Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the ability to gouge a fuckers eye out and its all just a bullshit game, fellas.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
The CCP doesn’t allow martial arts. Chinese authorities only allowed Wushu acrobatics. The only remaining Chinese martial artists after 1949 fled to Hong Kong and a handful moved onto Vancouver Canada and San Francisco, CA. There’s were less than 10 even back during Bruce Lee’s days. 99% of Chinese don’t care about martial arts. They only care about getting into college and getting a good job. The “Kung fu” Bruce Lee days are long gone
8 Reasons Why The Chinese Are Obsessed With Money
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wing chun is effective at fighting itself. The problems with it arise when the other guy won't stand in the correct intermediate range for it to work. No answer for long range attacks, and the clinch blows through it like it's not even there.

ETA: the hand trapping techniques of WC work well when integrated into more effective styles. But if you're focused on trapping at the expense of distance management, guard, head movement, angles, etc. then you're gonna have a bad time in the ring with a boxer or kickboxer.
View Quote
You’re not even describing wing chun
Ip Man Wooden Dummy Real Speed HD
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not entirely. WC has some good and useful technique in real world application. I'm not convinced that dude was a master of anything but looking cool in front of his mirror. I studied WC for a brief stint. Don't remember many of the terms and just had a superficial grasp of the style and a few techniques (the ones I thought meshed well with my jjj).

This is "running dog". The punches are more or less straight from your centerline in a running chain. They're hard to block against. And with good footwork, hard for your opponent to get off line. They're not meant to knockout, but more to overwhelm to allow bigger strikes to be employed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC6QCjXkVUI

Pak sao and lop sao (trapping) work well when employed properly. I've used them to get shots in especially at the very beginning of contact. But if you spend all your time drilling a wooden dummy or playing pat-a-cake with a "sparring" partner, and not using them against a resisting opponent, they won't be there for you (same as any other technique)
View Quote
The loser in that video perfected the use of the face to stop the fist.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
So it sounds like everybody did not Wang Chung tonight
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Surprised it lasted that long.

MMA has taught the world that 90% of martial arts is complete bullshit.
View Quote
99.9% of Chinese people don’t know Chinese martial arts let alone Americans. It’s been dead going back to the Boxer rebellion
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Self-proclaimed Wing Chun master who vows to prove that traditional Chinese kung fu is not just fancy moves gets knocked out by a kick-boxer in 74 seconds

Ding Hao was humiliated by kick-boxer 'Tiger' at a packed arena in China
The 29-year-old claims to be a descendant of Wing Chun master Ip Man
His defeat sparked debate over the practicality of Chinese martial arts

Ding Hao, who claims to be a descendant of Wing Chun master Ip Man, was humiliated in front of a live audience at a packed arena on Saturday in the Chinese city of Jiangmen.
The 29-year-old was beaten to the ground in the first round, leading the viewers to question if he really knows Wing Chun, let alone be a master of it.

Youtube video of fight

Article in English
View Quote
lol that’s not even close to wing chun
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Martial arts have been dead in China since the 1949 communist takeover when martial arts were targeted as a threat to Mao.

29 years old? Master? I know a student of William Chung who was a student of Yip Man during the Bruce Lee days and almost 50 years later he refers to himself as humble student not master
View Quote
Martial arts have been almost non existent in Okinawa and Japan as well since WWII. General McArthur banned the practice of Martial Arts. Most became sport (Aikido, Judo, Iado). Some went underground and were practiced in secret. Some were allowed to continue to practice openly due to their relationship with the Okinawan royal family.

You won't ever see a real master or grandmaster get in a ring and compete. To become a real master/grandmaster is the pursuit of a lifetime.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Take the ability to gouge a fuckers eye out and its all just a bullshit game, fellas.  
View Quote
In the days of Greek Olympic Games, they were breaking thumbs to escape holds when “referees” weren’t able to see. Half the shit from Rome & Greece age aren’t allowed in the UFC
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Besides krav maga and some other stuff I take, I have been doing traditional kyudo for almost three years. Nisun nobi 16kg bow with 100cm arrows. Japanese teacher and all.

Is knowing how to do kyudo going to help me hunt with the bow and arrow or repel Invaders in my neighborhood? Doubtfull. Those things are what my rifles are for.

But that's not why I do kyudo. I do it for meditation and relaxation. I could do golf but that's even more frustrating. Lol.

