Fish & Wildlife.  Is that State or Fed?
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:
Fish & Wildlife.  Is that State or Fed?
View Quote

US Fish and Wildlife is Fed.

Texas has Texas Parks and Wildlife. (TPWD)  Texas' EPA equivalent is the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
FFS
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
When I saw the test video of the deluge system I noticed the water is just running off the pad into the sand.  I was worried about erosion undermining the pad over time.  Guess now someone has to measure how many fish and birds will die due to the runoff now.

Spa ex needs to build some runoff holding tanks and filters before the fish cops say no more big damn rocket launches.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of chemicals might be coming out of the launch site when they fire the engines?  Doesn't raptor use some hypergolics for startup?  IIRC most hypergolics are nasty stuff.

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mort:
When I saw the test video of the deluge system I noticed the water is just running off the pad into the sand.  I was worried about erosion undermining the pad over time.  Guess now someone has to measure how many fish and birds will die due to the runoff now.

Spa ex needs to build some runoff holding tanks and filters before the fish cops say no more big damn rocket launches.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of chemicals might be coming out of the launch site when they fire the engines?  Doesn't raptor use some hypergolics for startup?  IIRC most hypergolics are nasty stuff.
View Quote

Raptor/starship uses ignitors not hypergolics (TEA-TEB) like merlin/falcon 9.  Space X did build a wall and retention pond for the deluge system, though it doesn't catch all the water.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I doubt there is much getting past that stormwater pond.  Much is getting vaporized.
View Quote
<EPA> Water vapor is a powerful greenhouse gas! </EPA>
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

It's harder and harder to attribute this stuff to incompetence and pointless bureaucracy ... and instead wonder how much is actual deliberate and malice.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fredegar:
FFS

It's harder and harder to attribute this stuff to incompetence and pointless bureaucracy ... and instead wonder how much is actual deliberate and malice.  

Likely a "get both" situation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:21:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#10]

View Quote

I think it's actually a case of the "regulatory office" within an agency (as opposed to, say, the actual "licensing office" at the FAA, which seems to have been very quick to process SpaceX applications) moving at their traditional speed and being unwilling to update procedures to deal with the much more rapid pace of NewSpace testing.  Fish and Wildlife snoozing out a report/inspection in 180 days would mean nothing to old-timey Boeing/ULA/LockMart/NG, who would expect to go 18 months or several years between a RUD and the next flight attempt.  SpaceX goes weeks/months (and RSpace/RocketLab/etc seem to be similar outfits) between a failure and the next iteration's test.

The folks at the FAA (as an example) who deal with space launch (NOTAMs, launch licenses, etc) are (or seem to be) quick off the mark, and know there's a time factor involved.....but they aren't the ones in charge of FAA environmental reviews, and nobody at Fish & Wildlife does "Space".

I don't think there's any "malice" here (as yet....), just bureaucracy that doesn't "do" Space suddenly having to "do" Space and moving at its customary speed.

The dumb part of all this is that, if Musk was doing Starship (as opposed to "just" HLS-Starship) on a NASA/DOD contract.....they'd be launching from the Cape, and blasting every bird, fish, gator, and manatee for miles....with ZFG.  The FAA, EPA, and F&W wouldn't get a say, because .gov launches aren't subject to that kind of interference.  However, since Starship is being launched from Starbase, as a "private" development program, on Musk's own dime.....suddenly the Roolz have to be obeyed in all respects, and they get to move at the speed of Paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Volksgewehr:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Volksgewehr:

I hope spacex figures out a way to pay an expedited fee to cut the timeline from 180+ days down to 4-6 weeks like the FAA.  I doubt musk would even flinch at essentially paying for a few new headcount at F&W if it gets his rocket off the ground more quickly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:

The dumb part of all this is that, if Musk was doing Starship (as opposed to "just" HLS-Starship) on a NASA/DOD contract.....they'd be launching from the Cape, and blasting every bird, fish, gator, and manatee for miles....with ZFG.  The FAA, EPA, and F&W wouldn't get a say, because .gov launches aren't subject to that kind of interference.  However, since Starship is being launched from Starbase, as a "private" development program, on Musk's own dime.....suddenly the Roolz have to be obeyed in all respects, and they get to move at the speed of Paperwork.
View Quote

In other words, "job justification".

