Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Muh health care.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They actually should fire people they cant afford.  They need to pay their obligations before buying new things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not over my head, it's just the system just can't handle the percentage of pensioned and health care retirees VS working employees anymore.

They [company I work for] dumped the pension plan well over a decade ago for new hires and went to a 401K with match. They have changed the retiree health care numerous times. Initially they promised it until 65/SSI age. I doubt it'll get better with time and most retirees had 35+ years working, some closer to 40.
They should pay the pensions before hiring people they obviously cant afford.
Maybe they should fire all the employees of working age and just pay all the retirees.

The older 20 or so and out pensions are what is killing the system. No company or government entity can afford to pay for people to retire for around twice as long as they worked. Add in some that pay for spouse health insurance and you have a unsustainable retirement scheme that has now financially overloaded the system.

The chickens have come home to roost. I don't say it with glee or happiness it's just factual.

As a disclaimer, I'm a long term employee that has a pension [and I pay into a matching 401K to boot plus a HSA] but I'll likely take the lump sum option upon retirement and place it into a retirement fund over trusting the long term viability of the pension fund itself. The pension is funded quite well but employees of less  then 10-12 years of employment don't get any pension at all, just the 401K. Watching those employees with a 401K in a market downturn is depressing..............one reason why you never put all your eggs in one basket.
They actually should fire people they cant afford.  They need to pay their obligations before buying new things.
I'm not disagreeing with you there but politics will keep that from happening pretty much forever. To many chiefs, not enough indians has been going on since Ugg invented the wheel and Ogg taxed it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some animals etc..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before it’s over we will all be paying cash for Doctors and medicine and insurance will be unaffordable.

It is unrealistic for private citizens to work till they die to pay for health care for public employees who retire  at 55 years or less age. Some only working for 20 years and then collecting a life pension and healthcare.
It cannot continue.
Isn't that what the military has?
ARFCOM will defend that^^ to their dying breath though, lol.
Some animals etc..
“But that’s different”
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Off to a slow start but the penguin is present and I'm hopeful for an after-dinner rush of shitposting. Time will tell.
View Quote
The penguin is just here to dupe this in 24 hours.  Guaranteed turn around dupe time, Scout rifles for everyone!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If the agreement 25 or 30 years ago when they signed up was health premiums for life it should stand.  Why should they be different?  I don't know what your career was but did it entail the possibility of being killed every day?  I see your from WI like me.  In case you didn't know pension benefits are considered private property rights and can't be touched once you retire in our great state.
View Quote
It happens though.  Many, many years ago when I joined the Army, I was promised free dental and healthcare if I made a career out of it and stayed for 20.  They didn't honor their word.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
The military retirement system is managed properly and is not an inordinate burden to taxpayers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pure genius on the part of unions to get the IL Constitution amended to include verbiage that pension benefits cannot be diminished.

Plus the automatic 3% COLA every year was another genius move.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why the pension system is so in the red...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this... Buy your own f'n health insurance and stop expecting tax payers to pay for it. While we're at it, kill the taxpayer funded pensions and get a 401k like the rest of us.
The taxpayers are not on the hook for this as in California, Illinois, or other places where the public pension funding is built on wishes and dreams. Ohio's public pensions are required by law to remain solvent, and cutting benefits is what they are doing to remain so. This does not represent a hit on the taxpayers.
Pure genius on the part of unions to get the IL Constitution amended to include verbiage that pension benefits cannot be diminished.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why the pension system is so in the red...
Didn't the residents vote in the amendment?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The military retirement system is managed properly and is not an inordinate burden to taxpayers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they have an unlimited source of money.. for one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If that benefit was part of their employment then they should get it.
View Quote
Um no.  If the employer is not doing well financially then the terms/benefits of employment get changed.  Happens all the time.  Just because one works in the public sector does not make them special.

If your employer made grandiose promises that could never be delivered that is between you and the employer
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this... Buy your own f'n health insurance and stop expecting tax payers to pay for it. While we're at it, kill the taxpayer funded pensions and get a 401k like the rest of us.
The taxpayers are not on the hook for this as in California, Illinois, or other places where the public pension funding is built on wishes and dreams. Ohio's public pensions are required by law to remain solvent, and cutting benefits is what they are doing to remain so. This does not represent a hit on the taxpayers.

It happened back in 95 and I do not know the answer.  Found this tidbit:

The existing pension law took effect on July 1, 1995. After a 15-year phase-in period, the law requires the State to contribute a level percentage of payroll sufficient to bring the retirement systems’ funded ratios to 90% by FY2045.

