Whiskey
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Coolers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My Sub is 22 years old, has soaked up two lifetimes of abuse from daily wear and continues to keep excellent time. I can't think of a single competitor that builds an iconic mechanical watch to the same standard.

OTOH, I have a Montblanc Meisterstuck Platinum that was given to me as a gift that's collecting dust in my safe. It's a nice design, but I've never seen the value in a $500+ pen made of "precious resin", with three platinum coated rings.
View Quote

The value of a Rolex is entirely tied up in its perceived status and scarcity. They purposely don't build enough product to meet demand to create that value.

Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Pappy
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can, or just buy another casio.

I have several Walmart watches.  Water resistant, stylish.  They cost about $20-ish.  The batteries last about 2 years.  I have a panic attack when the battery dies: Do I replace the battery for about $15, or just buy a new watch?  I lose sleep over that, I tell ya.
View Quote

So they don’t do the same thing, correct?

I understand there is a Rolex tax. I also understand that they are fantastically designed durable feats of engineering that will last generations. You can buy a Casio, it’s “JuSt As GoOd, but it’s not the same.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In 20 years, the Rolex will be worth 2x - 3x more than you paid for it and the Casio, well, nothing.

BMW R1200GS Adventure - my current bike does exactly the same, but I've been lusting after the 1200GS for a while.  Stupid expensive parts, but damnit, I want one.

Omega Speed Master is on the list, as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts on Rolex are more so along the lines of it being a status symbol.  It does nothing a $30 Casio can’t functionally or practically speaking for 99.9% of people.

That said, I understand the statement it makes, especially in certain settings.  That statement is more so due to the cost that it is anything else, though.

I don’t work in a field nor do I spend time in any social circles where that statement would provide any value, so I’m clearly speaking from the outside in here.  

In 20 years, the Rolex will be worth 2x - 3x more than you paid for it and the Casio, well, nothing.

BMW R1200GS Adventure - my current bike does exactly the same, but I've been lusting after the 1200GS for a while.  Stupid expensive parts, but damnit, I want one.

Omega Speed Master is on the list, as well.

But in the context to this thread you proved the point. It is a watch that tells time like many others, but is sought after because of its price and what price it can appreciate to.

Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But in the context to this thread you proved the point. It is a watch that tells time like many others, but is sought after because of its price and what price it can appreciate to.

View Quote

Tell me you don’t know anything about automatic watches without telling me you don’t know anything about automatic watches.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So they don’t do the same thing, correct?

I understand there is a Rolex tax. I also understand that they are fantastically designed durable feats of engineering that will last generations. You can buy a Casio, it’s “JuSt As GoOd, but it’s not the same.
View Quote

You're right, they aren't the same.  At all.  All Rolexes ever made dream of keeping time as well as the cheapest Casio ever made.

Also, you can get Casios with a digital stopwatch, altimeter, backlights, alarms, and all sorts of other doodads if that's your thing (I don't, but it's available.)
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hilti, Festool, Snap-on, Mac Tools

maybe the performance difference was better in the past, but with batteries getting as good as they are I dont see anything that these accomplish above milwaukee, dewalt or makita
View Quote

As far as electric maybe, but their wrenches and sockets hands down are the best, if you turn wrenches every day, you need the good stuff
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The value of a Rolex is entirely tied up in its perceived status and scarcity. They purposely don't build enough product to meet demand to create that value.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Sub is 22 years old, has soaked up two lifetimes of abuse from daily wear and continues to keep excellent time. I can't think of a single competitor that builds an iconic mechanical watch to the same standard.

OTOH, I have a Montblanc Meisterstuck Platinum that was given to me as a gift that's collecting dust in my safe. It's a nice design, but I've never seen the value in a $500+ pen made of "precious resin", with three platinum coated rings.

I don't think you can say that a Rolex is SOLELY valued because it is expensive. Yeah, the scarcity and prestige plays a (large? That's probably debatable) role, but it's still a quality product, and has been for a long time, no matter how well a Timex tells time.

Designer clothing is probably closer. It's all made in the same sweatshops as your Gap jeans, and probably falls apart just as fast.