It's all about what's appropriate for the situation. If you want to stick with traditional things that aren't appropriate for the situation, and those traditional things don't have an answer...well you adapt or suffer.

If you can't go beyond a fighting technique's method / kata and apply any sort of strikes locks throws footwork etc at an appropriate time, then you are a slave to the technique and will never grow beyond them. You're just a kata collector.

Sorry for the rant.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Prior to the advent of modern medicine, you couldn't really have a lot of full contact sparring sessions.  The loss of even a few teeth was a life-changing injury, much less a torn ligament or tendon.  That's why Rome used slaves as gladiators.  So a lot of these older forms are outdated for that reason.
View Quote
The Okinawan's practiced full contact sparring. Some martial art's masters used their internal energy (Ki/Chi) to accept full power blows that would literally kill an ordinary man without sustaining any injury. See the world record kick to the groin episode of Fox Sport's Science on Youtube as one example. The Okinawan's would also practice breakfalls on hardwood floors with no mats. They were much tougher in those days and ligaments actually healed better before modern medicine got involve with the use of NSAID's. They also had their own methods of healing these types of injuries.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just like the old cliche, "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian", in this case it's not the art, but the artist.  Some people are naturally better fighters than others.  Wing Chun guy may have never actually been in a real fight in his life.  Or if he was, maybe he was in fights against guys who really sucked at fighting, so he got all big-headed and thought he was Billy Badass.  I know some little guys with no training, but lots of speed and uncanny eye-hand coordination that can absolutely kick ass.  I know some big guys that never have to fight because they're big guys. I don't think any one martial art is "better" than any other martial art - it's the fighter and how well he can fight that tell the tale.
View Quote
Yep.

As the narrator in the the other video stated, non-fighter vs trained fighter.

I've trained in Wing Chun, as well as trained in, and went to Thailand to fight Muay Thai (yeah, there aren't many high level Thai fighters in the 90kg weight class. Would've been better off going to Holland). I've used Wing Chun trapping techniques to knock out Muay Thai opponents.

The reason that SO many of these traditional martial arts 'masters' get their ass handed to them, is because they don't fight. They're not fighters. They practice their art and love to make the claim, "Yeah, I could easily hurt someone/put them in the hospital if I wanted to". Have you ever tried fighting someone who's actually trying to put you down? No? Then it's just an assumption.

The Wing Chun guy in this video has obviously never fought real opponents regularly (if at all). I've seen several Wing Chun fights. Both opponents were more scared of getting hit hard, than looking for the other guys weaknesses to exploit.

Aside from the initial stance, he used about zero Wing Chun. No trapping, no Pak Sao, Bong Sao, Lop Sao. Wing Chun doesn't jam kicks with your shins the way Muay Thai does, but the front leg is kept light, and Wing Chun practitioners who actually fight and spar heavy contact will jam kicks.

This dude never made a single attempt to jam those leg kicks. He made the classic mistake every guy who's never received leg kicks (and/or trained to defend against them) does, and starts dropping his hands. The setup that even the self-professed non-fighters could see from a mile away.

He also didn't throw anything resembling Wing Chun punches. The punches he threw were the same punches I see untrained street brawlers throw. Sloppy arm punches, with minimal power. None of the straight/centerline punches common to Wing Chun, and none of the body torque common to any style that even includes heavy bag work as part of the regular training.

The other video with the guy commentating was even funnier. The old dude in the traditional white, never even made any kind of defensive move when he got KO'ed by the first punch his opponent threw. Lol! Never done ANY kind of training that involves someone throwing an unscripted punch at you huh? Yep, plenty of martial arts 'masters' like that to be found.

But I've trained with a lot of people and fought a lot. There are some guys who practice traditional martial arts styles, who CAN fight because they DO spar/fight regularly.

I've seen a guy with an aikido background who realized the deficiencies in the style, so he began training in MMA, but he could surprise and catch guys with some of the aikido techniques. The art itself isn't wholly useless or ineffective. It's just that the style itself doesn't really emphasize combat,  and/or train for it, and most of the practice is done with compliant partners.

In his case, as he trained in MMA, he began trying some of the techniques he knew from Aikido,  and realized some of them could be applied when the opportunity was there, other techniques rarely ever worked against a non-compliant opponent who would immediately punch you in the face.

