Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody dies of natural causes in Harlan County.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been visiting KY for years. Finally moved here a few months back. I love it here.
Lexington and Louisville are left leaning, but that is to be expected...
Land around Lexington is way more expensive than I ever would have imagined due to the horse farms and lack of development in(some areas).

As much as I like rural areas, there are parts of KY that I wouldn’t put at the top of my list.

Overall, I love this state.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Lexington - Paris - Nicholasville - Winchester - areas in far east Louisville or east of Louisville - Bardstown - are all okay if you want to be near larger cities.   If you want smaller cities: Monticello, Somerset, Danville, Lebanon, Maysville, and others.  Last I knew, the have personal property taxes but are otherwise similar to other states.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I lived in Louisville for 9 years and basically everything you said is complete shit.

Louisville is a great city, awesome parks, great food, and lots of entertainment.

Its a bigger city (small side of large) and has common big city issues, but its no Baltimore.

Thats not to say Nashville is bad, also a good city.
View Quote
Louisville is a total broken shithole NOW.
The liberal mayor can't even balance the budget.  Murder rate is on par for a new record and once nice neighborhoods, like mine are going ghetto.
Louisville today is a total piece of shit. How many other cities made children get hepatitis A shots? Oh yea, that is because our homeless population has went sky high too. Shit in the streams, fountains or where ever they can wash their assholes.
Soon as my youngest graduates, I'm out of here, Fuck Louisville!
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Born and raised about 15 minutes (since they built the new road, more like 30 minutes back in the day) from Bowling Green, Kentucky. Now I live just a few minutes south down in Tennessee. BG has that little big town thing going on where it has lots of stuff to do, but you're only minutes from farm country. It's just a hop down to Nashville on I-65, too. Easy jaunt up to Owensboro and Evansville, IN area on Green River Parkway, too. Worst thing about living in Kentucky is the yearly vehicle tax; it can suck if you drive new vehicles. Land taxes aren't bad. Think I paid about $950 last year on 160 acres of farmland. Basketball is a religion. Lots of truck pulling in Soky, too.
View Quote
All these mentions of vehicle registration is scaring me. I currently pay about $400 year for my truck in CA, 2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax. Would I be better off leaving it registered in CA?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Having left Va for Ky here are my observations.

1.  Taxes are higher than in VA.  I came from Henrico county and my property taxes there were about the same on a house less than half the value in VA.  
2.  Car taxes are more.  I had a 15 year old truck and had to pay the difference in sales taxes between what I paid in Va in 2001 and what I would have had to pay in KY.  Never mind I had owned it for 15 years.  That was just to register it.  And dont forget you have to physically bring each car to the clerk to check the odometer.
3.  Find a job in a stable industry or bring it with you.  Good paying jobs are hard to find in the rural areas.
4.  Land is cheap and so is housing.
View Quote
The only time they have ever checked my odometer is when I brought a vehicle in from out of state, and that is only for the first time its registered. Not sure what is going on there.Yes, there is a yearly tax that I think is BS, but it will not be much for a 15+ year old vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I've lived in Kentucky all my life. It's beautiful. I moved to Indiana. Kentucky is in a shit ton of debt due to being Democrat controlled for over a 100 years due to teacher pensions, medicaid, and a lot of government bureaucracy. Property tax/taxes in Indiana are a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in Louisville. Move as Far East and south as you can.

If you are going to work on the outskirts of the city, might want to consider living in an adjoining county and driving it daily.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Somewhere west of Paducah if I had to move there.  There's some pretty country near the confluence of the Ohio  and Mississippi.
View Quote
Or east in Marshall county where I'm from. May have a place for sale there in the near future but can't say when for certain.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on what you're looking for do determine what a shithole is. Others have laid out the tax situation pretty well. The area between Bowling Green and Owensboro is a nice balance of rural and urban. You have access to most of the amenities that city life brings, but hit farmland very quickly headed out of either town. Traffic is better in Owensboro than BG, but BG has much better interstate access.

If you're looking for urban life, Louisville or Lexington are really the only two choices with Lex being the better of the two IMO. If you want to be left alone, look pretty much anywhere else in the state and it's fairly easy to find solitude (but not jobs).
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

All these mentions of vehicle registration is scaring me. I currently pay about $400 year for my truck in CA, 2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax. Would I be better off leaving it registered in CA?
View Quote
My new trucks window sticker was $67k, not sure how they assess it but I just cut a check for $850. I have a 1997 f250 that I pay about $75.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it humid as hell in KY?  I've heard the Elk hunting is awesome, but I've never visited or been to KY.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
That'll cost you about $125-150 this year, plus whatever the difference is sales tax was (one time fee). The yearly rate will decrease as the value of the truck decreases.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is it humid as hell in KY?  I've heard the Elk hunting is awesome, but I've never visited or been to KY.
View Quote
humidity is relative (pun intended), it's not nearly as bad here as it is in the deep south but there are certainly some miserable days. Worst part of the weather is how quickly it changes. Not unheard of to have 60's-70's one day and freezing the next.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Kentuckys awesome.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]
All I know is Harlan from the TV

Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Same. I planned on long-term sustainability by cashing out my 401k to invest in a whore house.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Born and raised about 15 minutes (since they built the new road, more like 30 minutes back in the day) from Bowling Green, Kentucky. Now I live just a few minutes south down in Tennessee. BG has that little big town thing going on where it has lots of stuff to do, but you're only minutes from farm country. It's just a hop down to Nashville on I-65, too. Easy jaunt up to Owensboro and Evansville, IN area on Green River Parkway, too. Worst thing about living in Kentucky is the yearly vehicle tax; it can suck if you drive new vehicles. Land taxes aren't bad. Think I paid about $950 last year on 160 acres of farmland. Basketball is a religion. Lots of truck pulling in Soky, too.
Think they charge $4.50 per $1000 of value according the NADA Clean Trade value. So you'll probably save money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That'll cost you about $125-150 this year, plus whatever the difference is sales tax was (one time fee). The yearly rate will decrease as the value of the truck decreases.
View Quote
Ok, that is not bad at all compared to what I am used to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Their Jelly is awful.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a sister that lives in Paris, Ky.  They own a cattle farm that is surrounded by some of the most expensive horse farms in the world.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Kentuckys awesome.
View Quote
This.

I live west of Bowling Green.  Been here all my life except during service. Can't imagine living anywhere else.  With that being said, I can't see any neighbors and live in the middle of a  beef farm.  Great place and lifestyle to raise chillerns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Do any parts of it have a winter worth a shit?  I see that some places get 13" or so of snow a year - is there some magical place that gets more?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread is relevant to my interests.  I'm also considering Tennessee.

I retire in a couple years, and my wife and I want out of Wisconsin.  I was born and raised here and love this state.  But income and property taxes are high, and I can see the liberal shit holes of Milwaukee and Madison having more political influence over the state in the years ahead.  That also means infringement of my 2A rights.

I do need to be within a days drive of my grand kids and family, and either Kentucky and parts of Tennessee will meet that criteria.

I'm searching Zillow for property near Bowling Green - which I've been to and liked.  I notice that they don't have a lot of homes with basements - which I want.  But I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I live in the South Central part of the state.  Depends on what you are looking for.  You want major metro, you’ll have to look at Louisville and Lexington.  Lexington is not really major metro, but should have enough to satiate most people looking for large city feel.

For me, I much prefer smaller city and rural area.  Grew up in the mountains of E. KY in a town who’s local high school was 5’th through 12th grade and a graduating class of 25-30.  That area has been hit hard with the lack of jobs from coal, but there are still opportunities.

In a perfect world, I’d love to live just across the line in TN (no state income tax) and drive into KY for all shopping (6% sales tax in KY vs. 9-10% sales tax for TN).  Unfornately, very few places like that exist where driving into KY wouldn’t eat into your savings from the gas.

ETA:  if you move here ... leave any voting tendencies that might have even the slightest liberal leanings.  . Don’t bring the baggage from wherever you are moving from.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What's the tax situation like and what areas aren't shitholes?
View Quote
Tax situation is not horrible, but not great.  TN is better in that respect.

Louisville is kind of crappy in places. Like any city, has good spots and bad spots.  University of Louisville brings some college/sjw touch to the place.  The only other bad places in the state are some of the extremely poor rural towns out east, and it's more that they're poor than truly bad.

The good spots are: the nice places in Louisville, Lexington, Versailles area, Owensboro area, Paducah area.  It is one of the very best states in the union on gun laws.  They recently passed permitless carry for residents, all NFA is good to go.  Kentucky CCDW covers the carry of any weapon, not just handguns.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Very interested in this thread as well. Looks like I will be moving out there by the end of the year for work. My work would be close to I-265 and I-65. Single, no kids, no friends or family out there. I would be going blind, but this is a great opportunity to finally leave CA for me.

How would the commute look like from the St. Matthews area? Is there any fishing or water activities on the Ohio River?
View Quote
I lived in St. Matthews for two years while going to school at UL and the commute into town wasn't bad, just like any decent sized city there are traffic concerns in the morning and afternoon.

I liked St. Matthews, nice area and close enough to do things near downtown but far enough away to not be restrictive. It's been 18 years since I lived down there so it may have changed.

Wicks pizza is food of the gods. On Bardstown Rd. along with a ton of eateries and bars.

I grew up in N Ky and while it was nice it has gotten way overcrowded and full of assholes. I have family there so I visit once a year if I can.

Eastern part of the state is redneck hillbillyville but beautiful and the folks are much nicer. Had friends in Rowan, Pike, Letcher, and Lawrence Counties. Good people.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:25:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mostly just trout fishing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very interested in this thread as well. Looks like I will be moving out there by the end of the year for work. My work would be close to I-265 and I-65. Single, no kids, no friends or family out there. I would be going blind, but this is a great opportunity to finally leave CA for me.

