Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Do have ice water cooler with the water pump that circulates the cold water to a pad that wraps around your shoulder?  If not demand one ASAP.  Those are amazing and comfortable.  They really help take the inflammation down.

Mine looked something like this.

Amazon Product
  • New for 2.0 Quiet, high-efficiency pump provides steady, effective cooling
  • COMFORTABLE AND EASY to use cold therapy system for knees, shoulders, back, ankles, elbows, calves, limbs and more.
  • Made in the USA.

Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I fell about a month ago and had some minor pain that as of lately has turned into a pain that runs down my arm. Bad pain.
Pain that seems to last about 15-20 seconds before it slowly goes away.
Worse than when I broke my femur/ankle.
If I raise my arm, sneeze, tension the shoulder in any way. Any ideas from the minds of GD? Cut if off?
View Quote
get an MRI with contrast and you'll have your answer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Shoulder surgery was the worst pain I've ever been in.

How long did you get out of the block? Rotating ice on and off is going to be the key.

We've gotten away from any opioids for abdominal surgeries and only follow the ERAS protocol if possible. It usually works well and leads to remarkably shorter recovery times and less post-op complications
View Quote
I had three opioid options when I got into my recovery room
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahead of the curve now and feeling much better.

Borrowed ice machine from family. Breg Kodiak. I will need the shoulde pad though. The one my dad got came with a hip pad.

Block administered at approx 8:30 am. Started to wear off at 3:30 PM. 1 hour later it was unbearable.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Remember to take your next pain pill dose 45 minutes early to allow it to take effect before the previous dose wears off.
View Quote
Yep.  This.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had no idea it hurt this much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most painful night of my life.
I had no idea it hurt this much.
Ate plenty of percocets washed down with a few beers and pretty much stayed up all night. After that it was smooth sailing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Totally screwed my rotator cuff up, screws etc to fix. Didn’t sleep in a bed for 6 weeks. Bitch hurt, ice and meds didn’t touch the pain, good luck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
best thing i did was not have my rotator cuff surgery.

Rehab type exercises on my own and I've been back to benching 225 and 180 dumbell presses w/ zero pain.
View Quote
Me too brother, spent a year in Rehab! I passed on surgery based upon friends feedback. Been 6-7 months without pain! Now I get a decent nights sleep!
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Me too brother, spent a year in Rehab! I passed on surgery based upon friends feedback. Been 6-7 months without pain! Now I get a decent nights sleep!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
best thing i did was not have my rotator cuff surgery.

Rehab type exercises on my own and I've been back to benching 225 and 180 dumbell presses w/ zero pain.
I did PT for years, and ended up having to have surgery anyways.  This is a definite YMMV.  I hope PT continues to work for you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Hang in there. The pain will get better pretty fast. I had rotator cuff repair back in January and was off everything but ice and advil after a few days.

The worse part was not being able to sleep for over a month.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck man. It gets better in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dilaudid is the pain med you seek.
View Quote
Great stuff, but overkill for his procedure.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a rotator & labrum repaired years ago, 5 incisions to fix everything.  Doc said the nerve block would last about 18 hours.  I did not get ahead on the pain pills and the block wore off at about 12 hours around 9 PM.  When it dissipated, it was like an on-off switch.  I was screaming for drugs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Just keeping telling yourself that nobody died from pain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't remember if it's been mentioned, but a comfortable recliner you can operate with your good arm may be a good option for sleeping.  Way better than a bed in my case.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How long did you get out of the block? Rotating ice on and off is going to be the key.

We've gotten away from any opioids for abdominal surgeries and only follow the ERAS protocol if possible. It usually works well and leads to remarkably shorter recovery times and less post-op complications
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I am recovering from a colon resection surgery for colon cancer, I turned down all opiods and used tylenol drip only in my IV, two weeks ago.
I really hate this paranoia about opiates. I needed 6 10mg Percocet  a day a couple of weeks a go for a ruptured disk that was described in the report as "Obliterated" had been on them for weeks , before that Hydrocodone. Then something moved and before I went in for surgery and the really terrible pain went away over a couple of days. I was able to stop the opiates in just a few days, no withdrawal symptoms that I noticed. But when I needed them, I needed them, Over the counter crap sure wasn't going to touch that kind of sharp deep pain. Tylenol has never done ANYTHING for even a headache for me. And they told me not to use any other NSAIDS after my ACDF surgery because they make fusion slower.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Good luck brother.  Don't forget stool softeners to go with the pain meds, and drink a ton of water. I had a reconstruction about 5 years ago with a severed bicep and shattered glenoid among other things. Recovery was slow and painful, but I got through it.

