Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 471
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If you look at cam 3 of the stream, the top flew ridiculously high. That was no small amount of pressure. I hope no one was around where it landed.

Link Posted: 11/20/2019 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually I'm wondering if it failed before reaching its specifications, or if it was intended to pressurize until failure... I'm guessing the former but I have no idea.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, this is why they're building a bunch of them...
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
Actually I'm wondering if it failed before reaching its specifications, or if it was intended to pressurize until failure... I'm guessing the former but I have no idea.
View Quote
I don't think they intended failure but I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing an overpressure test to be safe before doing actual fuel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Testing to failure?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ender875:
Testing to failure?
View Quote
They sure did, but there is no way in hell it was intentional. When testing a pressure vessel like that to failure, a containment apparatus will be in place for the pressure bulkhead, among other things.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
On to the next one.

I guess the Mk2 in Cocoa will be the first one to leave the ground.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I bet half of Texas heard that boom
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:
They sure did, but there is no way in hell it was intentional. When testing a pressure vessel like that to failure, a containment apparatus will be in place for the pressure bulkhead, among other things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ender875:
Testing to failure?
Was definitely not intentional. That prototype was suppose to fly in the next month or so.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:

Was definitely not intentional. That prototype was suppose to fly in the next month or so.
View Quote
It's possible it was at a higher than operational pressure to aid in cold-forming, but not intentional for sure.

My money is on a weld to the bulkhead.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:48:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCV_117] [#13]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:
It's possible it was at a higher than operational pressure to aid in cold-forming, but not intentional for sure.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DCV_117:

Frame by frame

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote
RIP.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
SpaceX Starship Mk1 Cryo Failure Aftermath
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I would bet on moisture collection in the outer edge of the bulkhead being the culprit, either from freezing or corrosion.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Every pop off like this before you light the damn thing is a teaching moment and a victory.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#20]

I would bet on moisture collection in the outer edge of the bulkhead being the culprit, either from freezing or corrosion.
View Quote
Ice expansion around there would be a bitch.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
If you look at cam 3 of the stream, the top flew ridiculously high. That was no small amount of pressure. I hope no one was around where it landed.

https://i.imgur.com/mtE7coj.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 8:33:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#22]
SpaceX statement

Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Where is the Mk3 located?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Element94:
View Quote
From what I understand Mk2 is in Cocoa Fl and Mk3 doesn't exist yet. There are signs of Mk 3 pieces in Boca Chica, and Mk4 pieces in Cocoa.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I like things that go boom.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#27]
There's a supposed screen shot from this morning making it's rounds. Grain of salt but it fits with their statement.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#28]
If you're not blowing shit up when building rockets, you're not pushing the envelope very hard. The Mark 1 was piece together by hand and welded up. The later models will be production welded and should be significantly stronger. Mark 3 and 4 have already been planned out. They're finding mistakes and weaknesses with the early versions and fixing them in the later models.

They will blow shit up making this platform. They rebuild 10x faster than NASA ever did and will try again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By StrangerDanger:
If you're not blowing shit up when building rockets, you're not pushing the envelope very hard. The Mark 1 was piece together by hand and welded up. The later models will be production welded and should be significantly stronger. Mark 3 and 4 have already been planned out. They're finding mistakes and weaknesses with the early versions and fixing them in the later models.

They will blow shit up making this platform. They rebuild 10x faster than NASA ever did and will try again.
View Quote
That’s a pretty cavalier attitude towards aerospace science and safety.

You don’t have to kludge together a half-assed flying water tower for a photo op with the big dog. When you do it’s not surprising shit goes spectacularly wrong.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BakNGBpLSYU
View Quote
They are not going to space today....
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#32]

You don’t have to kludge together a half-assed flying water tower for a photo op with the big dog. When you do it’s not surprising shit goes spectacularly wrong.
View Quote
Did anyone die or get hurt? A safety first, ruled by committee at the speed of Government is why we went nowhere for the past 30 years. Make no mistake, people will die on these rockets in the pursuit of progress. Parts will be scattered all over Texas and Florida by the end of this. Hopefully they'll work these bugs out when its unmanned flights. The landing sequence alone of this thing is going to stress the absolute fuck out of that air/space frame.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
you also dont have to have a stand down and multi year hiatus just because some astronauts died. NASA is way too risk averse. People die on airplanes all the time, whats different if its a space ship.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

you also dont have to have a stand down and multi year hiatus just because some astronauts died. NASA is way too risk averse. People die on airplanes all the time, whats different if its a space ship.
Astronauts don't pay for flights, nor do they come cheap. Spacecraft don't grow on trees. Spacecraft blowing up and people dying aren't exactly what the people who fund NASA like to see. Those people are politicians.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Not entirely surprising.  A real bummer but... such things are to be expected with prototypes.

As I understand it the fabrication method was already being changed... so this shouldn't effect much.  What ever can be learned from this and applied to future constructs will be I'm sure.

If you aren't blowing things up you aren't testing things correctly.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
I am betting there were cams on that manlift
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By StrangerDanger:

View Quote
If anyone thought MKI was in any way close to a flyable unit........
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#37]
SpaceX's Starship Popper - Starship Mk1 Ruptures Tank During Test
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Forest:

No it's "If you're blowing things up you're not engineering/building correctly"

We've sent probes to the corona of the Sun and past Pluto - yet we don't routinely blow them up while building them.  Wonder why?
View Quote
We have never sent a ship of this size, with this re-usability up anywhere. Especially not with this time table.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#40]

We've sent probes to the corona of the Sun and past Pluto - yet we don't routinely blow them up while building them.  Wonder why?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
If you aren't blowing things up you aren't testing things correctly.

Cause those weren’t version 0.00000001 giant cryogenic pressure vessels.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Blue_Devil_JD:
We have never sent a ship of this size, with this re-usability up anywhere. Especially not with this time table.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blue_Devil_JD:

It was just a cryogenic tank. The star ship itself is hardly any larger than the shuttle external tank, which was a huge cryo tank.
Mk1 which they were saying since September was going to fly, wasn't even usable let alone reusable. Now they are saying the decision was made that it wasn't going to fly, convenient.
NASA has had standards for this kind of work (and size) since before the Apollo days, but hurry up with this we ain't got time to do it right.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 2:11:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#43]

Link Posted: 11/21/2019 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
View Quote
I suspect the engineer(s) gave the testers a number, they went there, and then they looked for the actual burst point.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:
I like things that go boom.
View Quote
Me too. At a safe distance.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Still safer than the N-1!
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Element94:
View Quote
So far the odd numbers are in Texas and the even numbers in Florida.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By wwace:
If anyone thought MKI was in any way close to a flyable unit........
View Quote
SpaceX said one would fly this year.  Mk1 was the logical version.

Most likely they screwed up.  It will happen plenty more times.  It is probable that many people will die in Starships.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By wwace:
I am betting there were cams on that manlift
View Quote
Their was a cam on it
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 6:20:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#50]

Which means the numbers should be double checked as should the welds.

That's a shit-ton of money and time to throw away because somebody didn't review the design and construction in depth.
View Quote
Mk3 and up are single weld ships

Mk1 and Mk2 are true simple prototypes. In fact the decision had already been made not to even launch mk1. They used it to get the builders experience for the most part. Mk3 will actually be easier for them to build and take less time.
Page / 471
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top