Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:32:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Krytox would work fine. Lube-wise.
Inertia is not a problem either. You're either mag-booted to a deck, or you have a propulsion system with you. Other wise, every time you moved quickly, you'd go careening off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Now, consider
A. The moon (18% gravity, 0% atmosphere)
B. Mars (50% gravity, 3% atmosphere, depending on season)

In both cases, you can ignore the gravity and atmosphere, generally. It's still point blank, for all practical purposes, to the visible horizon. MAYBE some windage in a massive dust storm on Mars, but, who's going to be fighting then? Everyone will be huddled in habitats.

The real question, is defensive. The offensive weapons will be so easy it's laughable. But, just a nick in the self contained atmosphere bubble you're wearing is gonna be a kill, right now.

The real issue is self sealing suits, quick patches, shields and armor, etcetera.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank the Lord, at least one.
View Quote
Only problem I see is like another poster pointed out, lubrication.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:51:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Heinlein and Varley imagined ballons, for example, with a sticky patch. Floating around. You get holed, and the balloons, just filled with ordinary ship air, will start to drift towards the leak. When they reach it, the balloon pops and the string is blown out, followed by the patch, exactly like a heavy duty tire patch, blowing the stem out and the patch seals the leak. That's brilliant. I can imagine a suit with yet another layer, and some sort of space-slime layer. You get a small tear, the slime oozes out and solidifies as the plasticizers flash out. That's just one idea.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]
A Sci-fi movie could use with this rifle with few modifications.

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank the Lord, at least one.
Not an issue for half a century. Lubricant won't be cheap or ideal, but it will work.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Krytox. I already use it.
Here it is.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Polyperfluoralkoxyether-PTFE is the hi techest of high tech futuristic shit. I already use silicone based, non-petroleum lube on my stuff. Krytox takes that a step further. It's about 25$ an ounce but it goes incredibly far.
It's so inert it's unreal.

Back in the day I used to use teflon tape on ground glass joints for highly reactive reagents under high vacuum high temp reflux. Then DuPont came out with krytox. It was so brilliant. A leetle wee dab of krytox on the joint, and you can boil HI solutions for days. No change. <1Torr, highly reactive reagents at 130 C. No worry. Lube is not any kind of issue. Leave alone the near zero friction coatings.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
but what if you happened to be stationed in geosynchronous orbit over NY?
View Quote
I'm guessing Cuomo would spend a few million dollars of taxpayer money so that a couple of NY State Police could hitch a ride on a Soyuz to arrest them all for having too many bullets, not enough dildo grips and especially for possession of those double-plus-ungood bayonet lugs. Then he'd have a press conference and tell everyone that they were now safer...
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#10]
An aside, a general rule of thumb you should be aware of is that, generally, the more reactive the reagents, the more stable the products. Nitrogen is very unreactive. So nitrogen compounds tend to be unstable. Most explosives are nitrogen based. OTOH, fluorine is the most reactive element. Fluorine compounds tend to be very stable. Teflon is a fluorine compound. Polytetrafluoroethylene.
The noble gasses do form some compounds, as does gold. Many of them are incredibly unstable. There are a half dozen gold compounds so unstable they explode from a loud noise, or just because fuck it, I'm gonna explode now because fuck you, I didn't want to form a compound anyway.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Since zero gravity means weight doesn't matter why not a howitzer with the hubble telescope mounted on top of it?
View Quote
Equal and opposite reaction still applies DA
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok. Guns work just fine in vacuum. No external oxygen required.
Assuming microgravity, point blank is infinite, no velocity loss for any range, practically speaking. No bullet drop. No windage. It's pure ballistics and relative velocity. NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TRAJECTORY OF BULLET WEIGHTS. The only difference is time of flight, which for practical calculations, is a constant relative to velocity.

Issues:
1. You will need to set the sight, whichever you choose, to perfectly flat. No more setting zero with an assumed upward bore axis. Line of sight and line of bore will now be parallel.
2. Rather than figuring bullet drop, and windage for conditions, plus a moving target when applicable, now you need only figure relative velocity.

3. IMHO, tracers, 100% tracers, would be best for standard issue ammo. Tracers lead back to the shooter, so a delay burn is better. Say, ignition at 100 yards.
4. A highly variable, highly magnified scope would be nice, but really, a long burn tracer and iron sight would be even better. A 3000 meter burn would be great. Remember, bullet weight and ballistic coefficient no longer apply. Pack the tracer compound in there. Basically, if you can see it, you can hit it, virtually, forever. You can double the bullet length of a 5.56, use it all for extra tracer compound, and that measly 2200 MV is still 2199 fps at 3000 yards, in space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will gunpowder even combust in a vacuum?
Ok. Guns work just fine in vacuum. No external oxygen required.
Assuming microgravity, point blank is infinite, no velocity loss for any range, practically speaking. No bullet drop. No windage. It's pure ballistics and relative velocity. NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TRAJECTORY OF BULLET WEIGHTS. The only difference is time of flight, which for practical calculations, is a constant relative to velocity.