If you want to be able to fight, you need to train to fight, and then fight. Otherwise, it's all just for show.

There's simply no contest in fights between a fighter vs a non-fighter.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Found a friend of mine, the son of my instructor, haven’t seen him since 2011 and apparently he’s gone bald
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I disagree. He tried to use the traditional stance and Wing Chun moves in the beginning. It just didn't work. So he tried a boxing stance. He still lost.
View Quote
He didn’t try wing chun at all from the first second. Just because someone claims to be a Navy SEAL or a Buddhist doesn’t necessarily make them so. People claim shit all the time. Pro tip; people lie
Phony Navy SEAL of the WEEK. Stolen Valor Morons of the Month by Retired SEAL Don Shipley
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

JKD is just the way Lee described MMA in chinese. He started out with wing chun but he found it wanting pretty quickly.

There's some issues with JKD not being an organized art so a lot of people claim to be qualified to instruct who shouldn't though.

It's not so much that traditional arts are bullshit as some are just way better than others, none are really complete, there's always something more to learn.

MMA has just provided constant experimentation and objective results on what works.
View Quote
Bruce Lee had 6 years of instruction in WC. Here’s a video, his horse stance is completely wrong. Points to anyone who can explain why even the great Bruce Lee isn’t correctly doing it. Hint the first pics with Yip Man he’s more correctly doing it since he has Yip Man there to correct it and even then his head position is still wrong  
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#16]
He doesn't know how to check a leg kick.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish I could kick above my navel :)
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Okinawan's practiced full contact sparring. Some martial art's masters used their internal energy (Ki/Chi) to accept full power blows that would literally kill an ordinary man without sustaining any injury. See the world record kick to the groin episode of Fox Sport's Science on Youtube as one example. The Okinawan's would also practice breakfalls on hardwood floors with no mats. They were much tougher in those days and ligaments actually healed better before modern medicine got involve with the use of NSAID's. They also had their own methods of healing these types of injuries.
View Quote
And yet today these magic men get knocked the fuck out by a guy with a good left hook.  I don't buy the myth.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He doesn't know how to check a leg kick.
View Quote
I’m no master I did several leg checks before Palo Alto police arrested me fighting on El Camino Real after I discovered a guy trying to steal my Shoei helmet off my motorcycle
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been on the receiving end of those kicks to the leg.  They absolutely take the will to fight right out of a fella.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Wing chun is the way of intercepting the fist....not the foot, I think I found the problem
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bruce Lee had 6 years of instruction in WC. Here’s a video, his horse stance is completely wrong. Points to anyone who can explain why even the great Bruce Lee isn’t correctly doing it. Hint the first pics with Yip Man he’s more correctly doing it since he has Yip Man there to correct it and even then his head position is still wrong   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LhRIk_yCQU
View Quote
Why?
Because he's an actor, not a fighter.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wing chun is the way of intercepting the fist....not the foot, I think I found the problem
View Quote
The guy Bruce Lee studied under for 6 years
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why?
Because he's an actor, not a fighter.
View Quote
Other than rumors of a fight in Seattle and the one closed door fight in Oakland, CA. with a handful of spectators present, I’m not aware of any other street fist fights he had in the USA after moving from Hong Kong. I’ve definitely been involved in more streetfights than Bruce Lee and I’m no master by any measure.

Here’s a Bruce Lee gif not doing Wing Chun correctly, note the legs compared to Yip Man

But the answer is located at his knees or if it’s easier compare his legs in pictures with Yip Man to the pics or video without Yip Man present to correct him. Wing Chun whole deal is not hands, it’s the “knees” / legs, without it, you don’t have wing chun.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
But Bruce Lee did spar. Example below
How Good Really was Bruce Lee? | Real Sparring Analysis
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yet all those you listed are martial arts
UFC = MMA = Mixed Martial Arts
View Quote
It is the sport based "arts" that work, not the stuff designed for self defense or combat based upon theory.

Judo is also good.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Karate vs muay Thai.

Also

the 70's a famous match between 5 Kung Fu and 5 Muay Thai fighters took place in the Lumphini Stadium in Bangkok. Chinese martial arts adepts came to prove themselves against Nak Muay.