How would the commute look like from the St. Matthews area? Is there any fishing or water activities on the Ohio River?
Do you like catfish and sauger?
Mostly just trout fishing.
The state may still release trout in streams and rivers at certain times of the year. They post when and where. Bass fishing on farm ponds is my favorite and easy to do in KY.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Basically the west side of Louisville and most of Covington and Newport (both located riverside opposite of Cincinnati) are shit holes. There is a ton of poor white trash out in the small towns and countryside that are a mix of just poor to meth addicted psycho-billies. There is a quite a variance in terrain from east (mountainous) to west (flat). If I had to choose one area it would be somewhere near Lexington, like Nicholasville. But it all depends, if you want more rural and/or cheaper living you can find very inexpensive land and homes way out away from the interstate.
View Quote
There are good and bad parts of both cities. I lived in East row district of Newport for about 5 years. Houses are much nicer. Not a bad place to live at all of you like city living.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Grew up in Morgantown. Currently live in Bowling Green and commute to Morgantown for work. I love it here. BG is a huge car town - Corvette plant and museum are here, NCM road course, and of course Beech Bend drag strip. Tons of poker games to be found. Local music scene is pretty good. WKU sports are decent. Hunting and fishing are good. Plenty of things to like.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pike County, be scared, be very scared.
View Quote
Because Pike County is near wet, wild, & wonderful West Virginia?
Don't make me repost L_JE's hilarious take on WV!  
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Central KY the Bluegrass Lexington area is where I would look. We don’t claim Louisville might as well give it to Indiana. Eastern KY simply doesn’t have jobs or much else. Low cost of living means low wages however good place to retire to but not to retire from (if you plan on retiring elsewhere)
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have been visiting KY for years. Finally moved here a few months back. I love it here.
Lexington and Louisville are left leaning, but that is to be expected...
Land around Lexington is way more expensive than I ever would have imagined due to the horse farms and lack of development in(some areas).

As much as I like rural areas, there are parts of KY that I wouldn’t put at the top of my list.

Overall, I love this state.
View Quote
If you go East or West Lexington one or two counties it’s plenty cheap. Only Georgetown (North) and Nicholasville (South) is more expensive.

I think Richmond is a nice enough town.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a sister that lives in Paris, Ky.  They own a cattle farm that is surrounded by some of the most expensive horse farms in the world.
View Quote
Kentucky is the largest producer of Beef cattle East of the Mississippi. Paris is a very nice small town.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Why, are you moving?

If so, fuck KY ... WV is where it's at home boy ... or girl ... or whatever you are
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Justified - You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I find the women in Kentucky have less teeth than the ones in Tennessee. My dads side of the family all live in Tennessee, as did I for a while.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Central KY the Bluegrass Lexington area is where I would look. We don’t claim Louisville might as well give it to Indiana. Eastern KY simply doesn’t have jobs or much else. Low cost of living means low wages however good place to retire to but not to retire from (if you plan on retiring elsewhere)
View Quote
Ha-ha. Nice try. The Commonwealth was founded before the Hoosier state. Metro Louisville is all yours, you made it, you keep it.
Indiana must be doing something right, Kentucky keeps building bridges across the Ohio River.

Hope you LOVE basketball, OP. U of L or UK choose wisely.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Home of "Nasty women", Ashley Judd.
View Quote
Not really.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why, are you moving?

If so, fuck KY ... WV is where it's at home boy ... or girl ... or whatever you are
View Quote
See what good manners the mountaineers have? To their neighbor no less! Gentlemen all I say! Why who wouldn’t want to live in that fine state?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests.  I'm also considering Tennessee.

I retire in a couple years, and my wife and I want out of Wisconsin.  I was born and raised here and love this state.  But income and property taxes are high, and I can see the liberal shit holes of Milwaukee and Madison having more political influence over the state in the years ahead.  That also means infringement of my 2A rights.

I do need to be within a days drive of my grand kids and family, and either Kentucky and parts of Tennessee will meet that criteria.

I'm searching Zillow for property near Bowling Green - which I've been to and liked.  I notice that they don't have a lot of homes with basements - which I want.  But I'll keep looking.
View Quote
It's regional. Around Bowling Green you are in cave country. You might have to dig the basement out of solid rock. Property gets listed as X acres and Y caves. It is beautiful around BG.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
If my job were there, I'd look at Bullitt Co over St Matthews.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nobody dies of natural causes in Harlan County.
View Quote
Yeah, I saw this documentary about it a while back. Raylan somebody was in it...

I worked in eastern KY in 2003. Friendly people, great gun laws, weather was better than IL. Hell, everything was better than IL.

I was renting during the short time I worked there, so I can't speak about the taxes.

I'm not sure if they tax retirement money like so many states do these days.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Been watching that show.  It's a cool show.  But the KY I've seen isn't like that.  Guess everyplace has an underbelly.

Shelbyville is nice.  Don't move here OP if you have allergies, you will die.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Daddy worked like a mule mining Pike County coal.

He fucked up his back, he couldn't work anymore.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do any parts of it have a winter worth a shit?  I see that some places get 13" or so of snow a year - is there some magical place that gets more?
View Quote
Most of the time it's just a little bit of snow.  Evey now and then we get a humdinger but most of the time it's not bad.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top