User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

the Brits have always hated the Irish.

by the 1920s, the Irish were hating the Italians and Slavic nationalities. Everybody gets their turn in the barrel.
View Quote
Except if you’re black you stay there forever.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Irish are the only group that I know of that have a vehicle named after them...The Paddy Wagon.  Does anybody know what WOP stands for?
View Quote
WOP = With Out Papers.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I was born in Galway, just outside of Headford.

Dual nationality.

I'm English.

My grandad was born in Galway too, as was my Dad and many forebears previous.
Grandad was the second son and was never to inherit the farm, so he was off to the seminary.
Resigned to a life of dress wearing and wanking over choir boys, he had the misfortune to witness two well connected members of sinn fein kick a man to death outside a bar.

He and his fellow seminarians described the attack to the guards and were subsequently told to leave Ireland and never return, or else.
The threat was delivered by a priest and Grandad left Dublin on a boat, as a deckhand and under a different name at the age of nineteen, bound for Canada.

Both of his parents died without seeing their son again.
When grandad was 30, his elder brother died, leaving him the farm and after a while he was told he would be able to return, as long as he kept his alias and made no waves.
My Dad was born in 1941, and by then Grandad reckoned enough time had passed to christen his son with his real family name.
Quite soon after, the message was passed down - 'nothing has been forgiven'.
So, off to wartime Britain, with no prospect of Grandad getting a job and relying on the charity of the church for the next few years.

So, having endured a childhood of miserable trips to the Emerald Isle, with all the attendant cretinousness.
Fuck you lot of bog trotting piss drinkers.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
"From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland's population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain's solution was to auction them off as well.
"During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.

"Many people today will avoid calling the Irish slaves what they truly were: Slaves. They'll come up with terms like "Indentured Servants" to describe what occurred to the Irish. However, in most cases from the 17th and 18th centuries, Irish slaves were nothing more than human cattle.

"As an example, the African slave trade was just beginning during this same period. It is well recorded that African slaves, not tainted with the stain of the hated Catholic theology and more expensive to purchase, were often treated far better than their Irish counterparts.

"African slaves were very expensive during the late 1600s (50 Sterling). Irish slaves came cheap (no more than 5 Sterling). If a planter whipped or branded or beat an Irish slave to death, it was never a crime. A death was a monetary setback, but far cheaper than killing a more expensive African. The English masters quickly began breeding the Irish women for both their own personal pleasure and for greater profit. Children of slaves were themselves slaves, which increased the size of the master's free workforce. Even if an Irish woman somehow obtained her freedom, her kids would remain slaves of her master. Thus, Irish moms, even with this new found emancipation, would seldom abandon their kids and would remain in servitude.

"In time, the English thought of a better way to use these women (in many cases, girls as young as 12) to increase their market share: The settlers began to breed Irish women and girls with African men to produce slaves with a distinct complexion. These new "mulatto" slaves brought a higher price than Irish livestock and, likewise, enabled the settlers to save money rather than purchase new African slaves. "

England's Irish Slaves
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
At what point in history could a black man own an Irish man? How many Irishmen were lynched from 1700 to 1963? Not really the same thing.
View Quote
This is from the NAACP, not Irish but white people.

"From 1882-1968, 4,743 lynchings occurred in the United States.  Of these people that were lynched 3,446 were black.  The blacks lynched accounted for 72.7% of the people lynched."

Horrible right? they obviously targeted blacks for death for smiling at white women.

But if we use the violent crime rates today and the greater concentration of blacks in the south vs the 13% nation wide.... Well they probably would have just as likely lynched white dude for rape or murder but blacks committed the crime more often.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland's population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain's solution was to auction them off as well.
"During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.

"Many people today will avoid calling the Irish slaves what they truly were: Slaves. They'll come up with terms like "Indentured Servants" to describe what occurred to the Irish. However, in most cases from the 17th and 18th centuries, Irish slaves were nothing more than human cattle.

"As an example, the African slave trade was just beginning during this same period. It is well recorded that African slaves, not tainted with the stain of the hated Catholic theology and more expensive to purchase, were often treated far better than their Irish counterparts.