Issues:
1. You will need to set the sight, whichever you choose, to perfectly flat. No more setting zero with an assumed upward bore axis. Line of sight and line of bore will now be parallel.
2. Rather than figuring bullet drop, and windage for conditions, plus a moving target when applicable, now you need only figure relative velocity.

3. IMHO, tracers, 100% tracers, would be best for standard issue ammo. Tracers lead back to the shooter, so a delay burn is better. Say, ignition at 100 yards.
4. A highly variable, highly magnified scope would be nice, but really, a long burn tracer and iron sight would be even better. A 3000 meter burn would be great. Remember, bullet weight and ballistic coefficient no longer apply. Pack the tracer compound in there. Basically, if you can see it, you can hit it, virtually, forever. You can double the bullet length of a 5.56, use it all for extra tracer compound, and that measly 2200 MV is still 2199 fps at 3000 yards, in space.
Actually your projectile’s velocity would increase.  If your mv was 2200fps, you’d have a further acceleration phase from the tracer compound imparting thrust during it’s combustion.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:29:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Actually your projectile’s velocity would increase.  If your mv was 2200fps, you’d have a further acceleration phase from the tracer compound imparting thrust during it’s combustion.
View Quote
Not significantly. I did some jackass math, and came out around a foot or two over the entire burn. There isn't much specific impulse, because it evolves very little gas, and there's no nozzle effect.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#14]
In order to provide thrust, it has to be a reaction that evolves gas that flows away. Tracer compound is mostly an oxidizer and an alkali metal substitution. Heat and photons.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:43:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Absolutely. Yes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:45:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lever action rifle or revolver.

Because most guns won't cycle properly in space.
View Quote
How do you figure? A few thousand PSI against 14.7 or against zero, what difference is that?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lever action rifle or revolver.

Because most guns won't cycle properly in space.
View Quote
It's an AR, it probably won't cycle properly anyway.

kidding
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:50:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now, consider
View Quote
Mars gravity is 38% of Earth's.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mars gravity is 38% of Earth's.
View Quote
I don't get down in the weeds when I drink. But I enjoy being pedantic, too!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I just worked 24/48, so I'm dewinding and uncompressing. Yesterday's fun was a known schizo with a sledgehammer and pick/mattock yelling at people.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just worked 24/48, so I'm dewinding and uncompressing. Yesterday's fun was a known schizo with a sledgehammer and pick/mattock yelling at people.
View Quote
You managed to yell at people while wielding a sledgehammer for that long?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I wonder what configuration the military cooked up for the AR15s they planned to mount to  spaceplanes for disabling enemy satellites as part of the Dyna-Soar program during the 60s.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/wondering-what-the-u-s-air-forces-secretive-spaceplane-can-do-history-offers-clues-9b5a30ea7084

The Dyna Soar inspector would be backed off from the target satellite if the pilot judged it to be a threat. With the addition of a nuclear radiation detector and a mass measurement system, the pilot could determine whether the satellite in question was equipped with a nuclear power source or warhead. Mission time was up to 24 hours.

If the crew judged the target satellite to be an unhardened, non-nuclear target, the negation system to be used sounds quaint—a rifle. An AR-15, .223-caliber automatic rifle, to be exact.
The pilot wasn’t to simply roll the window down and take potshots at the satellite. Instead, the AR-15 was mounted to the sensor turret. The crew could fire it at the satellite from a range of 100 to 200 feet to damage solar panels, rocket motors and other delicate structures.
View Quote

Shuttle door gunner was close to being a real thing .
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:40:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You go ahead and strap yourself to a Howitzer and shoot it. Have fun with your TBI.

No gravity does not equal no inertia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need recommendations on the best of the best for combat in space. Actually shtf, no wait hd, eff it all of it. No budget here people. Any optics you think I should go with? What should I zero at? And go...

Joking aside, lots of potential up there.
Since zero gravity means weight doesn't matter why not a howitzer with the hubble telescope mounted on top of it?
You go ahead and strap yourself to a Howitzer and shoot it. Have fun with your TBI.

No gravity does not equal no inertia.
I’ve been right next to a 155, and I’m still goodish.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:44:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Now, consider

In both cases, you can ignore the gravity and atmosphere, generally. It's still point blank, for all practical purposes, to the visible horizon. MAYBE some windage in a massive dust storm on Mars, but, who's going to be fighting then? Everyone will be huddled in habitats.

The real question, is defensive. The offensive weapons will be so easy it's laughable. But, just a nick in the self contained atmosphere bubble you're wearing is gonna be a kill, right now.

The real issue is self sealing suits, quick patches, shields and armor, etcetera.
View Quote
So you're saying that birdshot is finally going to be an effective fight stopper?