Thais won 5 out of 5 bouts in total. All of them in the first round by KO or TKO. They even agreed to fight bare-handed at the request of a Kung Fu practitioners who wanted to take an advantage of their fist techniques. They were helpless against Muay Thai and its techniques and fighting philosophy.

As a matter of fact, there was no single recorded competition where Chinese martial artists prevailed against Thais in the ring. Muay Thai just proves to be better in a pro sport competitions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Someone spent too long learning how to hit, and not enough time learning how to take a hit and/or not get hit.
View Quote
Not sure you really learn to hit in WC. It is more of slap fight training.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#28]
IIRC, there's a chinese MMA fighter who has been "unpersoned" for uploading his videos of him stomping the shit out of kung fu "masters" on their state-owned youtube surrogate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Its not as simple as it used to be like in the early ufc events. There’s been lots of ufc champs and fighters with karate or tkd as their foundation like GSP.  They just added to their skill set like everybody else.
View Quote
Kyokushin karate, BJJ, wrestling and boxing.

Kyokushin was the first full contact karate style, started in the early 1960s. It is a much better foundation than more traditional styles of karate.

Something like TKD has lots of nice kicks, but isn't really a "foundation" IMO. It can give an edge when added to other stuff, but you absolutely actual fight sport training.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You’re not even describing wing chun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNQwGIvgQQ
View Quote
Looks like he's giving a really unsatisfactory handjob.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The point is being proficient in several disciplines, not just one.
View Quote
It is more about being proficient in something that works and is trained in a full force environment. It is the full force environment that's key.

Besides that is the rule set. Fight sports are defined by rules, not by a set of moves passed down from some long ago master. So not all fight sports are equal do to the rules. The sport's culture also likely plays into it.

To really get striking down, I think they need to be trained seperatly, then integrated when you have the basic skills.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Looks like he's giving a really unsatisfactory handjob.
View Quote
It’s a subtle grip for sure. If the person is not balanced you pull towards you or push away magnifying their lack of balance. Thumb on same side so it can’t be broken in case it fails to work {sorry couldn’t find an English language video}
Wing Chun Sticky Leg Concepts
Kenneth Chung "How to correctly contact the Wing Chun Dummy"
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not sure you really learn to hit in WC. It is more of slap fight training.
View Quote
Most of the videos I’ve posted are English language. I had to learn when only Cantonese was spoken and I only took 2 years of Mandarin in college.
There’s no slaps. There’s “chops” to the neck, open palm usually to chest, neck or chin and punches. The primary goal is to control the opponent’s body by being close {closing the distance like a wrestler would, about arms length distance} then controlling the hands and driving thru their center kind of the way a tank drives thru shit in its way, using the power deriving from the legs moving forward but not the shoulders, hips and leg style of western boxing illustrated by this Gif  
Kenneth Chung "sun character punch"
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Prior to the advent of modern medicine, you couldn't really have a lot of full contact sparring sessions.  The loss of even a few teeth was a life-changing injury, much less a torn ligament or tendon.  That's why Rome used slaves as gladiators.  So a lot of these older forms are outdated for that reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
John Sullivan and his 44 fights disagrees:

On July 8, 1889, an estimated 3000 spectators boarded special trains for the secret location, which turned out to be Richburg, a town just south of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The fight began at 10:30, and at first it looked like Sullivan was going to lose, especially after he vomitted during the 44th round. However, the champion got his second wind and was able to turn things around for himself. After a grueling beatdown, Kilrain's manager finally threw in the towel after the 75th round.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_L._Sullivan
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Karate vs muay Thai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vyCY613UgM

Also

the 70's a famous match between 5 Kung Fu and 5 Muay Thai fighters took place in the Lumphini Stadium in Bangkok. Chinese martial arts adepts came to prove themselves against Nak Muay.

Thais won 5 out of 5 bouts in total. All of them in the first round by KO or TKO. They even agreed to fight bare-handed at the request of a Kung Fu practitioners who wanted to take an advantage of their fist techniques. They were helpless against Muay Thai and its techniques and fighting philosophy.

