Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I remember the mid 2000’s reading here than anything above 100 lumens will blind you in a CQB scenario. Incandescent was still superior to LED.

Now a $17 two pack of LED headlamps have 1200 lumens.

The advancement of tech with flashlights is mind boggling.

What was cutting edge 3-5 years ago is downright antiquated.

All of my lights are old tech, but I feel like I’m wasting my money buying anything new because it will be out of date in a year or two.

Anyone care to explain what the hell is going on in the flashlight world? Will we ever plateau?
View Quote

Yeah well that whole “it is too bright!” argument is totally ridiculous in actual real life situations and training scenarios.  More is generally better.  I lived the whole evolution- Surefire 60 lumen handheld and weapon lights, up to a 3500 lumen handheld, 1000 or more lumen weaponlights….  Buddy was in a shooting where those old school P60 bulbs were fucking worthless at a mid distance of 40 yds.  Both of us upgraded right afterwards to 300 lumen lights, which only had a short run time due to battery drain and overheating issues (12PM light).  When actual weapon lights came out with more lumens it was great, every couple years they just basically improved hugely.  

Yeah LED tech is awesome…I am a fan!
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That seems like neat tech. I wonder what the battery life is on one of those devices.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:55:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Can remember shooting at night at hogs and coyotes and taking a small car battery to the field to run the 12volt qbeam. Things change. Throw the battery down, sit down, look for hogs or turn on the tape and shine the qbeam and shoot lol.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I saw one of the old 6-D Maglites the other day, look how far we have come.
View Quote

But the newer lights just don't make the same satisfying sound when they hit someone upside the head.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:58:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

NEGATIVE. Get Malkoff conversion kits for them. Then you have a super bright LED light that you can still beat the crap out of a muthafucka who needs it with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found 2 of my mag lights this week. I need to throw them away

NEGATIVE. Get Malkoff conversion kits for them. Then you have a super bright LED light that you can still beat the crap out of a muthafucka who needs it with.

Only bother if you can switch them to different batteries like 18650’s.  I can’t imagine using a C or D cell flashlight.  

My Streamlight Ultra stingers with LED upgrades (which stopped being made, then came out from a different place but by then 18650’s were a thing) were pretty decent impact tools.  Would not want to get hit with my newer 3500 lumen Streamlight either…

Admittedly- gotta always be an aluminum body light.  Plastic flashlights suck for use as an impact weapon!
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:03:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Only bother if you can switch them to different batteries like 18650’s.  I can’t imagine using a C or D cell flashlight.  

My Streamlight Ultra stingers with LED upgrades (which stopped being made, then came out from a different place but by then 18650’s were a thing) were pretty decent impact tools.  Would not want to get hit with my newer 3500 lumen Streamlight either…

Admittedly- gotta always be an aluminum body light.  Plastic flashlights suck for use as an impact weapon!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 3 or 4 cell maglight with Cs or Ds would certainly put out enough voltage (4.5-6V) ... and C batteries have some 6000+ mAh and Ds have 8000+ mAh.  I think that would be able to drive a decent head - nothing crazy, but decent.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:09:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By @JellyBelly:

That seems like neat tech. I wonder what the battery life is on one of those devices.
View Quote

https://countycomm.com/products/lep-dx-reach-laser-flashlight-by-maratac

I own the Mini LEP
Below is info on it
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:20:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
RIP 4Sevens. I was sad when I head david sold the business. rightly so. its basically dead now. they used to innovate and push the industry. they were the next lego light after surefire gave up being cool. I was on their site earlier today. just depressing. I still have 1 or two of their lights.

as much as I hate the owners media presence lameness I got one of the PHL2 blems and its impressively powerful and throwy.
View Quote

I think I recall something happening where the factory in Asia wouldn't work with the new owner?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I still got two Surefire 9Ps. Never been opened.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:27:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Remember the old generator powered headlights for bicycles back in the day? I would have killed for a modern LED.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/559744/bicycle_headlight_generator_jpg-3032627.JPG
View Quote
Wow, almost forgot about those. Had one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:45:19 AM EDT
[#11]
It's the battery tech that improved. The new lights are just putting all that juice to work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:47:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's the battery tech that improved. The new lights are just putting all that juice to work.
View Quote

New LEDs are putting out a lot more lumens and runtime for the same voltage and mAh.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow, almost forgot about those. Had one.
View Quote

Yeah, they slowed the bike down and didn't provide much light either.