Get on the ice and stay ahead of the pain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just keeping telling yourself that nobody died from pain.
View Quote
Maybe not, but plenty have wanted to and a few have committed suicide because of it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a rotator & labrum repaired years ago, 5 incisions to fix everything.  Doc said the nerve block would last about 18 hours.  I did not get ahead on the pain pills and the block wore off at about 12 hours around 9 PM.  When it dissipated, it was like an on-off switch.  I was screaming for drugs.
View Quote
I came out of surgery at about 2pm, my nerve block was completely gone by about 6pm the next day but the wife already had me started on norcos since we didn't know how long it was going to last.

I definitely knew when it wore off, pain nearly doubled but it was bearable.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dear. Lord.

Bone spur removal with bonus!  bicep tendon repair and partial tear rotator cuff repair (with callogen patch)

Pain meds aren't touching it. Ice machine en route.

View Quote
Ibuprofen. Had mine done in May, shaved some bone down, repaired labrum and hole in the rotator cuff tendon. Still not fully recovered. to be honest the pain was nowhere as bad as I thought or heard it would be. Then again the before hand was pretty brutal though so I accepted this pain as necessary.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Suck it up, buttercup. It’ll get better....eventually.

Not so proud owner of 4 shoulder operations (2 each). Best I can tell you is sleep on the couch to reduce movement when you sleep. Helped me a lot.

Oh, Percocet and bourbon helped tremendously
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Ice and immobilize is key. I tore all the ligaments in my shoulder and every muscle except the pectoral and destroyed the rotator cup.

I’m allergic to opiates. It was a rough ride for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#24]
With my bone spur surgery the the percs did nothing at all. Alieve however was a gift from God Himself.  Oh yeah. Do yourself a long term favor and start moving that shoulder NOW.  nothing crazy but move till it’s a little achy. The more
You stretch it early the less agony therapy will be.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
With my bone spur surgery the the percs did nothing at all. Alieve however was a gift from God Himself.  Oh yeah. Do yourself a long term favor and start moving that shoulder NOW.  nothing crazy but move till it's a little achy. The more
View Quote
Aleve is my go to.  Doc said no NSAIDs yet.

PT starts Friday?!
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ice and immobilize is key. I tore all the ligaments in my shoulder and every muscle except the pectoral and destroyed the rotator cup.

I'm allergic to opiates. It was a rough ride for a few weeks.
View Quote
Yow win.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

PT starts Friday?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With my bone spur surgery the the percs did nothing at all. Alieve however was a gift from God Himself.  Oh yeah. Do yourself a long term favor and start moving that shoulder NOW.  nothing crazy but move till it's a little achy. The more

PT starts Friday?!
During my pre-surgery workup they gave me range of motion exercises and directions on when to start them after the surgery.  My first PT session was a review of the surgery notes and photos, range of motion session, and laying out my initial treatment plan.  Can't remember how quickly after the surgery, but it was sooner than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ahead of the curve now and feeling much better.

Borrowed ice machine from family. Breg Kodiak. I will need the shoulde pad though. The one my dad got came with a hip pad.

Block administered at approx 8:30 am. Started to wear off at 3:30 PM. 1 hour later it was unbearable.
View Quote
They should have transitioned you to oral pain meds when you started getting any feeling back. I would have expected quite a bit longer from the block, usually at least 12h.

Quoted:

I really hate this paranoia about opiates. I needed 6 10mg Percocet  a day a couple of weeks a go for a ruptured disk that was described in the report as "Obliterated" had been on them for weeks , before that Hydrocodone. Then something moved and before I went in for surgery and the really terrible pain went away over a couple of days. I was able to stop the opiates in just a few days, no withdrawal symptoms that I noticed. But when I needed them, I needed them, Over the counter crap sure wasn't going to touch that kind of sharp deep pain. Tylenol has never done ANYTHING for even a headache for me. And they told me not to use any other NSAIDS after my ACDF surgery because they make fusion slower.
View Quote
They are needed sometimes, and we still use a ton of them but outcomes are part of what dictate the "goals" for anesthetic care. A lot of the anti-opioid agenda is coming from the.gov, but quite a bit of it is evidence based. Finding a balance is difficult, considering everyone's perception of pain is different. Sorry to hear that you were in pain for so long.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

PT starts Friday?!
View Quote
Isn't Aleve also an NSAID?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes. I can't take it yet
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Had rotator cuff done the day after Christmas in 2017.  Therapy began the day after surgery.  That was misery.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Word.
View Quote
I remember the pineapple
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#33]
My wife had the exact same thing; 3 bone spurs removed, detached bicep and torn rotator cuff.

Stay on top of the pain meds.  Don't try to play catch up.  Use the muscle relaxers, it helped the spasms which created/caused more pain.  Use the Polar Ice machine dealio.  It was a life saver.

But the thing that she said helped the most was starting physical therapy almost immediately.  It sounds counter-intuitive (the last thing you want is someone working on that shoulder) but she said it kept her shoulder loose and she always felt the best right after her PT sessions.

