Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey Smarty Pants out there! You cannot be DIVORCED if you were NEVER MARRIED to begin with and those weenies do not commit so this is obviously #FAKENEWS. Hahahaha.
View Quote
They’re calculating it as a ratio of marriages, which factors out the decreasing rate of marriages. They aren’t just looking at base numbers.

As in, of the marriages that are happening, a much lower percentage of them are ending in divorce. And this is likely because people who are getting married are more committed to being married and are taking the time to select partners they can live with for a lifetime. Getting married “just because” or “it’s time” is a practice that’s quickly fading. And that’s ok.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I reject your statement, and rebut with a statement about my damn millennial kids still living with me and ma.  So, all millennials are failures, and not getting married in the first place, so of course they can’t get divorced!!!!

It’s logic!!!

Where’s your gawddd nowww????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this thread is proof that America is getting fucking stupider by the day.

Read the article.  The author pointed out that he wasn't look at number of divorces across the entire population, but the rate of divorce among total number of married women.
I reject your statement, and rebut with a statement about my damn millennial kids still living with me and ma.  So, all millennials are failures, and not getting married in the first place, so of course they can’t get divorced!!!!

It’s logic!!!

Well, Scooby-Doo can doo-doo!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think that is pretty a important part of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My two thoughts:

- More people are living together without being married, and then getting married after X number of years of essentially living a "married" life, so a number of the would-be early divorces are potentially weeded out.

- The internet & rise of online dating with comparability factors is probably going to end up becoming a "safer" route than the average traditional  "we randomly met in a bar and just hit it off" route.
I think that is pretty a important part of it.
Makes sense. I would encourage my kids to do that. I never understood the logic behind getting married before you determined whether you were compatible living together.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
they compared the number of divorces to the total number or married women. so a marriage with two women counts as two marriages and a marriage with two men counts as zero.

talk about flawed data.

Example.

Jane and sara are married and stay married.
Mike and Jeff get married but divorce.

Common math says they divorce rate is 50%.  But by only counting Jane and Sara (and counting them twice) the study concludes the divorce rate is zero percent.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They’re calculating it as a ratio of marriages, which factors out the decreasing rate of marriages. They aren’t just looking at base numbers.

As in, of the marriages that are happening, a much lower percentage of them are ending in divorce. And this is likely because people who are getting married are more committed to being married and are taking the time to select partners they can live with for a lifetime. Getting married “just because” or “it’s time” is a practice that’s quickly fading. And that’s ok.
View Quote
But they are only counting married women, not married men. and if they are counting every married women, then a girl/girl marriage counts twice.

That's going to really screw up the numbers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
There are not enough gay or lesbian marriages to affect the data. Stop watching TV.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It’s logic!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this thread is proof that America is getting fucking stupider by the day.

Read the article.  The author pointed out that he wasn't look at number of divorces across the entire population, but the rate of divorce among total number of married women.

It’s logic!!!

That's less of a generational problem and more of a parenting problem.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What percentage are getting married, though? If you don't get married or are married for less years (getting married older) there's going to be less divorce.
View Quote
The numbers are based on "Married People" that get divorced, not the number of divorces. Those that do not get married don't contribute to the numbers.

The boomers got married as freaking kids, often before they even got out of high school. People change drastically in their 20's and 30's from 16. Had I married my GF when I was 16, I can say with 100% certainty that we would have been divorced.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those that get married for the right reasons stay married.

What this doesn't tell us is the current millenial marriage rate. I would almost be willing to bet we arent getting married as much.
View Quote
What are the right reasons to get married, followed by why does marriage even exist at all?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
they compared the number of divorces to the total number or married women. so a marriage with two women counts as two marriages and a marriage with two men counts as zero.

talk about flawed data.

Example.

Jane and sara are married and stay married.
Mike and Jeff get married but divorce.

Common math says they divorce rate is 50%.  But by only counting Jane and Sara (and counting them twice) the study concludes the divorce rate is zero percent.
View Quote
On a country wide scale, I doubt it has as much effect as your example would have us believe. I'm not digging too hard, but a couple quick google searches seem to be confirming that same sex marriages aren't a huge portion of total marriages and that the overall same sex marriage divorce rates are similar to straight marriage divorce rates, but that lesbians are far more likely to divorce than gay men. So if anything, basing the study off of married women (straight or lesbian) should result in worse numbers than if it had been based off of men.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What are the right reasons to get married, followed by why does marriage even exist at all?
View Quote
The answers to those questions are up to the individual to decide.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The numbers are based on "Married People" that get divorced, not the number of divorces.
View Quote
Married Women, not married people.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Damn millenials, first they screw up the great American institutions of Applebees, Harley Davidson, and American cheese, and now divorce is becoming less frequent?

