BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like the look of the A1 turret.
View Quote

I really liked the thermal gunner’s sight of the A3.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell Yeah M60 Dino Tankers Rule!
Here are some M60a1 and M60a3 tanks from the early 1980's..

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]
..They are still out there in the land. These are being 'fixed up'..

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Darn, that brings back some memories. I was a 63N (Hull Mechanic) before transitioning to M1's in Korea 1990.

How many remember trying to connect the heater exhaust tube? The heater is in this picture, just so tucked in that it is damn near impossible to work on while installed.

Started out on M60A1's, C 6/32 Armor in 1983 with a mix of AOS, and Rise Passives in the company. C company was the first company in 4ID to get the M60A3 in Oct of 1984.

I still remember some of the circuit numbers for systems that always needed work. (Start, charge, fuel pumps, gages)
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The models with ERA on them were pretty cool
View Quote

We got the ERA just before the Gulf War. I never heard of any M-60 being saved by it. That is, taking a hit and the ERA defeating the round. To my knowledge, no Marine armor was destroyed by Iraqi fire of any kind. The only losses I know of were from mines or mechanical issues.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Drive past this one somewhere around eight to a dozen times a year, part of a veterans tribute alongside the eastbound Highway 29 offramp for Cadott, WI.

No idea whatsoever about the accuracy or lack thereof on the plaque:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Marines used M-60s during the First Gulf War.  They were quite effective against Iraqi T-55s and T-62s.  Don't know if they ever encountered Republican Guard troops though.
View Quote

My unit engaged with elements of the Iraqi 5th mechanized division. I did see killed T-72s in our AO, but I don't recall if the RG was the only unit that had them. My perspective on what was going on was in a
pretty small bubble.

The only T-72 I was close enough to, to see what killed it, had been taken out by a Grunt with an AT-4. It was hit from the side from about 50 meters away. The turret popped and landed upside-down on the hull.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember crawling all over NG M-60s at state fairs as a kid. Loved 'em.

Nothing tops the M-1 Abrams, though. Those were badass in the early '80s and still badass today.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wasn’t the commanders cupola supposed to be like a hunter killer setup like modern tanks? The TC looks for targets while the gunner is engaged?
The Israelis didn’t like the higher silhouette.
View Quote

I've also heard the cupola had a tendency to shear off when the vehicle was hit, killing the TC. Not sure how often this happened, but enough times to have made it into discussions about what the Israeli didn't like about the '60.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#11]
My dad was a Captain and did training exclusively with the M60, no idea where though he doesn't talk about it much. I know volunteered during Vietnam and specifically went into armor hoping he wouldn't get sent overseas. Spent two years enlisted than went through OCS and then spent another 8 years in doing training as an officer. I know he said he enjoyed shooting, he said he'd often have a ton of ammo left over when units wouldn't show up and he'd spend his weekend shooting shit up so he didn't have to return anything.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Are those headed for Taiwan?

Taiwan M60A3 Tank Upgrade Package.

Or Ukraine

M60 Main Battle Tank- Raytheon Upgrades M60A3

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Let’s get some M60A2 going!

When I went to AOBC we used M60A3s for the “10 day war”. That was 1989. All other training was done on M1IP tanks with an add on for those guys going to M1A1 units.
View Quote

Starship lover
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They should have gone with a low German style commander cupola from the get-go. That mini turret was hot garbage.
View Quote

I think somewhere and I can't remember which country decided to put the M60 commander cupola on a M113 as a test bed for increasing protection while still having firepower for the commander.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#16]

..The latter-
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#18]
My brother was a driver in the late 70's in Germany.
Here he is headed to Graf I think.

Attachment Attached File

My dad was a tanker starting is the 50's.
My favorite picture of him below.
A great memory was him getting my brother and I up early and we got to ride in the commanders cupola through Los Angles area streets when they were moving some tanks to the railyard back in the mid 60's.
Very cool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

me as well.. 8th ID 1/68 armor.
View Quote

8 UP!!!

Funny story.

Was in an Army Surplus store a few days ago and they had a ton of Velcro 8th ID patches.

The 8th ID was disbanded before Velcro patches were a thing.  WTF?

@fat_mcnasty

I was 4/34 AR in Mainz…
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep. We were at Ft. Hood around '73-'74, and then moved to Germany for a few years. He was with 2nd AD. I can't recall which battalion/regiment now; I knew it at one time.

