Page / 47
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Starlink ground stations -

https://i.redd.it/ldbf4cscelv41.jpg
View Quote

Hey Elon, I'm going to need you to put a ground station in the middle of NC, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hey Elon, I'm going to need you to put a ground station in the middle of NC, thanks in advance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Starlink ground stations -

https://i.redd.it/ldbf4cscelv41.jpg

Right? I'll happily give them the needed room on my property for $1/month. They can cover the utilities and the construction cost and I won't complain. Win-win.

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#3]
We dropped the shitty AT&T DSL and switched to TOC. It’s more expensive, but it’s at least 7x faster and way more reliable.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

VPN can be done on the device or router. I don’t recall if the 1120 even has the capability, it’s a pretty limited little modem.
View Quote

Yeah from what I remember playing with it I did not see the option.

I will have to look and see on my router. Its a TPlink cant remember the model number.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Sent Nolimit a email asking about the billing and they wrote me back within 3min and had me the correct amount to pay.

So far there customer service seems to be pretty good and service they render is great.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#6]
ost
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know the specifics of star-link?  

How to become a beta user?

What are equipment needs?  

I'm ready to go.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone know the specifics of star-link?  

How to become a beta user?

What are equipment needs?  

I'm ready to go.
View Quote

Nobody knows yet.

Prospectively service was going to begin being offered in the northern and north eastern most parts of the US and Canada in 2020. About two months ago I saw an article that said closed beta in 3 months with a more public one 3 months after that. No idea if it is on track or not, although launches appear to be.

Equipment has yet to be unveiled but they have said it will be an antenna type of device and look something like a UFO on a stick. I doubt the production version has been finalized yet or we would have seen it.

Don't expect it this year.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wow. It only took a day before your jinx ruined your service?

I can't tell if that means OTR is getting better or worse.
View Quote

Yeah and I'm totally lost.

I've had it for nearly 2 years now.

Up until yesterday, my AT&T sim card that I've had forever has been working just fine.

Last week I got a fedex envelope out of nowhere with new AT&T sim, not a T-Mobile sim. Inside is some vague letter about the "blue blast plan".

I don't even know what I'm supposed to do right now, I've just switched back to my DSL router.

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Up until yesterday, my AT&T sim card that I've had forever has been working just fine.

Last week I got a fedex envelope out of nowhere with new AT&T sim, not a T-Mobile sim. Inside is some vague letter about the "blue blast plan".

I don't even know what I'm supposed to do right now, I've just switched back to my DSL router.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remove old sim, install new one. Restart modem. If it works, great.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. It's not rocket surgery. At&t is killing the legacy plans so you have to switch to the new blast plan.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm thankful every day I  gambled the $300+ dollars (at the time no one knew whether they would stay working in a hotspot or cellular modem) and got my Mobleys. I did get two as they listed possible throttling at 22 gigs so that would given at least 44 gigs of high speed data (we were on a 10 gig sat internet plan at the time). As it turned out, as far as I know, we've never been throttled and the sims still work fine over three years later.

I posted the Mobley deal and bumped it at the time both in GD and the Urban Commandos forum.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks to whomever posted the Mobley AT&T deal back a year or so ago.
I grabbed one, paid in full.
Ported the SIM to my Netgear modem, and have been running unlimited data for $20 a month since.
I typically use around 180GB a month, no throttling.

I should have grabbed two, I need one for a vehicle.

I'm thankful every day I  gambled the $300+ dollars (at the time no one knew whether they would stay working in a hotspot or cellular modem) and got my Mobleys. I did get two as they listed possible throttling at 22 gigs so that would given at least 44 gigs of high speed data (we were on a 10 gig sat internet plan at the time). As it turned out, as far as I know, we've never been throttled and the sims still work fine over three years later.

I posted the Mobley deal and bumped it at the time both in GD and the Urban Commandos forum.

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I tried the new sim Yesterday... no internet. Sat in the modem all night.

Took it out today and put the old one back in.

Voila, internet is back.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Voila, internet is back.
View Quote

I had to factory reset my lb1120 modem, then it worked.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Voila, internet is back.

Same here, now I do it every time I swap sims.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still doesn't work.

I tried doing the vague "blue blast activation" thing on the website, I'm not even sure if I did it right. It's been over 24 hours and I haven't got an email, and it still says "on hold" on the order status.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#17]
My OTR legacy ATT plan quit yesterday, even though at the beginning of the year they told me I was good until my annual contract expiration in December. Fortunately I had signed up for the Tmobile switch back in March, activated it then switched back to the ATT chip due to faster speed after a storm hit locally, knocking out a tmobile link. Luckily the service quit after a long work day when I needed the speed. Tmobile back up and working but speeds vary depending on speedtest.net's server. 19Meg down 7 meg up after 8pm, this AM I'm at 10 meg down and 3-6Meg up.