There oughta' be a law.  
View Quote

Awful boomers would actually agree with that though ??
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quit with the logic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What percentage are getting married, though? If you don't get married or are married for less years (getting married older) there's going to be less divorce.
Quit with the logic.
This gymnastics is like the unemployment stats only counting people looking for a job. I can see the possibility of people unfit for marriage or not a believer in it not even trying. So what is the point of these stats?

The marriage rate has also fallen over the last several decades. But Cohen calculates the divorce rate as a ratio of divorces to the total number of married women. So, the divorce rate's decline isn't a reflection of a decline in marriages. Rather, it's evidence that marriages today have a greater chance of lasting than marriages did ten years ago.
Oh but it can be.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just ignore gramps. It seems he believes that every millennial is barely out of high school or living off Mountain Dew and Doritos in mom's basement.  Never mind what any data shows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure it's been said but OP, really? you can't tell that the data is UNGODLY skewed because

A. millennials meaning anyone born 1980 to the mid 90's ARE BARELY DATING LET ALONE GETTING MARRIED
B. Almost all of them under the age of 30 don't have a real job and STILL LIVE AT HOME

I'd bet this study lumped a bunch of late GenX'ers in there to get their numbers up.

Next you'll be telling us millennials birth rates are up higher than the boomers yet fail to identify that it's non-whites.
People age 22 to 39 are barely dating?
Just ignore gramps. It seems he believes that every millennial is barely out of high school or living off Mountain Dew and Doritos in mom's basement.  Never mind what any data shows.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex/no-sex-please-were-millennials/

https://www.bing.com/search?q=why+aren't+millenials+having+sex%3F&pc=MOZI&form=MOZTSB
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol at boomers trying to make it seem like they aren't the reason divorce is big business now.

I hadn't really thought about it. But most of my married friends are going the distance. Most of those that haven't would have been destroyed regardless of generation.

Lots of partners are sticking with their mates even through difficult times. It's really weird almost like they're taking some sort of oath seriously or something.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is fucking stupid. The divorce rate is down because the marriage rate is down.....  People aren't getting suckered into getting married for a piece of paper. The gay marriage thing brought about civil union.
View Quote
Stats. How do they work??
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The study controlled for fewer people getting married.

Very few of my peers have gotten divorced. Probably 75-80% have been married 10+ years.
View Quote
Eh, trying to expect Boomers to understand stats is like trying to get them to understand how badly they effed the country up.  Duh, the divorce stats are down because they are not marrying as much duh (even though the study accounted for that fact and is based on percentages.)
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
This right here.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Still married here.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I have read previously 2 of the prevalent reasons for divorce is over money or infidelity.  I'm a Boomer and once divorced, twice married.  My first wife completely fooled me about our finances, for many years.  We nearly went bankrupt, twice, and nearly had our house foreclosed on but the second was my fault because I should have divorced her the first time instead of working hard to fix the problem and thinking it wouldn't happen again.  Most men my age I talk to that are divorced have similar stories to mine about the unbridled credit card/charge account use of their ex's.  It was a symptom of growing up in the 60's and 70's when jobs were plentiful, pay was good and the father's and husbands made sure the debts were paid and the women were not restricted, or taught, about responsible spending.  When those young girls later got married they brought their horrible ideas and habits about money to the marriages and promptly helped send them both into deep debt.  It was the "Me" generation who refused to deny themselves anything, regardless of what it cost and both men and women were guilty of it.  I vividly remember when I was kid in the 70's seeing my parents friends with expensive cars and houses and furniture while both worked full time jobs and had maxed out credit cards and empty bank accounts.  Most of those marriages ended in divorce and bankruptcy.

Today's millenials are the by-product of those marriages and evidently saw what terrible tolls that wrought on them and their parents and maybe don't want to relive that.  Also today you can research or search things in an instant so the learning curve of life is not nearly as steep, if you put in a little effort.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are not enough gay or lesbian marriages to affect the data. Stop watching TV.
View Quote
Correct, they're aren't but lesbians have increased 5% over gay males which is unusual in the historical sense
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lol at boomers trying to make it seem like they aren't the reason divorce is big business now.

