Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
What a bad design that is - that small stub piece of pipe is taking the entire brunt of that force, you can see it by how it cracked, most likely due to fatigue from continually flexing in that area.  The only way to fix that shoddy design is to replace that with something that can withstand the flexing.  It was probably an all diverse women design team that designed that shit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought they did daily inspections on these badass roller coasters! Or did they just pencil whip this one?
View Quote
Inspection probably consists of sending out an empty train and if it comes back to the
station, it's good to go.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Who knows when it failed?  Could've broken within seconds of Jimbob P. Public filming it on his $30 smartphone.
View Quote

JimBob probably prevented dozens of deaths had it led to a catastrophic failure and departure of the "cars" from the roller coaster.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Been nice to see a bungee cord and some 9 wire at the least.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy carp!!  
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
X-ray the whole thing
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe not.  Ever consider a drone with high quality video camera?

How did they put that plastic around it?    Can you move a "car" around and stop to look at it.   Extension devices with recording video camera?
View Quote

There are drone-mounted ultrasonic inspection rigs available.  The problem is that those welds are coated.  If they actually did inspections, they were likely only visual.  I doubt they were dragging a yoke up there for mag particle or doing dye-penetrant testing.  

I'd almost bet Carowinds will be looking for a few Level II inspectors in the next few weeks.  I might be interested in picking up some side work.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Coaster manufacturers frequently sell the same design around the world, and the amusement parks just dress it up to suit their needs.

Makes you wonder how many others just like it are installed around the world.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Coaster manufacturers frequently sell the same design around the world, and the amusement parks just dress it up to suit their needs.

Makes you wonder how many others just like it are installed around the world.
View Quote

That looks like the other joints so I would imagine they have a template to do the torch cuts on the fishmouth .  A lot we don't know on their procedures ,  filler wire,  grinding and epoxy paint could cover up some bad weld .    Main problem looks to be the steel used in the vertical pipe column ,  complete shear failure.    Would assume not enough square inches of material and not high enough on the psi rating of said steel .    Dynamic load estimate would seem to be the culprit .  A semi educated guess .
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Yes it is. It's by far the most intense coaster in the park. I'm not afraid of heights but that one bothers me a little.  We have season passes and we were planning to go Saturday but decided it would probably be really crowded and hot so we decided to something else instead. Now I'm wondering if the other coasters are safe to ride.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#12]
That was pretty scary. I wonder how many people,even after being told by others of the crack, still went on the ride.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Carowinds is a dump.  This doesn’t surprise me one bit
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That was pretty scary. I wonder how many people,even after being told by others of the crack, still went on the ride.
View Quote

Next big thing in thrill coasters: track supports with springs and sliding rails attaching them to the tracks, with covers making them look like the attachment is supposed to be solid but has broken and started flexing when the cars go by.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Still safer than a trip to the Titanic.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That looks like the other joints so I would imagine they have a template to do the torch cuts on the fishmouth .  A lot we don't know on their procedures ,  filler wire,  grinding and epoxy paint could cover up some bad weld .    Main problem looks to be the steel used in the vertical pipe column ,  complete shear failure.    Would assume not enough square inches of material and not high enough on the psi rating of said steel .    Dynamic load estimate would seem to be the culprit .  A semi educated guess .
View Quote

The weld didn't fail.  The fucking pipe broke due to fatigue.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#17]
'oops'
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't surprise me to find the fatigue crack initiated at the weld.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like they cut into the column to fit the brace. It looks to me like it broke right along the weld, so the weld could be a factor.  For a setup like that, they should have just coped the brace and welded it to the column.  Better yet, extend the connecting plate further down the column and weld the brace to that.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#20]
That's not a crack . . . that MF is broken ! ! !
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

my guess is to keep rain water out while they plan the fix. Nothing like repairing to corrode from the inside out
View Quote

My guess is they will replace the whole piece from flange to flange.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
that'll weld up.....
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My guess is they will replace the whole piece from flange to flange.
View Quote

Someone should photoshop that area with a hodge podge of metal welded and JB Welded on.  Then bondo, duct tape and Flex Seal.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What a bad design that is - that small stub piece of pipe is taking the entire brunt of that force, you can see it by how it cracked, most likely due to fatigue from continually flexing in that area.  The only way to fix that shoddy design is to replace that with something that can withstand the flexing.  It was probably an all diverse women design team that designed that shit.
View Quote

Not in any way possible.  It would have never made it past the kickoff meeting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's not a crack . . . that MF is broken ! ! !
View Quote

Yeah. Watching the coaster go by settles that.

Scary.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 2:11:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 2:50:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shit Chinese steel. Road that coaster end of last year.
View Quote

I was most likely broken (Cracked) then.  

I am concerned for the state of the other rides.  For those who don't know, Carowinds is the coaster king in the south.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Glad they found it.  Also.sgows there was some added design margin in the rest of the structure to sustain the loads.   The location of the crack makes me wonder if the area wasn't properly annealed after welding and was overly brittle and eventually had a fatigue crack.  I bet the crack initiation site is near the crotch of the two round tubes that come together.