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Dear Elon,

Tell everyone to stay the fuck away between xyz time, light that fucker and laugh. Prove to them you can and will win the space race.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Fucking Vogons.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#16]

I think it's actually a case of the "regulatory office" within an agency (as opposed to, say, the actual "licensing office" at the FAA, which seems to have been very quick to process SpaceX applications) moving at their traditional speed and being unwilling to update procedures to deal with the much more rapid pace of NewSpace testing.  Fish and Wildlife snoozing out a report/inspection in 180 days would mean nothing to old-timey Boeing/ULA/LockMart/NG, who would expect to go 18 months or several years between a RUD and the next flight attempt.  SpaceX goes weeks/months (and RSpace/RocketLab/etc seem to be similar outfits) between a failure and the next iteration's test.

The folks at the FAA (as an example) who deal with space launch (NOTAMs, launch licenses, etc) are (or seem to be) quick off the mark, and know there's a time factor involved.....but they aren't the ones in charge of FAA environmental reviews, and nobody at Fish & Wildlife does "Space".

I don't think there's any "malice" here (as yet....), just bureaucracy that doesn't "do" Space suddenly having to "do" Space and moving at its customary speed.

View All Quotes

I said this a few hundred pages ago - anybody who has been to the Cape (awesome beaches) knows it's a wildlife reserve and all the rockets haven't done much to kill all the bugs and birds and fish.

Most of the deluge will be vapor and any runoff will run into that brackish water south of the launch tower, but I doubt it will do any harm (F&W will probably say any fresh water will change salinity and ruin it for some shrimp or something) - at least not much compared to 33 Raptors burning.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#17]

I don't think there's any "malice" here
View Quote

On what do you base this supposition?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

I said this a few hundred pages ago - anybody who has been to the Cape (awesome beaches) knows it's a wildlife reserve and all the rockets haven't done much to kill all the bugs and birds and fish.

Most of the deluge will be vapor and any runoff will run into that brackish water south of the launch tower, but I doubt it will do any harm (F&W will probably say any fresh water will change salinity and ruin it for some shrimp or something) - at least not much compared to 33 Raptors burning.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/239278/Boca_Chica_png-2959586.JPG
View Quote

Vastly more water dilutes the slough every time they get a good rain storm.  The local fauna have coping mechanisms.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By kill-9:

View All Quotes

I don't think there's any "malice" here

Hanlon’s razor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

Vastly more water dilutes the slough every time they get a good rain storm.  The local fauna have coping mechanisms.
View Quote

I doubt the EPA considers facts like that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#21]

View Quote

On the rest of the post that you snipped off.

Also Hanlon's Razor, as noted.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

View All Quotes

Of course.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6VfGnVWYAAB5tv?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I had some down time this weekend and I put on You Only Live Twice. After a few beers I came to the realization that if Elon was evil he could very well be Blofeld and be in charge of SPECTRE.  After all he has made a gigantic rocket ship that could very well capture other ships/satellites and lands the exact same way.  Then I started to figure out what matched: Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion

Special Executive...Check

Counter Intelligence...maybe, have to admit if there were cameras on each Starlink bird then he would have the largest spy network.

Terrorism...Check, at least according to the green hippies worrying about the discharge.

Revenge...Check, fucking over the autoworker union by moving to Texas.

Extortion...Yet to been seen.  However if you replace Extortion for Exposing then a big check considering some of the twitter files that were released.  

Like I said...I had a few beers.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#25]
They will use the government shutdown to delay it.

Like a lot
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#26]
Originally Posted By The_Syndicate:
I had some down time this weekend and I put on You Only Live Twice. After a few beers I came to the realization that if Elon was evil he could very well be Blofeld and be in charge of SPECTRE.  After all he has made a gigantic rocket ship that could very well capture other ships/satellites and lands the exact same way.  Then I started to figure out what matched: Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion

Counter Intelligence...maybe, have to admit if there were cameras on each Starlink bird then he would have the largest spy network.