I hadn't really thought about it. But most of my married friends are going the distance. Most of those that haven't would have been destroyed regardless of generation.

Lots of partners are sticking with their mates even through difficult times. It's really weird almost like they're taking some sort of oath seriously or something.
View Quote
Couples over 50 account for a significant amount of divorces in the last several years
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#25]
During that time, the median age of marriage has risen to 29.5 for men and 27.4 for women in 2017, up from 23 for men and 20.8 for women in 1970.

Young people are waiting longer than their parents to get married, as well. According to a recent Gallup poll, 20% of Americans aged 18 to 30 are married, compared to 32% of Generation X members and 40% of Baby Boomers when they were the same ages. And one recent survey found a typical couple today is together for just short of five years before getting married.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/well/mind/millennials-love-marriage-sex-relationships-dating.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Americans under the age of 45 have found a novel way to rebel against their elders: They’re staying married.

New data show younger couples are approaching relationships very differently from baby boomers, who married young, divorced, remarried and so on. Generation X and especially millennials are being pickier about who they marry, tying the knot at older ages when education, careers and finances are on track. The result is a U.S. divorce rate that dropped 18 percent from 2008 to 2016, according to an analysis by University of Maryland sociology professor Philip Cohen.

Demographers already knew the divorce rate was falling, even if the average American didn’t. Their question, however, was why? And what do current trends mean for the marital prospects of today’s newlyweds?

One theory is that divorce rates are falling largely because of other demographic changes—especially an aging population. Older people are less likely to get divorced, so maybe mellowing boomers were enough to explain the trend. Cohen’s analysis of U.S. Census Bureau survey data, however, suggests something more fundamental is at work. Even when he controls for factors such as age, the divorce rate over the same period still dropped 8 percent.

The marriage rate has also fallen over the last several decades. But Cohen calculates the divorce rate as a ratio of divorces to the total number of married women. So, the divorce rate’s decline isn’t a reflection of a decline in marriages. Rather, it’s evidence that marriages today have a greater chance of lasting than marriages did ten years ago.

“The change among young people is particularly striking,” Susan Brown, a sociology professor at Bowling Green State University, said of Cohen’s results. “The characteristics of young married couples today signal a sustained decline [in divorce rates] in the coming years.”

Young people get the credit for fewer divorces because boomers have continued to divorce at unusually high rates, all the way into their 60s and 70s. From 1990 to 2015, according to Bowling Green’s National Center for Family and Marriage Research, the divorce rate doubled for people aged 55 to 64, and even tripled for Americans 65 and older. Cohen’s results suggest this trend, called “grey divorce,” may have leveled out in the past decade, but boomers are still divorcing at much higher rates than previous generations did at similar ages.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-25/millennials-are-causing-the-u-s-divorce-rate-to-plummet?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=business
View Quote
It ain’t rocket science, young women realize that there’s no point divorcing her husband they have no shared assets with. That, and they have to have a softer Lillypad to land on. Seems like all millennial‘s these days are broke dick motherfuckers Without a pot to piss in and no assets but a leased car and a clothes closet paid for on a credit card.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are you saying non-immigrant millenials are divorcing at about the same rate as boomers?  I simply don't believe that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, this is what's skewing the numbers. Third Worlders don't get divorced, and we've imported millions of them in the time frame that the study cites.

https://i.imgur.com/7wJZJUe.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/7wJZJUe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S7Lz2cf.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/S7Lz2cf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/O6bHFM7.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/O6bHFM7.jpg
"millions of them" is not statistically significant for a study of marriage across the entire country's population.
It is when the their rate is at near zero.
Are you saying non-immigrant millenials are divorcing at about the same rate as boomers?  I simply don't believe that.
Not what I'm saying.

If you think millions of couples from Third World countries, who have a near zero divorce rate, does not impact the overall divorce rate in the US, than math isn't your strong suit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Of the hundreds of millennials that I know well, basically everybody I grew up with or have worked with that is similar in age to me, NONE of them would fit A and B. Some of them didn't get married until recently, some of them are still single but are definitely dating. Maybe those things are true of millennials in urban centers, but not here. Of the small number of millennials that I know who have been divorced and are still single, they're in complete dating hell with the lack of quality people to date. The majority of the people on the market are severely damaged goods.