I'm surprised that diamonds haven't been mentioned more, since their popularity is in many ways due to advertising campaigns of the DaBeers company.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#11]
High class whores
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tell me you don’t know anything about automatic watches without telling me you don’t know anything about automatic watches.
View Quote

I know they are heavy, thiccccc, tell time poorly, and require costly "tune-ups" (!!) to continue telling time poorly.  They also need something called "winding".  I remember winding an old Timex I had as a kid.  I thought winding went out with dial phones?
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My first thought.  I could never bring myself to pay the $400 they want for a simple cast iron skillet, even if I won lottery.
View Quote

To expand on this, anything made in America. The rest of the world can make things just as good, but made in America is valuable because it's expensive.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Flagship Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras.
View Quote

Compared to what? Their own mid-tier offerings, or cheap cameras?

I'll agree they are overpriced, but the performance difference between something like an EOS R5 and a Rebel is undeniable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't think you can say that a Rolex is SOLELY valued because it is expensive. Yeah, the scarcity and prestige plays a (large? That's probably debatable) role, but it's still a quality product, and has been for a long time, no matter how well a Timex tells time.

Designer clothing is probably closer. It's all made in the same sweatshops as your Gap jeans, and probably falls apart just as fast.

I'm surprised that diamonds haven't been mentioned more, since their popularity is in many ways due to advertising campaigns of the DaBeers company.
View Quote

Diamonds have been mentioned.  They cost $$$ because chicks dig them and men dig chicks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're right, they aren't the same.  At all.  All Rolexes ever made dream of keeping time as well as the cheapest Casio ever made.

Also, you can get Casios with a digital stopwatch, altimeter, backlights, alarms, and all sorts of other doodads if that's your thing (I don't, but it's available.)
View Quote

Made with circuits and electronics that will fail far before a rolex movement. Again, they are different. If you can’t appreciate the complexity of a high quality of automatic movement that value will be lost on you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know they are heavy, thiccccc, tell time poorly, and require costly "tune-ups" (!!) to continue telling time poorly.  They also need something called "winding".  I remember winding an old Timex I had as a kid.  I thought winding went out with dial phones?
View Quote

Lol, tell me where the nice watch touched you?

Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Made with circuits and electronics that will fail far before a rolex movement. Again, they are different. If you can’t appreciate the complexity of a high quality of automatic movement that value will be lost on you.
View Quote

I fully appreciate complexity when complexity is required.  In a timepiece, complexity is counter-productive.  It needs to tell the time accurately.  That is its Prime Directive.  Mechanical watch accuracy = fail.

Lots of Rolex movements fail.  They even have a shop where you can send it for $$$ so they can repair it!  True story.  It also needs regular tune-ups to remain mediocrely accurate.

Yes, they are different.  We agree 100%.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lol, tell me where the nice watch touched you?

View Quote

See my post above.  Buy what you want.  Nobody cares about your real/fake Rolex.  But don't try to foist off the story on us that they are "better" at doing what watches are meant to do - telling time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me you don't have the ability to understand the subject without....oh fuck, I can't do the stupid worn out saying. Its just makes people who still do it lame.

My God, you even stated Automatic Watches (meaning the type of product made by several different companies) and not just the brand Rolex.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I fully appreciate complexity when complexity is required.  In a timepiece, complexity is counter-productive.  It needs to tell the time accurately.  That is its Prime Directive.  Mechanical watch accuracy = fail.

Lots of Rolex movements fail.  They even have a shop where you can send it for $$$ so they can repair it!  True story.  It also needs regular tune-ups to remain mediocrely accurate.

Yes, they are different.  We agree 100%.
View Quote

Complexity in a timepiece is counter productive? Bruh your watch has microchips in it….
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Tell me you don't have the ability to understand the subject without....oh fuck, I can't do the stupid worn out saying. Its just makes people who still do it lame.

My God, you even stated Automatic Watches (meaning the type of product made by several different companies) and not just the brand Rolex.
View Quote

My point is if you understood automatic watches you would appreciate the complexity of a Rolex movement. Is that clear enough or are you lame?
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Rolex
View Quote

You shut your whore mouth.  