In the early days of the internet, if you searched for bike light you got instructions on how to make one.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#14]
While light technology improvement has been impressive, I think we all can agree that the technological improvements to brussels sprouts over the last 20 years is the real accomplishment here.

Kidding aside, I will say, the technology improvemetns have bene INSANE.  Look at this shit:

Green LED laser
500 lumen flashlight

USB Lithium rechargeable built in battery.
2" long, 1" high

$25

I bought a pile of them and just leave them mounted on most gun's I have, that have a rail.  It costs nothing.  It weights nothing.  It adds almost no bulk to most any rifle.  

$25, 500 lumen. (plus laser).  There's several guys making various flavors of these to chose from, this is just one example.

Just wow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:02:01 AM EDT
[#15]
It has generally been said already in this thread, but the dollars I have tied up in obsolete weapon lights is absolutely heartbreaking/maddening.  They’re probably the gun related purchase I regret most.  Everything else from acogs to magnifiers have stood the test of time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:04:55 AM EDT
[#16]
LEDs are meh. Lumens are meh. LEPs rock. 250lms and I can see a critter in a field at 1000 yards (with a spotting scope).
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:07:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LEDs are meh. Lumens are meh. LEPs rock. 250lms and I can see a critter in a field at 1000 yards (with a spotting scope).
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:11:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don’t do that! They make for a good johnboat anchor.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:20:11 AM EDT
[#19]
There’s a ton of false advertising, gimmicks, and flimsy products. There’s also some seriously bad ass lights out there. Learn about the brands, and which ones are modest/honest about their products… few are. Learn the difference between lumens, candela, lux, cfi, etc.

Buy some new lights. Check out the budget light forum… I think it’s okay to link them here, since they’re not a competitor like other gun forums. But just google them. Or candle power forum for more pricey stuff.

Your SureFire is still useful, most likely.

I bought a new light to replace my old 200 lumen E2D, and it’s a vast difference. That said, I realized my old light still has a place and didn’t necessarily need to be replaced. I wouldn’t even think of powering on my new light indoors… it’s brighter than the stock 2022 Ford Explorer high beams. There are far brighter lights.

14500 lights make great pocket lights, and they have an impressive output.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:23:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There’s a ton of false advertising, gimmicks, and flimsy products. There’s also some seriously bad ass lights out there. Learn about the brands, and which ones are modest/honest about their products… few are. Learn the difference between lumens, candela, lux, cfi, etc.

Buy some new lights. Check out the budget light forum… I think it’s okay to link them here, since they’re not a competitor like other gun forums. But just google them. Or candle power forum for more pricey stuff.

Your SureFire is still useful, most likely.

I bought a new light to replace my old 200 lumen E2D, and it’s a vast difference. That said, I realized my old light still has a place and didn’t necessarily need to be replaced. I wouldn’t even think of powering on my new light indoors… it’s brighter than the stock 2022 Ford Explorer high beams. There are far brighter lights.