Tough joint to get right and to weld.
View Quote

"They" didn't find shit.  A dad in the parking lot waiting on his kids saw it.  The park inspectors missed this huge failure.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’m not a roller coaster designer or engineer but I did want to be one as a kid. I feel like they designed this backwards. There’s nothing really supporting where the force from the track is being pushed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/286798/1E49775E-BFC3-478E-99CA-CCD635C47602_jpe-2870744.JPG
View Quote

I thought the same thing.  It seems odd that it is constructed like that.  I wonder if the footprint underneath limited the design.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
that'll weld up.....
View Quote

Little bit of duck tape and she'll be good as new.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Another victim of global warming.

View Quote

I'd bet Elon Musk, or maybe the Russians.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Just more white supremacy causing failure of amusement park rides.

This crack will affect people of color and members of underserved communities hardest.

View Quote

This. Truly a tragedy for those with the least privilege.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Wonder who the designer and contractor are since they should be very happy that right now it's warranty work not a wrongful death claim.

Probably a mixture of limitations of design for the load factor combined with cheap steel and the next question would be the weld quality and inspections.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wonder who the designer and contractor are since they should be very happy that right now it's warranty work not a wrongful death claim.

Probably a mixture of limitations of design for the load factor combined with cheap steel and the next question would be the weld quality and inspections.
View Quote

I imagine these things are built with enough margin that they aren't immediately in danger of a fatal accident after a failure like this, but continuing to run the ride in that condition would wear out the surrounding track and supports resulting in a far more expensive repair job, and eventually a fatal accident if ignored long enough.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Show your students the moment at the truss intersection due to the offset load.

The two questions we'd want to know is when the  crack was visible, the the critical length, then the time to grow to to the essential failure seen.

A crack has been visible for a while, but not from the ground.  I wonder whether an operator would look at the support bracket joints .

This is a typical detail that induces secondary moments that are overlooked or ignored.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't surprise me to find the fatigue crack initiated at the weld.

Show your students the moment at the truss intersection due to the offset load.

The two questions we'd want to know is when the  crack was visible, the the critical length, then the time to grow to to the essential failure seen.

A crack has been visible for a while, but not from the ground.  I wonder whether an operator would look at the support bracket joints .

This is a typical detail that induces secondary moments that are overlooked or ignored.

Indeed. I give a problem with almost that exact offset on a slightly different structure they semester, but most students miss it, even after having it on an assignment. For some reason, they're just terrified of basic vector mechanics.

This might actually be a fun problem to give them. Same problem, essentially, but a slightly different part geometry. Maybe they'll actually try because roller coaster .

If I could get some grad students to take my design course, it would be fun to put a small crack at different orientations to the load and compare the effects.

As low frequency as the cyclic loading is, I do wonder how long the crack took to grow. This is a case where they will probably be able to tell pretty actually where and when the crack initiated. Hopefully it translates to an inspection of the remaining members, especially assuming they've now been overloaded.

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The video is just frightening - the amount of shift in that piece is very large.
View Quote

It’s not a crack, it’s a separation.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The video is just frightening - the amount of shift in that piece is very large.

To be fair, I'll bet there's a crack at the base of that being now that there's a separation at the top
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It looks like they cut into the column to fit the brace. It looks to me like it broke right along the weld, so the weld could be a factor.  For a setup like that, they should have just coped the brace and welded it to the column.  Better yet, extend the connecting plate further down the column and weld the brace to that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some stiffeners on the outside part of the vertical member opposite the brace would help immensely.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Yowsas!
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#44]

What’s the name of that show? I used to watch it a long time ago but I can’t remember it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've been to Six Flags twice. Been on a few roller coasters. I have no interest in riding one again. I dont do well with heights anymore, and if I were to die on a roller coaster my last thought would probably be "I fucking knew I should never have gotten on this thing."
View Quote

I used to go to Cedar Point in Ohio 3-4 times a year.   I refuse to go now.   Seen too many videos of shit like this.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Really good analysis, and broke exactly where it should have given the loads.   I know a lot of people are poo-poo-ing the steel, laughing at the park for bad inspections, etc.   Fact of the matter is this is the kind of thing to be expect in a high performance application where the engineers had to make a lot of compromises.  I thought his comments about inspection were spot on.  Short of being within 3 feet of that joint, which would require a lift of some sort or a pretty complex rigging off the main track, that crack is going to be really hard to see until it gets to the point that it was at.

My guess is that part of the "fix" is going to be some ladder rungs up those support posts where someone can do just that on a regular basis.    Also, the plastic wrap is probably there to preserve as much evidence as they can for inspection.  One of the first things the inspectors will look for is the crack initiation site to confirm the cause of the failure.   Was it in fact a poor weld?   Was it a material defect in the steel?   Was it just an overload / understrength situation by design?
View Quote

I would use binoculars.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Carowinds is a dump.  This doesn’t surprise me one bit
View Quote

Not really.  It’s a pretty nice, generally fun and safe.  I had season passes for many years and always had a good time taking the kids often.  And since moving back to WV i get season passes to Kings Island and is also very nice.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've been to Six Flags twice. Been on a few roller coasters. I have no interest in riding one again. I dont do well with heights anymore, and if I were to die on a roller coaster my last thought would probably be "I fucking knew I should never have gotten on this thing."
View Quote

Applies to tourist subs too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Thats why they's called "Thrill Rides".
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top