A Rolex can be traded for airfare back to the states for two anywhere on the planet.  Other high end watches not do much.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Complexity in a timepiece is counter productive? Bruh your watch has microchips in it….
View Quote

And it has three moving parts - the hour hand, the minute hand, and the second hand.  The mechanical watch has 8700 moving parts, or more.  

You know, it's a damn good thing there aren't any microchips in a modern commercial aircraft.  Those things are so unreliable, we could all die!
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#25]
A whole bunch of bourbon, Scotch, and wine comes to my mind first.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Gold.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol at the triggered Rolex owners. It’s an investment! Jewelry for boys.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wine/liquor/beer

Knives

Cars

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Fight me!
View Quote

I'll fight you over whiskey and knives...and SOME cars.

I came here to post "Rolex". And I'm into watches, or was. They make a fantastic watch, but the asking price is way out of line with the watch and more reflective of the "image" they sell through their marketing. I'd love a Tudor BB58, which are substantially cheaper, but even those are also overpriced...
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hardly-Davidsons
View Quote

I love my Harley. Fight me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone please post the pawn shop scene from Trading Places!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeti everything
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

You've never heard of "Seiko"? Huh, thought everyone had...you should read up on the 6309 dive watch. Plenty of mechanicals, if serviced, can be made to last a really long time.

I'm into pens, too. There are huge differences, but not ones that should make the pen cost what they ask. And I say that having pens more expensive than Mont Blancs (Pelikans, Visconti, etc...).
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Jewelry
Whiskey
Clothes
Shoes
Small rifle primers
View Quote

Jewelry is probably the best answer here.  It has no function really, other than looking good and being very expensive.  It seems that many people use it to flaunt their wealth.  The markup is usually pretty obscene too when bought retail.  

At least all precious metals have some kind of industrial use.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And it has three moving parts - the hour hand, the minute hand, and the second hand.  The mechanical watch has 8700 moving parts, or more.  

You know, it's a damn good thing there aren't any microchips in a modern commercial aircraft.  Those things are so unreliable, we could all die!
View Quote

Edit: never mind, enjoy your timex. To each their own.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing wrong with men wearing jewelry.  But we should be honest about it.  It's man-jewels that tell time mediocrely.  People spend $ on worse things.  Eh.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Old porcelain and neon signs.

good lord some of those are in the high five figures and low six figures.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My point is if you understood automatic watches you would appreciate the complexity of a Rolex movement. Is that clear enough or are you lame?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is Rolex the only company that makes automatic watches? Out of the companies that make automatic watches that you appreciate, why is the Rolex brand the most well known and why do they appreciate in price.
I'm not talking about a cheap Casio, smart watch, or oven clock. I'm talking about why most people (not you and your appreciation and knowledge of fine automatic time pieces) buy them.
Why are they so well known and on every Gangster rappers and CEO arm?
Name recognition and show of wealth for most instances.
Nobody is trying to insult your love and knowledge of automatic watches or your choice of what you purchase. It's a good example of a product that fits with the original premise of the thread. That's all. No offense meant to your appreciation and knowledge of automatic watches.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So a circuit board is less complex than a mechanical movement. Neat.

Ah yes, the ‘ol airplanes to watch comparison, the argument of the thinking man.

View Quote

A circuit board is MUCH less complex than a mechanical movement is some important ways.  It's silicon wafer.  No moving parts.  MUCH more reliable.

You might not know this, but your car has them too.  And your microwave oven.  And the LED bulbs in your light fixtures.  It's not just for aeroplanes, spanky.

Mechanical watches are the steampunk equivalent of timepieces.  And that's OK.  Steampunk has a place in society.  Fortunately, not where reliability and accuracy really matter.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'll agree they are overpriced, but the performance difference between something like an EOS R5 and a Rebel is undeniable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flagship Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras.

And their flagship cameras and lenses aren't desirable "solely" due to their high cost. They're desirable because they offer top performance. Whether an individual has the skills to make use of that extra capability, is a different question.