As a matter of fact, there was no single recorded competition where Chinese martial artists prevailed against Thais in the ring. Muay Thai just proves to be better in a pro sport competitions.
View Quote
Lot of haymakers for a Karate black belt. I wouldn’t wear a belt into a fight but that’s just me
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
And yet today these magic men get knocked the fuck out by a guy with a good left hook.  I don't buy the myth.
View Quote
Obviously you didn't bother to look up the video. This Grandmaster and his students have been doing these demos for around 50 years now. They have taken the best shots from heavyweight boxing champions, NFL Super Bowl Champions, MMA Champions, American Gladiator's, etc. without ever even being knocked to their knees, let alone knocked out. There are over a dozen major TV specials featuring these demos, including the Fox Sport's Science World Record Kick to the Groin episode, Discovery Channel, TLC, Stan Lee's Superhumans, ABC Wide World of Sports, etc.

It's only magic if you don't understand how it works.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

John Sullivan and his 44 fights disagrees:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_L._Sullivan
View Quote
There's a reason boxing was traditionally a poor-man's game.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Red Foxx had a bit in his stand up about getting robbed by a guy who had black belt in Karate.  As the line goes, he pulls out a gun and tells the guy that the black belt will be used to lower him into the ground.

Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Improssibrol
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#40]
ONCE UPON A TIME... In HOLLYWOOD. Cliff Booth vs Bruce Lee. CHARLES MANSON!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My uneducated hunch is that "obvious" things aren't so obvious while your brain is short circuiting during an ass kicking.
View Quote
This. The short version as stated previously "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Irony given China outlawed martial arts 70 years ago https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/quentin-tarantino-won-t-recut-once-upon-time-hollywood-after-n1069736
China BLOCKS Tarantino Film Over Bruce Lee Scene!?
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Bas Rutten.
One of my favorite fighters.

Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Its not as simple as it used to be like in the early ufc events. There’s been lots of ufc champs and fighters with karate or tkd as their foundation like GSP.  They just added to their skill set like everybody else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The advent of the UFC has proven that most martial arts aren't very effective.  BJJ/Muay Thai/Wrestling are what you need to be proficient in if you really want to be a badass.
Don't get me wrong, I think something can probably be taken from each of the martial arts.  Machida for example had good success because of his karate skills.  But he was definitely the exception, not the norm.  It has been proven time and time again that fighters who are proficient in the 3 I mentioned above do best in the sport......or we can dumb it down even further by simply saying that having good skills in wrestling, ground game and stand up is what's necessary.  My point was only that just being a master at one discipline will get your ass kicked by someone who is more well rounded.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The advent of the UFC has proven that most martial arts aren't very effective.  BJJ/Muay Thai/Wrestling are what you need to be proficient in if you really want to be a badass.
View Quote
This.  If anything 50% ground/50% striking.  Plenty examples proven in and out of the ring.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I think something can probably be taken from each of the martial arts.  Machida for example had good success because of his karate skills.  But he was definitely the exception, not the norm.  It has been proven time and time again that fighters who are proficient in the 3 I mentioned above do best in the sport......or we can dumb it down even further by simply saying that having good skills in wrestling, ground game and stand up is what's necessary.  My point was only that just being a master at one discipline will get your ass kicked by someone who is more well rounded.
View Quote
It is 4 styles: MT, boxing, wrestling, and BJJ.

The issue with Judo is that it is jacket wrestling and jackets are not required in the ring. Also, Judo doesn't allow the wrestling style leg attacks that are usually the easiest takedowns.

Karate/TKD have a lot of kicks that can add to MMA. Sidekick, spinning back kick, spinning heel kick, etc.  A spinning heel kick can be a real fight ender if used right, but first you have to survive against an opponent with grappling and boxing skills. So you need grappling and boxing skills as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean like in the video above
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lot of haymakers for a Karate black belt. I wouldn’t wear a belt into a fight but that’s just me
View Quote
When American kickboxing came about, boxing style punching was used. Traditional karate style punching doesn't cut it in the boxing ring. So when you make it a sport, it shifts from being full contact karate to kickboxing quickly. It is just about what works.

A karate guy with a traditional background might end up throwing haymakers in a full contact fight when his classical punches don't work.

I got a black belt in karate in 1980.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My understanding is that Japanese karate didn't allow sparring until 1940. And full contact came later. I believe the Okinawans mostly practiced forms but also other conditioning stuff, striking hard objects, etc. I also doubt that full contact training would continue to push the traditional karate punching style, with chambered fist and such. Many tradionalists really, really believed in forms.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There's a reason boxing was traditionally a poor-man's game.
View Quote
The upper class grapples, since it has much more application when wearing harness and using a long sword.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top