Terrorism...Check, at least according to the green hippies worrying about the discharge.

Extortion...Yet to been seen.  However if you replace Extortion for Exposing then a big check considering some of the twitter files that were released.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/85934/D35-oBpWwAY2J-e_jpg-2960014.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/85934/yolt02_jpg-2960016.JPG
View Quote

Interesting, one little issue as I see it. The rocket in these images is much closer to Neutron than Starship or Falcon 9.

Rocket Lab's Reusable Neutron Rocket Animation

More than a few people have said that Elon should become a super villain to save humanity from it's own governments. By buying Twitter and shaking everything up there he certainly has painted a giant target on his back.

James Bond - Fun with Blofeld
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Of course not!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By The_Syndicate:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/85934/D35-oBpWwAY2J-e_jpg-2960014.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/85934/yolt02_jpg-2960016.JPG
View Quote

Of course not!

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/thatwasdifferent-667.gif
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Plural.. References..
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By slanted:

Like a lot
View Quote

If the government is shut down tho... who is getting paid to stop them from launching anyways?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

If the government is shut down tho... who is getting paid to stop them from launching anyways?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Like a lot

F-ing checkmate!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By mort:

View Quote

They already have a holding pond.
The chemicals used to start the engines are nitrogen methane and oxygen.
They probably do need to extend the pad a bit to actually catch the likely still potable water after it has been slightly warmed...
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Essential employees.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Like a lot
View Quote

If the government is shut down then they should just launch cause the government cant stop them...
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 8:43:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#35]
Short version:
Possibility of no launch this year.
FWS has 135 days to issue a final biological assessment.
The timeframe can be extended further if additional information is necessary.
Also the previously approved PEA may be invalid due to changes at the pad.

FFS GD treehuggers!

No Starship launch until 2024?! The FWS throws a wrench in Elon Musk's plans!
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 8:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cyclone] [#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fredegar:
FFS

Probably all of it

Musk just needs to develop one of these

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By cyclone:

Probably all of it

Musk just needs to develop one of these

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43372/OIP__2__jpg-2960919.JPG
View Quote
He'll need some "Muskovite."
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#38]
So pathetic. It's bullshit like this that just turns people away from conservation and environmental preservation all together.

Here's the fix. Install a couple of water cannons on the edges of the property and spray a predetermined amount of salt water during launch to maintain salinity. Bonus points if you load it with enviro-nuts' tears.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 1:24:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#40]
Maybe time for NASA and the DOD to step in.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 3:11:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Maybe time for NASA and the DOD to step in.
View Quote

NASA can't do shit, but if the DOD said "this is a national security matter", the grouper troopers get to sod off and go sulk somewhere else, period.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 6:41:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#42]
Originally Posted By WesJanson:

NASA can't do shit, but if the DOD said "this is a national security matter", the grouper troopers get to sod off and go sulk somewhere else, period.
View Quote

Never fuck with the grouper troopers though. I think they have blanket jurisdiction over all LE agencies.
Elon pisses them off and they might seize the entire launch site and everything in it. They love seizing shit just because they can.

Industrial processed waste water ????
WTF ???

And then there is this idiot, I think he is going broke.

No Starship launch until 2024?! The FWS throws a wrench in Elon Musk's plans!
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:
Raptor's got the prettiest exhaust plume out there.

Nick
View Quote
I watched a video by two SpaceX engineers on how they modified the simulation software to use an adaptive grid and totally destroyed combustion instability.
Those guys were scary smart. Glad they're on our side.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#45]
What's this about?
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess they figured they have plenty of time to redesign it or tweak it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#48]
wtf does USFW have to do with what happens on a TX beach?
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
I guess they figured they have plenty of time to redesign it or tweak it.

View Quote

Betting you're right. Fuck the government.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 1:42:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#50]
[Deleted]
Page / 471
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top