14500 lights make great pocket lights, and they have an impressive output.
View Quote

Much truth.  published lumens (such as my 500 LM example above), are almost bullshit.  I have that unit myself now, and I can't attest that it really is a full 500 lumen, but I can say it's REALLY BRIGHT, and way brighter than the most expensive and much larger lights I had not very long ago at all.  And of course, it's improbable that a $25 unit is "just as good", but they are "good enough", sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 4:31:05 AM EDT
[#21]

The early work of the GWOT was waged with 65-120lm Surefires with 20m-1hr battery life, with bulbs needing to be replaced every few battery changes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 4:33:32 AM EDT
[#22]
When I got my first Surefire M6 I was scanning it across my backyard and swept it over a folded umbrella, was seeing purple spots.
Contrast that to my Glock light at something like 60 lumens, still have it on a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 4:40:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
RIP 4Sevens. I was sad when I head david sold the business. rightly so. its basically dead now. they used to innovate and push the industry. they were the next lego light after surefire gave up being cool. I was on their site earlier today. just depressing. I still have 1 or two of their lights.

as much as I hate the owners media presence lameness I got one of the PHL2 blems and its impressively powerful and throwy.
View Quote

I carried a 4sevens Quark for 10+ years. Fantastic light, and it was so ahead of its time it was still relevant when I retired it.

I stumbled across this brand a few years ago, and my god they joy - its the 4sevens Quark (exact UI and form factor) but now with modern LED's and takes 18650's in addition to 2xCR123.

Best EDC light on the market in my book.

https://www.eagtac.com/product/d25lc2-clicky-mkii/

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 4:42:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
While light technology improvement has been impressive, I think we all can agree that the technological improvements to brussels sprouts over the last 20 years is the real accomplishment here.

Kidding aside, I will say, the technology improvemetns have bene INSANE.  Look at this shit:

Green LED laser
500 lumen flashlight

2" long, 1" high

$25

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61Se08EBAyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I bought a pile of them and just leave them mounted on most gun's I have, that have a rail.  It costs nothing.  It weights nothing.  It adds almost no bulk to most any rifle.  

$25, 500 lumen. (plus laser).  There's several guys making various flavors of these to chose from, this is just one example.

Just wow.
View Quote

Link to the one you bought?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quite long on my acebeam,

Thing is. The throw is almost too narrow
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol. Me too. Hard to believe that used to be “awesome”
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Green LED laser
500 lumen flashlight

2" long, 1" high

$25

Just wow.
View Quote

Do you just have the guns laying around or do you have holsters for them?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Love my 3100 lumen USB rechargeable Fenix tac lights. I use em every day and keep some in our go bags.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you know there's conversion units to make them LED?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I still prefer the old soft light of maglights you could focus along with surefires. I worked straight nights for a decade . My night vision was adjusted and the softer yellow light got rid of more shadows in corners of rooms
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Came across one of my old six cell, original incandescent Maglights earlier this year. For shits & giggles, I loaded it up with Ds, turned off the house lights and turned it on. What an underwhelming amount light with plenty of dark spots.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Lurking in Candlepower forums about 15 years ago was pretty cool.

I ordered lots of shit from Deal Extreme to convert mag lites and build my own lights.

Now you can get way better stuff off the shelf.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or you can update/upgrade them.

Malkoff Devices
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Remember the old generator powered headlights for bicycles back in the day? I would have killed for a modern LED.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/559744/bicycle_headlight_generator_jpg-3032627.JPG
View Quote

yep, had the same one
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just change them to LED.  I did for 3 of mine and they are great.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#38]
I can remember my old Surefire tactical light putting out 60 lumens, and it was the shiznit. My rechargeable Maglight with the halogen bulb was freakin' awesome on patrol. Now, those are weak.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep a 4D maglite in my truck door pocket
For reasons

It might still light up
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I remember the mid 2000’s reading here than anything above 100 lumens will blind you in a CQB scenario. Incandescent was still superior to LED...
View Quote

He'll, I remember reading that same crap right here in this septic tank of mother's basement dwelling cheap office chair LARPERs who fantasize about lining up at the door serving flashbang felony warrants at 0330
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Doubletapped
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Green LED laser
500 lumen flashlight

2" long, 1" high

$25

Just wow.

Rifles
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#43]
On a side note.   I bought 4,Lowe’s flashlights on a clearance deal last year all with Duracell batteries.