He's gotta be near 70. He was around 20 when I was born, and I'm almost 50 now.
View Quote
I did pretty much same. Left 1/67 2nd AD @ Ft Hood in '74 for 3/64 3rd ID near Schweinfurt. We had the A2s at Ft Hood but didn't get them in Germany until 76 or 77. If I'd had to exchange rounds with Ivan I would have preferred being in an A1 or A3 just for the higher rate of fire. It seemed to take forever for that breech to open and close on the A2.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I did pretty much same. Left 1/67 2nd AD @ Ft Hood in '74 for 3/64 3rd ID near Schweinfurt. We had the A2s at Ft Hood but didn't get them in Germany until 76 or 77. If I'd had to exchange rounds with Ivan I would have preferred being in an A1 or A3 just for the higher rate of fire. It seemed to take forever for that breech to open and close on the A2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. We were at Ft. Hood around '73-'74, and then moved to Germany for a few years. He was with 2nd AD. I can't recall which battalion/regiment now; I knew it at one time.

He's gotta be near 70. He was around 20 when I was born, and I'm almost 50 now.

Daddy?!

Seriously, though, 1/67 sounds familiar, and some of the other details do too. You may have served with my father.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The other side of the M60 out front at the National Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois, WY.  

250 vehicles inside.  Many more outside.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1292/20231111_135537-3046270.jpg
View Quote

Been there , couldn't do it all in a day ,  need to go back .   Place is world class .
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#23]
NTC field call to troubleshoot a 60 having some intercom issues.
Narrowed it down to a flaky slip ring assembly.
Slip ring assembly buried center of the hull under floor plates slathered in pickle juice / sand-dirt.
Apparently someone thought a 1 gallon GLASS jar of pickles wouldn’t be an issue inside a tank.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]
NTC 1984...Let it Snow Baby...

Gunnery at NTC...Gunner...Smoke...Troops in the open....!!

Harv24 rates the Russians...."There Pussies!!"

Laying waste to the Commie Hordes..."Budddaa..Budddaa...Budddaa...Budddaa!

And here is it's Grandpa...A D-Day Sherman

Lot of great memories on that beast....

Like the time me and a fellow Master gunner tried out the indirect fire capability using the 105mm firing tables, the Mil output counter and a M1A1 gunner quadrant.

We lased to an old M103 hard target that was out past 8000meters. looked up the amount of super elevation required to get a HEP rd there, calculated the drift. It was just us two in the turret, he's in the gunner's seat and I'm standing behind in the TC's position.

I go over to the loaders station and jack one in, arm the gun and he lets one fly.
Gun recoils...cannister ejects and hits the turret floor...I move over to the TC's spot and look in the LRF....and see the rd drop down and hit about 150meters in front of the target. We repeat the process about 3 times and SPLASH!!!..target...Cease fire.

The fire control on the A3 was quite good for its time. Bur Brother...When we got the M1's....There was no looking back.

I don't missing pulling Torsion bars...

I do miss the autobahn seat under the cupola. Made radio watch at night much more bearable.

Fun Fact..If you pour water into a dehydrated beef patty, set it in the ammo tray in the cupola, then forget about it until stand to...about 4 hrs. later....
It's still dehydrated!!!!!

The M85 MG had a bad rap, but I could always make them work. You needed lots of oil.

I wish Ian on forgotten weopons would do the M85, that is truly a forgotten weapon.

I still have my TM manual with all the changes....
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Just remembered I had another friend who was an officer over 60's in Germany. He was in the 68th and was in Germany in the early 70's, he was only in 69-72'. Unfortunately, he's not around to ask anymore. He did tell me a few good stories about a few training accidents, including putting a random grunt, not a tanker in an idling tank so he could show "readiness" even with a severe lack of personnel. He said he was walking the line and heard tracks clinking and saw too late that the parking break on that tank wouldn't hold and it rolled down a very steep hillside. It was such an inline he had to slide down the hill to get the guy out and had to get a rope to pull them out. Said it took two recovery tanks to get it out, they had to hang one off the side of the hill with the second to pull it up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They should have gone with a low German style commander cupola from the get-go. That mini turret was hot garbage.
View Quote

The IDF immediately took that off since the Syrian Sagger gunners aimed for that weak spot.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

8 UP!!!

Funny story.

Was in an Army Surplus store a few days ago and they had a ton of Velcro 8th ID patches.

The 8th ID was disbanded before Velcro patches were a thing.  WTF?