Regardless of that, the data is specifically based off of divorces to married women so even if what I see around me is not the norm across the country then the data isn't effected by a decline in marriage rates.

More total marriages will result in more total divorces. IMO the percentage doesn't change enough at that point to make either of those conclusions. The chart clearly shows a steady increase in the divorce rate from the 1800's to about the great depression, then it starts to climb faster. This probably has more to do with culture shift towards divorce becoming more acceptable than anything. There is about a 25% divorce rate at the time period you mention and if you look between then and 1970 it stays about the same with minor fluctuations up or down. The biggest change the chart shows is the increase in divorce rate (up to ~50% around 1980) once the no fault divorce laws go into effect.

This could definitely be having an effect as well. I'd love to see the data broken down by race. However, I think if you did a study on this you would find that those same immigrants are more likely to divorce here than if they continued to live wherever they're from. It might not be culturally acceptable among their people, but once they're here they see it as ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure it's been said but OP, really? you can't tell that the data is UNGODLY skewed because

A. millennials meaning anyone born 1980 to the mid 90's ARE BARELY DATING LET ALONE GETTING MARRIED
B. Almost all of them under the age of 30 don't have a real job and STILL LIVE AT HOME

I'd bet this study lumped a bunch of late GenX'ers in there to get their numbers up.

Next you'll be telling us millennials birth rates are up higher than the boomers yet fail to identify that it's non-whites.
Of the hundreds of millennials that I know well, basically everybody I grew up with or have worked with that is similar in age to me, NONE of them would fit A and B. Some of them didn't get married until recently, some of them are still single but are definitely dating. Maybe those things are true of millennials in urban centers, but not here. Of the small number of millennials that I know who have been divorced and are still single, they're in complete dating hell with the lack of quality people to date. The majority of the people on the market are severely damaged goods.

Regardless of that, the data is specifically based off of divorces to married women so even if what I see around me is not the norm across the country then the data isn't effected by a decline in marriage rates.

Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/oq3fcYZ.jpg

now that's interesting.  That post WWII spike in divorce, was it from guys coming back with PTSD and their wives divorced them, or guys came back and discovered their wives were whoring around so the veterans divorced them?
More total marriages will result in more total divorces. IMO the percentage doesn't change enough at that point to make either of those conclusions. The chart clearly shows a steady increase in the divorce rate from the 1800's to about the great depression, then it starts to climb faster. This probably has more to do with culture shift towards divorce becoming more acceptable than anything. There is about a 25% divorce rate at the time period you mention and if you look between then and 1970 it stays about the same with minor fluctuations up or down. The biggest change the chart shows is the increase in divorce rate (up to ~50% around 1980) once the no fault divorce laws go into effect.

Quoted:
The change in demographics of the US plays a role in the lower divorce rate. Third Worlders stay married, because culturally the wife is entirely submissive to the husband. First World women actually have intellect and skill sets.

But, you can't mention that. Because, racism.
This could definitely be having an effect as well. I'd love to see the data broken down by race. However, I think if you did a study on this you would find that those same immigrants are more likely to divorce here than if they continued to live wherever they're from. It might not be culturally acceptable among their people, but once they're here they see it as ok.
Only slightly, because of mass immigration and a concerted effort by the Democrats to encourage them to retain their cultures, they basically live within their own communities in larger cities and do not assimilate.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As a millennial, everyone in my age group who HAS gotten married, is still married.

From what I see, my generation is getting married less often, but staying married when they do. YMMV
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Cheaper to keep her
View Quote
Fo shizzle

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not what I'm saying.

If you think millions of couples from Third World countries, who have a near zero divorce rate, does not impact the overall divorce rate in the US, than math isn't your strong suit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, this is what's skewing the numbers. Third Worlders don't get divorced, and we've imported millions of them in the time frame that the study cites.

https://i.imgur.com/7wJZJUe.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/7wJZJUe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S7Lz2cf.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/S7Lz2cf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/O6bHFM7.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/O6bHFM7.jpg
"millions of them" is not statistically significant for a study of marriage across the entire country's population.
It is when the their rate is at near zero.
Not what I'm saying.