Seriously looking at Visible now, tired of chasing an ATT reseller that doesn't burn me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We dropped the shitty AT&T DSL and switched to TOC. It’s more expensive, but it’s at least 7x faster and way more reliable.
View Quote

I've seen the TOC name a couple of times. Got a link?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#19]
sitting in a chat que currently because my blue blast plan suddenly stopped working
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
sitting in a chat que currently because my blue blast plan suddenly stopped working
View Quote

*waves

I'm in there too.  My pink garbage quit working.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

*waves

I'm in there too.  My pink garbage quit working.
View Quote

I am talking with them now...i've been waiting about 2 hours
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Update: OTR finally sent me the sim activation email today for blue blast and now it's working.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Update: OTR finally sent me the sim activation email today for blue blast and now it's working.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/197784/CF87688E-F934-4764-8513-96681A410DE1-1458987.png
View Quote

Holy fuckin shit!  Damn son...nice speed

Helpful tip for those on OTR, or probably any service. You get a better speed if you hardwire your modem to a real wireless router. I get between 10-15 Mbps from the blackhawk, and 35-40 from my TP-link router.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Helpful tip for those on OTR, or probably any service. You get a better speed if you hardwire your modem to a real wireless router. I get between 10-15 Mbps from the blackhawk, and 35-40 from my TP-link router.
View Quote

I've got a netgear lb1120 and it's hardwired to Google WiFi.

For it being 7PM, I'm impressed with these speeds.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/197784/99DE8194-4512-42B4-906F-A8DC14F713FA-1459074.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/197784/99DE8194-4512-42B4-906F-A8DC14F713FA-1459074.jpg

You must live in town or in the shadow of the tower. I’m plenty happy out here in BFE with 20-30mbps.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You must live in town or in the shadow of the tower. I’m plenty happy out here in BFE with 20-30mbps.
View Quote

I'm a few miles out of a small town, but yes there's a tower about 2 miles away.

My alternative is 6mpbs DSL... crazy as it sounds.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Starlink is now taking signups for interest in beta access.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is going to open up moving possibilities...more people are going to fan out once this is in place.

Hope they pick me for the beta test
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#30]
My AT&T sim also died. Back on TMobile. Not great but better than the alternative. Please oh please pick me Starlink.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is going to open up moving possibilities...more people are going to fan out once this is in place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know I won't get picked since I'm Southern Arizona.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm a few miles out of a small town, but yes there's a tower about 2 miles away.

My alternative is 6mpbs DSL... crazy as it sounds.
View Quote

Wow, I can see the tower and have direct line of sight from my back porch and I never saw speeds even close to that on at&t.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#33]
My OTR story of the week.
My wife wakes me up Tuesday morning about 4:30 saying we have no internet.  Like I’m supposed to do anything about it.  Sure enough we don’t.  So I wait aro until they open and get in line for the live chat.  I’m no. 25, with a 25 minute wait time.  Yeah right.  25 minutes turns into 1 hour plus.  I finally get connected with them.  They then proceed to tell me my blue legacy SIM card is no good.  It worked fine for a month and a half.  Anyway, they tell me they are shipping me a new one Fed Ex 2 day.  I get it Friday.  Plug it in and it works great.  
This morning my wife wakes me up (not at 4:30 thank God) and says we have no internet.  I unplug the mofi wait around for several minutes and plug it back in.  We have internet again.  So, am I going to get to do this every day?

I know, cool story bro.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My wife wakes me up Tuesday morning about 4:30 saying we have no internet.  Like I’m supposed to do anything about it.  Sure enough we don’t.  So I wait aro until they open and get in line for the live chat.  I’m no. 25, with a 25 minute wait time.  Yeah right.  25 minutes turns into 1 hour plus.  I finally get connected with them.  They then proceed to tell me my blue legacy SIM card is no good.  It worked fine for a month and a half.  Anyway, they tell me they are shipping me a new one Fed Ex 2 day.  I get it Friday.  Plug it in and it works great.  
This morning my wife wakes me up (not at 4:30 thank God) and says we have no internet.  I unplug the mofi wait around for several minutes and plug it back in.  We have internet again.  So, am I going to get to do this every day?

I know, cool story bro.
View Quote

If so, get one of these: https://www.controlbyweb.com/webswitch/
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, cool story bro.