As others have pointed out, though; most expensive fashion items are coveted for no other reason than the fact that they're expensive. They aren't really made significantly better. The materials aren't really significantly better.

I know a couple who bought his and hers Christian Louboutin shoes. A designer whose shoes are known for having red soles. Do they look 5-10x better than other shoes? Nope. Do they hold up 5-10x better? Nope. Same thing with Yeezy's. Ugly ass shoes, coveted by a gullible demographic, because they're expensive.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is Rolex the only company that makes automatic watches? Out of the companies that make automatic watches that you appreciate, why is the Rolex brand the most well known and why do they appreciate in price.
I'm not talking about a cheap Casio, smart watch, or oven clock. I'm talking about why most people (not you and your appreciation and knowledge of fine automatic time pieces) buy them.
Why are they so well known and on every Gangster rappers and CEO arm?
Name recognition and show of wealth for most instances.
Nobody is trying to insult your love and knowledge of automatic watches or your choice of what you purchase. It's a good example of a product that fits with the original premise of the thread. That's all. No offense meant to your appreciation and knowledge of automatic watches.
View Quote

In an honest, no-snark answer, I appreciate Rolex as a top tier (not the best, but damn near) automatic movement due to their perpetual sweep, accuracy, and timeless design. Is it a status symbol? Absolutely! But unlike a Louis Vuitton handbag, a Rolex gives you something for the price and, despite what the Casio people think, accomplishes what few and far between watch makers are capable of.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Of all the things I thought I would never see is when watch snobs want to argue about complications and how less moving parts equal more complicated.

Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Handbags and caviar
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A circuit board is MUCH less complex than a mechanical movement is some important ways.  It's silicon wafer.  No moving parts.  MUCH more reliable.

You might not know this, but your car has them too.  And your microwave oven.  And the LED bulbs in your light fixtures.  It's not just for aeroplanes, spanky.

Mechanical watches are the steampunk equivalent of timepieces.  And that's OK.  Steampunk has a place in society.  Fortunately, not where reliability and accuracy really matter.
View Quote

Alright, I get it - we won’t agree on this. Can you at least drop the cunty rhetorical questions? You’re also being dishonest if you think lightbulb, microwave, or airplane circuitry will survive as long as a mechanical watch without replacement. Sparky. Enjoy your $20 timepiece and utilitarian lifestyle and I’ll move on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

HookBurgleTM will make us rich
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Expensive pocket knives.

99.9% of people would probably find more functionality in a simple Swiss Army Knife than their fancy $250 flipper.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche, Land Rover, Maybach, Rolls Royce, etc.

Expensive and overhyped luxury status symbols.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My thoughts on Rolex are more so along the lines of it being a status symbol.  It does nothing a $30 Casio can’t functionally or practically speaking for 99.9% of people.

That said, I understand the statement it makes, especially in certain settings.  That statement is more so due to the cost that it is anything else, though.

I don’t work in a field nor do I spend time in any social circles where that statement would provide any value, so I’m clearly speaking from the outside in here.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rolex

It’s nice to have bail money on your person at all times.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Price and appreciation aren't what the Sub is about. You missed the "iconic" part of my post. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of legitimate Submariner homages. By that I mean that aren't counterfeits, they're watches made by other manufacturers with similar (and in some cases almost identical) styling. That isn't by accident... because imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery. It's arguably one of, if not the most beautifully styled watches ever made. There are relatively few mechanical devices in their respective usage that meet that standard...instantly recognizable not for their cost, but for the respect that design commands as a classic.

In the pantheon of watch brands, a Sub isn't particularly expensive either. You can buy tarted-up models, but the original is stainless steel with a black face and bezel. It's priced somewhat out of the mainstream, but is laughably affordable compared to the higher end of sport chronos. You won't impress anyone with money wearing one, believe me. My wife paid $4.2K two decades ago for mine, and it topped out at about $12K on the grey market during the frenzy. It's still on my wrist, because that appreciation didn't mean a thing to me.

Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Delete
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top