"African slaves were very expensive during the late 1600s (50 Sterling). Irish slaves came cheap (no more than 5 Sterling). If a planter whipped or branded or beat an Irish slave to death, it was never a crime. A death was a monetary setback, but far cheaper than killing a more expensive African. The English masters quickly began breeding the Irish women for both their own personal pleasure and for greater profit. Children of slaves were themselves slaves, which increased the size of the master's free workforce. Even if an Irish woman somehow obtained her freedom, her kids would remain slaves of her master. Thus, Irish moms, even with this new found emancipation, would seldom abandon their kids and would remain in servitude.

"In time, the English thought of a better way to use these women (in many cases, girls as young as 12) to increase their market share: The settlers began to breed Irish women and girls with African men to produce slaves with a distinct complexion. These new "mulatto" slaves brought a higher price than Irish livestock and, likewise, enabled the settlers to save money rather than purchase new African slaves. "

England's Irish Slaves
View Quote
Facts be racisssss.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Proof it's not a color thing but a cukture thing
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Disliking Italians isn’t even racist, it just makes sense
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't forget Italians and slavs.
Disliking Italians isn’t even racist, it just makes sense
Yeah, smart guy
Wait until your crime is all DISorganized and you can’t grt a good pizza
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

England's Irish Slaves
View Quote
Fuck off.
My family were horse traders and farmers,  all over the southern coast from as far back as the sixteen hundredths.

The were not a '100,000' children between the ages of 10 and 14 in the whole of Ireland in the 1650's.

These new "mulatto" slaves brought a higher price than Irish livestock and, likewise, enabled the settlers to save money rather than purchase new African slaves. " - absolute ignorant shit, indescribably wrong.

" Irish mom's" - mam, mum, mammy or mummy, never fucking 'mom', or you'll get a thick ear for talking like a Yankee twat.

"If a planter whipped or branded or beat an Irish slave to death, it was never a crime. A death was a monetary setback, but far cheaper than killing a more expensive African. The English masters quickly began breeding the Irish women for both their own personal pleasure" - ostentaciously wrong, and moreover hysterically cuntorious.

This is why I so dislike the Irish, of which I am.
Most of the Irish are either religiously fucking pig ignorant or so slimily Liberal you would be sick.
Europe is all that matters to most modern Irish folk.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
Those are service industries in people's houses.  I bet if it was PC today, you'd have a lot of people restricting who they would want cooking for their family, cleaning for their family, and taking care of their family.

However, the idea that down 5th avenue, all the shops had NO IRISH signs, is again, revisionist horse shit to make middle and upper middle class Irish people feel like they "overcame" "hatred".
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those are service industries in people's houses.  I bet if it was PC today, you'd have a lot of people restricting who they would want cooking for their family, cleaning for their family, and taking care of their family.

However, the idea that down 5th avenue, all the shops had NO IRISH signs, is again, revisionist horse shit to make middle and upper middle class Irish people feel like they "overcame" "hatred".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The South lost because they sucked at making war. No staff, poor intelligence, no logistics, poor strategy.

Fresh off the boat Irish were used extensively by both sides during the war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The part immediately following that is why the North won the war: no matter how many Feds you shot down they could(unconstitutionally) keep their ranks filled with fresh meat for the grinder.  The war was about time, not tactics.  The South could never replace men anywhere near that rate with the Naval blockade in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jcvpEOl9ug

The men in the video were mid war replacements for the 69th N.Y., more commonly known as "The Irish Brigade".
The South lost because they sucked at making war. No staff, poor intelligence, no logistics, poor strategy.

Fresh off the boat Irish were used extensively by both sides during the war.
Which port were Irish from Europe (or anywhere for that matter) coming directly into the South?  The US Navy didn't sit out the Civil War ya know
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At what point in history could a black man own an Irish man? How many Irishmen were lynched from 1700 to 1963? Not really the same thing.
View Quote
Yep.

The Irish were shit on plenty in their history and yes many were forced into indentured servitude, but comparing that to chattel slavery is completely asinine.

But maybe I need to explain the differences between indentured servitude and chattel slavery?

Not even in the same league. And I'm half Irish.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Which port were Irish from Europe (or anywhere for that matter) coming directly into the South?  The US Navy didn't sit out the Civil War ya know
View Quote
Indeed. But there were people getting in the South. Obviously not with the ease of the North (the blockade, as you mention) but also sailing times and economic realities (there were far more positions for unskilled migrants in the North, than in the South, and better wages.)