The State’s funding plan defers a large portion of the required State contributions to future years, which has resulted in growth in the unfunded liability, the estimated benefits not covered by pension assets. Illinois pension funds have consistently ranked as among the worst funded of all the states, including in a recent survey by Bloomberg, which was based on FY2015 data.

The five funds’ total unfunded liability stood at almost $19.5 billion, with a combined funded ratio of about 52%, before the law took effect. As discussed here, the total unfunded liability was $126.5 billion as of June 30, 2016 and the combined funded ratio was 39.2%, based on the actuarial value of assets. Besides insufficient State contributions, the unfunded liability has also grown due to changes in actuarial assumptions, poor investment returns and benefit increases, according to COGFA.

The following chart shows the retirement systems’ projected total unfunded liability and combined funded ratio from FY2017 to FY2045. The unfunded liability is projected to keep growing through FY2028

Source We have a plan, lofl

ETA: There's a cut little growth chart that puts all fear to rest

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Let’s just hope your pension is still intact when you get there.

Mine was looking iffy as fuck (74% funded) so I pulled the eject handle with 11yrs in.
View Quote
Yeah that was a pretty good call.

We try and save like it’s not going to be there. I consider it a bonus if it is.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The existing pension law took effect on July 1, 1995. After a 15-year phase-in period, the law requires the State to contribute a level percentage of payroll sufficient to bring the retirement systems’ funded ratios to 90% by FY2045.

The State’s funding plan defers a large portion of the required State contributions to future years, which has resulted in growth in the unfunded liability, the estimated benefits not covered by pension assets. Illinois pension funds have consistently ranked as among the worst funded of all the states, including in a recent survey by Bloomberg, which was based on FY2015 data.

The five funds’ total unfunded liability stood at almost $19.5 billion, with a combined funded ratio of about 52%, before the law took effect. As discussed here, the total unfunded liability was $126.5 billion as of June 30, 2016 and the combined funded ratio was 39.2%, based on the actuarial value of assets. Besides insufficient State contributions, the unfunded liability has also grown due to changes in actuarial assumptions, poor investment returns and benefit increases, according to COGFA.

The following chart shows the retirement systems’ projected total unfunded liability and combined funded ratio from FY2017 to FY2045. The unfunded liability is projected to keep growing through FY2028

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll  just keep raising taxes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the next cash cow they will be eyeing for slaughter will be retirement income.  More people are moving out than in, more people are going on disability, businesses are leaving.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, it doesn't sound quite cricket to do this if an employee bases a decision to work for an entity with an express promise of lifetime health insurance, even after retirement, and then pull the rug after they fulfill their end of the bargain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Happens all the time in the private sector.
I worked for 37 years, now retired...my company provided health insurance goes up every year, and could be cancelled at any time.
Is it somehow different because I'm not a cop or FF?
I don't like what is happening to them, but why should they be any different?
If the agreement 25 or 30 years ago when they signed up was health premiums for life it should stand.  Why should they be different?  I don't know what your career was but did it entail the possibility of being killed every day?  I see your from WI like me.  In case you didn't know pension benefits are considered private property rights and can't be touched once you retire in our great state.
Yeah, it doesn't sound quite cricket to do this if an employee bases a decision to work for an entity with an express promise of lifetime health insurance, even after retirement, and then pull the rug after they fulfill their end of the bargain.
it happens all the time in private industry, and we don't get to retire after 30 years. if the money isn't there, it isn't there
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think the next cash cow they will be eyeing for slaughter will be retirement income.  More people are moving out than in, more people are going on disability, businesses are leaving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are going to tax retirees at a higher rate? Probably more are just going to leave.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, the system is managed within its budget and its outlook is healthy; it's not facing a brick wall like the state and muni pensions.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
AT&T did that to us years ago. They're called HRAs (healthcare reimbursement accounts).
View Quote
HRA and HSA accounts are exceptionally common in high deductible plans in the private sector....
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nope, the system is managed within its budget and its outlook is healthy; it's not facing a brick wall like the state and muni pensions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Currently the fund (I guess the DOD retirement fund?) is facing close to $800 billion in unfunded liabilities.

There is so much of a concern they are recommending major changes to the current system.

Report from Sept 2018
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I supposed to be outraged? Because I'm not.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't the NJ residents vote in Phil Murphy and his gun banning, illegal alien loving ass?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Before it’s over we will all be paying cash for Doctors and medicine and insurance will be unaffordable.

It is unrealistic for private citizens to work till they die to pay for health care for public employees who retire  at 55 years or less age. Some only working for 20 years and then collecting a life pension and healthcare.