@fat_mcnasty

I was 4/34 AR in Mainz…
View Quote

I love one just for the memories.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My brother was a driver in the late 70's in Germany.
Here he is headed to Graf I think.

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

My battalion had a kid get decapitated doing something like that. Tank sitting stationary for a bit, driver leaned out of his hatch to spit his tobacco juice just as the turret rotated, caught his CVC and pinched his head off.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The IDF immediately took that off since the Syrian Sagger gunners aimed for that weak spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a myth. You're not going to see that level of detail thru the Sagger Optic, looking at a tank at 2000 meters. You're aiming center mass of the entire tank.

The Sagger caught the IDF by surprise, but the eventually learned TTP's to lessen the threat.
One was to fire WP rds at a launch signature. Only the most superhuman of Egyptians is going to stay on his guidance system and steer the missile while his ass is on fire.

The M119 Cupola was over complicated for what it did and gave the tank a higher profile in a Turret down defilade. Switching to a simple skate ring with a 7.62mm GPMG made more sense. Tank Commanders need to control the tank, not play with a .50 Cal that had dubious accuracy and reliability.

The ammo tray held 190 rds and reloading it (especially with the hatch closed) was difficult and time intensive. If the belt got hung up, you would get a stoppage.
The M36E1 Passive elbow sucked on a dark night with no illumination.

The high rate fire switch on the M85 was there for Aircraft. And everybody knew you were not engaging Aircraft with the Cupola.

Later doctrine utilized the main gun and APFSDS-T for Hind-D's. Which tells you all you need to know.

Fun Fact...The TTS (Tank Thermal sight) in the A3 was a 2nd gen thermal and why it was better than the 1st gen TIS (Thermal Imaging Sight) on the Early M1's.

cost and size drove that desicion. We were underwhelmed on the early M1's. But the eventually corrected that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Saddest M60A3 sight I ever saw…late 1996 at Fort Hood…probably 40 or so parked in a field next to range control along motorpool mile …I was curious and asked a friend at III Corps G3 ops WTF…they were all being transported down to Galveston for a one way trip to become reefs in the Gulf of Mexico….

On another tangent, surprised nobody mentioned the biggest POS in the turret of a M48A5 or M60 series…the M73/M219 coax.  Best day of my life as a DAT was DX’ing them for the new M240, in late 1978 at Fort Lewis!
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, the M73/219 was a horrid COAX.
When the M240 came out it was a Godsend.  I remember loading for another tank during TT8 and during a MG engagement, the solenoid would fail, and you just pressed the trigger on the back and held it until they yelled cease fire.

And if you got a runaway gun, you had to reach in and grab the belt and twist it to force a stoppage to get it to stop.

Fun story, while testing out on Load/Unload/ Disassemble and assemble/function test the M240 in gun school, they gave you like 12 mins to do it all.
Like most schools, they teach you a method, and all you have to do to pass, is to follow said method.

So I get to the very end, I tell the instructor I'm complete. He looks at me, looks at the gun and says, "Are you sure?"

I confidently reply, "Yes Sgt" and I watch as he proceeds to remove the barrel, then he removes the gas regulator from the barrel, picks up the Reaming tool that is used to clean the three gas ports on the gas regulator and pokes it thru one of the gas port holes.....and a piece of pencil lead falls out!!!

Son of a B&^%!!!

And the lesson learned that day... Attention to fuckin detail.... part of the instruction was to take the reamer tool and insert into all three holes to check for dirt/debris or foreign material. And I skipped that step. it was my first No/Go. I had to come back in the afternoon and retest. While the students who tested out and got all first-time go's, had the afternoon off.  As always, it pays to be a winner....
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
NTC 1984...Let it Snow Baby...
https://i.imgur.com/TccVIyP.jpg

Gunnery at NTC...Gunner...Smoke...Troops in the open....!!
https://i.imgur.com/hdI1QtZ.jpg

Harv24 rates the Russians...."There Pussies!!"
https://i.imgur.com/hReFHiE.jpg

Laying waste to the Commie Hordes..."Budddaa..Budddaa...Budddaa...Budddaa!
https://i.imgur.com/fC5bK7q.jpg

And here is it's Grandpa...A D-Day Sherman
https://i.imgur.com/JcuauNM.jpg

Lot of great memories on that beast....

Like the time me and a fellow Master gunner tried out the indirect fire capability using the 105mm firing tables, the Mil output counter and a M1A1 gunner quadrant.