The idea that the South was just overwhelmed by a mass of immediately imported and ill-lead Irish peasants isn't reality, even if the fact that foreign born, primarily Irish soldiers were common. Most people who fought in the Civil War were already here in 1861, even if they were foreign born (in the case primarily of the Irish and Germans.)
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We wuz paddies
View Quote
Prods or Teigs?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Most Irish Americans who sympathize with the IRA or try comparing Irish indentured servitude to African chattel slavery (as if it's somehow remotely related and thus just as terrible) understand very little of Irish history.

Watching Gangs of New York and Boondock Saints doesn't make you a fucking subject matter expert on Irish history - this is honestly where the majority of Irish Americans get their fervor from. I used to be the same way (being half Irish myself), but then I started reading and learning about all sides of the story of the Irish - not just from IRA sympathizers and drunken hooligans. Calling the Irish "slaves" is misleading. And to address the OP - yes, they had a shitty time when coming to the United States, but the last time I checked they weren't treated (literally) like fucking farm animals...

So, just stop with this comparing the Irish to African slaves - it's completely retarded.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mexican isn’t a race either but they are trying to make it so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Irish isn't a race, OP is an idiot.
Mexican isn’t a race either but they are trying to make it so.
This.

Mexicans and Irish are not races but you get called a racist if you make fun of Mexicans.

We wuz kangs. Or were we? Hell if I know, my ancestors were probably too drunk to give a shit.

(Irish Catholic).
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Most Irish Americans who sympathize with the IRA or try comparing Irish indentured servitude to African chattel slavery (as if it's somehow remotely related and thus just as terrible) understand very little of Irish history.

Watching Gangs of New York and Boondock Saints doesn't make you a fucking subject matter expert on Irish history - this is honestly where the majority of Irish Americans get their fervor from. I used to be the same way (being half Irish myself), but then I started reading and learning about all sides of the story of the Irish - not just from IRA sympathizers and drunken hooligans. Calling the Irish "slaves" is misleading. And to address the OP - yes, they had a shitty time when coming to the United States, but the last time I checked they weren't treated (literally) like fucking farm animals...

So, just stop with this comparing the Irish to African slaves - it's completely retarded.
View Quote
The point I was trying to make was BLM seems to be the big talking point of the left but so many others have been on the receiving end of racism and hatred in this country.

Now you have reverse racism and this idea that the nation owes those a debt we can't repay....sorry but the answer is no we don't.
This white guilt crap gets old really fucking fast.

Sorry man just talking in general.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The point I was trying to make was BLM seems to be the big talking point of the left but so many others have been on the receiving end of racism and hatred in this country.

Now you have reverse racism and this idea that the nation owes those a debt we can't repay....sorry but the answer is no we don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand and I agree with you. Not a fan of white guilt either - it doesn't make any sense.

It just grinds my gears when people (not necessarily you) compare the Irish to the African slave trade. Find a different approach because that one doesn't work - at all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
why did everyone hate them anyways
View Quote
They may have been a little rough around the edges.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
What's the difference between being lynched, dying of malaria, or worked to death?

The number of lynchings has been overblown anyway.

They used the Irish to drain swampland around New Orleans.  Slaves were too valuable.  And you only had to pay the Irishman if he was still alive at the end of the day.

The NE Yankee Protestants will be along soon to tell you the Irish were treated well.  The fact the Irish were considered to be "human ballast" on the filthy slave ships that brought them to the New World is simply unimportant.

Many Irish females ended up in the West Indies to be used as breeding stock to pop out more black slave children.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quite a few Irish Catholics deserted the US army to fight for Mexico during the Mexican American War.
View Quote
Was the San Patricio Regiment really very large?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm half Irish and half Pollock so the jokes just keep on coming.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quite a few Irish Catholics deserted the US army to fight for Mexico during the Mexican American War.
Not terribly, nor was it very or exclusively Irish.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
maggiethecat insists the term “race” has had anything but an arbitrary and ever-changing meaning relative to different human groups, but somehow it’s the OP who’s the idiot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Neither is black, african, hispanic, asian, etc. There is only one race, Homo Sapien. So despite calling the term "racism", any group is equally qualified to be categorized as suffering from racism when judged by appearance, culture, etc.,

Anything else would be a doublestandard based off of the same criteria and as such, racist.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because they came here in their potato boats.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
People overlook the Irish because in America, white people are all the same... right?
View Quote
According to this guy, the secret was to join the WASPs in hating the negros.