I have left them in my vehicles. I came upon an accident a few weeks ago grabbed my flashlight and it didn’t work.
The Duracell batteries had corroded and leaked.  I checked the other three flashlights, and one of them had the same leak

I will never again use Duracell batteries in any of my flashlights.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a bunch of Surefire and Cloud lights, but still keep my old big ass D battery Mag light in the kitchen. I've had it for so long, I can't get rid of it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can remember shooting at night at hogs and coyotes and taking a small car battery to the field to run the 12volt qbeam. Things change. Throw the battery down, sit down, look for hogs or turn on the tape and shine the qbeam and shoot lol.
View Quote

Now you just turn on the thermal.  I usually have an O light i1R 2 in my coat pocket, rechargeable, tiny, doesn't accidentally get turned on and bright enough.
https://www.olightstore.com/i1r-2-pro-keychain-light
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/Flashlight_trio_small-2324491.jpg

One of the first digital photos I ever took, Surefire 3p and 6Z
View Quote

I still use a 6Z for nighttime carry, even though my Glock has a TLR-1S
I have the surefire belt holster and I’ve become hardwired with the hand  position while using a handgun

I’m really looking at Nitecore’s MH12.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Newest bedside light:

Attachment Attached File

Work light for the past 7 years:

Attachment Attached File

Off work, EDC light:

Attachment Attached File

The Surefire Titan is currently screwed up, and going back to Surefire. Really pisses me off, as I needed it last night and didn’t have it. I need another small pocket light.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which model is that?

Seeker 4 Pro

OLight is legit. I’m walking around Dublin, Ireland with a Baton 3 in my pocket. It’s legal everywhere, including airplanes, and the high power and strobe modes will at least give me a chance at temporarily blinding an attacker at night, assuming I see them coming.

You can’t go wrong with OLight.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Green LED laser
500 lumen flashlight

2" long, 1" high

$25

Just wow.

I bought both these.  Both good.  One is slightly bulkier, but better light and better screws.  But it won't work on rails with relief cuts (like an AUG)

Amazon Product
  • \u2705 \u3010Slidable for Full & Compact Rail\u3011Slidable rail offers your the best postion freely. Also makes the pistol laser light combo be compatible with G2C /G3C/ Glocks w/ a rail perfectly. No Sticking out for compact pistols.

Amazon Product
  • \u2705\u3010ONLY ONE Screw + 21MM Width Rail\u3011There are two alternative screw holes, choose one for your preference and use the ONLY ONE SCREW to install the gun light/laser in a perfect location on your 21MM width standard rail with screw slot. Kindly be noted that the \u201cclear space\u201d between your first rail screw slot and the trigger guard should be at least 1.0 inch.

USB built in rechargeable batteries, which is both good and bad.  And obviously these are $25 units, so keep expectations real.  Laser zero on the cheaper one can drift, but not bad.  Try one - at worst it's a powerful cheap light.  I'm upgrading from much crappier stuff that cost a lot more.

I left the green laser on for 8 hours before it started to die.  I would assume the light will go faster, and I still need to test that duration.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I remember these things, manually changing the bulbs mud-climb from brighter/dimmer bulbs when reaching/leaving camp.  Battery packs were ridiculously heavy, and somewhat tough to find in some locales ... and wouldn't last more than an hour or so when using the halogen bulbs.

I remember the initial push into LEDs, and while they weren't as bright as the halogen bulb of the 4.7v(?) Petzl headlamps, and the bluish light took some getting used too, but the batteries, regular AA, lasted so, so much longer.  It was like alien technology.

I just remember starting up this lower face with the old Petzls, and maybe it wasn't all that bad that you couldn't see all the death blocks waiting to cut loose with one misstep or errant pull of a rope.  Today, it's amazing that there seem to be just as many deaths blocks still there despite decades of rock fall.  But, the illumination is better....

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top