Damn, those Fudds were right after all!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Full automatic Morita... Who wants to hold it?
Me, me, me, me!!!

https://youtu.be/DcDWMb6uins
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
only if a treadmill is involved.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At 1455 approximate, I went to do the 1500 Utility drop box service, when I observed an agitated individual, a white male wearing shorts and no shirt, gym shorts and grey  running shoes, approximately 5'9", 50-60 YOA, 160lbs, longish dirty blond hair,  shouting and arguing with himself, and appearing intoxicated, on the sidewalk in front of the OTC public entrance. This individual was later identified as HATCH, HOWARD. I contacted REDACTED to step outside, so he could contact dispatch without escalating the situation. The individual asked where he could get water, and was told there was a fountain inside. He was coherent enough to put on his shirt before coming inside, so I continued on with the drop. I discovered the individual was also in possession of a sledgehammer and a full sized pick-mattock, which I found laying, on the sidewalk, equidistant between the public entrance and the drop box.  I removed them while he was distracted and gave them to REDACTED to eliminate them from immediate access to HATCH. REDACTED arrived shortly after 1505 and began to question HATCH. HATCH claimed that he had bought the tools from another homeless person and was trying to sell them. When REDACTED said that if HATCH continued to stay near OTC, we would have to take the tools into custody, he reacted negatively, lunged for the tools, and departed the vicinity of OTC with the tools. REDACTED.  followed him in an RPC, and he was later taken into custody by REDACTED. HATCH is known as a dengerous individual who has mental issues and is not amenable to reason when off his meds.

--EOR--
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
but what if you happened to be stationed in geosynchronous orbit over NY?
View Quote
Nuke it from orbit...just to make sure!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm sorry but the F2000 is the official issue weapon of the USSF
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#31]
If you fire a bullet in space does it continue to travel at the same fps...forever?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you fire a bullet in space does it continue to travel at the same fps...forever?
View Quote
An object in motion continues in motion unless acted on by an external force. This is the conservation of momentum. Eventually gravity or a collision, etc would interfere, but yes, it would.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#33]
*24,000 years later.

"You know, G'raxxzl, we should attend the space opera ton-" *thwip-splat!

"Holy Zarquon, B'rezeab! Are you froodl? Oh no!"

And that was how the brazarkians discovered they were not alone in the universe.

Except they were, because the civilization from which the projectile came had self-immolated in an internecine squabble over would pay for the free government cheese 8000 years before the bullet accidently killed poor B'rezeab.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#34]
why not just P90's like this Tier 1 crew

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#35]
lol
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#36]
That would actually make some sense.

Low recoil impulse
Ambidextrous  
Decent capacity
AP ammo for puncturing suits
SS197/frangible for sensitive inside use
Compact  
Decent brass catcher already exists

Incorporate a laser parallel laser close to the bore, and mod the ergos a bit for use with a vac suit...

I’d also probably switch to steel cases, and mod the brass catcher with a magnet to keep the casings from wandering back into the action in micro g.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Holy moly.

YES, gunpowder will burn perfectly in space!  Why is this still a question?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Hmm, May need some sort of caseless ammo. We don't need thousands of brass casings orbiting the earth at 17,000mph.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sort of, not really.  Maybe it would work better in a cartridge and ignited all at once with a primer.
Skip to 5:26 for tl;dw

[youtube]Zv6KQzlLwU4?t=5m26s[/youtube]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Storm trooper white with black trim.

I bet PSA would help us out on that
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because every time you fire it you will have to recalibrate while spinning out of control from the recoil?  And worrying about reentry if your ass was to the planet when you pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Heavy bolter or melta.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
gyrojet will return
View Quote
I knew I wouldn't be the first.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Recoil has to be dampened at all cost.

All gass expansion will require counter-balance so it is neutral in all directions.  Something that looks like a supressor will need to be used to duct it.

Here is a good start;

I like the White:
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sort of, not really.  Maybe it would work better in a cartridge and ignited all at once with a primer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv6KQzlLwU4?t=5m26s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv6KQzlLwU4?t=5m26s
The detonating primer pressurizes the case while simultaneously igniting the smokeless propellant.  The pressure rises very rapidly and combustion of the propellant occurs just fine.  While I’m not aware of any film or vids, the Russians (at a minimum) already did it.  In space.

If anyone stillllllll doubts it.....

Here is a Mythbusters snippet to help assuage your unfounded doubts.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/OX84RQV
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unless acted upon by external forces, yes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Whatever you have, you better make sure you have a tether on it!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#49]
For weightless and vacuum infantry warfighting, handheld lasers are the key. No recoil, which most projectile weapons will have an will cause all kinds of problems in a weightless environment. The laser doesn't have to be very strong, just strong enough to put a hole in the enemy infantry suit; at that point the vacuum would stop or kill them. In a weightless environment, the technology has probably advanced to the point where a single man could carry the weight currently required for laser weapons.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#50]
P90, all you need to do is pierce their suit and nature takes over from there.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top