It cannot continue.
View Quote
You didn't believe that socialism really works did you?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

old guys at the FD seem fairly common

It's not uncommon to see a 50-55 year old driving an engine for a FD

I suppose here we will see alot more police that age continuing to work so they don't lose their health insurance
View Quote
You see plenty of 50+ cops in NC thanks to our 30 year retirement
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Happens all the time in the private sector.
I worked for 37 years, now retired...my company provided health insurance goes up every year, and could be cancelled at any time.
Is it somehow different because I'm not a cop or FF?
I don't like what is happening to them, but why should they be any different?
What do you propose they do when the fund runs dry?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Currently the fund (I guess the DOD retirement fund?) is facing close to $800 billion in unfunded liabilities.

There is so much of a concern they are recommending major changes to the current system.

Report from Sept 2018
View Quote
I love it how Arfcom loves to bitch about police and fire retirements as being too generous but in the same breath will defend the 20 year military retirement like it’s a model system.

There is a reason they are pushing the BRS on us.

For the record, I am hoping to double dip on both the .mil and fire pension end.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol. So that’s why they are pushing the BRS on us right?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He's always on a roll, but, he's one of my favorite posters.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're on a roll tonight, BOSS.
He's always on a roll, but, he's one of my favorite posters.  
One of the best teeners
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Basically the stipend won’t keep up with the increase in health insurance premiums in the years to come.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
News to me that FF suffer from increased risk of testicular cancer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if private insurance policy pricing will be biased against firefighters given their testicular cancer rates from all of the shit they’re exposed to on the job.  Save lives then hung out to dry.  Kinda fucked up.
Did some side work for a career firefighter, said it was endemic among those he knew in that line of work.

Googled for backup and found this..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12594776/
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speak for your own state, the WRS system is in great shape.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#31]
They can get Medicare.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Did some side work for a career firefighter, said it was endemic among those he knew in that line of work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if private insurance policy pricing will be biased against firefighters given their testicular cancer rates from all of the shit they’re exposed to on the job.  Save lives then hung out to dry.  Kinda fucked up.

Name a cancer and firefighters are more likely to get it than the general public.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

lol. So that’s why they are pushing the BRS on us right?
View Quote
Most people don't retire from the military anyway.  BRS saved a small amount but doesn't represent a major change in military retirement liabilities-it was primarily instituted to appease people bitching about not getting anything if they got out before 20.  Remember that BRS still pays out at 2.4% (edit: might actually be 2.0%) of base pay as opposed to 2.5% of base pay for the old system.  But yeah, when DoD "listens to the troops" and gives them what they say they want, DoD will do it in a way that saves the bureaucracy money.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They can get Medicare.
View Quote
People who retire before they’re 50 can get Medicare?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#35]
A pension + healthcare thread.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Report from Sept 2018
View Quote
Again, no.  The fund is healthy and the "unfunded liabilities" is the amount held over before the fund was created, when military retirement came directly from the Treasury.  The "unfunded liabilities" will be paid off by 2025.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

old guys at the FD seem fairly common

It's not uncommon to see a 50-55 year old driving an engine for a FD

I suppose here we will see alot more police that age continuing to work so they don't lose their health insurance
View Quote
Welcome to everybody else's world. At least they will get a stipend to purchase.
It beats the system going broke.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Stop letting 40 year olds retire with full benefits.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
40? Don’t be dramatic. I have to be 48 to retire
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Double post
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
But they put their lives on the line every day..
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Fire/police jobs are a young mans game.

In the grand scheme of life that's not "old" but for police or FF it's damn near ancient!
View Quote
Dang BOSS

but you are pretty spot on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well they should run the plan right into bankruptcy, that will show them. They are trying to be responsible, and keep the pay solvent for retirees.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boo hoo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Eh, I'm just glad they're being responsible so the fund isn't bankrupt when I retire.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Boo hoo.
View Quote
It’s certainly not 40, like you’re saying

Poor bastards hired after 2013 have to be 52
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't want to see any more...
View Quote
Nobody cares.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They can get Medicare.
View Quote
I tend to agree with you on keeping this simple.  But since it seems you have never done these jobs I will help you.

People agree to these jobs for multiple reasons.  All the while knowing up front they are trading their health.  Nobody wants a medal that I know of.  But we would like to finish under the terms we originally agreed to.

I know now lots of peoples pensions have gotten screwed over.  Fire and police are not special golden boys.  But in the course of my career I have repetitively come into contact with chemicals and situations that have a cumulative effect on my health.

I dont expect you to understand if you haven't been educated on it.  Bottom line is these conditions can potentially make retirement years hard.  And those retirement years come earlier for most because their body gets used up.

So your medicare comment can be null and void for many as in their later years many can no longer pass the physical ability test.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#50]
If you are counting on any one entity to take care of you....

Be it the Government

A corporation

A single investment

even a single family member

you are truly fucked
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top