Here's a little video showing how Starships brake-flaps will work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdoP1sJP_s
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 6:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By theskuh:
Hopefully stacking it today. Lots of lifting and moving going on. Presentation i believe in the tent with starship backdrop.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/133188/51B59F86-84CC-417B-AA4F-822650E0F60F_jpeg-1102465.JPG
View Quote
I am beginning to doubt it will be stacked today (maybe overnight?) but we shall see. And by that I mean the stacking completed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Attaching canards:

Link Posted: 9/27/2019 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:04:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#7]
Looking at it at night it is very sexy looking. I cannot wait for them to launch this baby!

So much major space news from both manned and unmanned things these past few months. This is really a golden time we are in right now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#8]
mating today

Link Posted: 9/27/2019 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I know SpaceX has proven me wrong many times, but that thing just looks like it's going to have an "unplanned rapid disassembly", specially when they send it up 66,000 ft.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
I know SpaceX has proven me wrong many times, but that thing just looks like it's going to have an "unplanned rapid disassembly", specially when they send it up 66,000 ft.
View Quote
Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly. I hope they have learned enough over the years for that not to be the case but, it’ll be a great show either way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
Perfect is the enemy of good enough.  We need to figure out how to send Chevrolets into space instead of Rolexes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Perfect is the enemy of good enough.  We need to figure out how to send Chevrolets into space instead of Rolexes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Well, Seikos anyway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
It just might.
And SpaceX will figure out what went wrong, build another and launch it.
All while the old space corps are still fretting about clean room standards.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Man, I can't wait to see them land on Mars.

Robert Zubrin is probably sporting a raging boner right now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Same. I have a hard time believing that this thing will make orbit, much less return and land intact. That said, I am confident that future versions of the starship will pull it off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
Same. I have a hard time believing that this thing will make orbit, much less return and land intact. That said, I am confident that future versions of the starship will pull it off.
View All Quotes
This thing is never going to orbit. It’s testing all the suborbital capabilities. It’s not even a full up 2 stage ship, it’s only the upper (2nd) stage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 12:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#17]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Man, I can't wait to see them land on Mars.

Robert Zubrin is probably sporting a raging boner right now.
View Quote
Actually, Zubrin keeps trying to convince SpaceX to scale down their Mars plan so that Starship is only the Earth-LEO-TMI launch platform for......a plan that looks suspiciously like Mars Direct.  He doesn't want Starship actually leaving LEO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RockMech:

Actually, Zubrin keeps trying to convince SpaceX to scale down their Mars plan so that Starship is only the Earth-LEO-TMI launch platform for......a plan that looks suspiciously like Mars Direct.  He doesn't want Starship actually leaving LEO.
View Quote
Hmmm...I did not know that.

I'd rather see SpaceX move huge amounts of stuff on Starship and set up a decent outpost/research station.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#19]
here we go, lifting the top now

Live! 24/7 SpaceX Boca Chica Complex
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:
This thing is never going to orbit. It’s testing all the suborbital capabilities. It’s not even a full up 2 stage ship, it’s only the upper (2nd) stage.
View All Quotes
I believe what you are saying makes far more sense, but I could have sworn that Musk said they are orbital prototypes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe what you are saying makes far more sense, but I could have sworn that Musk said they are orbital prototypes.
View All Quotes
I think they have 2 orbital prototypes under construction, but I don’t think this is one of them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aDOpyUmfL4
View Quote
Careful in the stream chat, the mods are overzealous and do will NOT take kindly to you correcting them when they break the rules. Oh and trump is verboten, even if on topic in regards to the space force.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 3Trip:
Careful in the stream chat, the mods are overzealous and do will NOT take kindly to you correcting them when they break the rules. Oh and trump is verboten, even if on topic in regards to the space force.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3Trip:
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aDOpyUmfL4
The chat rules prohibit politics.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#28]
FInally, the rocket of sci-fi dreams becomes reality.  :)
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
It is an orbital prototype.  Assuming it doesn't blow up in the higher altitude tests then it'll get stacked on top of the super heavy booster that is being built in Florida and put into orbit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Cannot wait for the launch. The Presentation tomorrow as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 3:25:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#34]
They are building the Mk2 at Coco Beach as well, but it is just not as far along. Would still be neat if somehow that had a webcam.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 4:48:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCV_117] [#35]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#36]
When is the launch? Is it going to be from there?
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BigPony:
They are building the Mk2 at Coco Beach as well, but it is just not as far along. Would still be neat if somehow that had a webcam.
View Quote
it would be further if they didnt pull the crews to work on this one
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:00:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#39]
A few years ago we'd have giggled at how comical this thing looks

I love this wacky world we live in. Drag queen storytime, 20 year wars, big shiny spaceships.

It's like a video game parody of humanity written by someone who studied us briefly from light years away
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#40]
who woulda thought that the people predicting the future from the 30's would be right with what a mars bound space ship will look like
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:03:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#41]
Originally Posted By Element94:
When is the launch? Is it going to be from there?
View Quote
Supposedly Oct 31. But that is Elon time. Realistically, probably mid to late November. He is notorious for setting time- frames that always run on best case scenarios

Mk 1 will also launch from there. They have a local launch site, but when it is all done and ready for the moon/mars, the finished product will launch from Kennedy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Musk needed this thing “assembled” as a backdrop for a press conference tomorrow. Who wants to tell the boss no?
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:08:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#43]

Musk needed this thing “assembled” as a backdrop for a press conference tomorrow. Who wants to tell the boss no?
View Quote
Right?? It still has a lot of work to be done before it is launch ready, but he wants at least a finished "looking" product for the big press conference tomorrow. As finished looking as a scaled down prototype only slated to go up 20km can be at least.

Mk2 will be larger still and a bit more finished looking
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RockMech:

View Quote
I don't think Zubrin's ego will allow him to admit that the Starship system is a better idea than his was.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
It will probably need another couple months of work before it can even static fire.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:
Attaching canards:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFcQJa5XYAA0Rvq?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote
It is almost funny, he is building rockets (Boilerplates) in a field for pennies and NASA built a giant building just to assemble them in.  Musk is spending money where it makes the most sense.  Of course you run the risk of it tipping over.  Oooops.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#47]
who woulda thought that the people predicting the future from the 30's would be right with what a mars bound space ship will look like
View Quote
Some old magazine covers that look downright prophetic now:

Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#48]
And he will pretty much reuse everything. They even catch the faring coming down lol. (or try to at least - this endeavor has been hit or miss)

SpaceX Catches Another Fairing with Ms. Tree Ship
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Some old magazine covers that look downright prophetic now:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/assets/48894.0/1584523.jpg https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/assets/48894.0/1584524.jpg
View Quote
Right ??
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:56:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#50]

It will probably need another couple months of work before it can even static fire.
View Quote
yea i just hope they didnt cut too many corners to get the thing "complete".

I am guessing there is a shitload of welding that has to go on inside that probably could have been done when it was split. But not sure how much cooler it would have been. Seems like that thing will be toasty to work inside.
Page / 461
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top