We lased to an old M103 hard target that was out past 8000meters. looked up the amount of super elevation required to get a HEP rd there, calculated the drift. It was just us two in the turret, he's in the gunner's seat and I'm standing behind in the TC's position.

I go over to the loaders station and jack one in, arm the gun and he lets one fly.
Gun recoils...cannister ejects and hits the turret floor...I move over to the TC's spot and look in the LRF....and see the rd drop down and hit about 150meters in front of the target. We repeat the process about 3 times and SPLASH!!!..target...Cease fire.

The fire control on the A3 was quite good for its time. Bur Brother...When we got the M1's....There was no looking back.

I don't missing pulling Torsion bars...

I do miss the autobahn seat under the cupola. Made radio watch at night much more bearable.

Fun Fact..If you pour water into a dehydrated beef patty, set it in the ammo tray in the cupola, then forget about it until stand to...about 4 hrs. later....
It's still dehydrated!!!!!

The M85 MG had a bad rap, but I could always make them work. You needed lots of oil.

I wish Ian on forgotten weopons would do the M85, that is truly a forgotten weapon.

I still have my TM manual with all the changes....
https://i.imgur.com/8jChXhG.jpg
View Quote

Cool story. But yeah, I heard when tankers got their M1s it was they won the tank lottery.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I actually just saw an old broke down M60A3 sitting in a motor pool on Camp Blanding here in Florida earlier this afternoon. It’s not a museum tank or target either, I’ll take pics of it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I really need to drive over there and check it out.

View Quote

You won't be sorry. I've been 3 times from Utah.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So many things to like in this thread.

First, tank chats are awesome. Anything put out by The Tank Museum is great. I highly recommend visiting.

Second, the first hand accounts of all the armor boys is amazing. I've always been fascinated by that side of the house. Just glad I'm not them as I'm flying over them in the suck.

And lastly, go the the National Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois, Wyoming. If you can't make it to England, that is a damn fine alternative.
View Quote

Agree. The NMMV is a National Treasure.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Started out in them 1st Cav 2-12. then in early 81 the XM1 arrived.

Even spent some time in the M48 at Fort Irwin around mid 81  somehow my ass got chosen for Opfor and we had to go against the M1's
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Looks like REFORGER. I much preferred being in the air. DUSTOFF Europe 77-80.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Shared the Motor Pool with a battalion of them when I first went .

Ah yes, seeing tank crews wash down their Mounts after coming in from The Field.

Breaking Treads and Other goodies, too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

How far would that light project?
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone know if the current AVLBs are still M60 chassis or have they been replaced by M1 based hull?
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I always thought the A3, caked in ERA, was cool-looking. Israeli Magachs were cool, too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Looks like REFORGER. I much preferred being in the air. DUSTOFF Europe 77-80.
View Quote

Yep, REFORGER 84..

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was at Ft. Knox with a M60a1. They could light up an area, but rare to ever see one even turned on.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That was at Ft. Knox with a M60a1. They could light up an area, but rare to ever see one even turned on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured it wouldn't be used much.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I love one just for the memories.
View Quote

@fat_mcnasty

I will stop in and grab a handful.

Come to think of it, it does make sense that they exist, some would have been needed as combat patches for a very small amount of people.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Cool.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#47]
It was a great tank in its heyday but it was kept in frontline service at least 10 years too long.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#48]
The Israelis have done some interesting modifications to the 60
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Tank Museum near Desert Center CA has a number of M60s. One M26, several M47s, a Stuart and Sherman.
View Quote

Chiraco Summit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Xenon light put out 1Million Candlepower. You could light up a target out to 1500meters.
The process was to have another tank light up a target and then the wing tank engage it looking thru their daylight sight.

In the defense you would set up TRP's (Target reference points) and create a range card. Using the Azmiuth Indicator and the Quadrant Elevation.

Then at night, if you had a suspected enemy tank. you could have the searchlight tank light up the TRP while the other tanks looked for and engaged the bad guys.

You could only light up the TRP for 10 -15 seconds, and then kill the light and move to your alternate defensive position. (Which also had a range card set up during the day).

Illumination rds. from Mortars was another TTP to engage at night. Thermal Night vision changed all that.

And you had to have the driver run up the engine to about 1500RPMs when that light kicked on...The control box for it was located on the turret wall in the TC's position.

There was a storage position for the searchlight located on the turret bustle rack. You popped the quick disconnects and the power cable that screwed into a receptacle on the turret roof. took three guys to lift that beast.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top