Let's do some math then.  You implied immigrants are a factor here, and the numbers are off if they're not included as a control.  How do married female immigrants not only enter the country at a rate to be significant to this study but also stay married at a rate that would mitigate for this dynamic:

"...a U.S. divorce rate that dropped 18 percent from 2008 to 2016, according to an analysis by University of Maryland sociology professor Philip Cohen....boomers have continued to divorce at unusually high rates, all the way into their 60s and 70s. From 1990 to 2015, according to Bowling Green’s National Center for Family and Marriage Research, the divorce rate doubled for people aged 55 to 64, and even tripled for Americans 65 and older."
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Im sure Arfcom will blame the Boomers
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm a Gen X'er. I didn't marry until 35. I'm now 41 w/ 3 kids.
View Quote
Yeah I got married at 34. Many of us witnessed our parents or friends parents get divorced. Not hard to understand that we were more careful about getting married.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Those that get married for the right reasons stay married.

What this doesn't tell us is the current millenial marriage rate. I would almost be willing to bet we arent getting married as much.
View Quote
That last part is what I believe is true.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#35]
The inability to understand the concept of rates is highly problematic and leads to lots of stupid decisions.

Perhaps the rate of stupid adult people is the problem.

rate of stupid adult people = number of people who can't understand simple concepts such as rate/total population of adults.

Note that children are not included in the calculation of stupid adult people rate.  Therefore, the rate calculation is independent of the number of children in the population.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#36]
That paper really is junk science. Millennials are at risk for divorce for the next 40 years and we won't know what their true divorce rate is going to be for at least another 20 years because many people don't get divorced until their 50s.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#37]
lol at all the butthurt boomers poo-pooing good news.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As a millennial, everyone in my age group who HAS gotten married, is still married.

From what I see, my generation is getting married less often, but staying married when they do. YMMV
View Quote
I'm 30 and not seeing that among people I know.

Among my friends/acquaintances, 3 are still married and 5 are divorced.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That paper really is junk science. Millennials are at risk for divorce for the next 40 years and we won't know what their true divorce rate is going to be for at least another 20 years because many people don't get divorced until their 50s.
View Quote
Go look at the chart posted of marriages & divorces by year. The lines mimic each other pretty damn well, meaning the vast majority of divorces come shortly after marriage.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I said the same thing earlier. These millennial threads are always fun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Go look at the chart posted of marriages & divorces by year. The lines mimic each other pretty damn well, meaning the vast majority of divorces come shortly after marriage.
View Quote
Everyone I know who got divorced did so after 20 or even 30 years of marriage.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
The future risk of divorce is a valid point that cannot be evaluated now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
One other thought--if people are divorced after a year or two of marriage, why do we care? Not much different from roommate boyfriend/girlfriend breaking up. At most there will be one child involved in a divorce after a 2 year marriage, but probably none.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
This seems accurate based on my anecdotal evidence.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you really think you know enough people to have the sample size to call BS on a pretty well established statistic?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Why are boomers (not all boomers) so frequently upset by younger generations possibly doing better than them? Isn’t that the goal, these are your kids. Meanwhile you constantly see X and Millennials praising Gen Z as the saviors, putting faith in them to do better.

What is the difference?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Now, people are under water, or have very little equity.  The same little lady goes to the lawyer, he finds the couple has no or negative equity, and he says you gonna have to post a 10k retainer.  She goes home and figures the old man ain't so bad after all.
View Quote
This is an interesting line of thought.  I always suspected that not so well off folks are less likely to divorce since neither of them can maintain a decent standard of living on their own.  The woman probably realizes that even with child support she's going to be moving to a much crappier area.  Upper middle class and rich women probably know they can punch out with impunity.

Moral of the story, if you're poor go ahead and tie the knot.  If you have decent prospects in life, don't...
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is an interesting line of thought.  I always suspected that not so well off folks are less likely to divorce since neither of them can maintain a decent standard of living on their own.  The woman probably realizes that even with child support she's going to be moving to a much crappier area.  Upper middle class and rich women probably know they can punch out with impunity.  

Moral of the story, if you're poor go ahead and tie the knot.  If you have decent prospects in life, don't...
View Quote
In any relationship, the person who is the bigger piece of shit always has the upper hand.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why are boomers (not all boomers) so frequently upset by younger generations possibly doing better than them? Isn’t that the goal, these are your kids. Meanwhile you constantly see X and Millennials praising Gen Z as the saviors, putting faith in them to do better.

What is the difference?
View Quote
By definition, the Millennials will never do as well as the Baby Boom generation.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
less crotch fruit, no 'need' to get married.
View Quote
Is "crotch fruit" how you typically refer to children?

If so, maybe it's better you don't multiply.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top