You can set a nightly reboot directly in the mofi itself.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've been mostly happy with nolimitdata.  Pretty much the exact same speeds as we were getting with OTR before I jumped ship
View Quote
@Ohiogators

Hows things working out with nolimitdata? I'm close to pulling the trigger with them after leaving OTR. Are you being throttled after 100GB?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone tried any of the Verizon hotspot offerings for home use? They have the best signal in our area.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried any of the Verizon hotspot offerings for home use? They have the best signal in our area.
View Quote

Direct from Verizon? No they have horrible data limits. I get nearly 100mbps with my Verizon cell but no way would I use their hotspot. There are a couple resellers that supposedly can use Verizon but I’m skeptical about their “unlimited” claims too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Direct from Verizon? No they have horrible data limits. I get nearly 100mbps with my Verizon cell but no way would I use their hotspot. There are a couple resellers that supposedly can use Verizon but I'm skeptical about their "unlimited" claims too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Direct from Verizon? No they have horrible data limits. I get nearly 100mbps with my Verizon cell but no way would I use their hotspot. There are a couple resellers that supposedly can use Verizon but I'm skeptical about their "unlimited" claims too.

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@Ohiogators

Hows things working out with nolimitdata? I'm close to pulling the trigger with them after leaving OTR. Are you being throttled after 100GB?
View Quote

I don’t think so. I’ve noticed some random periods of slow speeds, but I think it was tower traffic.  I was running an lb1120 through my Wilson booster, but as of today I added another yagi and ran it directly to the modem. Getting great speeds (30 mbps+) now which are the fastest I’ve ever gotten since I’ve lived here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Quoted:

I don't think so. I've noticed some random periods of slow speeds, but I think it was tower traffic.  I was running an lb1120 through my Wilson booster, but as of today I added another yagi and ran it directly to the modem. Getting great speeds (30 mbps+) now which are the fastest I've ever gotten since I've lived here.
Awesome. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Well my no limit data has went out and been out since 3:00pm today.

Have sent a email and they have responded but still not resolved.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#44]
No limit seems to have found the issue.

they ask you to set up your apn with a b2b static and for some reason it’s not working.

Had a real person send me a email with instructions on how to correct the issue at 10:45pm which corrected the issue.

Far better customer service than OTR.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm finally done with OTR.. the service just isn't reliable. And their chat is always 100 people deep

I'm thinking of doing the 'contributor' level with Calyx. I'm assuming the MIFI 8000 will connect to my router and take an external antenna? IF the 8000 can do those things I see no reason to go with the more expensive option.

Nevermind, I see the contributor PLUS is the plan with the 8000 hot spot. Hopefully i can pass through connect to my router.

View Quote

@Honda4828

Did you sign up with Calyx?  if so, how is it working for you?  Did it pass through to your router?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@Honda4828

Did you sign up with Calyx?  if so, how is it working for you?  Did it pass through to your router?  

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm finally done with OTR.. the service just isn't reliable. And their chat is always 100 people deep

I'm thinking of doing the 'contributor' level with Calyx. I'm assuming the MIFI 8000 will connect to my router and take an external antenna? IF the 8000 can do those things I see no reason to go with the more expensive option.

Nevermind, I see the contributor PLUS is the plan with the 8000 hot spot. Hopefully i can pass through connect to my router.

@Honda4828

Thanks

@Deuskid

I Do not have calyx yet. I am actually going to be ordering from them on Thursday. I’m sure I’ll be able to pass through to my router. Our T-Mobile service with OTR has been working.... but son of a bitch it’s slooowwww sometimes... I swear they throttle that shit and limit streaming.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@Deuskid

I Do not have calyx yet. I am actually going to be ordering from them on Thursday. I’m sure I’ll be able to pass through to my router. Our T-Mobile service with OTR has been working.... but son of a bitch it’s slooowwww sometimes... I swear they throttle that shit and limit streaming.
View Quote

Thanks.  

Let us know what you think of it when you switch to Calyx.  

I'm looking for a unique solution and hope they can be it:  I spend 1/2 my time in the city and 1/2 at my farm.  I live by myself so only need internet wherever I am.  I'm hoping to buy to a hotspot that I move back and forth to my 2 places.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@Deuskid

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Honda4828

Thanks

@Deuskid

Streaming is throttled on the tmobile and at&t plans on OTR now. Netflix and Prime it's quite noticeable. When using apps like Kodi, CinemaHD, etc they cant really throttle, so...
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Streaming is throttled on the tmobile and at&t plans on OTR now. Netflix and Prime it's quite noticeable. When using apps like Kodi, CinemaHD, etc they cant really throttle, so...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Honda4828

Thanks

@Deuskid

I don’t get throttled on T-Mobile. Here is my speed at the moment, middle of the day on a holiday weekend.

I had to ask OTR to turn off “binge mode” which throttles you to 480p speeds, and they did it.
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top