https://www.amazon.com/Irish-Became-White-Routledge-Classics/dp/0415963095
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Neither is black, african, hispanic, asian, etc. There is only one race, Homo Sapien. So despite calling the term "racism", any group is equally qualified to be categorized as suffering from racism when judged by appearance, culture, etc.,

Anything else would be a doublestandard based off of the same criteria and as such, racist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Satire is impossible.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Decries cartoonish history, by providing cartoonish history.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If it wasn't for whiskey we would have taken over the world.
View Quote
This is true .
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Satire is impossible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Satire is impossible.
There are probably some interesting points and observations in that book, but the absurdity of the underlying premise is tough to get past.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One race with 74 genders.  Duh
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There are probably some interesting points and observations in that book, but the absurdity of the underlying premise is tough to get past.
View Quote
Triangulation as a war termination strategy is as old as the hills, my favorite being the end of kinetic Anglo-American fighting by both sides implicitly agreeing to shamefully abandon their Indian proxies.

That said, many abused minorities have achieved success through hard work and steady achievement, the Irish being among the first, but the Chinese, Vietnamese, Italians, Eastern Europeans, Jews and others who can rightfully claim similar success stories.

Indeed, the current utterly ham-fisted attempts to do the same for African Americans via a weird narrative of self-liberation from an overseer class are in marked contrast to all of the above.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
GD hates so called Irish-Americans.

Same with the Catholics.

If you are Irish Catholic, then it is strike two in GD Land.
View Quote
It finally makes sense why I'm not a GD God!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nope those signs didn't exist.

They're a modern created kitch for Irish folks too hang in their rec rooms.

There was "no irish" listed on things like nanny type positions, but the widespread myth that signs were up and Irish were looked on like blacks is pure horse shit.
View Quote
Wow, all it took was an 8th grader to make you look ignorant.

I'd hate to be proven wrong by an 8th grader.  But don't worry, you have good company.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
They were dirt poor, low-skilled, uneducated fighting alcoholic, lived with pigs in Ireland.  When they came to the US they brought all that with them.  Sound familiar?  Over time they became more assimilated and left those backwards ways behind.

"Thomas Sowell - A Brief History of the Irish" is very informative

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because their music sucks, it sucks sooooooooooo bad.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#42]
SOOO overlooked!  It's been at least a week since I've heard some drunk ranting about this subject.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They were predominantly Catholic in a protestant area. Heck, there used to be laws prohibiting Catholics from seeking public office in various parts of the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were predominantly Catholic in a protestant area. Heck, there used to be laws prohibiting Catholics from seeking public office in various parts of the country.
You act like that was a bad thing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm going to correct you just a wee bit.

They weren't treated literally like fucking farm animals...once they were in the United States.

Jonathan Swift literally wrote a famous satire piece against the English campaign of Ireland - boiled down, "How do we further subjugate these people for money? IDK we could eat their children that sounds cool"
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Catholics.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Because their music sucks, it sucks sooooooooooo bad.
View Quote
You obviously lack taste and discrimination

I'm at work or I'd link some Pogues
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Indeed. But there were people getting in the South. Obviously not with the ease of the North (the blockade, as you mention) but also sailing times and economic realities (there were far more positions for unskilled migrants in the North, than in the South, and better wages.)

The idea that the South was just overwhelmed by a mass of immediately imported and ill-lead Irish peasants isn't reality, even if the fact that foreign born, primarily Irish soldiers were common. Most people who fought in the Civil War were already here in 1861, even if they were foreign born (in the case primarily of the Irish and Germans.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My great great grandfather was a German Jew who pretty much got mustered into the Union Army not long after arriving in NY.  I wonder what he would have thought about my choice in colleges.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nope those signs didn't exist.

They're a modern created kitch for Irish folks too hang in their rec rooms.

There was "no irish" listed on things like nanny type positions, but the widespread myth that signs were up and Irish were looked on like blacks is pure horse shit.
View Quote
Between you saying it didn't happen and Thomas Sowell saying it did happen, I'm going with Thomas Sowell.

Blacks were preferred to Irish as tenants in some areas; sometimes the signs would say "Protestants preferred", but everyone knew what that meant.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dogs are all Canis Familiaris but are you saying a Chihuahua, Doberman, and husky are the same thing?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They weren't treated literally like fucking farm animals...once they were in the United States.

Jonathan Swift literally wrote a famous satire piece against the English campaign of Ireland - boiled down, "How do we further subjugate these people for money? IDK we could eat their children that sounds cool"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Modest Proposal.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top