Good luck.  Its a long road.  And just as she thought it started to get 'hopeless' (like it's never going to get better), everything changed on a dime.  Keep your head up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm allergic to opiates. It was a rough ride for a few weeks.
View Quote
I could not imagine that nightmare.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#35]
The longer you wait to start getting some motion and stretching in that joint the longer the scar tissue has to build up. Loosening that scar tissue hurts like a MFer. Thus I started my stretching right after the nerve block wore off.  I’d move slowly until it hurt just a touch then move a millimeter more and sit there until it didn’t hurt so much.  My progression through therapy was much faster than expected and much less painful.  But too my dr told me that his repair wouldnt be harmed by motion.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PT starts Friday?!
yes, aleve is the market brand name for the drug naproxen
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Ice Machine rules.

Do NOT chase the pain.  Set your alarm to get up in the middle of the night to medicate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Surgery tue am

pt Friday am

seems pretty quick?

@hsvhobbit
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Surgery tue am

pt Friday am

seems pretty quick?

@hsvhobbit
View Quote
The PTs will seem to be Inquisitors soon. You will confess.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Surgery tue am

pt Friday am

seems pretty quick?

@hsvhobbit
View Quote
My wife was at PT on day 2.  They didn't do much that first visit but her PT started immediately.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Liberal amounts of bourbon.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#42]
My PT began on day two.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Surgery tue am

pt Friday am

seems pretty quick?

@hsvhobbit
View Quote
Actually not really.  I started moving my arm/shoulder maybe 20 min after I got feeling back from that nerve block. It hurt a BUNCH but I’ve talked to too many people that waited several days to start motion and it was pure hell on them. Conversely got advice from experienced people that said move as soon as able.  Less pain overall and much quicker recovery. Talked to one lady going through rehab who delayed her therapy for a couple of weeks.  And didn’t move her shoulder at all when not in the clinic, just doing the minimum required of her. She could barely move the shoulder. I wanted to keep that mess broken loose so the sadists in rehab didn’t have to hurt me as much (I’m joking about the therapist. Mine was cute as a button and as nice as she could be but DAMN she was strong and as tough as a Marine DI)
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The PTs will seem to be Inquisitors soon. You will confess.
View Quote
No kidding..I started PT the 9th day after surgery(9 holes and one 2" cut where they cut the collar bone loose)I told the therapist to do as she had to.....So she lays me down on the table and is moving my arm a few inches back and forth and does this for about 5 minutes, then looks over at me and notices I have a puddle of tears on the table and she is apologizing profusely and I am like just do what you gotta do..I will survive it one way or another....I actually have good range off motion, but my arm will no longer go behind my back nor have I been able to rebuild the out right strength in the arm...especially if my elbow has to be away from my side...This all happened 4 years ago..Therapist said  right from the start that sometimes you just can't fully recover, just to much damage done...

This was 4 or 5 days after surgery..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I had bone spur, two tears in rotator cuff, and 95% tear in bicep tendon.  4 months of rehab.  Last month of rehab focused on movement of arm up my back - a few choice words spoken.  Lady said she had heard it all during her career.  I took two dozen donuts to their office on my last visit for getting me back to normal again.  

Hang in there and take it slow - movement will increase and pain will decrease over time.  I don't remember the name of the pain meds I was on but they helped me get through that first month.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Surgery Tue AM. Stopped taking Oxy on Wed PM as pain had subsided quite a bit.

I have first PT session in 1 hour.

Should I go commando or is it recommended to take pain med?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Surgery Tue AM. Stopped taking Oxy on Wed PM as pain had subsided quite a bit.

I have first PT session in 1 hour.

Should I go commando or is it recommended to take pain med?
View Quote
My wife said she'd get more out of PT with a pain pill than without.  She was 'resistant' to movement and protective of her shoulder without it.

She pretty much only took a pain pill for her PT sessions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:55:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I have had the same thing done to both shoulders 9 months apart. It was a mother fucker. At least now I can put my shoes on without it feeling like my shoulders are going to pop out of socket.

PT is your friend. Mine started 4 weeks after each surgery, follow their instructions and regimen precisely.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Yup...

Had one total knee replacement in March and the other
in April.

I'm feelin you, man!

It'll get better though
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#50]
I had to get my pec muscle reattached. Doc said around midnight nerve blocker would wear off and Id me in a lot of pain. Doc prescribed a lot of meds, I had a brother die because of them, so I declined.

Around 2am I almost ate a bullet, fuck I was in pain. Next day I went to Oktoberfest and had about 30 beers, felt great after that.

The worst part was sleeping for me, I sleep on my stomach and I couldnt. I dont think I slept for two weeks as I had to sleep in a recliner. I was one seriously cranky mother fucker, thank god my wife is very type B. If not, she might have killed me.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top