderful diversity there which is confusing since it is 80% white.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#22]
How large of a town/city do you live in?

The population is around 1.1mil, I used to live in a city of 250k, lived in south america for 4 years and I had a stint in the military stateside and worldwide. I don't have any special college degree, I have just been around different people from all over.  But anyone who has lived in a major metro area or close to one would have the same if not a better ability to read people.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:47:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
continue staring at me. It wasn't even a sexual stare, I think he could smell the MAGA scent on me.
View Quote
Did you pepper spray him?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Portland is a shithole

I hate it almost as much as I hate Seattle, and Olympia, so that’s saying something
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:19:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Liberals
View Quote
And a gay Mayor, that does not care about most people.

There is a reason for the saying "Keep Portland Weird"

I like it when Tom McCall was the governor and he came out and publicly stated "Don't Cali-fornicate OR", come and visit, leave your money but go back home!

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I live across the river and avoid PDX as much as possible. I was shocked at all the homeless camps that seemingly popped up overnight along I-5. Stepping in piss in a parking garage stairwell is real nice, too

I'd rather visit San Francisco, not joking.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:41:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I usually have a lot of fun there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I usually have a lot of fun there.
View Quote
I can understand that...

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:52:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Ex-wife has a crazy liberal aunt that used to live in Gresham, right next Portland. Her husband was a popular figure etc in the area. She loved it. She ended up moving last year because "Portland just isn't the same" as it was. Keep in mind that this woman has been committed before.

I've been been there a few times in the last year or so. It's a shithole. The only thing it has going for it is that it has more strip clubs than anywhere else in the US. No, I haven't been to any of them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Acropolis Steakhouse and the Pastrami Zombie food truck are 2 must stops.
Along with a couple other places that shall not be mentioned here................
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many of the older women with colored hair were single or lesbian.

Quoted:
5.  Many of the "men" around the area all look very defeated, weak and with eye contact have the look of a domesticated animal.  No spark or drive.
Probably by California standards Portland is a lumberjack overrun he man city.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#32]
It's been dumpy with a few small gentrified areas ever since I can remember.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I was there for the weekend in March and again for the day in June. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary to me, just plain old weird Portland. I think the OP saw exactly what he was looking to see.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah PDX area sucks for a lot of reasons, all of which are induced by extreme liberal thinkers, with the more moderate liberals going along for the ride.

And everyone knows it, but nobody wants to say it at the higher levels of govt.

Every true believer liberal thinks that everyone around them must certainly agree with whatever insane idea of the day is going around.  The people actually working?  Well nobody cares what they think...
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I wasn't looking for anything but the foodcarts and the bars we visit when down there.  My GF pointed this stuff out to me before I brought it to her attention and she is more accepting of the weirdness that is Portland.  I was just curious if this was observed by others who may frequent the area.  I'm not saying we didn't have fun, especially on our hikes, just odd to me the amount of change in a year or two.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:26:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Started the downfall with Nambla Adams.
Wheeler is the same flavored commie motherfucker as the pedo mayor was.  Abolished the sit or lay laws, which infected the city with tarp wrapped shit bag burritos anywhere anytime.  The mayor also allowed camping anywhere even on private property, used to be shit bag steve and the bum fuck crew had to be out by 7am but that even got over turned now it is shit bags all over hell and back.

Cuntiantor I mean Governor Kate Brownstain decriminalized the hard drugs. Now it is not uncommon to see junkies shooting up, tweakers smoking up or crackheads sucking the glass dick out in the open.

Fucking garbage, piles of shit both animal and human and rampant out in the open drug use.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My voting record begs to differ with your "You're a lib" assessment.

I like how you purposely ignored the rest of the post.
View Quote
I'm sorry your girl lost.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Because no other cities have beer and food?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you re read my original post I said we USED to love going there and how my GF requested a different location for our annual trip. She no longer feels safe there and I cannot be watching her and everyone else 100% and be in vacation mode.
View Quote

Just dye your hair blue and go in undercover.

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Liberals
View Quote
FPNI

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#41]
chicago new york detroit it's all on the same street....
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#42]
OP is way behind the times. I went to visit relatives in Vancouver, WA over 10 years ago and they took us to Portland on a shopping trip. Apparently, the only redeeming factor that Portland has is that the state of Oregon does not have a state sales tax. That city sucked back then. Full of hippies and vagrants. Even the bus made a "special" stop with the banner indicating that the next stop was "Skid Row." And it wasn't kidding. The bus stopped next to a Hobo encampment below the freeway. A young male walked on board with his bicycle.

We went on a couple day trip to the coast to Newport Beach. You can't swim there even in the middle of summer as it was way too cold. There was a cold breeze constantly blowing and the water was ice cold. In fact I ended up having to buy a wind breaker just to comfortably walk around town because of the cold breezes that were constantly blowing. After that trip I have no intention of ever going back to Portland, much less Oregon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#43]
I work in downtown.  I commute in at 0-dark-30 with the rest of the people that actually keep the city running.  There are a shit ton of homeless.  The cops aren't allowed to do much.  Someone can setup a campsite in front of a business and the cops can't respond for 24 hours.  Then they give the tertiary consumers that live there another 24 hours to leave.  Then they move down the street.  I'm hoping for a hard winter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Come to the Oregon Coast, OP. Good food, good beer, great beaches.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#46]
We hung out in eugene for a while to visit some of her family and the homelessness was a problem there as well.  It's like Sad Francisco and Portland are in a race to the bottom.  Any suggestions on a new place to frequent?  I already go to Idaho a few times a year so anywhere else.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We hung out in eugene for a while to visit some of her family and the homelessness was a problem there as well.  It's like Sad Francisco and Portland are in a race to the bottom.  Any suggestions on a new place to frequent?  I already go to Idaho a few times a year so anywhere else.
View Quote
Seriously - try the Oregon coast. Astoria has Fort George brewery and some decent food both downtown and on the water. Seaside has the aquarium where you can feed the seals and indoor bumper cars & tilt-a-whirl. Cannon Beach has a bunch of good food. Manzanita has golf and some good food. Tillamook has the Cheese Factory, a Pelican Brewing tasting room, Werner Jerky & Werner Brewing, Oceanside & Netarts have great beaches, some good food, and the Cape Meares lighthouse. Pacific City has the Pelican Pub and the new Cape Kiwanda Lodge that looks super swanky. There's a casino in Lincoln City, another lighthouse in Newport, and some amazing coastline between Yachats and Florence. You can drive on the beach in Pacific City and Florence, or rent a 4-wheeler or sand buggy. Kayaking, great salmon and steelhead fishing, ocean fishing day trips for salmon, bottom fish, or tuna. Crabbing that doesn't even require a boat near Wheeler. There is no shortage of stuff to do, eat, or drink.

Sure, we've got our share of hippies and flakes but also a bunch of loggers, dairy farmers, commercial fishermen and oyster farmers, and general salt-o-the-earth folks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Now I need to head downtown for a safari.  Out here in Clackamas and Happy Valley, it's normal folks.

Although, I do see a lot of tents by the highways, and the river.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Hippies
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
chicago new york detroit it's all on the same street....
View Quote
Pfft. Detroit is nothing like Portland.

I would know. I’ve been in both today.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top